View Full Version : Imagining people as their avatars

March 12th, 2008, 7:20 AM
I (like Hicky, whom I got the idea for this thread from) have the annoying habit of imagining people as their avatars, and when someone like TK (or Trainer Kat to those not aware of my often used abbreviation) changes her avatar daily, she just begins to become a haze when I look at her posts.

Is this with everyone, or just me? Discuss.

March 12th, 2008, 8:26 AM
Imagine them AS their avatar? Well, no. XD;

But if you mean associate them/their posts with their avatars, then definitely. Avatars are usually the first thing I notice, and I remember certain avatars with certain people. o3o

Gerri Shin
March 12th, 2008, 8:33 AM
I wouldn't say I imagine them AS their avatar, however If I haven't seen a picture of them I will usually associate thier avatar or a person in their sig as them.

March 12th, 2008, 9:35 AM
I think the signature is more representative of someone on the forums. Some people on the forums actually dedicate time into their signature, making it look the best they can, and it's honestly what they like. An avatar is just a square picture that is sometimes just taken away from the banner itself.

I don't notice the avatar very much.. if I'm about to read a post from someone, or if I already have and thought it was interesting, I'll just look at the username. XD;;

Lady Nicole
March 12th, 2008, 10:58 AM
lol I hope no-one does this to me, I don't particularly want to be imagined as a Drifloon XD I mean, Drifloon is cute, but I don't really want to be one o.O

Anyway, I wouldn't say I imagine people to literally look like their avatars (lmao), but I associate their avatar with them, if you get what I mean. Not like... actually imagining they are their avatar or anything :laugh:

March 12th, 2008, 11:39 AM
If there's nothing else to go by, I generally will see some kind of heavy association with a person and their avatar.

On my avatar, I'm not actually a girl who plays a violin, but feel free to see me as such.

March 12th, 2008, 11:51 AM
I think the avatars say something about themselves to because your right they chose it so its them actually just like mine i love Tyranitars which is sorta like a dragon and its a dark type.

Yes! I do actually imagine people as their avatar some of the time!
Usually if it's a theme they've used for a long time or something memorable.
Someone has told me before that they imagine me as 2k-tan from a theme I used a lot awhile back. Yeah, I view people as their avatar sometimes :x

Spaekle Oddberry
Of course I'm a Toxicroak! Come on, what else would I be?

But, yeah, I do that too. Haha. It's weird when their avatar is a character from something I recognize, because then I'll start associating that character's face with them. And it's also strange when a person doesn't really have any kind of animate object in their avatar, because then I just imagine them as some sort of... shapeless essence or something? Perhaps some sort of vague human figure with facial details I can't make out?

March 12th, 2008, 11:55 AM
Chibi, I think I imagine you as 2k-tan. XD

I associate people with their signatures, not their avatars. So the people who change their signatures and avatars every day? They bother me a lot because I have nothing concrete to associate them with. (Especially since they're usually the types to change their name every chance they get, too.)

March 12th, 2008, 12:09 PM
I don't really..jusge people based on whatever theme/avy they're using. I mean, yeah, it gives you a general idea of what their interests are, but it doesn't really..say anything about the person's attitude ._.

I prefer to see what they're like through what they say..or type, or whatever.

..Like right now, having realized that signatures are totally un-Metal, I'm not using one anymore, so no one can judge me by what it is <_<

March 12th, 2008, 1:37 PM
Yeah, I'm totally a loli character cosplaying as a Mantyke :P

But yeah, I sometimes tend to form an idea about what a person looks like concerning their avatar, though it's more like I just associate them with it.

March 12th, 2008, 1:46 PM
I odn't really imagine people as their avatars, but I when I see someone's avatar I'll be like "yea...that's Bob since his avatar is like that." When someone gets a new avatar along with a new name, I will have trouble recognizing them at all. An avatar is just another way for me to recognize who the person is.

March 12th, 2008, 2:56 PM
I don't really imagine people as their avatar. I just think that a person's avatar suits their personality ... maybe. =D

March 12th, 2008, 3:03 PM
I (like Hicky, whom I got the idea for this thread from) have the annoying habit of imagining people as their avatars, and when someone like TK (or Trainer Kat to those not aware of my often used abbreviation) changes her avatar daily, she just begins to become a haze when I look at her posts.

Is this with everyone, or just me? Discuss.???

I thought thats what you were supposed to do:P
(thats what I do anyways)

Tater Tot
March 12th, 2008, 3:33 PM
No, I don't imagine them as their avy's because I have a Cheese Avy. Although my friends call me Cheese doesn't mean that I look like Cheese. The person a post ago has a Kabutops as their Avy, they cannot look like a Kabutops. XD Also Clade: I think Avy's are supposed to suit people's personality too. My personality is just like Cheese. XD

March 12th, 2008, 4:02 PM
I actaully do the same thing. Right know, Hazuki is a plant to me xD

Trainer Kat
March 12th, 2008, 4:58 PM
xDD I do NOT change my theme every day, Mr. Oni~!

But yes. For a while, I just sort of...pictured you as the boy in your signature when he was your avatar as well. Well, I'm having a hard time picturing you as a cheetah with a top hat, but...at least I know it's you when I see that avatar.

Long story short--
If you have a person as your avatar (like 雀), that's how I will visualize you.
Unless...y'know...you're a girl with a guy as your avatar...

March 12th, 2008, 5:24 PM
Long story short--

I feel exactly the same way. I also tend to generate possible personalities based on someone's avatar, username and sig. I can spot a noob from a mile away!

March 12th, 2008, 5:28 PM
Interesting thread, and actually I do it sometimes...

I'm not exactly sure on the factors and everything, but some when I person doesnt post a picture in the "post you thread" then I just go by what ever is out there, but in other ties I know a person so well by their posts that I can somewhat imagine what they look like.

So yeah sort of case by case. Though yes, sometimes I go by avatar.

March 12th, 2008, 5:57 PM
xDD I do NOT change my theme every day, Mr. Oni~!

But yes. For a while, I just sort of...pictured you as the boy in your signature when he was your avatar as well. Well, I'm having a hard time picturing you as a cheetah with a top hat, but...at least I know it's you when I see that avatar.

Long story short--

It shows elegance and genius, which is exactly what you should be thinking when you see my avatar.

March 13th, 2008, 11:59 AM
I have a bad habit of doing that myself. I've been going for forums for over 6 years now and I always imagine people looking somewhat like their avatar. Most of the time, it's very far off.

March 13th, 2008, 12:13 PM
Yeah, i remember back when i was with United Forums, I imagined people to be like their avatars... and eventually most of them imagined that I was not a really person, but a living embodiment of an anime character. Although at times, i'm not too far off from how my avatar looks.

March 13th, 2008, 12:33 PM
Actually I go more for the signatures, unless the person has the same avatar for months, and suddenly change it...
Nica helped me a lot about not caring about avatars, since she changes hers eight times per week XD

But, really, I have known a lot of people who care about the avatar: I once had a more girl-ish one and I was called "her" (despite the fact of having never changed the "male" from my profile O_o).

March 13th, 2008, 1:45 PM
Its easy to base an opinion on someone from their avatar. So when someone changes theirs it can be a bit confusing.

L is awesome and think he is really similar to me- so I feel comfortable about using it XD

Ayano Katagiri
March 14th, 2008, 1:34 AM
I definitely associate people with their avatars, but imagining them as their avatar is a bit difficult; especially when the avatar doesn't depict a person. If the avatar was of a person, then perhaps yes, I'll remember and associate that person to them temporarily.

Signatures define a person more... but then again, there's very little imagining to do there in my opinion.

March 14th, 2008, 7:22 AM
I can't imagine someone AS their avatar, but, yes, I'll associate someone with an avatar I've seen them use. People probably couldn't say that about me because I pretty much change my theme at least twice a week. ~.o

Omega Saikon
March 14th, 2008, 2:01 PM
This happens to me a lot, associating people with their avatars. I guess everybody relates to me too. Hah.

March 14th, 2008, 2:12 PM
Ah, yeah. I guess I am guilty of this sometimes, especially if I've never actually seen a picture of the person who posted. XD; If, for example, their avatar is of an anime character then I obviously know they don't look exactly like that... but I tend to assume things like their hair color and the like are similar.

That, or I'll think of the person every time I see a picture of the character. (Like Phoenix Wright = 100marios. XD I can't help it!)

March 14th, 2008, 2:52 PM
Not really. I associate people with their personalities online though or how their design is. I see some of the people that do the &&___{ INSERT GOOEY MESSAGE HERE } .; things as either preps or wanabee preps (I admit I was that person once upon a time), I imagine the people who have a really good personality who everyone loves as pretty (or hot), and I see the messy people who talk lyke ths and have awful signatures as nerds. Haha not the best thing, but I can't help it.

Virtual Chatot
March 14th, 2008, 3:04 PM
This is one of the problems I have while talking online with other people xD

I will start to relate them with their avatars, and when they change it, I hardly ever notice them until I notice they changed it -_-;

March 14th, 2008, 6:51 PM
oni, I see you like a Raichuu with one of those one-eyed glasses-like things and a black tophat o_O

I usually associate them with an image in their sig or avvy...... or a mixture of both! (as shown by Oni Raichu)

March 14th, 2008, 10:47 PM
i usally use the avatar and sig to determine tone of voice and characterstics.i can't explain it well, but basically i do use the avatar to determine characteristics.

The Infinite Devil Machine
March 14th, 2008, 11:21 PM
It''s really not a good idea. XD Especially considering that some members have themes featuring characters of the other gender. \o/

March 14th, 2008, 11:51 PM
Haha, but that's why we have the Gender stat right above our post count right? I honestly think my avatar reflects who I am, and usually people's avatars and sigs reflect a part of themselves, so it might not be a bad idea to associate them with the person because they want that part of themselves to be seen.

March 18th, 2008, 3:59 PM
i wish i was my avatar id be an awsome guy with a sword who stops evil dudes but my best bud is dead

March 18th, 2008, 4:04 PM
i naturaley think that avatars are a miniature version of that person for some reason.

March 18th, 2008, 5:29 PM
Uhhh, nope. I usually try to go by posts, see what they type, how it sounds to me. Then I just try and imagine what they look like.

March 18th, 2008, 6:52 PM
I hope people imagine me as a Jynx.<3 I don't really do it myself. Even though sometimes I don't recognize people when they change their theme.

March 18th, 2008, 11:51 PM
I don't really rely on avatars to recognize 'em. Imagining Beachboy being a Gyrados! But even though mine is ZIM!

March 18th, 2008, 11:51 PM
I hear I look like Roxas anyway, so it isn't that big of a stretch haha.

March 19th, 2008, 11:42 AM
I actaully do the same thing. Right know, Hazuki is a plant to me xD

Huh? What? What does that mean???? o.O;;;

I used to do that when I was no0b at Serebii but then people kept on changing so it confused me even more. I never bothered to read their user names. xD;;

But! I would feel a little offened if someone imagined me as a guy -pokes at Suzaku avvi- ._.

March 19th, 2008, 11:57 AM
When I was a noob, I did associate people with their themes. And yet it was confusing when they changed themes.

I don't do that anymore.
But, I never forget the first theme I saw someone in. It's like a first impression, never goes away..

March 19th, 2008, 2:13 PM
I don't normally notice upon one's avatar, unless its something catchy, like its moving or whatever. Sometimes I can when I am engaged into a conversation with them.

I just recently changed mine because it just immediately resulted in dissatisfaction. Interesting topic though. I wonder if people think of me as Wentworth Miller. <3

Dawg 2005
March 19th, 2008, 4:25 PM
Well, don't imagine me as my avatar. Unless you're into the whole transexual thing...

I don't imagine people AS their avatars, but I associate them with the person.

March 20th, 2008, 1:59 AM
Well I really don't have red eyes o_o;; I swear

Man of Faith
March 20th, 2008, 3:09 AM
What?! Their's actually a topic for this. I do... Even if I've seen their pictures... D:

Tater Tot
March 20th, 2008, 6:34 AM
Well, I think some people try to make their Avy look alot like them. I don't, I think Avy's should say people's personalities. That's my opinion.

March 20th, 2008, 6:40 AM
Well, my themes moreso match my attitude at the moment.
So it changes a lot XD
I've never gotten an avatar because I thought it physically looked like me. That's not fun at all! Reflecting personality is also how I think it should be.

March 20th, 2008, 6:46 AM
I always used to do that when I was young, but I hardly ever do it anymore.

But if you imagine me to be a Houndoom, be free XD

March 22nd, 2008, 12:20 PM
Oh darnit.... I was just about to make a theme featuring someone of the other gender... ^^

Oni, I totally see you as a cheetah with an eye-thingy and that hat. When you first changed to that avatar, I immediately thought "that's him, that's his real him". Not kidding! So, I guess you got me where you wanted ^^

Unlike just everybody before me, I don't tend to associate people with their themes. Well, perhaps with people I don't really know, and people with really n00bish usernames and so on. But people I see regularly, I actually do look on their usernames. For example, i don't imagine DC as his current theme.... heh. So I instead get really really confused when people change their names drastically.

I did however imagine Beachy as Roxas for a while^^ (don't tell him I said that)

Myself, I'm probably one of those who change themes at least once a week. But I hope I've got a username unique enough for people to recognize me anyway ^^*

Live in Color
March 22nd, 2008, 1:57 PM
That would be awesome if people thought of me as Gimmy. :D

But yeah, I don't really picture people as their avatars, but get a general idea of what they like from their avatars, and just remember the avatar they had with their username.

March 22nd, 2008, 2:01 PM
I do picture some people as there avatars sometimes.. depending how long they use it and if it 'matches' their gender.

Hope no one pictures me as mine… seeing as I can't really what a person would think of me @.@

March 22nd, 2008, 9:12 PM
Sometimes I do associate people with their avatars, but it depends.

It's not like, that's what I think they look like, it's more on their personality.

Say if someone had a really pretty avatar, I would think of their personality as being serene and they're a nice person.

Or if someone had a funny avatar, therefore they would have a funny type of personality.

March 23rd, 2008, 2:59 AM
In my sense, I can see the personality of a member through their avatar and banner(sometimes)...
But my guesses ain't perfect all the time. xD

So I don't imagine people's physical appearance through their avatar. Rather, I can sense their personalities (if I don't know them yet.) :P

March 23rd, 2008, 8:15 AM
Well I do associate people with their avatars and sometimes I may have thought this.

But I don't really do it.

March 23rd, 2008, 8:34 AM
I don't imagine people as their avatars. I don't think anyone would imagine me as Luffy. XD

March 24th, 2008, 12:01 AM
Eh, on the forum I frequent (PFU if you must know - hi Jaxxie!) most avatars are Pokemon-based, and as such it's quite hard to imagine them as that. I either form my own mental image of them, associate them with what's in the picture thread or, as is the case with Jax, have an image burned into my retinas. DX

I'm not a Staraptor, and I'm not an emo. Your assumptions upon my avatar are epic fail.

March 24th, 2008, 12:33 AM
I definately perceive people like their avatars. What I normally due in my non-roleplay posts is imagine whatever is in the avatar saying it. (Say if it was bugs Bunny. Then I would imagine Bugs Bunny saying it and respond with in a witty way.)

March 24th, 2008, 12:23 PM
Sure, I associate people with their avatars (but not necessarily actually remember them AS their avatars.) Most of the time, however, I remember people by their signatures since I think that's where the majority of people invest their efforts into personalizing and/or making. (: