PDA

View Full Version : Why do some pokemon exist?

Young Stunna'
June 11th, 2008, 06:10 PM
Idk if you people will agree or not but seriously, who would use a pokemon like Arbok, Dunsparce, Clefable, Beedrill, etc.?

I mean some pokemon just have really sucky stats and idk why the creators of pokemon think that someone would use them in battle.

Dark Banette
June 11th, 2008, 06:22 PM
Because we can't have a billion beastly Pokemon running around. Also, some people don't want to use over used Pokemon, so they use Pokemon that aren't used often. And all Pokemon aren't useless. They all can have great power if you train them right. Even Dunsparce. =O

crzyone9584
June 11th, 2008, 06:22 PM
good question when i played red, blue, yellow and the next three i hardly used most of the pokemon. i saw no use for them. except ditto became useful when they brought in breeding/daycare system in crystal silver and gold.

JX Valentine
June 11th, 2008, 06:44 PM
Because we can't have a billion beastly Pokemon running around. Also, some people don't want to use over used Pokemon, so they use Pokemon that aren't used often. And all Pokemon aren't useless. They all can have great power if you train them right. Even Dunsparse. =O

Amen.

Seriously, a Pokemon isn't useless just because it doesn't have Rhyperior's stats and a BL or above status. Some people like using Pokemon that aren't quite powerhouses. Take Sandslash, for example. People liked the design (especially back in the RBY days when everyone seemed to own a Sandslash), but it certainly wasn't a Charizard. But hey, it got them by in-game against things like the Elite Four, and that kept them happy, even if it may not have survived for very long in link battles against, say, Mewtwo.

Besides, the development team behind Pokemon don't go in and create new monsters with the thought, "Well, we need to create a new OU physical sweeper, so...." They create Pokemon by focusing on the fact that the buyers want magical creatures based on things that are familiar to us. Pokemon like Arbok exist because the designers decided to create a snake Pokemon. That's really all there is to it.

Oh, and Dunsparce? Yeah, UU with crappy stats, but Serene Grace + Headbutt = lolflinch.

icomeanon6
June 11th, 2008, 06:45 PM
Idk if you people will agree or not but seriously, who would use a pokemon like Arbok, Dunsparce, Clefable, Beedrill, etc.?

I mean some pokemon just have really sucky stats and idk why the creators of pokemon think that someone would use them in battle.
For Clefable, there's a cuteness factor that a lot of people like. Also, a high level beedrill can be really useful against psychic types. You have to consider that it's really easy to evolve a bug type, so they're quite useful for players early in the game.

Ibuberu
June 11th, 2008, 07:32 PM
I think its because Pokemon isn't mainly about strong, powerful creatures that have high stats. Pokemon is partially(or more) aimed at the younger generation. Because of this, some Pokemon (ie, Dunsprace, Clefairy) were created to appeal to them. With their looks.

By the way, every Pokemon has the same potential and can be trained well, it depends of the person training them.

Tyrantrum
June 11th, 2008, 07:38 PM
Well, actually, all Pokemon r very useful in their own way.
For instance, some r best at offense, some at defense, and some with specialties like healing wish, tail wind, etc.
All Pokemon r very useful.
I hope that helped a little more.

[Technya]
June 11th, 2008, 07:52 PM
They're all useful one way or another.
To be quite frank I have a Clefable in Blue that can kick some serious ***.
I guess with the right leveling, training and moves any "useless" Pokémon can become quite useful. You also have items to help with the stats.

Mariah Carey
June 11th, 2008, 08:50 PM
Because we can't have a billion beastly Pokemon running around. Also, some people don't want to use over used Pokemon, so they use Pokemon that aren't used often. And all Pokemon aren't useless. They all can have great power if you train them right. Even Dunsparse. =O

I lol'd at that.

Some poke are made for breeding, just for being there and even just to frustrate us.

Darkhaven3
June 11th, 2008, 10:05 PM
Because we can't have a billion beastly Pokemon running around. Also, some people don't want to use over used Pokemon, so they use Pokemon that aren't used often. And all Pokemon aren't useless. They all can have great power if you train them right. Even Dunsparce. =O

But... Wait... Bidoof...???

The math just doesn't add up here.

El Gofre
June 11th, 2008, 10:41 PM
They're called fillers good sir ;)

Oh and anyone who says "All pokemon have potential" should try competetive battling, because there are fully evolved pokes out there that suck and will always suck. In-game experience does not constitute to a poke being usable, since anything can beat a game aimed at ages 3+.

Datriot
June 12th, 2008, 03:28 AM
But... Wait... Bidoof...???

The math just doesn't add up here.

*gasps* Bidoof is my lover, how can you say that!? *sobs uncontrollably*

Sexycheese
June 12th, 2008, 03:50 AM
They're called fillers good sir ;)

Oh and anyone who says "All pokemon have potential" should try competetive battling, because there are fully evolved pokes out there that suck and will always suck. In-game experience does not constitute to a poke being usable, since anything can beat a game aimed at ages 3+.

Er.....no offence dude but not every one likes competative pokemon. They like it for contests (some pokmon that are crap in batlle rule in contests!) Also you may use them for breeding. Personally I make a fortune at school trading girls jigalypuffs XD haha

Glaceon_
June 12th, 2008, 04:53 AM
I lol'd at that.

Some poke are made for breeding, just for being there and even just to frustrate us.

Frustrate is right; I hate the hell out of Wobbuffet. >_< ..which kind of annoys me more, when I think about the fact that they gave it a pre-evolution, in R/S/E.. ._. That slot could have easily been used up by something more useful..

On top of that, Bidoof aren't the most amazingly designed Pokemon, either.. I really hated them, and only use them for HP EVing.. which I hate to do, because of Bidoof.. >_<Kricketot/tune are pretty nasty Pokemon, as well. Were it not for their cry, I probably wouldn't mind them as much, but.. XD;

I actually also used to hate Smeargle, but it is pretty handy, when looking at breeding with the Field Egg Group. Anyone would turn a blind eye when they can finally get the moves they want on their Eevee/Sneasel. XD

But generally, it all falls to the preferences of some people; involving competitive Pokemon Battling, most will use anything. As can be noted under Over-Used Classification. XD

The_G'
June 12th, 2008, 06:07 AM
Er.....no offence dude but not every one likes competative pokemon. They like it for contests (some pokmon that are crap in batlle rule in contests!) Also you may use them for breeding. Personally I make a fortune at school trading girls jigalypuffs XD haha

I agree. Some use pokemon for other purposes and not all are into competative battling , use me as an example (Caue I use the ones with design to my liking). Alot of purposes are used aside from Competative Battling.

Idiot!
June 12th, 2008, 06:39 AM
People can practise drawing circles by drawing Voltorbs at their free time.

JX Valentine
June 12th, 2008, 10:29 AM

Agreed as well. And some Pokemon are actually okay as training fodder.

For example, level 52 Bibarel in Sendoff Spring = thank you for helping me evolve a crapload of Pokemon/yielding Attack EVs like crazy.

Yeah, Bidoof might be a doorstop, but thank Nintendo for its evolution.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~
June 12th, 2008, 04:13 PM
People can practise drawing circles by drawing Voltorbs at their free time.

thats what I did, thats the first Pokemon I actually drew correctly, if it wasn't for the makings of Voltorb I'll be lost x_X

:t354:TG

Sexycheese
June 13th, 2008, 12:54 AM
Agreed as well. And some Pokemon are actually okay as training fodder.

For example, level 52 Bibarel in Sendoff Spring = thank you for helping me evolve a crapload of Pokemon/yielding Attack EVs like crazy.

Yeah, Bidoof might be a doorstop, but thank Nintendo for its evolution.

With you on that! Anyway I think bibarel can be quite a good pokemon (were it not for that annoying ability simple!)

o.necromancer.o
June 13th, 2008, 01:04 AM

I would have to disagree on the Arbok I think its pretty good but I agree on the others.

Sexycheese
June 13th, 2008, 01:07 AM
I would have to disagree on the Arbok I think its pretty good but I agree on the others.

Arboks phisicsal attack is somewhat decent, its other stats are bad so they kill it....Seviper is better.