PDA

View Full Version : Detention for 2,550 students (FL)

Gunn
February 13th, 2008, 08:11 PM
2,550 students in a Florida school were scheduled to serve detention on Saturday.

PALM BAY — An accidental push of a button Friday had students at Palm Bay High questioning what they'd done wrong and parents plotting punishments.

Parents of all 2,550 students in the school received an automated call Friday reminding them that their student had to report for Saturday morning detention. Problem was, the message only should have gone to 16 homes.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/offbeat/2008-02-12-fla-students_N.htm?se=yahoorefer

A simple mistake really. I thought this was a little funny though. I was really interested to see what the students have done for everyone to serve their time, but it was a mere error that occurred. But I know that it may not have been so humorous if I were one of those students. But I do fancy that automated calls to homes though. :P

latioslegends
February 13th, 2008, 08:26 PM
I heard about this not to long ago. God that had to be priceless, get up early on a saturday for school for doing nothing 0_0 but yeah the principle ows more than a apology to the students XD.

BakingBluePotatoe
February 13th, 2008, 08:37 PM
xDD

If I was one of those i'd be like "WHAT THE HECK DID I DO!? O_O"

lol

some people do crazy stuff at my school

Gunn
February 13th, 2008, 08:38 PM
I think I would have like to know what I have done as well instead of awaking for detention for no reason.

Proto
February 13th, 2008, 08:40 PM
I hate those automated things. >___< We used to have them at my old school, and whenever I wasn't in a class, there would be a message on our machine at home "Hello, your student, [my name], was not in the following class: [class]" 8(

Evil.

Gerri Shin
February 13th, 2008, 09:11 PM
the school district in my hometown is so messed up we got a call from their automated thing saying that my little brother was late to school. He doesn't even go o the public highschool! but yeah, I rather dislike those automated things. whatever happened to a personalized phone call explaining what you did to deserve said punishment or reward?

Apathetic_Yen
February 13th, 2008, 10:43 PM
i got saturday school once and i aint planning on doing that again. id freak if i got that call

Jubilation
February 13th, 2008, 10:46 PM
Lmao, I'd be like ok coz I don't like arguing, it causes a evil aura XD

destinedjagold
February 14th, 2008, 12:39 AM
I have read this in Yahoo, but I didn't understood the cause why the students were sent to detention... :\

I feel sorry for them though... One day of rest in weekends wasted in school did nothing but silence...

Warheart
February 14th, 2008, 11:58 AM
*Rushes in singing lyrics to "we're not gonna take it" by Twisted Sister

Oh dude..I imagine that suck..how do you even make a mistake like that? xD

If it was only 16 houses, what was the need to have made it an "automated" call anyways? Why couldn't like..an actual person make the calls? xD

Gunn
February 14th, 2008, 03:08 PM
If it was only 16 houses, what was the need to have made it an "automated" call anyways? Why couldn't like..an actual person make the calls? xD

Well you know how America is. Everything has to be done by a immigrant or computer.

Don't take that seriously.

QueenZ
February 15th, 2008, 07:59 AM
What a stupid mistake :D:D I wouldn't like to be in these students place :D

Maria Santos
February 15th, 2008, 08:14 AM
Haha, my friend Bradley told me about this when it happened. He is a student at Palm Bay.

QueenZ
February 15th, 2008, 08:22 AM
hehee :D i bet he wasn't very happy with this incident.. :D

DMNT
February 16th, 2008, 11:05 PM
LOL, that's quite amusing! Luckily, only 40 students showed up.

♣Gawain♣
February 17th, 2008, 01:38 AM
If they had done something really wrong, they're deserving. But as today, I'm still sceptical.

mewthree w/armor
February 17th, 2008, 07:19 AM
I think this is what you call an "Opps"

Either the school will fire someone, or fix the system, or actually train its employees on how to use it. Allota times employees just don't know how to use the system.

Guin
February 17th, 2008, 12:50 PM
Lol, I heard about this a while ago. I think it's funny.