PDA

View Full Version : How to pronounce the names?

pokeant
June 14th, 2008, 05:31 PM
Does everyone knows how to pronounce the names of the generation 4 pokemon? i had a hard time! it might be good if someone could list them out...

Zelos
June 14th, 2008, 05:41 PM
I usually make up my own pronunciations, then find out later that they're wrong. XD

Any specific ones you'd like to know?

carter756978
June 14th, 2008, 11:11 PM
i too make up my own pronuciations, but then when the anime comes out i'm like "wtf! thats not how it's pronounced"

pokeant
June 15th, 2008, 04:17 AM
I usually make up my own pronunciations, then find out later that they're wrong. XD

Any specific ones you'd like to know?

well, almost all the names i do not know :P

i actually pronounce palkia as pie-kia...

El Gofre
June 15th, 2008, 04:26 AM
Consider watching the anime for pronunciation help. Im sure its floating around the net somewhere.

Horyo
June 15th, 2008, 04:27 AM
I call it Pal-kee-uh...o.o

fade101
June 15th, 2008, 08:25 AM
LOL! Who needs pronounciation and all those crap. Just give em nicknames or make your own name...
JOKING!
Hmm... you should try open this site (http://www.serebii.net), it will definitely help ya with ya pronouncraps... Obviously, go to the D/P/P pokedex section XD

jaggy101
June 15th, 2008, 10:36 AM
i couldnt say pachirisu at 1st but now i xan can its ma fav other then Minum

Jorah
June 15th, 2008, 12:57 PM
i couldnt say pachirisu at 1st but now i xan can its ma fav other then Minum

I had no idea how to say Pachirisu when I first saw it, I suppose it's because it's Japanese. Looking back, I find it pretty funny that I didn't know how to pronounce it.

I used to pronounce Dialga "die-al-ga" before the anime said "dee-al-ga". I should've known because that's Japanese as well. I still prefer "die-al-ga" though

Gacs
June 15th, 2008, 01:43 PM
I call Palkia Pal-kee-uh too.

It doesn't really bother me if I have incorrect pronunciations...but I can understand how it could be embarrassing >>

Katnip
June 15th, 2008, 03:32 PM
I don't know if Giratina is pronounced Gir-AH-tina or Gir-a-TEEN-a. I have no clue how to pronounce Weavile, so I say it WEE-vill. I used to pronounce Staravia as Starvaria (with all those A's, I get confused)

Azonic
June 15th, 2008, 05:00 PM
Weavile is Weasel and Vile, so you take up the two words and take their pronounciations from them. For example, Weasel is pronounced WEE-zuhl so you take the first part and put it into Weavile's name. So we now know that The first syllable of Weavile's name is WEE. So we look at the second syllable of Weavile now. Vile is pronounced vahyl. Now we know that the second syllable of Weavile's name. We take the first syllable and the second syllable and put them together. In conclusion, Weavile's name is pronounced WEE-vahyl. That's how you figure out the pronounciation of most of the Pokemon names. Some names do not follow this rule, such as Dialga. In the world Diamond, the first syllable is not pronounced as dee, but it is rather pronounced as DYE. In Dialga's name, it is pronounced dee-A which shows how some words and Pokemon names can differ. Sometimes, I wouldn't recommend looking and watching the anime because the pronounciations sometimes differ slightly from episode to episode. Suicune was pronounced SWEE-koon but was later pronounced swee-KOON. The accents sometimes change. But chances are the anime is more accurate, so keep your eye on the anime for a while.

Horyo
June 15th, 2008, 05:15 PM
I say Die-Al-Guh too, and I call Giratina Gir-rah-teen-uh.

RSL
June 15th, 2008, 05:23 PM
There is no correct pronounciation for Pokemon. Period. (I also can assume that the average American can't read Japanese: Pachirisu, at the very least, is pronounced PAHtch-E-REES. You don't pronounce the U at the end.)

But still, there is no "correct" pronounciation. Even the word "Pokemon" isn't safe. (A poll that used to be here said the vast majority of us here say poh-KA-mon, not poh-KAY-mon or poh-KEY-mon.)

So when it comes to pronounciations, be like Jesus and accept them all.

Horyo
June 15th, 2008, 05:47 PM
I think the "u" in pachirisu is unpronounced because when they get to "ris" there is a slight "u" sonud.

pokeant
June 15th, 2008, 08:08 PM
any one know about arceus? is it ar-cius?

liam.sherif
June 16th, 2008, 04:45 AM
In the next gens pokedex there should be a phonetic name next to their writen name. Just to stop this mispronunciation happening any more.

Halcyon
June 16th, 2008, 05:28 AM
Illumise. I pronouced it as ee-loo-mise
Then I see TV they pronouce it as ee-loo-me-say... LOL

Anyways, at first I thought Illumise is a fire-type Pokemon
because the pokedex says it is a firebug Pokemon...

ErickaVolt
June 16th, 2008, 07:00 AM
any one know about arceus? is it ar-cius?

I pronounce it as "Ar-cee-yous". As for Dialga I pronounced it as "Dee-ialga.

carter756978
June 16th, 2008, 07:58 AM
some things i can think of at the moment that i get wrong is, ray-quar-za which according to the anime is Ray-quay-za, i don't have a clue with bonsly, as the anime cant even decide. And before i couldnt pronounce pachirisu and i used to call dialga die-ag-la.

True Justice
June 16th, 2008, 07:59 AM
Watching the anime is what I do if I have no clue how to pronounce a name. But they pronounce Regice's name in 2 different ways in the anime. Theres Reg-ice (2 syllables) and Re-gi-ice (3 syllables). I'm not sure which one is right so I call it Re-gi-ice since all of the other Regi names state the type in it.

dragonsrule
June 16th, 2008, 11:09 AM
I used to pronounce Suicune 'Sue-wee-soon' I was way off with that.

RSL
June 16th, 2008, 12:03 PM
Watching the anime is what I do if I have no clue how to pronounce a name. But they pronounce Regice's name in 2 different ways in the anime. Theres Reg-ice (2 syllables) and Re-gi-ice (3 syllables). I'm not sure which one is right so I call it Re-gi-ice since all of the other Regi names state the type in it.

Phonectically, there's one 1 I present in the name.
The anime is also a bad source for pronounciations, since many errors occur.

There is no right or wrong. Ever.

Jorah
June 16th, 2008, 12:31 PM
I don't know if Giratina is pronounced Gir-AH-tina or Gir-a-TEEN-a. I have no clue how to pronounce Weavile, so I say it WEE-vill. I used to pronounce Staravia as Starvaria (with all those A's, I get confused)

I say gear-uh-tee-nuh

Staravia star-ay-vee-uh

I really like how accents can end up giving different pronounciations of words, I find it funny

Horyo
June 16th, 2008, 09:58 PM
I used to say Ray-Qua-Za, where the heck did the "quay" sound come in?!

hothead
June 16th, 2008, 10:11 PM
I do Not care about pronouciation it really dose not borther me i like them the way i say it thats its

RangerLunick
June 17th, 2008, 09:13 AM
The anime always pronounces the names weird, just pronounce it how its read. Much easier that way.

Cassino
June 17th, 2008, 01:22 PM
This is why I prefer their Japanese names — it's such an easy language in that area.

I've been told 4Kids or whoever decides this stuff made the Pokemon names something more Englishy to make pronunciation easier for youngsters, but the result is far from that in reality.

pokeant
June 18th, 2008, 01:55 AM
In the next gens pokedex there should be a phonetic name next to their writen name. Just to stop this mispronunciation happening any more.

Agree

some things i can think of at the moment that i get wrong is, ray-quar-za which according to the anime is Ray-quay-za, i don't have a clue with bonsly, as the anime cant even decide. And before i couldnt pronounce pachirisu and i used to call dialga die-ag-la.

i pronounce bonsly as bon-slee... but i think many pronounce it as bon-sly so i dun know which is correct, bt i heard the anime pronounce it as bon-slee once, and also bon-sly...

Jorah
June 18th, 2008, 12:05 PM
I agree the anime isn't always right. Not only do they switch between pronounciations sometimes but also it's an "American" way of pronouncing them eg. if Porygon Z was in the anime it would defininatly be pronounced Porygon Zee, but that doesn't make it right, just one of the possible pronounciations eg in the UK people would say Porygon Zed, since that is the way we say the letter Z.

i pronounce bonsly as bon-slee... but i think many pronounce it as bon-sly so i dun know which is correct, bt i heard the anime pronounce it as bon-slee once, and also bon-sly...

Isn't Bonsly a type of tree though? I suppose bon-sly is how you pronounce the tree

Team Poison
June 18th, 2008, 12:39 PM
It depends where your from because I say TOM-ART-O'S and you say TOM-ATE-O'S . (TOMATOES)

kAwAIi DeSU pIKAcHU
June 18th, 2008, 04:16 PM
i say stugh-rah-vee-ugh for staravia

how u all pronounce linoone

i say lih-noon

solopy567
June 18th, 2008, 04:55 PM
I make up my own.

For example, in the anime they say My-Lo-Tic
I say Me-Lo-Tic

Just make up your own, and those are the ones that are right

Tizaria
June 19th, 2008, 04:32 PM
I say Dialga as 'Die-Al-Gah' and Milotic as 'Mill-Ahhh-Tick'.

pokeant
June 20th, 2008, 07:54 PM
wonder y they make the names hard to pronounce...

Cosmic Tyrant
June 20th, 2008, 08:19 PM
Isn't Bonsly a type of tree though? I suppose bon-sly is how you pronounce the tree

You're reffering to the Bonsai Tree, A small tree that many sculpt into various shapes with shears. I'm not too clear on the exact reason, I've heard many reasons, ranging fromn simple hobby to relaxing therapudic method.

Anyhoo, I do have my own ways of pronounciation.

"Venasaur" - Others pronounce it "Vee-No-Saur", I use "Ven-nah-saur"

"Suicune" I pronounce it "Soo-Eh-Kewne"

There's others, but that's all I can think of now.

YOOM-TAH
June 20th, 2008, 08:57 PM
i too make up my own pronuciations, but then when the anime comes out i'm like "wtf! thats not how it's pronounced"

Haha I do the same thing. Like when I found out it was supposedly pronounced "BEE-doof" and I had always said "bih-DOOF". I prefer mine because it sounds more retarded, which is clearly what Bidoof is. XD

Azonic
June 21st, 2008, 12:25 AM
The official pronounciation for Pokemon is POE-keh-mon.

And in reference to my previous post, Bonsly is pronounced BOHN-sly since it is made up of the words Bonsai and Sly. Milotic is made up of the words Venus de Milo (famous sculpture in the french Louvre Museum) and exotic. Using those pronounciations, Milotic is pronounced my-LOE-tik.

And King Cosmic, you do realize that "Venasaur" is spelled as "Venusaur, making the pronounciations different. The origin of Venusaur comes from the Venus Fly Trap (a plant) and Dinosaur. Combining the pronounciations of the two words would add up to Venusaur being pronounced VEE-nuh-sore.

PikachuEX
June 21st, 2008, 11:41 AM
The dub always pronounces them weird. At first I thought Regice was Rej-ice, but once I saw the kana, I found out that it is pronounced Rej-ee-ice. Others are Staravia Star-ah-vee-uh, Bidoof Bih-doof, Rayquaza Ray-kwah-zuh. I still say Bidoof as Bih-doof, cause Bee-doof sounds more retarded that the Pokemon looks.

Mao
June 21st, 2008, 11:45 AM
Normaly I call Rayquaza Ray - Qua- Za but in the Destiny Deoxys movie It's pronounced Ray - Quay -za

YOOM-TAH
June 21st, 2008, 11:55 AM
Yeah I still Ray-quah-za...sounds better to me.

KKN
June 21st, 2008, 12:29 PM
I pronounce it as "Ar-cee-yous". As for Dialga I pronounced it as "Dee-ialga.

I pronounce Arceus as AR-SEE-US.

I used to call Dunsparce DUN-SPARE-ENSE. I have no idea where the "n" came from.

I also used to call Gardevoir GAR-DEV-EE-OR until I found out that it's GAR-DUH-VWAHR.

And a rather common one, CHAR-ZARD. It's CHAR-AH-ZARD.

YOOM-TAH
June 21st, 2008, 12:52 PM
Lol I think it's ar-CAY-us. Not sure, could probably go either way.

sandcrawler
June 21st, 2008, 01:25 PM
I liked how for say, the first ten episodes of the original series, the main characters pronounced Pokemon "PoH-KUH-mon." I hate how they say 'PoH-KAY-mon.'

Arceus, huh? It's always either 'AR-say-uhS' and occasionally 'AR-Cay-uhz.' Zapdos used to have an a between 'zap' and 'dos.'

Giratina = Jer-a-tihna. I dread the day.

RSL
June 21st, 2008, 02:02 PM
The official pronounciation for Pokemon is POE-keh-mon.

And in reference to my previous post, Bonsly is pronounced BOHN-sly since it is made up of the words Bonsai and Sly. Milotic is made up of the words Venus de Milo (famous sculpture in the french Louvre Museum) and exotic. Using those pronounciations, Milotic is pronounced my-LOE-tik.

And King Cosmic, you do realize that "Venasaur" is spelled as "Venusaur, making the pronounciations different. The origin of Venusaur comes from the Venus Fly Trap (a plant) and Dinosaur. Combining the pronounciations of the two words would add up to Venusaur being pronounced VEE-nuh-sore.

There are no right or wrong pronounciations.

Marksman
June 21st, 2008, 03:28 PM
It isn't vital if you mis-pronounce a Name. I used to say Bidoof as By-doof. But now I say Be-doof. You just learn.

:t152:

Azonic
June 21st, 2008, 04:03 PM
There are no right or wrong pronounciations.Yes, there are. Honestly, if you pronounce Bulbasaur as Blub-luh-slour then it's obviously wrong. There are right pronounciations, and possibly more than one. I just posted the most scientific way to approach the pronounciation of a certain Pokemon's name.

Marksman
June 21st, 2008, 04:08 PM
I still pronounce Electabuzz as El-ec-tra-buzz. But it's not Life-threatning. I learned now and Started today to Pronounce it as El-ec-ta-buzz. The important thing is that you learn from your Mistakes.

:t152:

KKN
June 21st, 2008, 06:02 PM
I remember when my aunt called Raichu RATTACHU! :O

RSL
June 22nd, 2008, 12:18 PM
Yes, there are. Honestly, if you pronounce Bulbasaur as Blub-luh-slour then it's obviously wrong. There are right pronounciations, and possibly more than one. I just posted the most scientific way to approach the pronounciation of a certain Pokemon's name.

What I meant was it was only 1 syllable away from the norm.

*Firestar*
June 22nd, 2008, 01:00 PM
I say Wee-vill but it is pronounced Wee viele

EDIT: I don't care too much about pronounciation because it is not an essential part of pokemon and I prefer to read them how they are spelt, easier that way. It is interesting though how some pokemon names are said completly different to how you think. =D

YOOM-TAH
June 23rd, 2008, 07:50 PM
^^Agree

Like in the show they say "miss-MAG-ee-us" instead of what it SHOULD be, "miss-MAYJE-yus" or "miss-MAYJE-ee-us".

pokeant
June 27th, 2008, 05:40 AM
what about missingno? some of my friends say it as missing-gu-no... i just say missing-no...

FalseDestiny
June 27th, 2008, 05:44 AM
I've pretty much figured them all out. Just ask and I can tell thou.

ErickaVolt
June 27th, 2008, 06:17 AM
what about missingno? some of my friends say it as missing-gu-no... i just say missing-no...

As far as I know, me and my friends pronounce it as Mis-sig-no. There's a silent n.

chaos11011
June 27th, 2008, 06:57 AM
I remember when my aunt called Raichu RATTACHU! :O
same thing here my uncle also called pikachu pe-da-two while my mom called plusle ploo-es-lyl

Jorah
June 27th, 2008, 12:13 PM

Well, missingno means "missing number" I suppose, so that's why I pronounce it missing-no as well

YOOM-TAH
June 27th, 2008, 12:18 PM
Well, missingno means "missing number" I suppose, so that's why I pronounce it missing-no as well

YES OMG THANKS YOU YOU ARE THE ONLY PERSON I'VE EVER MET WHO GOT IT RIGHT!!!

No. stands for number.

And whoever said it's mis-sig-no. No. Just wrong. I'm sorry, but I remember people saying that and I never understood why they left out the n for no reason. It makes no sense, that's not a silent n. It just stemmed from 10-year olds reading it quickly and saying it wrong and then it stuck.

Destiny Hope
June 27th, 2008, 02:52 PM
I don't know; I guess some people say Ray-quay-za instead of Ray-qua-za.

YOOM-TAH
June 27th, 2008, 02:56 PM
Also I'll point out that while the show says WEE-vile, SSB Brawl has it saying WEE-vul.

GKS
June 27th, 2008, 06:00 PM
These are Pokemon, I don't think there is any right or wrong pronunciation. The only exception to being wrong if they say it differently in the anime.