PDA

View Full Version : underused pokemon.

Blue Screen of Death
June 27th, 2008, 06:08 PM
I've heard of overused pokemon, but not under used pokemon. If you think of one, just add to my list. The list includes all evolutions of said pokemon, unless otherwise specified. So far the underused pokemon I know are:
Porygon
smeargle
sudowoodo
heracross
pinsir
scizor
beedrill
raticate
Pidgeot
solrock
lunatone

TurtleKing
June 27th, 2008, 06:10 PM
Heracross?? Are you smoking!? Heracross is definitely an OU!

JX Valentine
June 27th, 2008, 06:16 PM
Heracross?? Are you smoking!? Heracross is definitely an OU!

In fanfiction? Because I don't recall reading too many fanfics involving a Heracross.

Scizor, on the other hand... (Or at least, I'm pretty sure I've read a number of fics involving Scizor. Scizor's one of those "cool" Pokemon that, back in the GSC days, everyone and their mother wanted. So, naturally, it saw its fair share of fic time. Not so sure about today, though.)

To add to the list, a number of Water-types. Like Seel, Cloyster, Poliwhirl, and Goldeen. Sure, half of those Pokemon can't actually travel on land, but come on. It's not like there's never a trainer who picks one up, you know? And the obligatory Water GL usually has something cooler, like Starmie or Milotic, if I recall correctly.

txteclipse
June 27th, 2008, 06:20 PM
Furret (sp?). I don't see many of those, but they're fairly cool. Arbok maybe...and Seviper...Grimer and Muk...there's a lot more, but my mind isn't working correctly at the moment.

TurtleKing
June 27th, 2008, 06:26 PM
In fanfiction? Because I don't recall reading too many fanfics involving a Heracross.

Oh, I'm thinking game wise. My bad Jax. xD

But yeah, some UU Pokemon are the Nidos.

iLike2EatPiez
June 27th, 2008, 09:11 PM
If it's game-wise... Well, this thread doesn't belong in fanfiction. Tiers (OU, UU, et cetera) have absolutely nothing to do with fanfics. A good definition would be something along the lines of...

Tiers (in Pokemon)- Lists of Pokemon based on their preformance in online competitive battling.

For instance, Blissey, because of its Special Defense and HP, is OU (Overused), while Ampharos, because of its bad movepool, is UU (Underused). Competitive Tiers don't cross over into fanfiction, because as you can probably tell, you don't see Blisseys very often in fics, but they are one of the most commonly used Pokemon in competitive battling.

If you need a list Pokemon and the game-related Tiers they are in, go here:
http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/

As I said, though, the game-related terms "Overused" and "Underused" have nothing to do with fanfiction.

Crimson Arcanine
June 27th, 2008, 09:51 PM
There are pokemon in the fanfiction writing environment that are so commonity used its not funny.

Some that are too commonly used include: Vulpix & Ninetales, the older Eevee evolutions and Eevee, Pikachu and Raichu

But in the end, you should write about pokemon you want to write about. Out of all the fiction i've ever written on I've used these pokemon as main/plot important characters:- All Eevee Evos, Vulpix, Ninetales, Smeargle, Snorlax(in a crazy silly freeform peom), Absol, Growlithe, Lickitung(script style crossover) and Kangashkan. Not all of them were overly too much written about or my faves to write about, but stemed from ideas I had.

txteclipse
June 27th, 2008, 10:03 PM
while Ampharos, because of its bad movepool, is UU (Underused).

I love Ampharos...needs Tail Glow though...

Anyways! On topic! I personally have used all of the following: Latios, Latias, Houndour, Houndoom, Rayquaza, Gallade, Gardevoir, Scizor, Torkoal, Gengar, Suicune, Combee, Absol, Tyranitar, Weavile, Cacturne, and Mewtwo. About 90% of these are used a lot in fanfiction, but I like to think that you can use any pokemon as long as you develop it reasonably and don't solely use it for instant brownie points.

Ninja Caterpie
June 28th, 2008, 03:14 AM
Hmmm...
Wow...I never knew Porygon was UU! I was going to have a 1337-speaking Pory in my fanfic

This is an underused thread, correct?
Well, I don't see a lot of Zigzagoons around..
Nor Marills and Azumarills.

Alter Ego
June 28th, 2008, 07:15 AM
Well, the better part of the Sinnoh pokémon certainly fit this category. Just from the top of my head: Mothim (or anything from the Burmy line), Finneon/Lumineon, Shellos/Gastrodon, Croagunk/Toxicroak, Skorupi/Drapion, and Probopass are all teetering somewhere out there, along with goodness knows how many others. Also, the ones that would be generally tricky to handle in narration on account of having multiple brains or lacking clear modes of transport (Exeggutor, Dodrio, Diglett/Dugtrio, Weezing etc.) and just all those obscure little species like Castform and Kecleon that never seem to find their way anywhere. Fossils not called 'Aerodactyl' also tend to have a rough time.

You can't swing a dead Spinda around without hitting an underrepresented pokémon, really. :3

Grovyle42(Griff8416)
June 28th, 2008, 12:13 PM
AlterEgo: I've actually been wanting to use a Dodrio at some point, but I've already got a queue full of pokemon I plan on using, so he might have to wait.

I plan on using a handful of underused pokemon not because they're underused, but because they're some of my favorite pokemon.

Scarlet Weather
June 28th, 2008, 01:24 PM
*smacks for adding Scizor* Laertes from "Thief in the Night" says hi. So does Nightmare, from Dragonfree's fanfics (available in two colors! *shot'ed*) and various other fics dating from pre-Hoenn days.

Hmm... well, I never really payed attention. I will say this- Solrock and Lunatone need some love. I mean, seriously, they're giant floating rocks with psychic powers. How cool can you get? Plus, they're a great challenge for experienced writers. Ever wanted to know what a rock thinks? Now you can!

Don't forget to add Piloswine, Dunsparce, Octillery, and Qwilfish. Remember when we you guys were talking about assassination by Qwilfish in the Lounge? Good stuff. XD

Blue Screen of Death
June 28th, 2008, 09:21 PM
I thought of more:
Zigzagoon
linoone
whismur
loudred
exploud
hoot hoot
noctowl
chinchou
lanturn

Alter Ego
June 29th, 2008, 12:46 AM
Don't forget to add Piloswine, Dunsparce, Octillery, and Qwilfish. Remember when we you guys were talking about assassination by Qwilfish in the Lounge? Good stuff. XD

Of course I remember, silly; and I'm still trying to find a way to work that into my fic. *Brick'd* And I remember the floating Dunsparce getaway too. Good stuff, indeed. :3

The ones I mentioned are just a tip of the iceberg (though Qwilfish would fall under the category of pokémon without land movement); Smeargle, Wobbuffet, and Sableye, anyone? The list just goes on and on. =O

Konvict
June 29th, 2008, 02:16 AM
Medicham?
Ditto?
Bibarel (definitely)