PDA

View Full Version : Pokemon "Personification"

lnfamous
July 19th, 2008, 06:02 AM
Greetings

In this thread we will discuss what pokemon nintendo has choosen to "personify" something of resemblance or meaning. Me using this word as lightly as possible because i am unsure of the word i am looking for, we shall open the discussion up with what certain pokemon resemble and the possible meaning behind others. Then we shall discuss possible future pokemon and what to expect from them

opening up with the simple pokemon palkia
(discuss what it may stand for or resemble and pick a poke)

Mitchman
July 19th, 2008, 06:05 AM
XD palkia of course is something i cant say. Of course though the name meaning is from latin or something like that.

AJ™
July 19th, 2008, 06:08 AM
Palkia is supposed to personify the being and essence of space itself!

lnfamous
July 19th, 2008, 06:11 AM
good job aj
pick a pokemon and continue if you might
if not i will continue on with staryu

AJ™
July 19th, 2008, 06:12 AM
I pick Luxray!

Personify it people!
but i think this should've been posted in Pokemon General.

Mitchman
July 19th, 2008, 06:13 AM
Um luxray is the king of electric pokemon. Being a lion instead of the jungle he is king of electric pokemon. Get it?

AJ™
July 19th, 2008, 06:14 AM
Yeah,
Nice, your turn Darkcookie!

Mitchman
July 19th, 2008, 06:19 AM
Um pachirisu. And WHOEVER says that its a pikachu nockoff loses.

masterfun101
July 19th, 2008, 12:42 PM
Look up personify in the online dictionary. I'm to lazy to

moments.
July 19th, 2008, 04:25 PM
Pachirisu symbolizes joy and love as well as always being positive!

I choose you Weedle!
*Laughs*

AJ™
July 19th, 2008, 04:48 PM
Weedle symbolizes innocence, with a bite if you get it mad!

I choose Magikarp.

STK
July 19th, 2008, 04:50 PM
Weedle symbolizes the fact that looks can be deceiving. It's small, but it can poison you!

Go, Suicune!

The Bringer!
July 19th, 2008, 05:01 PM
Magikarp most likely resembles weakness, while it evolving shows that weakness can become great strength over time, I think...

As for Suicune, I'm at a loss. Probably something to do with purity and the being of water.

AJ™
July 19th, 2008, 05:05 PM
Magikarp most likely resembles weakness, while it evolving shows that weakness can become great strength over time, I think...

As for Suicune, I'm at a loss. Probably something to do with purity and the being of water.

Don't forget to name your own Pokemon!

moments.
July 19th, 2008, 09:27 PM
I will start a new one for everyone!
Abra!

Mitchman
July 19th, 2008, 11:16 PM
Abra is the simple mind a child that when filled with power is uncontrolable.
Shaymin.

moments.
July 19th, 2008, 11:21 PM
Shaymin symbolizes the Siren. Cute on the outside but inside it is powerful and dangerous.

I choose Wingull..

Sadistic Typhlosion
July 19th, 2008, 11:26 PM
Wingull is, quite obviously, a seagull, but I'm not sure about any other meaning to it. I'll give one, though: The reason they made it is to make players more annoyed with another Pokémon similar to Magikarp and Tentacool. >.<

...Absol.

moments.
July 19th, 2008, 11:30 PM
Lawl DON'T EVER INSULT TENTACOOL IN FRONT OF ME! =3
Absol is like the darkness. He is your worst fear when you don't know it but once you do can be a great companion. Like the HunchBack of Notre Dame..

Lucario..

Mitchman
July 19th, 2008, 11:31 PM
Is the force of nature protecting all. Like batman.
Um i say teh slappin fish magikarp!

moments.
July 19th, 2008, 11:33 PM
Magikarp shows that no matter how weak, small we are, everyone has potential inside them waiting to come free, you just need to learn to use it!

Rapidash.

Hiidoran
July 19th, 2008, 11:38 PM
Rapidash represents the intensity and beauty of fire. It moves so quickly that heat actually radiates from it's body.

I choose Ho-oh to discuss next.

BakingBluePotatoe
July 19th, 2008, 11:41 PM
(couldn't have said that better myself, Kuggles! *gives a Goron Amber Candy*)

Ho-Oh represents a rainbow of Love and Peace.

hm...

Bulbasaur.

(BTW: "A personification is a figure of speech that gives an inanimate object or abstract idea human traits and qualities, such as emotions, desires, sensations, physical gestures and speech." ~Wikipedia)

moments.
July 19th, 2008, 11:41 PM
I think Ho-Oh Symbolizes the sun... (Don't hurt me) It shows heat and fire in a radiant, beautiful form which is only matched by that of the sun..
Bulbasaur represents a seed. As you give it water and care, it will grow into a flower. It is just the beginning of a Circle of Life..
Onix.

Sadistic Typhlosion
July 19th, 2008, 11:44 PM
Just a plant/animal hybrid; a bit of a stereotype, if you ask me.

...Blaziken.

(The reason I held off on Blaziken for my first post is because I figured that most already know what it's based on. Ah, whatever.)

EDIT: Damn, beaten. >.<

moments.
July 19th, 2008, 11:46 PM
I think Blaziken has fully matured from Torchic which was cute and small. But it shows that everyone must grow up and embrace what they are given...

Bellosom

Sadistic Typhlosion
July 19th, 2008, 11:52 PM
It personifies the beauty of flowers, quite simply.

...Dunsparce. (This should be good. XD)

Hiidoran
July 19th, 2008, 11:54 PM
Hmm... Onix.
Could it be the personification of the earth? A mixture of the creatures that tend to dwell in it (burrowing, digging, slithering, etc.) and the element in which it occurs (dirt, mud, stone).

Dunsparce. Perhaps it represents that those that are hidden from the sun's beauty, do not inherit it's beauty. That's all I could think of. xD

Mew. (Should be an easy one. ;))

moments.
July 20th, 2008, 12:18 AM
Dunsparce symbolises the fact that life is not just. There are some things in this world that cannot compare to others but this does not stop us from loving or caring for it. Just because it is small, it is not useless.

Mew symbolizes a prophet / oracle. It is made up of all Pokemon and is made to lead them away from Darkness and into the light where all Pokemon can live peacefully together.

Togepi please!

Hiidoran
July 20th, 2008, 12:21 AM
Togepi represents true innocence or early life. It has technically emerged from it's egg... but it still walks in it.

How about... Cyndaquil?

moments.
July 20th, 2008, 12:23 AM
Cyndaquil is the early stages of Fire. Small and quite harmless looking, an ember is a leading cause of fires starting.

Drifloon?

AJ™
July 20th, 2008, 09:18 AM
Drifloon symbolizes the spirits of the dead floating away into the great beyond!

Pikachuuu!

Banjora Marxvile
July 20th, 2008, 10:47 AM
Pikachu could symbolize how something small could be more powerful than it looks...
Hmmm... what about... Taillow (Easy if you know its ability)

moments.
July 20th, 2008, 03:33 PM
Well I'm not going to look at it's ability. Here come super deep metaphor...
Taillow is a small bird which symbolizes balance. In the world of Pokemon there are beings so great that are capable of destroying towns and killing. But in this world, there are also Pokemon like Taillow which ordinary. It shows the innocence of the Pokemon world and how not everything is unrealistic...

Finneon.
This is such a fun game!

STK
July 20th, 2008, 04:37 PM
Finneon is symbolic of the fact that something that's pretty average can turn into something beautiful.

Now for my personal favorite...

Arbok!

moments.
July 20th, 2008, 04:41 PM
Arbok is a long venomous creature. But some would say that Arbok has unique beauty. Arbok symbolizes how one creature (Ekans) can turn into something better in all fields. It represents the transformation that each living thing goes through in evolution.

Go, go Venonat!

Hiidoran
July 20th, 2008, 05:00 PM
Venonat is the personification of what may lurk in the darkness. It's unruly and wild demeanor give the essence that it is deprived of civility. It's toxicity comes from it's connection with darkness.

How about.... Groudon?

moments.
July 20th, 2008, 05:37 PM
Groudon represents the Earth. The Earth is a force more powerful than anything else and changes to disrupt entire civilizations. Groudon is unpredictable and powerful.

Luvdisc.

Hiidoran
July 20th, 2008, 09:23 PM
I believe Luvdisc stands for, well, love.
It's heart shaped body, coupled with the fact that it swims only in warm waters, is a direct metaphor for the warm and fuzzy feeling all of our hearts get when they swim in the warm water's of love.
(Hiidoran can get cheesy too!)

I choose you, Doduo!

Banjora Marxvile
July 21st, 2008, 06:45 AM
Doduo shows that two heads can be better than one in some situations.

Time to choose... cherubi!

Mystery2009
July 21st, 2008, 09:56 PM
cherubi symbolizes that by following the light you can bollosom into something beautiful, and with that transformation those around you gain from your growth

lets go azelf
(hint look at stats)

Hiidoran
July 21st, 2008, 10:07 PM
Azelf is the living embodiment of willpower and balance. They way it slumbers within Lake Valor proves in it's trust in mankind to make it's own decisions.
(Not my best work. :\)

How about... Swinub?

Azonic
July 22nd, 2008, 08:06 AM
Swinub shows that even the tiniest of creatures and the weakest of animals can endure and survive the harshest and coldest storms if they have been equipped with the right... uh... things. XD

Failord Wailord

WalkingRejection
July 22nd, 2008, 08:25 AM
not sure, to show that even a large creature is care-free and not full of destruction?

-rotom

Mystery2009
July 22nd, 2008, 10:19 PM
failord-nothing intelligent need be said its just a fail......erm whale
rotom-the embodiment of electricty
lets rock...erm ground dugtrio

Hiidoran
July 23rd, 2008, 09:50 PM
Hmm...
Dugtrio represents power in numbers. While it's prevolution, Diglett, was quite weak, together Dugtrio can stand tall and demonstrate it's power.

Omastar!
(Old school. xD)

moments.
July 23rd, 2008, 11:38 PM
Omaster shows that great things can be learned from our past. By simply taking the time to look at what happened many years ago, we can find something great!

Ralts..

Mystery2009
July 24th, 2008, 12:28 AM
ralts is a representation of emotion. it shows that those with high and just sprits are rare in the world today.

smogon weezing!

moments.
July 24th, 2008, 12:45 AM
Weezing represents the harsh environments. Although his toxic smog is lethal to most living things, it manages to survive with inside him. This shows that everything is made a habitat by something.

Seel.

Hiidoran
July 24th, 2008, 12:49 AM
Seel represents the bliss and carefree nature that the sea itself may sometimes contain. It's playful and cute demeanor comes to an abrupt halt when it evolves into the powerful Dewgong. Showing just how the sea itself can change in an instant.

Chikorita.

Mystery2009
July 24th, 2008, 01:10 AM
chika having nature as an ally shows that defense can be a weapon itself

dont be a burden spritomb

Kerotan
July 24th, 2008, 06:06 PM
Chikorita displays how even the most delicate and fragile seed leaf can grow into something of great robustness.
(Okay, that doesn't really work for leaves, but it works for Chikorita, kind of.)
That wasn't the current one, but I felt like doing Chikorita. ^_^

Grrr. Spiritomb isn't really anything, he looks like some kind of portal. Oh well, i'll do him anyway.
Spiritomb reprisents the great evil that dwells within every spirit.

Okay, now I'll give you...
Mudkip! ^_^

Mystery2009
July 24th, 2008, 07:34 PM
mudkip is obviously a mudskipper. like its reprensentation it shows how diverse it is with the elements, and along with that shows great adaptability

go go breloom

moments.
July 24th, 2008, 10:05 PM
Breloom signifies that a flower can grow into something more. It's pre-form, Shroomish, is grumpy and quite boring. Breloom has evolved and shed it's boring factor to be the best it can be!

Natu?

Hiidoran
July 24th, 2008, 10:10 PM
Natu represents the mysticism that dwells within area's outside of modern society. Natu is found around ruins because it can connect to the ancient wisdom that once dwelled within.

Go, Skorupi!

moments.
July 24th, 2008, 10:16 PM
Skorupi represents something that seems weak but packs a powerful punch!
Skorupi may look innocent and even cute at times, but here lies a stinger and a powerful attitude waiting to erupt.

Camerupt..

Hiidoran
July 24th, 2008, 11:40 PM
Camerupt represents the earthliness that lives within larger creatures. The bigger an organism is, the more it's weight sinks into the ground. Therefore, Camerupt is very close to the ground and what lies within, magma.

Huntail, you're up next!

Mystery2009
July 25th, 2008, 12:52 AM
huntail represents the force of the sea. unlike its beautiful counterpart, its power is not to be taken lightly as its attack waves hit harder than concrete

we are ready for a change castform

Hiidoran
July 25th, 2008, 01:42 AM
Hiidoran will take the obvious route:
Castform represents the weather. As the weather changes, so does Castform.
It's regular shape of a water-molecule demonstrates that it's eager to change.

Dratini?

moments.
July 25th, 2008, 04:49 AM
Dratini like most of my other choices represents something which starts out small and becomes more powerful.

Oddish?

Gymnotide
July 25th, 2008, 05:08 AM
Oddish is the embodiment of innocence and ignorance; the balance between the two, plus the notion of frailty and/or desperation. Though weak and unaware, Oddish fights to be recognized amongst other Pokemon. Oddish - the newborn child!

My reasoning behind this is that it spends most of its time underground (like a radish...), isolated from the rest of the world. When it comes up during the nighttime, it is eager to explore the world, but is also very easily scared by it (Oddish is very timid, y'know). However, despite Oddish's frail demeanor, it is highly playful and willing to find new friends.

The next Pokemon is...
Mawile~

moments.
July 25th, 2008, 02:20 PM
Mawile is an outcast. It's large mouth / head make it seem like a bit of a freak to the other Pokemon and spends its time in the darkest of caves. It is the one who is left out, the one who longs for love and the one who needs a companion.

Sudowoodo?

Hiidoran
July 25th, 2008, 03:51 PM
Sudowoodo represents the earth. He looks like a plant, but he's really rock-type. Sudowoodo embodies all that lies within and upon the earth.

How about... Togekiss?

Mystery2009
July 26th, 2008, 01:18 AM
togekiss seems to represent the serenity of pokemon, as it never appears where there is strife.

this thread is not farfetch(ed)

moments.
July 26th, 2008, 01:39 AM
Farfetch shows determination.
No matter where he is or what he is doing, he is holding his leek.
He lives for his leek and loves it dearly even though it is an inanimate object...

Roselia?

Callandor
July 26th, 2008, 02:15 AM
Roselia repersents how beauity con also be deadly.

Lets see how you do Trapinch.

moments.
July 26th, 2008, 04:14 AM
Trapinch represents a trap... (duh..)
It lurks in the sand and when it comes across something, it will not let it escape.

Seedot.

Banjora Marxvile
July 26th, 2008, 07:52 AM
Seedot resembles how a little seed can turn into something bigger and better.

Hows about... Lucario?

Kerotan
July 26th, 2008, 01:56 PM
Someone already sent out Lucario... but... oh well.
Lucario represtents that within every true fighter, there is a very brave spirit and very strong Aura.
It shows that strength isn't the only key of a fighter, and is only a small aspect.
Next up...
Cubone! ^_^

moments.
July 26th, 2008, 02:41 PM
Cubone is like a small child and represents innocence. Because it is very shy and always carries around his favourite bone. When it grows into a Marowak, it is very much like a mother figure to Cubones.

Gible!

Yuoaman
July 26th, 2008, 04:03 PM
Gible represents that every powerful being was once small, but maybe not any less powerful...

I choose Spoink!

moments.
July 26th, 2008, 04:13 PM
Spoink mimics the image of a small child. It loves to have fun and reap mischief.
With it's spring it is almost uncatchable by it's parents.

Altaria!