PDA

View Full Version : Continua (AKA bewildering discussion)

Luphinid Silnaek
April 28th, 2008, 07:24 AM
I think this topic can go on these forums.

For some time I have found it quite reasonable, given the limitations on this universe, to accept that infinity is impossible within our existence. I have been content in using arguments like as the universe has been expanding at a non-infinite rate for a non-infinite amount of time it is a finite size, and so on. However, continua (plural of continuum, of course) have been tormenting me. The continuum of the spectrum of light (or, more generally, the spectrum of energy carried by a particle or wave) can be proven easily to be discontinuous: there are a finite number of particles in this universe, meaning that there are a finite number of amounts of energy. This means that even if they add or subtract with each other, they can only combine to form a finite number of amounts of combinations. (For example, if there are four particles with even numbers of units of energy, you can never have an odd or fractional number of units of energy, which means that the possible energy states are limited and finite.)

My arguments agaonst the existence of continua, however, cannot combat the basic space-time continuum. There is no limit to how far you can slice a portion of space or time, or what sort of irrational number of units of distance you can travel. Does this mean infinity does exist in the universe? Does it mean only that infinity results in irrational ways of thinking and therefore should be disregarded, like god in a scientific debate? Anyone want to contribute their thoughts?

♣Gawain♣
April 28th, 2008, 04:40 PM
The only thing that infinity exist to me is numbers, which wil never end. The fate of the universe depends on the density of the total mass, if the mass is greater than the com. density, the universe will colapse. Otherwise the universe will be infinitely expanding. Got the point?

Luphinid Silnaek
April 29th, 2008, 02:49 AM
The only thing that infinity exist to me is numbers, which wil never end.

Except numbers exist in our theoretical mathematics, and not in the actual universe.

The fate of the universe depends on the density of the total mass, if the mass is greater than the com. density, the universe will colapse. Otherwise the universe will be infinitely expanding. Got the point?

I was actually bringing up the point of any sort of infinity, not only the size of the universe. I suppose this could be sort of weakly predicted if one made a definite answer to the question of "Does infinity exist?"

bna_li
April 29th, 2008, 09:15 PM
This thread is too deep for anyone to reply too. See?

Luphinid Silnaek
April 30th, 2008, 12:43 AM
I do not believe so. I cannot believe that only my penchant for large and arcane-sounding words could scare away everyone. If you're being so sardonic, don't you have something to say?

*cradles head between hands* I... see... nothing...

bna_li
April 30th, 2008, 02:44 AM
I don't understand what you're saying.. I doubt the majority of the 13 year olds on this site do either.

I wasn't trying to be funny or anything, that was what I truly believed. I dunno what sardonic means either. Don't flame me please.

Jaimes
April 30th, 2008, 07:04 AM
I do not believe so. I cannot believe that only my penchant for large and arcane-sounding words could scare away everyone. I wouldn't solely blame your vocabulary, using your 'finite number of particles' as an example, the context of your first post seemed to surpass the level of what the average user of this site believes about the cosmos... partially because people don't care whats out there (besides the prospects of little green men).

Regarding whether infinity exists, in terms of time, then I believe so. Time is also a measure (comparable numbers) and regardless of how far ahead or back you think about it, you can always go further. Whether time stops or will expire, is impossible to tell, though I can't think of any plausible explanations if this would happen.
Similarly with space, though this could mean there are potentially an infinite amount of other planets, civilisations and lifeforms existing - and with that in mind, does make the prospect somewhat doubtable. Though unless space has formed a neverending rounded structure, I cannot imagine how space would also come to a halt.

Screw it. This thread just depresses me ¬_¬

peirateis
April 30th, 2008, 08:33 AM
I'm totally gonna get bashed for being a 'non-scientific' Jesus freak. Oh well.

I think that the concept of any physical (earthly) continuum is irrelevant to reality for one simple reason: our concept of both 'time' and 'space' are merely elements to make humanity comfortable in its obsolete nature. The only reason God can not be a part of any 'scientific' discussion is because the concept of any god reaches far beyond the ideas we have of anything.

Back to my answer, I guess I believe that infinity is impossible in our present state.