PDA

View Full Version : Computer Question: Should I get Cable Connection?

Sakura and Espeon
July 17th, 2004, 02:42 PM
Less than 15 days, we are getting rid of AOL for good. After that, I will have no more internet connection. I know that Cable is faster than 56K and they can be shared with other computers, but Should I get a another Dialup Service and keep the 2nd line or get Cable?

and Hurry!! ^_^

BladeForever
July 17th, 2004, 02:47 PM
I would go with cable.. More Speed, instant online access, (dont have to wait all day to get on o.O) and etc. I'm sure the main thing is having a lot of speed, and cable is very reliable in that category. (I like it because I could talk to people from my house phone while still online)

~Blade~

aaaaaa
July 17th, 2004, 03:53 PM
Go cable, only so long as not too many people in your neighbourhood also have cable.

Kyosuke
July 17th, 2004, 04:12 PM
Cable internet all the way, dial up just slows you down for things you have to do on the internet, and it takes much longer to do simpler tasks then cable, but unless you don't have the money, then stick with dial up, otherwise there should be no thought into getting cable insted of dial up.

Kipkip
July 17th, 2004, 05:36 PM
Get cable. It is really helpful if you do a lot of online gaming or transfering large files. I have Comcast and I have 3 Mps download and about 366Kps upstream. It's awsome.:D

Sakura and Espeon
July 17th, 2004, 06:02 PM
But if I kept aol, it will cost me 23 dollars per month and also a additional 16 dollars which makes it 40 dollars... I think... ^_^

Kyosuke
July 17th, 2004, 06:22 PM
Thats just a little less then most cable internet monthly charges (usually around $45.00), but their are others out their that you can get for less then that, so just shop around I guess. ^^

Gr8person62.2
July 17th, 2004, 08:16 PM
If you can get xDSL then get it. It's way better than cable nowadays because everyone else has cable, and it just slowed it down -_- Cable is still better that dialup though, but I would much recommend DSL. Cable costs a lot of money to install too.

aRedMoon
July 17th, 2004, 08:26 PM
DSL > Cable > Dial-up

Try and get DSL, it's normally more reliable than cable. Dial-up... just... sucks...

>>

Kairi
July 17th, 2004, 08:34 PM
I havent had any problems with cable over the past couple years, and my connection is usually a lot faster than most people I speak to with DSL. =\

Soljah
July 17th, 2004, 08:36 PM
get cable for sure
i find that dsl is down a lot... and when it does, its for a long time
as for cable... if its down, its only for a few hours or a day at max
anyways, thats just my opinion

cheers =DDD

aaaaaa
July 17th, 2004, 08:49 PM
My ADSL is never down.
Ever.
If you live in an area where no-one else is on cable, get it, for sure. 30Mb/s is **** nice.
Just remember, everyone in your neighbourhood SHARES that 30Mb/s.
Not so appealing anymore, no?

Gr8person62.2
July 18th, 2004, 12:43 AM
I'm lucky, I'v had cable for 4 years(and 2 months) and It's always awsome with me. I have a 10mb speed, so that 1250Kb(bytes). The fastest I'v downloaded at is 800kbps which is sooo awsome ;) I think no one here has cable(maybe a few). I'v never seen it slow down.

aaaaaa
July 18th, 2004, 01:30 AM
Optus or Telstra?
Either way, you may have the speed, but you dont have the volume.
Whats your cap?

Sorye HK
July 18th, 2004, 03:21 AM
I use VDSL for internet. It's faster than dial up and it's relatively
cheap here. One month's allowance for me.
Anyway, there are some cable internet services cheaper than dial
up if you look hard. I recommend cable over dial up.

Geometric-sama
July 18th, 2004, 03:56 AM
If you are allowed to get cable, why even think about it? It's way better than dialup; I'm dying to get it XD. (Don't get a lemon, they're sour. And galvanic cells aren't *that* great.)

aRedMoon
July 18th, 2004, 09:25 AM
[color=magenta]Cable is only good if you are in an area where other people don't have it. DSL isn't a shared connection, but it will go faster if everyone else is using cable.

*caps out at 1.5 MB/s*

Ashs_grrl
July 18th, 2004, 11:22 AM
DSL is way better lol I have it and i love it! :D you should get DSL

Kipkip
July 18th, 2004, 03:25 PM
[color=magenta]Cable is only good if you are in an area where other people don't have it. DSL isn't a shared connection, but it will go faster if everyone else is using cable.

*caps out at 1.5 MB/s*
Cable is not only good when no one eles has it. A whole lot of people in my area has cable and it still goes 3x as fast normal Cable/DSL. You really don't need that much faster than that, even for heavy online gaming. Most games you need 128Kps and some even needs 256Kps. Unless you host your own server, there is no need for anything faster.

Pokedragonfire
July 18th, 2004, 03:26 PM
I have comcast, it is wayyyyy better than dial-up, but it still sucks compared to other cable companies. (SO DON'T GET COMCAST!!!) The only reason I have it is because it is the only one avaliable where I live :( Why would you keep the dial-up, you don't really need it. I mean, maybe for a couple mounths for maybe email or something, but you don't need it.

Sakura and Espeon
July 19th, 2004, 11:04 AM
Family decided to get DSL instead of cable. I think where I live, more people use cable connections, so it would be slow... >_>

Shadow
July 19th, 2004, 02:19 PM
We tried DSL for a while and it was a lot slower then our cable (and many people here have cable internet from the same provider). Sprint sucks.

At least you got rid of AOL. I don't really care what you do as long as you got rid of it. AOL, Windows XP, and Dial-Up connections are the source of 99.9999% of computer problems.

aaaaaa
July 19th, 2004, 02:21 PM
Goodie.
You'll enjoy DSL, it's quite nice.

Simon
July 19th, 2004, 02:30 PM
Yeah, everyone around here uses cable so I got DSL. The only provider I know of is SBC Yahoo! and it runs nice. It's pretty good but my hamster chewed up a wire so I had to replace one of the cables. Off topic...

Febbie8
July 19th, 2004, 02:34 PM
yeah i have cable its MUCH faster than any dialup system its also better to have cable if you have a website and need to update it cause for dialup its SO slow i tried it before and it took an hour to load a bitmap pic

Sakura and Espeon
July 19th, 2004, 03:34 PM
Verison DSL for 60 dollars a month? Well, the service starts in sometime in august, but not all the computers are connected to a network, so. >_>

Geometric-sama
July 19th, 2004, 09:42 PM
I wish I could get cable, but where I live (in the whole country!) there are only two cable providers, and since there's no competition they are very expensive. Actually, even ADSL is very expensive here o_O

aRedMoon
July 19th, 2004, 09:47 PM
Here, everything is run by mainly one company, Quest.

Their modems suck.

Geometric-sama
July 19th, 2004, 09:56 PM
We have two companies, Telstra and Optus.

Optus is good, but after the download limit it slows you to the speed of a 28k modem. o_O And Telstra? Terrible support, it has a "heartbeat" that causes a lot of headaches, smaller download limits (although only shaped to 64k)... and both of these companies are expensive o_O. Hrrumph.