PDA

View Full Version : I just want to say about the pokemon games in general....

Mitchman
May 31st, 2008, 02:56 AM
Silver/Gold/Crystal in all was the best. 2 new types, 2 regions and heck the algorithims in the game were more advanced then the advanced generation. Im still playing it till this day and noticed that a move can not affect a pokemon in anyway even if it has type advantage. One minute hypnosis works on lets say steelix and the next turn boom this pokemon was not effected. You dont see that these days do you. Or do you? I stopped at sunnyshine city 6 months ago in D/P so mabye I missed something.
Now for Red/Blue/Yellow. I put them as the most simple. Not to much confusion not to many pokemon but heck it was fun and enjoyed a nice period of fame.
Diamond/Pearl on the other hand is almost the same as kanto. 151 new pokemon with very much the same pokemon as the first gen. A usless rat named ratatta=a usless beaver named biddoof, an uber bird named pidgey that deserves more credit=an exact same clone called starly and almost the half of the dex was new kanto evos. Mabye if its like this we could see in the 5th gen a new region south of sinnoh connected by the mountain range of corronet.Also mabye thats why there is no G/S remake yet. To release a new generation with 2 regions and to release the original dual region game along with it.All guesses but still theres hope.
Hoenn im not goin into detail cause plainly it sucked. The only connection to the previous gens was what an azurill. Yay. And still it has no connections in sinnoh. They really failed on that one.
Now in general about some pure elements of pokemon I never realized. What I never realized was that pokemon cries can be heard to show what pokemon your goin to see in that patch of grass. Also is steel stronger or weaker then psycic cause can the mind bend even steel with enough concetration. Also the type advantage psycic has to fighting is techinically an in game mind over matter factor. Any opinions on this little speech of mine?

Motsuko Live
May 31st, 2008, 03:12 AM
So, of that whole three paragraphs you just typed, I understood maybe 30% of it? '-.-

Try taking more time to check spelling, punctuation, and that you're still speaking english while posting. *rolls eyes*

fade101
May 31st, 2008, 03:20 AM
o.O

*raises hand* what does algorithims have to do with the pokemon game... oh my gosh... dont tell me maths has sumthin to do with the game??! I've been playing pokemon and learning maths at the same time??
LOL, kidding!!

I get what you're trying to say... Gold, silver, crystal pwns the other games... nuff said...

Mitchman
May 31st, 2008, 03:32 AM
So, of that whole three paragraphs you just typed, I understood maybe 30% of it? '-.-

Try taking more time to check spelling, punctuation, and that you're still speaking english while posting. *rolls eyes*
How was that not readable. 0_o Anhyway im going back to check it.

Motsuko Live
May 31st, 2008, 04:44 AM
How was that not readable. 0_o Anhyway im going back to check it.

Ahh, much better now Darkcookie.
It was very unclear before. You had jumbled words, etc. Just pointing that out to you...

Mitchman
May 31st, 2008, 05:02 AM
Thnx I knew something was wrong. Also hoenn is something I want to go into depth but I never played the games in a whole.

airconditioning
May 31st, 2008, 05:31 AM
Over that entire wall of text, I have no idea what the heck you're trying to say. What's your point?

Mitchman
May 31st, 2008, 06:39 AM
Νothing in particular its just my general point of view bout the games.

El Gofre
May 31st, 2008, 07:19 AM
Silver/Gold/Crystal in all was the best.
Good for you.
2 new types,
They were needed to balance the metagame, not just for excitment
2 regions and heck the algorithims in the game were more advanced then the advanced generation.
What algorithms?
Im still playing it till this day and noticed that a move can not affect a pokemon in anyway even if it has type advantage. One minute hypnosis works on lets say steelix and the next turn boom this pokemon was not effected. You dont see that these days do you?
No, that's a good thing. I dont want my moves to randomly stop working.
Or do you? I stopped at sunnyshine city 6 months ago in D/P so mabye I missed something.
So you havent even finished DP? You're yet to experience the best part of the game my friend.
Now for Red/Blue/Yellow. I put them as the most simple. Not to much confusion not to many pokemon but heck it was fun and enjoyed a nice period of fame.
Ok...
Diamond/Pearl on the other hand is almost the same as kanto. 151 new pokemon with very much the same pokemon as the first gen. A usless rat named ratatta=a usless beaver named biddoof,
A useless ferret called sentret...
an uber bird named pidgey that deserves more credit=an exact same clone called starly
An uber bird that required more credit called Hoothoot...
and almost the half of the dex was new kanto evos.
Its the same with every generation, not just the 4th. Almost every poke is given a counterpart.
Mabye if its like this we could see in the 5th gen a new region south of sinnoh connected by the mountain range of corronet.
Yeah, 99% of players do not are about the geographical side of pokemon.
Also mabye thats why there is no G/S remake yet. To release a new generation with 2 regions and to release the original dual region game along with it.All guesses but still theres hope.
Or it could be that they're working on platinum...
Hoenn im not goin into detail cause plainly it sucked.
If thats how you feel...
The only connection to the previous gens was what an azurill. Yay.
And wyanut ;)
And still it has no connections in sinnoh. They really failed on that one.
I dont get your point...
Now in general about some pure elements of pokemon I never realized. What I never realized was that pokemon cries can be heard to show what pokemon your goin to see in that patch of grass.
Erm... Wha?
Also is steel stronger or weaker then psycic cause can the mind bend even steel with enough concetration.
Theres a difference between bending spoons and bending a scizor's arm. Besides, steel was introduced to deliberately weaken psychic's power as alakazam and mewtwo dominated 1st gen.
Also the type advantage psycic has to fighting is techinically an in game mind over matter factor.
I don't get your point.
Any opinions on this little speech of mine?

People didnt understand because combined with the bad grammar of the original posts, half of your resoning doesnt make sense. You say how 4th gen is just clones of 1st gen, but that's the case with every gen:
Rattata/Sentret/Poochyena/Bidoof
Pidgey/Hoothoot/Tailow/Starly
Need i go in?
You've made a lot of points but havent told us why you've piked them. For example, you've started talking about steel and psychic and fighting, but what does that have to do with the different generations? You keep going on tangents.

So yeah, you like 2nd gen. Good for you. I just don't see why you created an entire wall of text just to tell us that.

airconditioning
May 31st, 2008, 07:27 AM
Gofre said pretty much exactly what I meant.

Mitchman
May 31st, 2008, 08:39 AM
Now in general about some pure elements of pokemon I never realized. What I never realized was that pokemon cries can be heard to show what pokemon your goin to see in that patch of grass.
Erm... Wha?
Yep in the games you can here the cries of pokemon. Anyway you think its usless fine but heck if you really want to bash it then by all means have it closed.

Motsuko Live
May 31st, 2008, 09:19 AM
@ airconditioning and Gofre: Aha... so it wasn't just me who couldn't make heads or tails of this.
Take a hint, Darkcookie :<

airconditioning
May 31st, 2008, 11:35 AM
Yep in the games you can here the cries of pokemon. Anyway you think its usless fine but heck if you really want to bash it then by all means have it closed.

... Do you think that everyone who has ever played the game is deaf? Of course we know that. What you were saying before was... well, I honestly have no idea.

Sydian
May 31st, 2008, 12:40 PM
Over that entire wall of text, I have no idea what the heck you're trying to say. What's your point?

Thank you. Motsuko, Gofre, and airconditioning got to this before me.

I don't get what you're saying at all.

All I understood was that you like GSC the best and something about Bidoof and Starly being clones. Starly and it's line are their own thing. There's always some bird at the beginning of the game(Pidgey, Hoothoot, Tailow, and Starly) and some rodent(Rattata, Sentret, Zigzagoon, and Bidoof) and none of them are very alike.

The rest of your Great Wall of Texta was unreadable.

Avey
May 31st, 2008, 01:42 PM
I can't believe that airconditioning, Gofre, Motsoku and SilverSmeargleSplatter got to this thread before me. I still need to rant and show how a verteran actually proves a point, just so this thread can be rremembered for something that benefited the community, so here we go:

Pokemon has been milked for all its worth. I was really mad when they remade Red, Blue and Yellow because I thought the old games were fine the way they were. But no, they have to milk out all the money they can from the franchise. I swear to god, Nintendo has milked Pokemon for all its worth and more. When they start remaking games that can still run on the current systems, that's pretty sad. I mean, it's one thing if you remake an SNES game for the Game Boy Advance because SNES isn't played often anymore, but Red, Blue and Yellow can still be played on a Game Boy Adavance.

Or the show, oh dear. How long has that show been running? Ten years? The show lost its charm by the second season and yet they're still milking it. Part of what makes things have success is when they end.

For instance, compare The Beatles and The Rolling Stones. Of the two bands, who is remembered more? The Beatles, of course. Why? Because they broke up after a few years, and the Rolling Stones kept going. The Rolling Stones music was mediocre (in my opinion) when they started, and now their music is really bad (aside from a few tracks on their newest album, A Bigger Bang like It Won't Take Long because they went on for too long. You can only have so many new ideas after a while, after all.

Let's compare Final Fantasy to Pokemon. Final Fantasy has been a video game series even longer than Pokemon and has published about four times as many games. However, Final Fantasy is still running strong, while Pokemon is under scrutiny for losing its creativity. Why? Well, let's examine that. First off, Final Fantasy has a different concept every game. Some basic things are the same, like the battle system or some recurring characters like Cid, moogles, and chocobos. Pokemon is the same concept, over and over, with just new characters replacing some of the older ones. Now, where's the fun in that?

Believe me, I do enjoy Pokemon. Red, Blue, Yellow, Gold, Silver and Crystal were great, and I still enjoy playing them. But the other games just make me mad. Has anyone played Pokemon Channel? That's a G-R-E-A-T example of milking the franchise.

For those of you who don't know what Pokemon Channel is, I'll explain it for you. Pokemon Channel is a horrific game that was slapped together with little effort. You know what you do in it? You watch television with Pikachu. Oh my god, that's so exciting. Yeah, I always wanted to spend my time watching Squirtle sell items on TV, Slowpoke reporting on the weather and Smoochums doing a workout show. So anyway, this Pikachu appears at your house one day and insists on watching the television. That is where the game begins, and every day you have to watch television with Pikachu. If you try going outside, Pikachu gets mad at you because it wants to watch more television. What's really sad is the way you beat the game. You have to watch every single one of the tv shows and purchase a bunch of items.

Apparently Nintendo believed most Pokemon fans are braindead, bed-ridden, drooling vegetables who enjoy spending their money on quality-ridden stuff like Pokemon Channel. I can't see any other explanation as to why they would publish such a terrible game. Had it been a stand-alone title with no connection to Pokemon, it would never have even been contemplated in the video game world. But because it had something to do with Pokemon, they shipped it off and expected it to sell. Hey, as long as the Pokemon label's on it, people will buy it, right?

El Gofre
May 31st, 2008, 02:08 PM
[/B]Yep in the games you can here the cries of pokemon. Anyway you think its usless fine but heck if you really want to bash it then by all means have it closed.

The "erm wha?" was not out of onfusion, but beause my mind was boggled from trying to work out why you're stating the obvious bazillions of times.

I can't believe that airconditioning, Gofre, Motsoku and SilverSmeargleSplatter got to this thread before me. I still need to rant and show how a verteran actually proves a point, just so this thread can be rremembered for something that benefited the community, so here we go:

Oni, joo no i iz more veterun dan joo ;)

Motsuko Live
May 31st, 2008, 02:54 PM
You know what you do in it? You watch television with Pikachu. Oh my god, that's so exciting. Yeah, I always wanted to spend my time watching Squirtle sell items on TV, Slowpoke reporting on the weather and Smoochums doing a workout show. So anyway, this Pikachu appears at your house one day and insists on watching the television. That is where the game begins, and every day you have to watch television with Pikachu. If you try going outside, Pikachu gets mad at you because it wants to watch more television. What's really sad is the way you beat the game. You have to watch every single one of the tv shows and purchase a bunch of items.

ROFL! ROFL, ROFL, ROFL!!!

That has got to be the funniest thing I've read all day! +Rep for a good laugh, and taking time to respond to Darkcookie so well :>

Anyway, it's kind funny how everyone basically tells Darkcookie off about his grammar, then posts something barely relevant to the subject. Though I guess that's what you get from not knowing what the subject was in the first place... :/

Well, I'd best be going before we all get infractions for "stealing a thread" [?] xD
*flees*

Avey
May 31st, 2008, 03:06 PM
Ah, I forgot to mention the stadiums and other N64 games. The two stadiums were great - lots of mini games and you could even play your game on the television without buying some super expensive crap device that would let you play your games on the television. Snap was great, too. I still enjoy it to this day (though that bloody Mew really annoys me off when it flies away when I break its bubble).

Colosseum. What a joke. I mean really, that game was horrible. You had this annoying little sprite who followed you everywhere and had no real positive purpose. I personally believe Nintendo put her in there to annoy the masses. On top of that, the storyline was so dry. Oh no, Team Snagem is here and they're stealing pokemon! Oh wait, this happened several times already! On top of that, you had to purify pokemon. Others may have liked this part but I really didn't. I don't like having to spend hours upon hours upon hours trying to unlock some good moves for a pokemon. And they don't level up until you purify them, so if it takes you a while to unlock their heart, they get killed by everything as you go farther into the game. Also, if you didn't catch a Pokemon at a certain point in the game, you couldn't get that pokemon. So basically you were screwed if you wanted to meet Ho-Oh or something.

Same concept. Basically the same storyline. The only interesting feature about that game was you got to catch wild pokemon, as opposed to Colosseum, where you couldn't. And the character's sister was a total loser. I really hate people who speak in the third person and she was an annoying badger anyway. The only interesting character in that game was the Miror B. dude because he had some pretty snazzy dance moves and catchy music (though his Ludicolos were always really hard to beat).

Hmm. What other console spinoffs were there? I never played Puzzle League. It didn't look very interesting. There was Hey You Pikachu, which I never played either. I was going to get it at one point but then I heard all these bad things about it, so I didn't.

Oh. Oh. Oh. Here we go. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon. A failure. That game was so horrible. Let's examine it:

So you wake up as a Pokemon. Pretty good. Then you meet an annoying sidekick who doesn't know how to shut up. Bad. You start up your club and you can recruit Pokemon. Good. The dungeons are all randomly generated, giving you a frustrating maze format. Bad. It takes you forever to level up. Bad. You can only use special moves on a limited basis. Bad. The third pokemon in your party is largely ineffective because it usually isn't at the right angle to attack. Bad. Your partners tend to get separated from the group, singled out by wild pokemon, and killed. Very bad. The storyline was shallow with predictable storyline turns and sappy dialogue. Very, very bad. You could beat the game very, very quickly. Very bad.

As you can see, I didn't think too highly of Pokemon Mystery Dungeon. As soon as I beat it, I put it somewhere and never touched it again. I don't even remember where I put it now, and I don't even care. It was a total waste of money.

After wasting my money on a horrible product, I didn't even bother getting Pokemon Ranger. Good thing, too, because it got horrible reviews across the board.

No. I'm not going near Diamond and Pearl. I've had enough ranting today.

Motsuko Live
May 31st, 2008, 03:15 PM
@ Oni Raichu: Oh, oh! Do all the other Pokemon products, next! Like Pokemon Yatzee. I got that game for my 7th birthday, tried it once about 20 minutes after receiving it, and tried to give it back to my friend's mom. (It was quite a hoot, actually. My mother caught it all on tape!) xD

Anyway, do a rant about those little Poket-Pikachu things you could get a couple years ago. They were like a cross between GameBoys and Tamagotchi's or whatever those virtual pets are called.

Sydian
May 31st, 2008, 03:21 PM
Also, if you didn't catch a Pokemon at a certain point in the game, you couldn't get that pokemon. So basically you were screwed if you wanted to meet Ho-Oh or something.

Actually, you can...but...

-claps- I love you, Oni. Great points have been made. All hail your rants. Point taken on all those spin-offs, however, I do like Colosseum...Gale of Darkness...eh, I've been playing recently...but, it's not that exciting. Lets catch 84 Shadow Pogeymanz!! :D 84!! And purify them!! 84!!!!!

[I love you platonically, of course...]

Avey
May 31st, 2008, 03:30 PM
Anyway, do a rant about those little Poket-Pikachu things you could get a couple years ago. They were like a cross between GameBoys and Tamagotchi's or whatever those virtual pets are called.

I remember them. They came in two colours. Wow, two whole colours. One was described a lime green but it was more a mixture of turqoise and the other was meant to be pink but orange would be slightly more accurate. Great. Now we know that the people making the 'console' were colourblind. I wonder how bad the game is? And that's right, folks. They actually called it a console. Have you ever heard of a Tamagotchi being called a console? No. They are just known as Tamagotchis. Why couldn't this be known as a Virtual Pikachu or some other horrible name? I'll tell you why, because the creaters of the game decided that if the PS2 and the XBox and the Gamecube were all selling so great back then, why wouldn't a 'new' console? Especially, if, you know, the 'console' was specifically for a Pokemon game. In fact, the console was the Pokemon game! So what happens in it? I can't really remember, but I'm pretty sure it was a rip-off of the Tamagotchi. Oh, wait, it's all coming back to me. The memories, they are bad. Very, very bad. I remember that there was a purple button or a green button on the side of the 'console' that you had to press for about thirty seconds in order to turn it on. And when you did, a horrible beeping noise would fill your ears and you would put your hands over them to stop your eardrums popping. Then, Pikachu would demand to be taken for a walk. I mean, what the Hell? It's Pikachu. This is not Nintendogs. Since when did Pokemon need to go for walks? They obviously don't get enough exercise from pratically killing each other in Pokemon battles, I guess. After you walked him, you had to get rid off his faeces... No, wait, I'm mistaken. As you walked him, you wold collect Pikachu's faeces that you would later trade in for money as it 'was good for the environment'. I suppose Nintendo always want to teach kids an educational lesson, no matter how surreal the setting! The money, you would use on Pokemon food to keep your Pikachu alive. And then, when Pikachu died, the console died with him. That's right, folks. You actuallly had to buy another console or should I say 'console'?

Gokey Shuckle
May 31st, 2008, 11:08 PM
Whether is post is understandable or not is not the point, you guys should not respond JUST to tell him that and not post about the topic. If no one can figure out what he says, then the best thing to do is not to reply.

Glaceon_
June 1st, 2008, 02:29 PM
I'll play with two people, today. :)

If you don't like long posts, turn away, now. Actually, I'll spoiler tag some, in the hope of helping thread-reading convenience.. Doesn't help on post size, though.. x.x;

Please bare in mind I haven't read all of the posts in here, so anything that's repeated, I apologise. I'm replying from my perspective, rather than just going, "Yeah, I agree with that guy, lolz."

Silver/Gold/Crystal in all was the best. 2 new types, 2 regions and heck the algorithims in the game were more advanced then the advanced generation. Im still playing it till this day and noticed that a move can not affect a pokemon in anyway even if it has type advantage. One minute hypnosis works on lets say steelix and the next turn boom this pokemon was not effected. You dont see that these days do you. Or do you? I stopped at sunnyshine city 6 months ago in D/P so mabye I missed something.

Glad you like GSC. I did, too. I also liked the introduction of the Steel and Dark types, as well, but I will agree that they were likely there to cripple the Psychic type, which until GSC, were a dominant force, through RBY. I actually also think it was said somewhere that metal interrupts some forms of Psychic power, which also adds to the bucket of resistance, though in that sense, it would likely really be resistant, completely; much like the Dark type are.

I never really noticed the "moves don't work after working" thing, though; through RBYGSC, I wasn't much for strategy, and pretty much powered my way through them, but I did use Hypnosis, and I don't recall it saying it didn't affect the Pokemon. Miss, yes, but not affect, no. It has been a while, though..

Well.. yeah. Simple was because it was the first time they had ever made a game like this. They did it quite nicely, though; it is indeed an enjoyable Generation, but after FR/LG, I'm not willing to downgrade, again.

I'll do the next part in sections:

Diamond/Pearl on the other hand is almost the same as kanto. 151 new pokemon with very much the same pokemon as the first gen. A usless rat named ratatta=a usless beaver named biddoof, an uber bird named pidgey that deserves more credit=an exact same clone called starly and almost the half of the dex was new kanto evos.

Diamond and Pearl is actually bigger than Kanto, to my knowledge. Generation 1 also had a hell of a lot more Fire types, as well, which is what really got to me with Diamond/Pearl; there only being 2 basic Fire types, giving a total of 5 Fire types, until the National Dex. Very annoying.

Pokemon always has a flyer and a Normal type for the first route; arguing against such or using it as evidence of "cloning" between two Generations is pointless. Out of them all, I only liked Sentret and Zigzagoon, anyways, since Bidoof isn't really appealing to me, and Rattata doesn't exactly have the best looking evolutionary form. XD But really, with a combination of looks and stuff, the middle two were my favourite. For birds, it was Pidgey and Taillow; 1st and 2nd Generations, though you technically forgot about Spearow/Fearow, from Generation 1, since Spearow could be caught close by, to my knowledge.

Creation of Kanto Evolutions is bound to happen, anyways; especially with Eevee, which evolves depending on the type of environment it lives in. Eventually, most every Pokemon in the series will eventually have a Baby form, if need be. Little Baby Kangaskhan, anyone? *cough*

Mabye if its like this we could see in the 5th gen a new region south of sinnoh connected by the mountain range of corronet.

Though possible, I don't really think they will make a second region, attached by Mt. Coronet. For that to be so, the landmass would have to be hourglass-shaped, though thinking on it, it would ironically enough, fit to the cause of Dialga, being a "Deity of Time".

Also mabye thats why there is no G/S remake yet. To release a new generation with 2 regions and to release the original dual region game along with it.All guesses but still theres hope.

Although the suspected trend within the Pokemon gaming series is a creation of 2, then a modified version of that Generation, with remakes suspected on the third Generation, (technically meaning Generation 6 would mark a remake of G/S) I don't think that will happen. After Platinum, I think that its possible a remake will be made for G/S.

If there is a Region attached to Sinnoh, which I still doubt, it'll likely be the 5th Generation; that much I agree on.

Hoenn im not goin into detail cause plainly it sucked. The only connection to the previous gens was what an azurill. Yay. And still it has no connections in sinnoh. They really failed on that one.

No. Hoenn introduced Pokemon Contests, PokeBlocks, (later made as a Region difference; Poffins being the effective "PokeBlocks" for Sinnoh) Berries, and introduced some of my favourite Pokemon in the series. Some noted as Bagon's evolutionary line, Swablu's, Torchic's and Zigzagoon's.

You can't measure a game by its connections to previous Generations; nor future, so your argument there is void. What I will agree with is that it was probably the weakest Generation to date, but I don't think it failed, at all. It did break my liking of Water type starters, though.. :(

Now in general about some pure elements of pokemon I never realized. What I never realized was that pokemon cries can be heard to show what pokemon your goin to see in that patch of grass. Also is steel stronger or weaker then psycic cause can the mind bend even steel with enough concetration. Also the type advantage psycic has to fighting is techinically an in game mind over matter factor. Any opinions on this little speech of mine?

Crying has been there since Generation 3, I think. I'm not sure if it was in GSC, because I didn't really sit on a route long enough for it to occur.

Refer to the part I mentioned on RBY's quotation for my take on the Steel<->Psychic strengths thing.

Okay. Now that I'm done with that one, onto the next:

^.^

Ah, I forgot to mention the stadiums and other N64 games. The two stadiums were great - lots of mini games and you could even play your game on the television without buying some super expensive crap device that would let you play your games on the television. Snap was great, too. I still enjoy it to this day (though that bloody Mew really annoys me off when it flies away when I break its bubble).

Never really played too much of the original Stadium games, but I have played them, and I will say they are fun. I liked being able to play the games on the TV, as well, and missed that feature, when I gave the game back to my friend.. :(

Snap is only good for one playthrough; at least for me. It got boring rather quickly, once I completed it; even after I restarted it.

Colosseum. What a joke. I mean really, that game was horrible. You had this annoying little sprite who followed you everywhere and had no real positive purpose. I personally believe Nintendo put her in there to annoy the masses. On top of that, the storyline was so dry. Oh no, Team Snagem is here and they're stealing pokemon! Oh wait, this happened several times already! On top of that, you had to purify pokemon. Others may have liked this part but I really didn't. I don't like having to spend hours upon hours upon hours trying to unlock some good moves for a pokemon. And they don't level up until you purify them, so if it takes you a while to unlock their heart, they get killed by everything as you go farther into the game. Also, if you didn't catch a Pokemon at a certain point in the game, you couldn't get that pokemon. So basically you were screwed if you wanted to meet Ho-Oh or something.

The "annoying sprite" was a Human Shadow Pokemon Detector, so she had her purpose. Whether she annoyed the masses or not is up to interpretation. Stealing Pokemon/causing mass hysteria using the power of Legendaries is the Pokemon way. After Generation 2, the plot looked the same.

I'll agree that Purifying Pokemon was a pain, in Colosseum; I still haven't Purified them all, though I have caught them all, so I won't miss Ho-oh, once I manage to actually get a team for the stupid battles on Mt. Battle.. -.-;;

Levelling was a pain, for Shadows, but what I did like about Colosseum was that you had two Eevee evolutions from the start. I really like Eevee. ^^

Same concept. Basically the same storyline. The only interesting feature about that game was you got to catch wild pokemon, as opposed to Colosseum, where you couldn't. And the character's sister was a total loser. I really hate people who speak in the third person and she was an annoying badger anyway. The only interesting character in that game was the Miror B. dude because he had some pretty snazzy dance moves and catchy music (though his Ludicolos were always really hard to beat).

Yup. XD: Gale of Darkness was pretty much the same as Colosseum, only it was executed a lot more cleanly, as opposed to the stiff walking of Colosseum. It was more of a challenge, as well; having not been bothered to get more money, for items, I found the last battle to be quite a challenge.

Likewise, I found Michael's (default name for main character) sister to be quite annoying, but you generally don't really see a great deal of her, so it didn't bother me, any. I did hate that stupid assistant, at that inventor's house, though.. ughh..

Miror B was awesome, in my opinion. I loved fighting him, because they upgraded his music from Colosseum, of which I have to say, Colosseum's was just annoying, but XD's was quite brilliant. He was, indeed, quite a challenge, with his Rain Dance - Rain Dish - Swift Swim strategy, but knowing one's strategy is the best way to counter; in the end, I managed to get around him, knowing what he was planning. :)

..and again; I'm a sucker for Eevee. :)

Hmm. What other console spinoffs were there? I never played Puzzle League. It didn't look very interesting. There was Hey You Pikachu, which I never played either. I was going to get it at one point but then I heard all these bad things about it, so I didn't.

Neither have I, and I generally don't want to, either. I've not heard much about them, but I've just not seen much interest in them.

Oh. Oh. Oh. Here we go. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon. A failure. That game was so horrible. Let's examine it:

So you wake up as a Pokemon. Pretty good. Then you meet an annoying sidekick who doesn't know how to shut up. Bad. You start up your club and you can recruit Pokemon. Good. The dungeons are all randomly generated, giving you a frustrating maze format. Bad. It takes you forever to level up. Bad. You can only use special moves on a limited basis. Bad. The third pokemon in your party is largely ineffective because it usually isn't at the right angle to attack. Bad. Your partners tend to get separated from the group, singled out by wild pokemon, and killed. Very bad. The storyline was shallow with predictable storyline turns and sappy dialogue. Very, very bad. You could beat the game very, very quickly. Very bad.
As you can see, I didn't think too highly of Pokemon Mystery Dungeon. As soon as I beat it, I put it somewhere and never touched it again. I don't even remember where I put it now, and I don't even care. It was a total waste of money.

Though Mystery Dungeon had its flaws, I enjoyed the game quite a bit, and still play it, actually. The reason it takes a while to level is because of the EXP values being greatly increased from the standard of 1,000,000; like the main series has stood on. Generally, though; I still feel that Mystery Dungeon is a good game, in its own right. Its the first of its kind, and nothing is perfect, on the first time around, is it?

Personally, I'm looking forward to the sequel's release, outside of Japan.

After wasting my money on a horrible product, I didn't even bother getting Pokemon Ranger. Good thing, too, because it got horrible reviews across the board.

Nor have I got Ranger, because basically, I've not been interested in it. Reviews don't generally deter me from something, since I look at a game from my own perspective to decide if I like it or not.

All's fair; just let me know whem you do rant about it; I'd love to take a read/comment on your rantings on it. ^^

Apathetic_Yen
June 1st, 2008, 02:40 PM
Very interesting topic going on here...

Anyway I've been looking for a good topic to post this on so I guess this will have to do:
The reason for these 'clones' such as Rattata and Sentret is because every region is supposed to have a similar species that is somewhat unique to them. Rattata=Kanto, Sentret=Johto. It was clearly an effort to keep things somewhat different (creating a new species) while at the same time trying to keep the experience the same (Rattata and Sentret have the same combined total stats) to give the player a new pokemon that would not upset the balance of the game from the beginning.

What I mean by 'upsetting the balance" is that without these 'weaker' pokemon appearing from the beginning of the game, the balance of power would be messed up and the player would be given something that would either eventually become too strong or too weak to use. Each region also needs a common pokemon that could be seen almost everywhere Ex: Mice, butterflies, BIRDS. Don't rant on about how you hate Pidgey clones so much and wish they didn't exist. Have you seen how many birds are in the sky? Yah, "doves are clones of pigeons, I wish they didn't exist." Sorry but Pidgeys aren't really going to be native to EVERY region, just like real birds. Remember guys, most pokemon are really based off animals, and some animals are slightly related to another yet could be in totally different regions of the world.

If you even say that "this is the pokemon world, not the real world. Pokemon are different" you should just shutup before embarassing yourself in front of everyone about how ignorant you are. If pokemon weren't meant to be based off animals, they would bear absolutely no resemblance to them at all.

Cassino
June 2nd, 2008, 09:39 AM
I could come here, say "epic fail" then never be seen again... so I will.

Epic fail.

Well, no, I can't just leave it at that... About Hoenn: it being unrelated means they could actually come up with a new original idea even at that stage of sequel-making. I don't know if you've noticed but the Pokemon games don't have a continuous storyline to maintain.

Mitchman
June 2nd, 2008, 10:07 AM
Thnx for the epic fail :/