PDA

View Full Version : What are badges made from?

Dizzy
July 18th, 2004, 01:42 AM
What do you think Badges are made from, reply with your answers and/or complete the poll :)

--White Wolf--
July 18th, 2004, 02:05 AM
i think it's metal.... Who agrees?

Pincushion
July 18th, 2004, 02:12 AM
There stones, with painted patterns on them, or if the gymms are cheap and mean, Plastic lol!

Username

Dizzy
July 18th, 2004, 02:13 AM
They have the world's most abnormal shine to them! Hello, can someone say Anima, not metal :)

Sorye HK
July 18th, 2004, 03:09 AM
Well, at least we know that the orange league badges are
made of seashells. The others I think are made of a really
cheap type of metal. Or people won't be able to make as many
badges.

^^NICK^^ v.3.0
July 18th, 2004, 05:54 AM
I think there's a possiblity that badges are made from the same material (apricots or something similar) Kurt uses to makes Pokballs. Or, maybe they're just made using the same process, but with a different material. Maybe metal, because metal shines. I've never heard of anima.

Chairman Kaga
July 18th, 2004, 08:19 AM
I think we can rule out anima since there's no magic in the pokemon world XP

Badges are metal, delicately painted and coated with a lacquer that makes them shine. Simple as that.

Iveechan
July 18th, 2004, 08:33 AM
But badges in the games have the power to make stronger Pokemon obey you. So I agree with Nick that they are made of a very special material like Aprikorns.

Porygon
July 18th, 2004, 09:40 AM
An indestructable alloy of Titanium, Steel, and Silver Rock to give them a luster shine!I think we can rule out anima since there's no magic in the pokemon world XP
What about that woman who turned Ash into a pikachu?

Kayleigh
July 18th, 2004, 10:22 AM
I think that it depends. Maybe leaders like Brock have their badges made with a certain type of material. (Boulder Badge = Stone?) They could be coated with something to give them their shine, maybe? They all do look metal, though. And I do wonder how they're supposed to give your Pokemon more power, like Iveechan mentioned.

Mew13
July 18th, 2004, 10:46 AM
I think a lot of the badges are made of a crystalline subsatnce. That's what makes them shine. But, of course, this excludes the Orange Islands.

Chairman Kaga
July 18th, 2004, 11:20 AM
The woman that turned Ash into a Pikachu? I'm not sure I remember that, was it in the manga or something? o_O

Either way, it's confirmed that there are people with psychic powers in the pokemon world so I would lean toward it being some telekinetic effect, as Sabrina was able to turn the crew into dolls with her mind, it stands to reason that Ash could be turned into a pikachu by the same psychic power.

Abskull
July 18th, 2004, 12:20 PM
I think it's made out of some stone. Carved to look like what you see now.

Pogiforce-14
July 18th, 2004, 12:35 PM
I think it's basically painted metal glazed to keep them from chipping, probably with a press mark to signify it's the real deal and not a fake.

Kairi
July 18th, 2004, 01:33 PM
It seems to me the whole idea of Hmm, this other human gave my human a piece of metal, I will respect him/her more seems kind of weird. O_o;

Hikaru's Twin
July 18th, 2004, 02:55 PM
I'm saying metal, and my decision's purely based from the special episode "Misty! Get the Cascade Badge!" it seems most likely going by the screeshots. I don't think the level controlling power really comes into play within the Anime though and that the badges just tend to be collective and show a trainer's experience more than anything. Maybe i'm missing something though.

The woman that turned Ash into a Pikachu? I'm not sure I remember that, was it in the manga or something? o_O

The woman that turned Ash tnto a Pikachu was called Lily, i think...i don't know, she had pink hair anyway....she was from the episode "Hocus Pokemon"

Pogiforce-14
July 18th, 2004, 03:29 PM
It seems to me the whole idea of Hmm, this other human gave my human a piece of metal, I will respect him/her more seems kind of weird. O_o;

it's not what it's made of that makes them respect them more, it's waht it represtens. Let me run by you a different scenario.

" My human just recieved a symbol of the other human's recognition of the great leadership and strategy that shows we are great and will help us earn our way to the final tournament where we may become the strongest and the best in all the world. And it's all thanks to my humans strategizing, hard training, care and smart thinking on his feet." That is the kind of thinking that makes the Pokemon respect them more. The pokemon aren't dumb animals that just see it as a chunk of metal and leave it at that, they understand it better than that.They understand that it means their trainer's style of training is a successs and is worth some respect.

Mew13
July 18th, 2004, 04:32 PM
I totally agree!! I think the Pokemon understand. Plus, they earned those badges too, so they must be proud of them!!

Dizzy
July 18th, 2004, 04:40 PM
Buuuut Anima make more sense than metal! Metal lacks Anima totally, and the badges do control elements (BOULDERBADGE is made out of stone, CASCADEBADGE is made out of encased water, THUNDERBADGE is made from encased Thunder.... need I go on?)

Kairi
July 18th, 2004, 05:07 PM
it's not what it's made of that makes them respect them more, it's waht it represtens. Let me run by you a different scenario.

" My human just recieved a symbol of the other human's recognition of the great leadership and strategy that shows we are great and will help us earn our way to the final tournament where we may become the strongest and the best in all the world. And it's all thanks to my humans strategizing, hard training, care and smart thinking on his feet." That is the kind of thinking that makes the Pokemon respect them more. The pokemon aren't dumb animals that just see it as a chunk of metal and leave it at that, they understand it better than that.They understand that it means their trainer's style of training is a successs and is worth some respect.
Yeah but that respect is human-given. And if they already dont respect you as a human, why would they care about the respect of other humans? =\ High level Pokmon seem to think theyre too good to follow orders, so what does a human pact really do? I suppose it could be they know the power of the foes Pokmon and then maybe recognize that if they respect their human, it should respect that human too, and if that human gives its human a badge, thenehh, I guess.

Pogiforce-14
July 18th, 2004, 05:17 PM
Buuuut Anima make more sense than metal! Metal lacks Anima totally, and the badges do control elements (BOULDERBADGE is made out of stone, CASCADEBADGE is made out of encased water, THUNDERBADGE is made from encased Thunder.... need I go on?)

I fail to see how that makes more sense. :\

Sean Fury
July 18th, 2004, 05:18 PM
I think the badges differ, from Gym to Gym...if we are focusing on "real-life" Gyms, than I'm sure the badges would be made out of some sort of stainless steel, or some other sort of metal, with heat-resistance and such to keep it safe from Pokemon harm.

Pogiforce-14
July 18th, 2004, 05:23 PM
Speaking practically.:) I totally agree, pretty much the same thing I said.

Sean Fury
July 18th, 2004, 05:24 PM
Eh, sorry if I said the same thing, normally in threads like this, I don't read anybody's posts, so I can ignore accidently copying someone's ideas.

Jeremy
July 18th, 2004, 05:30 PM
I assume it differs depending on Gym. But the majority of the badges seem to be made out of stainless steel.

Pogiforce-14
July 18th, 2004, 05:58 PM
Eh, sorry if I said the same thing, normally in threads like this, I don't read anybody's posts, so I can ignore accidently copying someone's ideas.

Nah, it's alright. i was just glad someone was thinking practically about it rather than surmising from their imagination. Anima is nice and all that, and a spell is really mystical, but it just doesn't seem practical, even in the pokemon world. i was agreeing with you. It's a poll, there is going to be repeated opinions. :D

Sean Fury
July 18th, 2004, 05:59 PM
I could understand Anima if the Pokemon Gym Leaders had...some sort of powers, like Sabrina with her Psychic abilties. But even than, it wouldn't make sense, because once you get to Johto...they have all those strange badges, ya know?

Pogiforce-14
July 18th, 2004, 06:34 PM
yeah, I mean, look at the Zephyr badge. Wing anima? is their even such a thing? :\

Sean Fury
July 18th, 2004, 06:36 PM
Let's stop using Anima now, call it Mana, it makes more sense. Anyway, it would be Wind Mana, because Flying-type equals Wind, ya know? Makes sense I guess.

Janis Joplin
July 18th, 2004, 07:02 PM
i think badges are made from th peace love heo pe sysnshine comin from the gym leaders heart so theyre all good

July 21st, 2004, 05:02 AM
I think it is made from stones. They are flat stone with steel-like paint on stones.

Shana
July 21st, 2004, 07:16 AM
I think metal, it just looks like that. :P

Pogiforce-14
July 21st, 2004, 08:55 AM
It seems most likely metal. Why make it out of stone and then make it look like steel, when it's so much easier jsut to make it out of steel in the first place?

Keleri
July 21st, 2004, 02:44 PM
Heh, I always figured they'd be made out of a mixture of plastic and glass, which would be cost-effective and also account for the badges' lustre...but making them out of laquer-coated metal does sound plausible.

I always figured the whole "this badge increases your pokemon's stats/makes traded pokemon obey you" thing was just a quirk of the games...if you wanted to apply that to an anime/fanfiction scenario, I'd say the badges are symbolic of the growing relationship between the trainer and pokemon...or maybe it just makes the pokemon go "wow, she's tough, maybe I'll refrain from biting her in the kneecaps..." *shrugs*

Charmander's Flame
July 21st, 2004, 05:04 PM
Methinks they are all made of metal.

Pincushion
July 22nd, 2004, 02:32 AM
I still think there stones, of some sort, but i always imagine water ones to be shells of some sort, and Fire ones could be fire embers, or coal lol!

Funny thread!