• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Things you hate about gaming in this day and age.

Years
Title pretty much says it all, are there any things you dislike about gaming as a whole at the moment, or if not the actual gaming, things related to the gaming world in general even if not the games themselves?

I don't have any problems with the actual games myself, my issue lies more with the fact that gaming is often turned from something that is meant for fun and turned into extremly serious business...yep, you guessed it, I'm talking about console and game fanboys. These people are annoying as hell, getting angry when people say they don't like a certain game/console or if they like another one better, it's extremly childish and as I've said, takes the fun out of being a gamer at times. :/

so, what about you guys?

Kraka-chan

From the Kraka Club
Years
Hmm... I'm thinking along the lines of video game shovelwear, particularly the DS and Wii. Nothing irritates me more than all of the crappy Brain Training and Nintendogs rip offs that line the shop shelves.

*goes to a corner to sob quietly*

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Oct 1, 2021
When you go into game stores and there are thousands of cheap unknown games you or anyone else would ever buy. Also if you are looking, most guys who play games ar never gay, cute, or muscular which are things I look for(not all are strait, nerdy, and untanned sticks/or blobs but Its rare for all three.)

kohei

Pizzaman.
Years
Hmm... I'm thinking along the lines of video game shovelwear, particularly the DS and Wii. Nothing irritates me more than all of the crappy Brain Training and Nintendogs rip offs that line the shop shelves.

*goes to a corner to sob quietly*
Word.
Yet, it's sad when I found out the original Brain Training was a smash hit over here.

I'm also starting to get pretty irritated of the typically moe and cute character designs in J-RPGs right now.
I have no idea why it's limited to J-RPGs for me, since I'm fine with cute female characters in other game genres.

j_

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Oct 19, 2008
The obsession with high quality graphics annoys me somewhat. Stick me in front of Caesar III or Roller Coaster Tycoon and I'll more fun than playing the latest greatest flashy crap on the 360 or PS3!

Case in Point: I'm stting around at college playing Pokemon Yellow on my DS, and my friend walks over and says OMG SO OLD!!!1 Why do you still play that?!

/Sigh

Last edited:

Wormatsu

Reborn Pokémon Fanatic
Years
Any game that has old-school gamers that think they're better than others because they've been around longer or played the original game. Especially with Team Fortress Classic/Team Fortress 2 or Counter-Strike 1.6/Counter-Strike: Source. With both pairings, personally I enjoy the newer versions more, although the older versions give me those old-school memories, but there just have to be some... you-know-whos... that talk trash because you play the older/newer version. Either you're a noob because you play the new version (since "old-school always wins") or your computer sucks (since you "can't run the newer, better version").

Mitchman

Banned
Years
The obsession of graphic like above the violence and the fact that if you have protective parents and the wii is the only thing you have then you have to play video games with parents. I mean its fun with friends but its embarrasing when your dad kicks your hide and your friends in ssbb.

galford3427

One shall stand One shall fall
Years
I hate that there are so many Disney games about Hannah Montana and stuff that they stock those games everywhere but then when you go to look for one that may not be mainstream you cant find it. I have only seen .Hack//G.U. Vol 3 in stores (Not counting Gamestop) I never saw Vol 1 or 2. but there are 3 or 4 Hannah Montana Games.

Jeremy

<font color="deepskyblue">Sweetie</font>
Years
Well sweeties, I have a LIST of what I hate about gaming in this day and age.

1. Ignorant fanboys that bash. Seriously, those things are the worst kinds of trolls there are. I don't mind fanboys at all, for I'm a Nintendo fanboy, but the ones that bash another console with a valid or even plausible reason makes me sick.

2. Ignorant new gamers that are not willing to try the classics. I understand for younger gamers just getting into gaming, but I really can't stand people not wanting to play a game because it's "too old". That's just ridiculous. >>

3. Graphic obsessives. Remember the days when we only had 4 colors per sprite, and if there were more than 4 sprites on the screen it would flicker? Better yet, remember there only 2 colors on the screen? It makes me sick when people whine about a game's graphics, especially when people gripe about the Wii's graphics. Graphics NEVER make the game.

4. "Modern day gamers." People call themselves gamers and only play Halo, Guitar Hero, and/or Madden aren't real gamers. Just casual. =p

5. People think when a game is too "kiddy". I hate when people say that because they don't realize that games themselves are toys. =p

6. Shovelware. How many times do I have to see Petz and Imagine? *Glares at Ubisoft.*

7. Grand Theft Auto as a scapegoat. It's the parent's fault, enough said sweeties.

There sweeties, I think I got everything off my chest. XD

SBaby

Dungeon Master
Years
  • Seen Apr 9, 2015
The emphasis on graphics and eye candy over gameplay and storyline.

Years
  • Seen Sep 9, 2008
Coming out with a game right after or simultaneously with a movie. When you rush something where people working on it aren't familiar with the movie (and the developers don't even know if it'll be a big enough movie to require a game). I'm pretty sure the creativity and funness of the game increases exponentially for every week they DON'T release it after the movie.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 5, 2017
Everything about it, in every 50 new games that are released I will probably like 1. and that if you do have a new gen console you are considered a game freak/nerd and if you don't you are considered poor -.- bless the modern youth.

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Oct 1, 2021
The obsession with high quality graphics annoys me somewhat. Stick me in front of Caesar III or Roller Coaster Tycoon and I'll more fun than playing the latest greatest flashy crap on the 360 or PS3!

Case in Point: I'm stting around at college playing Pokemon Yellow on my DS, and my friend walks over and says OMG SO OLD!!!1 Why do you still play that?!

/Sigh

How did you manage to get your Yellow to fit into the DS properly? They dont fit. Anyway, quality graphics is one of the best ways to connect with the best of todays technology.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Aug 3, 2022
How did you manage to get your Yellow to fit into the DS properly? They dont fit. Anyway, quality graphics is one of the best ways to connect with the best of todays technology.

I think he just meant it as an example of what happens.

Everything I hate has already been said, mainly the graphics over gameplay problems which some companys have.

moments.

quixotic
Years
What I hate about gaming nowadays is that some people are lost in graphics and hardly even want to have fun. They would rather watch their magical Blu Ray or HD than play some decent games.
I feel that the good old days of N64 and the original Nintendo games are gone although I still love playing them.

Years
  • Age 118
  • Seen Jan 25, 2022
Everything about it, in every 50 new games that are released I will probably like 1. and that if you do have a new gen console you are considered a game freak/nerd and if you don't you are considered poor -.- bless the modern youth.

So what about the rich Kids that have the money but don't want one?
I have a Wii but I'm not a Game freak. My friend who has a 360 isn't a nerd or a game freak. You just came up with about the most retarded class ever.

What I hate about it is how much money games cost now :(

Mr. Pokemon

Still rockin' the DS Phat
Years
I hate when people describe games using the terms "hardcore" and "casual". I can be a hardcore gamer by spending my entire (gaming) life playing only Mario Party and Nintendogs. I don't quite understand the need for Achievements and Trophies (*cough*360+PS3*cough*), but whatever. I guess it gives people a reason to keep playing. Then there's Jack Thompson and the misinformed idiot monkeys who don't know a thing about games but insist on complaining about how video games have "excessive violence" and "make teens go crazy". :P

Don't get me started on how people judge the Wii based on Wii Sports (quite the addictive game), Mario Party 8 and that are no "hardcore" games.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
I'm all for improvements in technology and such, but there's this push for "realism" in graphics. I just can't play a CGI-heavy "realistic" looking game. For starters, if I wanted to watch a movie, I would. Story and characters and the like is important but if the gameplay isn't there then why bother? Anyway, with "realistic" graphics, no matter how stunning or advanced it may be you're setting yourself up for failure. A game should be immersive. With realistic graphics, if one tiny thing is off then the entire illusion is worried and you go "Oh, I'm playing a game". I much prefer games that take an artistic and stylized approach. Realism would be great if it worked. But, be it something that doesn't look right or something zanny in the game that just doesn't jive with the realism-approach, the whole illusion is ruined.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 5, 2017
So what about the rich Kids that have the money but don't want one?
I have a Wii but I'm not a Game freak. My friend who has a 360 isn't a nerd or a game freak. You just came up with about the most retarded class ever.

What I hate about it is how much money games cost now :(

You probably don't live in England then, and if you do your very lucky!
Surprisingly there are no rich kids that don't want one.

Back