PDA

View Full Version : Is Pokemon becoming really girly?

NitroZ3R0
May 28th, 2008, 04:12 PM
I dont watch the tv series anymore but I took a peak at the diamond/pearl series and even watched some of the newer movies like the one with Manaphy and to be honest I think pokemon is being directed at little girls now..

For example all they talk about in the new series are things like being loving and caring towards pokemon and ive noticed battles have also been rarer, pokemon contests are apparently just as important as gym battles now too and all they do in those things is make pretty light shows with attacks that were ment for battling.

Don't even get me started on the movies they put out these days, the stories are pretty pathetic and I felt like going to sleep half way through the Manaphy one and Darkrai one.. its just embarrasing to watch. SERIOUSLY its like on the same level as a barbie movie or something with legendary pokemon thrown in as helpless babies that have to be rescued (arent they ment to be powerfull?)..

Another thing ive noticed is with the new generation of pokemon, mostly all of them are cuddly and soft looking which makes it hard to believe these things are suppost to fight. Even their colour schemes are very femenin and pale which is weird when you compare them to the older ones.

Ok ive finally got that off my chest.
Thanks

LaurenLOVESTONED
May 28th, 2008, 04:19 PM
uhm. no. i can't say i agree at all. the new pokemon being girly? they're all overly muscular, ugly sprites with darker colouring like yamna, weaville and magmortar for example, how are they at all feminine? i can guarantee you if you count of the 'girly' sprites and the non-girly ones, the muscular meathead like pokemon would pull some pretty high numbers as of the whole being 'loving and caring towards pokemon' which series or movie isn't about that? seriously, name one. they all involve being loyal, kind and respectful to pokemon. thats the idea!

Snivi
May 28th, 2008, 04:22 PM
I think Pokemon is geared towards both sexes.

Dark Flare
May 28th, 2008, 04:25 PM
pokemon being girly no way punk!

Azonic
May 28th, 2008, 05:12 PM
In my opinion, Pokemon is neither boyish or girly. It isn't directed towards a specific sex. Pokemon is a TV show that aims for children / adults of all ages, and they must keep the shows that are being aired age-appropriate for the little ones. This will involve lessons being taught throughout the majority of the Pokemon episodes. The Manaphy movie just shows us the strong bonds that humans and other creatures can share with one another, and how hard it can be to make a desicion involving love. I highly disagree with the comment about the new Pokemon being more feminine than the previous ones. Take a look at Darkrai, Yanmega, Hippowdon, and Gliscor. They all look extremely fierce and strong, one quality that being "girly" would not usually have. I could possibly state more examples, but it appears as if I have already made my point.

Houndoom666
May 28th, 2008, 05:37 PM
Girly? Nah.
But I do hate it when you have these people that are all like, "Ohh look he/she likes pokemon, That is a little kids show" and "That show is gay"
Then u try to explain why its not and they just keep getting more and more people 2 agree with them. It gets sooo >:(

Hazuki
May 28th, 2008, 06:53 PM
Don't use "girls" as an insult! D:

I wouldn't say so because you see, it's supposed to be treating Pokemon nicely, as in doing the same to other people in our world? I mean if you think of Pokemon being all bloody and violent and stuff, it just would kill the whole thing. So if you are hoping for a more bloodier and violent Pokemon series, it probably won't happen. And besides it is targeted to children anyway.

airconditioning
May 28th, 2008, 07:32 PM
Treating Pokemon nicely? That's been around since the first movie.

Also,
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj137/SNK575/garchomp.jpg

I dare you to call that girly.

GunSaberSeraph
May 28th, 2008, 09:10 PM
I've never considered Pokemon girly or boyish. It's all just Pokemon to me. While Contest are sort of more geared towards girls, there are boys like Drew(and sometimes Ash) who participate in them.

Oh, there have always been cutish looking Pokemon (i.e. 2gen babies) but a majority o them look more masculine( i dare you to tell Giratina that it looks innocent and girly)

Acrutheo
May 29th, 2008, 12:08 AM
"Girly" is a matter of perspective. Some new pokemon definitely don't seem "girly" to me, and some kind of do. It's all a matter of perspective: personally, I think the series is reasonably gender-neutral.

Storm-DC
May 29th, 2008, 02:25 AM
you're just getting older while pokemon stays the same

#Gecko#
May 29th, 2008, 04:15 PM
Pokemon girlish... Right... The only thing I agree with you is how boring the Manaphy movie was. But it wasn't girlish or guylish or anything like that.

xiraiya
May 29th, 2008, 06:44 PM
I have to agree something about pokemon has changed, I don't really see it as being more girly, i think "most" of the new pokemon are just annoyances that I know i'll have to run around and catch against my will.

Also, I'm not a huge fan of the newer movies, the first Mewtwo ones were really fun to watch, even today, it was just "pretty" dark for pokemon and entertaining, the movie about Luga and the legendary birds was pretty good too.

Skaterzpenguin
May 29th, 2008, 07:17 PM
Pokemon never seemed girly to me ever, but I have to say the cartoon series can be childish. lol

airconditioning
May 29th, 2008, 07:20 PM
it was just "pretty" dark for pokemon

lol no. Ash was revived by THE TEARS OF ALL THE SADDENED POKEMON after everyone learned that OH HAY GUIZ FIGHTAN IS WRONG. That is NOT 'dark'.

Motsuko Live
May 30th, 2008, 02:10 AM
Well, obviously an angry group of soccer-moms with a twig shoved up their a-... *ahem* "bum"... sideways beeched at Nintendo for probably cartoon violence or something stupid like that. While Nintendo couldn't get rid of all the cartoon violence, they decided to make it less violent... or, in your words "girly".

Yes, I know... it is pretty dumb, but what else can you do but sit back and watch xD

(btw, this probably isn't what happened. Just something that seems pretty logical to me.)

LaurenLOVESTONED
May 30th, 2008, 02:12 AM
lol no. Ash was revived by THE TEARS OF ALL THE SADDENED POKEMON after everyone learned that OH HAY GUIZ FIGHTAN IS WRONG. That is NOT 'dark'.

rofl. i love that scene..

Avey
May 30th, 2008, 02:25 AM
Yes, because girls are interested in mass destruction and huge battles between magicals beasts. Not saying they aren't, I just think that it appeals to both sexes, not just girls. Actually, I'd say more boys liked it when it first came out.

Horizon
May 30th, 2008, 02:31 AM
I would disagree also and say it is aimed at both genders. I agree, I don't watch the anime any more because I find some of the stuff in it to be cringeworthy, frankly. Which is why I like to differenciate the show from the games. If you told somebody you liked Pokemon, would they or would they not instantly presume you mean the TV show?

Unlike when I was younger, the games no longer appeal me because "ZAMG IZ POGEYMANS MUST BUY", it's the mental thought and the like that goes into training and battling competitively. The show just seems to be girly because the show is aimed at small children, and some of the stuff would appeal to you if you were that age.

As for cuddly and soft Pokémon, they have to implement cute Pokemon and tough-looking Pokémon for that specific reason: both genders. Girls will like the cute Pokémon such as Piplup and the likes, whereas the boys will see Garchomp and think: WOOOOOOOOW.

AutumnLeafeon
May 30th, 2008, 03:09 AM
I don't think its pointed at a certain sex because lots of my friends that are girls still watch/play pokemon

Toblerone
May 30th, 2008, 03:37 AM
Pokémon is still aimed at both genders, that's what i think. But i do agree (kind of) that it's starting to become "more girly", but that doesn't really matter right? It can still be aimed at both genders.

Gold Tom
May 30th, 2008, 04:28 AM
While I hate to admit it, it is becoming quite girly.

Jorah
May 30th, 2008, 05:52 AM
OH NOES! not gurlzz! tehere, r moer pink frillz an dawn wheres a dress adn jigglypuff maek me teh gay!!

you're just getting older while pokemon stays the same

When something is immature, it makes it "girly"...?

Y'know, this thread is quite insulting. Not only is it saying that you can't like the Pokemon that are "girly" (which is just a social construct, anyway...pink used to be a "boys" colour a long time ago.) but also that "girly" is just bad. :/

Pokemon has always been advertised as something for boys, though, but I think there's something for everyone to like about it. They're not all huge, ugly monsters and they're not all cute, pink, frilly little creatures.

For example all they talk about in the new series are things like being loving and caring towards pokemon and ive noticed battles have also been rarer, pokemon contests are apparently just as important as gym battles now too and all they do in those things is make pretty light shows with attacks that were ment for battling.

"Loving and caring" has always been there. It's girly to be kind...? Because, really, that's all they're being: kind. Friendly. Girly!? It's not even as though they're like "I love you, Pikachu lalalala" or have romance stories all the time.

Why is it wrong for contests to be just as important as gym battles? Wait, because it's "girly", right...? Because it's the girl that takes the lead, rather than the boy? I find that the contest battles are just as good as any other type of battle and needs just as much, if not, MORE strategy than gym battles. They not only have to battle but have to make them look good by using combinations and try using the other person's attacks to their advantage (which is the same as gym battles, no?) while dealing with the pressure of hundreds of people watching you. I'm not saying you have to like contests, but you can't see the strategy in them?

Don't even get me started on the movies they put out these days, the stories are pretty pathetic and I felt like going to sleep half way through the Manaphy one and Darkrai one.. its just embarrasing to watch. SERIOUSLY its like on the same level as a barbie movie or something with legendary pokemon thrown in as helpless babies that have to be rescued (arent they ment to be powerfull?)..

Manaphy was just boring. May was the lead character, but that's nothing to do with it being boring. I REALLY don't understand how you see the 10th one as being girly. It had loads of battles, which is "manly", right? Oh wait, they had tears in their eyes at the end. Obviously, this film is for girls.

Another thing ive noticed is with the new generation of pokemon, mostly all of them are cuddly and soft looking which makes it hard to believe these things are suppost to fight. Even their colour schemes are very femenin and pale which is weird when you compare them to the older ones.

Ok ive finally got that off my chest.
Thanks

There have always been "girly" Pokemon. Jigglypuff, Clefairy blah blah blah y'know. I do not see your point that the 4th gen Pokemon is girly. Or even the majority. I see most Pokemon as being liked by both boys and girls. Boys are allowed to like cute Pokemon and girls are allowed to like strong Pokemon. lol. Maybe you're just noticing that Pokemon is trying to appeal to both sexes more than it used to, such as contests being taken part in my the lead girl character, rather than the only girl character doing nothing.

LaurenLOVESTONED
May 30th, 2008, 06:05 AM
OH NOES! not gurlzz! tehere, r moer pink frillz an dawn wheres a dress adn jigglypuff maek me teh gay!!

When something is immature, it makes it "girly"...?

Y'know, this thread is quite insulting. Not only is it saying that you can't like the Pokemon that are "girly" (which is just a social construct, anyway...pink used to be a "boys" colour a long time ago.) but also that "girly" is just bad. :/

Pokemon has always been advertised as something for boys, though, but I think there's something for everyone to like about it. They're not all huge, ugly monsters and they're not all cute, pink, frilly little creatures.

"Loving and caring" has always been there. It's girly to be kind...? Because, really, that's all they're being: kind. Friendly. Girly!? It's not even as though they're like "I love you, Pikachu lalalala" or have romance stories all the time.

Why is it wrong for contests to be just as important as gym battles? Wait, because it's "girly", right...? Because it's the girl that takes the lead, rather than the boy? I find that the contest battles are just as good as any other type of battle and needs just as much, if not, MORE strategy than gym battles. They not only have to battle but have to make them look good by using combinations and try using the other person's attacks to their advantage (which is the same as gym battles, no?) while dealing with the pressure of hundreds of people watching you. I'm not saying you have to like contests, but you can't see the strategy in them?

Manaphy was just boring. May was the lead character, but that's nothing to do with it being boring. I REALLY don't understand how you see the 10th one as being girly. It had loads of battles, which is "manly", right? Oh wait, they had tears in their eyes at the end. Obviously, this film is for girls.

There have always been "girly" Pokemon. Jigglypuff, Clefairy blah blah blah y'know. I do not see your point that the 4th gen Pokemon is girly. Or even the majority. I see most Pokemon as being liked by both boys and girls. Boys are allowed to like cute Pokemon and girls are allowed to like strong Pokemon. lol. Maybe you're just noticing that Pokemon is trying to appeal to both sexes more than it used to, such as contests being taken part in my the lead girl character, rather than the only girl character doing nothing.

amen sister. as i said to my friend after showing him this thread:
"sexist much? because being feminine is the worst thing that can happen to anyone ever. oh noes i is girl-like NOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHH"

Zorua
May 30th, 2008, 06:16 AM
Pokemon being girly? The majority being huggable and stuff? Ha. You're far from it.

Jigglypuff may look a bit girly, but basing this on Brawl, that thing hits like a man, amirite?

For me, I feel indifferent for it. I don't really care about the overall feeling of it, and I shouldn't, because that's...not really what the game is meant for. :|

And even if I did, it wouldn't say it's girly.

dragonsrule
May 30th, 2008, 06:16 AM
I don't think its girly, the love and respect part is a staple in childrens programming. In the anime its just the characters around Ash that do. May was such a bad charcter that it made me stop watching the show, Max was horrible to. How I hated those two.

AJ™
May 30th, 2008, 06:18 AM
Its not becoming "Girly", its not even becoming "Feminine" (The politically correct term for girly).

Pokemon have always been cute little guys.
but there are still some scary ones.
-Points to heatran-
Definitely not FEMININE

Jorah
May 30th, 2008, 12:15 PM
amen sister. as i said to my friend after showing him this thread:
"sexist much? because being feminine is the worst thing that can happen to anyone ever. oh noes i is girl-like NOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHH"

Thank you, I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks so about this thread, haha

solopy567
May 30th, 2008, 12:19 PM
Hell no...its not changing at all!

How is it girlish? Seriously, look at Garchomp, Metagross, Salamence, Probopass, Tyranitar, Charizard.....Do i have to go on? Its not changing, the balance is perfect and you are just insane

sirboulevard
May 30th, 2008, 12:42 PM
Im sorry. I dont agree. Yes, Nintendo has put in new elements to appeal to female players more, but they have a good reason for it. Go on to the GTS website and pull up any country's status report. Every country I've looked at has a 60 - 80% male players registered as opposed to 40 - 20% female players. Its not a bad thing either. Yes, originally Pokemon was designed for male players ages 7 - 13, but the actually players aren't usually that anyways. Most players are men and women in their teens and early 20's. Nintendo is just trying to make the game appeal to more players. It wont stay Gen I forever. When this game started it was guys trying to be trainers and nothing else, now its men and women being trainers, breeders, coordinators, and collectors. Just because you dont like some new features doesnt mean you get to make fun of them or people who like them, and certainly not use a sexist term like girly.

Cassino
May 30th, 2008, 01:17 PM
Pokemon was once at least somewhat masculine at first (one example being the absence of a female protagonist in the games until Crystal). Given that it falls under the demographic of shonen, it quite obviously started out as something directed more at boys. Then, I think somewhere around the second generation, Nintendo and whoever else makes Pokemon probably realised that an equal if not larger amount of girls showed interest in Pokemon.

Pokemon is currently a unisex affair (as most things in this day and age are encouraged to be for the sake of political correctness), and no, the Pokemon themselves don't seem to be getting any cuter and cuddlier — they're just getting stranger as the company(s) try to come up with new ideas. Though I would say I've noticed how the colour tone of the Pokemon does seem to have lightened over time... (especially Jynx, lol for controversy).

You seem to be expecting pokemon to be masculine all the way to the core, and while I agree it started out pretty much like that, it has migrated to somewhere in between genders; but it doesn't make it 'girly' per se, just somewhat more femenine than it once was.

Also please refer to what sirboulevard has posted.

vano-m
May 31st, 2008, 07:46 AM
In 1st seasons pokemon were cuter... Vulpix, Pikahy, Jiglypuf, others...

Alli
May 31st, 2008, 12:13 PM
Not 'girly' at all.

However, the addition of Lopunny was a bad move. I mean...that thing needs a male counterpart, and doesn't need to look like that.

I like how there are female counterpart Pokemon, such as Gardevoir, Illumise, Nidoqueen, Miltank, and Wormadam. Stuff like that. I say it's been balanced through all generations.

How is it girlish? Seriously, look at Garchomp, Metagross, Salamence, Probopass, Tyranitar, Charizard.....Do i have to go on? Its not changing, the balance is perfect and you are just insane

I actually prefer those to be female. Gives that 'touch my babies, and you die!' kinda feel. You know...if you've hatched an egg from them...Gible babies for Garchomp. ^^

And every Tyranitar I snag in Colosseum...is female, although it is supposed to be a 50/50 chance of getting male or female.

Cerisse
June 1st, 2008, 06:49 PM
Well, some Pokemon are cute and will most difintely appeal to the female audience but Pokemon isn't "girly". It's not like any Pokemons are gonna be getting their nails done and getting hair treatments and go shopping and going on fashion shows anytime soon! :cheeky:

.Socks
June 1st, 2008, 07:40 PM
Well this thread is sort of offensive.

As was previously said, that's terrible if you think playing a slightly feminine game is the most terrible thing that will ever happen to you.

Anyway, I don't think Pokemon is all that feminine, Nintendo is just trying to appeal to both genders at this point.

CharmUp!
June 1st, 2008, 07:42 PM
I dont watch the tv series anymore but I took a peak at the diamond/pearl series and even watched some of the newer movies like the one with Manaphy and to be honest I think pokemon is being directed at little girls now..
It's always been aimed at children of ALL genders. God forbid they cater to all those female fans that were neglected during Generations I and II.
For example all they talk about in the new series are things like being loving and caring towards pokemon and ive noticed battles have also been rarer, pokemon contests are apparently just as important as gym battles now too and all they do in those things is make pretty light shows with attacks that were ment for battling.BECAUSE OBVIOUSLY, MEN AREN'T CAPABLE OF LOVE AND COMPASSION TOWARDS OTHER CREATURES ON THIS PLANET, AMMIRITE?

I like how they made contests important in the anime. Much better than seeing a main character from the games getting the shaft in favor of Satoshi (whose a worn-out verison of Red, in a sense).
Don't even get me started on the movies they put out these days, the stories are pretty pathetic and I felt like going to sleep half way through the Manaphy one and Darkrai one.. its just embarrasing to watch. SERIOUSLY its like on the same level as a barbie movie or something with legendary pokemon thrown in as helpless babies that have to be rescued (arent they ment to be powerfull?)..You obviously haven't watched the 8th movie yet (BEST Pokemon film ever, period), because the Manaphy and the Dialga/Palkia/Darkai movies weren't that good in the first place.

Also, since when was every legendary Pokemon been portrayed as an unstoppable, petrifying force in the games? Some are fairly weak. Hell, even Celebi can get owned pretty easily in the games. Manaphy, in the movie, was just a NEWBORN, so it makes total sense. And when has the legendaries in the 10th movie been portrayed as helpless wussies that needed to be rescued? If anything, the TOWN was the only thing that needed rescuing.

Another thing ive noticed is with the new generation of pokemon, mostly all of them are cuddly and soft looking which makes it hard to believe these things are suppost to fight. Even their colour schemes are very femenin and pale which is weird when you compare them to the older ones.Nice job comparing a Game Boy game with less graphical capabilities made in 1996 (the sprites were either BLACK, WHITE, RED, BLUE, OR YELLOW) to a 2008 DS game.

Pokemon was once at least somewhat masculine at first (one example being the absence of a female protagonist in the games until Crystal). Given that it falls under the demographic of shonen, it quite obviously started out as something directed more at boys. Then, I think somewhere around the second generation, Nintendo and whoever else makes Pokemon probably realised that an equal if not larger amount of girls showed interest in Pokemon.The original games intended to have a playable female character, but was scrapped because of limitations.

Pokemon is targeted towards both sexes - the sites that say otherwise are unofficial and are basing it off of the amount of action associated with this franchise.

Moonlit Umbreon
June 1st, 2008, 08:57 PM
Well I know what Pokemon are becoming. Really ridiculous. xD Who in Swinub Land would love Purugly? O.O;

.emerald
June 1st, 2008, 09:18 PM
i doubt it is girly (i love pokemon) there is no girly stuff about it(not even the gba games or the shows or the cards or the kracks)

GKS
June 1st, 2008, 09:39 PM
Pokemon is made for both genders, but the stories are more and more boring. Ash is being a softie now, I liked the old Ash more. I don't really like contests, but would you like to watch gym battles for like all the main regions. Even the Orange Islands and Battle Frontier had similar battles. You will get really bored of Ash if there was not another character to watch compete.

skyterra
June 2nd, 2008, 03:57 AM
Because the anime is accountable for everything right?

ErickaVolt
June 2nd, 2008, 04:11 AM
Pokemon is NOT being girly. It's because there's some young kids watching Pokemon. I dare to call you girly on the banned Pokemon episodes! Just look at the other animes. >.>

SuperLink
June 2nd, 2008, 05:05 AM
I hate the anime stereotypes. What are the chances that both May & Dawn want to be coordinators, wear costumes and enter contests rather than being hardcore trainers? Just because they're girls? Ash is more girly than them!

That was a bit off topic, Sorry. :P

To be honest I never thought Pokémon was the most manly gaming series ever. Sure it's got a complex metagame but in the end it's aimed at children.

Glaceon_
June 2nd, 2008, 11:06 AM
Well I know what Pokemon are becoming. Really ridiculous. xD Who in Swinub Land would love Purugly? O.O;

Actually.. its quite a popular Pokemon, in the games. XD; Quite a few people I've talked to on other forums have mentioned that they love it. I think mostly because it isn't that bad of a Pokemon, in terms of stats, but that's just a guess.. XD;;

That said, sexist comments like, "Its becoming/is girly" should really be purged; much like the Pokemon/Anti-Pokemon front. Though it could be true that they tried balancing Pokemon with Contets, to appeal more towards the female fan base, the fact of the matter is that Pokemon remains pretty neutral, in terms of who it appeals to. Like mentioned by others; be it elsewhere on the Internet or in this thread/forum, its more cut into "Generations" than gender, with Pokemon trying to get a bigger fan base by keeping First Generation fans in with the newer, Third and Fourth Generation fans.

That's with games, though; what they're doing with the Anime and Movies, I'll never know, because I've no interest in them.

SBaby
June 2nd, 2008, 11:25 AM
Personally, I think Pokemon was originally intended to be like that, until Nintendo came into the picture. Now before you start to debate me, just know that I'm male and I'm a huge fan of NIS and Gust games (a majority of which were made for girls).

So onto the reason. Well, multiple reasons actually. First of all, you've got a bunch of male characters that are considered, as stated by many female fans, to be just plain adorable. You've got female characters that compete in these talent contests and a Pokemon verion of Westminster. Both of these things appeal to females, though I imagine the Westminster thing also appeals to males as well. Makes one wonder why there hasn't been a Pokemon Best in Show Fic yet.

Then there's the cuteness factor. Now, we know alot of guys have a soft spot for the little creatures, but females love things that are cute. Seriously, if you doubt me on this, show them your Pokemon plushie or beanie baby collection. Or better yet, show them your Tails plushie. Or even your cat. All of which are cute. Guaranteed 9 times out of 10, they'll love it.

I think that what happened is Game Freak probably thought of this and was originally going to market Pokemon to girls. But in what I'd consider to be a pretty smart move, they decided to just market it to kids in general when Nintendo bought the rights to the franchise. Which is really ironic when you consider that the Pokemon Anime still has the aforementioned appeal to it more than anything else (if not moreso now with the contests).

CharmUp!
June 2nd, 2008, 02:46 PM
I doubt Satoshi Tajiri's dream of "wanting children to experience the same thrill of collecting bugs" to only be aimed at girls.

Seniwac
June 2nd, 2008, 03:23 PM
if the pokemon show was getting girly, why is brock still in the show

PikachuEX
June 2nd, 2008, 03:39 PM
Pokemon is NOT being girly. It's because there's some young kids watching Pokemon. I dare to call you girly on the banned Pokemon episodes! Just look at the other animes. >.>
Episode 18 was a bit too girly, if you know what I mean.

To all of you who think Pokémon is girly, let me introduce you to some Pokémon.
http://pokemonelite2000.com/sprites/dpmfa/dpmfa065.pnghttp://pokemonelite2000.com/sprites/dpmfa/dpmfa068.pnghttp://pokemonelite2000.com/sprites/dpmfa/dpmfa402.pnghttp://pokemonelite2000.com/sprites/dpmfa/dpmfa476.png
The scary part: the females look the exactly the same, except for Kricketune, which has a smaller mustache.

Seniwac
June 2nd, 2008, 05:40 PM
alakazam?

more like ALAKAMAN