PDA

View Full Version : Hacking Dragon Warrior Monsters?

Bombah!
February 25th, 2008, 06:41 AM
Heya, I was just playing DWM on GBC emu, when I thought: Could I change the graphics? Or anything else?

I know it´s possible, but I wanted to ask if there are any programs for it?
No hex editors, I don´t get how to use them -.-

If there are any, tell me please.

Thanks,
Bombah!

Hat?
February 26th, 2008, 05:12 AM
There are things like Tile Layer Pro which are pretty easy to use for editing uncompressed graphics in most ROMs.

Or you could learn to use a hex editor, it's might look intimidating with all the numbers everywhere but's it's easy aswell.

Bombah!
February 26th, 2008, 06:04 AM
Yes, I already tried TLP, but it´s not that easy at the bbegining. I have to work more with it.

And about Hex editing: Is there a beginner tutorial? And I mean BEGINNER. From 0 to 0 (If ya know what I mean^^)

Thanks
Bombah!

Hat?
February 26th, 2008, 06:48 AM
romhacks[dot]net

i recommend that, just read the tutorials you want to (about hex, hex editing etc), it's mostly all basic stuff (but starts you off hacking super mario bros), and

romhacking[dot]net has lots of docs on lots of things too (different site), plus tools etc

sorry about not posting urls i'm not allowed, for lack of posts

Alistair
February 26th, 2008, 11:55 AM
You could also try TileMolester for graphics. Currently, there aren't any known tools to hack Dragon Quest Monsters, except for a hex editor.

SerenadeDS
February 26th, 2008, 12:05 PM
Heh, I love DWM. Right now I am experimenting with hacking Dragon Warrior I & II. Tile Molester and a Hex editor is about all you can work with, unless you find some offsets, and decied to make a tool yourself.

Bombah!
February 26th, 2008, 01:08 PM
Serenade, I can´t even script or Hex, so about making a tool ...^^

But thanks Black Phantom, I´ll check out the site.

Thanks,
Bombah!

Hat?
February 26th, 2008, 03:05 PM
Make sure you do! hahaha

and yeah as Дон Пач said, you could also use TileMolester, it just requires java being installed... so you can use it on a mac, linux etc too

if you use msn, you can talk to me about general rom hacking on there if you want

ExitWound
June 30th, 2009, 02:02 AM
The only thing I've been able to hack in DWM 2 was the monster's stats. Exp growth rate, stat growth rate, max level, etc. I did it with a hex editor. But I haven't found anything else I could edit sadly. Not even the names of things =[

Christos
June 30th, 2009, 04:21 AM
Don't post in threads that are over a month old. please. :3