PDA

View Full Version : Which 2D game maker is the best?

Razer Rage
April 6th, 2008, 06:45 PM
Here is a list of several different 2D Game Makers for you to check out. They are all worth trying, you should see which one you like best!

1.) RPG Maker XP/VX - Some of you may not know this, but enterbrain recently released a new version of RPG Maker, RPG Maker VX. But that's just it. It's new, it doesn't have any resources or dev kits for it yet. The thing is, RM VX is completely incompatible with RM XP, so anything that worked for XP, will not work for VX. So which would you recommend? The newer, more powerful/flexible VX? Or the older XP, which has more resources and documents? Both feature a point and click interface, and both feature a built in scripting language. Although VX has updated versions from XP. There's another snag. The fact that both versions require you to purchase a $60 license. RPG Maker, is without a doubt, the largest and most expensive 2D game maker there is. But does that make it the best?

URL's: RPG Maker XP - http://tkool.jp/products/rpgxp/eng/index.html (http://tkool.jp/products/rpgxp/eng/) | RPG Maker VX - http://www.tkool.jp/products/rpgvx/eng/index.html (http://www.rpgmakervx.com/)

2.) Sphere - Sphere is a RPG engine, in development since 1997. It allows you even if you don’t have much programming experience make a RPG game like Final Fantasy VI or Phantasy Star. Sphere provides a graphics rendering system that supports 32-bit color. Sphere uses SpiderMonkey (Mozilla's JavaScript implementation) for scripting. JavaScript is a very powerful, easy, and flexible language. Sphere also seems to be popular for people making hacks of ROM's.

URL: Sphere - http://sphere.sourceforge.net/index.php

3.) Game Maker - Game Maker also boasts a point and click interface and a built in programming language like RPG Maker. However, it does not limit itself to only RPG games, or even 2D games, but it can also make 3D games. Also, unlike RPG Maker, you are not required to make a purchase to fully use it. However, the makers of Game Maker offer a "Professional" edition, that offers more features and better functionality then the "lite" edition. It costs $20, only a third of what RPG Maker does.

URL: Game Maker - http://www.yoyogames.com/gamemaker/

4.) 001 Action / RPG Maker - 001 Action / RPG Maker, also known as Map001, is a new program, so it isn't as well known as RPG Maker or Game Maker. Map001 features a point and click interface, however I am unsure if it offers a built in programming language. As you might have guessed, it's main purpose is to create RPG/Action based games, so you can create anything from a final fantasy hack, to a traditional shoot-em-up game. Map001 is free, although it isn't open source as far as I can tell.

URL: 001 Action / RPG Maker - http://www.engine001.com/

5.) Novashell Game Creation System - Novashell, like Map001, specializes in RPG/Action based games, however, it also supports other game platforms, like racing, shooter, etc. It's also built to allow easy sharing of games you make and modding of them. I think it uses a point and click interface. Everything is cut and pastable and can be added or removed, even during play. It is a free program, and it does not feature a built in scripting language, rather, it has something much better. The one thing that defines Novashell from the other game makers here is that it is open source. The source is in C++, and can be downloaded, along with other tools, on the Novashell website. However, working with the open source appears to be tricky, and it will certainly be more difficult to work with then simply using a built in coding language. However, the level of customability is unparalleled, and the results can be very rewarding.

URL: Novashell Game Creation System - http://www.rtsoft.com/novashell/

6.) RPG Toolkit - I found another 2D game maker, RPG Toolkit. The RPG Toolkit is free, open source, and has it's own programming language. It uses a point and click interface, and it allows for ultimate customability! RPG Toolkit has the potential to be more powerful and easier to use then any other game maker, so it's definitely worth trying!

URL: RPG Toolkit - http://www.toolkitzone.com/index.php

There. I have shown you all of the 2D game makers that I have deemed worth listing. Try them all, and see which one you like the best. Feedback is greatly appreciated, tell me whether I should add another game engine, change a description, or whatever.

Thanks! :)

~Razer Rage

Tentacruel13
April 8th, 2008, 03:59 PM
Game Maker! It has so many possibilities you could make any game you want!

Razer Rage
April 8th, 2008, 05:05 PM
Really? I have yet to decide which one I like best, I've still got to use these programs more. I think I'll be liking one of the open source ones though, simply because you can customize it any which way. :)

Virtual Chatot
April 8th, 2008, 05:08 PM
It would have to be RMXP or Sphere for me, I can't decide.

:S

Razer Rage
April 8th, 2008, 05:43 PM
That's interesting. I know a bit about RMXP, but not Sphere. :(

But I DO know that if you like RMXP, then you'll LOVE RMVX, it's definitely an upgrade to XP. :)

蜃気楼
April 15th, 2008, 07:25 PM
i want to make a 3D game(I cancelled my RMXP Pokemon project and moved to 3D Visual C++ project)
RMXP games doesnt look professional and not compatible with some systems(mine was crashed on Vista)
A free engine is better.

Neo-Dragon
April 16th, 2008, 12:34 AM
I'm going for one that isnt listed.
And thats RPG Maker 2003.
Alot of people still prefare this to the other makers in the RPGMAKER series.
I'm one of them.
I've made all my projects with it, just like at my latest- Pokemon Proectors to see what you can do with it.
I've been using it for about 4/5 years now (since the english patched version came out) and when you know what you can and cant do, its one of the best to work with. With more point and click options then both RMXP and RMVX- it helps people who are starting off with it better.

Razer Rage
April 21st, 2008, 09:44 AM
That is even MORE interesting. I understand about the bit of being used to the older version, but...don't you think it's about time to upgrade?

I mean, does RM2003 even have a scripting language, or anything?

O.G. Duke
April 22nd, 2008, 01:06 AM
rm2k3 dont support scripting language.
Instead you can make your game just using the FLEXIBLE event command.
Those command just look simple and fixed.
But if you really great with it, you can do anything you want include Pokemon Battle System.
Pokemon Protector was the proof.

Anyway, I would choose RMXP since it dont require much scripting and its more easier to use for beginner to make a RPG.
Plus Pokemon Essential was a great starter kit for RMXP users.
So it is possible to make a good Pokemon game in RMXP.
Pokemon Raptor was the proof. XD ! ( Just kidding )

Rhuan
April 25th, 2008, 04:30 PM
2.) Sphere - Sphere is a RPG engine, in development since 1997. It allows you even if you don’t have much programming experience make a RPG game like Final Fantasy VI or Phantasy Star. Sphere provides a graphics rendering system that supports 32-bit color. Sphere uses SpiderMonkey (Mozilla's JavaScript implementation) for scripting. JavaScript is a very powerful, easy, and flexible language. Sphere also seems to be popular for people making hacks of ROM's.Sphere can't be used to hack roms...

The best site for sphere stuff is spheredev.org don't bother with the sourceforge page.

One big advantage of sphere is that as well as Windows it runs on linux and recently Mac OSX as well. (Currently no editor available for Mac)

Sphere does throw you in at the deep end, you're basically presented with an empty text box to start scripting, but if you can get over the shock, most 2d game related ideas are relatively simple too pull off, (if you can make/find the graphics) and you can even do some 3d stuff, there's basically no limit to it's flexibility.

Far and away the best maker in the list, if you don't mind actually having to think about what you're doing.

DaSpirit
May 1st, 2008, 04:53 PM
Game Maker is the way to go for a really good Pokemon game. It's a really flexible program and it can pretty much do anything. Although a good program, it takes months or more time to learn how to program well enough to make any RPG game. I am actually in progress of making a Pokemon game in Game Maker but the thing I'm concerned about is how big the size will be in the end.

Lordpenguin
May 2nd, 2008, 06:15 AM
Seriously, the best way to get exactly what you want in a game is just to code it from scratch. If you can write scripts for RMXP or whatever, you can learn C++, Java, or Python.

Razer Rage
May 7th, 2008, 04:47 PM
To true that. But the fact is, those can take a very long time compared to a game engine. I would rather use like-c because it's easier to use and it requires less code then C++.

Hmm...some great feedback here, I'll get started on something soon.

HeavyOctillery
May 7th, 2008, 08:51 PM
Huh, I didn't realize that RmXP & RmVX are possibly not worth the money.....maybe that's punishment for other people illegally hacking & distributing Rm2k/3 - which is kinda' their fault because of not releasing it to the rest of the world in the first place; anyone - including me - with Rm2k/3 on their comp is a testament to that.

Wichu
May 8th, 2008, 12:29 AM
Yeah, but RM2K/3 doesn't have RGSS scripting. RMXP/VX is better (IMO) than 2K/3 just because of that one feature.

D-puff
May 9th, 2008, 03:00 AM
Ive been using game maker for years, so im definetly gonna go with that as my fav. Its complicated for a beginer (lol my friend), but when you know the code (or actions, if you prefer), you can do almost anything with it; even 3d.

Waudby
May 9th, 2008, 01:09 PM
I'm saying sphere for the simple fact thatI enjoy using it and getting the end result, no one has sat there and made a starter pack for it so everything you make is custom.

It gives you a good sense of achievement when you do it urself.

While I admire poccil for creating his system I do believe the amount of poorly made games has increased due to the starter kit.

Wichu
May 10th, 2008, 12:41 AM
I suppose it does feel better to make everything yourself. But it's not called a starter kit for nothing - the games which make no additions to the scripts are (usually) doomed to fail. After writing a short script to save every script to one file, the Essentials kit has 64715 lines of scripts, while Amethyst (at the time of writing) has 70268 lines. That's 5553 lines of scripts I've added, and it doesn't include changes within lines. I did this to show that just because I'm using a starter kit, doesn't mean I can't add my own scripts. But each to their own, I suppose.

Anyway, I've decided that if I make another game after finishing Amethyst, I'm going to script my own battle system etc.

Oh, and poccil, if you read this, I'd just like to say thanks for bothering to write 50000+ lines of custom scripts ( o.O ), and releasing them to the public.

Waudby
May 11th, 2008, 06:17 AM
That's an impressive amount of scripting in the starter kit, Pokemon Odyssey as of writing this is perhaps about 60 000 lines.

That's without the fully fledged A.I and the weather system pokemon breeding, email system. etc etc.

It's at a basic stage at the moment so I expect to be about doubled when I finish, maybe more.

Razer Rage
May 11th, 2008, 09:11 AM
Interesting. I suppose it really depends on what you start out with.

I've played around with RMVX and Game Maker, and I like both of them. RM, because it's default graphics are so good, it's very easy to use, and it's scripting language isn't too bad either.

Game Maker I like because scripting with it is so easy, once you get used to it. For those who are new to GM, use the tutorials that the creators include with it. Very easy to understand, I wish RPG Maker had that.

I haven't gotten started on Sphere yet...

I've noticed that no one has opted for the open source game engines, why is that? They all have the potential to be more powerful than RMVX or GM.

Waudby
May 11th, 2008, 09:31 AM
I haven't gotten started on Sphere yet...

I've noticed that no one has opted for the open source game engines, why is that? They all have the potential to be more powerful than RMVX or GM.

Sphere is an open source engine which you can fiddle about with.

It is still being maintain with updates to the engine being released every so often.

Getting started in Sphere isn't easy, it's quite a daunting task, but us lot on the spherical forums are friendly when it comes to helping out.

You should sign up and ask away.

Razer Rage
May 13th, 2008, 08:48 AM
Whoa. That sounds dangerously close to an advertisement to me. ;)

I'll look into it. Thanks.

mackoo
May 20th, 2008, 04:00 AM
Well, I've just started trying to learn something in Sphere, I know its difficult to start in Sphere, but I will try. The bad thing is that I cant find any usefull begginers tutorials. I've searched, but there are things how to do a Battle System etc. I've also used help function in program, but it doesn't tell me what I've need. Can someone tell point by point how to use Captain Arcane tilesets from Resources to make map with them, like import them good etc. I've tried to make them spritesheet but by the way, I couln't do it good. Please help ;) .

jonsploder
May 23rd, 2008, 11:32 PM
GameMaker is the best choice for people that want to do things that every other program you mentioned there can't. You can do online games, 3D games and everything unimaginable in RPGMaker. It is rather hard in comparison however to RPGMaker/s, as they are basic all easy maps and events. In GameMaker it revolves around coding for anything decent. However GM is much easier than languages like C++ etc... And while it can deliver the same program usually, C++/Java, it doesn't have that flexiblity that you need sometimes. It will same you much more time though, and is a great starting point.

So there you have it, its a program for in between "complicated" languages and "easy" tools like RPGMaker. I prefer it as it saves much time, with amazing flexibilty and is very easy to understand.

Waudby
May 24th, 2008, 10:11 AM
GameMaker is the best choice for people that want to do things that every other program you mentioned there can't. You can do online games, 3D games and everything unimaginable in RPGMaker. It is rather hard in comparison however to RPGMaker/s, as they are basic all easy maps and events. In GameMaker it revolves around coding for anything decent. However GM is much easier than languages like C++ etc... And while it can deliver the same program usually, C++/Java, it doesn't have that flexiblity that you need sometimes. It will same you much more time though, and is a great starting point.

So there you have it, its a program for in between "complicated" languages and "easy" tools like RPGMaker. I prefer it as it saves much time, with amazing flexibilty and is very easy to understand.

Well, that being said, in sphere I have scripted a batch image editor, which allows me to manipulate as many images as I see fit and save them all at once, it has saved me a hell of alot of time.

I've also started working on the online stuff, and Sphere did(not sure if it does now) have simple 3d functions too.

If you did want a good leg up into the world of programming I do advise to go with Sphere for the simple fact that it uses javascript to code and it's obviously alot more documented.

It is practically possible to make any sort of game in sphere to, from platformers through to rpg's or point and click adventures.

Razer Rage
May 31st, 2008, 10:12 AM
Interesting how Sphere is so popular here. I will definitely try it out and see what I think. But still, this isn't just for me. Other people want to know what 2D game engines out there are best. If there is a 2D engine that you know of and/or like, then post here about it, and I'll add it to the list. I should start a poll too...

spike6958
May 31st, 2008, 01:15 PM
Stencyl is going to be the best gamemaker ever it's Free, everything is point and click and you can make any type of game in it, Platformer/Shooter/RPG/Tactics/ect.. and you can mix the types, and no programing is necessary.

EDIT: Here's a link for all interested: http://www.stencyl.com/about/

Prof. Briar
May 31st, 2008, 01:31 PM
Personally, my favorite 2D engine has always been RPG Toolkit. It's probably the most versatile free engine out right now and comes with a commercial use license that you don't even need to pay for. It has a lot of great features, it's open source, supports plugins, and it's super easy to use...it even comes with some of the most useful help files I've seen. Totally my favorite engine ever.

LegosJedi
June 1st, 2008, 03:53 AM
I always used to use RPG Maker 2k3/XP, but since I don't have Windows anymore, I have to find one that runs on Mac. From the list given, novashell is the only one, but it looks kinda..... complicated. I'll try messing around with it some more.

peblairman
June 1st, 2008, 04:57 AM
although RMXP does not work on vista and is much more difficult to use.

Chaos Rush
June 1st, 2008, 07:20 PM
I'm using Game Maker 6.1 Registered (Pro Edition), and its pretty good. The scripting language is wonderful, its so powerful that you can just about do anything with it if you know how to use GML. Right now I'm making a Sonic fangame called, "Sonic Revival" with it. Game Maker can easily make games that also run at the perfect 60 FPS frame rate. The programming language is so powerful that you can just about do anything with it. The only thing you can't do with Game Maker is that you can't change the palette of a sprite, and you can't really create decent 3D graphics. But in my opinion, its the perfect program for 2D Platformers, and 2D RPGs.

Unfortunately, not much people here are into Sonic The Hedgehog. I'm thinking of starting to work on a Pokemon engine, although it would be heavily influenced by Super Smash Bros., and the movement won't be grid movement like all Pokemon games.

Prof. Briar
June 2nd, 2008, 09:44 AM
You use Game Maker? I wouldn't touch that if I was paid to...well maybe if I was paid to. Still, you must not have read your license agreement very carefully if you're still under the impression that you are actually allowed to make games with it. You can't legally use any sounds, sprites, etc...that you didn't make yourself, you aren't allowed to produce any material that might offend someone in any way, you aren't allowed to make fangames either (use of someone else's intellectual property). Basically, Game Maker has one of the most fascist licenses ever known and ownership of said software does not imply any permission to make any games, real or imagined, at any time.

Razer Rage
June 2nd, 2008, 09:51 AM
I've used GM, and it has some pretty nice tutorials for it. No, I have not read the license, but I doubt it is that restrictive. Care to show a quote of it?

I've head of Styncyl before...I'll look into it, thanks. :)

Chaos Rush
June 2nd, 2008, 02:14 PM
I've seen MILLIONS of fangames made with Game Maker. In fact, from what I've seen other than at the Game Maker Community, Game Maker is used to make fangames the most. You see, that rule of fangaming was illegal never really came until Game Maker's new company turned into YoYoGames, and with the release of Game Maker 7. I am still using Game Maker 6.1, and it is not licensed by YoYoGames, so technically I can make fangames if I wanted (Which I am, I'm making a Sonic fangame).

Razer Rage
June 9th, 2008, 05:24 PM
Way to get around the law! XD

Really, that's stupid then. I always have wondered why hardly anyone used the latest version of GM, and now I know why. The retards, I'll use Sphere. :) I want something that is open-source anyway, it has the potential to be much more powerful than anything else available.

GymLeaderLance99
June 9th, 2008, 06:38 PM
I'm going for one that isnt listed.
And thats RPG Maker 2003.
Alot of people still prefare this to the other makers in the RPGMAKER series.
I'm one of them.
I've made all my projects with it, just like at my latest- Pokemon Proectors to see what you can do with it.
I've been using it for about 4/5 years now (since the english patched version came out) and when you know what you can and cant do, its one of the best to work with. With more point and click options then both RMXP and RMVX- it helps people who are starting off with it better.
And I thought I was the only one. XD I've never really cared for RMXP, and I sorta get a bit irritated that more resources are made for RMXP than for RM2000/3. I've stuck with RM2003 this far, and I don't plan on changing my mind anytime soon.

BTW, for anyone who's reading this, GlitterGold should be making a comeback this summer. With any luck.

Razer Rage
June 11th, 2008, 04:52 PM
Wow. That lime text kinda hurts my eyes. Hmm, a second opinion for RM2003...would you mind posting a link to it? It's something I would like to look into.

I have used RMVX, and I have found it to my liking, as it is simple enough to use, although I wish that the makers would make tuts like they did for GM. Especially for the scripting bit.

I doubt I'll actually use RM2003 to make any games, seeing as it doesn't offer much in the ways of customizing the program itself (not open source/no scripting language).

So yeah. Half a mind towards RMVX, half towards Sphere, although I have yet to use it. I might consider the old version of GM, it's actually pretty easy to go with once you use the tuts.

GymLeaderLance99
June 14th, 2008, 09:17 AM
PM me, and I should be able to. But I'm fixing up the demo I recovered from the guy helping me in the game's CBS department, so... (BTW, since I'm using the Dialga skin, the lime text isn't that bad. Plus it's sorta my trademark. XD)

Razer Rage
June 18th, 2008, 07:05 PM
Hmm...I'll think about it, thanks. :)

Luke128th
June 21st, 2008, 10:25 AM
I've been using RMXP for while. I've tried GameMaker. Didn't work out for me the best way possible. I say RMXP. It may be a little hard to understand at first, but once you get the hang of it, the possibilities are endless(well almost :P).

Joey the Cockroach
June 21st, 2008, 11:33 AM
i would either say Game Maker 6.1 or Sphere, as i have used both before and both are pretty good, there are so many possibilities from it.

RMXPokemaniac
June 21st, 2008, 12:16 PM
Hm... I'm so tempted to say Stencyl... but it's not out to the public yet. :/

Of the ones listed, I must say that RPG Maker is like home to me, as I grew up with it before being introduced to Game Maker and Sphere. For the sake of this topic, I'll ignore the fact that RPG Makers are basically limited to RPGs for those who can't script/event like a god.

RPG Maker - This game maker has great ease of use, allowing even the most novice of users hop right in and make a game. The event system is far easier to use, though somewhat more limited, than Game Makers drag and drop object maker. The eventing system has taken somewhat of a downfall since XP, but it has risen a little again with VX. The mapping is extremely easy to use compared to Game Makers, with many tools resembling those you might find in MS Paint. The database is close to gold, but there are limitations which drag it down from the pedestal. Some of the database lists are limited to a certain number of entries. Finally, the scripting language, though restricted to those more "advanced" users of the maker, is easy enough to understand that even some more familiar with RPG Maker could make small alterations without having to learn RGSS.

Game Maker - More complex than RPG Maker, it has its goods and its bads. Though recommended for beginners, it does have a slightly (read: WAY) steeper learning curve than RPG Maker. The drag and drop object making system of Game Makers doesn't limit you. You are given many options, most, even, which can be applied to other objects. From some of the simplest game mechanics as movement and collision checking, to more system oriented commands such as taking screenshots and opening files, many average games can get by without the user ever needing to know GML. If the user ever needed to learn GML, however, it's more of a basic language than RGSS, and would be easier to learn. On to the mapping... Well, it certainly has more options than RPG Maker, but its ease of use is far lower(thankfully, you can make your maps in another program and import it as a background in GM. >:]). On the plus side, though, it supports infinite layers. Better than RPG Maker has ever done. -_-; The library is so-so, sometimes becoming annoying when you have many items in a single category. Thankfully, though, you can organize the library with folders... or groups... or whatever it was. Again, a big plus over RPG Makers database where unlimited entries is concerned.

All in all, if you're making an RPG, go with RPG Maker, if you're making any other game, go with Game Maker. (Until Stencyl is released. :D)

...I didn't evaluate Sphere or RPG Toolkit because I don't have too much experience with them. :|

Razer Rage
June 21st, 2008, 02:51 PM
Now that was a very helpful and informative post. How do you know what Stencyl is like if it isn't public? Are you a BETA tester? Are you allowed to tell us what features make it so uber?

RMXPokemaniac
June 21st, 2008, 03:18 PM
Yeah, I'm a tester. As for Stencyl being uber? Huh, well... I can't really go into detail like I did with those two, but I can tell you that it's like every other game maker except better. Not only is it the game builder itself, but a game hosting site where you can play peoples games online (for games made with Stencyl, obviously), a resource sharing site, integrated graphics and audio editors, and more...

And I don't really like having to say and more, either, but I have to. I'm not completely sure how vague I have to be to be safe. lol ._.

Oh yeah, they have a forum, too. You can go there if you wanna find out more.

Razer Rage
June 22nd, 2008, 07:50 PM
Sounds interesting. I definitely will check it out when it goes public. Do you think it will be better than Sphere? Will it be open source? What language is the source code in? Does it have a scripting language? What programming language is it based on?

RMXPokemaniac
June 22nd, 2008, 10:54 PM
Better than Sphere: Yes (but that's an opinion)
Open Source: http://forums.stencyl.com/showthread.php?tid=3344
Source Code Language: Java
Scripting Language: Yes, a customized Java with some features deemed unnecessary for game development stripped off. Interestingly, programmers can switch between a GUI mode (like MIT Scratch (http://scratch.mit.edu/about)) and a text mode (like if you were using Notepad++ (http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/uk/site.htm)).

Razer Rage
June 23rd, 2008, 06:59 AM
:D I know Java! But why Java? I know it's used for web dev and web based game, but wouldn't it be better to have made it in say, C++ or C#?

RMXPokemaniac
June 23rd, 2008, 10:30 AM
Eh, well, he had this huge rebuttal to everybody who thought Java was a poor choice.
http://forums.stencyl.com/showthread.php?tid=1260

Plus, Stencyl is for making web based games (although you can still make it an .exe for download), so why not? :D

Razer Rage
June 23rd, 2008, 04:28 PM
Well that's okay then. Will it be able to make MMO's? And what about making pokemon hacks?

RMXPokemaniac
June 23rd, 2008, 07:58 PM
MMOs? No. You could make the game, but you'd need to provide your own server.
Pokemon hacks? As in a Pokemon game? Yes. It can make any kind of 2D game.

Also, I'm beginning to feel that the topic has been slightly derailed. Ah well. ^_^

Razer Rage
June 24th, 2008, 08:16 AM
Not at all. This topic is for discussing different game makers, and you have caught my interest with it. I want this thread to be fore all game dev's here to help them decide which engine to use for their project.

Kine
June 26th, 2008, 02:01 PM
I've been told about Stencyl many months ago, and I'm still looking forward to it.

I mean, honestly, not everyone can be a programmer, just like not everyone can be an artist or a writer. I've tried programming, for YEARS. I don't think my grades ever gone above a C, and if I had a B as a final grade, it was a fluke. I just am not a computational person, no matter how you slice it. I have a lot of thought out, planned ideas (years in the making, design documents, everything) but it's still the coding that gets me, and I don't even pretend help is going to come my way (if I let the lack of help stop me, I'd never get anywhere in life), but I still appreciate it a lot when it does come.

That's why I enjoy the idea of Stencyl, perhaps I can dust off a few of those old ideas I had spent years working on to get the off the ground. If it really is for the program language dyslexic, it'll be right up my alley for sure.

THAT all being said, I'll still learn code for the sake of the game projects I am currently working on, because I still want to see them done, and determination is my greatest asset (and perhaps at times my biggest folly, in that I don't really know when to quit). So if it takes me another 5 years to learn a language to a usable degree, fair enough.

Currently, I was just recommended to Sphere for an RPG I'm working on. Fortunately, I know a small bit of Javascript considering the classes I took. Being mostly on the graphics side of things, I couldn't make use of RMXP because I'd need 8 direction pixel movement (easy enough find a source script), an most importantly, no limits set on the sprites (meaning I did not have to have four sprites per direction, if even a direction at all). Some characters only move in 3 frames, some 5 or more. And let's not even talk about cutscenes which would require a lot of sprites (being an animation major, I tend to make a whole lot of inbetween motion sprites, now you can't work with that with the default 4 sprite limit).

Sphere, so far, has given me the most flexability design wise short of Game Maker. Just in virtue of that, and the complete flexability (considering some sample games I've seen), on top of not being unfamiliar with JS, I'm going to see where that takes me. I'll still keep a lookout for Stencyl, though.

Senjistar
June 26th, 2008, 02:49 PM
Well I'm not too good with making games. I mainly work with sprites. I have a question though, could I make a 2-d brawler sorta arcade style with Game Maker?

Razer Rage
June 27th, 2008, 07:02 AM
You can make ANY type of game with GM. In fact, it issn't an RPG, then it is recommended that you use GM, until Stencyl comes out. ;)

Josh1billion
July 2nd, 2008, 12:04 PM
I recommend Game Maker.

It's the most flexible solution aside from actual programming, and it serves as a great entry into the concepts of programming (such as how drawing and ticks are done). If you delve into the advanced parts of Game Maker (i.e., GM's scripting language "GML"), you'll become even more familiar with programming fundamentals (such as C++ syntax). It's great as a stepping stone into C++ game programming.

Razer Rage
July 2nd, 2008, 07:24 PM
Too true that. I'm actually getting started with Visual Basic. Simple language to learn. I'm also going to be making an RPG in VB, when I learn it. :)

THE HACK ATTACK
July 3rd, 2008, 04:02 PM
HEY a forget the earlier versions of RPGMaker for those who have older computers

Razer Rage
July 13th, 2008, 08:36 AM
Um...that didn't make much sense, care to elaborate? XD

RMXPokemaniac
July 13th, 2008, 08:23 PM
RM95, Sim RM95, RM2K, and RM2K3.

Razer Rage
July 14th, 2008, 03:56 PM
Wait...didn't you already say that you liked Stencyl?

Aisu K.
July 14th, 2008, 04:22 PM
Well I'm not too good with making games. I mainly work with sprites. I have a question though, could I make a 2-d brawler sorta arcade style with Game Maker?

when I think of fighter games, I think of MUGEN. From what I understand, you can add fighters and stages, so you can pretty much make a fighter as you like it. I've played with it tho, and it seemed a bit tedious to do, but the end result is quite the lol

RMXPokemaniac
July 14th, 2008, 05:40 PM
Wait...didn't you already say that you liked Stencyl?I was elaborating for ROMHACKER. Those are the old RPG Makers, which you didn't list.

when I think of fighter games, I think of MUGEN. From what I understand, you can add fighters and stages, so you can pretty much make a fighter as you like it. I've played with it tho, and it seemed a bit tedious to do, but the end result is quite the lolYes, I've heard that it's very difficult to make your own fighter game in MUGEN. The only ones that I've seen didn't look that great, either... but I guess that would have been the makers fault, not MUGEN's.

Razer Rage
July 14th, 2008, 07:29 PM
Ah...I see. Well, RM2K and RM2K3 ought to work fine for those who don't have Windows XP. :S

I've never tried to make my own fighting game. I think I will try it sometime. Hey, RMXPokemaniac, are there any updates for Stencyl? Like a release date?

RMXPokemaniac
July 14th, 2008, 09:24 PM
Sadly, no. And their won't be any updates for a while. Stencyl is currently in "stealth mode." Apparently, it's a business tactic adopted by many start-ups. Basically, their's pretty much no new screenshots and other media or announcements of new features, etc., until Stencyl launches. More on that here (http://forums.stencyl.com/showthread.php?tid=4137). You can, however, find a nice guide to Stencyl here (http://forums.stencyl.com/showthread.php?tid=3251), and a nice FAQs section here (http://forums.stencyl.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=101).

Razer Rage
July 15th, 2008, 07:55 PM
Ah...oh well. I can wait though. I forget if I have asked already, but will Stencyl support 3D graphics as well?

RMXPokemaniac
July 15th, 2008, 09:38 PM
Not in the general sense. It will, however, support Psuedo-3D, such as Mode-7 (Super Mario Kart, Final Fantasy VI in airship) and Isometric (Final Fantasy Tactics, Sim City).

Razer Rage
July 17th, 2008, 01:38 PM
That's good. :) I look forward to its release.

cooluke21
July 20th, 2008, 12:42 PM
There all good game makers but i think that rpg maker is best

Kine
July 21st, 2008, 06:06 PM
Yes, I've heard that it's very difficult to make your own fighter game in MUGEN. The only ones that I've seen didn't look that great, either... but I guess that would have been the makers fault, not MUGEN's.

So, would Stencyl be any better complete with all the functions (intros, endings, a whole lot of animations for unnecessary reasons*, supers, ES, EX (the dramatic attacks), capability to work like later 90's Capcom Fighters, like Vampire Savior)? Because my only other project is a fighting game, and in wanting that Capcom authenticity, so far MUGEN's the only thing I've seen with such functions (besides hard coding, which again I cannot do).

If it can, I'll wait up, but otherwise I suppose I'll have to stick to the M. Also, did you play actual completed MUGEN games, or look at couple of hodgepodge character videos? I'm only wondering because I haven't really seen a fully created fighting game myself (in action), although I do know it's possible.

*You know, silly extra animations beyond the standard attacks and sequences. I'm all about that.

RMXPokemaniac
July 23rd, 2008, 04:27 PM
Well, seeing as how MUGEN is specialist software rather than generalist (fighter versus anything 2D), I'm not sure. It's like RPG Maker versus Stencyl, except I've tried RPG Maker before. You would think that it would be easier in MUGEN, but then, I haven't tried MUGEN, so I don't know. Anyways, if MUGEN is easier to use than Stencyl, just give Stencyl a month or two for somebody to make a fighter Kit, and Stencyl will be the champion (if the fighter Kit is any good, of course).

Also, just YouTube videos. I've never played a full MUGEN game either.

Kine
July 24th, 2008, 03:57 AM
Alright, cool. I probably won't be working on the game for years to come, anyway, so I can definately wait one of two months after Stencyl's release (assuming it gets released before then)!

evanescencelord
July 28th, 2008, 03:47 AM
Well i have downloaded all of them and i recommend RMXP cuz it was the easiest to use for me.

Razer Rage
August 2nd, 2008, 10:52 AM
Yes, I've found that the RPGMaker series was the easiest to use. But Game Maker, the creators have made some very good tuts for it. If only the makers of RPGMaker could do that.

Will there be 'official' tutorials for Stencyl?

RMXPokemaniac
August 2nd, 2008, 09:01 PM
Ooh. Good question. I can't seem to answer that one off the top of my head, or at least, I can't give you a definite answer, but I'm sure their will be. If we don't have official ones, I guess their are always the million or so user-created ones that cover specific issues. One of Stencyl's benefits over RPG Maker in this field would be that, like GM, it has an official forum. Rather than join a large handful of small forums, like many people have done, myself included, for RPG Maker, one would need only to register at a single site to unlock all the resources and support they need.

Razer Rage
August 11th, 2008, 03:03 PM
Sounds good. Let us know when they announce a release date eh? I would LOVE to review it. :)

Shikamaru88
August 13th, 2008, 09:33 PM
if you can code C++ then all these programs are good to use but Game maker & RMXP has its owl language wich makes things better and some times easier i first found GM and i liked some of the things i've seen with it but i wasnt too impressed then i stumbled across RPG03 n made me wanna learn to make games so for the last 2 years i've been learning C++ although not required i wanted to learn it Recently i found out about RUBY or RGSS and its alot cleaner and easier that C++ in my eyes but i definately would say RMXPbetter because GM and their community can be tough and like said in one of the posts before this you really no need to script anything but it helps make your game 10 times better but I am researching sphere and i will get back to you guys on this one cause i am looking to code a game from scratch

Charizard EX
August 15th, 2008, 12:57 AM
The bestest are The game factory and mutimedia fusion. www.clickteam.com

Razer Rage
August 15th, 2008, 09:23 PM
Looks pretty good. :) Still, I'm looking towards Stencyl. RMXPokemaniac, I have another question for you. The default tilesets and sprites for Stencyl...are they any good? Like RMXP or RMVX?

RMXPokemaniac
August 20th, 2008, 09:10 PM
Will they be good... well, that depends on if we get some really good sprite/tileset makers. ;D

As you can probably guess, we haven't made them yet. We test with copyrighted Nintendo graphics, but by the time we launch, you should have a basic array of platformer and possibly top-down (like RPG Maker) tiles. You probably shouldn't expect too much, though. Even if they're good, they'll be used so often that people will be sick of seeing them within a few weeks. Maybe. *shrugs*

Razer Rage
August 27th, 2008, 04:20 PM
Ah well. We will just wait and see then. I'm looking forward to its release. :)

Razer Rage
September 18th, 2008, 05:53 PM
Righto. Sorry about the double post, not sure if it is against the rules or not. I forget. Ooh, I have a good question for the public in general: What games have you made with the above mentioned game makers?

PokemonTrainer`
February 17th, 2010, 08:28 AM
Im currently using game maker its hard at first but youll get a hang of it im currently making a game called(pokemon trainer adventure) which is kinda cool but i dont know how to use the rest soo game maker its vary hard but only one i found out how to use hope this helped!

February 17th, 2010, 09:24 AM
Please don't revive old threads; Especially ones that are over a year old.