PDA

View Full Version : Porygon- Pokemon or man-made creation?

Frostweaver
October 16th, 2003, 10:55 PM
Porygon is a rather interesting Pokemon... in the anime (in the banned episode) "Porygon the Electric Soldier" certainly doesn't treat Porygon as much of a living Pokemon at all. Being called "data" Pokemon, having the ability to travel in space and using rather an interesting item for evolution, should Porygon be treated as a Pokemon at all?

Sturm
October 17th, 2003, 12:02 AM
Porygon is man-made pokemon...but Porygon is still pokemon as well as Magnemite and Voltorb...

Spike Razzor
October 17th, 2003, 03:00 AM
Mewtwo is a man-made clone.

Kairi
October 17th, 2003, 05:45 AM
The game is a little unclear as to how Porygon is projected into the real world to battle other Pokmon. It could be it's body is a mechanical shell, and the data is downloaded and uploaded from it, or it could be some method of harnessing the data's will.

Did I trigger this topic? o.o;

shiny_jiggly
October 17th, 2003, 06:07 AM
The game is a little unclear as to how Porygon is projected into the real world to battle other Pokmon. It could be it's body is a mechanical shell, and the data is downloaded and uploaded from it, or it could be some method of harnessing the data's will.
Hehe.....reminds me of yugioh's card duels in the anime (card scans brings out monster holograms). Hey maybe Porygon outside in battle was meant to be a hologram of it's virtual self, but it still doesn't make much sense. I don't care much about it since Pokemon isn't real.
After all all these are the result of someone's inspiration!

Porygon
October 17th, 2003, 07:29 AM
I'm thinking holograms, myself. I mean, considering the advanced technology in the series, it wouldn't surprise me. It should be treated like a Pokmon, though, simply because well, for instance, it has a number [137], can use attacks like any other Pokmon, and well, it is. Just because it's manmade, doesn't mean it can't be alive and be an official Pokmon.

Iveechan
October 17th, 2003, 08:33 AM
It also has a rather bland type: normal. Which means it can be harmed by fighting attacks. Personally, I think that Porygon should have been Psychic (unless they made a digital type), it would make sense for a mysterious psychic force to hold the blocky body pieces together (in stadium, porygon falls apart when it loses).

And the thing about mewtwo... unlike Porygon, mewtwo is organic.

Porygon
October 17th, 2003, 09:44 AM
Actually, its being Normal allows it to be very versatile in its techniquelearning abilities--if it was Psychic, for instance, it wouldn't make sense that it can learn such a wide range of technique types. That's what I like about the Normal element; its versatility.

Timbjerr
October 17th, 2003, 10:31 AM
hey! a digital elemental type...that's a good idea...

I always thought of Porygon as kind of a digital duck (I mean, look at any of its sprites...it looks like a duck) I say that it was man-made (just like Magnemite and Voltorb probably were), but it still a fully equipped pokmon ready to battle...

jynx
October 17th, 2003, 11:06 AM
hey! a digital elemental type...that's a good idea...

I always thought of Porygon as kind of a digital duck (I mean, look at any of its sprites...it looks like a duck) I say that it was man-made (just like Magnemite and Voltorb probably were), but it still a fully equipped pokmon ready to battle...
Porygon II looks like a toy duck to me.
I really thought that it was one when I first saw it

invinible
October 19th, 2003, 03:57 PM
How about making 2 types to change Porygon to? Virtual and Locic.

Rift
October 19th, 2003, 06:43 PM
In Stadium 2 Porygon 2 bobbs his head up and down like one of this toys that sucks water then comes back up!

shiny_jiggly
October 19th, 2003, 07:06 PM
Actually, its being Normal allows it to be very versatile in its techniquelearning abilities--if it was Psychic, for instance, it wouldn't make sense that it can learn such a wide range of technique types. That's what I like about the Normal element; its versatility.
Indeed, and Chanseys and Jigglypuffs learning Psychic is cool. The only problem about normal types is their defense.

Porygon
October 20th, 2003, 09:35 AM
Not always. I'll have to do some more research, but I'm sure that there's at least 1 Normaltype with high defense.

Keleri
October 20th, 2003, 06:41 PM
I am of the school of thought that all pokemon are man-made, but whatever you like. :)

Porygon
October 21st, 2003, 07:17 AM
Not always. I'll have to do some more research, but I'm sure that there's at least 1 Normaltype with high defense.Hehe I was right. My research has lead me to find that there is indeed at least one Normaltype with high Defense Smeargle.

Timbjerr
October 21st, 2003, 12:28 PM
Snorlax come to mind when I think of high-defense normal types...

Kairi
October 21st, 2003, 12:29 PM

Snorlax has high Special Defense but very poor Defense. It's Curse+high HP and Rest that makes it horrid to fight.

Frostweaver
October 21st, 2003, 02:37 PM
normal types tend to have a higher special defense compare to their normal defense. It's their ability to learn so much variations of buffing attacks such as curse and amnesia that makes up for their lack of defense...

In almost all situation (special situations are when stat upers are used beforehand), a normal type shouldn't go up against a fighting Pokemon if both pokemon has full hp. Even with psychic it's hard to take down fighting types for normal types. Even for the almight snorlax things will be very hard for it against a fighting type if it hasn't been cursed up yet.

jynx
October 22nd, 2003, 08:52 AM
It is not partically high! ?_?
It is quite low really.

I think Normal type suits Porygon.

Iveechan
October 22nd, 2003, 09:42 AM
Miltank is the only normal-type I can think of who has real good Defense. Porygon should have the color-change like ability, that would be neat. It would block off the need for conversion and conversion2.

Frostweaver
October 22nd, 2003, 03:12 PM
i think it's better Porygon family don't have color change... color change is cool but fatal in battle. Imagine a shedinja can simply do this...

-first hit color changing pokemon with aerial ace
-opponent becomes flying type
-hit the opponent with shadowball
-opponent becomes ghost type
-hit the opponent with a STAB super effective shadowball now...

not the best example but you get the point...

Porygon
October 23rd, 2003, 06:59 AM
Miltank is the only normal-type I can think of who has real good Defense. Porygon should have the color-change like ability, that would be neat. It would block off the need for conversion and conversion2.Those techniques are a Porygon's copyright! Trust me, if you can stand waiting for the right element to come around, C2 is the best defensive attack. You choose when it's used, and it switches to a defensive element, unlike the colourchange thing, which from what I can see changes to the same attack element. Besides, it's easy to restore with Conversion.

Kairi
October 23rd, 2003, 07:07 AM
A better example is Dragon Claw or Breath, repeat times are super-effective. ^_^

TeNk
October 23rd, 2003, 01:10 PM
Well everyone must agree : Normal pokemon >>> All other pokemon.

Frostweaver
October 23rd, 2003, 03:00 PM
Well everyone must agree : Normal pokemon >>> All other pokemon.

not really... there is never a defined "best types" unless it's one of those one type only battle. Normal Pokemon involves Blissey, Snorlax and few others. But Snorlax isn't a hard target to take out if you can stop the cursing before it got its full curses, or simply use haze. Blissey is... well best way is to surprise it with a special attacker having physical attack (ex: double edge Starmie in GSC)

a best type only depends on who is using it, and how they are used. Though there are a few weak types out there such as grass, definitely no such thing is a "certainly the best" around in Pokemon.

TeNk
October 24th, 2003, 12:54 PM
Usually Normal Pokemon have no "REAL" weaknesses. For example my level 87 Zangoose was attacked my different elements in different battles. They all did the same amount of damage to it. So, normal pokemon doesn't have a extra weakness but doesn't exactly have a real advantage against a type, only by the moves it learns, they can have a advantage. This precisely is what makes normal pokemon normal and which is the reason why I think Normal pokemon is greater than the rest.

Kairi
October 24th, 2003, 12:57 PM
Well, they are weak to Fighting. They do have flaws, even though not fundamental to normal types by definition, most have shortcomings.

TeNk
October 24th, 2003, 01:10 PM
Sorry, I'm too stupid to understand what you said with those hard vocabulary. Care to repeat in simpler words, Ms. Individual of Overwhelming intelligence?

Frostweaver
October 24th, 2003, 02:02 PM
umm... let me try paraphrasing it a little

"Normal type maybe neutral against all special attack, but it is weak to fighting (just like how dark types are really only weak to fighting and bug). However, the best defined definition of a "normal type pokemon" is the fact that it is neutral against all types, regardless of its one fighting type weakness and ghost type immunity.

Normal types seem to be the best in terms of elemental advantages in comparison to any other types, it has its own flaws and weaknesses in other areas such as stats."

hopefully i paraphrased it correctly...

Porygon
October 27th, 2003, 08:07 AM
Of course it helps that Normal types are only weak [defensively] against the Fightingtype, a rather rareish attack type. Neutrality [mostly] in the Attack field is good because every Pokmon learns or can learn some kind some kind of Normal attack.

Frostweaver
October 28th, 2003, 12:05 AM
Return is pretty much found on everyone. An awesome attack with 102 attack power... it's physical attacker's paradise (or at least one of the many paradises).

Normal types are generally flexible. They can excel in many categories of stats. Blissey got the insane sp.def. Porygon family has a good sp.att. Many normal types like Ursaring and Dodrio are strong at physical attacks. Then there are those defensive Pokemon too. Don't forget the strategical normal types like Snorlax, who relies on the good combo of curse and careful planning. Lastly we have the weird ones like Kecleon and Ditto...

Normal types are very flexible. Porygon certainly fits into this category best

Porygon
October 28th, 2003, 10:01 AM
An awesome attack with 102 attack power... it's physical attacker's paradise (or at least one of the many paradises)That, of course, is only true if the user's trust in its trainer is high

Kairi
October 28th, 2003, 10:12 AM
That, of course, is only true if the user's trust in its trainer is high

Which can be done easily with either a full set of vitamins or a bunch of X Special etc.

Porygon
October 28th, 2003, 10:27 AM
Lol, yeah, but how much do you want to pay for an attack that is nearly useless as soon as the Pokmon is traded?

Frostweaver
October 28th, 2003, 03:05 PM
doesn't cost that much at all... nothing several rounds of amulet coin elite 4 + 5 linoone item farming can't do in terms of cash... cash is not a problem ever in Pokemon.