PDA

View Full Version : What would Pokemon be without Pikachu

Storm-DC
April 10th, 2008, 03:39 AM
Imagine... GameFreak would've never made pikachu in the first game, or in any game afterwards.

-What would've been the most popular pokemon instead of pikachu, you think?
-What would pokemon in general look like (merchandise, popularity, etc)?

hothead
April 10th, 2008, 04:02 AM
Well Personally i do not like pickachu but i rekeon without him it would of never of made it this far and it would not be as good
and also pickaacu is good because it is cute so everyone kina likes it
well not everyone well at least not me

TheNewFireEagle
April 10th, 2008, 04:46 AM
Well if they didn't make Pikachu, the whole merchandise with the poke'mon games wouldn't be much as great as it is now.

CartoonJunkie
April 10th, 2008, 05:44 AM
If there was no pikachu, they would have just picked another cute, marketable pokemon to be the series figurehead. Pokemon would have a different face, but I don't think it would be less successful.

SpidyFingers
April 10th, 2008, 07:14 AM
A couple of Months before starting up the Anime series of Pokemon, Clefairy was going to be Ash's partner not Pikachu...
If that had happen I bet it would have been less popular to males.

Amp
April 10th, 2008, 09:15 AM
When you think about it, Pikachu is really the ultimate do-all face of Pokemon. It isn't obviously masculine or feminine, it's cute without heeping it on, and it's got the attitude and power necessary to be a face for the battling aspect.

But without Pikachu, a few others from the original 151 come to mind. I think Sandshrew would've been able to pull it off, but it's perhaps too masculine. Meowth makes another good mascot, and I think it would've been very effective.

Lynxz
April 10th, 2008, 10:05 AM
Then it probably would have been some other Pokemon replacing him ;p

Storm-DC
April 10th, 2008, 10:24 AM
I think Sandshrew would've been able to pull it off, but it's perhaps too masculine. Meowth makes another good mascot, and I think it would've been very effective.

I'd also like to think it would've been Sandshrew. It doesnt have spectaculair attacks, but its my favourite anyway.

A couple of Months before starting up the Anime series of Pokemon, Clefairy was going to be Ash's partner not Pikachu...
If that had happen I bet it would have been less popular to males.

Really? Didnt know that. That would've been weird o.O

Mitchman
April 10th, 2008, 10:35 AM
I say they would have gone on with their lives. Pikachu is a stupid rat anyway.

The Fallen
April 10th, 2008, 10:53 AM
It depends on how you look at it. If Pikachu had never been created I'm sure we would have had another face of Pokemon or someone that would've been an alternate to him. I think it would've been the same quite honestly. Pikachu didn't create the craze. It's just a cute lovable pokemon the people were drawn too.

Stalin Malone
April 10th, 2008, 10:57 AM
Series would be popular for gameplay and no idiot gimmick series.

Alakazam17
April 10th, 2008, 10:59 AM
Pokemon would have become AWESOME! =D

Seriously, I'd be a little scared of what would have happened....back in Pokemon's early days, Jigglypuff was really popular(popular enough to taint that which is Smash Brothers right to this day). I assume he would have been the face of Pokemon, and that would just make me Uber-depressed. @_@

Proto
April 10th, 2008, 11:30 AM
Ugh, it's hard to say. Pikachu certainly doesn't make Pokemon what it is, but it's the "mascot" for the whole thing. It's kinda like asking if Captain Crunch cereal would be the same without the Cap'n, or [insert sports team] would be as popular without [insert mascot]. :x

I like Pikachu being the face of Pokemon, and I agree with a lot of what was said above. It's not overly cute, so it doesn't push away "typical" male fans, but it still has that lovable quality that draws in the "typical" female fans, so yeah. I think it was a good choice at any rate. o3o And it gives us adorable merchandise, like Pikachu VW Beetles and Pikachu DSes and so forth. :D

In the eeeend, I doubt it would've changed much, except maybe a bit less widespread. I mean, everyone knows Pikachu. (Makes you wonder if any other mascot would have the same recognition.)

austin00081
April 10th, 2008, 11:54 AM
If you look back into the early days of pokemon, you'll see a lot of things dealing with Meowth, also Jigglypuff and Clefairy were popular.

Fire Eagle 2010
April 10th, 2008, 01:25 PM
If there wasn't Pikachu, poke'mon wouldn't be the same, the merchandising would be horrible.

Gummy
April 10th, 2008, 01:48 PM
I don't think the entire purpose of Pokemon would be destroyed if Pikachu was never created, because there are many other replacements. Just look at Pachirisu, a much cuter version of that little mouse we've grown to know and love. And if it has to be something from the 1st gen, then Charmander. From lizard to dragon = win.

Avey
April 10th, 2008, 04:19 PM
Imagine... GameFreak would've never made pikachu in the first game, or in any game afterwards.

-What would've been the most popular pokemon instead of pikachu, you think?
-What would pokemon in general look like (merchandise, popularity, etc)?

It was going to be a Clefairy, but they wanted a Pokèmon that attracted both genders, so they picked Pikachu, and gave Clefairy to the manga.

I think Pikachu would've held Pokèmon together for longer had it been it and not Clefairy. But if it was Clefairy, I'd say there'd be a lot more girls playing the games ec cetera than the boys.

Stereotypical to the max!

BakingBluePotatoe
April 10th, 2008, 07:27 PM
where'd you hear that?

and..... Pokemon without Pikachuu!? I can't imagine that! o_o

that'd be like........... that one school in...... California, was it? without thier Bannana-Slug mascot... it just wouldn't be the same X< (Why I choose the Banna-Slug School, is because of that one dude who thought a tiger was better than the slug o_O)

Apathetic_Yen
April 10th, 2008, 10:08 PM
Voltorb man. he would've been the mascot! I mean come on, he looks like the most easily identified object in the game, the pokeball!

Tater Tot
April 11th, 2008, 04:57 AM
It would be the same, they would just have to get rid of the couple episodes where Ash turned into Pikachu. And Ash wouldn't be late for the lab in the first episode, he'd just get another starter, and then he could have a tacky, stupid relationship with another pokemon.

RenzokukenofCerberus
April 11th, 2008, 05:26 PM
If there was no Pikachu, the anime would have gone the same way the game does... and the marketable cute Pokemon would have been Jigglypuff...but the main Pokemon would have been Charizard.

CrystalFlow
April 11th, 2008, 11:43 PM
Eevee could of been great as it has such a wide amount of evolutions to fit peoples personality's

World King
April 11th, 2008, 11:53 PM
Well, CrystalFlow's got a point, although Jigglypuff could've fit in.

Pikachu_trainer
April 14th, 2008, 06:00 AM
but without pikachu
i will be so sad

YellowPen
April 15th, 2008, 04:35 AM
yeah any pokemon which is cute but able to pack a punch when needed is a perfect mascot

jigglypuff, celfairy and if you want to count it..marill

GunSaberSeraph
April 15th, 2008, 06:24 PM
i think Eevee would have been a good mascot, if Larvitar was in the first generation, it would've done well too.

DiggorysGremlin
April 15th, 2008, 06:43 PM
I'd say it would change a lot, because think of how many Pikachu-centred episodes there are. They would have to take them away, and come up with something different. IMO, Pikachu-centred eps are last-resort things, so they would lose some many. And hey, you gotta spend money to make money.

If Pikachu wasn't a mascot, I would say a Pokemon that evolves with a stone would be it. Like.... uh... Jigglypuff. It also has a pre-evo, which came in same time as Pichu.

Forever
April 15th, 2008, 09:13 PM
The starter Pokémon would have different roles... instead of being starters (they'd be the power-ful-er-ones), they'd take over the Pokémon world or something. AND then, Ash, etc, using Pokémon which are opposite to fire, water and grass would come in and save the world... but really without Pikachu... the whole series could've changed in whichever direction was more popular.

Blue Pikachu
April 17th, 2008, 09:15 AM
I think Pokemon will have still been have been a success, but without Pikachu as it's figure head to draw in all manner of global audiences probably not the global phenomena it is. I mean how many people can't name Pikachu when they see him?

The only thing wrong with him is his colour XD

skyterra
April 17th, 2008, 02:38 PM
I the cheapest character in brawl next to pit and kirby would be gone.

I hope there would be no anime, in america anyways, because then Pokemon wouldn't have gotten the "kiddie" label.

I think we would be much better off without it as the mascot.

Danny_L
April 18th, 2008, 03:10 AM
I think without pikachu, the series would not of come this far due to the fact that ash and pikachu are the perfect partnership.

Guitar
April 19th, 2008, 03:16 AM
Umm... better??

Pikachu has become a symbol of overadvertising in Pokemon. It's not like I hate it; it simply receives too much undeserved attention. Ahaha, Hachiji's just jealous. 8D

Bear
April 19th, 2008, 11:59 AM
If there was no pikachu, they would have just picked another cute, marketable pokemon to be the series figurehead. Pokemon would have a different face, but I don't think it would be less successful.

Precisely. I reckon it would've been an Eevee. <3

Obelisk
April 19th, 2008, 04:28 PM
I abgree with cartoon junkie even though it wouldn't be pikachu a different pokemon would come up and pwn in just about every pokemon episode.

strawhat_luffy
April 20th, 2008, 01:16 AM
yeah, I think Eevee would probably be the next pick as a mascot, maybe Charmander, or as someone else said, Marill.

they all grow into stronger pokemon, while still being cute but not "too" cute.

Superjub
April 20th, 2008, 03:54 PM
I doubt Marill as it is a generation II pokemon. I'd assume Jigglypuff, Clefairy, Eevee, Kanto starter. :)

If only it could be Torchic :(

April 20th, 2008, 04:41 PM
Pokemon would be better. Games and anime would be more fair. Pikachu wouldn't get the ridiculous type advantages (Pikachu actually hitting Piloswine?)

I'd be much more into Pokemon overall.

Moon lucario
April 20th, 2008, 05:01 PM
I doubt Marill as it is a generation II pokemon. I'd assume Jigglypuff, Clefairy, Eevee, Kanto starter. :)

If only it could be Torchic :(

well if u think about it ho-Oh a 2nd gen pokemon appeared in teh first ep of the pokemon series so mebbe torchic or even pichu might be a mascot

XaRhS
April 22nd, 2008, 02:39 PM
pikachu is a great mascot and don't forget that it's the first ASH'S pokemon so it has a great value for him and especially for the whole thing.
the only thing i'm afraid of is that it's gonna get old......don't you think?

sirboulevard
April 26th, 2008, 09:59 PM
Well, I don't personally like pikachu (its an ok battler), but im grateful pikachu became the mascot instead of Clefairy or Jigglypuff because i doubt i'd have started to enjoy pokemon, because it would have drawn only girls into the series (which is ironic because if you go on to the GTS website it shows that roughly 60-80% of trainers are guys). My only complaint is that pikachu did make it seem stereotypically child-like when its not really.

Toblerone
April 26th, 2008, 11:59 PM
Pokémon would never be as good as it is now if it didn't have pikachu as its mascot, but clefairy could've easily been the mascot of the games.