PDA

View Full Version : Pokemon or pocket monsters?

Milke
May 15th, 2008, 03:59 PM
Which do you prefer to call them?

diamondpearl876
May 15th, 2008, 04:29 PM
When I hear pocket monsters I just think of, well, jeans. >_> With pockets.

Pokémon for me.

solopy567
May 15th, 2008, 05:26 PM
Pokemon, Pocket Monsters is ususally found on bootlegged games so it reminds me of dake games

Phanima
May 15th, 2008, 05:30 PM
'Pokemon''s been publicised heaps in the West and where I live, people associate the word with immaturity or something only kids are interested in. That's why I prefer 'Pocket Monsters', plus it makes the series seem even more cute than it already is~

I do say Pokemon though, since its easier. ;P

ErickaVolt
May 15th, 2008, 10:50 PM
Actually the original name of Pokemon is Pocket Monster. But Pokemon is just only a an abbreviation or shortcut name. But Pokemon would be the best name for Pokemon.

Aqua Mudkip
May 15th, 2008, 10:51 PM
Aqua Mudkip/Akua Mizugourou: I like calling them by their Japanese names. Like: Pokettomon or Poketto Monsutta. It sounds adorable no? :D

Superjub
May 16th, 2008, 01:09 PM
I usually call them Pokémon though i do think Pocket Monsters sounds so much more kawaii :D

Olly
May 16th, 2008, 01:25 PM
I prefer Pokémon since it's what I'm used to :)

Acrutheo
May 16th, 2008, 01:28 PM
I'm just used to Pokemon because that's mainly how it's been marketed here. Calling it "Pocket Monsters" would feel a bit strange to me.

Cassino
May 16th, 2008, 03:32 PM
Where's the Pogeymanz option? :0

Neh, well I just use the term "Pokemon" (usually without the diatrical mark above the E, simply because people should be able to read a simple Japanese franchise name anyway...) since everyone knows it, and it's the easiest and fastest to type/write/say.

World King
May 16th, 2008, 04:20 PM
I've never gotten used to calling them "Pocket Monsters", mostly because I first learned to call them "Pokémon", so...

Pokémon is better to as how I name them.

Anty
May 16th, 2008, 04:41 PM
I say Pokemon. Pocket Monsters just sounds weird. And when I hear Pocket Monsters, It doesn't sound like Pokemon. Thought it was just some other game. :)

Moana Kai
May 16th, 2008, 04:51 PM
Pokemon all the way, no chance about it, if I hear pocket monsters I just scream, HHAA!

raging lion
May 17th, 2008, 05:23 AM
Pokemon is my choice, Pocket Monsters sound so weird.

BakingBluePotatoe
May 17th, 2008, 11:22 PM
since people think I'm crazy as it is, I just say "Pokemon" cuz it's the "right" way here in America... though, honestly, I can go either way.

For Example, I'd much rather say "ganbatte! Lizardon!" as opposed to, "Get 'em, Charizard!"

though, some of the names in Japanese are a little... strange:

"fukkatsu, Lizardon! ganbatte, Kamex!"

We go from and awesome name like Lizardon to an odd name like KAMEX? o_O

~~~~~

BUT, between "Pokemon" and "Pocket Monsters/Pokketo Monsuta", it's a tie.

Katsu Koneko
May 17th, 2008, 11:32 PM
^ I feel the same way as ~KiTsUnE. xDD

Where's the "both" choice? xD

Toblerone
May 18th, 2008, 12:24 AM
I definitely call it Pokémon. Pocket Monsters sounds, well, you know, a bit strange..

Motsuko Live
May 18th, 2008, 02:28 AM
I certainly prefer to call it Pokemon, for a couple of reasons.

a) That's what I grew up with. When you've been calling them "Pokemon" since about 1997, you kind of pick up a habit =P

b) Pocket Monsters sounds so... lame! Say it a couple times out loud (make sure no ones around, first xD)
Does it not sound kind of stupid.
"Go, Gallade! My awesome Pocket Monster!" << BLECK!

I think calling them Pokemon is what most people prefer (no offence to anyone who calls them Pocket Monsters)

Jeshi-chan
May 18th, 2008, 03:32 AM
Pokémon is better ^^

I don't like how Pocket Monster sounds -.-

PikachuEX
May 18th, 2008, 05:17 PM
Pokemon, 'cause they also use it in Japan.
though, some of the names in Japanese are a little... strange:

"fukkatsu, Lizardon! ganbatte, Kamex!"

We go from and awesome name like Lizardon to an odd name like KAMEX?O.o
And some are exactly the same like Raikou, which is constantly pronouced wrong, or Giratina or Pikachu.

icomeanon6
May 18th, 2008, 05:48 PM
I'd say Pokemon simply because that's how I first heard it, it's all about nostalgia. Not to mention, "Pocket Monster" just doesn't roll off the tongue as well.

MetalMEB
May 19th, 2008, 01:21 PM
Pokemon, just like everyone else. Its easier to say, and I'm used to it. And when I say "Pokemon" people will always know what I'm talking about.

Meh, saying Pocket Monsters is kinda weird to me... (No offense to anyone who says it.)

airconditioning
May 19th, 2008, 01:53 PM
Aqua Mudkip/Akua Mizugourou: I like calling them by their Japanese names. Like: Pokettomon or Poketto Monsutta. It sounds adorable no? :D

Actually, no, because that isn't Japanese. That's poorly spoken English ground through a thick Japanese accent.

Anyway, I say Pokemanz. Pokemon is stupid, so I treat it as such. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v634/Gamerman/Image%20Macros/yelwacko.gif

CharmUp!
May 19th, 2008, 02:54 PM
I prefer calling it "Pocket Monsters", and for other people to call it that when speaking. Why? Because it seems to me, people seem to have forgotten that there's a é in the word.

People, and me, typing Pokemon (which I don't add a é in when I type. Irony lol) on the internet is no big deal though - it's much less of a hassle to type then typing Pocket Monsters every time.

Ayano Katagiri
May 19th, 2008, 10:23 PM
"Pocket Monsters" just sounds plain weird to me... it doesn't sound good at all. However... with the Japanese accent "Pokketto Monsutaa" is kinda stuck in my head after watching all those "Gurando suponsaa no tenkyou de okurishimashita" parts. XD

So... I prefer Pokemon or Pokketto Monsutaa over Pocket Monsters.

CharmUp!
May 20th, 2008, 06:09 AM
However... with the Japanese accent "Pokketto Monsutaa" is kinda stuck in my head after watching all those "Gurando suponsaa no tenkyou de okurishimashita" parts. XDI admit, the same thing's happened to me from time to time.

Except, the pronunciation gets stuck in my head more because of the episode previews rather than the sponsorship credits. :P

Binary
May 20th, 2008, 08:53 AM
I say pokemon.
Pocket Monsters sounds wierd. And besides, Pokemon is short and sweet.

GreenStorm
May 20th, 2008, 01:31 PM
Pokemon for me. To me, Pocket Monsters doesn't even sound like Pokemon. I really don't know anyone who calls it Pocket Monsters.

Jorah
May 20th, 2008, 01:38 PM
However... with the Japanese accent "Pokketto Monsutaa" is kinda stuck in my head after watching all those "Gurando suponsaa no tenkyou de okurishimashita" parts. XD

So... I prefer Pokemon or Pokketto Monsutaa over Pocket Monsters.

Oh, that's happened to me, too! Pokketto Monsutaa sounds really cool.

When I think of Pokemon, I think of cute and cool little animals, when I think of Pocket Monsters, I think big ugly monsters. Funny, the effect a name can have.

Jack_Maddocks
May 20th, 2008, 02:03 PM
I call it Pocket Monsters as I like the oringional better.

Firebird306
May 20th, 2008, 02:11 PM
I hadn't even heard of the term 'Pokketto Monsutaa' until right now and 'Pocket Monsters' sounds strange and too childish compared to 'Pokemon'. XD So obviously I call it 'Pokemon'. ^^