PDA

View Full Version : What Would You Like To See?

Astinus
April 15th, 2008, 12:27 PM
I've finally decided to change a few things about this section, since I was bored. And it's time for a revolution.

The rules for this section have changed due to previous concerns brought up to me by members of this section. If you ask for it, I'll do my best to get what you want.

So, really, this thread will be for those members who want their opinions known to speak their minds. I'm open to hear all changes, since there are quite a few I would still like to make. Those, however, will take time.

So, post away.

Anyone who says a new moderator will promptly be nya-nya'd at, and perhaps mocked off-site. xP

JX Valentine
April 15th, 2008, 12:49 PM
A new moderator.

How do you feel about the idea of offering a beta reader line? Mostly, a place where people can post profiles that state that they're available for beta reading, what their skills are, and what fandoms they usually work with. We could probably instate some sort of quality control in who volunteers as a beta reader. (Maybe writing samples should be provided when a member applies to be a beta?)

I mostly say this because Pokemon betas tend to be difficult to find off FFNet (and sometimes even then). Given the quality of some of the fics in the main forum, it'd be nice to have a list of who can offer some one-on-one help to new authors just coming in. While we can't really require them to go to a beta before posting their first stories (unless you can think of a solution there), we can always point them to the beta thread and "encourage" them to find help.

Astinus
April 15th, 2008, 01:25 PM
So, in what you're saying, a one-on-one thing like what should have happened in the Bin? I was thinking of doing that, but was waiting to see if there was an interest in it. I know Silver already is helping a new writer with their story, so it's like...already implemented. She volunteered for that.

So, if others are willing to volunteer their services, I'd be willing to let that go ahead.

Oh, and "nya-nya".

Saffire Persian
April 15th, 2008, 01:34 PM
Well, I remember a few threads I liked over on the dreaded lagger. I quite liked the Authors' Profile thread as well as the Fanfiction Compilation thread with links and everything that Iceking made (though, if we just had the Authors' Profile, I suppose links would be accessible enough). I agree on having a beta-reader thread, and I was also fond of the Fanfiction Reccomendation thread that was unsticked over at SPPF a long time ago--it led me to a lot of good fics I wouldn't have found otherwise. That's just my two cents, though.

Rebellious Treecko
April 15th, 2008, 03:02 PM
Here I go with my vauge submissions. 8(

I mostly agree with Jax and Saff on the beta-reader thread(s)
This place could also have a sub-forum for shipping fics like SPPF, as well as the completed fics forum. (Poke shippers will take over the world someday)
I'm not sure if we'll need fic reccomendation thread at PC thoguh. This place is kinda small, so some good fics probably won't be that hard to find. On the other hand...I don't know.
I might think of more stuff later

Don't hurt me for this, guys. XD

JX Valentine
April 15th, 2008, 03:41 PM
So, in what you're saying, a one-on-one thing like what should have happened in the Bin?

Pretty much. Only with less moving. *nod*

I can't hurt you if you agree with me (at least, on the beta thread thing). XD

I'm curious, though, and too impatient for lagging. What's the fic rec thread like? Is it like the Fanfiction of the Month thing that we had for awhile?

Rebellious Treecko
April 15th, 2008, 03:54 PM
I'm curious, though, and too impatient to endure lagging. What's the fic rec thread like? Is it like the Fanfiction of the Month thing that we had for awhile?

I lurked moar on SPPF a week ago...
I think you talk about good fics that you've read and reccomend others to read them too. Kinda simple.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™
April 15th, 2008, 04:36 PM
Problem with the fic recommendation thread, any noob can recommend their buddy's equally noobish, error-ridden, Sue-infested fic (there's one thread on the lagger where one person did exactly that in addition to shamelessly plugging their own fic) Granted, noobs are MUCH less a concern over here, but still. Maybe if the poster has to EXPLAIN why said fic should be recommended, that'll scare off the noobs...

I'd agree on the beta thread, though. Perhaps separating shipping fics as well, because the only shipping I deal with involves big rigs...

Saffire Persian
April 15th, 2008, 04:39 PM
P

I'm curious, though, and too impatient for lagging. What's the fic rec thread like? Is it like the Fanfiction of the Month thing that we had for awhile?

Basically, before it got unstickified on Serebii for Mew Knows Why, it was a thread where people would post and link to the fanfictions they liked, and they didn't necessarily have to be on the forum itself, or even pokémon related (though 95% were, though). It was just a nice way to find good stories to read.

This place could also have a sub-forum for shipping fics like SPPF, as well as the completed fics forum. (Poke shippers will take over the world someday)

Forgive me for disagreeing, but we don't seem to have enough of a base to create a shipping fanfiction subforum, IMO. I do agree on the completed fics, but the fanfiction archive is kinda that--we could move FFoTM and completed fics over there.

Orange_Flaaffy
April 15th, 2008, 04:39 PM
Here I go with my vauge submissions. 8(

I mostly agree with Jax and Saff on the beta-reader thread(s)
I'm not sure if we'll need fic reccomendation thread at PC thoguh. This place is kinda small, so some good fics probably won't be that hard to find. On the other hand...I don't know.
I might think of more stuff later

I really don't think the fanfic section honestly is active enough to have any sub-forums centered around one type of fic. If one gets one then next everyone else will want one for OT fics etc.
I'd just be happy if there was a way to get more reviewers here..
I know that has been brought up a million times before though, so I'll just keep it to myself :)...
I think Fanfic of the month should come back :)

Gummy
April 15th, 2008, 06:14 PM
I brought this up with CWTA,P when he was still mod, so now it's your turn to deal with me. Okay, so I was thinking, maybe we should have a sub-forum for completed fan fics. The archive is already filled with FFotM (which we have to find someway to restart) and since a completed fic doesn't always imply it has good quality, you might not want to use that sub-forum. No one deserves to word hard on something, just so it can sink to the double-digit pages of the section.

Astinus
April 15th, 2008, 06:43 PM
Gumdrops, you actually hit one of my ideas. I want to do something where the completed fics go, so that way they aren't lost. Because that's a real shame. (I never knew why FFotM was called the "Archive", since that would fit better as the name of a Completed Fics forum.)

Saff, I remember the Author Profiles page. It was good to find fics written by a particular person, so if you liked one person's writing style, you could just go to that thread. And the Compilation...that was a good way to find fics based on genre. Both were good.

On the Fanfiction Recommendation Thread, the solution as to what fics would go in would require more work on me. Basically, the idea that suddenly popped into my mind is that there would be a thread that only I (or whatever moderator harhar) post in, and people PM me fics that they recommend. If the fic is a n00by spam fic, it won't go into the thread. But, I mean, if the fic is good and the person gives me good reasons as to why the fic is good, then that should work.

And yeah, there's such a lack of shipping fics that they don't deserve their own sub-forum. But maybe with a compilation thread, we could have a genre of romance, and the shipping fics could go there. :/

Completely agree. :D

bobandbill
April 18th, 2008, 01:30 AM
Completely agree. :D
Cough... why not a reviewers thread? Baically, a thread for people willing to review fics, getting posts on their style and what they review, and have people be able to PM the reviewer if they want him/her to look at their fic. There's one on Serebii (or, the lagger as it seems to be called), works well I fic, but would need enough people who have time... could be merged or work adjectently to a beta reading thread.

Do thinks a archive thread would be nice, and some of the other ideas floated around I also agree. Think this place is a tad small for separate sections (i.e. shipping) - and they are easy to find anyway...

EmeraldSky
April 18th, 2008, 05:19 AM
I wouldn't mind a reviewer thread, since the best way to get reviews is to review some work yourself

JX Valentine
April 18th, 2008, 07:54 AM
To add to the reviewer idea, I do like the concept of a reviewer thread. We could possibly work it into the beta thread -- or we can have it separate (to allow anyone to participate in the reviewer thread).

Farla on FFNet actually has an incredible system of reviewing that doesn't seem to be alive on FFNet but could, for an actual forum full of writers who really want reviews (judging by the fic advertisement thread), potentially be incredibly active. The system is here (http://www.fanfiction.net/fr/886950/13430/862140/1/), and to explain it in short, someone who wants a review for their story reviews five fics on a list before he can post a link to his own work (which will then be added to the list once he's finished reviewing his share). That way, every story that's added to the list eventually gets at least one review because the other participants are obligated to review X number of fics before they can even post their own work for the firing squad.

Orange_Flaaffy
April 18th, 2008, 09:50 AM
Couldn't a fic still be skipped over that way if a reviewer can pick any five before them? :\

JX Valentine
April 18th, 2008, 10:46 AM
Couldn't a fic still be skipped over that way if a reviewer can pick any five before them? :\

It could, but you would still have a likelihood of being reviewed compared to taking a risk with PMing someone (and possibly never getting a response). Not to mention it encourages the "you review mine; I'll review yours" philosophy. Additionally, something I didn't mention as well is that after a story receives five reviews, it's retired from the list until the writer submits five more reviews to put it back on. That way, we won't have an uber long list, which means the chances that you'll get a review will be kept reasonable.

The other option that's been put on the table of having a profile thread that enables users to PM someone to ask a review might work if the above isn't workable (considering people PM each other about reviewing their work anyway), except that there's still a couple of problems that you might encounter with that system:

1. A lack of responses to said PMs.
2. A closed feeling, as if you have to apply to the reviewer profile thread in order to review, rather than participate in an open trade.

Astinus
April 18th, 2008, 12:23 PM
It does seem like an idea that would work. Besides, I'm sure I've seen a few people want to do the idea of "you review me, I'll review you". I'll have to think about it more while I'm in work.

Are there any threads that y'all have thought of that could be combined, where the two are similar enough that they could go together?

Jak
April 18th, 2008, 02:01 PM
I'll agree on the Reviewers Thread. I'd be willing to be a part of that.

Anyway, aside from additions, I say a subtraction of the Bin. Most of the fics that get put in there, the authors never seem to return, never work on that fic again, start a new fic, etc. Pointless, really.

Although, I must say I get a laugh at some of those crappy stories. Mean, but true.

Avey
April 29th, 2008, 04:14 PM
I brought this up with CWTA,P when he was still mod, so now it's your turn to deal with me. Okay, so I was thinking, maybe we should have a sub-forum for completed fan fics. The archive is already filled with FFotM (which we have to find someway to restart) and since a completed fic doesn't always imply it has good quality, you might not want to use that sub-forum. No one deserves to word hard on something, just so it can sink to the double-digit pages of the section.

What did Careful With That Axe, Pichu say to you about it?

Anyways, I agree with everything so far; the beta reader's line, author's profile thread, the completed fan fic's sub-forum, the fan fic reccommendation thread and the reviewing thread as they all seem like fine ideas.

Scytheteen
May 3rd, 2008, 08:01 PM
I vote for a new moderator; dis 1 sux.

...nya

Anyway, I really would like to see FotM come back, or something similar to that. A completed fics archive would be awesome, or some one-shot or fanfic that really speaks a message should be put in there. It's just a shame that someone works so hard to complete their story, and then it gets lost in a sea of n00bish fics about Misty x Ash shipping. ;;

Post Office Buddy
May 3rd, 2008, 08:21 PM
You know, I like the Beta-reader thread/reviewer thread a lot. I enjoy reading and helping people with their fictions and have been working with a few people on this for a week or two. I would like the opportunity to review fics people actually PM me for help on. I tend to skip many fics because of unoriginal names, and putting this into place may break down the barriers that some reviewers face.

I've been reviewing fictions for the last month or so, and only three people have actually PMed me for help. The rest I have just gone in and helped them fix the major errors in. I try not to point out the obscure unless I know they want the real deal and not some milked review. So yeah, I would appreciate more people requesting reviews.

Alter Ego
May 4th, 2008, 01:16 AM
Thirding the motion for a new mod; let's put Yamato-san in charge

Well, personally I think we could combine profiles and review requests in a way. As in, you add fields to the profile where you can state whether your up for reviewing and/or betaing. That way, you can just go to the thread and scroll through the willing and available reviewers there and take your pick. With a list of their own writing in the same profile, you can also get an idea of what kind of writer the reviewer him/herself is, which might make the choice of who to ask easier.

Then you could make a genre-wise index of completed fics into another thread, for those who are looking to read. So if you want anything to do with a specific author, go to thread number one, otherwise go to thread number two. Fairly simple, no?

But of course, that's just my take on the situation. :3

Acrutheo
May 20th, 2008, 01:22 AM
Others have touched upon bringing back Fan Fiction of the Month. I'd like that, but I'd like to suggest a way in which it would be done. Firstly, I don't think those fics should be moved to another forum (especially not one labeled "archive"), because, quite simply, they don't need to be. If you want to show recognition, then possibly a good way would be to sticky the thread for the month in which it reigns the Fan Fiction of the Month? A bit like they do in the hacking section for Hack of the Year.

Furthermore, Fan Fiction of the Month could also include other things, such as Reviewer of the Month, Character of the Month, etc. If Fan Fiction of the Month doesn't see enough activity, perhaps extend it to a longer period of time - say, Fan Fiction of the Season, or even Fanfiction of the Year, if needed?

I'd also like to express my full support for Jax Malcolm's post suggesting the reviews-for-reviews thread. That would be an excellent way to increase reviews, which would have a two-way positive effect: the increase in the quality of fics and the increase in activity here.

Astinus
June 28th, 2008, 06:44 PM
Bumping because I can. So stu-foo.

I'm on vacation this week from work, which means that I'll be really really really really bored. So I decided to actually follow through with some of these ideas.

The Beta thread is getting it's own thread, since that's kinda different from the others, and also, I was thinking that those who want betas would post in the thread. And stuff. And I suck at explaining things, but trust me on this one.

Now the author profile and reviewer finder thing is going together. You'll see how that will be set up when I start that up.

So yeah, these things will now come to pass because I'm bored. ;_____________;

Ninja Caterpie
June 28th, 2008, 07:20 PM
Yay!
A reviewer thread!
Awesome!
but we still need a new mod

I can't think of nothing...xD

JX Valentine
June 28th, 2008, 07:49 PM
I can't think of nothing...xD
[/SIZE][/FONT]

A double negative means a positive! He's got a plethora of ideas!

...Want me to coax it out of him, Astinus, my dear? *holds up whip*

In any case, about the threads, sweet. I'm a little worried about the organization about having beta profiles and beta requests in the same thread (as in, I'm worried that beta profiles will be lost among requests), but I'll trust you and help you test it out. *thumbs up*

Jak
June 28th, 2008, 07:55 PM
Someone's got a lot of time on their hands.

I should welcome you to the great world of nothingness. You can be like me and spend the entire day on PC. Doing what, you ask? Nothing. But I guess being a mod, you can say "I'm busy" and mean it.

...Want me to coax it out of him, Astinus, my dear? *holds up whip*

I'm screenshotting that. Maybe not tonight, but...I will. Just because masochism is the greatest thing to ever hit flesh. That's right--flesh.

As for the reviewer thread...what would we do there again? I'm lazy and don't feel like clicking the back button after hitting 'post quick reply'

Astinus
July 4th, 2008, 03:31 PM
Ha hahahahahahaha...

Forgot.

Anyone have a better idea for the beta thread? A better more organized way to get betas and beta needers?

Help me!

BREAKINGBEN
July 4th, 2008, 03:51 PM
Ha! I finally used the Post reply button instead of a quick reply ^^

I... erm... 15th? the review thread, but I think there should be a way to select certain users who can/cannot use that thread. Those who are "good" at reviewing fics and are well known for it not me should be the ones who can access it. Also, to gain access (outside of the original... 10, maybe?) you can... and I run out of ideas there. Oh! You can review normally on the main board, and if you get A.) A certain number of posts, and/or B.) Your review is good, no matter how n00by the author is, and when you've done that enough, you can review the... crap. This sounds like the Bin all over again ><! I don't know, something along the lines of an author requesting reviews and only good reviewers can respond to it VIA PM or just a normal post.

OH! OH! We should TOTALLY do a n00b author board XD! For those authors in the past whose stories were SOO bad that everyone needs to "LOL" at 'em!! <-- Now that's just mean... but other's standards. Just plain funny to me ^^!

Oh, and talk to Major Payne (http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=63) about Masochism...

bobandbill
July 4th, 2008, 06:49 PM
For the beta thread... maybe just follow how Serebii has it - whenever someone posts offerring their services, their details get put into the first post, which can the the main place to refer to for what beta readers there are... same for those in need - they can be added to the first post, which would serve as a 'beta thread rules' and list on who is a beta, if they are willing to take any more, etc in one.

The betaing-people can also include their strengths and style, so if a person needs a specific type of betareader, it's easier to match up who they need. :)

Astinus
July 16th, 2008, 01:19 PM
Would anybody be interested in helping me with the Beta Thread? I'm following the idea that bobandbill explained, where the details are posted in the first post, so people needing betas don't have to scroll through posts to find the one they want.

What I need from the person who helps me run it is someone who will be responsible enough to pretty much create the thread. They have to be the one who sets it up, starts the thread, and check every post. I'll be there every step of the way, to discuss, answer questions, and update when needed. (Now you see why you need to start the thread?)

The person who gets this job has to responsible. You'll be the one accepting and denying applicants. You'll be updating the thread. And you have to okay with the fact that I am the god mod of this section and will be checking everything that you do, and that I have final say.

Rawr.

Volunteers? Or am I going to have to chase someone down?

bobandbill
July 16th, 2008, 03:53 PM
Well, if you are following the 'idea' which I had (which is simply copying how Serebii has it)... well, I might as well put my hand up for it. PM me da details, Astinus, and we shall discuss. :)

Astinus
September 10th, 2008, 12:20 AM
Bump to the max.

Due to the plethora (I don't think that means what I think it means) of "I have this idea, what do I do with it?" threads that are beginning to clog up this section like dog hair in a shower drain, I'm turning to the members to hear solutions to this. Other forums have "I have this idea, help me!" threads stickied, but this forum is getting clogged up with sticky threads.

So should I make this announcement saying "Ideas in the FFL, please. Your idea isn't that special enough to get its own thread"?

Should there be this thread just for discussing ideas?

Should I ban the talk of new ideas? (My laptop just farted at this one, so I'm guessing this is a last resort.)

Members, speak your minds. Astinus is back, and her name isn't in the dictionary.

Blue Angel
September 10th, 2008, 10:39 AM
Bump to the max.

Due to the plethora (I don't think that means what I think it means) of "I have this idea, what do I do with it?" threads that are beginning to clog up this section like dog hair in a shower drain, I'm turning to the members to hear solutions to this. Other forums have "I have this idea, help me!" threads stickied, but this forum is getting clogged up with sticky threads.

So should I make this announcement saying "Ideas in the FFL, please. Your idea isn't that special enough to get its own thread"?

Should there be this thread just for discussing ideas?

Should I ban the talk of new ideas? (My laptop just farted at this one, so I'm guessing this is a last resort.)

Members, speak your minds. Astinus is back, and her name isn't in the dictionary.

I think there should be a thread for discussing ideas of this type.
Maybe one person asks for help with their story, they get a reply from someone else with a problem, but they have to help the one above before they can ask for help.

Does that make any sense?

(Doesn't mean you are limited to just helping the person above, but you have to do at least the person above, then you can move on to others who need help OR ask for help with your idea)

txteclipse
September 10th, 2008, 10:55 AM

You used "plethora" correctly, and I like that first option the best. People won't clog up the forums with a bunch of threads, and they will probably get more exposure anyways.

JX Valentine
September 10th, 2008, 10:58 AM
You know, the odd thing is that I think the FFL is pretty much for this purpose -- to ask about uncertainties concerning ideas. For example, remember that time someone asked if it was right to kill off a self-insert or something along those lines? So, yeah, the FFL could definitely handle the "I have this idea for a fanfiction. Is it any good?" topic. Not to mention people have used the FFL for that purpose once or twice within the past month, and they really did get more of a response than the individual threads that got all of five people all saying, "For the last time, yes, you can write that."

Besides, I think we're running out of one-liner general questions in the FFL anyway. How many have we repeated in the past month or so?

An-chan
October 6th, 2008, 01:00 PM
People don't read rules and it's really annoying.
Being a noob is not an excuse. I know that, because I am one or at least were a while ago. It never stopped me from reading the rules. Those damn rules that tell a few important things like "no one-liner reviews" or "no crappy fics without a even a proper first chapter and no grammar whatsoever".
You know, these are the best big forums I've ever seen, and that's mostly because the wonderful mods here. Yeah, the mods who behave like crazy nazis. That's the way it has to be if you want to maintain a certain level of decentness and intelligence in a place like this. I have nothing against noobs, but it's a good thing to let them know that if they break the rules, the mods will come and whip their sore butts off of this messageboard. Isn't it? *innocent smile*

As I am sick of the one-liner reviews that have no content to them, I came up with an idea to get more people to read the rules. Maybe. At least it would be very interesting.
Say, if we had two "rules"-threads: one that's titled "Rules: Obey or Be Banned for Eternity and Beyond" or something as dramatic and the other one with the title "Writing Contest! Real prices!" or something as tempting. The first one would have the neatly presented set of rules like before, and the other one would have the most important ones in a huge, red font. You know, so no-one can't say they didn't know. It would be fun to know which one had more views!
Of course this is just a funny idea and nothing more... ;)

I vote "yes" for any kind of "Fanfic of the Month/Season/Year/Indefinite period of time"-system to be revived! I have enjoyed the FFotM archive, no matter how ancient it is. So, I think it's a good idea adn should be revived, but maybe in a less troublesome way, if you will.

Oh, and I also vote "yes" for any system that can increase the amount of reviews given and gotten. I'm ready to review anything, as long as it's not about spelling!
Please ignore all the spelling mistakes I made while writing this. It would be far too ironic. I really am no good at spelling.

Gummy
October 6th, 2008, 01:40 PM
I've noticed a lot of of "how do you like my plot/characters?" threads lately which got me thinking, maybe we should have an official thread where people can put their ideas to be commented on by other members. I don't think the FFL is the best place to post ideas, as with all the the topics and random conversations floating around, someone's post might get overlooked.

Astinus
October 6th, 2008, 08:39 PM
Actually, An-chan, before you joined, I used to have a rapidly changing title for the rules thread. They were all sorts of different things that struck me at the time. I think one time I had "Read to avoid mental torture" or something like that.

One problem is, though, that the Powers-that-be really didn't approve of those titles, and they had to go. Which was a shame, because that was when the rules thread got a lot of hits because no one knew what the thread was when titled "Steak sauce!"

I might have to rethink my policy on one-liners, especially if I begin to hear more complaints about them.

And yes, Gummy, the FFL has changed from what it was originally created to be. It first started out to fill the same purpose of the current Fanfiction Announcement Thread, then it was the "I have a plot and I need help!" Now it's just what the title calls for it to be: a "lounge" for the authors to get together. I'll think about a new thread to be for the specific purpose of "I'm stuck with my plot. Help me so I can't credit you!"

I'll think about things.

An-chan
October 13th, 2008, 02:37 PM
Now that I think of it, a separate section for finished fanfics would be nice. With the current amount of crappy fanfics spawning around the section, any proper fic could easily get lost under the heaps of new fics, just to be locked due to bumping later on. I think that's a shame. All decent, well-written finished fics should be transferred to another section, where bumping, of course, would be fully admitted so people could add their praise to the end of those fics. And somehow you should prevent people from making any threads there. It could work, right?

Then there's only one problem. Would anyone read them?

I still think it's an idea that should be taken into consideration. I don't remember who proposed this earlier on this thread, but it's a great idea. At least I think so.