PDA

View Full Version : Manga vs Anime

VideoFan9864
April 7th, 2008, 05:13 PM
I understand that there was already a thread that states the possibilities of the pokemon adventures manga being turned into an anime. I thought it would be appropriate to separate this thread since there are a number of questions I have revolving as to why they HAD to make a new anime (the one today) instead of using the manga to begin with. Can I confirm a few things just to ask if I got my facts right?
1. For starters I believe that pokemon adventures was released months before the anime right?
2. Satoshi Tagiri said that the manga was according to him "exactly what I imagined the pokemon world to be and it is what I wanted to convey" or something like that.
3. I believe that Hidenori Kusaka wrote the manga right? did tajiri had an involvement on it or did kusaka just use the inspiration and got the authorization?

This leads me to the question, why did they make a new anime? After all if we are talking about losing profits from selling the manga, certain anime like pokemon and detective conan would not be that famous both in their anime and manga would they not? What do you guys think? The thought keeps haunting me and I can't accept it.

hoennshipperxxx
April 10th, 2008, 06:35 AM
I understand that there was already a thread that states the possibilities of the pokemon adventures manga being turned into an anime. I thought it would be appropriate to separate this thread since there are a number of questions I have revolving as to why they HAD to make a new anime (the one today) instead of using the manga to begin with. Can I confirm a few things just to ask if I got my facts right?
1. For starters I believe that pokemon adventures was released months before the anime right?
2. Satoshi Tagiri said that the manga was according to him "exactly what I imagined the pokemon world to be and it is what I wanted to convey" or something like that.
3. I believe that Hidenori Kusaka wrote the manga right? did tajiri had an involvement on it or did kusaka just use the inspiration and got the authorization?

This leads me to the question, why did they make a new anime? After all if we are talking about losing profits from selling the manga, certain anime like pokemon and detective conan would not be that famous both in their anime and manga would they not? What do you guys think? The thought keeps haunting me and I can't accept it.

hmmm... i think you're right.....

but i think that maybe they thought that the manga wouldn't be enough and that's why they made the anime... or the manga wasn't popular enough......

but you can ask the same question: why do they make movies out of books?
well... to make it all look better and put effects in it...
maybe THAT is the reason...

but maybe they thought that some guys wouldn't like to read comics and that they would prefer an anime, maybe THAT is the reason...

well i don't know these were just my thoughts...

fanh
April 10th, 2008, 06:50 AM
Hmm... I saw the anime before I read the manga, and I'm not sure which was out first though... But I think they made a new anime because of some reasons:

+ Some of the plots and stories from the manga are too complicated for little kids to understand.
+ There are some violence (blood and stuff) from the manga (Example: The part when Ruby chased the Salamence away)

Those are just my opinion, though =.= Anyway... the manga is wayyyy better than the anime 8D

hoennshipperxxx
April 10th, 2008, 06:55 AM
Hmm... I saw the anime before I read the manga, and I'm not sure which was out first though... But I think they made a new anime because of some reasons:

+ Some of the plots and stories from the manga are too complicated for little kids to understand.
+ There are some violence (blood and stuff) from the manga (Example: The part when Ruby chased the Salamence away)

Those are just my opinion, though =.= Anyway... the manga is wayyyy better than the anime 8D

i.....TOTALLY.....agree.... with everything you said!

btw it's not only too complicated for lill kids, for example: if i would tell my class about the manga, explain them what shippings are and that i'm a franticshipper, they would laugh me in my face -.-

that's why i will always keep it a secret in real life...

fanh
April 10th, 2008, 07:10 AM
i.....TOTALLY.....agree.... with everything you said!

btw it's not only too complicated for lill kids, for example: if i would tell my class about the manga, explain them what shippings are and that i'm a franticshipper, they would laugh me in my face -.-

that's why i will always keep it a secret in real life...

Oh. Em. Gee. *hugs you*

Same goes with me. Worse, actually.

When I told my friend that I like Pokemon, she was like: 'OMG you still like that thing for little kids'

*is speechless*

hoennshipperxxx
April 10th, 2008, 08:21 AM
Oh. Em. Gee. *hugs you*

Same goes with me. Worse, actually.

When I told my friend that I like Pokemon, she was like: 'OMG you still like that thing for little kids'

*slaps her face*

yea... she must think about the anime, THAT is for lill kids.... manga is the real work!

i CAN tell my friends about the manga, but i won't tell them about shippings... and if they read it (they won't :p), and see a shipping, and than come to me and say: omg i don't like it that there are couples in it... than i could say: yea... that is the bad part, but the rest is cool!

if i'd say that, i won't mean it, but they won't know that i'm a shipper!

P.S: sorry i changed what you said i couldn't help it XD

Apathetic_Yen
April 10th, 2008, 04:18 PM
the pokemon manga, if it were adopted into an anime, would right now be just as popular as, seriously i think, stuff like Bleach and Naruto. the story is much more in depth, the battles are WAYYYYYY cooler, and character development is hella better

VideoFan9864
April 10th, 2008, 08:07 PM
hmmm... i think you're right.....

but i think that maybe they thought that the manga wouldn't be enough and that's why they made the anime... or the manga wasn't popular enough......

but you can ask the same question: why do they make movies out of books?
well... to make it all look better and put effects in it...
maybe THAT is the reason...

but maybe they thought that some guys wouldn't like to read comics and that they would prefer an anime, maybe THAT is the reason...

well i don't know these were just my thoughts...

Yes you are right, its precisely my point. A manga and books would not be enough thats why people needed an anime and they make movies out of books. Yet if our intention is to improve the already made manga then it would be a better idea if they turned the manga to an anime instead of making a new one right?

Also I agree on the manga being too complicated and somehow violent on little kids but the only reason the target audience became little kids is that anime they made. I mean if they made the anime adaptation of the manga right away then the target audience would have became teenagers and adults.

The creators never thought that since they created that anime, the majority of people would likely read less of the manga since they won't know how good it can be. I am a personal example of that. I discoved the manga like more than 5 years ago and yet I did not bother reading it since I thought the anime today is the same as the manga.

hoennshipperxxx
April 11th, 2008, 06:54 AM
Yes you are right, its precisely my point. A manga and books would not be enough thats why people needed an anime and they make movies out of books. Yet if our intention is to improve the already made manga then it would be a better idea if they turned the manga to an anime instead of making a new one right?

Also I agree on the manga being too complicated and somehow violent on little kids but the only reason the target audience became little kids is that anime they made. I mean if they made the anime adaptation of the manga right away then the target audience would have became teenagers and adults.

The creators never thought that since they created that anime, the majority of people would likely read less of the manga since they won't know how good it can be.

i agree!
but if they would make an anime out of the mangas, than the ppl who only watched the animes, would be more interested in the manga or the shippings.
and the ppl who already know the manga is way better would watch the anime out of the manga closely and they would like it, cuz than you could see:

- movements
- colors
- effects
- (hopefully) positive changes

also, if they would make an anime, than young AND old could like pokemon...
now not many ppl know about the manga even existing....

Bonzai-Cat
April 12th, 2008, 06:01 AM
Well I personally think that like you guys have mentioned before it's probably because the older audience of Pokemon is just too small compared to the child audience of Pokemon.
they are trying to market Pokemon towards a younger child audience instead of the old die hard fans or an older teen audience because they will get more money from it.

and I'm kinda lucky at my school, I converted one of my friends to liking pokemon again thanks to all my talk about it with him lol and my girlfriend dosen't mind me playing either. but my soial teacher found out about it and now laughs at me v_v

Rank1
April 12th, 2008, 03:11 PM
At least Pokemon manga doesn't have everyday recurring villains like the Team Rocket idiot trio, and actually has kickass battles, strategy, combat, and 1 to 6 pokemons at a time battles.

VideoFan9864
April 12th, 2008, 07:51 PM
Well I personally think that like you guys have mentioned before it's probably because the older audience of Pokemon is just too small compared to the child audience of Pokemon.
they are trying to market Pokemon towards a younger child audience instead of the old die hard fans or an older teen audience because they will get more money from it.

and I'm kinda lucky at my school, I converted one of my friends to liking pokemon again thanks to all my talk about it with him lol and my girlfriend dosen't mind me playing either. but my soial teacher found out about it and now laughs at me v_v

Yeah you're right. The current series is an ideal way of advertising their toys, dolls, and cards. Its also a way to put in characters like the pokemon rangers. But still, why won't they kill off the annoying team rocket trio and seriously where is the quality of the show now. Their aim to be a master is unfounded since you can never really become a master because one way or another someone will be better than you. You can't be a master if you always lose in every competition. Plus why don't the characters ever age? At least you saw the change in Red, Green, Blue, and Yellow on FRLG.

manutdrule
April 12th, 2008, 10:30 PM
if the manga is going to be converted into an anime, im SO LOOKING FWD to it. The manga is a bit more mature, but its definitely better than the current crap series with have now.

hoennshipperxxx
April 13th, 2008, 10:27 AM
if the manga is going to be converted into an anime, im SO LOOKING FWD to it. The manga is a bit more mature, but its definitely better than the current crap series with have now.

haha you're totally right!

about team rocket,i should've put them away after johto, and than team M and A begin to rumble, and they go away, and in sinnoh is team G, now team rochet is in every season... if i was giovanni, i would've already fired them

Donna
April 13th, 2008, 11:23 AM
I would've already fired them

You're absolutely right!
I mean.. they failed like.. a bazillion times. Where do they keep getting the money for their stupid machines?

Plus they encountered several legendaries.. Why still chase after a Pikachu? XD
Woner how old Ash is now.. Still looks like a brat of 10 to me..

Lynnx
April 13th, 2008, 12:15 PM
Reasons why I prefer the manga:

1. Characters, battles, the whole shebang are all so much better
2. It's more realistic.
3. The plot is SO much better.
4. It's aimed at an older audience and has the stuff like curse words and blood which are cut out of the anime
5. Um, the characters grow older? Ash should be like 15 by now but he still looks 11.
6. Team Rocket actually does something.

hoennshipperxxx
April 14th, 2008, 06:30 AM
why i like the manga:

- better adventures
- shippings
- its funnier
- the characters are way cooler
- its not only for children from about 13 and under.... its the real work
- no stupid jesse and james everyday in every episode in every season in every place
- its more exciting
- no stupid guy that speaks in the beginning and the end, he sounds really stupid o.O

Apathetic_Yen
April 15th, 2008, 07:36 PM
I don't understand why the didn't convert the manga into an anime from the start instead of dumping it and instead bringing in, oh gawd, Ash Ketchem

VideoFan9864
April 15th, 2008, 08:13 PM
I don't understand why the didn't convert the manga into an anime from the start instead of dumping it and instead bringing in, oh gawd, Ash Ketchem

Yeah some of us don't. Also speaking of ash ketchum, its a funny story. You see I also have a you tube account which is the same as my username here and about 2 years ago I uploaded one of the pokemon anime specials Raikou Legend of Thunder in japanese with eng sub. Back then I never heard of the manga before and since I started hating the anime I decided to watch something without ash in it. That special is really good in my opinion. Too bad the english version ruined it. Anyway after a few days I received comments... ALL NEGATIVE COMMENTS.
1. Where the .... is Ash?
2. What the.... is this?
3. I WANT ASH NOW

Talk about annoying. I got so mad I turned it private. They are attracted to ash and not care about the show at all. They act like I made the video and blames me because ash is not there. My point here is that since the manga is just unmoving and uncolored pictures, no matter how good it is since its not in television it would never be appreciated.

Apathetic_Yen
April 15th, 2008, 09:00 PM
Yeah some of us don't. Also speaking of ash ketchum, its a funny story. You see I also have a you tube account which is the same as my username here and about 2 years ago I uploaded one of the pokemon anime specials Raikou Legend of Thunder in japanese with eng sub. Back then I never heard of the manga before and since I started hating the anime I decided to watch something without ash in it. That special is really good in my opinion. Too bad the english version ruined it. Anyway after a few days I received comments... ALL NEGATIVE COMMENTS.
1. Where the .... is Ash?
2. What the.... is this?
3. I WANT ASH NOW

Talk about annoying. I got so mad I turned it private. They are attracted to ash and not care about the show at all. They act like I made the video and blames me because ash is not there. My point here is that since the manga is just unmoving and uncolored pictures, no matter how good it is since its not in television it would never be appreciated.

I lol at number 3. What lozer would say that? Ash sucks so bad who gives a crap abot him

kyukon
April 15th, 2008, 10:31 PM
I lol at number 3. What lozer would say that? Ash sucks so bad who gives a crap abot him
that's the reason i love the manga **** loads more than the anime. (luv manga, dun like anime that much)

hoennshipperxxx
April 16th, 2008, 08:00 AM
you guys are all sooo my type!

finnaly ppl who don't like ash and team rocket but do love the manga characters!!

Beco
April 16th, 2008, 08:17 AM
The manga is so much better then the anime, not only does it have decent characters, the manga has something that the anime will never have, a plot.

Have you noticed that the anime has been remaking the same story over and over again?

Ash: "Ah... I wanna be a Pokémon Master...Oh no it's Team Rocket..."
Team Rocket: "Prepare for trouble 'n stuff..."
Ash: "Pikachu, use Thunder whatever..."
Writer 1: "So... What do we do now?"
Writer 2: "I have an idea..."
Team Rocket: "Team Rocket's blasting of again..."
Writer 1: "Wow.. Where so good..."

hoennshipperxxx
April 16th, 2008, 09:53 AM
The manga is so much better then the anime, not only does it have decent characters, the manga has something that the anime will never have, a plot.

Have you noticed that the anime has been remaking the same story over and over again?

Ash: "Ah... I wanna be a Pokémon Master...Oh no it's Team Rocket..."
Team Rocket: "Prepare for trouble 'n stuff..."
Ash: "Pikachu, use Thunder whatever..."
Writer 1: "So... What do we do now?"
Writer 2: "I have an idea..."
Team Rocket: "Team Rocket's blasting of again..."
Writer 1: "Wow.. We're so good..."

ouch! XD
that one must come harsh!

i also hate that judge guy in the contest: thanks, you're all so remarkable!
that was remarkable!
man i hate that stupid guy...

i hope that they will realize that nobody will be liking it anymore, i'd say: stop at four regions!

if they would have just made a anime out of the manga, than the young AND the old kids will be happy....
but they probably never will...

Alli
April 16th, 2008, 11:49 AM
At least they have brains in the manga.

You'd think by now, the anime characters(yes, Ash, I'm talking to you) would notice idiotic Team Rocket. The only thing Jessie and James are good for are a few laughs and RocketShipping. Giovanni at least has a brain in the manga and would've fired them, probably in the first season, too.

The plot is a lot better, and not repetitive like the anime.

Anime: Oh! A new Pokemon, a new friend/rival, a battle, Team Rocket blasts off again, ending in the sunset and continue on their journey...
Manga: Something happens and domino effects everything else to where I can't explain because, like I said, it's not repetitive.

Meaning:

Manga > Anime

KageRyuu
April 16th, 2008, 12:18 PM
OMG I hate the Anime so much. No offense to anyone who loves it, but the Manga is so much better. Its alot more...adult, and theres more plot, and theres more twists. I love it, not the same old. "Lets catch Pikachu" theme. OMG why dosent team rocket just catch one? Lol...But anyway. The Manga/ Video games are so much better than the Anime. Oh they did btw incorporate some of the video game into the anime, just gold/crystal appeared,lol. It was that Pokemon Chronicles bull crap that they showed for a little bit. Any, im pretty sure in the Anime never showed a Charmeleon ripping an Arbok in half, or a Kadabra punching open a Blastoise. Or the actual removal of a slowpokes tail?

Alli
April 16th, 2008, 02:48 PM
Any, im pretty sure in the Anime never showed a Charmeleon ripping an Arbok in half, or a Kadabra punching open a Blastoise. Or the actual removal of a slowpokes tail?

Or a pervy boy named Gold patting a girl named Blue's butt. :o

manutdrule
April 17th, 2008, 01:38 AM
its doesn't really have to be that violent (even i felt slightly
disturbed by how that chameleon simply slashed that poor arbok into half with all the guts coming out), but too little violence and its simply unrealistic and limiting.

fanh
April 17th, 2008, 05:06 AM
Yay! More manga lovers! :D

I used to like the anime when I was a little LITTLE girl. Now seeing Ash pisses me off. Aaand his Pikachu's attack seems to be super effective to everything o_O

Alli
April 17th, 2008, 04:16 PM
I used to like the anime when I was a little LITTLE girl. Now seeing Ash pisses me off. Aaand his Pikachu's attack seems to be super effective to everything o_O

I know. It's really annoying. When I was seven, I did like Ash...but, that didn't last long. I don't watch the anime too often, but I still know what's going on.

I hate Pikachu just for that. I really do.

Ageless Irony
April 17th, 2008, 04:35 PM
Well, In my opinion, the Manga kinda trumps the Anime in just about all aspects...
Yes.
Even Voice Acting xD

Really though, The Anime is repetitve, somewhat boring, and has...Dumb plots. Even the movies are getting pretty bad. I'm not sure if it's just becuase I was young or something, but the first few seasons of the Anime were pretty great...But now...I can't stand it ><

And the Manga...Well...It has awesome plots, detailed, deep characters, more mature sitiuatons...
Gold > Brock
But Brock is still pretty great.

Man, wouldn't it be crazy if there was an Anime of the Manga...

VideoFan9864
April 17th, 2008, 04:36 PM
At least they have brains in the manga.

You'd think by now, the anime characters(yes, Ash, I'm talking to you) would notice idiotic Team Rocket. The only thing Jessie and James are good for are a few laughs and RocketShipping. Giovanni at least has a brain in the manga and would've fired them, probably in the first season, too.

The plot is a lot better, and not repetitive like the anime.

Anime: Oh! A new Pokemon, a new friend/rival, a battle, Team Rocket blasts off again, ending in the sunset and continue on their journey...
Manga: Something happens and domino effects everything else to where I can't explain because, like I said, it's not repetitive.

Meaning:

Manga > Anime

Speaking of team rocket in the anime. Put on a fake mustache on james and glasses on jessie with a uniform change and ash and company says "Who are you?" Like duh they see them everyday and they STILL fall for the lame crossdressing disguises they put on.

Plus a possible reason a fan gave out for the manga to not becomming an anime is that they have too many main characters. That is so much better than having new characters for each and every episode. Also ash always have new rivals in league competitons who only appear once. I mean in the manga it would be much more epic if the main characters fight each other since you see their progress.

I mean what is the deal, they make infinitely many minor characters instead of just 10 main characters and they worry about voice cast?

Alli
April 17th, 2008, 05:26 PM
Gold > Brock

That's a...weird comparison.

Speaking of team rocket in the anime. Put on a fake mustache on james and glasses on jessie with a uniform change and ash and company says "Who are you?" Like duh they see them everyday and they STILL fall for the lame crossdressing disguises they put on.

Plus a possible reason a fan gave out for the manga to not becomming an anime is that they have too many main characters. That is so much better than having new characters for each and every episode. Also ash always have new rivals in league competitons who only appear once. I mean in the manga it would be much more epic if the main characters fight each other since you see their progress.

I mean what is the deal, they make infinitely many minor characters instead of just 10 main characters and they worry about voice cast?

I agree here. And no, it's not just your younger age that enjoyed the first season, it really is the best. When the first season is on, I steal the remote and tell my brother how great the first season is and not to pay attention to the new ones cause they suck. He listens to everything I say, so he goes with it. That and I'll watch an episode with Drew every once in a while...I like his character, and at least he appears more than once.

lalalagirl
April 17th, 2008, 05:28 PM
That's a...weird comparison.

Hehe i think they mean the perverted-ness in them XD ... or maybe their interest in older women >=D

Alli
April 17th, 2008, 05:29 PM
Hehe i think they mean the perverted-ness in them XD ... or maybe their interest in older women >=D

Oh, well in that case...

Gold > Brock

:D

Now I gotcha. Hmmm...I wanna discuss shipping now.

Ageless Irony
April 17th, 2008, 05:54 PM

Yes that is exxactly what I meant.
ALSO
I am Sir-Shademan on FF
I believe you reviewed my fic? ^^

fanh
April 17th, 2008, 07:17 PM
Everyone, take a look at this: http://keysha-chan.deviantart.com/art/Too-Much-Stupidity-comic-27029326

XDD

kyukon
April 17th, 2008, 11:14 PM
is this a trick question!?

manga>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>(millions of arrows later) >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>anime

FACT!
i can't stand the anime anymore! it full of repeat episodes!
person has a problem
ash shows up and helps
team rocket shows up
ash beats them and the person's problem is ressolved
the end

they do that 500 times before each plot-related battle.

the manga is more straight forward, the characters actually know how to use their brains and the manga doesn't have pointless fillers.

so thusfore
manga pwns the anime very very very very very hard. with lots of energy to spare.

fanh
April 18th, 2008, 04:21 AM

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>(millions of arrows later) >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>anime

FACT!
person has a problem
ash shows up and helps
team rocket shows up
the end

the manga is more straight forward, the characters actually know how to use their brains and the manga doesn't have pointless fillers.

so thusfore
manga pwns the anime very very very very very hard. with lots of energy to spare.

I TOTALLY agree with you there 8D

LONG LIVE THE MANGA!!! :3

Mikoliah
April 18th, 2008, 04:55 AM
Yay! More manga lovers! :D

first of all you are still a little girl. you are 13. second if you remember in pokemon cannon ash's pikachu is level 80+ just unevolved.

try taking a level 80+ pikachu with his exact moveset. (agility, volt tackle, iron tail and thunder bolt) around from the begining of the game and see how easy it is to you

Elite-Four-Mark
April 18th, 2008, 04:57 AM
I just hated the concept of Pikachu walking around with the group...and then why was Ash named ash? I mean, Red and Blue worked just fine...

I'm actually working on a more teen-based yet calmed down version of the manga as an american-anime (since I can't create an actual anime) but even if I don't put any effort in it will still outrun the current anime. (poking fun at the current anime!)

EDIT: and 13 isn't exactly "little", it's still teen years...it's only been four months since I turned fourteen and I've already got a decent amount of stories written for my first book, "Suicide By Numbers"...I know it's probably hard for you to understand because you're eleven years older than fanh but in terms of schooling being "nearly fourteen" isn't that young. most people stop liking pokemon when they're nine, those who don't end up either working at nintendo or writing mangas such as the one we are discussing.

hoennshipperxxx
April 18th, 2008, 05:11 AM
Everyone, take a look at this: http://keysha-chan.deviantart.com/art/Too-Much-Stupidity-comic-27029326

XDD

HAHAHAHA!

oh my god XD
that was cool!

Ageless Irony
April 18th, 2008, 05:24 AM
You know, I'd probably watch the anime a bit if they got better voice acting, but the way it is now...It's just...ugh...
Which means if there was an anime of the manga, it might end up suffering the same fate...Which would be bad...

Ash hit puberty and puberty hit back ><

KNIGHT_OF_ARCEUS
April 18th, 2008, 12:03 PM
I have a lot of reasons for hating the anime. The first thing i should bring up is the anime is so repeditve team rocket tries to steal pikachu in almost every episode with expensive toys they can't possibly afford or even build the as fast as they do. also, everybody is too stupid to see through team rocket's obvious costumes. plus how does team rocket survive so many potentialy deadly expolosions after the fail to capture pikachu. also how does team rocket get sent flying so easily.
to top it all off the anime is what is made certain people think that the pokemon games are for babies just because the anime is.
The manga is 1000000000000000000000000000 times better than the anime. That is in every way possible.

lalalagirl
April 18th, 2008, 03:05 PM
Yes that is exxactly what I meant.
ALSO
I am Sir-Shademan on FF
I believe you reviewed my fic? ^^

:D I love your fic so far!! >:3 hehe~~

Alli
April 18th, 2008, 03:33 PM
Ash hit puberty and puberty hit back ><

You keep making me rofl. And I hate using that acronym. ><

But yeah, I almost died on the floor when I heard his new voice...

VideoFan9864
April 18th, 2008, 05:55 PM

FACT!
person has a problem
ash shows up and helps
team rocket shows up
the end

so thusfore

So true. Besides the manga really does not have any pointless fillers because fillers are defined as something not made by the creator but by producers. They are what is called an anime original. Sorry for the lecture I do agree with you.

I like the manga for the same reasons everyone here. Let me also add that they have good strategies in battle. Example they explain how this and that happened during battles. In story they start at the middle and they explain through flashbacks. THAT NEVER HAPPENS IN ANIME simply because their episodes are so straight forward.

TODAY OUR HEROES GO THROUGH BLAH BLAH BLAH same old thing for every episode

Alli
April 18th, 2008, 07:19 PM
I like the manga for the same reasons everyone here. Let me also add that they have good strategies in battle. Example they explain how this and that happened during battles. In story they start at the middle and they explain through flashbacks. THAT NEVER HAPPENS IN ANIME simply because their episodes are so straight forward.

And there's not good character development in the anime. Ash is still a hotshot idiot(no offense Satoshi fangirls) and Brock's still a lady lover(but, that's funny) and Team Rocket is still stupid...and Pikachu is still ugly as crap and has MAGICAL POWARZ OMG.

And notice that most of them don't have good backgrounds...oh wow. Ash has a mom and we have no clue who his dad is. Oh wow. Brock has a million and seven siblings. Oh wow. Misty is a tomboy and was made fun of by her sisters. That's soooooo great.

Whereas, Blue was snatched by a gigant-o bird(Ho-oh) and doesn't know where her mom and dad are. Silver was snatched by the gigant-o bird, doesn't know his birthday, is the son of Giovanni, doesn't want to accept it, doesn't know his mom, and I could go on.

Crystal broke her arms...and kicks Pokeballs as a result.

Ruby and Sapphire met when they were five, were attacked by Salamence, and had a big personality change because of it.

See, the manga backgrounds are a bit more extensive and interesting.

GunSaberSeraph
April 18th, 2008, 07:37 PM
true that, splatty. let's not even get started on Lance and Yellow....

Ageless Irony
April 18th, 2008, 07:47 PM

*Grins at their names*

Also, lets not forget Wally, with his sickly childhood, and that crazy superpowered Asthma attack, causing him to have to wear that ninja-esque breathing armor.

Alli
April 18th, 2008, 07:52 PM

-shifty eyes- Royal Genesis caught on. xD

GrantedShipping for the win!!!

Also, lets not forget Wally, with his sickly childhood, and that crazy superpowered Asthma attack, causing him to have to wear that ninja-esque breathing armor.

That, too. ;D

GunSaberSeraph
April 18th, 2008, 07:54 PM
oh, and who could forget Bruno being mentally raped by those mind control devices? Or Mask of Ice?
good times...

Alli
April 18th, 2008, 08:33 PM
oh, and who could forget Bruno being mentally raped by those mind control devices? Or Mask of Ice?
good times...

Mask of Ice > Anime Team Rocket

Now...about the 'mental rape'... O_o

oni flygon
April 22nd, 2008, 10:54 PM
I used to be a manga purist, but then again the anime is geared towards a bigger audience, and a bigger audience just happens to include children. Of course we're not going to show an Arbok getting sliced in half or secret Pokeball attacks involving chests... the anime has an excuse for that--being "kiddy" and all.

What I don't understand in the anime though is the repetitive plot and the forgettable side characters. Oh and Team Rocket was starting to get bland around Orange Islands.

Spirallin
April 22nd, 2008, 11:03 PM
What I don't understand in the anime though is the repetitive plot and the forgettable side characters. Oh and Team Rocket was starting to get bland around Orange Islands.

Well, you do have to remember Pokémon is primarily a kid's show.
I was thinking the same thing the other day, actually--all the episodes follow the same basic formula, that is, Ash & co. get into some poké shenanigans, Team Rocket steals something, epic battle to regain the lost something, Team Rocket blasts off, Ash&co and featured pokémon of the episode do a happy dance and are on their way. It's just exciting enough to make a much younger audience happy, without having to put in a particularly strong plot of subtleties that might confuse them. :p

Personally, I prefer the manga--I love the action, the battles, the storylines, and above all, the characters. <3 They have a lot more personality, but that's just my opinion.

oni flygon
April 22nd, 2008, 11:10 PM
Well, you do have to remember Pokémon is primarily a kid's show.
I was thinking the same thing the other day, actually--all the episodes follow the same basic formula, that is, Ash & co. get into some poké shenanigans, Team Rocket steals something, epic battle to regain the lost something, Team Rocket blasts off, Ash&co and featured pokémon of the episode do a happy dance and are on their way. It's just exciting enough to make a much younger audience happy, without having to put in a particularly strong plot of subtleties that might confuse them. :p

Personally, I prefer the manga--I love the action, the battles, the storylines, and above all, the characters. <3 They have a lot more personality, but that's just my opinion.

Yeah, I really liked the manga because of the characters, too. They're memorable and nostalgic and I appreciate Kusaka for attempting to incorporate older heroes into newer volumes like the Battle Frontier, etc. Although sometimes I'm irked by the fact that a few characters are a bit two dimensional... but I don't mind it that much. I still love the characters.

Apathetic_Yen
April 24th, 2008, 09:06 AM
I used to be a manga purist, but then again the anime is geared towards a bigger audience, and a bigger audience just happens to include children. Of course we're not going to show an Arbok getting sliced in half or secret Pokeball attacks involving chests... the anime has an excuse for that--being "kiddy" and all.

A little censorship never hurts.

Usually if a manga gets adopted into an anime they'll usually change, take out, or add new content to keep the show at a more 'kid friendly' level.

Example: In the naruto manga there is a part where a guy gets his head chopped off yet in the anime he is instead stabbed in the chest, then thrown off a bridge.

oni flygon
April 24th, 2008, 03:23 PM
A little censorship never hurts.

Usually if a manga gets adopted into an anime they'll usually change, take out, or add new content to keep the show at a more 'kid friendly' level.

Example: In the naruto manga there is a part where a guy gets his head chopped off yet in the anime he is instead stabbed in the chest, then thrown off a bridge.
Isn't that what fans complain about most then? Yeah you go to communities and it's "why did they censor this?" or "they should have kept the dialog" all just to keep the "authenticity" of the anime.

Anyway, I don't really want the manga to be the anime anymore for several reasons: first reason is that it's pretty much too late and if they wanted to turn it into an anime, they could have done it 10 years ago.

Second of all, anything that turns into an anime will get followed by a terrible fanbase. I'm happy when the mangas/light novels I used to read had a decent (and small) fanbase where I could have a nice and coherent discussion... but after it gets released into an anime, all hell broke lose.

Third of all was my aforementioned statement: authenticity. The games are geared towards a younger audience (not anymore as D/P are more for competitive battles now), and of course a cartoon about cute little creatures will automatically go to children. Oh, and voice actors. The good thing about mangas/light novels is that you establish a voice for the character and it's unique with everyone else's. I've listened to a couple of radio dramas a few years ago about Pokemon Special and the voices were just not right.

I think I have a bunch of other reasons but I'll just... stop my rant there... haha.

Apathetic_Yen
April 24th, 2008, 04:56 PM
Isn't that what fans complain about most then? Yeah you go to communities and it's "why did they censor this?" or "they should have kept the dialog" all just to keep the "authenticity" of the anime.

Anyway, I don't really want the manga to be the anime anymore for several reasons: first reason is that it's pretty much too late and if they wanted to turn it into an anime, they could have done it 10 years ago.

Second of all, anything that turns into an anime will get followed by a terrible fanbase. I'm happy when the mangas/light novels I used to read had a decent (and small) fanbase where I could have a nice and coherent discussion... but after it gets released into an anime, all hell broke lose.

Third of all was my aforementioned statement: authenticity. The games are geared towards a younger audience (not anymore as D/P are more for competitive battles now), and of course a cartoon about cute little creatures will automatically go to children. Oh, and voice actors. The good thing about mangas/light novels is that you establish a voice for the character and it's unique with everyone else's. I've listened to a couple of radio dramas a few years ago about Pokemon Special and the voices were just not right.

I think I have a bunch of other reasons but I'll just... stop my rant there... haha.

Oh ya i wouldn't want them to suddenly turn the manga into the anime now as well ,its way too late for that, unfortunately.

And yah, i totally agree with you on the fanbase part.

LuckyShipper8816
May 7th, 2008, 11:31 PM
Hi!! Me ish a huuuge Special fan. =3 Me is only person here who love Luckyshipping. =3 </cutesy talk>

I really love the manga, because the anime is so boring!! I only watch because I have nothing else to do on Saturdays. I mean, how many times does Ash have to annoy me with his so-called wonderful Pikachu? There are lots of nice shippings in the manga. Everyone (yes, everyone) is interesting and unique and Team Rocket doesn't blast off when they lose a battle. And, of course, it's waaaay more hilarious. *thinks of Gold mistaking Bugsy for a woman* XD

I wouldn't want the manga to turn into an anime though, because I like the characters the way they are. I simply can't imagine all my faves with voices. I'd get harrible nightmares. T__T Besides, they'd remove all violence and maybe even the shippy parts so what's the use?

Heh. I talked too much. Sorry if you got bored!

triscuitpop
May 13th, 2008, 07:27 AM
I love the manga LOTS but. . .I don't think it's better than the anime? I think they're pretty even, actually.

Good Points for the Manga:
-Awesome characters
-There's almost always continuity
-Unique Plots/Backstories
-Kick*** Battles

Good Points for the Anime
-Family/Kiddy friendly
-Cute Humor
-Depending on the art director, battles can look INCREDIBLE and INTENSE in motion.
-Pokemon themselves tend to have more personalities (though this is true for the manga too, but I've seen it more with the Anime's Pokemon)

Overall, I think the Manga is geared mostly toward the older crowd while the Anime is aimed at younger kids and families overall. This doesn't make either one BETTER: they just have different target audiences.

I think I'm one of the few people in the older target audience that still enjoys Ash and Team Rocket's antics. And yes it's episodic, because let's face it, it's a kids show. Almost EVERY kiddy action cartoon follows this formula (oh noes a bad guy! We beat them! Hooray!!) But despite that, the show has become a lot more plot driven for those who gave it up after Johto (which was dead boring imo). And there's a much better villain now.

I haven't read LeafGreen/FireRed yet but honestly I think Red and Green are kind of boring (I LOVE Blue, Gold, and Silver though) so I prefer their anime counter-parts instead X3 Aaah, sorry this sort of turned into a rant. I just get a little flustered when people bash the anime like it's the worst thing ever.

Aqua Mudkip
May 14th, 2008, 06:18 PM
Aqua Mudkip: The Manga is even more better than the anime! The story, the scenes, it's just awesome! I love the manga!

Aqua Mudkip to triscuitpop: It makes you sound like your saying Final Fantasy VII is for little kids because Sephiroth comes back to life and Cloud's there to beat him almost all the time.

triscuitpop
May 15th, 2008, 06:10 PM
Aqua Mudkip: The Manga is even more better than the anime! The story, the scenes, it's just awesome! I love the manga!

Aqua Mudkip to triscuitpop: It makes you sound like your saying Final Fantasy VII is for little kids because Sephiroth comes back to life and Cloud's there to beat him almost all the time.

. . .I'm not even sure how you came to that conclusion as that's faaaar from what I said. But I've never even played that game (not a fan, sorry) so can't say much else 8B