PDA

View Full Version : Old Evolution Methods?

Guitar God in Training
June 26th, 2008, 05:21 AM
Has anyone else noticed that in each generation there are no new pokemon that evolve using evolution methods which were introduced in previous generations?

Instead of introducing loads of new evolution methods, maybe the next generation could introduce some new pokemon which evolve with a water/thunder/fire/leaf stone or by trading without an item attached.

Thoughts?

Edit: Maybe I should have posted this in general pkmn discussion?

AJ™
June 26th, 2008, 05:46 AM
Has anyone else noticed that in each generation there are no new pokemon that evolve using evolution methods which were introduced in previous generations?

Instead of introducing loads of new evolution methods, maybe the next generation could introduce some new pokemon which evolve with a water/thunder/fire/leaf stone or by trading without an item attached.

Thoughts?

Edit: Maybe I should have posted this in general pkmn discussion?

Nearly every pokemon evolves with "old methods"
They evolve by leveling up, and i'm sure that was introduced in R/B/Y :P

Glaceon_
June 26th, 2008, 06:40 AM
Nearly every pokemon evolves with "old methods"
They evolve by leveling up, and i'm sure that was introduced in R/B/Y :P

GGT means by use of items or trading; the lesser noticed aspect of evolutions, such as evolving by levels, isn't counted, because its a universal trait, and you don't need two consoles to level them up, do you? =P

However, the Stones are also neglected, as well. Sometimes, you only see them a couple of times, needed for use to evolve a Pokemon, such as the Sun Stone; to my knowledge, that only evolves Gloom to Bellossom and Sunkern to Sunflora. (if there are more, please point out) That was back in Generation II, and no others have come along. They've even added more stones to neglect, later on down the line.

I can understand some being one-off evolutions, such as Feebas evolving with the Beauty Contest Stat pretty much maxed out, but the Stones; namely Fire, Leaf, Moon, Sun, Thunder and Water, have a much broader sense than others. There are a lot of possibilities with them; particularly the Fire Stone, which belongs to the most neglected type in all the Pokemon Generations. (excluding Legendaries)

Trade evolutions, I wasn't so fond of, to begin with, but.. its true that they're beginning to neglect that, as well, by ways of adding items to be held, before the Pokemon will evolve in the trade. To me, this is a pretty horrible aspect, and just beating a dead horse on forcing players to trade to get certain Pokemon to evolve; much like their gimmick of only allowing people to obtain certain Pokemon (Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Deoxys, etc.) via a certain Japanese Generation, (Celebi for GSC JAP) or via Events that stand great distances from certain people. (more so for America; not everyone lives near one of the venues)

So while the trade evolutions are still there, they're just throwing one-off items into the mix, to try and "spice it up", but when you can't find the item you want; that's when it starts getting tedious.

But all-in-all, if they go for a Fifth Generation, it'd be fun to see them use some of the old methods of evolution. My pile of Fire Stones are itching for some new Pokemon to evolve, over the Flareon, Ninetales and Arcanine they left us with.

AJ™
June 26th, 2008, 06:43 AM
I was just trying to be a smart arse :P

Guitar God in Training
June 26th, 2008, 07:59 AM
I was just trying to be a smart arse :P

And you are Forgiven.:D

Anyway... It would be cool if there were some new pkmn with more than one evolution stage that used the stones.
Like a pokemon which evolves by level up and then evolves into it's next form by an evolution stone or something.

AJ™
June 26th, 2008, 08:05 AM
And you are Forgiven.:D

Anyway... It would be cool if there were some new pkmn with more than one evolution stage that used the stones.
Like a pokemon which evolves by level up and then evolves into it's next form by an evolution stone or something.

*Points to Oddish -> Gloom -> Bellossom* ???

Horyo
June 26th, 2008, 08:51 AM
I liked the stones method too...mainly because I can dig for them instead of suffering from a limited use [:< (I still think leaf stone should have made Eevee into Leafeon, although I understand why they chose not to)

I do enjoy the new evolution methods though, it adds variety and intrigue to the game.

Ninja Aiden
June 26th, 2008, 09:38 AM
I think they should make few ne wpokemon with evo's and make the evolvolutions evolve by stone. That would be nice, and fun because you can dig for the stones as well.

Guitar God in Training
June 26th, 2008, 10:06 AM
*Points to Oddish -> Gloom -> Bellossom* ???

I completely forgot about those. I was mainly thinking of pkmn like Staryu and Shellder which only evolve once.

I think they should make few ne wpokemon with evo's and make the evolvolutions evolve by stone. That would be nice, and fun because you can dig for the stones as well.

Yeah. It's way too easy to get the evolution stones seeing as there aren't many pokemon that need them.
Maybe they should recode the items so they can be held to power up certain moves.
water/thunder/fire/leaf stone > same type moves
sun stone > psychic moves? morning sun/solarbeam?
moon stone > dark moves? cosmic power/night shade?

paperfunk
June 26th, 2008, 12:15 PM
do you guys think its possible that nintendo will introduce a fourth evo into the mix?

por ejemplo: dratini---->dragonair---->dragonite---->????

is it possible? i think it would be interesting.

YOOM-TAH
June 26th, 2008, 12:17 PM
I agree, especially since they give you all those stones in the underground, and there's not much opportunity to use them!

Glaceon_
June 26th, 2008, 01:15 PM
There's not really any ground for Fourth Evolutions. Which is why Branch Evolutions were introduced, I believe. That, and think logically for a minute.. it might sound cool for a Dragon to get a Fourth, but really.. what the hell could it be, since Dragons are pretty much fully developed, by the time they get to their third stage?

If they introduce Fourth Stages for Pokemon, that'll be when we know for a fact that they have run out of ideas.

Branch Evolutions over Fourth Evolutions, in my opinion. They might be prying on later Stage Pokemon, but I'd rather that, than pry in a completely weird, different and rather useless way.

For area-specific evolution, they'd likely have to have an area in the next Generation (if another comes, which it probably will) that mimics the requirements needed to evolve, should they allow people to acquire these Pokemon in-game, or have to trade them across from D/P/P.

Though wouldn't it be brilliant if they released an All-Regions Generation game, where you could go where you please? Wishful thinking, I know.. but still.. XD

paperfunk
June 26th, 2008, 01:37 PM
i wasnt saying dratini in particular, just as an example...

GKS
June 27th, 2008, 09:07 AM
I liked the leveling up by level the most, it just feels better to have a Pokemon evolve because you worked it up to a certain level. There should be more Pokemon that evolve from stones, except for moon stones (we have enough of that). But if this is the case in the next generation, if there is one, then I hope we have an unlimited chance of getting these stones, like in D/P (you could just mine it up, I'm pretty sure it never runs out ;)).

J-Rad
June 27th, 2008, 09:24 AM
Happyness disproves your theory...