PDA

View Full Version : An Exquisite Corpse II

JX Valentine
August 14th, 2008, 07:59 AM
Mmm. Game revival. Although is it called revival if it was never actually alive to begin with? Ah well.

Introduction/How the Game Works

Welcome to An Exquisite Corpse, a strange game that tests not only your individual writing abilities but your capability to work with others to create a random but entertaining finished product.

What is An Exquisite Corpse? To put it simply, it's a party game created by surrealists (so you know it's going to be somewhat messed up). In it, a player writes or draws a piece of a composition and reveal only a part of it to another player, who would then continue the cycle by writing their own continuation to the last player's part before passing it onto another. The end result is an erratic and disjointed piece (of crap) that may or may not make any sense whatsoever. Laughs are had by all as they try to figure out how each piece fits together.

To participate in the game, the first thing you need to do is sign up. Right now, you're looking at the discussion thread. To sign up, just post in it, and I'll add you to the player list. That's all you have to do. That's it. Nothing more. Nada. Zip. Zilch. It's that simple.

Once you've got the hang of that part, then comes the harder part.

I'll take the list and shuffled the people on it so you all wind up in a random order. Once I post the signal for the first round (and you'll know when I will), the people designated as the heads (i.e., the first people on each list) will begin by writing part of a story until they reach a certain goal which will be detailed in the rules below. When they reach their goal, they'll only pass the last line of their part (whether or not it's complete) to the next person in line. Then, they'll write their part and pass the last line on to the next person. This continues until there's no one left on the list. When that happens, the last person writes something resembling a possible ending to the story before shipping a message that says something along the lines of "OK! I'm finished!" to the first person in line.

At that point, the first person in line makes a post in this thread to get a title. (The head and the first three people to post one word for the title create it.) Once a title is decided, the head creates a thread in the main forum (tagged with a special tag that I'll also get to in a moment) containing his part of the story. After that, each person in line posts their part in succession until the entire story is complete. Then, we stand back and laugh at the crap we've written.

Sounds simple, right? Oh, it gets more complicated than that.

Rules:

1. Each part must be one page long, single-spaced in twelve-point, Times New Roman font, with margins set at 1" top and bottom and 1.25" left and right. (Check your page setup to change the latter.) Please note those specifics because there's no ifs, ands, or buts about it. You're going to write using that format until you hit a new page. When that happens, ship the line that bumped you to a new page off to the next person in line, even if it's not a complete sentence.
1a. The exception to this rule are the people who are at the end of the line. They MUST wrap up their story within their part, no matter how long it ends up being, just as long as that ending is at least a page long.

2. A player CANNOT discuss what they're writing with anyone, including and especially the line. They also can't change their piece in any way once they've finished.

3. To keep the game going, each part must be finished in a week. One week really is a sufficient amount of time to write at least a page worth of storyline, so there's really little excuse. However, if you're unable to work in under a week, please simply forward the message you've received from the person before you to the next person in line so the game can continue.

4. When you ship your line to the next person, you can do so via PM or e-mail. Do NOT use this thread to post a line.

5. If you're the first person in line who's posting a thread, please insert the tag [Corpse] in front of the thread title. That way, we'll know it's part of this game.

Q&A

Q. I don't get it. What's the point?
A. There is no point. It's an entertaining fling in which you mix your creativity with that of others to drag them through several rounds of brutal and pointless torment.

Q. Are the corpses really considered stories?
A. There's a beginning, a middle, an end, and some semblance of a plot. That's actually more than some badfics out there, so I personally say yes.

Q. What do I get for joining?
A. Eternal glory.

Q. Are there any requirements to join?
A. Well, you have to write. A lot. And you have to be comfortable with working with other people when you don't even know what you're supposed to be writing about.

Q. Can I write about Pokémon or something other than Pokémon?
A. There's no actual limitation to what you can write for your entry, but keep in mind that this game is being held in the Pokémon Fanfiction forum (so it's recommended that you stick to Pokémon).

Q. Wait. Go over the part about titles again.
A. When the head receives the OK from the last person in line, he goes to make a post in this thread with a single word that should be a subject. Then, the first three people to post next get to add something to the "sentence" so that each entry, when strung together, makes no sense, is related to the piece, but is still, somehow, a sentence. Examples of actual corpse titles:

roaming/brings peaceful divinity/organic opportunities/great googally boogally!!
sidereal/king in yellow/painfully sneezes/when doves fly!

So, just write the first thing that comes to mind, and you'll be fine.

Also, the heads should add the tag [Corpse] to the beginning of the sentence when they put it in the title of a thread so we know it's a corpse.

Q. Can I join after the game starts?
A. Sure you can. You'll be added to the end of the line, however, in case the line is already halfway through.

Q. Where can we review fresh corpses?
A. In the corpse thread, after the story is finished.

Q. Where can we find old corpses?
A. In this thread. There will be a list of finished corpses each round.

Q. Won't it take forever for one round to complete?
A. Yeah, at the very most, a round may take a couple of months. If it gets that ridiculous, I'll start breaking people into teams. Otherwise, uh, write quickly?

Q. I have more questions!
A. Feel free to respond to this thread to ask. That's why I've made this a discussion thread.

Old Corpses

Ho-oh's Incoherent Blank Continuum (http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=156212)
Thine bony, fiery Quetzacoatl (http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=163506)
Discombobulated Dish-washing Wonder Malarkey (http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=172089)

Next Round Begins

???

Current Team

Please use this list in determining who's next.

Censored
Astinus
Rabbit
Icomeanon6
An-chan
Xanthine
Shrike Flamestar
Post Office Buddy
Ninja Caterpie
POKEMON_MASTER_0

Sunnybeam
August 14th, 2008, 08:27 AM
Count me in! -pokes corpse- Ew.

Blue Angel
August 14th, 2008, 09:29 AM
I would but I am going on a trip for the next few days, then school starts, plus a book report to finish.

But I would absolutely love to read the finished products ^ ^

IceDragon2439
August 14th, 2008, 09:51 AM
I will take part =) I can't wait!

txteclipse
August 14th, 2008, 10:52 AM
I love all things random and not-making-sense. Count me in! Maybe wait a bit longer in case anyone else wants to jump in, though? Four would technically take a month if everyone used the maximum amount of time, but that's also four weeks others would have to wait. Or they could just make their own...never mind...

POKEMON_MASTER_0
August 14th, 2008, 11:51 AM
This sounds interesting. I actually did an activity like this in school once and it turned out to be hilarious.

I'll try my hand at it. Count me in!

icomeanon6
August 14th, 2008, 01:01 PM
That list is getting pretty big, this must be what I get for not logging on for over 12 hours.

*raises hand, waves it furiously* Pick me! Pick me!

Buoysel
August 14th, 2008, 01:21 PM
*waves arms around in the air* Me next. Me next.

So when do we get started?

JX Valentine
August 14th, 2008, 04:19 PM
O_o to the number of applicants I received within the past few hours.

So when do we get started?

Well, because I'm lazy, I'll wait a couple more days (as txt proposed) to see if anyone else wants to join.

Ninja Caterpie
August 15th, 2008, 01:24 AM
Yay! More time!

Can I join?

JX Valentine
August 16th, 2008, 07:00 AM
All right, guys. The first round's order has been randomized. (You're still free to join, but you'll end up at the end of the line.)

For this round, we're doing a test. There's nine of you, so that'll take a bit of time to complete. Keep on top of it and submit quickly, and I won't split you up into teams the next round. If it really does take us a little over two months to complete this round, then yeah, next round will have more than one team.

That said, the order:

Blue Angel
Dark Lakitu
kcander90
Aqua059
POKEMON_MASTER_0
IceDragon2439
icomeanon6
Jax Malcolm
txteclipse

PM will be fired off to Blue Angel, and otherwise, let the round begin!

Blue Angel
August 16th, 2008, 11:23 AM
All right, guys. The first round's order has been randomized. (You're still free to join, but you'll end up at the end of the line.)

For this round, we're doing a test. There's nine of you, so that'll take a bit of time to complete. Keep on top of it and submit quickly, and I won't split you up into teams the next round. If it really does take us a little over two months to complete this round, then yeah, next round will have more than one team.

That said, the order:

Blue Angel
Dark Lakitu
kcander90
Aqua059
POKEMON_MASTER_0
IceDragon2439
icomeanon6
Jax Malcolm
txteclipse

PM will be fired off to Blue Angel, and otherwise, let the round begin!

0_o *blink*blink*
Huh?
Did you read my post thoroughly enough? (I've done that one wrong before :] )

I'm too busy right now.
If you threw me in because you needed a ninth, I understand, but I am too busy ;p
Thanks, but I can't.

Maybe add the two others to a different team, count yourself out (but it sounds like you really want to) or beg me to work against my busy-ness(:p)

JX Valentine
August 16th, 2008, 12:29 PM
0_o *blink*blink*
Huh?
Did you read my post thoroughly enough? (I've done that one wrong before :] )

I'm too busy right now.
If you threw me in because you needed a ninth, I understand, but I am too busy ;p
Thanks, but I can't.

Maybe add the two others to a different team, count yourself out (but it sounds like you really want to) or beg me to work against my busy-ness(:p)

Sorry about that. I just added whoever posted after the initial, actually, rather than read whether or not they were actually joining because I'd assumed no one would be doing a "I'd like to join, but" post. Apologies if this sounds biting, but why would you post in the game thread if you didn't actually want to participate? O_o

That said, sure, I'll take you off the player list, and the first one up is therefore Dark Lakitu.

Blue Angel
August 16th, 2008, 03:34 PM
Sorry about that. I just added whoever posted after the initial, actually, rather than read whether or not they were actually joining because I'd assumed no one would be doing a "I'd like to join, but" post. Apologies if this sounds biting, but why would you post in the game thread if you didn't actually want to participate? O_o

That said, sure, I'll take you off the player list, and the first one up is therefore Dark Lakitu.

To tell you I was interested, but I'm busy :)
Well, it was mainly because I wanted to make sure I'd get to read it.
It sounds a little biting, but you do make a good point. ^^

JX Valentine
August 16th, 2008, 04:42 PM
To tell you I was interested, but I'm busy :)

Again, why post in that case? =/ I mean, it's great that you're interested, but I do have profile notes and PMs. (And anyway, I still don't quite know why one would post to say they're not going to participate. If you don't want to participate because you're busy, that's fine. I say in the first post that you can join later if you feel you're up for it but will be tacked onto the end of the line. Otherwise, you don't need to tell me you're not going to take part. If I don't get a post from you, then I know you don't want to be put in line.)

I'd rather keep this thread as clean as possible so there's very little confusion as to what's going on. I apologize if I didn't mention that earlier, but mostly, it's sign-ups and away notices here as well as title creation between rounds. Reviews will go in corpse threads. Discussion, meanwhile, I'd like to keep to players only between rounds. (Yeah, as restrictive as it is, I'd like to keep discussion during rounds minimal to avoid "OMG who're we on?" posts and discussion about the plot.)

Well, it was mainly because I wanted to make sure I'd get to read it.

Of course you would. The corpse will be in the main forum when it's done. O_o

Ninja Caterpie
October 6th, 2008, 12:41 AM
Hmm...Well, TxtEclipse just sent me his part so...ehh?
...Hmm...So...I have to post one word for the title?

Ho-oh's

I'm not gonna get busted for bumpin this, am I? There's no need for this thread for the 2 or so months in between, really...x.x

icomeanon6
October 6th, 2008, 02:36 AM
Incoherent

This is going to be epic, I can tell!

An-chan
October 6th, 2008, 10:14 AM
Umm, I understood the current round is almost over, right? So, is there any chance I could get in on the next round? I sure do like writing a lot, and we did similar things in elementary school. Actually, we did them all the time, and my parts were always the most extraprdonary ones. I don't quite know if that's a good or a bad thing, but at least it proves that I'm crazy...

Although I'm not 100% sure I completely understood the part about titles.

JX Valentine
October 6th, 2008, 10:52 AM
Sure. I'll add you to the next round's list.

As for titles, if you've written part of the current corpse, all you need to do is be one of the first four people (including the person posting to say the corpse is finished) to post a single word, and your word will be added to the title.

So, for example, Dark Lakitu posted "Ho-oh's," which will be the first word of the title. The second will be icomeanon's "Incoherent." The third will be what I post below, and the fourth will be someone else's word. Hence, the title will be something like this:

Ho-oh's Incoherent Blank Blank.

That will be posted as the title of the thread, followed by the head's part.

By the way, I'll add one word to keep this up:

Blank.

Very creative, no?

txteclipse
October 6th, 2008, 11:32 AM
Continuum. This is going to be so epic.

icomeanon6
October 6th, 2008, 02:14 PM
So, the deceased's name is Ho-oh's Incoherent Blank Continuum. Sweet, can't wait to post!

Ninja Caterpie
October 6th, 2008, 03:15 PM
CRAAAAAAAP.
I only realised that I never saved my piece of the corpse after it was dug out from the corpse of my old computer! Can this take a little longer while I type it up or should I just let someone else go first and let someone else pick a word?

icomeanon6
October 6th, 2008, 03:19 PM
We can't not have a beginning, so get typing! Just make sure that the last line matches what you sent out.

Ninja Caterpie
October 6th, 2008, 04:12 PM
Rightyo!
I got it out already. I just couldn't remember the last line...Buoysel, can you add it into the start of yours?

Buoysel
October 6th, 2008, 04:16 PM
Rightyo!
I got it out already. I just couldn't remember the last line...Buoysel, can you add it into the start of yours?

I didn't get my part done in time so I forwarded the line you sent me to Aqua059.

I will send you the line you sent me via PM.

Ninja Caterpie
October 6th, 2008, 04:21 PM
Alright, thanks! Aqua059, you can post your part now!

Sunnybeam
October 7th, 2008, 03:15 PM
I'm...I'm...wait, what exactly am I supposed to be posting? Don't shoot me...

txteclipse
October 7th, 2008, 03:17 PM
Post your segment, I believe, in the [CORPSE] thread on the main fanfiction page. Right now. NOW. I'm sick and bored. ;;

Sunnybeam
October 7th, 2008, 03:21 PM
Oh. OH. Well, I didn't finish my segment, so I passed Dark Lakitu's line on to POKEMON_MASTER_0.

Sorry!! Sorrysorrysorry! -ducks-

Buoysel
October 7th, 2008, 03:39 PM
Oh. OH. Well, I didn't finish my segment, so I passed Dark Lakitu's line on to POKEMON_MASTER_0.

Sorry!! Sorrysorrysorry! -ducks-

How many people actually finished there segment?

txteclipse
October 7th, 2008, 04:05 PM
I did, for one, and D.L. did, so that's two out of four.

icomeanon6
October 7th, 2008, 04:13 PM
I wrote my part, and the line I got from PM0 was different than Dark Lakitu's, so we know that PM0 wrote something, too.

Ninja Caterpie
October 7th, 2008, 04:54 PM
Good. That means that at least some people wrote theirs.

Well, the thing is, there's always going to be at least 2 parts. The first person's and the finisher's. xD

Wait, wait...what line DID you get, icomeanon?

icomeanon6
October 7th, 2008, 05:34 PM
Wait, wait...what line DID you get, icomeanon?
I got one from POKEMON_MASTER_0 that was different than yours (I'm not going to post it here, that'd give it away). IceDragon2439 had complications of some sort and didn't participate, and I was next in line.

New Age Retro Hippie
October 12th, 2008, 06:35 PM
Hey, would I be able to join in the next one? This one had me giggling like crazy.

JX Valentine
October 12th, 2008, 06:44 PM
Thanks. =D And you may.

In fact, because we had trouble getting people to keep up with the last one, I'm just going to erase the old players' list between each round. You've got the same amount of time to sign up for a slot, but now that you know what it's like to be on the corpse team, you can decide whether or not you want to be a part of this coming round.

Who's in?

Shrike Flamestar
October 12th, 2008, 07:41 PM
Me! It sounds fun, and insane, and I like insane.

*Begins plotting how evilly insane he can make his page.*

Post Office Buddy
October 12th, 2008, 07:54 PM
Would you be so kind as to add me into the next round? :D

I've always wanted to do something like this.

icomeanon6
October 12th, 2008, 08:07 PM
I'm up for trying a killing spree, count me in!

txteclipse
October 12th, 2008, 08:48 PM
I'll return as a veteran. It would probably be better for me not to be the tail this time though, as I'm a tad long-winded.

Ninja Caterpie
October 14th, 2008, 02:57 AM
I'll go back and do it too! It was boring the first time round cos I wrote some boring stuff (it's awesomely more dead when it goes from plain to weird) but nao for sum fun!

Guys, can some people write properly as to make it even more dead?

txteclipse
October 14th, 2008, 08:32 AM
Guys, can some people write properly as to make it even more dead?

Not really sure what you mean here...do you mean improperly? I could go for a more surreal approach if necessary. That would make things all the more ludicrous and crack-inspired.

An-chan
October 14th, 2008, 11:46 AM
I'm still in! I just had to say it in case my former application has been erased of everyone's minds or something. Oh, I so am itching to get my hands on this!

I just have to ask one thing. Can I add Finnish words (translation provided) to further mess up the thing? I don't mean I want to use heaps of Finnish words so that nobody can understand anything, but.... Um, for example, can I replace the word 'chair' with the Finnish counterpart 'tuoli'?
Oh, well, maybe I won't do that anyway, but I want to know.
Just out of curiousity.
Anyway, count me in!

Ninja Caterpie
October 14th, 2008, 11:22 PM
txt, I mean for some people to write without much crazy-ness so it goes:
Crazy
Non-crazy
Crazy
Lovelyness
Universe Implosions
Not that it matters much.

JX Valentine
October 19th, 2008, 08:46 PM
Can I add Finnish words (translation provided) to further mess up the thing?

You certainly can!

Also, player list so far:

Xanthine
Shrike Flamestar
jeffback
txteclipse
Dark Lakitu
An-chan
icomeanon6

Although this is more people than we had actually submit last round, should we keep registration open for awhile?

Also, should I open this thread up to discussion during each round, so long as we're not discussing plot?

txteclipse
October 19th, 2008, 08:56 PM
To answer your questions, no and yes. It's been a while since someone joined, and I think a bit of discussion will be fine.

icomeanon6
October 20th, 2008, 02:36 AM
You certainly can!

Also, player list so far:

Xanthine
Shrike Flamestar
jeffback
txteclipse
Dark Lakitu
An-chan
Wait a minute, I could have sworn I signed up...

Found it! Check post 39, please!

JX Valentine
October 20th, 2008, 04:47 AM
Added. Sorry about that.

POKEMON_MASTER_0
October 21st, 2008, 07:14 PM
May I sign up again? Hopefully it isn't too late.

An-chan
October 22nd, 2008, 11:30 AM
Awrighty, when do we start? I'm itching to write!

Buoysel
October 22nd, 2008, 11:35 AM
May I sign up again? Hopefully it isn't too late.

I would like to try again also.

JX Valentine
October 26th, 2008, 12:29 PM
Added and added. Also, it's been two weeks since I've asked for re-signups, so I'm just going to go ahead and randomize the list. The lineup is now as follows:

POKEMON_MASTER_0
Xanthine
txteclipse
Buoysel
icomeanon6
Dark Lakitu
An-chan
Post Office Buddy
Shrike Flamestar

If I've forgotten anyone, feel free to reply to get yourself inserted randomly onto the list. Second round begins now. Good luck to everyone!

Shrike Flamestar
October 26th, 2008, 11:54 PM
Oh God, I got the final part... *facepalms* You do realize how long it takes me to finish something, right? Of course most of what I write is around 20 pages and actually needs to have some semblance of sense to it... I'll try to keep the ending for this here to around four or five pages, which I can get done in one writing session if I try, so hopefully I won't procrastinate too much with it.

...Having to come up with the ending puts all this pressure on me, though. Don't be surprised if I do something crazy like blow up the whole world or something. :D

*Patiently waits for his turn*

Wait, but...what if someone new comes and steals my spot at the end?! :O I'm kind of psyched about having to finish it now... NO ONE ELSE JOIN OR I'LL GIVE YOU THE WORST LINE I CAN THINK OF!

<_<

An-chan
November 15th, 2008, 07:00 AM
Just, you know, out of curiousity: this thing is going on, right? No-one has slacked off or disappeared or anything? I'm just curious, because there hasn't been an awful lot of conversation going on here (as in: none)... But, I hope you're all alive and well and that I get to write my part before I die.

Sorry for being so annoying, but I'm really excited about this :<

JX Valentine
November 15th, 2008, 01:32 PM
Just, you know, out of curiousity: this thing is going on, right? No-one has slacked off or disappeared or anything?

Well, I sent my part out not too long ago, so it's somewhere, I'm sure.

And it's totally cool.

txteclipse
November 15th, 2008, 02:05 PM
I'm weaving the next body segment, as it were. Interesting things are happening.

Ninja Caterpie
November 15th, 2008, 02:21 PM
Just one page, remember. I hardly see how one page can have interesting stuff.
Now that I'm in the middle, I can have some fun time!

An-chan
November 16th, 2008, 05:10 AM
It's still several weeks before my turn :< I'll just have to write that parody of mine as a replacement. I need to do something completely incoherent once in a while.

When are we doing the title for this?

JX Valentine
November 16th, 2008, 07:22 AM
When are we doing the title for this?

Titles are done as soon as the last person in line sends a note to the first person to say the corpse is complete. Then, the first person makes a post, and we all gun for getting in a word.

txteclipse
December 6th, 2008, 02:03 AM
I finished my segment finally and fired the next line off to Buoysel. Eh...sorry it took so long. School has been killing me lately, and I forgot about it didn't have much time on my hands.

Post Office Buddy
December 6th, 2008, 02:32 AM
It's fine. I'm glad that you informed us though. I wondered who had forgotten it was their turn last received a line.

Buoysel
December 6th, 2008, 08:18 PM
It's amazing what one can do when one is on a sugar high, anyway, I'm sending my line on to the next one in line.

icomeanon6
December 6th, 2008, 09:17 PM
Wow, did I manage to do that fast or what? At any rate, I've got my line sent on to Dar...I mean, Ninja Caterpie.

This one's going to be good, I can tell...

Ninja Caterpie
December 6th, 2008, 09:19 PM
Yep. I have a feeling the POV I'm writing from might be different... xP

And half an hour after starting, I'm done. :P
G'luck An-chan, decoding what I've written. :P

ANARCHit3cht
December 6th, 2008, 10:08 PM
Hey, Erm what if you don't have Word or something of the sort to type it up first? Also, I am not quite sure-If I Joined- what I would ship off to the next person.

Buoysel
December 6th, 2008, 10:22 PM
Hey, Erm what if you don't have Word or something of the sort to type it up first? If you don't have Word, you could always use Openoffice, or Word Pad, or Note Pad. Anything that lets you save your work. I suggest using OpenOffice because it has a built in spell checker. It can be found at www.openoffice.org (http://www.openoffice.org), and it's free.

Also, I am not quite sure-If I Joined- what I would ship off to the next person. That can be found in the first post, along with the rules of the game.

You sent the last line of the page that you typed.

ANARCHit3cht
December 6th, 2008, 10:27 PM
So, you only send in that last line?

One thing about Wordpad/Notepad, how would I know if it was on the second page or not.. since it types only one straight line.

icomeanon6
December 6th, 2008, 10:29 PM
So, you only send in that last line?

One thing about Wordpad/Notepad, how would I know if it was on the second page or not.. since it types only one straight line.
Try a print-preview, and I believe Wordpad has a ruler which can give you the right horizontal length, if that's a problem as well.

Buoysel
December 6th, 2008, 10:29 PM
So, you only send in that last line? Yep., that's where the fun is.
One thing about Wordpad/Notepad, how would I know if it was on the second page or not.. since it types only one straight line.Word Pad does not do that.

EDIT: Ninjaed. >:{

ANARCHit3cht
December 6th, 2008, 10:33 PM
Okie Dokie, thanks guys.

Rabbit
December 6th, 2008, 10:44 PM
Could I join in on this?

ANARCHit3cht
December 6th, 2008, 10:47 PM
Yes, I would like to join as well.

JX Valentine
December 6th, 2008, 11:17 PM
To the both of you: Sure! But you'll be added to the end of the line because the line is going in full swing right now. So, if you're completely cool with being put at the end, I can add you on (Rabbit first because her request came first).

Rabbit
December 6th, 2008, 11:19 PM
^_^ That's cool with me.

Shrike Flamestar
December 6th, 2008, 11:21 PM
CURSES! YOU FOILED MY PLANS FOR EVIL WORLD DESTROYING EVILNESS!

So Lostt, you have taken over my position as tail of the corpse. I have a proposition for you. Peacefully tell Xanthine to switch our spots and I won't murder you and everyone you know. Deal?

Edit: Or Rabbit. Or whoever it is. Front post doesn't say Lostt when I look at it now.

JX Valentine
December 6th, 2008, 11:27 PM
Edit: Or Rabbit. Or whoever it is. Front post doesn't say Lostt when I look at it now.

Yeah, waiting for Lostt's reply. Some people wouldn't want to be the tail because it involves more writing. XD So, the other option would have been for him to wait until the next round sign-ups are announced, but if POB doesn't send you his line before then, because you were expecting to be the tail for weeks, I can let a switch happen.

Unless Lostt says he's cool with being the tail and decides to take it over being put in the middle. At which point, you two will need to have a deathmatch.

icomeanon6
December 6th, 2008, 11:31 PM
Did anyone else here read TRINITY? Well I did, and judging from TRINITY, I'd say we could expect a final part of the corpse in around July if we have Shrike at the end.

(No offense to Shrike, of course, TRINITY's awesome! I'm still waiting for chapter two!)

Shrike Flamestar
December 6th, 2008, 11:37 PM
I don't always take so long to write :O Like take the sidestory TRINITY: Waves for the sci-fi contest over at Serebii, that one only take me maybe...two months. Instead of three.

But seriously, as I said earlier there's no way that would happen here. Probably. The thing is that my normal stories are all highly structured and planned and such whereas here I plan to just go all out crazy, going in without a set plot and seeing just how much mayhem and chaos I can cause before it ends :D

Ninja Caterpie
December 7th, 2008, 12:54 AM
Well, you COULD just make a narrator be bored and kill everyone off using the Death PieceOfPaper.

ANARCHit3cht
December 7th, 2008, 07:47 AM
I'll take whatever spot, it's all fine by me.

Buoysel
December 7th, 2008, 08:02 AM
Did anyone else here read TRINITY? Well I did, and judging from TRINITY, I'd say we could expect a final part of the corpse in around July if we have Shrike at the end.

(No offense to Shrike, of course, TRINITY's awesome! I'm still waiting for chapter two!)

XD

We allways could wait a few months and post our parts with or with out him. :D j/k

ANARCHit3cht
December 7th, 2008, 08:46 PM
Hey, I won't be able to do the tail, School and the writing of my own stories and things will be in the way. So, yeah Im dropping out.

Post Office Buddy
December 7th, 2008, 08:50 PM
Hey, I won't be able to do the tail, School and the writing of my own stories and things will be in the way. So, yeah Im dropping out.
Shrike will be pleased. I haven't received the line yet, so no need to worry about that getting in the way. I'll just check the first post when I'm ready so I know who to send it to.

Ninja Caterpie
December 8th, 2008, 02:48 AM
You'll get it by my weekend. I sent it to An-chan yesterday.
Is it just me, or did I write mine the fastest...?

Buoysel
December 8th, 2008, 05:58 AM
You'll get it by my weekend. I sent it to An-chan yesterday.
Is it just me, or did I write mine the fastest...?

How long did it take?

Icomeanon6 sent his off about an hour after he got it, and it took me a little over an hour after I sat down and started on my part.

JX Valentine
December 8th, 2008, 08:22 AM

No problem. You can always join up on a later round.

Also, sorry, Shrike. Looks like Rabbit's getting the tail. ^_^;

txteclipse
December 8th, 2008, 08:36 AM
Thank you all so much for making me feel even worse about taking so long. XD

To put it into perspective, icomeanon6 finished his part five hundred and four times faster than I did.

JX Valentine
December 8th, 2008, 08:49 AM

To put it into perspective, icomeanon6 finished his part five hundred and four times faster than I did.

That's actually something else I'd like to bring up. Remember, if you're not the tail and a week has passed, you're actually supposed to pass the line you'd received onto the next person to keep the body going.

Just a reminder for the future.

Rabbit
December 8th, 2008, 02:43 PM
-looks around- I'm what? Hey, don't pass the buck to me. I don't wanna be murdered in my sleep. D: Shrike can have it. He deserves it for his dedication and not-so-subtle threats.

Ninja Caterpie
December 8th, 2008, 10:24 PM

Crud, does that mean I finished 1008 times faster than you? Wow!
I sorta just slammed down the first thing that came into my head, which happened to be a <censored>, in a <censored> <censored>, so that's what I did. I reckon it turned out pretty well.
I think you WERE meant to just pass it on after a week...xP

Post Office Buddy
December 8th, 2008, 10:30 PM
I got my line from An-chan earlier and I just sent out the line to Rabbit after accidentally sending it to Shrike first. He already told me it was supposed to go to Rabbit, so I fixed that. I should have looked at the last post instead of the first... but just letting everyone know where it is now. Man, I feel stupid...

JX Valentine
December 8th, 2008, 10:47 PM
Crud, does that mean I finished 1008 times faster than you? Wow!

M'dear, please don't brag about how quickly you finished your piece. That be not the point of the exercise. (It's just convenient to get it out quickly because we're all impatient to know what the finished product looks like. That and it's more likely to create a piece of WTFery by writing quickly.)

Also, to POB, totally cool. Shrike's just PMed me about it, so I belatedly switched up the player list. Really, it wasn't clear on this end, either, so don't feel so bad about it.

Also also, Shrike, would you like to permanently be the tail (as in, tail of future rounds)? XD

Ninja Caterpie
December 8th, 2008, 10:51 PM
M'dear, please don't brag about how quickly you finished your piece. That be not the point of the exercise. (It's just convenient to get it out quickly because we're all impatient to know what the finished product looks like. That and it's more likely to create a piece of WTFery by writing quickly.)
Sorry, but it does make more WTFery, as I believe...uh...my part's gonna be a little different to the others... xP

Also also, Shrike, would you like to permanently be the tail (as in, tail of future rounds)? XD
That would remove the chance of the rest of us having fun like that... So...uh, no, please?

JX Valentine
December 8th, 2008, 10:58 PM
Sorry, but it does make more WTFery, as I believe...uh...my part's gonna be a little different to the others... xP

No, I meant that this isn't a race. Speed's convenient, but just because you got your part out faster than someone else doesn't actually mean much.

That would remove the chance of the rest of us having fun like that... So...uh, no, please?

It was a joke anyway.

Rabbit
December 8th, 2008, 11:55 PM
Sent it off to Shrike! We'll have a finished corpse to dissect soon enough.

Buoysel
December 9th, 2008, 05:51 AM
we're all impatient to know what the finished product looks like. That and it's more likely to create a piece of WTFery

I typed what ever literally came to my mind, I really didn't even think things through. So expect mine piece to be quite random, and well... dead.

Shrike Flamestar
December 9th, 2008, 10:27 AM
Whee, corpsey corpsey, corpsey... While I question your assertion that we'll see it "soon enough," I have actually started writing a few things while forsaking the studying I should be doing instead.

CURSE FINALS!

Like Buoysel I expect that I'll pretty much type just what comes to mind, though I have a few things I want to be sure to have in it and I already know what I want the ending to be like. Whee, this will be fun! :D

GAH, F YOU IDIOT N00B NEIGHBORS! YOUR CRAP RAP MUSIC IS CRAP! DO YOU EVEN UNDERSTAND THE MEANING OF "QUIET HOURS"?! YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO BE F'ING QUIET!

EDIT: Well, I'm now at the one page mark and where I would have had to cut it off if I didn't get the tail. BUT SUCH AN EPIC STORY SHALL NOT BE ABRIDGED!

Also, I forgot to respond to this earlier, but while being the tail is fun and all (for me) I don't want to take that fun away from others :O

POKEMON_MASTER_0
December 19th, 2008, 02:11 PM
I've posted the first part of the Corpse, "Incinerating Reality As We Know It." I guess we can all start to post our parts, now.

Ninja Caterpie
December 19th, 2008, 02:19 PM
Wait, wut? Where'd that title come from?

An-chan
December 19th, 2008, 02:26 PM
But, uh, wait. We haven't composed the title yet. It should be done together, right? because I was really looking forward to throwing some cool word in ;_;

But hey, this thing is ready now? I can't wait!

Edit: Uh-huh, ninja'd by Ninja Caterpie. Fitting, huh?

But, hey, if the corpse indeed is ready, the title should also be done, no? And the first four words get to be in the title, no? And because you'll all probably make it up while I'm asleep because it's night here, I'll cheat now and try to get my word in.

It is Thine (as in, yours but just in old English. Right?).

If it's not the time to be making the title, or something else is wrong or incomplete or this is in some other way a very wrong time to do this, feel free to overlook, discard and ignore that word. I just had to try -_- Sorry!

Ninja Caterpie
December 19th, 2008, 02:37 PM
Ah, and I better stick mine in too (I want to be after An-chan).

Bony

POKEMON_MASTER_0
December 19th, 2008, 02:55 PM
Wait. I don't think I titled it right. Sorry about that. I guess we're supposed to do it here, and I'll edit the topic when we've come up with a title. I think I have to put in my word, so here it is:

Fiery

EDIT: So the title would be "Thine Bony Fiery"?

Ninja Caterpie
December 19th, 2008, 03:19 PM
No, one more word.

This better be a noun. xP

POKEMON_MASTER_0
December 19th, 2008, 03:22 PM
No, one more word.

This better be a noun. xPMy thought too. Someone, anyone, give us a noun!

Rabbit
December 19th, 2008, 03:50 PM
Quetzacoatl.

Wait, is Shrike done with the tail? I don't want to rush him. :0

Ninja Caterpie
December 19th, 2008, 04:44 PM
"Thine bony, fiery Quetzacoatl"

Oh dear god this'll be epic. Get it renamed now lol.

Shrike Flamestar
December 19th, 2008, 05:26 PM
Yes yes, I'm done. See? Told you guys it wouldn't take me months -_-

Too bad I had to leave for shopping stuff and couldn't get in on the title, though X_x

JX Valentine
December 19th, 2008, 05:39 PM
As a general note, yeah, please reread the rules every so often. The game tends to take awhile, so sometimes, one might forget how things work.

POKEMON_MASTER_0
December 20th, 2008, 11:11 AM
I feel like an idiot for asking this, but I just edited the title, and within my first post, the title has changed, however, the topic's title has not. Is there any way to change the topic's title, or are we just stuck with the original one?

Shrike Flamestar
December 20th, 2008, 11:46 AM
Astinus can change it, so someone will need to ask her.

Ninja Caterpie
December 20th, 2008, 06:07 PM
I'm really liking how the thing's turning out! I can't wait for it to be finished.
... It seems like everyone's got their parts in!

Buoysel
December 20th, 2008, 06:42 PM
I'm really liking how the thing's turning out! I can't wait for it to be finished.
... It seems like everyone's got their parts in!

I think my part is so stupid.:embarrass

I hope that it is acceptable.

Ninja Caterpie
December 20th, 2008, 06:44 PM
I think my part is so stupid.:embarrass

I hope that it is acceptable.

My part'll look even more stupid. :P Well, compared to the others, it'll look like it's in the wrong section.

Rabbit
December 20th, 2008, 09:10 PM
Funny. The rules say 12 point Times New Roman, and that's what I used, but the first three corpse sections seem to be using 14 point TNR. Did I read the rules wrong?

txteclipse
December 21st, 2008, 09:18 AM
You should just post without editing any of the options. I.E. cut/paste from whatever word processor you're using and that's it.

JX Valentine
December 22nd, 2008, 11:59 AM
Funny. The rules say 12 point Times New Roman, and that's what I used, but the first three corpse sections seem to be using 14 point TNR. Did I read the rules wrong?

For writing the actual work, you're using the default format of most word processors (twelve-point, TNR). That way, we all know you wrote exactly one page. However, for posting, you're using the default of the forums (as in, no tags).

Also!

Because we've just finished round two, sign-ups for round three are open until New Year's Eve. Next round starts on the new year, folks, so scramble to get in!

Also also, because we seem to have trouble with timing, remember the following:

1. Unless you're the tail of the team (i.e., last person in line), you've got a week to send out your part -- no more, no less.

2. If you know you're going to be away for longer than that period and you know your turn is coming up, please make a post here stating the dates you're going to be gone. (Please don't post an away message if your turn has already passed. That just confuses people. x_x)

3. Please don't sign up if you don't have time to participate. Sorry, but it just isn't as fun if there's fewer parts to the story than I have fingers on one hand.

With that in mind, who's up for round two?

Buoysel
December 22nd, 2008, 12:14 PM

Isn't this round three?

Either way, I'll in.

An-chan
December 22nd, 2008, 12:39 PM
I'm totally in, if you still want to play with me after all that randomity and Finnish I wrote xD

There's just a question I need to ask. Xanthine, you point out that we have no more and no less than a week. Does that mean that if I finish my part in half an hour, I have to wait for the whole week before passing my line on? Or did you say that just because it's part of the phrase?

Astinus
December 22nd, 2008, 01:52 PM
It's round three this time, you silly cheese curl. :P

I'm in for this! I need some calm insanity during this time of year (zomg! giant sale at store i work at!), and I need to get back into writing. This is one of the ways I'm going to start for the new year.

So sign me up!

Rabbit
December 22nd, 2008, 01:55 PM
For writing the actual work, you're using the default format of most word processors (twelve-point, TNR). That way, we all know you wrote exactly one page. However, for posting, you're using the default of the forums (as in, no tags).

That's what I mean. The first few corpse pieces aren't long enough to have been 12 point Times, but they do reach exactly one page if in 14 point Times. I'm just wondering if this is a bizarre coincidence.

Sign me up, too. ^_^

Ninja Caterpie
December 22nd, 2008, 03:28 PM
I'm in!

Holycrapastinusisgoinginthisisigoingtobemaaaad

JX Valentine
December 22nd, 2008, 03:44 PM
Can I really help it if I decide to do lines of crack before coming onto this board? I've heard withdrawal's a *****.

1. Yes, it's round three. As I've noted earlier in the same post.

2. Yeah, that one I just meant that the maximum amount of time you can take is set at one week. So, I guess it's "no more," although for those of you who badger the other players into finishing when it's still under a week, I do have a quiver of arrows, a lighter, and just enough sadism to see what happens if I try to shoot. (Although if I keep taking crack before interacting with you people, you're more likely to see me run around in circles on fire, but.)

As for your post, Rabbit, my own piece was written in 12-point (with margins at 1.25 -- default for Word), so if it's the others that's you're talking about, I could double-check and hit the people responsible with a fish.

I'm not sure why I wish so much harm to befall animals right now. I think this avatar is influencing me.

icomeanon6
December 22nd, 2008, 06:15 PM
I'm up for another round.

By the way, before I get hunted down, I confess that I did not use the specified font when I wrote my section. *dodges fish.* I guess I copy-pasted what had been sent to me and just started typing from there. I feel über-terrible about this (with an umlaut, see?), and I promise not to do it again.

To err is human, to forgive is divine!

I am not a crook!

*Holds up both hands with peace signs.*

Post Office Buddy
December 22nd, 2008, 07:49 PM
I'm up for another round. Doing this gives me some motivation to write my chaptered fic :)

EDIT: Just checked my margins in Open Office and they are .75", which is weird because I haven't seen that as a default, like, ever. That would explain why all of my essays for college seemed longer than they should have been... I do use 12 pt. TNR font though.

Rabbit
December 22nd, 2008, 08:02 PM
Crack...? -sudden insight into Xanthine's character-

Buoysel
December 22nd, 2008, 08:29 PM
I'm up for another round. Doing this gives me some motivation to write my chaptered fic :)

EDIT: Just checked my margins in Open Office and they are .75", which is weird because I haven't seen that as a default, like, ever. That would explain why all of my essays for college seemed longer than they should have been... I do use 12 pt. TNR font though.

Time to confess...

I just opened word and started typing. Default setting for MS Word 07: 1' margins all the way around, and Calibri font at 11pt.

Sorry guyz... *dodges what ever is thrown.*

Shrike Flamestar
December 22nd, 2008, 09:07 PM
Eh, I think a little more or less is fine as long as it's not too much. Of course, the problem with ever giving leeway is that it may just snowball, which is always a problem.

Anyways, yes, I'd like to be in the next one again. :D I actually don't want to be the tail again, as it'd be hard to trump the awesome ending I wrote for the last one; and I want to see what I can do with less space. So, sign me up!

Post Office Buddy
December 22nd, 2008, 11:03 PM
I'm going to be checking my margins every time I do one of these now, but it's already much too late to go back and conform my part of the last CORPSE to the 1" standards. Shouldn't be too much more than one page in standard formatting though...

EDIT: Maybe we should set a specific margin for this. I think Xanthine should choose the margins and perhaps include them in the first post so that we don't have any more madness over length. So far it looks like some of us have different defaults, so a common ground is probably necessary...

JX Valentine
December 23rd, 2008, 06:49 AM
I just opened word and started typing. Default setting for MS Word 07: 1' margins all the way around, and Calibri font at 11pt.

Sorry guyz... *dodges what ever is thrown.*

This one would actually have to be a fault on your part, unfortunately. First post, first rule at least has always established that the font should be twelve-point Times. =/

Eh, I think a little more or less is fine as long as it's not too much. Of course, the problem with ever giving leeway is that it may just snowball, which is always a problem.

Mostly, the formatting rule's in place to ensure that we can easily check to see if you've reached the proper limit, rather than to create a set of limitations to add to the challenge, if that makes sense. But I think I can be comfortable with more or less, so long as it's not noticeable.

EDIT: Maybe we should set a specific margin for this. I think Xanthine should choose the margins and perhaps include them in the first post so that we don't have any more madness over length. So far it looks like some of us have different defaults, so a common ground is probably necessary...

We can go with my defaults: 1" top and bottom, 1.25" sides. I've added both under the first rule.

JX Valentine
January 2nd, 2009, 09:54 AM
Sorry about the lateness, folks. Lineup's below. If you don't see your name, you're not cool enough to be part of the Corpse post and I'll insert it at random.

Censored
Astinus
Rabbit
Icomeanon6
An-chan
Xanthine
Shrike Flamestar
Post Office Buddy
Ninja Caterpie

POKEMON_MASTER_0
January 2nd, 2009, 11:20 AM
Ah, I came late. Could you please add my name to the list?

Ninja Caterpie
January 2nd, 2009, 02:08 PM
Aww...I wanted the tail. xD

Oh well. :D

JX Valentine
January 2nd, 2009, 02:59 PM
Ah, I came late. Could you please add my name to the list?

Would it be cool if you got the tail, then? Or would you rather have a deathmatch with Ninja Caterpie over second-to-tail? I could go either way.

POKEMON_MASTER_0
January 2nd, 2009, 06:40 PM
Yeah, the tail would be fine. Although a death match might have proved to be interesting.

icomeanon6
January 27th, 2009, 09:29 AM
Hey, everyone. Due to the illness I've had during the last week, I had to send the line I got from Rabbit to An-Chan.

JX Valentine
January 27th, 2009, 11:52 AM
I was wondering how far along we were. XD No worries. Thanks for telling us, and I hope you get well soon (or have gotten well quickly).

Buoysel
March 18th, 2009, 06:31 PM
I have received permission from Astinus to revive this thread.
The corpse is done, we just need a title so I can start the thread.

My contribution is: Discombobulated.

An-chan
March 19th, 2009, 07:34 AM
Ah, I have to get in!

My word: Dish-washing

JX Valentine
March 19th, 2009, 08:32 AM
For the sake of actually getting a full title today, I'll throw in my two cents one cent.

Wonder.

Astinus
March 19th, 2009, 01:18 PM
Last one? >_>

Malarkey

An-chan
March 19th, 2009, 01:25 PM
Off to posting the corpse, then, am I right? ^-^

The corpse named Discombobulated Dish-washing Wonder Malarkey.
I love it how the titles never make any sense and I can't even understand half of the words... But hey, what the heck. There's always an online dictionary -_-''

JX Valentine
March 19th, 2009, 02:38 PM
Off to posting the corpse, then, am I right? ^-^

Yep. Everyone repeatedly poke Censored. Perhaps in the eye. He only needs one to post, right?

I love it how the titles never make any sense and I can't even understand half of the words... But hey, what the heck. There's always an online dictionary -_-''

XD I say you should contribute a word in Finnish in the next round.

Buoysel
March 19th, 2009, 07:07 PM
I posted it before anyone could poke me. HA, take that society!

JX Valentine
April 19th, 2009, 03:44 PM
Yeah, I know it's been a month since round three ended, but there's reasons why I haven't started round four yet. Namely, bunch of crap happened between the end of round three and now, and, well, real-life sucks.

Anyway, we could do a fourth round, but I'm just wondering if anyone's interested in doing so. It may be slow-going for this round as well on the updating side of things because I really don't even know where I'll be living for half the summer let alone whether or not I'll be mooching off someone's interwebs, but we'll see what comes out of that.

In any case, if you're interested, just put your name down here, and if we get a reasonable amount of people, we'll get the next round launched.

Shrike Flamestar
April 20th, 2009, 10:15 AM
...I'd be interested. :O

I mean, it's just a page. One page. I don't know what's up in other people's lives to prevent them from finding the time needed to write a single page of writing which could be done in a half hour or less once you get a basic idea for what to write. Really, with something like this, you don't even need an idea. Just take what you get and write the craziest, most off the wall thing that comes to mind.

Even if it's just one short page, I've found that I quite like doing this. They remind me of the writing exercises we did in school where the teacher would give you some prompt and then you had to write whatever came to mind. They were annoying to me at the time, but given what I do in school now I'd kill to have those back...

An-chan
April 20th, 2009, 11:05 AM
I'm in. I can also pretend to be three different people if we don't get enough writers otherwise xD I really kind of love doing this...

Actually, now that I think of it... If we only get a few people, it might be interesting to do a double round, so that everyone gets two turns. It might have some fun effects on the final product, especially if people try to be on the same storyline on both turns.

Then again, I see no reason why we wouldn't get enough people. There hasn't been a shortage of people before... Although, it is the busiest time in school right now. Still, like Shrike said, one page. I just suggested just in case.

Ninja Caterpie
April 20th, 2009, 03:43 PM
I'll go.

It's only the beginning of Term 2.

Although it could get to the half-yearlies by the time I get my turn. :O Might even get to next holidays. xD

Astinus
April 20th, 2009, 04:15 PM
That last corpse was never even finished. =/

And I'll join in with this next one. I can easily write a page for this corpse on my breaks at work.

Shrike Flamestar
April 20th, 2009, 05:33 PM
Technically I believe it was finished however so many people dropped out that I don't think even the last person realized they were the last person. :S

EDIT: Okay, I guess the last person was the tail all along, but I guess it was just that so few people wrote compared to how many signed up that we were all expecting more entries and, in part due to the lack of a good old fashioned "the end," we all were just caught unaware.

JX Valentine
April 20th, 2009, 05:36 PM
Technically I believe it was finished however so many people dropped out that I don't think even the last person realized they were the last person. :S

If we say it's Coleridge-esque, we can get away with never finishing it. *bricked for English major humor*

Shrike Flamestar
April 20th, 2009, 05:40 PM
...Well that's a first, someone posting while I was editing. X_x That's an all new sort of ninja post...

Anyways, I added this: Okay, I guess the last person was the tail all along, but I guess it was just that so few people wrote compared to how many signed up that we were all expecting more entries and, in part due to the lack of a good old fashioned "the end," we all were just caught unaware.

So...

*Joins in on the brick throwing as he is not an English major and does not get the joke although assumes it's a reference to someone who always leaves stories hanging.*

JX Valentine
April 20th, 2009, 05:48 PM
Okay, I guess the last person was the tail all along, but I guess it was just that so few people wrote compared to how many signed up that we were all expecting more entries and, in part due to the lack of a good old fashioned "the end," we all were just caught unaware.

This is totally not why it took me a month to edit in the link. Of course not.

*Joins in on the brick throwing as he is not an English major and does not get the joke although assumes it's a reference to someone who always leaves stories hanging.*

Samuel Taylor Coleridge once got high on opium, wrote half a poem about his drug-induced dreams, but got sidetracked when someone knocked on his door and talked to him for over an hour until he forgot what the dream was about. :D

(This, unfortunately, is not the only instance of Coleridge completely failing at finishing something.)