PDA

View Full Version : Nicknames or No Nicknames?

Combee
April 5th, 2008, 02:07 AM
Which do you do/think is better nicknames or no nickname?

Personally I nickname the pokemon in my team because I think it's more fun and personal. However a lot of people just leave them as they are. What do you think?

Empoleon - Crumb [So cute, so cute.]
Palkia - Pearl [For obv. reasons...]
Giratina - George [I thought it looked like a George..]
Cresselia - [No nickname! ;0... ]
Magcargo - Margo [^^ Hehe...]
Volbeat - Fuzz [Why not buzz...?]

Razer302
April 5th, 2008, 02:11 AM
I don't nickname mine. I never have any good names so I just leave them. I prefer the normal names anyway.

Suki
April 5th, 2008, 02:25 AM
I nickname my Pokemon. I do think it's more fun and personal.

Motsuko Live
April 5th, 2008, 02:59 AM
I don't nickname my initial team (when I first start out) but I after I beat the league etc, I'll nickname my "Dream Team" Pokemon.

Combee
April 5th, 2008, 05:17 AM
I don't nickname my initial team (when I first start out) but I after I beat the league etc, I'll nickname my "Dream Team" Pokemon.
Awesome, i've kind of done it like that...

Adventure
April 5th, 2008, 05:23 AM

I kinda do it like that ^^
Or maybe I nickname them just before I go to Elite4. Before that, I always change my party members a lot... heh. I usually nickname my starter though. Since it's "special" :3

Espeon Master
April 5th, 2008, 05:32 AM
I usually nickname my in game team, but not my competitive team.

Combee
April 5th, 2008, 05:34 AM
I kinda do it like that ^^
Or maybe I nickname them just before I go to Elite4. Before that, I always change my party members a lot... heh. I usually nickname my starter though. Since it's "special" :3
Awr Cute. I have a special one too. Hehe. :]

Cake
April 5th, 2008, 08:52 AM
I like nicknaming my in-game starter, but that's about it. (My Empoleon's name is Poseidon)
I occasionally nickname one of the Pokemon in my competitive teams, but it's usually something vulgar. >.>

eliteaaron
April 5th, 2008, 09:14 AM
Sometimes I "nickname" my Pokemon when they're fully evolved. But usually that nickname is just their regular name in lowercase letters.. (BLAZIKEN -> Blaziken) xD

Combee
April 5th, 2008, 11:28 AM
Sometimes I "nickname" my Pokemon when they're fully evolved. But usually that nickname is just their regular name in lowercase letters.. (BLAZIKEN -> Blaziken) xD
Heh. :] That's cheating. >;]

Kratos_Aurion88
April 5th, 2008, 11:31 AM
I nickname the ones I use...and ones I think would be funny I.E.: Destroyer- Jigglypuff

Hyperz
April 5th, 2008, 12:03 PM
I nickname my Pokemon. I do think it's more fun and personal.
I totally agree with you.

BeachBoy
April 5th, 2008, 12:05 PM
Nicknaming your pokemon gives you a bigger bond & feeling it's your pokemon in my opinion.

I always nickname mine, and love finding interesting nicknames for them as well.

THIRTY-SIX
April 5th, 2008, 12:09 PM
I've only nicknamed my shiny pokémon.

Bellossom : Bella
Piidgeot: Sora
Golem: Rocky
Shinx: Lycan

Dark Jay
April 5th, 2008, 12:22 PM
Sometimes. If it was real life I probably would, but in-game, I rarely do. Only if it's like a special egg or something.

I did nickname a shiny once, but I've only caught about three. I called it Glimmer. =]

Lockmaster24
April 5th, 2008, 08:57 PM
I usally dont nickname but sometimes i do like if i have two of a pokemon for a reason i will nickname one

Kuri
April 5th, 2008, 09:26 PM
Hahaha sometimes I do it. I named my Treecko "Geico".

But most of the time, I prefer the actual Pokemon's name. It also helps when you need to start recognizing new Pokemon.

hothead
April 5th, 2008, 09:57 PM
I don't Nickname i Find it very annoying but the funny thing is i always try to nicname something but i can never think of any names

Last Raven
April 5th, 2008, 10:41 PM
I only nickname everything I EV train...it's a waste of time nicknaming everything you catch lol

Daboys121
April 5th, 2008, 10:49 PM
I usaully don't nickname because I can't think of a good one, but when I do think of one, I like it a lot.

Camisado
April 5th, 2008, 11:46 PM
I've nicknamed my themed team in the Diamond game I decided to do something different with xD basically, since I'm in IT Services, all my Pokémon have sort of...geeky names.

Umbreon - Blackberry (it's a mobile device, yo)
Luxio - Fedora (Linux)
Prinplup - Feather (Linux)
Aipom - Debian (Linux)
Ponyta - Oracle (Database system)Oh, and my trainer name is Cisco ;D

Combee
April 5th, 2008, 11:50 PM
I've nicknamed my themed team in the Diamond game I decided to do something different with xD basically, since I'm in IT Services, all my Pokémon have sort of...geeky names.

Umbreon - Blackberry (it's a mobile device, yo)
Luxio - Fedora (Linux)
Prinplup - Feather (Linux)
Aipom - Debian (Linux)
Ponyta - Oracle (Database system)Oh, and my trainer name is Cisco ;D

:] Heh heh.
Atleast people don't laugh at the nicknames you give your pokemon. :P I've given them cute names and they always get laughed at. -_-

Toon Link Will 0wN yu
April 5th, 2008, 11:51 PM
If I Can Think of Either cool/Funny names

Eg: Weavile: ShadowClaw Because he's like a shadow pokemon and he hunts his pray and tears them apart.

Camisado
April 5th, 2008, 11:53 PM
Atleast people don't laugh at the nicknames you give your pokemon. :P I've given them cute names and they always get laughed at. -_-Actually, I play this game at college and all the guys in my class think it's REALLY STUPID that I've made references to the course we're on xD

Cute names are awesome! I have a Pichu called Queenie in Pearl =3

And, um, a Clefairy called Derek.

menace64
April 5th, 2008, 11:57 PM
I've only ever given one nickname: my starter Charmander was known throughout the land of Kanto as DA BURNING.

Feuer
April 6th, 2008, 01:39 AM
At one stage I was nicknaming my Emerald pokemon and my character was a girl (no, I'm not GAY!!!) but I changed them back to their original names. I just keep them the same because if everI trade them, the person receiving the pokemon may not like the name or might find it offensive in their language. hehe, turkish swearing names are the best.

Cyberboy
April 6th, 2008, 02:38 AM
I only nickname the ones that I am going to use, like my ingame team, or that ones that I EV train.

solopy567
April 6th, 2008, 07:12 AM
I never nickname my pokemon, because i dont really like nicknames anyway.
The only nicknames i have are those from those in-game trades

Combee
April 6th, 2008, 08:46 AM
I never nickname my pokemon, because i dont really like nicknames anyway.
The only nicknames i have are those from those in-game trades
I find it annoying if you've traded and the pokemon has a nickname because usually I don't like the nickname it has and then you can't change it. D:

Shiny Umbreon
April 6th, 2008, 01:10 PM
Not specifically about D/P, so Pokémon General is better.

-MOVED-

IgnorantUser
April 6th, 2008, 01:25 PM
I nickname every single one of my pokemon. EVERY SINGLE ONE. The only exception being when I'm breeding, I don't nickname the babies unless they're the nature I'm looking for.

My main team (at the moment, anyway) is:

Slowbro - Monday
Mismagius - Riddle
Weavile - Vanya
Flygon - Saskia
Honchcrow - Jaqoutte
Armaldo - Waldo

And I nicknamed my starter, Piplup, Alfred. I also have a couple of traditional nicknames that I've kept since I've first started playing pokemon, such as always naming my Pikachus Bolten, my Spearows/Pidgeys Falkor, ect.

Yeah, because I'm always nicknaming things I usually have to ask people I'm trading with whether they want me to change the name of the pokemon they're receiving, haha.

Berlitz
April 6th, 2008, 01:42 PM
I nickname EVERY pokemon I have in EVERY version.No exception,no reused nicknames in the same version,I always try to be original. I simply can't afford to leave them just as they are. It's so not cool and usual. All of them have exotic nicknames (okay,Anne and Beatrix are not exotic,but you get the point.)

It helps me care for them. :/ I treat everyone with care and love. They're unique for me.

I never hack,I don't know or don't care about EV and IV train, and I don't care about natures. :/ (Expect for Milotics). It's just my way. I catch them all,complete the pokedex,but always win with my favourites. I used to go to Karen's phisolophy and still belive in it.

"Weak pokemon,strong pokemon. This is onily the selfish perception of people.True trainers should win with their favourites."

Yours pokeresolved,(WTH?)

Miss Berlitz.<3

Bulbasaurs Trainer
April 6th, 2008, 03:41 PM
No I Never Nickname Its better To Leave Its Orginoal Game

TurtleKing
April 6th, 2008, 03:50 PM
Don't nicknames help a Pokemon grow faster? I heard that somewhere...in a GSC I think. It makes them happier or somethin'.

Bug_Master
April 6th, 2008, 03:56 PM
Actually, I play this game at college and all the guys in my class think it's REALLY STUPID that I've made references to the course we're on xD

Cute names are awesome! I have a Pichu called Queenie in Pearl =3

And, um, a Clefairy called Derek.

Nothing wrong with being a college age pokemon player. ;)

I dont care how old I get Ill still be playing.

So, I use to nickname all the time, now its too time consuming if I do because I have to come up with really good names if I do so!

Apathetic_Yen
April 6th, 2008, 05:58 PM
I nickname mine just to be obnoxious.

Tater Tot
April 7th, 2008, 06:08 AM
No nicknames, nicknames are tacky, and not needed.
That's the name of the Pokemon, keep it's name.

austin00081
April 7th, 2008, 06:41 AM
I nickname because
1. It's more fun
2. I feel connected with my pokemon
3. Gives me that feeling of difference and uniqueness
4. I think of it like this, would you call you dog by it's breed name? "Come here Black Lab!"
No. Also the ALL CAPS NAMES annoy me to death.

my nicknamed team
Torterra - Kai (my German name, pronounced K-EYE)
Milotic - Chihiro (from Spirited Away)
Flygon - Yuusie (part of a song title from Floppy, pronounced YOU-SEE)
Ivysaur - Ivy (obvious)
Espeon - Appa (from Avatar, pronounced AH-PA)
Quilava - Yossui (member from Morning Musume, pronounced YO-SWEE)

I name every pokemon I can get to.

Lynnx
April 7th, 2008, 06:41 AM
I always nickname my pokemon because I get quite sentimentally attached to them. It's a cutesey thing for me.

Yellowstorm
April 7th, 2008, 10:43 AM
I always nickname my Pokemon.

IgnorantUser
April 7th, 2008, 10:59 AM
Just an observation, but judging from the responses it seems like more females like nicknaming their pokemon than males.

I wonder why?

Combee
April 7th, 2008, 11:27 AM
Just an observation, but judging from the responses it seems like more females like nicknaming their pokemon than males.

I wonder why?

:P Me too, I guess it's because girls are more caring and loving and actually care about their pokemon not about how many games they've won.

FourFourTwo
April 7th, 2008, 11:29 AM
I only have 2 nicknames:

Umbreon - Chaos (for various reasons... people hate it)
Breloom - IWILLPWNU ... yes. He will pwn you.

Kaguya
April 7th, 2008, 02:54 PM
I used to nickname my Pokemon, but in Diamond I decided not to so I could learn their names. After I'm more comfortable, I may nickname some. :)

Da Kid J3
April 7th, 2008, 02:55 PM
i love my pokemon names the way they are i could never give any of them a nickname.

BassFace
April 9th, 2008, 06:42 PM
I nickname my Pokemon a lot more than I used to. In my Pearl version, I nicknamed every Pokemon on my main team:

Empoleon - Azuria (from "azure")
Luxray - Raye (from "ray")
Rapidash - Fiora (derived from "fire")
Bronzong - Iore (short for "iron ore")
Drifblim - Ciela (from the French word for "sky"... and I know the fairy character from LoZ: PH has the same name...)
Roselia - Botane (from "botany")

In my earliest game files, I remember naming my Pokemon after food. Later on, I only gave nicknames to certain Pokemon. My starter has never gotten a nickname until the Pearl version.

yOur.smelly
April 9th, 2008, 11:16 PM
NAH i dOnt nik name my pokemon i like the names they already have COOL! yay :)

CartoonJunkie
April 10th, 2008, 05:50 AM
I only nickname pokemon if I plan on using them a lot or if I just have a good name idea for them. Most of mine have pretty dumb names because they amuse me.

Just to name a few off the top of my head:
Pickles - Empoleon (named after Pickles the drummer)
Shocker - Luxray (named after the hand gesture)
Zazz - Kadabra (another Metalocalypse thing)
Batley - Zubat (Eureka's castle)
Pecker - Staravia
Stabitha - Skarmory
Atlas - Shiny Machop
Norbert and Daggett - Bidoof and bibarel
*Sparkles* - Dialga

Fire Eagle 2010
April 10th, 2008, 04:10 PM
When I get a nintendo ds and a game, I won't prefer nicknames because it will take up time just on figuring out a nickname for a poke'mon.

Tsugaru
April 11th, 2008, 09:09 AM
I've never given my Pokemon nicknames, the only ones that I have with nicknames are from the GTS or trading. I don't see the point. xP

CartoonJunkie
April 11th, 2008, 01:13 PM
I've never given my Pokemon nicknames, the only ones that I have with nicknames are from the GTS or trading. I don't see the point. xP

To me, unless there is only one in the game, nicknames help distinguish them. Plus, IMO naming a piplup Piplup is like naming a dog Dog.

Ninetales
April 11th, 2008, 03:23 PM
Atleast people don't laugh at the nicknames you give your pokemon. :P I've given them cute names and they always get laughed at. -_-

Come to think of it, someone once teased me for nicknaming my Swampert "Skippy"...

I always nickname my Pokemon--it's just so fun! I often ending up nicknaming my Pokemon after various fictional characters, or after real people's names that kind of make sense with their characteristics (i.e. Drapion = Claudia, Bibarel = Beatrice, Azumarill = Bob). The last time I chose to not nickname a Pokemon was way back when I first got Yellow.

I hate it when I get non-nicknamed Pokemon in trades... because then I can't give them nicknames.

Hmm, my Pearl team's nicknames are:

Empoleon: Ukio (character from Samurai 7)
Purugly: Minerva (character from Harry Potter)
Luxray: Scar (character from Lion King)
Roserade: Pierre (a French name is appropriate, since if you look at it from the top, its flowers look like the French flag...)
Mismagius: Ishandra (in some language or another, it means "to cast", as in a spell)
Vespiquen: Regina (Italian--I think--for queen)

BakingBluePotatoe
April 11th, 2008, 03:43 PM
my friend had a Flareon named Daron o_O
I wonder where he got that?

I LOVE to nickname my Pokemon. when I can think of one X<
I don't nicknames legends though... I just think it's "disrespectful" for some reason o_O
Although, I met this one girl who even nicknamed legends O_O

Sometimes, when I'm gonna trade, I force the person to nickname the poke x3 (like I made this one guy get me a female Munchlax and name it MR.Munchy 3)

The Fallen
April 11th, 2008, 08:46 PM
No, not really. I mean I have done so before, but they were either inappropriate names (haha), or numbers for some reason.

Zorua
April 11th, 2008, 10:05 PM
It really depends on whether I actually feel like nicknaming my Pokemon or not. Usually, I do in fact nickname them, but in other cases I just put 'em in lowercase.

CartoonJunkie
April 11th, 2008, 10:44 PM
I don't nicknames legends though... I just think it's "disrespectful" for some reason o_O

I named my Dialga Sparkles. :)

firepokemon
April 12th, 2008, 02:35 AM
I haven't played pokemon for years but I never gave my pokemon nicknames then and I wouldn't now. Nicknames are great and all if thats what you're into but I typically like pokemon names already and choose pokemon that I really like, like Charizard and Butterfree and beautiful pokemon like that. I just love Butterfree could I imagine giving that name a pokemon? Absolutely not, it would be dreadful.

I'm also glad that on the pokemon anime front most trainers don't give their pokemon nicknames except for Richie but he was a bit gay.

AJ_wishmaker
April 14th, 2008, 02:47 AM
I do for my competitive battles it can be funny at times
I got tricked once with an Azumarill called Buneary
I think you need to send out a Wailord called Diglett xD huge difference in size

Berlitz
May 4th, 2008, 11:04 AM
Boys are less cute and want to show more manliness so nicknaming isn't fit to them.

Stereotypes. Sigh.

Yours so i'mnotdoing this part anymore,

Miss Berlitz. ~

Decypher
May 4th, 2008, 11:20 AM
I nickname my Pokemon, mainly because it annoys me how there name is always written in capitals, but its also because it can sometimes be fun, thinking up a nickname for a Pokemon.

Iron Shaman
May 4th, 2008, 11:27 AM
Nicknames are fun, and I usually assign names to certain pokémon sets in memory of them.

DragonFir3
May 4th, 2008, 11:48 AM
I'm giving most of my pokemon nicknames, but not some stupid ones, mainly because nicknames often sound cool.
My Palkia is nicknamed "Universum", Typloshion "thaErupt", Garchomp "Sharks", Gyarados "thaRampage", Skarmory "SkyArmor", Metagross "Tank", Gliscor "Batman", Heracross "Herminat0r", etc. So my opinion is, that it's cool to nickname your pokemon.

Acrutheo
May 4th, 2008, 10:20 PM
Occasionally I'll nickname my pokemon, usually according to what I see their function for me to be. For example, I named my Golduck "PASSER", as it was an HM Slave who would help me pass through obstacles (such as big boulders).

Toblerone
May 4th, 2008, 10:51 PM
My Pokémon have ridiculous nicknames. for example, i recently called a Smeargle "Smeargy". I have no idea why.

sirboulevard
May 4th, 2008, 11:26 PM
I don't "officially" nickname my pokes, mainly because my party is imported through Pal Park and other people find 'em irritating. So here they are:
My Standard Team:
Typhlosion: Ty or Tyler
Dragonair: no nickname
Ampharos: Amphy in honor of GSC
Lapras: none
Scizor: Sci
Umbreon: Umbre
Other Nicknamed:
Gardevoir: Caroline and Gallade: Garvin (both are each other mate i breed them together)
Arcanine: Rex (originally because i felt it was a good name for a dog, but now after my friend w/ that name)

Phanima
May 5th, 2008, 01:02 AM
I used to never nickname my Pokemon, they were all the same to me, plus it was easier to keep track of them by just remembering what species they were. Lately however, I've gotten into the habit of given them names, cause each of my Pokemon are special. :3 Of course, I've cut down on the amount of Pokemon I catch since it's easier to do so, but I think having favourites is a lot better than collecting them relentlessly.

Snivi
May 5th, 2008, 01:06 AM
Its been a while since I played. I never did give them names though.

Peanutassailant
May 5th, 2008, 01:18 AM
i sometimes nickname them, if i can think of a decent name.

i wanted to nickname my snorlax "speedy" but i couldnt because i got it from a trade :(

i also like nicknaming all the pokemon the wrong names, eg nicknaming a torchic "mudkip", or even better, doing something like calling a swampert "Groudon" lol xD

Pineapi
May 5th, 2008, 02:00 AM
I used to never nickname but I am this time around, if I can think of anything worth while anyway. Plus if I'm not planning on having them on my party I usually don't bother.

MUSION
May 7th, 2008, 10:15 AM
I rarely nickname my Pokemon.

Lackey
May 7th, 2008, 10:53 AM
Always, it makes them special to me! I used to give them just simple names, like Pidge for a Pidgeot, Toge for Togetic, and so on, but now I put more thought into them.

Usually only Pokemon I plan to actually use will get very special names though. Some will be named after favourite characters of mine, or something special to me in real life, just a few examples. My Luxray in Diamond is named Audrey, named after a very precious cat I once had named Aubrey. In the same game I have a Lucario named after an old good friend of mine I never see anymore.

Often Pokemon I never use will get very strange nicknames. Pokobowl is one that comes to mind. I think I was a bit crazy that day.

Valarauca
May 7th, 2008, 12:15 PM
Don't let them know what is comming, random names spelled in Runyk.. ha-ha!

Rhyperior--- Dryll
Whiscash--- ghytyo (fish, pm if you don't get it_
Blazican----- flame (well)

Archayos
May 7th, 2008, 09:49 PM
I nickname all my stupid pokemon. Like:

Shroomish (sp?): Underwear.
Magikarp: Fishface.
Psyduck: Lol
Jigglypuff - Candyfloss.

And so on.

ErickaVolt
May 7th, 2008, 09:54 PM
No. I don't like nicknames though you can get high experience. I'm contented with the precious names.

Cid
May 7th, 2008, 09:57 PM
In true Pokemon RPG's (e.g. Diamon and Pearl), I rarely nickname them. Though I feel like nicknaming them sometimes, especially HM Slaves. I usually nickname HM Slaves just for fun...

I also nickname them in PMD 1 and 2 because I would be the only Pokemon who has a funny name...

The Beast
May 8th, 2008, 10:48 AM
Well it's really complicated by nicknaming poke'mon but I usually nickname HM slaves.

Neosplash
May 8th, 2008, 12:22 PM
I give my pokemon random nicknames. Most times I'll just ask "What should I name it?".
I have a
Sudowoodo named What?
Butterfree named chair
I also always name my starter Neosplash.

solovino
October 8th, 2008, 03:19 PM
I never nickname my starters.

As of other Pokémon, I always nickname my master quintet, the Pokémon I use more often and that I try to preserve from game to game (such as Nidorino, Quilava, etc). Any other pokémon I won't nickname.

Bludycomicsinc
October 8th, 2008, 03:54 PM
Yes. I nickname my pokemon because it gives the game some extra fun.I always name my starter bludycomic(there was no room for the rest of my nickname).I also try to get creative with my nicknames.

Aegis
October 8th, 2008, 04:12 PM
This thread hasn't been posted in since May, that's well over the one month revival limit. Make sure to check the time a thread was last posted in before posting yourself.

-Locked-