PDA

View Full Version : Repetition in Pokemon Games?

AJ™
June 2nd, 2008, 02:13 PM
Hello everyone.
I've been thinking about this topic long and hard.

Am i the only one who thinks there is WAY too much repetition in the pokemon games?

Such things as -

8 Gyms leaders that have PRETTY MUCH the same type pokemon every game.
Elite 4 - Can we have some kind of league challenge?
More and more unnecessary legends.
Pokemon that Look like, or are just as annoying as old ones. *cough*pointlessEvolutionsLikeLikitungAndTangela*cough*

And lastly, my personal peeve...
TEAMS. Team rocket, magma, aqua, snagem, ect.

I would really like some new original ideas in the games.

Urya
June 2nd, 2008, 02:17 PM
Personally, I'm kind of fond of the repetition in the games. Just like how you can always count on Link to collect some artifacts, get the Master Sword, slay Ganon and save Zelda from evil's clutches.

Some orignality wouldn't hurt, though. Pokémon has a lot of potential when it comes to new features, but Nintendo's playing it safe probably because they know it sells anyway.

AJ™
June 2nd, 2008, 02:18 PM
I agree i like the old stuff,
but its the ANNOYING stuff, such as mentioned above, i can't stand.

Glaceon_
June 2nd, 2008, 02:38 PM
Repetition is pretty much how Pokemon works, and though I think it really should somewhat change, I still like the games as they are.

The gyms would probably have to stand, but indeed, there really should be a league or something, rather than the linear line of the Elite Four challenge. It would probably be an awesome idea to have some sort of mini-leagues going on, through the game, as well, where when you get to a certain place, you take on other trainers in a league sort of way.

The closest we got to this was the Bug Catching Contest from GSC, where you had multiple challengers going for the best Bug Pokemon.

Legends are just a part of the game; they're what drive the Pokemon story, so if you take them out.. yeah, the game just turns into a catch and win thing. *shrugs*

Generally, I wish they would just have a Pokemon evolve when it is released in its respective Generation. Take Pachirisu; you just know its going to have an Evolution in the next Generation called "Raichirisu" for the aspect of a Pikachu-esque Pokemon. If it were meant to evolve, shouldn't it really.. you know.. evolve in its specified Generation?

Eevee, I can understand, though; after all, it does evolve dependant on specific conditions; noted to evolve dependant on its natural habitat, but manipulated by Stones, time and now, the presence of special "rocks".

I guess there is room for originality, over its other Generations, but like mentioned, Nintendo know it will sell, no matter what, so they're likely just going for the stuff that sells, than expanding on something that could potentially be better.

I've no qualms with the battle system, though.

AJ™
June 2nd, 2008, 02:43 PM
Repetition is pretty much how Pokemon works, and though I think it really should somewhat change, I still like the games as they are.

The gyms would probably have to stand, but indeed, there really should be a league or something, rather than the linear line of the Elite Four challenge. It would probably be an awesome idea to have some sort of mini-leagues going on, through the game, as well, where when you get to a certain place, you take on other trainers in a league sort of way.

I'm not saying to take the Gyms away, i just think a bigger type variation would be better.

The closest we got to this was the Bug Catching Contest from GSC, where you had multiple challengers going for the best Bug Pokemon.

I loved the contest :)

Legends are just a part of the game; they're what drive the Pokemon story, so if you take them out.. yeah, the game just turns into a catch and win thing. *shrugs*

Once more, not saying to take them out, but to STOP MAKING SO MANY.

Generally, I wish they would just have a Pokemon evolve when it is released in its respective Generation. Take Pachirisu; you just know its going to have an Evolution in the next Generation called "Raichirisu" for the aspect of a Pikachu-esque Pokemon. If it were meant to evolve, shouldn't it really.. you know.. evolve in its specified Generation?

I agree, it doesn't make sense for a Electabuzz to not evolve, but 6 years later, a new one comes around.

Eevee, I can understand, though; after all, it does evolve dependant on specific conditions; noted to evolve dependant on its natural habitat, but manipulated by Stones, time and now, the presence of special "rocks".

No comment.

I guess there is room for originality, over its other Generations, but like mentioned, Nintendo know it will sell, no matter what, so they're likely just going for the stuff that sells, than expanding on something that could potentially be better.

I've no qualms with the battle system, though.

So pretty much, i understand everything you're saying.

CharmUp!
June 2nd, 2008, 02:50 PM
Repetition in a video game franchise is to be expected. Just look at Mario, or Zelda.

I'd like to see some more battling competitions in the games, myself.

MissMegano
June 2nd, 2008, 02:52 PM
I see your point, but as Glaceon said, they make what sells. It doesn't bother me much because what they repeat is improved, such as the difficulty of the gyms(imo xD), and the teams. I think Team Magma, Aqua, Galactic, etc. have better motives and take more action than Team Rocket did. I'm totally with you about all the pointless evolutions and legendaries, though.

Acrutheo
June 3rd, 2008, 02:42 AM
Something new is quite risky. They actually manage repetition quite well, I think, and this series doesn't work on dramatic changes - it's more about building on what they have. I admit, I'd like to see some revolutionary things, but if they screwed it up, it could be very detrimental to the continuing success of the games.

Mitchman
June 3rd, 2008, 02:52 AM
Εxactly something new is risky but repition is the best. I cant really see link using an ak-47 or a uzi trying to take down hordes of moblins or the trainers in game trying to kill a pokemon with a ball. Repition is the reason nintendo is still alive after 20 years. Ya they got the same hero doing the same act of heroism but heck they always put something new to keep it going. i mean look at mario. Hes been everywhere. Same thing with link. You have to trust on repition should be nintendos motto.

El Gofre
June 3rd, 2008, 04:42 AM
It's always going to be repetetive. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Pokemon diamond and pearl made it into the top 10 best-selling games in the world last year. They don't need to change the game because they know millions of people will still buy it.

weedle_mchairybug
June 3rd, 2008, 04:34 PM
Yeah, they are a bit repetitive, but I don't mind. Hey, I myself CAN be a bit repetitive.

What my BIGGEST pet peeve is in terms of Repetition is that several people bash the Anime for being "repetitive" and yet praise the games despite the fact that the games ARE repetitive, arguably even moreso than the anime. I mean, really, if your going to bash the Anime for being repetitive, you might as well bash the games as well, so you aren't a hypocrite.

Glaceon_
June 4th, 2008, 01:19 AM
Well, those were really just general fleeting comments on the Gyms and Legendaries, Animanga; wasn't meaning to make it look like you'd said they needed to go. I was meaning that some change is needed, because where there isn't enough variety in Gyms, and such, there's too much in Legendaries.

Glad you understood what I was saying, though.

Εxactly something new is risky but repition is the best. I cant really see link using an ak-47 or a uzi trying to take down hordes of moblins or the trainers in game trying to kill a pokemon with a ball. Repition is the reason nintendo is still alive after 20 years. Ya they got the same hero doing the same act of heroism but heck they always put something new to keep it going. i mean look at mario. Hes been everywhere. Same thing with link. You have to trust on repition should be nintendos motto.

*points* The Link using an AK or an Uzi is a bit two extreme, because Legend of Zelda is set more in a Medieval setting, with the presence of Magic and such. You know; the time of the sword, bow and arrow. We're talking about reasonable change. Repetition can only go so far, and Mario is pretty much a big example of that, despite the fact he has a big fan base, nonetheless.

Likewise with Pokemon; it has a huge fan base, despite the games' and Animes' repetition. It goes to show that, though they may crave at least some change, they'll still like it, because its still fun to play or nice to watch. That's really the case for me, and a few others, it seems.

June 4th, 2008, 11:06 PM
You can look at it two ways:

nintendo adopted the "madden" way of doing things, where just enough new content is added or tweaked to make it a new game, knowing that it will print money regardless.

Or the "porsche" way which would be taking what is a essentially a great core and continually refining it to perfection.

Id prefer they evolve it into a more mature series, with better narratives than the usual team ___ trying to take over the world and darker more adult situations. But thats simply not the market they are catering to now.

Im still waiting for that expansive open world 3D version on the Wii though :P