PDA

View Full Version : Wheelchair Users

~Swish~
February 19th, 2008, 02:19 AM
I'm one myself, and I'm just curious to see if there are any other PC members who use one?

Any non-wheelchair users feel free to post as well, and ask anything you like, I mean anything. It really doesn't matter what you ask. :)

Zanacross
February 19th, 2008, 02:34 AM
Interesting. I never really thought about the "disability's" of other members here.

What are you in a wheelchair for swish? (Don't have to tell me just curious)

~Swish~
February 19th, 2008, 02:42 AM
Interesting. I never really thought about the "disability's" of other members here.

What are you in a wheelchair for swish? (Don't have to tell me just curious)

Course you can ask ^^

Basically my spine is shorter than it should be, so obviously I can't walk. Doesn't stop me from doing what I want though =)

Eon-Rider
February 19th, 2008, 03:13 AM
Questions eh? I've never closely analysed a wheelchair's wheels so sorry sorry if this is a stupid question. Have you ever had your fingers caught while turning them? Or do you use one of those electric ones?

~Swish~
February 19th, 2008, 03:23 AM
Questions eh? I've never closely analysed a wheelchair's wheels so sorry sorry if this is a stupid question. Have you ever had your fingers caught while turning them? Or do you use one of those electric ones?

All the time. I play wheelchair basketball at a high level so often I come home with cut and bruised hands. Nah I'd never dream of using an electric one. That's only for people who are like paralysed through their while body, or at least have problems using their arms.

I have very long, and fairly muscley arms, simply from all the pushing I've done in my life.

Gerri Shin
February 19th, 2008, 09:10 AM
hmm, is there such a thing as traveling in wheelchair basketball? I've always wondered about that.

~Swish~
February 19th, 2008, 09:15 AM
hmm, is there such a thing as traveling in wheelchair basketball? I've always wondered about that.

Yeah there is. The rule for dribbling is 2 pushes with the wheelchair, then you have to bounce the ball. 3 pushes = travelling.

Tater Tot
February 19th, 2008, 09:36 AM
I just went to Disneyworld, and I used a wheelchair there because I was going to get to tired. I have this weird thing about me that if I get tired, I can get very very sick easily.. 0_0

~Swish~
February 19th, 2008, 09:41 AM
I just went to Disneyworld, and I used a wheelchair there because I was going to get to tired. I have this weird thing about me that if I get tired, I can get very very sick easily.. 0_0

Too much chocolate milk! xD

I'm kidding, but yeah, the same applies to some of my friends as well. Sometimes they can walk but gradually deteriate and feel more tired later on in the day.

The Infinite Devil Machine
February 21st, 2008, 09:37 AM
I can't say I use a wheelchair, but I have a strong admiration of people who don't let that inhibit them. b('')b

Gummy
February 21st, 2008, 10:19 AM
Wheelchair basketball looks so much more complicated than regular basketball. I admire anyone who can play the sport, whether they're good or not.

~Swish~
February 21st, 2008, 10:24 AM
Wheelchair basketball looks so much more complicated than regular basketball. I admire anyone who can play the sport, whether they're good or not.

Hehe, well I'm not blowing my own trumpet but I'd say I'm fairly good! xD

diamondpearl876
February 21st, 2008, 07:40 PM
Well, I don't use a wheelchair, and I'm glad to hear that you can still do what you want. =D

BakingBluePotatoe
February 21st, 2008, 08:59 PM
I don't, but my brother does. He has Seribral Pulzy (sp?) so he can't walk without support

Soul Eater
February 21st, 2008, 09:36 PM
I dont use a wheelchair but I used to know a friend that did.

I do have a disability but I would hate to go off the topic of wheelchairs. XD

Plus, I dont like discussing my disability either.

Also, isnt it hard when people think you're weak because you're in a wheelchair?

~Swish~
February 22nd, 2008, 01:39 AM
I don't, but my brother does. He has Seribral Pulzy (sp?) so he can't walk without support

Cerebal Palsy. =)

My ex girlfriend had that, but only mildly. She could walk with a slight limp and only for short distances so she used a wheelchair most of the time as well.

I dont use a wheelchair but I used to know a friend that did.

I do have a disability but I would hate to go off the topic of wheelchairs. XD

Plus, I dont like discussing my disability either.

Also, isnt it hard when people think you're weak because you're in a wheelchair?

I'm not directing this at you at all, I just don't understand why people with a disability feel the need to not talk about it, considering your a regular human being who has exactly the same rights as anybody else. I get odd/awkward stares from people in the street, but I've had that my whole life so it hardly ever bothers me. You have nothing to be embarrassed about.

Disabled people who hide away and are ashamed of themselves give employers even more of an excuse not to hire somebody with a disability, stating they aren't capable. There are a huge number of different disabilities, but people who think they know best but actually have no idea tend to put all disabled people in the same box. That's why when I finish uni I'm worried I won't be able to do what, which is go and work in a games store, or possibly something in sport as well.

As for people thinking im weak, yeah it does get annoying, especially when they haven't got a clue what I'm actually capable of. They just assume I'm a complete invalid, for want of a better phrase. Then I just show them my Great Britain wheelchair basketball jersey and they tend to shut up xD

Idiot!
February 22nd, 2008, 07:23 AM
Two things that suck the most:

Society judges us by their first impression and tends to stick to it and never bothered to go deeper, beyond the skin.

Most employers tend to look at disabilities and not capabilities. Sadly, that's just how narrow-minded humans can be.

Swish, you have my respect. You have the courage to answer our (awkward) questions, and freely let others know about your disability.

~Swish~
February 22nd, 2008, 07:37 AM
Two things that suck the most:

Society judges us by their first impression and tends to stick to it and never bothered to go deeper, beyond the skin.

Most employers tend to look at disabilities and not capabilities. Sadly, that's just how narrow-minded humans can be.

Swish, you have my respect. You have the courage to answer our (awkward) questions, and freely let others know about your disability.

Thank you sir, and your post summed up perfectly how I feel. No matter what qualifications I'm able to get, I'm still a little concerned. But anyway, thank god for the Disability Discrimination Act! xD

B-Baller
February 22nd, 2008, 11:50 PM
All the time. I play wheelchair basketball at a high level so often I come home with cut and bruised hands.

I have heard of your Ray Allen type shots. (don't ask how, I just heard. xD) Big props to you man, simply for being able to shoot even if your hands hurt from pushing. And props to you for being able to shoot without the extra power from your feet (no offense intended).

Oddly enough, I don't know any people that use a wheelchair. I did, but she passed away three years ago.

~Swish~
February 23rd, 2008, 01:59 AM
I have heard of your Ray Allen type shots. (don't ask how, I just heard. xD) Big props to you man, simply for being able to shoot even if your hands hurt from pushing. And props to you for being able to shoot without the extra power from your feet (no offense intended).

Oddly enough, I don't know any people that use a wheelchair. I did, but she passed away three years ago.

No offence at all ;)

I think Ray Allen is pushing it a bit far XD, but I'm fairly good at shooting. I mean I practice enough so if I wasn't half decent then there would be a bit of a problem.