PDA

View Full Version : Platinum Berlitz?

seven_x
May 13th, 2008, 11:14 AM
Alright, so if the rumors are true (which I think by now they have been confirmed to be just that)... does this mean Berlitz's name is going to be Platinum? Because it's not hard to see that compared to Diamond and Pearl, it is most definetely not a name suiting a girl.

... Of course, the same could be said about Ruby and Emerald being the names of boys, but I disgress.

So what are your thoughts guys? Will they shorten it to "Platina" or something like that, or just let the girl have a very ungirl name?

Maxim
May 13th, 2008, 11:32 AM
Her name IS Platina, because the Japanese word for Platinum is プラチナ (Purachina), which is a transcription of Portuguese word Platina, not English world "Platinum".

In other words, in Japanese her name IS Platina. In English, it'll most likely be changed to Platinum.

But by now, I think we should call her Platina.

minakichan
May 13th, 2008, 11:56 AM
*_* Platina Berlitz... That's a really pretty name!

lucawesome
May 13th, 2008, 12:15 PM
Totally, I couldn't agree more.

Cobalt36
May 13th, 2008, 05:55 PM
I dunno...Platinum "Platina" Berlitz... sounds like her parents hated her a bunch...lol

Mileyangel
May 13th, 2008, 07:09 PM
I dunno...Platinum "Platina" Berlitz... sounds like her parents hated her a bunch...lol

Lol! Like one of those "mistake" kids....

Well, at least we have an idea of what her name is.

Donna
May 14th, 2008, 10:00 AM
Hmm I think the name suits her. Platina sounds very rich.. Well atleast no more 'Miss. Berlitz'

minakichan
May 14th, 2008, 03:49 PM

I think that you can't even say that, considering we have boys in this series called "Ruby" and "Pearl."

Idiot!
May 14th, 2008, 11:42 PM
Her name, like any real Japanese name, will start with the family name. Therefore, her name is Berlitz Platina without translation.

minakichan
May 15th, 2008, 03:39 PM
Her name, like any real Japanese name, will start with the family name. Therefore, her name is Berlitz Platina without translation.

There isn't necessarily any reason to believe she's Japanese. Berlitz is a European name.

When Japanese people actually refer to Westerners, they do call them the name with Western order; for example, Bush is ALWAYS George Bush and never Bush George. (Likewise, no one refers to Jackie as "Walker Jack.") Ironically, Westerners rarely return the respect, so we always refer to Hayao Miyazaki instead of the other way around.

Tsuin
May 15th, 2008, 10:05 PM
Platina has a rather nice ring to it, but Platinum really just doesn't suit her...they shouldn't change it in translation (though I know they probably will).

Idiot!
May 15th, 2008, 11:42 PM
I am 99% sure her name is Berlitz Platina untranslated. Because at Roxanne's test, Sapphire registered her family name first as well.

Cobalt36
May 16th, 2008, 03:03 PM
I think that you can't even say that, considering we have boys in this series called "Ruby" and "Pearl."
lol, yeah. I'm not totally sure, but i think that we have some artists in Japan with questionable sexuality...
Anyway, still hate Platina.

The Hero Without a Name
May 20th, 2008, 06:50 PM
True that... I'm gonna name my character that once I get Platinum version =D

shiraume
May 20th, 2008, 07:32 PM
Platina Berlitz. It suits her, sort of. At least it isn't as bad as DIA. Gotta laugh at that one.

GunSaberSeraph
May 20th, 2008, 07:56 PM
Platina's a good name, a better name for her would've been Madison (Madison Berlitz) but the rules say that the characters have to be given terrible names corresponding to Colors/Metals/Stones/Gems etc.

shiraume
May 20th, 2008, 08:37 PM
Wonder what the next batch of trainers will be named after? Come to think of it, there hasn't been a white or a black or a gray yet, has there?

yeo101
May 21st, 2008, 10:34 PM
Platina Berlitz......it sounds okay..but its kinda weird. But then again, consider ppl like Ruby, Emrald, Diamond and Pearl.....

red king
May 22nd, 2008, 06:01 AM
yeah name for the character were going down hill when the third generation came not much we can do

VideoFan9864
May 28th, 2008, 08:05 PM
You all talk about pokemon way to much, at least talk about me. *smirk*

UM THIS IS A POKEMON FORUM AFTER ALL. Stop hogging all the attention and post something useful. If you really want to talk about yourself then make your own thread.

Reniko_Seika
May 28th, 2008, 10:32 PM
'Platinum', maybe not, I can't see it as her name. Platina has more of a feminine touch to it, something I would see as possilbe name for her