PDA

View Full Version : iPhones: Is it worth getting one?

Wish
June 22nd, 2008, 03:03 PM
So, I just visited my local AT&T store and I was looking for a phone. The man there said that there will be a drop in the price for 8 GB iPhones. I just want to ask my fellow PC members if is it worth getting it. I currently have a Motorola RAZR v3xx and I had it for about a year. It is working fine, but since my contract expired, I'm eager in getting a new phone. So is there another phone like the iPhone that is cheaper in anyway.

So what I am basically asking is it worth it to get the iPhone? Tell me everything.

Gerri Shin
June 22nd, 2008, 03:53 PM
well I would advise that if you do decide to get an iPhone, WAIT UNTIL JULY when they roll out the new model. yes it will be more expensive than the discounted current model, but it will have many improvements that customers who already bought the original iPhones wanted. (just a quick list of new features: 3G internet instead of slow old EDGE, added support for apps and homebrew apps, remote wipe, a better speaker on the bottome and a flush headphone jack instead of the recessed one so you can use any head-hones with it, Extended battery power, and added support for networking.)
the only reason to go with an older model is if you really want an iPhone and it's a price closer to a smaller budget.

supertails
June 22nd, 2008, 04:42 PM
I'd say no. Mainly cause I'm a purest or simplest when it comes to things like this. A simple monthly plan is all anyone needs but I have prepaid since I rarely talk on the phone anyway. Either way it's best to go simple.

Wish
June 22nd, 2008, 04:46 PM
well I would advise that if you do decide to get an iPhone, WAIT UNTIL JULY when they roll out the new model. yes it will be more expensive than the discounted current model, but it will have many improvements that customers who already bought the original iPhones wanted. (just a quick list of new features: 3G internet instead of slow old EDGE, added support for apps and homebrew apps, remote wipe, a better speaker on the bottome and a flush headphone jack instead of the recessed one so you can use any head-hones with it, Extended battery power, and added support for networking.)
the only reason to go with an older model is if you really want an iPhone and it's a price closer to a smaller budget.

Will that mean if I got an 8 Gig, I won't have the new features since it is discontinued?

Gerri Shin
June 22nd, 2008, 05:05 PM
that is mostly correct, you may get to buy and upgrade to allow the older model to interact with the new app store and MobileME. Things like 3G, Co-Op with MS exchange, and the hardware upgrades will not be available.

supertails
June 22nd, 2008, 08:43 PM
After they basically just came out and already their becoming out of date. Why get one at all?
</div>

j_
June 22nd, 2008, 10:44 PM
After they basically just came out and already their becoming out of date. Why get one at all?
</div>

12 months is not basically just came out. Seriously, there's no point being annoyed about a new stuff coming out! Things get old all the time, and new stuff replaces them. It's part of the problem of being an early adopter (but most early adopters, we understand and don't really mind!)

I get a free upgrade to the new iPhone anyway :P

Voltagenic
June 23rd, 2008, 06:14 PM
No; for half the price you can get a better phone that does everything it does and more.

Gerri Shin
June 23rd, 2008, 06:32 PM
No; for half the price you can get a better phone that does everything it does and more.
Please let me know which Phone you might be trying to refer to. I have yet to find that one.

Jabunks
June 23rd, 2008, 06:48 PM
Absolutely
Anyone who tells you that they suck are wrong and can't take care of anything they own.

The're great, but if you DO decide to get an iPhone, wait until the new iPhone is realesed. It will be twice as fast, and half the price.

So, I just visited my local AT&T store and I was looking for a phone. The man there said that there will be a drop in the price for 8 GB iPhones. I just want to ask my fellow PC members if is it worth getting it. I currently have a Motorola RAZR v3xx and I had it for about a year. It is working fine, but since my contract expired, I'm eager in getting a new phone. So is there another phone like the iPhone that is cheaper in anyway.

So what I am basically asking is it worth it to get the iPhone? Tell me everything.

evilcheese
June 24th, 2008, 10:15 AM
Wait there is a drop in price for the 8gb? i though they were making a cheaper 4gb.

Gerri Shin
June 24th, 2008, 11:09 AM
Nope they're lowering the prices for both 8 and 16gb models of the 3G in july. the new prices are 199 for the 8gb and 299 for the 16gb. (prices are the same no matter where you are on the globe, so the 8gb is $199usd and €199 as well)

evilcheese
June 24th, 2008, 11:52 AM
Well the price is ok as long as you don't mind paying 30$ a month for it.

PowerMac
June 30th, 2008, 09:09 PM

Everyone with the older iPhones will get a free update to the iPhone 2.0 software. So even if you have an old iPhone Model it will have all the same software features as the new ones. Just not the new hardware updates.

Id say Apple is doing their best to keep the people with the old hardware in the loop, unlike most Phone Manufacturers.

Gunn
June 30th, 2008, 09:31 PM
Please let me know which Phone you might be trying to refer to. I have yet to find that one.

Sounds like the Helio Ocean to me. This chart made it clear:
http://compare.helio.com/

wakachamo
July 1st, 2008, 06:15 AM
that is mostly correct, you may get to buy and upgrade to allow the older model to interact with the new app store and MobileME. Things like 3G, Co-Op with MS exchange, and the hardware upgrades will not be available.

Wrong. Exchange support isn't restricted to the new iPhone 3G model. Older iPhone models will still be able to talk to Exchange servers.

Chibi-chan
July 1st, 2008, 06:27 AM
If you're a person that likes to do other things than call people with an iPhone, then it has a lot of fun features worth noticing as well. I'm not that much of a phone person, but I'd want an iPhone for the Youtube and internet access as well. Connecting to the internet from your pocket is fun and easy for getting quick phone numbers or just watch a video when bored. Also, if you're into games, I'm pretty sure you can get some mods for it to play GBA games...I've seen it done on an iTouch personally. Not to mention the iPod half of the iPhone with the availability to put music and video on it. Those are some benefits I personally like about it.

Alex_
July 2nd, 2008, 09:29 PM
No; for half the price you can get a better phone that does everything it does and more.Wow, the new iPhone 3G 8 gig models are $200 with a new contract...You can find a phone that does everything the new iPhone does for 100 bucks?

ScyKinG
July 3rd, 2008, 01:32 PM
Dont you have to buy a phone battery every 3-4 months? And they are about 90$ if so I dont see why it be worth it.

Virtual Chatot
July 3rd, 2008, 01:56 PM
Dont you have to buy a phone battery every 3-4 months? And they are about 90$ if so I dont see why it be worth it.Ehem
Apple.com
iPhone Owners
Your one-year warranty includes replacement coverage for a defective battery. You can extend your coverage to two years from the date of your iPhone purchase with the AppleCare Protection Plan for iPhone. During the plan’s coverage period, Apple will replace the battery if it drops below 50% of its original capacity. If it is out of warranty, Apple offers a battery replacement for $79, plus $6.95 shipping, subject to local tax. Apple disposes of your battery in an environmentally friendly manner.There are also numerous third party batteries that work wonderfully for the iPhone, and are much cheaper than Apples.
...and no, you do not have to replace the battery every 3 to 4 months, that's just dumb -_-;

mewthree w/armor
July 3rd, 2008, 02:46 PM
I would have LOVED to get an IPhone, but Verizons 60 Million Customers don't get that option T_T.

I got an ENV 2 instead. A Sexy yet safe phone.

score_under
July 3rd, 2008, 02:49 PM
I think (as Maddox says) that the better idea is Nokia E70. Purely for the reason that it's less eye-candy and more functionality (great for a developer, not great for an average guy).

@Virtual Chatot: Oh, your custom title must be referring to Linux on a cheap PC. (Yes, yes, I'm joking, but this opinion still stands)
@Mewthree w/ armor: Hehe, you made a double post!

Virtual Chatot
July 3rd, 2008, 03:03 PM
@Virtual Chatot: Oh, your custom title must be referring to Linux on a cheap PC. (Yes, yes, I'm joking, but this opinion still stands)No, I'm actually referring to Apple's slogan for the new 3G iPhone. ( But yes, Linux is cheap -_-; )

Wish
July 3rd, 2008, 03:19 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys, I am getting an iPhone via AT&T. When is the official release date, was it pushed forward since I last went to my AT&T store?

wakachamo
July 4th, 2008, 05:31 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys, I am getting an iPhone via AT&T. When is the official release date, was it pushed forward since I last went to my AT&T store?

Should be July 11th for all stores.

Gerri Shin
July 4th, 2008, 08:05 PM
I would have LOVED to get an IPhone, but Verizons 60 Million Customers don't get that option T_T.

I got an ENV 2 instead. A Sexy yet safe phone.

I feel quite the same as you, though I've gone with the ENV1 (v.2 looks bulky, and the front screen is squished)

but yes the release date should be July 11. for those who are thinking of getting one I'd suggest taking a look at this page (http://www.engadget.com/2008/07/01/atandt-announces-iphone-3g-pricing-plans/) and the video within to see if you are iReady yet and to make sure your pruchase goes quickly and smoothly. [Linky] (http://www.engadget.com/2008/07/01/atandt-announces-iphone-3g-pricing-plans/)