PDA

View Full Version : New Type

Saberdragon
June 6th, 2008, 08:36 AM
I was trying to come up with 100 new Pokemon for a fan fic and I thought that there should be a few more Pokemon types. I have a few ideas for Pokemon, but they don't fit into any of the current 17 types.

PkMn Trained
June 6th, 2008, 08:38 AM
We need light types.

Fillllleeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrr

Archeopterix
June 6th, 2008, 04:22 PM
Crystal has a nice ring to it.

xiraiya
June 6th, 2008, 05:13 PM
Crystal doesn't seem like a type, neither does air since it's just the flying type with a different name.
Since we have Dark already, I voted for light as it's possible it'll become a real type in the future

Saberdragon
June 6th, 2008, 05:18 PM
The reason I thought Air could be a possible type is because you could have a non-flying Pokemon use wind-based attacks such as creating hurricanes and tornadoes.

Young Stunna'
June 6th, 2008, 05:19 PM
I think we have enough types. If they were to make new type I think it would be machine: that way they could classify probopass, magenezone, etc. better.

I like the idea of sound type, but it is not physical. All other types (except dark and ghost) are physical things, but when you hear dark, or ghosts, you think of evil-looking creatures, which is exactly what those 2 types include, and creatures are physical.

PkMn Trained
June 6th, 2008, 05:21 PM
Sound, plasma, and magnetism are all covered by actual pokemon. So they dont need to be types. Gravity is already a move. I cant see wind or crystal either.

Skaterzpenguin
June 6th, 2008, 05:31 PM
Duuude!!!! A plasma type would be awesome!!! they should make that kind of type! ^_^

Alli
June 6th, 2008, 05:31 PM
None of these follow suit. We already have attacks (games, in crystal's case) that cover that stuff.

Air = Flying
Gravity = Flying
Magnetism= Electric and Steel
Crystal = Ice
Sound = doesn't even make sense
Plasma = Fire and Electric
Light = Fire and Electric

But I guess the better vote is Light.

PikachuEX
June 6th, 2008, 05:42 PM
Aether type. That would be nothingness, void, etc. Light's the only on you gave us that would actually be a possible new type.

Archeopterix
June 6th, 2008, 06:09 PM
None of these follow suit. We already have attacks (games, in crystal's case) that cover that stuff.

Air = Flying
Gravity = Flying
Magnetism= Electric and Steel
Crystal = Ice
Sound = doesn't even make sense
Plasma = Fire and Electric
Light = Fire and Electric

But I guess the better vote is Light.

You should do some more research on those elements and forces before you start listing off counterparts to them; those you listed aren't really valid.

Darrillo
June 6th, 2008, 06:33 PM
I think a "Sound" type and a "Time" type are in order.

Luck
June 6th, 2008, 06:36 PM
Light type is the type that sticks out the most since other types like "air" are basically flying and the some like "sound" and "gravity" don't even make sense.
Light is the only type that no pokemon, as of now has yet that is new and "smart".

Archeopterix
June 6th, 2008, 06:41 PM
I've always thought they should scrap the fossil pokemon's Rock type and make in Ancient type. Originating from a fossil shouldn't denote a Rock type, that's incorrect. I doubt very much when these pokemon thrived that they were all Rock type, and making them Rock type just because it comes from a fossil is stupid.

Edit: Gravity and Sound types make as much sense as Psychic or Dark, really. It could work, you guys aren't giving it enough thought.

Glaceon_
June 6th, 2008, 07:17 PM
You should do some more research on those elements and forces before you start listing off counterparts to them; those you listed aren't really valid.

Air = Flying - Valid. The Flying type covers everything from wind-based anomalies to attacks that would be situated with birds. (Peck, Drill Peck, etc.) Making an Air type would just be like making another type that's the same as the Flying type.

Gravity = Flying - I don't really agree on the match-up, BUT.. I don't agree that it should be a type, either. We've got Ground types, and there is even a move that is called Gravity (which is used by a Clefable on Victory Road) so making it a type would be quite useless.. and there isn't really much point to the type.

Magnetism = Electric/Steel - Very valid. Even Magnemite's line of evolution stands around magnets, "hence the name". On top of that, its both a Steel AND Electric type.. further proving the uselessness of a Magnetism type. It wouldn't fit in the games. At all.

Crystal = Ice - I don't really agree, BUT.. it would be a useless type. Its only really relative to an Ice type, because Ice is often portrayed as a crystal-like/gemstone-like structure; as was the case for the attacks; Blizzard, Icy Wind and Ice Beam, in Generation III. It might not sit as a direct link to Ice type, but it is just proved more pointless, by how it would fit in the game; it wouldn't.

Sound = doesn't make sense - Valid, once again. The moves fit a lot better in the Normal type, than creating a whole new type for them. On top of that, do I have to revert you to Whismur and the moves; Metal Sound and Grass Whistle? I doubt they would be "Sound" typed, just because they use Sound as their basis for attack. As previously mentioned, it doesn't fit in the game.

Plasma - Fire/Electric - So-so. Fire, not so much, but definitely very close to Electric typing. On top of that, Rotom is the "Plasma Pokemon", and it is part-Electric. Hmm.. that's pretty hinting, if you ask me. Plasma fits far too well with electric types for it to deserve its own type.

Light = fire/Electric - Again; so-so. Both emit light, however, a "Light" type, were it to refer to "Holiness" over actual light, would be the most viable type in the list, and to my knowledge, it is actually used by people, in a number of unique Pokemon games. but I will say its down to interpretation of the name, "Light".

..and stop it with the "These WILL work" comments. People are allowed their interpretation of things, if they so desire. Its like this post; I say it all, but a number of people will probably just ignore it. As is the world, I suppose.. *shrugs*

Archeopterix
June 6th, 2008, 07:44 PM
Air = Flying - Valid. The Flying type covers everything from wind-based anomalies to attacks that would be situated with birds. (Peck, Drill Peck, etc.) Making an Air type would just be like making another type that's the same as the Flying type.

Gravity = Flying - I don't really agree on the match-up, BUT.. I don't agree that it should be a type, either. We've got Ground types, and there is even a move that is called Gravity (which is used by a Clefable on Victory Road) so making it a type would be quite useless.. and there isn't really much point to the type.

Magnetism = Electric/Steel - Very valid. Even Magnemite's line of evolution stands around magnets, "hence the name". On top of that, its both a Steel AND Electric type.. further proving the uselessness of a Magnetism type. It wouldn't fit in the games. At all.

Crystal = Ice - I don't really agree, BUT.. it would be a useless type. Its only really relative to an Ice type, because Ice is often portrayed as a crystal-like/gemstone-like structure; as was the case for the attacks; Blizzard, Icy Wind and Ice Beam, in Generation III. It might not sit as a direct link to Ice type, but it is just proved more pointless, by how it would fit in the game; it wouldn't.

Sound = doesn't make sense - Valid, once again. The moves fit a lot better in the Normal type, than creating a whole new type for them. On top of that, do I have to revert you to Whismur and the moves; Metal Sound and Grass Whistle? I doubt they would be "Sound" typed, just because they use Sound as their basis for attack. As previously mentioned, it doesn't fit in the game.

Plasma - Fire/Electric - So-so. Fire, not so much, but definitely very close to Electric typing. On top of that, Rotom is the "Plasma Pokemon", and it is part-Electric. Hmm.. that's pretty hinting, if you ask me. Plasma fits far too well with electric types for it to deserve its own type.

Light = fire/Electric - Again; so-so. Both emit light, however, a "Light" type, were it to refer to "Holiness" over actual light, would be the most viable type in the list, and to my knowledge, it is actually used by people, in a number of unique Pokemon games. but I will say its down to interpretation of the name, "Light".

..and stop it with the "These WILL work" comments. People are allowed their interpretation of things, if they so desire. Its like this post; I say it all, but a number of people will probably just ignore it. As is the world, I suppose.. *shrugs*

I agree that you can have an opinion, but I'd like opponents to elaborate on why they think these types don't make sense.

Flying and Air... they are similar, depends on your perspective. Air is an element, where as flying is something based on a lifeform who has adapted to become airborne.

Magnetic type does not equate to Electric and Steel. I think the misconception is due to the association with the everyday magnet. That is the first thing many people think of. Magnetism is not confined to a child's toy though, it is a very ambiguous principle, especially in reference to the Earth's poles. The same could be said for gravity; it too is a very unique and prominent principle of our reality.

I didn't think Steel would make a very good type either, when it was announced; it seemed really obscure and obsolete. There was already Rock, what need for a similar element? I couldn't imagine Magnemite's type being changed either. Steel turned out to be a welcome addition though.

I'm not wholey supporting this guy's ideas for types. I'm just saying you all shouldn't be so pessimistic in terms of new types. You think Psychic is a valid type? If it didn't originally exist and they had announced 'Psychic' as a type to appear in the 4th generation, I probably would have thought "that doesn't make sense".

Saberdragon
June 6th, 2008, 07:50 PM
Here's why I picked each type:

Light - One of the most powerful forces in the world. A Light-type would be super-effective agianst Dark and Ghost-types, extremely fast, and would be the only kind of Pokemon able to take down the "invincible" Spiritombs and Sableyes created by Action Replay users.

Sound - If a Pokemon could control sound, then it could destroy anything by hitting the right frequency (like how loud music can break glass)

Plasma - Effective underwater battling that a Fire-type can't achieve

Crystal - One of the characteristics of the new Pokemon in my fan fic is their connection to crystals

Magnetism - Pokemon with Magnetism-based powers would be very strong defenders. By drawing out every trace of metal in the surrounding area, the Pokemon could create a barrier that is almost impossible to get through for non-Fire and non-Plasma Pokemon

Gravity - A Pokemon with control over Gravity could defeat almost anything by increasing gravity and slamming them into the ground, into rocks, etc.

Air - Non-flying Pokemon would be able to use wind-based attacks such as creating hurricanes and tornadoes.

Other - Kind of obvious

vano-m
June 7th, 2008, 03:52 AM
i think all of these types are partly exist in some othet types. i mean light-electricity... zubat, golbat, some other supersonic pokemon, aren`t they a sound type? air means... flying? maglemite, magneton arent they represents gravity- magnetic type.

if creating some new type. there is more one type of energy in TCG... very complicated. and for example new type... pokemon, who can control magnetic fields, isnt in very specifical? many diffrent pokemon of this type will be difficult to create in afftar`s imagination.

And... Plasma... U mean strongly ionizeg gas? How can u imagine plasma-pokemon? Something, wich separate particals into positive ions+elecrtons and negtive ions+ positive charged... u know... And then attacking with this mix?

DavyJones4our
June 7th, 2008, 04:11 AM
I think "Cosmic" would be a good one, it could cover angelic-sorts and space/alien-sorts.

It would be perfect for Deoxys, Cresselia, Lunatone and Solrock, instead of having to be stuck with the "Psychic" type.

Hell, even Clefairy & Clefable would fit into it.

xiraiya
June 7th, 2008, 06:56 AM
The reason why Light seems the least silly out of the lot is only because Dark is one of the only types who do not have a direct counter part in the sense of how Fire & Water are naturally opposites.

Light & Dark is much the same I would Imagine Light Pokemon would be those such as clefairy or possibly even Mew.

I'm not sure who said it, but someone Said Light = Electric, well that's possible...however I'm pretty certain they referred to the type of Light as in a "Holy" type of light to counter Dark...which to be honest has about as much to do with Electricity as a stick on the ground.

Cassino
June 7th, 2008, 07:04 AM
Flying ≈ air.
Sound seems interesting, and they should've added Light by now anyway, so I'd like to see both of those.

Uh, Plasma: in a game, I can't imagine that working as anything other than ammunition for sci-fi weapons.

Anty
June 7th, 2008, 07:09 AM
We have enough types. But if they are adding maybe 1 or 2, then it should be "Light". The others like "Gravity" and "Sound" doesn't make sense.

PokemonRox
June 7th, 2008, 07:14 AM
I think light would be a good type (because we already have dark types)

Cid
June 7th, 2008, 07:41 AM
Plasma sounds nice, though Electric is already there. So I'd prefer Light as a new type, since it sounds interesting.

Azonic
June 7th, 2008, 02:15 PM
The examples given in this thread make me laugh. First of all, Light cannot be a type to just merely mimic the Dark type. We already have Fire and Electric to create an image of Light (more of the Electric type though). Unless you are aiming for the impression of "holiness" with the word light, but you'd need a better word for it. Sound is probably the better ones you can think of, but it is quite silly though. Anything can make sound, why do we need a specific type for it? They really fall under the Normal category. Plasma falls under electric, undoubtedly. Crystal is taking the image of a gem or some crystalline figure that is hard and transparent. Ice is really another name for crystal. Also, there is a version called Crystal for the Pokemon Games, so getting a type named after a version would be quite silly. Magnetism is the force which bonds two objects together. Even so, we already have Magnemite and Magneton, which already got their types changed once. Getting their types changed again will be seeming quite redundant. Besides, a child merely thinks about Magnetism as Electric and Steel. Even if you approach the word Magnetism scientifically, the concept is much to narrow to be put into Pokemon. Gravity is quite silly. We already have a move called Gravity, so creating a new type based on Gravity would be quite silly. Gravity is much too narrow, too. Air is simply flying. Flying Pokemon create tornadoes by flapping their wings. Simple as that.

The best we can probably get with another new type is the Light type, although a better name is needed to withold the "Holy" idea. Another idea has come to mind about the energy flow, or chi. Some type that has to do with balance in the energy and Fung Shuei would be nice. A "Cosmic" form would be very nice to some Pokemon, like Palkia, Cresselia, Lunatone, Solrock, the Clefable line, and others.

DavyJones4our
June 7th, 2008, 02:30 PM
The examples given in this thread make me laugh. First of all, Light cannot be a type to just merely mimic the Dark type. We already have Fire and Electric to create an image of Light (more of the Electric type though). Unless you are aiming for the impression of "holiness" with the word light, but you'd need a better word for it. Sound is probably the better ones you can think of, but it is quite silly though. Anything can make sound, why do we need a specific type for it? They really fall under the Normal category. Plasma falls under electric, undoubtedly. Crystal is taking the image of a gem or some crystalline figure that is hard and transparent. Ice is really another name for crystal. Also, there is a version called Crystal for the Pokemon Games, so getting a type named after a version would be quite silly. Magnetism is the force which bonds two objects together. Even so, we already have Magnemite and Magneton, which already got their types changed once. Getting their types changed again will be seeming quite redundant. Besides, a child merely thinks about Magnetism as Electric and Steel. Even if you approach the word Magnetism scientifically, the concept is much to narrow to be put into Pokemon. Gravity is quite silly. We already have a move called Gravity, so creating a new type based on Gravity would be quite silly. Gravity is much too narrow, too. Air is simply flying. Flying Pokemon create tornadoes by flapping their wings. Simple as that.

The best we can probably get with another new type is the Light type, although a better name is needed to withold the "Holy" idea. Another idea has come to mind about the energy flow, or chi. Some type that has to do with balance in the energy and Fung Shuei would be nice. A "Cosmic" form would be very nice to some Pokemon, like Palkia, Cresselia, Lunatone, Solrock, the Clefable line, and others.

Or if Spinda were to evolve into something with Balance, BAM, we've got "Cosmic" type to save it from the already over-flowing Psychic brand. And, if they can balance it out well enough, Cosmic could fit the missing link in a new starter trio (Dark - Fighting - Cosmic).

wobbuffet1224
June 10th, 2008, 07:20 PM
Light type sounds good especially because of all the other options that is the only one that doesnt seem similar to a specific pokemon and/or move.

o.necromancer.o
June 11th, 2008, 12:11 AM
These don't really make sense although it would be cool to have these listed as sub-types to give the player some more options or add some difficulty to the game.

FlamingAipom
June 11th, 2008, 03:33 AM
I see where he goes with a lot of these. Exception of Gravity. It sounds like Psychic Pokemon. Anyway light would be very awesome.

Possible Movesets:
Flash-could be transfer to being a light type move.
Rays and Beams-such as soloarbeam, and others like it without real element behind them.
Sunny Day-Really don't need to explain.

You can see where I'm going.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~
June 14th, 2008, 05:39 AM
Other as in neither. We have enough Pokemon types already. If you really think about it, they would of introduced a new type of Pokemon in Generation 4 so I think Nintendo is finish with the Pokemon types

:t354:TG

1stGenNut
June 14th, 2008, 12:16 PM
I've gone with the majority here. Light ftw.

June 14th, 2008, 12:28 PM
Light can be done by Psychic. They seem very similar.

grassguy
June 14th, 2008, 12:43 PM
All those types are covered by pokemon and it's much too late to bring new types in to the games.
1. Sound - Loudred is an example of a sound-based pokemon and the move uproar is a sound-based move, making multiple sound types would be very similar.
2. Plasma - Rotom is already made of plasma and it fits into the electric or maybe fire category.
3. Magnetism - That's just a silly type. Magnemite and evos are based around magnetism and making more like magnemite would be very similar and pointless.
4. Crystal - Very similar to rock and ice and is also pointless.
5. Air - very simply Flying-Type, Drifblim is part-flying and doesn't need to be "air" type. Also most Flying-Type attacks involve the use of strong wind.
6. Gravity - This is the most pathetic excuse for a type - what moves could come out of gravity? There's already a move called Gravity anyway.
7. Light - This is probably the least silly type, but still silly. Electric types and I suppose fire are already like light types.

I don't think any more types are necessary. Steel should of been called Metal but Steel sounds cooler.
sound plasma magnetism crystal air gravity light

June 14th, 2008, 01:50 PM
Maybe you could build upon the ??? type. It basically exists since the move Curse (NOT as in Curselax) has a ??? type. It'd be interesting, but it depends on if it matches you style.

Saberdragon
June 14th, 2008, 05:25 PM
I've decided to go with the majority and make my new fan fic type a Light-type. I think that ,as many have mentioned, Light is the only element not already represented. True' Fire gives off Light. But a Light-type wouldn't have the same limitations as a Fire-type. A Light-type Pokemon would be able to hold its own against a Water-type. And the weather can't suppress a Light-type's power. (If anyone is going to argue that Rain Dance would block the sun, thereby suppressing a Light-type's power, then think about this: why can you still see fairly well even if the weather is rainy and the sky is overcast? Light is always there.) I've also come up with the Strengths/Weaknesses of the Light-type Pokemon:

Strengths: Dark, Ghost, Ground
Weaknesses: Dark, Dragon

Just because I've come to this conclusion, doesn't mean I want people to stop voting. I'm interested in what people think. And if anyone wants to see the fanfic or the DZ Pokedex, there are links in my signature.