PDA

View Full Version : Earth Hour

Nuke
March 29th, 2008, 10:18 AM
Has anyone heard of Earth hour?

Today, Saturday 28th, Earth Hour will make an effort to tell everyone to turn their lights out from 8-9PM to help stopping climate change.

Personally I think it wont stop climate change much but it could be my chance to experience blackouts like in WWII.

Still I think its a bad idea.

Your thoughts?

El Gofre
March 29th, 2008, 10:28 AM
It's a nice idea and may help, but the idea that entire countires or even entire cities will do this is completely unrealistic. I for one hadnt heard about it until now, and i dont think restaurants or hospitals will wanna continure business in the dark lol

Black_Wolf
March 29th, 2008, 10:35 AM
I heard about it. Heck, the whole base knows about it. We got some of those Environmentalist chicken littles askin for us to turn the lighs off.

Are we gonna do it?

Not likely, We can't get anything done without lights.

But I still think it would be nice to be able to see the stars, though.

Spaekle Oddberry
March 29th, 2008, 10:38 AM
I didn't know about it until around 3 AM this morning when I went on Google and was all ":0 Google turned black!"

And, well, uh, I guess it's not hurting anything if just for an hour? I'm assuming it's a voluntary thing and not some "OKAY CITY'S SHUT EVERYTHING DOWN" ...which actually could be a problem. But, if it's just a thing you can choose to do, most people won't bother. Meh.

Cherrim
March 29th, 2008, 10:40 AM
Actually, a lot of cities are really pushing Earth Hour. The city I'm in (Toronto) is one of the official participants so a lot of businesses and restaurants are actually going through with it. For example, one restaurant downtown that usually has a DJ will be having acoustic music all evening and dinner in candlelight.

Anyway, I don't believe having a lot of people turn lights off for an hour will have any real impact on the environment, but the whole point of it, as I see it, is mostly to raise awareness. It kind of reminds me of when a lot of the Eastern US and part of Canada had those blackouts in August... '05? All of a sudden we had no lights but with a few candles, we were able to pretty much continue on as normal. It really wasn't too bad at all. I know my family will sometimes leave lights on when we don't really need them so maybe a night like this will just teach a little preservation. It might make people realize just how unnecessary some things we take for granted are.

My family's participating. Though I think only my brother and I will be in the house for that time. XD;

On a related note... has anyone seen Google (http://www.google.com) today?

Nuke
March 29th, 2008, 10:43 AM
Actually, a lot of cities are really pushing Earth Hour. The city I'm in (Toronto) is one of the official participants so a lot of businesses and restaurants are actually going through with it. For example, one restaurant downtown that usually has a DJ will be having acoustic music all evening and dinner in candlelight.

Anyway, I don't believe having a lot of people turn lights off for an hour will have any real impact on the environment, but the whole point of it, as I see it, is mostly to raise awareness. It kind of reminds me of when a lot of the Eastern US and part of Canada had those blackouts in August... '05? All of a sudden we had no lights but with a few candles, we were able to pretty much continue on as normal. It really wasn't too bad at all. I know my family will sometimes leave lights on when we don't really need them so maybe a night like this will just teach a little preservation. It might make people realize just how unnecessary some things we take for granted are.

My family's participating. Though I think only my brother and I will be in the house for that time. XD;

On a related note... has anyone seen Google (http://www.google.com) today?

Yes I have seen Google today.

It really spooked me because when it has a theme it is still white usually I would of though they would of just make the "Google" logo black.

Live in Color
March 29th, 2008, 10:44 AM
I think it's good... at least we're gaining a good amount of energy, but the blackouts part isn't gonna be good. :x I'm personally not participating because I like my lights. :D

Jaimes
March 29th, 2008, 10:53 AM
Yeah I got freaked out when I saw Google last night...

I'm living at London Bridge.. though honestly there doesn't look like many people are considering in taking part here >_>

Nuke
March 29th, 2008, 10:58 AM
Yeah I got freaked out when I saw Google last night...

I'm living at London Bridge.. though honestly there doesn't look like many people are considering in taking part here >_>

I hate to offend my home country but that is probably because this country cant be bothered.

It could also be because the word hasnt spread here though.

Still I dont think it will go down well with our country at all.

Went
March 29th, 2008, 11:02 AM
I have just heard of it right now, and I should be doing it in a minute @_@"
Well, I guess I will shut as many lights as I can.
Ok, the streetlamps have gone off XD
*Yurns the lights off*

Himawarii
March 29th, 2008, 11:05 AM
Hahaha I've heard about it since yesterday,and I personally will try and participate,since as of late I've been an environmental freak haha ;]

I liked Google's way of spreading the word xD; It certainly got my attention.

Jaimes
March 29th, 2008, 12:21 PM
Well.. we're 20minutes into London's Earth Hour.... I've put all my lights out (though not my laptop obviously) and it's really messing up my eyesight >_>

When I look outside the window... everything looks as normal. Guess not many people are taking part. To be fair though it wasn't really well publicised at all.

Virtual Chatot
March 29th, 2008, 12:26 PM
I won't be doing it, because I'm staying at a hotel xD

Google looks like a piece of crap now xD

Kyoko
March 29th, 2008, 12:32 PM
I saw google today, but I didn't know this was the reason why they were doing this. I think it's a good idea and I'm all for conserving energy so my lights will be out tonight. I think some people will go through with it because they've been playing commericals about it around here to get our attention.

So point being, I think it's a good idea and I'm going to do it :D

sims796
March 29th, 2008, 01:02 PM
I never heard of this. I feel bad. Well, I'm cutting off my power for one hour, to ease my conscience.

BakingBluePotatoe
March 29th, 2008, 01:23 PM
heh, the lights are off in my room right now, and it's still the day... lol

I will most certainly try.

El Gofre
March 29th, 2008, 01:34 PM
Ahhhh so its an american thing. That explains why i havent heard about it :)

Went
March 29th, 2008, 01:45 PM
Ahhhh so its an american thing. That explains why i havent heard about it :)

No, it isn't.
According to my usual newspaper, it has been done in 400 cities and towns in more than 35 countries.
It started this morning in Sidney (Australia) and it will end in San Francisco (USA), after going through Asia and Europe.

Ayano Katagiri
March 29th, 2008, 01:47 PM
My lights are off right now... but it is almost 11AM.. xD
I only heard about this last night when it was about 11PM as I happened to be online... it wasn't publicised here at all, so I didn't even know about it when it happened so hence I didn't take part.

It's certainly a nice idea though, conserving the energy. But the question is; how much of an effect is this really going to have?
I guess it's large-scale enough if everyone did it to conserve a significant amount of energy, but it'd be easier if this just happened usually with small daily routines. I.e. Turning off lights when you leave the room or when not in use... but I guess it's just not that simple a solution to stop climate change. More needs to be done if it's really to work out.

Aizuke
March 29th, 2008, 01:48 PM
I did my earth hour last night.

But we didn't have the middle room light closed.

And my dad was freaking out that we'd get fined or something.. @_@;;

But it's voluntary so yeah. o.o

I don't think shutting off the lights for one hour will do anything. That's just a call for vandalism and whatnot.

Maybe if we had to do it for a day, that might do something.

El Gofre
March 29th, 2008, 01:51 PM
No, it isn't.
According to my usual newspaper, it has been done in 400 cities and towns in more than 35 countries.
It started this morning in Sidney (Australia) and it will end in San Francisco (USA), after going through Asia and Europe.

Thats strange. I make a point of watching the 6oClock news everyday and it hasnt been mentioned all week. Hmmm....

zel 2.0
March 29th, 2008, 02:42 PM
I just figured out after being shocked by Google's page. What the...?

In any case, I think it's pointless, I dont see how turning lights off will help, and I think there are much worse ways of pollution, like cars and factories. But I guess they wont disappear as easy as that.

Cherrim
March 29th, 2008, 02:49 PM
Thats strange. I make a point of watching the 6oClock news everyday and it hasnt been mentioned all week. Hmmm....
I've barely gone a day in the last week or two without hearing about EarthHour somehow. Mind you, it's highly publicized here because Toronto's one of the participating cities. I guess it's really not in the spotlight for most other places though. :\

Saryka
March 29th, 2008, 03:05 PM
It kind of reminds me of when a lot of the Eastern US and part of Canada had those blackouts in August... '05? All of a sudden we had no lights but with a few candles, we were able to pretty much continue on as normal.

I remember that blackout. It was one of the things that made me realize how much our world was in trouble. D:

I'm for the Earth Hour, because it raises awareness and shows people what we take for granted in this world. I'm for it although I'll probably forget to do it. *shot*

Warheart
March 29th, 2008, 03:07 PM
Dude, I didn't even know this existed up until just now ._.

Anyways, I'm for it, and in ummm...56 minutes I'll be sure to shut everything off.

I like the idea of this, but not really sure how much an hour of saved electricity will accomplish =/

Avey
March 29th, 2008, 03:43 PM
Has anyone heard of Earth hour?

Today, Saturday 28th, Earth Hour will make an effort to tell everyone to turn their lights out from 8-9PM to help stopping climate change.

Personally I think it wont stop climate change much but it could be my chance to experience blackouts like in WWII.

Still I think its a bad idea.

Your thoughts?

Everyone go on google. They've made it black to raise awareness for Earth Hour.

Gummy
March 29th, 2008, 04:53 PM
So that's why it's black? I thought my internet was messing up O_o

sandcrawler
March 29th, 2008, 04:57 PM
I'd be all up on it if I didn't have to shut everything off in four minutes. It's an interesting concept though.

Spaekle Oddberry
March 29th, 2008, 05:05 PM
Oh. Whoop. It's over for me as of four minutes ago. The light was out in my room, but that's just because it's usually out in my room. :D; the rest of the house probably has the lights on.

Cherrim
March 29th, 2008, 05:20 PM
Just finished it here. My brother and I were the only ones home but we got up and... made sure all the lights were off (we didn't have any on to begin with XD) and then we turned off the TV and the computers and played a few games by candlelight. It was kind fun. :D

Anti
March 29th, 2008, 06:13 PM
Well I'm the pessimist who thinks that we will defeat ourselves, so I'm all for this. I've only heard about it recently, but I did turn off everything in the house today and played basketball outside for a few hours.

Ironically, we had a power outage last night for about an hour...seriously :0

41victory
March 29th, 2008, 06:23 PM
Yeah I went to google and I was all "Did google go emo?!"
Earth hour seems pointless ya know? because 1 hr is not going to help everyday of this.

evilcheese
March 29th, 2008, 07:02 PM
so this is why google changed there theme. i was wondering why they did that. i dont know if this will work. not everyone will do this the world is to messed up.

Michii
March 30th, 2008, 04:31 AM
so this is why google changed there theme. i was wondering why they did that. i dont know if this will work. not everyone will do this the world is to messed up.
But the point is that some will.

I think this is a great idea. Unlike a lot of people, I believe in global warming and I think I can make a difference. Say whatever you want, but haha you can't change the fact that I'm now a blackle (http://blackle.com/) user ^^.

ShadowofTime01
March 30th, 2008, 10:47 AM
I did it, although I didn't find it productive at all. It was really dark out, so i couldn't do anything, not even read. I ended up just taking an hour long nap. It might be a meaningless gesture, but it's nice to know the world recognizes the need for energy conservation... although I'm sure some people just went double time on their consumption after being off for an hour.

Cassino
March 30th, 2008, 04:53 PM
Did I miss it? Smeh... Problem with this Earth Hour is no one knows about it (at least no one I know including me...), so I laugh at its creators' lack of the ability to inform the public.

On a note on lights, everyone has them on unnecessarily, I even have mine on when right now my laptop's screen would suffice...

Razer302
March 31st, 2008, 02:29 AM
I only just found out about it. So I had no idea it was happening. I think there should have been more done about it. it is a good idea and i think we need to start doing something about changing the environment.

I wondered why google was black. I thought it was my computer messing up.

Suki
March 31st, 2008, 02:51 AM
I never heard of it before I looked at this thread. I think something should definitely be done about the environment right now and this is a good. And I didn't notice Google went black.

Kaguya
April 3rd, 2008, 04:05 PM
I did Earth Hour! At university people were spreading the news to all our classes, so when I got home and the time was right, Mom and I took out some candles and rode two hours of darkness. And seeing the stars was beautiful.

Binary
April 4th, 2008, 07:41 AM
I don't know anything about this...o_0
Anyways...I don't think it is going to help change the climate anyhow. It sounds stupid to turn off the lights...xD

Otter Mii-kun
April 7th, 2008, 09:46 PM
By the time this (non)"Event" happened, I completely forgot about it. (I wasn't going to participate in it anyway.)
I seriously doubt this "event" would've done crap to slow down "global warming". (Just like these "gascotts" which always make prices go up more by the end of the day anyway.)

Chikara
April 7th, 2008, 09:57 PM
That's funny cause I didn't actually know about it until like... 10 that day ._.

Google inverted the site that day too. I was caught off guard. I was like "What in holy hell is happening? o___o;". I even thought I'd be smart by checking the colors on my computer xDD;

Oooooh geez I disappoint myself sometimes.

Ryoutarou
April 7th, 2008, 09:58 PM
I don't know anything about this...o_0
Anyways...I don't think it is going to help change the climate anyhow. It sounds stupid to turn off the lights...xDReports are showing that (just like last year) this actually did a lot of good.

I think this should be made a monthly thing, but I'm not sure we're ready for it that often yet.

Kylie-chan
April 10th, 2008, 02:01 AM
Sorry if my views annoy you. Actually, to be honest, I'm not sorry, but... Yeah. =/Also, I'm not saying these people are representative of the majority, but I'm just commenting on these people.

Me? I didn't participate, actually -- but I know a fair few people who did. And I was honestly appalled at some of them. The general attitude with these people was... a kind of complacency. They turned off their lights for an hour, and this makes them EPIC SUPER CAPTAIN PLANET GREEN WARRIORS who had done a good thing. But, honestly, I think people are taking Earth Hour the wrong way. I think it was intended to be symbolic, to raise awareness if anything, because one hour without a light really doesn't add up to much. Congratulations if you didn't, but it doesn't mean you're some environment saver -- especially if you're doing it blindly. People will just do it because it's trendy to save the universe, but they don't actually put thought into it, which defeats the whole purpose.

My friend: Well, I did it. ^_^ I always like to save the environment~!
My friend II: ...But you were on the computer.
y friend: Oh... Haha... Yeah... I did turn off the lights though. ^^;

What the hell? This person had just done it like that without even thinking about what they were doing. They'd just turned the lights off and thought it stopped there. But, you know what, people? An hour's commitment means nothing, especially if you do it blindly.

I did a little research and your computer apparently can take from about 50-200 watts per hour. My figures are probably a bit rough, but they'll suffice.

If you really wanted to save power, turn your computer off as well. Turn off your television. Turn off your electronic devices. The lights for one hour is just a gesture.

If you really care so much, put in some effort.

No, I didn't do it, so maybe I seem hypocritical. But my reasoning still stands.

Okay, done with the angry rant soapbox crap now. Congrats to everyone who did it; I think it's great. I think it's great we can work together to do stuff like this.

Kinda irrelevantly, I didn't know Google went black, but then, I use an add-on to Firefox to make Google always black for me, so yeah. =o