PDA

View Full Version : Who pays the Trainers?

Tenbinza
June 26th, 2008, 07:07 AM
This is something I've been wondering for a while now. Where do you get the money from winning a pokemon battle against a trainer?

Since you lose half your money when you lose, I asume the winning trainer gets to pick the losing trainer's pocket. Why? This makes the likes of Team Rocket sound like saints!

Red1530
June 26th, 2008, 07:12 AM
I guess the trainers agree to wager half of what they have on their person. And since the wager was voluntarily agreed to, no law was broken.

Avey
June 26th, 2008, 07:14 AM
I'd say that the parents' of the trainer give him or her some money before he or she sets off in order to be able to buy items. I'd say it's the norm that trainers wager half of their money on the outcome of the battle, a rule set down by the authorities.

Idiot!
June 26th, 2008, 07:15 AM
So explain the lost of one half of the money when defeated by wild Pokémon.

Blaziken11
June 26th, 2008, 07:19 AM
That is strange. The lost money with wild pokemon thing. Maybe they...sneak in your pocket when your whited out?

Horyo
June 26th, 2008, 08:43 AM
Wait, if you lose to a trainer/wild pokemon, don't you white/black out?

That means...The POKEMON CENTER takes your money!!

Twinx
June 26th, 2008, 08:53 AM
Wait, if you lose to a trainer/wild pokemon, don't you white/black out?

That means...The POKEMON CENTER takes your money!!
But if you beat a trainer, you get paid from the trainer..
Which means if you loose to a trainer, you have to pay him as well..

Horyo
June 26th, 2008, 08:57 AM
Well maybe we're just money-grabbers xP

Well maybe they pay half to the trainers upon losing.
And half to the pokemon center when whiting out from pokemon.

Magmortified
June 26th, 2008, 08:58 AM
That is strange. The lost money with wild pokemon thing. Maybe they...sneak in your pocket when your whited out?

"I have his wallet!"
"To Celadon!"

The trainsers wager money between each other, spend cash at the Pokemart to put it back into the economy, parents get paid and give some cash to new trainers to put the cash back in. That's how I picture things. =P Either that, or Nintendo gives payments simply for being in the game and they battle it out for bonuses.

Pkmn Trainer Landon
June 26th, 2008, 09:59 AM
I dont't understand why you black/white out, cause if you defeat a normal trainer he/she does not whit/black out. What Magmortified said seem logical to me.

FalseDestiny
June 26th, 2008, 01:19 PM
You probably have a nasty tendency to get hit by a stray attack when you lose?

KKN
June 26th, 2008, 01:44 PM
You probably have a nasty tendency to get hit by a stray attack when you lose?

Or you're so surprized that you lost that you faint.

youngmarth
June 26th, 2008, 04:34 PM
this is clearly a problematic plothole. someone email Nintendo now!!

GKS
June 26th, 2008, 07:06 PM
Doesn't Prof Oak say in the beginning of Fr/Lg that trainers get money when they beat others?

I never lost a battle almost (at least don't remember), in D/P I think, when I do, I often restart, lol.

Horyo
June 27th, 2008, 02:41 AM
I'm surprised TR plays by the rules.

If yo lose to grunts, you only lose half the dough, rather than all.

Azonic
June 27th, 2008, 02:56 AM
Perhaps I can aid you guys of some logical reasoning. We all know that if the trainer loses in combat to another trainer or Pokemon, the trainer has to pay some money. Just like all of the other games, when you won a trainer you get cash. What FireRed and LeafGreen introduced was that if you lost, you had to pay money to the opponent. What's strange about this fact is that you have to pay money to a wild Pokemon if your team loses against a wild Pokemon. My guess is that since the defending Pokemon never fainted when all of your team did, the defending Pokemon is clueless and keeps on attacking while you have to try to find a way to get away from the wild Pokemon. You could drop the money on your way to a Pokemon Center. That, there, is probably the most logical explanation to this problem. I highly doubt that a Pokemon could pick your pocket.

Gunn
June 27th, 2008, 02:57 AM
I remember in Gold/Silver you could have your mom save some of your earnings for you. Yeah ... I dunno, maybe that can be something to think about.

kohei
June 27th, 2008, 03:43 AM
Perhaps I can aid you guys of some logical reasoning. We all know that if the trainer loses in combat to another trainer or Pokemon, the trainer has to pay some money. Just like all of the other games, when you won a trainer you get cash. What FireRed and LeafGreen introduced was that if you lost, you had to pay money to the opponent. What's strange about this fact is that you have to pay money to a wild Pokemon if your team loses against a wild Pokemon. My guess is that since the defending Pokemon never fainted when all of your team did, the defending Pokemon is clueless and keeps on attacking while you have to try to find a way to get away from the wild Pokemon. You could drop the money on your way to a Pokemon Center. That, there, is probably the most logical explanation to this problem. I highly doubt that a Pokemon could pick your pocket.
Blacking out = Rushing to the Pokemon Center, as Raikazu points out.
Heck, doesn't DP actually say this to clear away the confusion?

Although I admit, the player must have a faulty wallet or shallow pocket if he drops money 100% of the time he loses to a wild Pokemon.

Alternative theory:
You bribe wild Pokemon with money to let you go if they beat you. After all, wild Pokemon need to pay rent and pay bills too.

Wut.

Bekki
June 27th, 2008, 06:54 AM
Right that is a good point but then how much money does the trainers actually have? Even if you use amulet coin you can get loads of money from them. This is actually a good thread. Debatable to.

Darkrai Lv X
June 27th, 2008, 07:14 AM
I thought that it was one of the Pokemon League rules that is you win,the other trainer gives you half of their money,and if you lose,you give them half of your money....

Crimson Arcanine
June 27th, 2008, 07:18 AM

Sure they can :D. I blame the local Zigzagoon population. XD

GKS
June 27th, 2008, 08:02 AM
Don't think too much about it, it is like the only working system Nintendo can come up with, they had other systems in the metal generations, I know. After all this is a game, but I would like to see more changes in future games.

Horyo
June 27th, 2008, 05:12 PM
I still think you pay for Pokemon Center for being a bad trainer when losing to one wild.

Jabunks
June 27th, 2008, 07:04 PM
I'd say its part of the sinnoh leauge's rule every trainer has to obey. Team rocket how ever, uh..runs of and drops some money? (Shrug)

.emerald
June 27th, 2008, 07:09 PM
wait... maybe the wagered money goes in a chain like in our industry.... money is past to a trainer who won, then he lost & has to give half of it to the victor & so on & so on.....................

airconditioning
June 27th, 2008, 07:53 PM
I think it's just a mechanic put into the game for the sake of gameplay. Case in point, I've never seen it in the anime or in any of the manga. Had it really been part of the world (and not simply a gameplay mechanic), it would have showed up at some point in another medium.

I think it was mainly put in to emulate the mechanics of other popular RPGs, namely Dragon Quest. After all, people would be more willing to play something that resembles the most popular video game ever created. However, to be logical, wild Pokemon couldn't drop money- only trainers could have money. As such, they pay you for winning. Either that, or battling wild Pokemon for money would simply give the player too much money (buying things isn't particularly important in the game, outside of Pokeballs. The PokeCenter heals for free.). Not to mention that a penalty needs to be given for losing. Having half of your wallet taken and being sent to the last Pokecenter you visited provide suitable motivation to not lose.

Now that I think about it, Gamefreak could have easily used Earthbound's system of monetary gain (call in on your father every now and then, and receive money from him based on how much EXP you get). It probably would have fit better within the world, and would have placed less of an emphasis on gambling and wagering (not that there was much of an emphasis before).

Sydian
June 27th, 2008, 08:05 PM
Now that I think about it, Gamefreak could have easily used Earthbound's system of monetary gain (call in on your father every now and then, and receive money from him based on how much EXP you get). It probably would have fit better within the world, and would have placed less of an emphasis on gambling and wagering (not that there was much of an emphasis before).

Considering some people, like my sister, don't even train very much(or well, for that matter), that might not work.

But, as to who pays the trainers, our taxes.

sirboulevard
June 28th, 2008, 01:11 AM
Well, in reality it was a gameplay thing, but in universe money comes from a variety of sources (and all of them have examples in various media)
1) Younger trainers are usually given money by their parents as a way to support themselves. This money is won or lost in battle so the trainers spread this money amongst themselves.
2) Trainers who compete in Tournaments and sanctioned events like the Indigo League or Contests win a monetary prize based on how well they do.
3) Professional trainers, coordinators and other pokemon related occupations get money various ways:
a)Gym Leaders and League members get a salary from the Pokemon League as well as a stipend to run their facilities
This was mentioned in the Pokemon Special Manga
b)Gyms hire trainers to serve as Gym Assistants who clean and referree matches
c) Pokemon Centers are run by the Pokemon League, but only charge money when you black out for needed medical supplies
4) Trainers take on jobs when not training. Ash has done this several times in the Anime and The Electric Tale of Pikachu Manga.

This is supported by the media and makes perfect sense. Trainers would be great source of work for businesses and it's very economical.

Cassino
June 28th, 2008, 08:59 AM
I don't think there is a logic to it, and there doesn't need to be one, it's a game in the end. Every RPG character's money (except the player's) is drawn from the air.

airconditioning
June 28th, 2008, 09:46 AM
Considering some people, like my sister, don't even train very much(or well, for that matter), that might not work.

Wait, as in, you never battle? Well, to get money, you need to battle other trainers anyway, so by your logic, you'd be broke no matter which method was used. :/

.emerald
June 28th, 2008, 09:55 PM
Wait, as in, you never battle? Well, to get money, you need to battle other trainers anyway, so by your logic, you'd be broke no matter which method was used. :/

what the heck!!! not a single one!!!!
or you dont like to battle???

kohei
June 29th, 2008, 03:47 AM
New cash systems which may work:

- Pocket money system like Earthbound/Mother 2, as proposed by AC
* Pros: Goes well with the story setting of Pokemon.
* Cons: Need to phone dad/mom/uncle/unseen benefactor each time you need to withdraw money.

- Sponsor system: Sponsors pay you cash to promote their Pokemon items, and pay you after a big fight.
* Pros: In the end, you will have a lot of sponsors and you'll have no economic problems... ever.
* Cons: Gathering sponsors as a new trainer is hard, and the results of losing will be quite big. Losing sponsors is painful.

- Bounty system: Certain enemies have a bounty on their heads. Beat them, bring them to the law enforcers and receive cash.
* Pros: Gives a challenge - people who have a large bounty = stronger.
* Cons: Why on earth would the peaceful world of Pokemon need a bounty system anyway? Criminals, in my Pokeymenz?

.emerald
June 29th, 2008, 05:12 AM
the bounty system is definitely the one....^_^"!

Tenbinza
June 29th, 2008, 06:11 AM
Well, the pocket money system could work with new trainers, the sponser system for gym leaders/ elite four + champion and the bounty system for trainers who fight evil organisations like Team Rocket, Team Magma, etc.

PowerMac
June 29th, 2008, 08:48 PM
New cash systems which may work:

- Pocket money system like Earthbound/Mother 2, as proposed by AC
* Pros: Goes well with the story setting of Pokemon.
* Cons: Need to phone dad/mom/uncle/unseen benefactor each time you need to withdraw money.

- Sponsor system: Sponsors pay you cash to promote their Pokemon items, and pay you after a big fight.
* Pros: In the end, you will have a lot of sponsors and you'll have no economic problems... ever.
* Cons: Gathering sponsors as a new trainer is hard, and the results of losing will be quite big. Losing sponsors is painful.

- Bounty system: Certain enemies have a bounty on their heads. Beat them, bring them to the law enforcers and receive cash.
* Pros: Gives a challenge - people who have a large bounty = stronger.
* Cons: Why on earth would the peaceful world of Pokemon need a bounty system anyway? Criminals, in my Pokeymenz?

I don't think sponsors would work very well in the game. Imagine if you had to take time to promote their items.

kohei
June 29th, 2008, 10:52 PM
I don't think sponsors would work very well in the game. Imagine if you had to take time to promote their items.
You know how Marlboro promotes on F1 cars right?
It'll be like that, except the company logo will be on your shirt/Pokeball etc.

.emerald
July 1st, 2008, 06:03 AM
yeah.... were does it all start anyway???