PDA

View Full Version : The secrets of Hoenn: A sprite Comic

xiraiya
May 31st, 2008, 06:59 AM
Welcome to my thread, Home to my new sprite comic "Secrets of Hoenn" Here you'll follow a young boy known as "white" as he gets thrown into the deep end of his Pokemon journey from the word "go", this comic is about how he survives and how he'll soon learn and grow as he strives to be one of the best while he travels the land.

This comic has been done almost COMPLETELY in MS Paint. (Everything is done in MS Paint, except the "night time" lighting)

COMIC CHAPTERS

Prologue (http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/2923/thebeginningdd9.png)

Chapter One - Dawn of a new Journey! (http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/7973/chapter1pngao4.png)

Chapter Two - One of "those" days (http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/8338/chapter2pngrc0.png)

Chapter Three - The Fear! (http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/1164/chapter3pngnz5.png)

Sorry it's shorter than the last, I've been a little slack so I'll make it up when I find an actual font I can use and like so I'm no longer placing letters by hand *phew*

ComoToon
May 31st, 2008, 07:56 AM
Hmm pretty high quality sprite comic did you make that in GIMP, Photoshop, or something else can't wait for the next page.

Aero-LyNx
May 31st, 2008, 04:05 PM
Wow, cool prologue. I'll be waiting on your next pages!

.Eevee-Chan
May 31st, 2008, 05:32 PM
ooh! this seems intresting!

Continue,Continue!

๒inaryקlastic
June 1st, 2008, 05:15 AM
Pretty Good. I like the prolouge but how do you make the night time effect??? please check out my comic (Scott's pOkemon Adventure) if you want insparation or help :D...

xiraiya
June 1st, 2008, 05:22 AM
I have updated the thread tonight with Chapter 1, while not overly exciting, I find it rather amusing and theres a tiny joke for the fans of R/S/Emerald.

Anyway, I've made the chapter pages "clickable links for those unfortunate enough to have Dial-up (Like myself)

Enjoy, I'll begin CH2 tomorrow

Oh thanks Toxic, I'll check it out!

The night time effect, was basically grayscale, a darkish blue layer blended and alot of tweaking, worked better than expected.

GreenStorm
June 1st, 2008, 05:32 AM
Good comic! It's always nice to see new comics. A few things you should change though:

-Put periods at the end of your sentences.
-Align your panels, it makes it look better.
-In the last two panels, you kind of skipped. Try putting a "Later" somewhere in the last panel.

xiraiya
June 1st, 2008, 05:38 AM
Good comic! It's always nice to see new comics. A few things you should change though:

-Put periods at the end of your sentences.
-Align your panels, it makes it look better.
-In the last two panels, you kind of skipped. Try putting a "Later" somewhere in the last panel.

yeah I kind of thought that too, with the skipping thing, I accidentally rushed haha, oh well... It's my first sprite comic, still early days... it will get more detailed, however I need to find a balance between too slow or too fast.

Cobalt36
June 1st, 2008, 08:06 AM
Not bad! Who would make their kid ride in the back of a dangerous moving van with all sorts of furniture that could fall and kill him?! I either see a jailed parent or a Final Destination parody on the horizon!!! Still, it's coming along nicely.

.Eevee-Chan
June 1st, 2008, 04:02 PM
This chapter was good,just make the text a little bigger if you can.

xiraiya
June 1st, 2008, 05:13 PM
Not bad! Who would make their kid ride in the back of a dangerous moving van with all sorts of furniture that could fall and kill him?! I either see a jailed parent or a Final Destination parody on the horizon!!! Still, it's coming along nicely.

Haha yeah, It was to poke fun at the fact a lot of people wondered why Brendon in R/S/E had to ride in the back of the moving van to hoenn and what kind of parent would do make their kid do that...

Unlike Brendon...White realizes the idea seems "wrong" somehow haha.

Aero-LyNx
June 1st, 2008, 05:31 PM
I like the first Chapter. Look at the blanket when he fell, do you make it yourself?

xiraiya
June 1st, 2008, 05:34 PM
Yeah I did haha,took a little while to do but it looked pretty good in the end, I basically respited the bed to have no blanket, so it was just a pillow on a bed and nothing else, and then just went from there trying to work out where everything would be on the blanket at that angle...

Also, for those who haven't thought about it yet, white is actually based on my D/P trainer sprite I made on my forum Avatar.

All custom sprites like the longer truck and bed etc, are done by me (only started spriting a couple of weeks ago)

If I end up making a lot of custom stuff for the comic, I could possibly make a sheet for those who might want to use them in their own comics etc.

Weatherman, Kiyoshi
June 1st, 2008, 05:51 PM
*claps*

congratulations, you have recieved my honorary cake of "YAY! ACTUALLY COOL DETAILS AND DECENTLY FUNNY HUMOR!"

I especially liked that detial on the bed when White fell out of bed.
and of course, the joke about riding with furniture.

and the text and the text bubbles.
there... awesome.
yes, awesome.
be proud of yourself.
you just made me say awesome.

I can't wait for more pages. I wan't to see this comic soar and be another goodie on the sprite comic shelf.

ComoToon
June 1st, 2008, 05:55 PM
I'm sorry I didn't read your first post well enough. You really made all that in paint thats amazing but what program did you make the night time effect in. Great job on the comic.

xiraiya
June 1st, 2008, 06:03 PM
Thanks a lot for your kind words Acha still being a "n00b" with comics hopefully I can improve it even more over time. I do like to pay attention to details, even as far as adjusting the clock time correctly by day and night, because I find it fun to spot tiny little things I probably didn't see the first time, so I want others to be able to say "Ah I never noticed that before, that's pretty cool"

ComoToon, I did the night time effect in "Paint.Net" it's a free program you can download (All I can get while I'm on dial-up, untill next week) However
any program like Gimp or Photoshop will do, it's a matter of tweaking after you have the basic steps down.

Aero-LyNx
June 2nd, 2008, 03:02 AM
I like your comic, lol. The details about the blanket, then the details about the eyes(especially when he sigh). lol, I'll be waiting your next episode.

xiraiya
June 2nd, 2008, 04:59 AM
I like your comic, lol. The details about the blanket, then the details about the eyes(especially when he sigh). lol, I'll be waiting your next episode.

Thanks a lot, yeah things will start going somewhere now that White is "lost" in Hoenn, Third generation game characters will appear at some points in the comic.

Perhaps even appearances of famous Kanto characters eg, Lance, Red, Green etc.
But we'll see what happens.

Aero-LyNx
June 2nd, 2008, 05:02 AM
Wow, I can't hardly wait! Anyway you should make a banner or something to get feedback. ^_^

xiraiya
June 2nd, 2008, 05:10 AM
Wow, I can't hardly wait! Anyway you should make a banner or something to get feedback. ^_^

Oh ok, you mean like a Signature to advertise?

Aero-LyNx
June 2nd, 2008, 07:09 AM
Yeah, kinda. It's name is userbar(or you can make your banner by yourself), you can search the link in the SC Lounge.

ComoToon
June 2nd, 2008, 01:45 PM
ComoToon, I did the night time effect in "Paint.Net" it's a free program you can download (All I can get while I'm on dial-up, untill next week) However
any program like Gimp or Photoshop will do, it's a matter of tweaking after you have the basic steps down.

Yea I have that program and just learn how to do the effect it didn't turn out as well as yours but still turned out nice. Oh and I'm wondering if you have paint.net then why use MSPaint.

.Eevee-Chan
June 2nd, 2008, 03:44 PM
This is great,your transparent sprite of White is good!

xiraiya
June 2nd, 2008, 05:04 PM
Yea I have that program and just learn how to do the effect it didn't turn out as well as yours but still turned out nice. Oh and I'm wondering if you have paint.net then why use MSPaint.

MSpaint is a lot more simple to work with, in other words I can do a lot of things faster in it than the other program, I am slowly coming up with more things that require that program though, like the see through sprites of white running around looking for his "magazines"

ComoToon
June 3rd, 2008, 01:03 PM
MSpaint is a lot more simple to work with, in other words I can do a lot of things faster in it than the other program, I am slowly coming up with more things that require that program though, like the see through sprites of white running around looking for his "magazines"

Hmm you must have complete mastery over it. I personally prefer paint.net its not as simple but i 'm pretty good with it and its superior in terms of features.

Red1530
June 3rd, 2008, 03:48 PM
I think White is in contention for the dumbest trainer-in-waiting award.:laugh:

xiraiya
June 3rd, 2008, 04:19 PM
I think White is in contention for the dumbest trainer-in-waiting award.:laugh:

Haha yeah you're probably right, but you'll just have to wait and see haha ;)

On another note, I have a question for you all, I'm considering the idea of using D/P style "Over World" character sprites since they look a lot better zoomed in, and are really not THAT much bigger than the third generation ones.

I came up with what White would look like, let me know if you all like the idea, and I'll start using them as of next chapter or something.

New & Old "White" sprite comparison:
http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/5663/whiteowtestpngfh1.png

.Eevee-Chan
June 3rd, 2008, 05:56 PM
The new sprite is even better,you should use it.

GreenStorm
June 3rd, 2008, 06:40 PM
Well, looks like you took the advice. Never seen someone actually do that. It's shaping up and looking good now, I honestly can't wait for the next comic!

As for the sprite thing. It's not a good idea to mix tilesets. So if you want to use the DP sprite, then it would be better to change everything into DP tilesets.

Aero-LyNx
June 3rd, 2008, 07:27 PM
Wow, good D/P Sprites, lol. I like your comic very much, I'll be waiting your next comic.

And about the DP sprites, I agree to Greenstorm. You can't mix the Dp with RSE Sprites. It'll be bad. And if you want to use your DP sprite, use it for special events.(But remember don't mix it okay.).

xiraiya
June 4th, 2008, 01:29 AM
Yeah fair enough I suppose, and I'm not exactly willing to recreate hoenn in D/P tiles haha, oh well... i'll start work on chapter 3 tomorrow, been busy last couple of days, the speech takes forever since theres no proper font i can use, the letters are all placed by hand...

Aero-LyNx
June 4th, 2008, 05:06 AM
Wow, If I were you, I would download fonts and type it. lol... I like your style. lol

xiraiya
June 4th, 2008, 05:13 AM
Wow, If I were you, I would download fonts and type it. lol... I like your style. lol

Haha, theres no "Pokemon Emerald game font" though haha, so I have to make do

Aero-LyNx
June 4th, 2008, 08:18 AM
haha, Aren't you tired? Or you have a secondary energy pack, haha.

xiraiya
June 4th, 2008, 08:29 AM
haha, Aren't you tired? Or you have a secondary energy pack, haha.

I've been stocking up on PROTEIN and HP UP so I'm good to go haha it's 2am so maybe i'm not so good, Hopefully tomorrow I'll finish chapter 3, there will be pokemon attacks in it, heroes and maybe even White will FINALLY start his journey, I plan on using PMD sprites, however I lack the sprites of Bagon and it's evolution, It's like the only pokemon spriters resource hasn't got for PMD and it happens to be the one I need haha oh well.

Aero-LyNx
June 4th, 2008, 08:37 AM
Haha, I've just consumed a BITTER HERB, and I feel like 'I'm going to sleep late night', haha. Btw, I can help you search the sprites. When I found it, I'll PM you right away.

Red1530
June 4th, 2008, 04:08 PM
I think you should use D/P style graphics xiraiya

xiraiya
June 5th, 2008, 05:20 AM
Chapter 3 is up guys, Have fun

I wouldn't mind using the D/P sprites they would probably fit since they aren't really any bigger and in a comic placed correctly they would look fine, but then I'd have to remake half of the Important people from Emerald, Fire red etc.

We'll see, though.

ComoToon
June 5th, 2008, 01:40 PM
Wow your comic is really shaping up nicely *damn more competition*.
No I'm just kidding I'm really a fan of your comic and the new white looks great.
I'm loving the night time effect for chapter 3. I can't wait till you show the first battle.

Mr. Epic
June 5th, 2008, 01:55 PM
nice sprite comic
Soy tan real como la vida misma

ComoToon
June 5th, 2008, 02:38 PM
Wow your comic is becoming popular on PC I think you should start hosting I recommend Drunk Duck (http://www.drunkduck.com) as a comic host it's what I use for my comic which I wish you would check out and give me a few pointers. Like how to make your cool night effect *cough* cough*.

xiraiya
June 5th, 2008, 03:27 PM
Wow your comic is becoming popular on PC I think you should start hosting I recommend Drunk Duck (http://www.drunkduck.com) as a comic host it's what I use for my comic which I wish you would check out and give me a few pointers. Like how to make your cool night effect *cough* cough*.

Ah I see, I'll check out Drunk Duck and I'll go read your comic too, haha I might use the new white, I'll do a test in a day or so to see if the DP sprite will be good to use.
I'm proud of the cut scene shot with Steven watching from the distance haha.

I'm looking around for a tutorial section for pixel art, so I can write up a small guide for anyone who wants to mimic my night effect.

I took a good long hard look at how it all looked in the G/S/C games because that style of night seemed the most correct by Nintendo's standards, managed to copy it for the third generation quite well I think.

ComoToon
June 5th, 2008, 03:33 PM
Actually Drunk Duck has been rather buggy for me it has a large community (more people to read your comic) that's a plus buts it's full of bugs. I like new White especially his shading better especially the hair.

Super Sprita
June 5th, 2008, 03:52 PM
nice dude I loled @ when he saw the ape-pokemon *forgot his name*

xiraiya
June 5th, 2008, 04:25 PM
Haha thanks a lot, I think it's called Vigoroth.

GreenStorm
June 6th, 2008, 11:58 AM
I have a question. In the second panel of your last comic, is White running away from the Fearow or is White the one that said "A Fearow? Hmm"?

xiraiya
June 6th, 2008, 03:14 PM
I have a question. In the second panel of your last comic, is White running away from the Fearow or is White the one that said "A Fearow? Hmm"?

Ah, I didn't realize people didn't quite get it, He's the guy in the distance running, It's Steven who's standing close up.

He has grayish hair and the black suit.

GreenStorm
June 7th, 2008, 02:56 PM
Oh, because Steven looks awfully a lot like White in back-sprite form.

xiraiya
June 7th, 2008, 03:46 PM
Oh, because Steven looks awfully a lot like White in back-sprite form.

Yeah I know haha, White's backsprite is based off Stevens since the hair matches, that and now they have met... the apprentice usually seems similar to their Master... it would be fine during the day because of the color differences etc.

And no... I didn't just drop a future hint about White becoming a trainer and learning from Steven.;)

Weatherman, Kiyoshi
June 7th, 2008, 05:05 PM
Yeah I know haha, White's backsprite is based off Stevens since the hair matches, that and now they have met... the apprentice usually seems similar to their Master... it would be fine during the day because of the color differences etc.

And no... I didn't just drop a future hint about White becoming a trainer and learning from Steven.;)

hm. The third chapter threw me off a bit.
it went from "Aw crap, I got thrown off my own moving truck" to- "OMFG!!!1 SOMETHING IS CASEING ME! wait, a random guy appears and I forgot all about the thing? ooo.... I better trust him for no apperant reason! =D"
:/

yeah, you totally didn't give a spoiler. XD

Ridley
June 7th, 2008, 07:12 PM
I like it so far. Keep it up. Pretty funny! :)

xiraiya
June 8th, 2008, 07:10 AM
hm. The third chapter threw me off a bit.
it went from "Aw crap, I got thrown off my own moving truck" to- "OMFG!!!1 SOMETHING IS CASEING ME! wait, a random guy appears and I forgot all about the thing? ooo.... I better trust him for no apperant reason! =D"
:/

yeah, you totally didn't give a spoiler. XD

Haha, yeah I'll explain how White managed to anger a Fearow and then chased for most of the day.

Sorry I haven't released anything just yet, I've been pretty busy with setting up my new ADSL internet (upgraded from Dial-up) so I'm a little sidetracked for the moment, it's monday for me now so I'll try and get two chapters out this week for you all.

PokemonSprite2007
June 9th, 2008, 07:12 AM
Brilliant! I wan to see more!

Aero-LyNx
June 11th, 2008, 10:17 PM
Well, I think I've found solution to writing you own words with pokemon games letters.
1. Download Advance Text(A-Text, you can search for it in ROM-Hacking's toolbox section)
2. Download the Pokemon GBA rom with the letters like you have in your comic(Be sure you have at least Visual Boy Advance(VBA)).
3. Open A-Text, click Open ROM, then choose the ROM.
4. Change the the words.
5. Save it, then with a little(or big) help from MS Paint Choose The word then Drop it into your bubbles
6. Now open VBA, press next until you found your words and voila.
This is the screenshot.

P.S: If the A-Text doesn't work PM me I'll help you. And if you need anything PM me okay ;)

xiraiya
June 12th, 2008, 01:55 AM
Hey sorry I haven't released the next chapter, I've been very busy dealing with the "goings on" in my life so I've been pretty distracted from this, I have some time on the weekend coming up so look out for a new chapter then.

Kenwannabe, thank you so much for that, I'll check it out and see how it goes.

Aero-LyNx
June 12th, 2008, 02:33 AM
No problem, I'm Glad to help you.

Red1530
June 15th, 2008, 10:11 AM
I have found an even easier solution. This site (http://www.dafont.com/pokemon-ruby-sapphi.font) has Pokémon Ruby and Sapphire that can be used like any other font.

Aero-LyNx
June 16th, 2008, 06:03 PM
I guess Red is right. It's much easier with that font.

ΜσdαΜϑrdεrεr
June 17th, 2008, 04:55 PM
I don't know why but these chapters remind me of Chrono Trigger. *shrugs* Hey, I love it. I also look forward to read your next pages. =]

GreenStorm
June 25th, 2008, 05:09 AM
So, when are the new chapters coming out?

iRawr-x
July 9th, 2008, 03:58 AM
Wow, This is totally awesome.. ;D I love it. Hmm, I was thinking of making one aswell (Comic/Shorts) OR maybe I was planning making a Pokemon Movie.. With sprites ;P

dragonqueen0210
July 18th, 2008, 11:57 PM
This is great. I think it has everything a comic can have. how many are you planning to aim for?