PDA

View Full Version : Your Rights of Copyright Is About Be Taken Away

Lucy Lu
April 13th, 2008, 05:44 PM
I found this article not too long ago(It has three pages).

http://mag.awn.com/index.php?ltype=Columns&article_no=3605&%3E%3Cimg%20src=

It was saying about a new bill is going to be passed. This bill is called "The Orphaned Art/Work Bill", well I think that is what it is called. Description is in the link.

If you draw/compose/write something and it is yours unless you buy a copyright for it, then it isn't yours. Someone could steal it and claim it is yours. And you can't do anything about it. Now if you buy a copyright you will be safe. You can sue and do whatever.

This is the stupidest bill I ever heard in my life. I really hope it doesn't get passed.

This works with art, music, writing, making videos. If you guys have the time read the article, and tell me what you think.

I think the government wants more money. >>;

The music and art industry are in danger here. Omg, I can't believe it...

And mods if you think it should go somewhere else, then move this in the right forum. Thank you. ^_^

Espreon
April 13th, 2008, 05:48 PM
OK, I am no artist but thats outrageous! Who or what conjured up such a stupid bill? What is the purpose behind this stupid bill?

I hope Bush veotes this and then no one in Congress signs it.

Virtual Chatot
April 13th, 2008, 05:54 PM
As a Writer I think this is just terrible, since I have four spiral notebooks that are completely filled with story ideas.

To think that anyone could simply steal ideas is just horrendous, and I doubt that this bill will be passed with the amount of Artists ( Writing, Architecture, and Composing music is an artform ) that live in the United States.

Memory
April 13th, 2008, 05:55 PM
I am an artist, and this most certainly is outrageous.

It's basically making art theft legal.

This is the stupidest... ugh. It makes me mad. I've signed three petitions so far.
I really hope they don't come through with this.
If they do, every piece of artwork I create will have a big ugly watermark on it to where no one can appreciate the actual image. :D

Saryka
April 13th, 2008, 05:55 PM
That's definitely not cool. I mean, you work hard and now you have to pay to keep your ideas yours? That's just terrible.

Virtual Chatot
April 13th, 2008, 05:56 PM
I am an artist, and this most certainly is outrageous.

It's basically making art theft legal.

This is the stupidest... ugh. It makes me mad. I've signed three petitions so far.
I really hope they don't come through with this.
If they do, every piece of artwork I create will have a big ugly watermark on it to where no one can appreciate the actual image. :D

Care to post a legitimate petition's link? I want to sign it :S

Espreon
April 13th, 2008, 05:56 PM
I think I should tell my art teacher about this tomorrow, I am sure she will be outraged. Nonetheless I should try to rally all the people in my school who care about art.

I wanna know what soulless/heartless person conjured up this utter piece of garbage. (If any of you can tell me you are my hero, somewhat).

Wait does this extend to literature too? Well I am a writer and I need to protect my pieces! I wonder if the GPL can be extended to writing (I know art can be GPLed)

People there is a solution to all of this, GPL your art so the corporations can't steal it!

Chikara
April 13th, 2008, 06:03 PM
Care to post a legitimate petition's link? I want to sign it :S

I would too. I"m not much of an artist, but neither is my art teacher and I'm sure she would sign it as well.

This is ridiculous. It makes me mad they think they can take us for granted like that like we don't matter, we're just more money in their pocket >:[

Lucy Lu
April 13th, 2008, 06:04 PM
http://www.petitiononline.com/dAvsOW/petition.html
^ Here is the petition.

I bet everyone in devianART are not too happy about this. No one is happy about it. And I really hope President George W. Bush will VETO this. This is beyond retarded.

Virtual Chatot
April 13th, 2008, 06:06 PM
http://www.petitiononline.com/dAvsOW/petition.html
^ Here is the petition.

I bet everyone in devianART are not too happy about this. No one is happy about it. And I really hope President George W. Bush will VETO this. This is beyond retarded.

Agreed, I actually read his autobiography and he took a few art classes in his life. Hopefully he can get passionate about the eradication of this bill, and act upon it.

When I get angry, I use big words :x

Espreon
April 13th, 2008, 06:07 PM
As I said earlier at least GPL your art if the bill is passed so the corporations can't steal it. We at least have the right to copyleft it!

I am gonna sign that petition now, let the retardedness end! (Petition signed!)

Virtual Chatot
April 13th, 2008, 06:12 PM
As I said earlier at least GPL your art if the bill is passed so the corporations can't steal it. We at least have the right to copyleft it!

I am gonna sign that petition now, let the retardedness end!

Its not just that its...well...retarded

Its also in violation of the Creative Commons License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/us/), which means Corporations will be able to copyright artwork, videos, and music without giving consent to the creator.

Seriously, I will start an Artistic Revolution if this bill is passed. It will be a violation of so many freedoms.

Mr.Roserade
April 13th, 2008, 06:14 PM
Dude OMG, how this is such bullcrap, so LEGALLY anyone can take my bands music, copyright it and say its theres =O
Well I wont stand for this, Im going to go to myspace and see if I can get people to post this in bulletins and stuff and MAYBE it will get toms attention

Espreon
April 13th, 2008, 06:15 PM
Its not just that its...well...retarded

Its also in violation of the Creative Commons License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/us/), which means Corporations will be able to copyright artwork, videos, and music without giving consent to the creator.

Seriously, I will start an Artistic Revolution if this bill is passed. It will be a violation of so many freedoms.

Oh yeah I forgot about the CCL, thanks for reminding me!

If the bill is passed, then GO HEATRAN!

But does this bill pass on to literature, I need to know as I am a writer!

Virtual Chatot
April 13th, 2008, 06:17 PM
Dude OMG, how this is such bullcrap, so LEGALLY anyone can take my bands music, copyright it and say its theres =O
Well I wont stand for this, Im going to go to myspace and see if I can get people to post this in bulletins and stuff and MAYBE it will get toms attention

This is what I'm talking about, this bill will NEVER get passed, to many people are already angry at it. If by some chance it is passed, Artists, Musicians, Architects, Writers, ect would create such a public outcry, it would force them to repeal the bill.

I'm going to email FoxNews and CNN about this, maybe they could drop the presidential race for a few minutes to air something on this.

Oh yeah I forgot about the CCL, thanks for reminding me!

If the bill is passed, then GO HEATRAN!

But does this bill pass on to literature, I need to know as I am a writer!

As I previously said, it passes on to ANYONE with an idea. I'm worried about this to, since I am a writer as well! ( Author, Poet, ect )

Espreon
April 13th, 2008, 06:18 PM
I'm going to email FoxNews and CNN about this, maybe they could drop the presidential race for a few minutes to air something on this.

Great idea, maybe e-mail Bill O'Reily about it and he talk about it on the O'Reily Factor (Bill O'Reily is a Fox News guy on Fox News)...

I don't want my totally awesome short story "The Food Epic" to be stolen by some soulless corporation.

Alright, now I am gonna rally all writers and artists in my school!

Virtual Chatot
April 13th, 2008, 06:21 PM
Great idea, maybe e-mail Bill O'Reily about it and he talk about it on the O'Reily Factor (Bill O'Reily is a Fox News guy on Fox News)...

Already done my friend, I will be so happy if they decide to air a story on it.

Edit: Emailed 3 Foxnews Newscasters and 3 CNN Newscasters

I've also contacted a few Art Museums and Colleges

I took the initiative, lets see what happens o3o

Espreon
April 13th, 2008, 06:34 PM
Already done my friend, I will be so happy if they decide to air a story on it.

Edit: Emailed 3 Foxnews Newscasters and 3 CNN Newscasters

I've also contacted a few Art Museums and Colleges

I took the initiative, lets see what happens o3o

Yes, we shall seeth. I hopeth they will talketh about it.

Lucy Lu
April 13th, 2008, 06:35 PM
I think you guys don't have anything to worry about. The more I think about it, this isn't going to be passed. There are so many people who uses art as a profession, and a lot of creative minds are in danger of this stupid bill. They won't allow it.

I am glad you guys are taking the initiative though to make sure this bill doesn't pass. Everyone is doing the same, so I think everything will be okay. I hope...

Virtual Chatot
April 13th, 2008, 06:36 PM
I think you guys don't have anything to worry about. The more I think about it, this isn't going to be passed. There are so many people who uses art as a profession, and a lot of creative minds are in danger of this stupid bill. They won't allow it.

Still, there is always the chance that congress won't care what the American public thinks *cough*

But I have to agree, there is almost no possibility of it being passed.

Espreon
April 13th, 2008, 06:40 PM
Still, there is always the chance that congress won't care what the American public thinks *cough*

But I have to agree, there is almost no possibility of it being passed.

Yeah, then they would not be very good representatives, if the President vetoes the bill it goes to the Senate and the House of Reps to see if the veto will be overridden by a vote. I hope our representatives are good at representing us.

Gerri Shin
April 13th, 2008, 06:47 PM
I've written an email to my state's rep, this just steams me. (I won't go further as I might get so steamed that I would use words that are blocked here so I'm going to head myself off) http://www.jcxp.net/forums/style_emoticons/default/realmad.gif

http://www.jcxp.net/forums/style_emoticons/default/kaboom.gif

Spaekle Oddberry
April 13th, 2008, 07:26 PM
The Copyright Office seeks to examine the issues raised by “orphan works,” i.e., copyrighted works whose owners are difficult or even impossible to locate. Concerns have been raised that the uncertainty surrounding ownership of such works might needlessly discourage subsequent creators and users from incorporating such works in new creative efforts or making such works available to the public. This notice requests written comments from all interested parties. Specifically, the Office is seeking comments on whether there are compelling concerns raised by orphan works that merit a legislative, regulatory or other solution, and what type of solution could effectively address these concerns without conflicting with the legitimate interests of authors and right holders.

http://www.copyright.gov/fedreg/2005/70fr3739.html

It's only saying that if a work of art has no signature or anything on it, if no one is openly taking credit for the art, and if it's impossible to find whoever owned the artwork, then it can be used freely.

Additionally, This link was posted by someone on another forum I go to. (http://news.deviantart.com/article/46375/) Don't worry so much.

Espreon
April 13th, 2008, 07:36 PM
So your saying we can calm down now and we don't have to rally our schools and what not, send angry letters to our representatives and sign petitions?

Spaekle Oddberry
April 13th, 2008, 07:43 PM
Yes, because as long as you sign your artwork or even put some contact information in your online gallery, the art is yours and stealing it is still illegal. The only thing that this is saying is that if there's no way of tracing a work of art back to whoever made it - no signature, no contact information, no nothing - it is therefore 'orphaned' and then people can use it freely.

So, just sign your artwork and leave ways people can contact you wherever you post your art online and there won't be anything to worry about. You can still be vehemently against it and form angry mobs, I suppose, but it's really not as big of a deal as people are making it out to be.

Lucy Lu
April 13th, 2008, 08:42 PM
Oh wow, what a relief. And I been seeing everyone in video sites(YouTube)go all over this. Well I guess there isn't nothing to worry about then. Thanks for the heads up Spaekle Oddberry. =D

Okay, everyone carry on what you were doing. Nothing to see here.

BakingBluePotatoe
April 14th, 2008, 12:41 PM
I swear to god, if this bill gets passed, I'm stabbing the president >.>

I am gonna sign that petition now, let the retardedness end! (Petition signed!)

not to sound stupid but... what's GPL?

Espreon
April 14th, 2008, 01:20 PM
not to sound stupid but... what's GPL?

GPL = Gnu Public License.

Its usually used to license software but can be used on art and such.

Virtual Chatot
April 14th, 2008, 01:28 PM
Talked to my Art Teacher today, and she agreed with me about how terrible this is.

Nothing left to say I guess, hopefully the news stations I contacted will air something

Nevertheless, there is no way this is going to be passed

Heart's Soul
April 14th, 2008, 01:30 PM
That is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. I don't have several grand, I don't even have 100 bucks. Plus, I save it for my soon-to-be-owned Wii. Other than that- I "buy" (not really, just fake it) copyright.

Arcanine
April 14th, 2008, 01:43 PM
The only "art" I do is banner making. But I have had people use my banners (without asking) and I wasn't that happy.
But I think the second main point to all of this (the main being art and fics and such being ripped off) is how stupid the people in the Gov is. I mean they can't do anything to help the gas prices, they can't do anything to help with other things, but they can take the time to draft a bill for something stupid like this? I mean really... don't they got anything better to do? Oh, but we all know this is for one thing and one thing only... money. The Gov can't have enough money.

Ichikool
April 14th, 2008, 01:48 PM
I read about this on dA before. It really is the stupidest thing ever. As an artist, I always wished of having an art career. If this bill is passed, who knows what will happen to me. I might as well get a 'job.' This makes me so angry...

EDIT: I'm all cleared up on this now, so never mind.

Chikara
April 14th, 2008, 01:53 PM
I swear to god, if this bill gets passed, I'm stabbing the president >.>

I'd watch it if I were you. It may be a retarded law that may get passed, but that doesn't mean it's alright to threaten the president, whether it's joking or not.

Honestly, if someone thought my art was good enough to steal form me and call it theirs, I'd be flattered. I'd sure give them a piece of my mind, cause it's MINE and not THEIRS, but you kind of have to look at the other opinions. I'm not saying I'm all for it, I'm completely against it in every way possible, seeing as how the only art I do is theme graphics and crappy photography it just wouldn't mean as much to me than it does to all of you after I thought about it.

I'm just trying to be optimistic if the law DOES get passed XD;

Espreon
April 14th, 2008, 03:02 PM
People please! Read Spaekle Oddberry's post on the first page of this thread, this bill only applies to things whose copyright owner can't be determined. So there is little to worry about.

Wish
April 14th, 2008, 03:10 PM
People please! Read Spaekle Oddberry's post on the first page of this thread, this bill only applies to things whose copyright owner can't be determined. So there is little to worry about.

That's good. I was getting all mad when I first heard about it. I am an artist, but who would steal my art anyway? They are not that good So I guess this is really nothing that serious.

Lucy Lu
April 14th, 2008, 03:10 PM
Espreon is right guys. I think in the article the reporter took away out of proportion and didn't see the real deal about this bill. I think everyone in the net took it too far. Sorry about that. ^^;

But still if they can't determine who art is that, then can some people still steal it and claim it as theirs? If they original artist hasn't stepped up?

Jaimes
April 14th, 2008, 03:23 PM
Um.. yeah this is why using some internet sources isn't always reliable...

This only applies for work where the owner cannot be traced... hence the 'Orphaned Works'. ¬_¬
It's mainly for historic and educational reasons. There are many museums and education centres that have hundreds of unclaimed photos (Holocaust & WW2 Museums notably) they cannot use due to possible infringement.

Jeeze.. shows how eager people are too believe stuff and sign things with out checking it out properly ._.

Virtual Chatot
April 14th, 2008, 05:13 PM
Um.. yeah this is why using some internet sources isn't always reliable...

This only applies for work where the owner cannot be traced... hence the 'Orphaned Works'. ¬_¬
It's mainly for historic and educational reasons. There are many museums and education centres that have hundreds of unclaimed photos (Holocaust & WW2 Museums notably) they cannot use due to possible infringement.

Jeeze.. shows how eager people are too believe stuff and sign things with out checking it out properly ._.

You have to see how this could be misused though, people could simply say they tried to trace people down, and they really didn't

FourFourTwo
April 14th, 2008, 05:21 PM
Whenever I make art/write lyrics for my band, i always scan a copy with the date written on it, then mail it to myself and never open it. When I get it, I write a description of the art/lyrics on the back of the envelope, and store it. If anyone ever steals my idea, i have DATED proof (the post office stamps the date on the envelope) that I came up with it first.

Virtual Chatot
April 14th, 2008, 05:55 PM
Whenever I make art/write lyrics for my band, i always scan a copy with the date written on it, then mail it to myself and never open it. When I get it, I write a description of the art/lyrics on the back of the envelope, and store it. If anyone ever steals my idea, i have DATED proof (the post office stamps the date on the envelope) that I came up with it first.

It's not just the date, its the fact that it has the United States Seal on it. That's what makes it really official and admissible in court if the need ever arises.

Cookie luvs Green
April 15th, 2008, 01:14 PM
This bill has been hung around for quite awhile. The guy in that article is just rather silly. I'm obviously beating a dead horse now but I think this is a good read (http://maradydd.livejournal.com/374886.html).

Lucy Lu
April 15th, 2008, 03:21 PM
Thanks for that, Cookie luvs Green. I think I read some of that, and it made sense now. That guy in that article clearly didn't get his facts straight, neither the people who made videos about this on YouTube. I think as soon everyone knows is about "Orphaned Works" they will calm down.

I guess I will have a mod close this now, since this whole thing was a big misunderstanding. Well on my part. Thanks for your views everyone. ^_^

Jeremy
April 16th, 2008, 10:00 AM
Okie dokie, sweetie. ^^ Since it was just a big misunderstanding. *Pulls out her magic stick and waves.*

[i]*Locky-locky*[i] Do to request by user. =3