PDA

View Full Version : Main Characters

Scales
March 23rd, 2008, 07:58 PM
Something I have always tried doing in my fanfics and roleplays is make characters different from other ones. But this proves to be a very large challenge

Take my fanfic Lost Heaven for example. Lost Heaven has a large Final Fantasy theme (Its still in its beginning chapters so you don't see it). Most of the party members I am going to introduce are what I perceive to be different from each other.

Anyway my question is. What kind of pokemon characters do you think could have the best personality?

bobandbill
March 24th, 2008, 01:09 AM
Anyway my question is. What kind of pokemon characters do you think could have the best personality?

IMO, there is no such thing as the ideal Pokemon character, or the 'best' personality. It's how you use the characters and their personalities, and how you create character interaction between differing characters.

Ironic ones are always ok (e.g. a non-hungry Munchlax), but ones that make sense can also work well, if exaggerated.

It isn't that important to have them all totally different from one another, but at most similar to each other. Just mess around with ideas for characters, or come up with a broad personality for new characters when you get to them, and evolve it as you write and get on with the story.

JX Valentine
March 24th, 2008, 04:30 AM
IMO, there is no such thing as the ideal Pokemon character, or the 'best' personality. It's how you use the characters and their personalities, and how you create character interaction between differing characters.

Ironic ones are always ok (e.g. a non-hungry Munchlax), but ones that make sense can also work well, if exaggerated.

I agree, although even if they're not exaggerated, they can work well. For example, someone who's completely run-of-the-mill ordinary thrown into odd situations. Their character isn't the one that's exaggerated (so you could possibly meet someone like them on the street), but everything that goes on around them is what makes them interesting. For example, Arthur Dent from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. He's basically meant to be a portrayal of a boring Englishman, yet he's believable and interesting just because of how he fits into the story. (That is, he doesn't.)

Unless you meant something else by "exaggerated."

I just feel that a well-done main character is just like any other character in the story. If you want to pull one off, you'll just need to develop them. Figure out who they are in terms of personality (maybe even backstory) and, as bobandbill put it, use them. Figure out how they would react to different scenarios and characters and make sure you stay true to those ideas. You can, therefore, have whatever concept you want, but it's whether or not you actually develop it as much as possible right off the bat (as in, make them feel believable) that makes the character interesting.

txteclipse
March 26th, 2008, 09:45 PM
Well, in my fic, I have a Houndoom that is completely feared no matter where he goes but never actually does anything bad. He's also a main good character, which I wouldn't think would be normal for a Houndoom.

So yes, unexpected personalities can be good. Otherwise, it's really just a matter of need. Should the character be funny? Should they be serious? Do they have the correct anatomy to do what is necessary of them (geodudes cannot drive, for instance)?

You also need to be considerate of development of the character. A good rule of thumb is to imagine where you want your character to be at the start and end of the book, and then scribble out a timeline for where they should be at each point in the story development-wise. Then, simply pick the pokemon that you feel meets that development the best, or one you could see in most or all of the situations doing what you need the character to do.

Another way to do it is to pick the pokemon first, and then think of what they would do in certain situations. Going back to the Houndoom example, people run away from him screaming at times. He at first is appalled at this reaction, but then develops a sort of cruel humor from it. He laughs as people run away, and tells his companions about the best reactions he's seen. So it can go this way as well, and both options are completely viable.

Scales
March 26th, 2008, 10:26 PM
You also need to be considerate of development of the character. A good rule of thumb is to imagine where you want your character to be at the start and end of the book, and then scribble out a timeline for where they should be at each point in the story development-wise. Then, simply pick the pokemon that you feel meets that development the best, or one you could see in most or all of the situations doing what you need the character to do.

Actually that is something I regularly do. Its something I do in my fanfics from time to time I choose an important character and draw out a timeline of how they are going to develop

txteclipse
March 27th, 2008, 04:14 PM
I'm actually going to take this in another direction. In FF, there's the class system, right? So if you're going to include that, you could pick pokemon that fit well in each class. I've seen Scythers and Weaviles as assassins (love that word), Gallades as knights, something like a Gardevoir or a Mismagius as a black mage/necromancer, etc. etc. So if your thinking more that way, I could help you brainstorm a list of pokemon for each class, and then you could go from there.