PDA

View Full Version : Girls - Pink / Boys - Blue ?

Olz.
February 18th, 2008, 08:58 AM
What do you think of the title.. we were talking about this in school today, and I thought it might make a nice thread to talk about..

Do you think that ALL boys should be associated Blue?
And ALL Girls should be associated with Pink?

When pokemon thinks this.. With the Gender Signs.. The girl one is pink, and the boy one is blue...

Well, i think..

I personally don't mind neither colour.. I'm a boy and i like pink? Anything wrong with that? - No.

But, alot of the girls at my school HATE pink..

What do you think?

Tater Tot
February 18th, 2008, 09:27 AM
I think the color arrangements are kinda like gender discrimination, you know? I'm male, and I like pink, I'm male, and I like blue too! =O
I think it's wrong for people to think that if your a boy you should like blue and hate pink. I bet some boys say they hate pink, but deep inside they love it.

Saryka
February 18th, 2008, 09:37 AM
I'm a girl and I hate pink, but I like blue. It's not really a big deal to me how the genders are associated with certain colours.

Soul Eater
February 18th, 2008, 10:07 AM
I actaully like certian shades of pink, honestly. I used to hate pink but now, I can tolerate it as long as its not eye splitting or something. XD Blue however, is one of my most favorite colors because all shades of blue are really pretty. :D

シーツー
February 18th, 2008, 10:18 AM
I don't think you should say "this color belongs to boys and this color belongs to girls".
I'm a girl and pink is absolutely not my favorite color but I don't hate it either. Blue is my most favorite color but who cares?
I think it's naive to say "all boys which like pink are gay" or something else ._.
In my opinion boys can like pink and girls can like blue, there's no different. I mean, it's just a color!

SerenadeDS
February 18th, 2008, 10:24 AM
It is just a way of getting the point across with colors. I personally like pink and blue. But I think everyone is different, and it's just a matter of opinion.

Haha, I wanna see pink associate with the male gender in a video game. :P

Twinx
February 18th, 2008, 10:39 AM
To be honest, I find some shades of pink simply blinding for the eyes, and I don't understand how some people can stand those coulors.
That said, I do like some shades of pink, but not all of them.

And no, pink isn't restricted for girls, take a walk to a Jack and Jones store and you'll be amazed by the number of pink t-shirts and belts you'll find !

You wouldn't see me wearing pink because it's not my color. And a part of me subconsciously classifies pink as girly.. I can't help it.

Sweet Candace
February 18th, 2008, 10:54 AM
No, because some boys like pink. No, no color should assoicate a boy and a girl

Zorua
February 18th, 2008, 11:10 AM
I know a girl that likes black and hates pink. Normally black would be for dudes. But who the hell cares, it's a color. :[

I personally think the "girls should like pink and boys should like blue" crap is stupid. I like pink. Doesn't mean it's the end of the world if I do.

Tater Tot
February 18th, 2008, 11:15 AM
I love pink. ^.^ It's not my favorite color but I like it. =D

Sweet Candace
February 18th, 2008, 11:18 AM
I agree with Skittles. Just because a guy might like pink doesn't mean it's the end of the world. Like tater tot, I also like pink (well, typing in it)

Olz.
February 18th, 2008, 11:26 AM
Lool heres a funny story.. (Well not really)

I was making something in textiles (A toy) And it had.. Pink! On it. This anoying prat starts yelling "Pink puff, pink puff" Then i punch him in the face :D He starts screaming like a girl. And i say "Whos the puff now" xD So yea. Pink can be for both, and if people say "Pink puff" there just idiots :D

Tater Tot
February 18th, 2008, 11:30 AM
Lool heres a funny story.. (Well not really)

I was making something in textiles (A toy) And it had.. Pink! On it. This anoying prat starts yelling "Pink puff, pink puff" Then i punch him in the face :D He starts screaming like a girl. And i say "Whos the puff now" xD So yea. Pink can be for both, and if people say "Pink puff" there just idiots :D I know a story kind of similar to that, one of my friends was on the playground in Elementary School, and some boy went up to her and said, "I'm a boy, so if you bit me I wouldn't cry!"
So the girl bit him, the rest is history. XD
(He cried.)

Sweet Candace
February 18th, 2008, 11:33 AM
They're jealous that you'd have the guts to pick a color like pink

Gymnotide
February 18th, 2008, 12:22 PM
Eh, pink isn't a bad color - I only like one shade of it and
wouldn't be seen dead wearing it, though.

Blue is one of my more favorite colors, but only when
multiple shades are mixed in each other.

So, no, obviously not: certain colors aren't tethered to
certain genders.

Sylphiel
February 18th, 2008, 12:24 PM
I don't much like any enforcement of color gender stereotypes - colors are colors, they're just different wavelengths of light, and the only genders they have are the ones we assign to them. I'm female, and I've always been more of a blue person than a pink person, since I think that blues in general are far more appealing than pinks (especially hot pink...hate that color so much). If a guy likes pink, then more power to him - the way I see it, if I'm allowed to like blue, then that guy should be allowed to like pink without being teased.

(I never like any situation where a guy is teased for liking "girly things", but that's another topic altogether.)

On a related note, I found this when I decided to go looking up stuff about color stereotypes. Apparently the colors used to be switched around (and it amused me slightly whenever I discovered it):
Baby clothing, which was neutral for centuries, was branded with gender identities relatively recently, said Dr. Jo Paoletti, an associate professor in the department of textiles and consumer economics at the University of Maryland. For 300 years, American infants of both sexes were dressed alike, generally in white frocks. That changed shortly after the turn of the century, Dr. Paoletti said, when psychologists suggested that gender identification was influenced by nurture as well as nature.

Boys got trousers, girls got dresses and the sexes were color-coded. Around World War I, the boys wore pink (''a stronger, more decided'' color, the literature of the day declared), and the girls blue (''delicate, dainty''). It was only after World War II that pink and blue assumed their current identities; Dr. Paoletti was unable to explain why.

(Source (http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=950DE0D7153AF935A25752C1A96F948260&sec=&spon=&pagewanted=all))

Bolding is mine. Just something to think about, really - and this is why I hate branding a color as being for one gender or the other, as opinions can and do change.

Gummy
February 18th, 2008, 12:39 PM
Although I do find pink girly, I think blue is a universal color. Actually, I can't think of any color being associated with males.

Merzbau
February 18th, 2008, 01:31 PM
I like both colors but I don't think anyone should assume that you like a color because of your gender.

I wondered this just now...what do they do with intersex babies? Do they have purple blankets in stock or what?

Spaekle Oddberry
February 18th, 2008, 01:40 PM
who the hell cares, it's a color. :[

That. And sex/gender stereotypes are stupid.

For the record, I like blue better.

Souless
February 18th, 2008, 01:41 PM
Well, since ancient times blue=boy girl=pink. Haven't you see how babies are dressed on those colors depending on their genders?

But that's only a point of view, but actually I like both colors, and also, I see a lot of girls/boys that like both pink and blue, so the likings don't depend on gender, but those colors are relationed to gender.

So, stereotypes suck xD

Gerri Shin
February 18th, 2008, 01:45 PM
Pink? Pink? Well, what's wrong with pink? Seems like you got a pink kink in your think
I have no problem with pink or any other color for that matter, I'm not sure why whoever they were chose to associate gorls with pink and boy with blue, perhaps it was because pink is considered a delicate color and in olden days girls were also considered delicate. it really doesn't matter what color they associate with what to me.

Kotowari
February 18th, 2008, 01:52 PM
I like blue better... and I don't like pink... I don't know what to say, but somehow it seems that those who have a slight dislike for pink, tend to like blue more.
I like natural colours more, and somehow I don't see pink in that pallet. Yes I know there are shades of pink in nature, but they are always mixed with another colour. =P

It's silly to associate colours with genders, everyone should like what he/she likes.

Jaimes
February 18th, 2008, 02:02 PM
The term 'Blue' ranges massively, encompassing royal blue, soft baby blue, bright electric blues to indigo and sea green. Blue is a massively vague term description of a colour, wheras pink is always 'pale red/white' >_>

Anyway there was some pretty decent evidence to show that (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/tyne/6955679.stm) colours were preferred by some sexes more than others. The theory behind is questionable, but still deserves some thought.

jack1993jack
February 18th, 2008, 02:04 PM
I don't hate either color, they're just colors. Colors shouldn't be associated with gender, it's just stereotypical for boys to like blue, and girls to like pink

Anyway, I actually quite like the pinky - purple color of my user title!

♣Gawain♣
February 18th, 2008, 04:55 PM
Well I think it's actually this...

In ancient times, Greeks already designated the color assignments. You could actually think ancient people clothing boys with bold cool colors and girls with lively but soft ones.

Imagine you bieng clothe with pink colors!

Wish
February 18th, 2008, 05:23 PM
I really think it is discriminative to determine that by the color you like.

One time my annoying classmate's annoying cousin looked in my phone and said, "OMG! Your menu bars are purple! Are you gay?"

I was like, "STFU already" >.>

I actually think it is plain stupid. They are just colors. Even though I like blue, doesn't mean I could like purple or pink. xD

Ayano Katagiri
February 18th, 2008, 08:15 PM
I hate the stereotypical generalisations that are made up with regards to almost anything. Colours... is a bit more of the same. It's only a colour. I don't really see any problems with liking any colours, but being teased about it is just the plain cruelty that children dish out. =\
I have fond that for awhile, the majority of girls I knew liked pink > blue and guys blue > pink.

Chikara
February 18th, 2008, 08:42 PM
The whole idea is that pink is more feminine looking. And blue is the color that's on boy's diapers 8(
I like pink, it's me favorite color, and I know a lot of boys who like blue.

I think it's all based on what people generally felt at the time, and it just stuck XD;

Idiot!
February 18th, 2008, 11:28 PM
That's stereotyping. I have female friends who hated pink. Basically, we should just wear what we like.

BeachBoy
February 18th, 2008, 11:44 PM
I think the color arrangements are kinda like gender discrimination, you know? I'm male, and I like pink, I'm male, and I like blue too! =O
I think it's wrong for people to think that if your a boy you should like blue and hate pink. I bet some boys say they hate pink, but deep inside they love it.

Im going to completely agree with TT here, though I think it's ok for babies to be pink/blue

but as they mature they can like which ever color they so choose, and it cant be "Hey your a boy you must like BLUE"
Its like saying "Hey your a fishermen that must eat your fish" or something along those lines...

I sorta like pink, but im male and I love blue, not because its sterio typical, but I love the water, what color is that? Blue. If it was yellow, Id love yellow, simple as that...

So yeah pink/blue is basically stereotyping that often is correct...

BakingBluePotatoe
February 19th, 2008, 12:07 AM
there's this one kid in my english class that loves Pink and Purple o_O

xDD

I personally love both colors :p

but blue is far more sexier -shot'd- xDD

Samurai X
February 19th, 2008, 12:10 AM
In my opinion red is a more manlier color than blue. I mean, I don't know how many kids have gotten into fights because they wanted to be the red ranger. I don't think boys and girls should be associated with colors but I don't see a problem with the color hospitals give to newborns. Color generalization goes beyond just boy/girl things, like if you wear lots of black you're a Goth.

Tater Tot
February 19th, 2008, 09:14 AM
I think Light Blue is a perfect color for any girl or boy, amost every person in my school loves light blue. ^.^
Me is a fan of Orange though. XD

Anxiety.
February 19th, 2008, 10:22 AM
Colours are Colours.

I remember when all the boys/girls in my old school (not me and my mates though XD) would separate the colours into two pots, one had Pink & Purple and all that, and one had Blue & Green and all that. Then they would say 'Only Boys can use this pot (Pointing to Blue/Green pot) and only Girls can use this pot (Pointing at Pink/Purple pot)' then I would go and grab the green and blue and use them on my sheet. I don't really like pink you see... also, mocking them was fun ;)

ONLY REAL MEN WEAR PINK

Sorry about that random outburst...
I'm not saying guys who don't like pink, because they generally don't like it, aren't men, i'm saying the ones that are like 'Oh, I can't wear pink, thats a girls colour' aren't men :)

For the record...

Whats wrong with being gay ANYWAY? (Just wondering)

Tangerine Fox
February 19th, 2008, 10:43 AM
I actually read up on colours a lot on my own since I think it's interesting, and Cowrie pointed out something that I'm surprised more people don't know: Pink was originally considered a masculine colour, and blue a feminine colour. (Because pink is a diluted shade of red, which is the colour of things such as blood and carried a more masculine connotation.)

Not only were the colours different and carried different stereotypes, but even the actually clothing itself was different. In Victorian England, boys and girls alike would both wear dresses until they were around...five, I think. After that, they would wear shorts, and then eventually slacks.

---

I wrote up a little thing on red a while back on why it's such a popular colour for lead characters, or characters in general. It's very thrown together, but has information which I found interesting on the colour:

"Depending on your sources, red reflects courage, passion, power, love, violence, strength, anger, death, danger, happiness, luck, excitement, etc. In Feng Shui, it reflects passion, love, and arousal, especially. In some countries it is the colour of marriage or of mourning. Also, in decorating, red inducing larger appetites, raise blood pressure, and induce shorter tempers, if I remember correctly.

With such a variety, you can easily find traits that are ideal for various characters, and not just in animanga, but all sorts of areas.

I'm foggier on this, but I'm pretty sure red has the longest wave length of the light spectrum, so it can be seen the easiest and travel the furthest. (Blue and purple are the shortest, which is part of why purple lights are so uncommon!) Red and green are some of the most common colours in colour blindness, however."

And this is how I spend my free time...studying colours and other generally irrelevant information. Colour stereotypes can be annoying, but like most stereotypes, will prevail and morph for at least a long while. It's actually quite interesting.

Personally, I prefer blue, because it's easier on my eyes and just more appealing, but I have no animosity towards pink.

Cassino
February 19th, 2008, 10:49 AM
From my judgement, the Pokemon games use red for females, actually.

I won't state my gender.
I prefer pink/red over blue; regardless of that, the colours red and blue can be used to help display the female and male genders respectively.
I don't think the associated colours need be any source of controversy, it's not about what someone likes, it's just the use of two contrasting colours to differentiate between the two primary genders: Saying it's discriminative or stereotypical is just like saying the gender symbols are.

Eon-Rider
February 20th, 2008, 04:59 AM
It seems every time I change my WLM name to pink, a whole bunch of people start a conversation with me asking if I'm gay. Also, there's a really nice Wordpress theme that's blue and pink but as soon as my sister saw it, she started annoying me so I took it off.

So yes, I do believe certain colours are associated with certain genders.

Zanacross
February 20th, 2008, 05:17 AM
Choose what ever colour you like. Doesn't have to have a certain gender.

All the boys that don't like pink and rag people that do are all gay inside.

Al Sadiyat
February 20th, 2008, 10:11 AM
Tweeny Pokemon fans trying to discern/discuss masculine/feminine and gay/straight = comedy show >__<

Aizuke
February 20th, 2008, 12:31 PM
It doesn't really matter what colour you like. Gender has no limitations these days.

They're just colours, there's no rule stating that girls should like pink and boys should like blue.

If a boy likes pink, that doesn't make them less of a boy. All that shows is that they're not afraid of who they are and can like whatever they want.

benji
February 20th, 2008, 04:35 PM
When I was in elementary school, I liked blue, because all the other boys liked blue. Every boy's favorite color was blue. When we got dismissed to recess by our favorite colors (lol), all the boys would go when the teacher called blue. XD

But now I like pink, because it's a cute color (although it's not my favorite color). ^^

txteclipse
February 20th, 2008, 09:12 PM
My favorite color is blue, so I would correlate myself with blue. However, if some guy likes pink, I wouldn't bash them over the head or anything. It's just a preference. I even like pink if it's next to black and white, because I think it looks awesome.

Now, when it comes to using colors to specify gender, it is common that blue is used for guys and pink is used for girls. It's not necessarily saying that all girls must like pink or all guys must like blue, it's just symbolic. Like how red roses symbolize romance and yellow ones symbolize frindship. It's just one of those little quirks in society.

Tweeny Pokemon fans trying to discern/discuss masculine/feminine and gay/straight = comedy show >__<

Elitism on a pokemon board...Ahahahahaha!!!!!!

Tetsu
February 20th, 2008, 09:27 PM
Just a quick note on what Tangerine Fox said - I read once a study showed that the Color Blue is more related to things like, relaxation and ease, while being the most visually appealing to the eye.

Personally, I think any man that can wear Pink is a real man, because unfortunately, the world still has gender-specific stereotypes while preaching about open-mindedness (Hypocrites). The reason this makes them a real man is because they aren't afraid to be who they want to be and not who others want them to be.

Although I don't care either way. (I happen to like both Pink AND Blue.)

On controversy: Sure, we can easily get into the Gay/Straight conversation vs. the Pink/Blue argument, but what about those unfortunate few in the world who have BOTH genders, or none at all? Or the varying degrees of Bi-Gendered people balanced more in appearance to one gender while being the complete opposite? These aren't as uncommon as you may think.

There. I said it and I'm already sorry for bringing it up, given that I'm already sure how that topic is going to play out in people's minds.

txteclipse
February 20th, 2008, 09:44 PM
On controversy: Sure, we can easily get into the Gay/Straight conversation vs. the Pink/Blue argument, but what about those unfortunate few in the world who have BOTH genders, or none at all? Or the varying degrees of Bi-Gendered people balanced more in appearance to one gender while being the complete opposite? These aren't as uncommon as you may think.

There. I said it and I'm already sorry for bringing it up, given that I'm already sure how that topic is going to play out in people's minds.

I'm not really sure what you meant by this. Could you clarify a bit more?

Tetsu
February 20th, 2008, 09:49 PM
I'm not really sure what you meant by this. Could you clarify a bit more?

I'd like to, but given that many people see it as a touchy subject, and I don't want to get any trouble from Mods or Admins, I'll PM you, if that's ok?

txteclipse
February 20th, 2008, 09:51 PM
Sure thing. Just PM me because that confused me a bit...

Cassino
February 21st, 2008, 02:44 PM
what about those unfortunate few in the world who have BOTH genders, or none at all?
It does astound me how I've never seen anything other than male and female as gender options on websites, forms, surveys, applications and so forth. Makes me think PC should have "hermaphrodite" and "genderless" (or is there a proper word for that?) as gender options.
At least hermaphrodites have a gender symbol. (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2e/Mercury_symbol.svg)

Michii
February 21st, 2008, 05:01 PM
Colors are colors. Whoever decided that pink is for girls and blue for boys is idiotic. Everything is for everybody.

Tater Tot
February 22nd, 2008, 09:46 AM
Colors are colors. Whoever decided that pink is for girls and blue for boys is idiotic. Everything is for everybody. Very good point actually. That's exactly what colors should be. Just colors. But unfortunately we can't change that and we have to live with it. >.>

Peanutz
March 16th, 2008, 09:17 AM
I personally like blue more than pink, and I'm a girl.
People can like what ever color they want in my opinion.^_^

Tamaki
March 16th, 2008, 05:56 PM
Blue and pink are my favorite colors, and I'm a girl. Some girls love pink, some boys hate pink. But some don't. One of my friends says she is "allergic to the color pink" and wears black every day. And I know tons of boys who wear pink shirts. Real men wear pink! :D

Vegeta
March 16th, 2008, 08:33 PM
Noooooo! Real men do NOT wear pink. I would not be caught dead wearing that color, it's demeaning really...

.:LemonTea:.
March 16th, 2008, 09:04 PM
Light blue is actually my favorite color. Some of my friends had their rooms painted pink when they were infants (since they were girls), my room was a shade of yellow that resembled puke. D:

I remember in the 6th Grade Olympics that were held in my school (every class wore a different color T-shirt), and this one team's shirt was pink so all the boys and girls had to wear pink...

Goatman56
March 17th, 2008, 04:17 PM
I think everyone should just be orange :3.

Why would you want to look like cotton candy anyways?

diamondpearl876
March 17th, 2008, 05:18 PM
I think people saying "pink is a girl's color" and "blue is a boy's color" is stupid. I like blue, but not pink. It's just all about what you prefer.

Tamaki
March 17th, 2008, 05:50 PM
Noooooo! Real men do NOT wear pink. I would not be caught dead wearing that color, it's demeaning really...

That's so sexist! A real man isn't someone who lives up to stereotypes, it's someone who destroys them. ~

Tater Tot
March 18th, 2008, 05:59 AM
I like pink, who cares?! >< I like Blue too, *gasps* why don't ya sue me for liking both colors, huh? xD

ultradarkrai
March 18th, 2008, 10:19 AM
I dont really think its right for a boy to like pink, but colours don't really matter, as long as they're not a horrible sickly dark yellowish colour.

Azonic
March 18th, 2008, 01:11 PM
Pink is manly, how dare you say its a girl's color.

Yeah, right now the boy's color is black, not blue. ._.

For me, I don't care. I can like any colors. =D

Nytkoi
March 21st, 2008, 04:57 AM
I prefer neither. Green is my fave. But over those two, Its blue.

Nuke
March 21st, 2008, 05:01 AM
Most boys I know like red not blue.

Most girls, purple not pink.

Chuchino
March 21st, 2008, 03:10 PM
Errr..

From what I've observed, quite a majority of the girls who supposedly "hate pink" say this to avoid being generalized (please don't respond saying "BUT I REALLY HATE IT!", because I'm not saying all girls do). This I find to be ridiculous. Is it because I was born with female chromosomes that makes the color pink so appealing to me? Hardly. I find most colors appealing, regardless of their connotations (with exceptions, such as sewege green). It's color.

Pink is associated with femininity very strongly, and has been for decades; we are brought up assaulted on all sides by what is "the norm" for our genders. You like pink? Well pink is girly-- you must either be a prepubescent girl, a ghastly bubblegum snapper or gay. For girls, well, we avoid these stereotypes by rejecting them. Guys will make them a jest.

So to tell the truth, I've never met anyone who associated blue with men, being the popular color that it is. Pink seems to be the problem in terms of generalization and gender-stereotyping. Blegh, it's all frustrating and annoying. The most feminine color I can think of is deep royal purple, often because I associate that with a queen or something majestic.

For the record, my favorite colors are the yellow ones. o3o Forget the other primary colors!

.. I forgot what my point was half way through. D: Ew.

Bear
March 22nd, 2008, 08:31 AM
I'm a girl who likes pink... <_<

The stereotype is bs nonetheless. It's a colour. That doesn't have to do with anything else whatsoever.

Smarties-chan
March 22nd, 2008, 11:48 AM
I'm against all kinds of stereotyping so naturally I find instantly associating a certain color with a certain gender utterly ridiculous. I'm a boy and I like pink and most other shades of red as well. I also like blue, but I prefer red to be honest. But then again, I'm as far from any stereotype as you can get. Everyone should have the right to like which ever damn color they want without being stereotyped because of it. A man who dresses in pink is far manlier than all the people criticizing him for doing so.

Suki
March 22nd, 2008, 12:17 PM
I don't think this is true. It is stereotypical. My favourite colour is blue. I loooove it and I always have <333

Merzbau
March 22nd, 2008, 05:27 PM

I'd like you to define "real man" for me. With a response like that, probably has a subtext that says "FAIRIES AIN'T REEL MEN."

I wear pink and I'm not ashamed of it. Also, purple. I don't need someone else's approval to wear what I do.

For the record, I think the gender options idea would be nice on PC. It'd be nice for someone to recognize that there are people who don't fit into gender nicely, such as moi.

Razer302
March 23rd, 2008, 02:30 AM
I have worn pink before and other boys in my school wear pink.

I don't see why it is blue for boys and pink for girls. I never see that many girls in pink tops at school and none of the girls in my family wear pink clothes that often either.

Ikouze
March 23rd, 2008, 02:49 AM
to tell you all truthfully i have to say, does it really matter? i mean there are other important things in the world that we have to worry about. Not only that, it's only natural for someone to think girls like pink and boys... well... like all the other colours. Why? it's just the way people are, i mean you wouldn't expect a girl to like rap but there are girls who like it.

destinedjagold
March 23rd, 2008, 02:56 AM
I don't like pink and I hate blue...
I'd rather stick to black and green...

anyways, I heard one country has a male-pink and girl-blue policy... :\
Not sure, but it was shared to us by our adviser last year...

oh well...
But if I were to choose, I rather wear blue...