PDA

View Full Version : BBC: Canada primed for snap election (Your voting too eh?)

Netto Azure
September 4th, 2008, 04:52 PM
Ok I was looking through the BBC world news service and this attracted my attention...(Us here in the USA are voting for our Congresspersons and President you know this November along with "Initiatives"...and now you guys too for your Parliament and Prime Minister) What a coincidence eh?...so what is this I keep hearing about Political deadlock, can you guys in Canada elaborate? So now you can vote for the issues you approve of and tip the balance from Conservative to Liberal or stay Conservative. The thing was I lived in Winnipeg for 7 months in '02 and visited at '04 (Still remembers Paul Martin's Liberal campaign and Stephen Harper's...for Conservatives...)

So what do you think...????

Alakazam17
September 4th, 2008, 04:59 PM
From what I heard, the current Canadian government(which is Conservative) wants to hold an election before the Americans because they believe that the imminent Obama win will subconsciously make Canadians vote Liberal. So they want to hold the Canadian election before the Americans go to the polls, making an election date of October 14th.

So it is in no way a coincidence....it was planned. XD

Netto Azure
September 4th, 2008, 05:07 PM
From what I heard, the current Canadian government(which is Conservative) wants to hold an election before the Americans because they believe that the imminent Obama win will subconsciously make Canadians vote Liberal. So they want to hold the Canadian election before the Americans go to the polls, making an election date of October 14th.

So it is in no way a coincidence....it was planned. XD

It's all a frekin Conspiracy by our Worlds Governments!!! To make the UN OUR Government!!! *shot* Sorry I just couldn't help it and yeah your opinion does somewhat make sense...

Alakazam17
September 4th, 2008, 05:23 PM
Ooh, new poll....I took the 3rd choice, because I'll always vote NDP in elections. Of all the candidates, I seriously believe that Jack Layton would make the best prime minister. And seeing as Dione got the head Liberal spot by a fluke, and the fact that the Conservatives have bashed him quite easily, Layton might just get the record number of NDP seats this fall. It may be just wishful thinking on my part, but you never know these days.

Keitaro
September 5th, 2008, 03:03 AM
I'm not sure who I'm going to vote for yet. I know it won't be Harper trying to turn my country into America Jr. that's for sure. I'll vote for a canadate who is against the NAU or at least against the Carbon Tax if there is one.

Cherrim
September 5th, 2008, 09:12 AM
It's hard to explain if you've never heard of it before, but with our system, we have something called "majority government" and "minority government". Basically, if a party gets over a certain percentage of votes, they become a majority government. They'd hold the majority vote in issues and they're completely safe. However, if it's a close election and one party pulls ahead to win, they end up with a minority government. This means that, in some issue, if the other parties "pool" their votes (it's far more complicated than this but bare with me <_<) to outnumber the elected party's votes, then an election is called. Something like that. :| I'm an awful person for not remembering the perfect details, and there's more to it than this, but that's enough to understand the jist of it, I suppose.

Anyway, Harper, the prime minister, wants to call an election because he thinks that if we went into a vote right now, the Conservative party would get a majority vote. With that, they wouldn't have to worry about a suprise election due to a tipping of the balance of votes. It may have something to do with the American election too but... I dunno. Our Liberals are in pretty poor shape right now, iirc, and they haven't impressed me in the last few years or so and I don't think they're ready to lead the country just yet. :/ I'll definitely be voting but I'm not quite sure what for yet. :P

Netto Azure
September 5th, 2008, 10:06 AM
It's hard to explain if you've never heard of it before, but with our system, we have something called "majority government" and "minority government". Basically, if a party gets over a certain percentage of votes, they become a majority government. They'd hold the majority vote in issues and they're completely safe. However, if it's a close election and one party pulls ahead to win, they end up with a minority government. This means that, in some issue, if the other parties "pool" their votes (it's far more complicated than this but bare with me <_<) to outnumber the elected party's votes, then an election is called. Something like that. :| I'm an awful person for not remembering the perfect details, and there's more to it than this, but that's enough to understand the jist of it, I suppose.

Anyway, Harper, the prime minister, wants to call an election because he thinks that if we went into a vote right now, the Conservative party would get a majority vote. With that, they wouldn't have to worry about a suprise election due to a tipping of the balance of votes. It may have something to do with the American election too but... I dunno. Our Liberals are in pretty poor shape right now, iirc, and they haven't impressed me in the last few years or so and I don't think they're ready to lead the country just yet. :/ I'll definitely be voting but I'm not quite sure what for yet. :P

I had a rudimentary understanding of this before your post...now I relatively understand Parliamentary Politics (Thank You) I've read that the Conservatives only have a 44% Majority (BBC) and that is why their calling for a snap election. Too much political deadlock between the parties.

TRIFORCE89
September 5th, 2008, 05:22 PM
I don't think Harper will win a majority, and I don't think that's what he's aiming for. At the moment he's said he's going for another minority.

I think he's calling an election early because, like you said, the Liberals aren't doing so well right now. They've done a great job at stalling stuff the Conservatives have tried to pass, but they haven't forced an election despite having many great opportunities. They're low on funds right now and they just aren't ready for the election trail.

I think Harper's calling the election because he thinks he can get another minority and at the same time it would drain out the Liberals financially for a bit.

Abrogate Nadir
September 5th, 2008, 05:33 PM
I'm not old enough to vote, but if I could, I would vote for the Conservatives. I would like it if Harper could pull off a majority since then there wouldn't be the danger of having another election in like a year. As well, I know some have argued that a minority government is better because there is more accountability, but it also makes it a lot harder to get anything done.

I don't care for Dion at all. As for Jack Layton, to be honest, I do like him, but I don't generally like the NDP party.

I'm not going to say Harper is perfect, mind you. I disagree with a lot of his views. I suppose I just see him as the least objectionable option. But I wouldn't blame anyone for disagreeing, because even as I say that, I don't hold that belief with very strong conviction.

TRIFORCE89
September 5th, 2008, 05:54 PM
I'll be voting Conservative for you then. XD I like Harper. I don't agree with him 100% though. He's the former leader of the Canadian Alliance and between the two parties that make up the current Conservative party, I very much align myself with the Progressive Conservatives. A centre-right stance on economic issues and a centrist stance on social issues - that's exactly where I lean. I would very much prefer a PCer be the leader of the current party instead of a reformer like Harper, but oh well. The world doesn't revolve around hugs and kisses. The world revolves around money and I just don't agree with Liberal economic policies at all.

A big difference between the Democrats/Republicans and the Liberals/Conservatives is that...in the States the parties disagree on whether or not something should exist (let's say...a publicly funding child care system for example). But over here both parties pretty much agree except for a small handful of things - it's how they want to go about getting to that the end result and how they want it to function that differs. Left, centre, or right - Canada is a social country.

I don't agree with Layton on anything at all, but I think he would make a better leader than Dion. I can't believe this is who the Liberals chose to represent their party. Maybe they were hoping the court to voters in Quebec? But was there no one better? They had a bunch of big and popular guys running for the job, and they chose him. He also just seems...weak. He's very whiny and as opposition leader he should be more intimidating. He talks the talk, but he doesn't walk the walk. He hasn't been threatening Harper with an election - the media has. Even if you don't have the funds you should at least threaten. And I don't trust Dion at all on the environment. Not that it's at the top of my list of concerns or anything - but he was the Environment Minister for the Liberals. It was the Liberals who agreed to the Kyoto Protocol and vowed to get our carbon levels 6% below our 1990 levels - and it was under the Liberals and under Dion as Environment Minister that our levels actually went up 27% - the States only went up 16%! Kyoto is now unobtainable by the end of the commitment period because of the Liberals and they have no business criticizing Harper's Clean Air Act. I have no idea why the Liberals and NDP insist that Harper destroyed our commitment to Kyoto. It was the Liberals plain and simple. The truth is in the statistics. I don't trust a party who can't take responsibility for their own mistakes. Let's go for another sponsorship scandal, shall we? @_@

At the moment, Layton is ignoring Dion on the pre-campaign trail. He just doesn't see Dion as a threat. He's going straight for Harper, which is really a first for the party.

In the last election I was very disappointed with an ad the Liberals ran. There's always going to be nasty campaigns from all parties, but last time Paul Martin did something rather dastardly. Basically, Harper was quoted as saying he would have no objection in bringing in the armed forces during a Katrina-like situation. The Liberals took that quote, added some war drums for music, and tried to spin it that Harper was a dictator and that we would have soldiers in our streets and live in a totalitarian state. I know Martin is no longer the leader, but I just have no respect for the party if you're that desperate to win.

Netto Azure
September 10th, 2008, 04:03 PM
For not being able to reply to this thread...I only have small amounts of free time...

I'll be voting Conservative for you then. XD I like Harper. I don't agree with him 100% though. He's the former leader of the Canadian Alliance and between the two parties that make up the current Conservative party, I very much align myself with the Progressive Conservatives. A centre-right stance on economic issues and a centrist stance on social issues - that's exactly where I lean. I would very much prefer a PCer be the leader of the current party instead of a reformer like Harper, but oh well. The world doesn't revolve around hugs and kisses. The world revolves around money and I just don't agree with Liberal economic policies at all.

A big difference between the Democrats/Republicans and the Liberals/Conservatives is that...in the States the parties disagree on whether or not something should exist (let's say...a publicly funding child care system for example). But over here both parties pretty much agree except for a small handful of things - it's how they want to go about getting to that the end result and how they want it to function that differs. Left, centre, or right - Canada is a social country.

That is so true...I really wish American politicians can agree better on things...and to be frank I think Canada is a very mature country to be able to agree on important issues and just debate on how to get to their goals...And yeah Canada is quite the Social country like the Western European Countries...

I don't agree with Layton on anything at all, but I think he would make a better leader than Dion. I can't believe this is who the Liberals chose to represent their party. Maybe they were hoping the court to voters in Quebec? But was there no one better? They had a bunch of big and popular guys running for the job, and they chose him. He also just seems...weak. He's very whiny and as opposition leader he should be more intimidating. He talks the talk, but he doesn't walk the walk. He hasn't been threatening Harper with an election - the media has. Even if you don't have the funds you should at least threaten. And I don't trust Dion at all on the environment. Not that it's at the top of my list of concerns or anything - but he was the Environment Minister for the Liberals. It was the Liberals who agreed to the Kyoto Protocol and vowed to get our carbon levels 6% below our 1990 levels - and it was under the Liberals and under Dion as Environment Minister that our levels actually went up 27% - the States only went up 16%! Kyoto is now unobtainable by the end of the commitment period because of the Liberals and they have no business criticizing Harper's Clean Air Act. I have no idea why the Liberals and NDP insist that Harper destroyed our commitment to Kyoto. It was the Liberals plain and simple. The truth is in the statistics. I don't trust a party who can't take responsibility for their own mistakes. Let's go for another sponsorship scandal, shall we? @_@

At the moment, Layton is ignoring Dion on the pre-campaign trail. He just doesn't see Dion as a threat. He's going straight for Harper, which is really a first for the party.

In the last election I was very disappointed with an ad the Liberals ran. There's always going to be nasty campaigns from all parties, but last time Paul Martin did something rather dastardly. Basically, Harper was quoted as saying he would have no objection in bringing in the armed forces during a Katrina-like situation. The Liberals took that quote, added some war drums for music, and tried to spin it that Harper was a dictator and that we would have soldiers in our streets and live in a totalitarian state. I know Martin is no longer the leader, but I just have no respect for the party if you're that desperate to win.

I don't live in Canada so I just relatively understand what you are discussing...But I can see mud-slinging when it is described. Also that ad you described might be even more common here in the US if both candidates didn't try to run a "Change" campaign...

I'll read this a little deeper later since I have to wash dishes...XP

Stalin Malone
September 10th, 2008, 07:55 PM
There is no party in Canada which promotes the traditional values which I favor so...

TRIFORCE89
September 11th, 2008, 05:49 PM
I don't live in Canada so I just relatively understand what you are discussing...
I can clear stuff up if you want.

We get all the American media here, so it's easy for us to follow your politics. But, the reverse isn't true.

I'm not sure who I'm going to vote for yet. I know it won't be Harper trying to turn my country into America Jr. that's for sure. I'll vote for a canadate who is against the NAU or at least against the Carbon Tax if there is one.
I couldn't find anything on Layton or Dion, but Harper is against a North American Union. Both Layton and Harper oppose Dion's Carbon Tax.

You don't want Harper because he's turning our country into America Jr...somehow. O_o And you won't want Dion because of the Carbon Tax. So, looks like you're voting Layton.

Netto Azure
September 15th, 2008, 12:51 PM
As you might have known last week here in the US the Presidential campaign has gone negative...The ads have started to "stretch the truth" for political advantage...

But is it true that there in Canada it's much "uglier"? In NPR's "Wait...Wait don't tell me" a Humourous news quiz which pokes fun at the weeks news. They pointed out that there was a Conservative party ad in their website showing the PM Liberal Party candidate being "pooped on" by a puffin while siting under a tree?...The unusual thing is that when people complained there the Conservative Party ACTUALLY PULLED IT OUT AND APOLOGIZED!!! LOL XP...But to be frank that is really mature...Sometimes that maturity is hard to find in this US Elections as seen last week...I mean if that was done here the ad would actually be "improved on" by probably adding stuff as "What will you do if Putin poops on you?" Joke XD But the "improvement" would be along that line...

Anyways here was that program: http://www.npr.org/templates/rundowns/rundown.php?prgId=35

Oh well at least it isn't the Philippines where during the elections the 3 G's rule (Guns, Goon, & Gold) I know I'm being pessimistic but hey after seeing this happen even after all of the student activists hard work...you can't help but be pessimistic.

TRIFORCE89
September 15th, 2008, 06:29 PM
It was an featured on the party's website. The ad remains without the puffin. Official response is that it was due to an overeager web developer.

That was small ad that ran for only a short while on their website. Not nearly as widespread as the ads coming out of the US. I wouldn't say our TV are worse than your's. You guys seem to stretch the truth on both parties. But, over here the ads aren't really mean this year...just creative. There's a Conservative ad airing currently where there's a slot machine and every losing option that pops up is a picture of the Liberal leader.

Netto Azure
September 15th, 2008, 07:48 PM
It was an featured on the party's website. The ad remains without the puffin. Official response is that it was due to an overeager web developer.

That was small ad that ran for only a short while on their website. Not nearly as widespread as the ads coming out of the US. I wouldn't say our TV are worse than your's. You guys seem to stretch the truth on both parties. But, over here the ads aren't really mean this year...just creative. There's a Conservative ad airing currently where there's a slot machine and every losing option that pops up is a picture of the Liberal leader.

Such creativity is rarely seen in this US election...Usually it's just straight out bashing of the other candidates...I wish people here can be a little bit more creative so we'll acually pay attention to their ads...But eh usually the media just re-airs any "unusual" ad and gives the candidates serious free air time by giving hours of "comments" on the ad in question...makes one wonder how much he candidates pay for their ads...

Is it true that Stephen Harper (Conservative) is proposing to pull out troops from Afghanistan around 2010? Really trying to pull away from the US eh?

Also NPR "WWDTM" was right now that the Hadron-collider has been activated well be sucked into another Black-hole..... with no Exit Strategy...=P Joke...

TRIFORCE89
September 16th, 2008, 04:46 AM
The original plan was to be out of the country by February 2009. But, both Harper and Dion agree that Canada should stay just in the Kandahar Provence a little while longer. Like I said earlier, over here both parties tend to agree. The difference is how they get there.

Liberal leader Dion wanted to leave Kandahar in June of 2011 (and then bumped it a month to July). Conservative leader Harper thought it should be December of 2011. I'm not sure why this is in the news now. He announced this back in February. He only said it again the other day on the campaign trail.

I'm also pretty sure all the parties already passed this motion back when it was first announced.

Grovyle42(Griff8416)
September 16th, 2008, 05:45 AM
Personally, I'm pretty torn upon who to vote for. I'm liberal (at least by American terms, I'm not sure how I stand on my own country's political spectrum) but I don't want to vote for either the liberals, or NDP. Hm, political spectrum tests say I'm centralist. I just want to vote for the most just, least corrupt, least egotistical party.

Oh yeah, the attack ads on the Liberals are pretty funny. xD

Netto Azure
October 1st, 2008, 03:54 PM
How is your guy's campaigns going...14 more days....Which party is more likely to win now? Are you guys consensual on most issues now?

Wow..I could keep up with Canadian news...But I don't have the time to be up at 10 PM PST to listen to CBC on NPR 'cuz my parents will get angry for "wasting" time...D=

TRIFORCE89
October 3rd, 2008, 05:46 AM
Last night was a debate of five parties. A separatist party, two parties on the left, one centre-left, and one centre-right. Safe to say there isn't much consensus. XD

Netto Azure
October 3rd, 2008, 06:33 AM
Last night was a debate of five parties. A separatist party, two parties on the left, one centre-left, and one centre-right. Safe to say there isn't much consensus. XD

Wow CAnada had a debate AT THE SAME TIME as the US'?

Did you guys watch the US VP Debate...Much easier to choose from a two party system than a debate WITH ALL THE PARTIES (5 Wow...) in it....(Yes our 2 party system is too broad...and could easily get corrupted XP )

Red1530
October 3rd, 2008, 06:39 AM
Last night was a debate of five parties. A separatist party, two parties on the left, one centre-left, and one centre-right. Safe to say there isn't much consensus. XDThat must of been fun to watch. I wish that the criteria for being allowed to appear in the U.S debates were changed from having fifteen percent support in the polls to being on the ballot in two-thirds of the states. If this system was in place the Libertarian Party Vice-President nominee would been on the stage with Sen. Biden and Gov. Palin. Now that would of been entertaining.

TRIFORCE89
October 3rd, 2008, 07:13 AM
That wasn't even all of our parties. XD Just the ones that have seat in our House of Commons. The others don't really get a say.

And, I was a bad Canadian an watched the American debate. It wins from an entertainment standpoint. But, I recorded the Canadian one on the PVR and will be watching it today.

Volkner's Apprentice
October 3rd, 2008, 09:49 AM
Wow, I didn't know Canada was going through the elections too (um..I totally get out more than it seems, don't judge me >_<). It should be really interesting to see how this unfolds, especially considering the vast amount of members that are Canadian, it'll probably effect a lot of you not to mention the edges between Canada and the U.S. Hmm.

Netto Azure
October 3rd, 2008, 10:08 AM

I have a question Canadians? How has the Us Economic crisis affected you guys? Because here in the US it seems like the crisis is spreading world-wide. (Europeans are scrambling for stability too =D Sorry...Our fault....) Heh...

suicidesal
October 3rd, 2008, 03:28 PM
Yay Canadian election poll.
I actually just voted and voted NDP, I would've liked to have voted green because I like their platform the best but they have no choice whereas NDP has a good chance at being the official opposition which is good.

Volkner's Apprentice
October 3rd, 2008, 03:35 PM
I have a question Canadians? How has the Us Economic crisis affected you guys? Because here in the US it seems like the crisis is spreading world-wide. (Europeans are scrambling for stability too =D Sorry...Our fault....) Heh...

Haha, well it's not our fault in particular, but those business overlords who the run the joint. How hard can running Wall Street be anyway? :P

But yeah, Canadians, I'm definitely curious about this to.

TRIFORCE89
October 3rd, 2008, 05:19 PM
We don't have as many major banks as you guys, but they way they are setp up and run are fundamentally different. It would be very difficult for our banking system to get itself into a similar situation. We also have a surplus, not a major deficit like the US, so should something happen we have money to spend. And spending in times of need works.

That said though, we are affected by the whole mess. You are our greatest trading partners. It works like this. We manufacture stuff and you guys buy it. But if you're not buying, then we aren't selling, and since you're our biggest partner, we take a hit. We don't have a credit crisis or a housing crisis, but our economy has slowed minimally (not in recession) because manufacturing has taken a hit - and that's because of the situation you guys are in and because our dollar is near par. It's too expensive for Americans to buy Canadian now. :c

And as an aside...this bailout is a mess. It's a very expensive bandaid. As a Canadian I know that a social democracy works but socialism should not enter the free markets. Ever. That's the whole point of a free market. At the moment a depression for the US is almost inevitable - without or without the giant bandaid and perhaps not for couple years. It may not be on the same level as the great depression, but it will be a depression. And both parties are responsible for it. This 40 year-loan nonsense started under Clinton and Bush didn't do anything to reverse that. The current administration Republican and congress is full Democrats. I don't like the idea of the bailout in general, but when the Democrats knocked down the first bill it looked like they were going to implement something better. But then they passed a worse bill. O__o All the bailout does is prolong the pain from occurring for a little bit, but it is going to hit unless changes are made - which neither candidate will probably do effectively.

Netto Azure
October 10th, 2008, 03:34 PM
We don't have as many major banks as you guys, but they way they are setp up and run are fundamentally different. It would be very difficult for our banking system to get itself into a similar situation. We also have a surplus, not a major deficit like the US, so should something happen we have money to spend. And spending in times of need works.

That said though, we are affected by the whole mess. You are our greatest trading partners. It works like this. We manufacture stuff and you guys buy it. But if you're not buying, then we aren't selling, and since you're our biggest partner, we take a hit. We don't have a credit crisis or a housing crisis, but our economy has slowed minimally (not in recession) because manufacturing has taken a hit - and that's because of the situation you guys are in and because our dollar is near par. It's too expensive for Americans to buy Canadian now. :c

And as an aside...this bailout is a mess. It's a very expensive bandaid. As a Canadian I know that a social democracy works but socialism should not enter the free markets. Ever. That's the whole point of a free market. At the moment a depression for the US is almost inevitable - without or without the giant bandaid and perhaps not for couple years. It may not be on the same level as the great depression, but it will be a depression. And both parties are responsible for it. This 40 year-loan nonsense started under Clinton and Bush didn't do anything to reverse that. The current administration Republican and congress is full Democrats. I don't like the idea of the bailout in general, but when the Democrats knocked down the first bill it looked like they were going to implement something better. But then they passed a worse bill. O__o All the bailout does is prolong the pain from occurring for a little bit, but it is going to hit unless changes are made - which neither candidate will probably do effectively.

Sorry for not being able to reply, some "things" came up that ruined my reply tempo. I agree with you that a social democracy works, and yet we also need to protect the free market. (With responsible restrictions of course as we see is needed during this particular economic times) Yes, both US Major Parties are to blame for this current mess were in. It's just that were humans, were influenced by a lot of things. The Democrats I support because of the well, lets just say, "things" that occured during the past 8 years, even this month. Well yes the bailout tacked on another $150 Billion US, just in order to get it passed. The powers that be declared that we need it so the "sweeteners" were added to get Both of the parties to pass it.

Anyways as I have said in the "other" thread I now support the Conservative Party of Canada. I checked the platforms of the three major parties (Liberal, Conservative, maybe NDP) and I beleive that the Canadian people can afford to "Stay the course" as the Conservatives put it since you have a large budget surplus. Seriously you Canadians are lucky since you don't really have to worry about Defense Budget since the US is right next to you. I understand that yes, you are supporting the Afgan "Mission" and are pulling out on 2011. The estimate that came out 2 days ago on the entire cost of the conflict for Canada was $18 Billion. Compared to the US Military expenditure for both Afganistan and Iraq you guys are lucky.

So yes, you guys have the wiggle room to weather this financial crisis and with the Conservatives willing to keep the taxes as they are and using the surplus to invest on the West and manufacturing which can spur growth. I usually lean left but I can support this due to your surplus. You Canadians should be happy. :D

TRIFORCE89
October 10th, 2008, 03:44 PM
It'd be nice if we didn't rely on you guys for defence though. Our military is like...two tugboats and a rubber ducky.

Netto Azure
October 10th, 2008, 03:52 PM
It'd be nice if we didn't rely on you guys for defence though. Our military is like...two tugboats and a rubber ducky.

ROTFL...:P :P :P don't worry read "World War Z" we'll "protect" you *smacks head* heh...>_> But yes, in an ideal world you guys should be emulated. But eh the world is grey as sims796 keeps cramming down my throat.

TRIFORCE89
October 10th, 2008, 04:06 PM
Sorry for not being able to reply, some "things" came up that ruined my reply tempo. I agree with you that a social democracy works, and yet we also need to protect the free market. (With responsible restrictions of course as we see is needed during this particular economic times) Yes, both US Major Parties are to blame for this current mess were in. It's just that were humans, were influenced by a lot of things. The Democrats I support because of the well, lets just say, "things" that occured during the past 8 years, even this month. Well yes the bailout tacked on another $150 Billion US, just in order to get it passed. The powers that be declared that we need it so the "sweeteners" were added to get Both of the parties to pass it.

Anyways as I have said in the "other" thread I now support the Conservative Party of Canada. I checked the platforms of the three major parties (Liberal, Conservative, maybe NDP) and I beleive that the Canadian people can afford to "Stay the course" as the Conservatives put it since you have a large budget surplus. Seriously you Canadians are lucky since you don't really have to worry about Defense Budget since the US is right next to you. I understand that yes, you are supporting the Afgan "Mission" and are pulling out on 2011. The estimate that came out 2 days ago on the entire cost of the conflict for Canada was $18 Billion. Compared to the US Military expenditure for both Afganistan and Iraq you guys are lucky.

So yes, you guys have the wiggle room to weather this financial crisis and with the Conservatives willing to keep the taxes as they are and using the surplus to invest on the West and manufacturing which can spur growth. I usually lean left but I can support this due to your surplus. You Canadians should be happy. :D
Our banks have been ranked 1 and 2 the last few years in terms of soundness. I think the US was ranked around 43 or something.

Anyway, so you've read the platforms. What do you think of the Liberal Green Shift?

Netto Azure
October 10th, 2008, 04:18 PM
Our banks have been ranked 1 and 2 the last few years in terms of soundness. I think the US was ranked around 43 or something.

Anyway, so you've read the platforms. What do you think of the Liberal Green Shift?

I would support it if the Global Economy was not in a general recession. With Canada increasing in the manufacturing industry, the Green shift plan is not feesable in these uncertain economic times. A tax-balancing act for the carbon tax is just too risky. But withrawing from the Kyoto Treaty I think was bad decision (Yet realistic though after being neglected so much) I mean Climate Change is one of my Major Issues but the economy has flattened other issues like a flapjack.

Edit; So you guys are voting next week. Which party does it look like, that is going to get the majority (Finally!)

TRIFORCE89
October 11th, 2008, 04:26 AM
I don't think there will be a majority. I think the Conservatives will win a minority again, but there will be a decreased Liberal presence in the House of Commons. The NDP I can see gaining more seats than the usually do or even becoming the opposition party.

Netto Azure
October 11th, 2008, 03:55 PM
I don't think there will be a majority. I think the Conservatives will win a minority again, but there will be a decreased Liberal presence in the House of Commons. The NDP I can see gaining more seats than the usually do or even becoming the opposition party.

Another Minority? Wasn't the reason for this snap election was that you guys can't compromise due to the Conservative minority government, with the Liberals beng hard-lined on things.

LilLoveGirl
October 12th, 2008, 12:41 AM
I don't know about Candad much really.

TRIFORCE89
October 12th, 2008, 04:35 AM
Two days left. Harper's trying to regain some votes he's probably lost in Quebec because of Bloc and Liberal campaigns. To paraphrase, "Look, just because I'm a Conservative doesn't mean I'm George Bush. And, it doesn't mean I'm a big oil man any more than being from Quebec makes you an expert on Maple Syrup. I'm not this cold, emotionless person - which is the picture the opposition is trying to paint of me. I'm probably the most middle-class Prime Minister this country has ever had."

On the Dion front...Just yesterday he said that anything he promised in the last week he probably can't fulfil. It just dawned on him what the global economy is like. XD "Do you think it is easy to make priorities?"

Netto Azure
October 12th, 2008, 11:35 AM
Two days left. Harper's trying to regain some votes he's probably lost in Quebec because of Bloc and Liberal campaigns. To paraphrase, "Look, just because I'm a Conservative doesn't mean I'm George Bush. And, it doesn't mean I'm a big oil man any more than being from Quebec makes you an expert on Maple Syrup. I'm not this cold, emotionless person - which is the picture the opposition is trying to paint of me. I'm probably the most middle-class Prime Minister this country has ever had."

On the Dion front...Just yesterday he said that anything he promised in the last week he probably can't fulfill. It just dawned on him what the global economy is like. XD "Do you think it is easy to make priorities?"

Oh my...I've heard about the "cold persona" campaign the Liberals are running...Heh...Tying the Conservatives to Bush? Reminds me of something similar in the US campaign >.<
Wow...The Liberals actually admitted to abandoning some of their campaign promises due to the General Global Recession. :D It might lose them some seats but at least they are showing that they are not out of touch with the current Economic Reality, unlike some other US major political party candidates that I know of. Wow, your political parties are actually being realistic. Hay, if only the US campaign could be more like that, realistic, rather than devolving to obvious negative smear campaigns. I would probably trust them more. If one of the US candidates finally admits that his hands are tied due to the economy that might be the "October Surprise."

We should ask that to the US candidates: "Do you think it's easy to make priorities?" :P I'm sure they are just going to answer as if this was still the primaries and that ALL campaign promises would be MAGICALLY initiated.

Oh well I'm supporting the Conservatives as you know since these economic times call for some government belt-tightening. :D

Wow...you guys are lucky, just two more days...For us here in the US it's still 3 more weeks of enduring negative smear attack ads...D=

TRIFORCE89
October 14th, 2008, 04:03 AM
Okay Canadians. Today's the day in case you can't figure out Google'ca logo today. If you're old enough to vote, go do it.

Cherrim
October 14th, 2008, 04:25 AM
I'll be voting right after work assuming I managed to bring the right documents, which I kinda doubt since all those radio commercials seemed to imply simple ID wouldn't be enough. 8/ Regardless, it will be done later today. I hope I can get everything I need to do out of the way fast enough to watch the results later today.

TRIFORCE89
October 14th, 2008, 04:38 AM
It should be enough. You just need the voter card and your driver's license (or any other form of ID). And if you have neither you can have someone vouch for you. I didn't have a voter card for the Provincial one, so my mom had to say that I am who I say I am.

Cherrim
October 14th, 2008, 04:46 AM
Oh. That's easy then. :\ Haha, the way they were so ominous in the "PLZ VOTE" commercials on the radio I heard everyday, I assumed you needed some crazy stuff like passports or something. 8(

Netto Azure
October 14th, 2008, 06:46 AM
Oh. That's easy then. :\ Haha, the way they were so ominous in the "PLZ VOTE" commercials on the radio I heard everyday, I assumed you needed some crazy stuff like passports or something. 8(

With the Global Economy & Trade as it is, how can the "PLZ VOTE" commercials not be ominous? :P

You Canadians are lucky. The Negative and smear ad attacks are finally over with the campaigns ending in Vancouver, BC yesterday. To bad we still have to endure the Lies that both campaigns are spewing out here in the US. It's getting tiresome already.
I can't wait to find out the results and see if it's another Minority Government. Seriously one of the parties should get a majority since the you guys won't be able to react properly to the unfolding economic earthquake without a unified response.

Alakazam17
October 14th, 2008, 07:25 AM
I don't think I could stand all that campaigning that is in the US. You've had people running around for what, 23 years now? ...oh, only 23 months? XD well our election was announced a little over a month ago. XD

I just came from voting for my first time, at, to my surprise, the elementary school across from my place! XD There was no Anarchist Party, unfortunately, but the Marxist and Marijuana Parties were on my ballot.

I went and voted NDP. I think Jack Layton can do some good things for us, though unfortunately he doesn't have a chance of winning. That said, he could very well be the Opposition Leader. =D

I have never supported the Conservatives, and I never will. I'll just leave it at that though, heh.

TRIFORCE89
October 14th, 2008, 08:52 AM
Our elections are nice. Five weeks, five parties. Good balance.

Netto Azure
October 14th, 2008, 09:32 AM
Our elections are nice. Five weeks, five parties. Good balance.

True...But the US System of Gruelling Primaries and Smear General Elections really puts the strongest to the Top with the candidates lives looked upon through a microscope.

TRIFORCE89
October 14th, 2008, 09:35 AM
Because your parties have new leaders every election (well...not for the one who is in power). Our leaders stay around for ages. We don't need to know more about them.

Netto Azure
October 14th, 2008, 11:21 AM
Because your parties have new leaders every election (well...not for the one who is in power). Our leaders stay around for ages. We don't need to know more about them.
Lucky, So you guys really know who your voting for eh? well Canada is a lot less diverse than the US so some things are much easier to do...

Keitaro
October 14th, 2008, 04:20 PM
Well I was going to vote for the Canadian Action Party easily; however nobody was representing them at my local so I voted NDP, despite disagreeing with them on some issues. Layton at least claims he is against a Carbon Tax & North American Union, wouldn't be surprised though if he goes back on his word like most politicians. I had to take that risk in voting for the NDP party though because voting for Liberal/Conservative pretty much guarantees that there will be either a NAU under Harper or a Carbon Tax under Dion.

Netto Azure
October 14th, 2008, 04:41 PM
Well I was going to vote for the Canadian Action Party easily; however nobody was representing them at my local so I voted NDP, despite disagreeing with them on some issues. Layton at least claims he is against a Carbon Tax & North American Union, wouldn't be surprised though if he goes back on his word like most politicians. I had to take that risk in voting for the NDP party though because voting for Liberal/Conservative pretty much guarantees that there will be either a NAU under Harper or a Carbon Tax under Dion.

The concept of a NAU is scary... I just don't see how it will fly...with America's majority being generally against undocumented immigrants (with deep-rooted prejudices being the reason) it's highly unlikely that the US and Canadian Legislative Branches would ever allow it, Along with the Judicial Branches. Politicians will be Politicians, they have to have the "flexibility" (or flip-flop capabilities, take your choice) for compromise, since the government cannot move forward without some kind of Majority consensus...:(

Edit: If you guys can, Please post the Election Result since I usually check out PC first...Bye for now...

TRIFORCE89
October 14th, 2008, 05:24 PM
How on earth does Harper guarantee a North American Union?

The only thing I can think of that could remotely support that is when he said it was not a "generally expressed concern" last summer. And that's only if you take it out of context. It's not a generally expressed concern as in there's nothing to worry about and it's not going to happen.

The only thing that could change is standardization of manufacturing procedures. That's all. And those are discussions that are simply continuing from the last Liberal government. Basic trading discussions.

I have no idea what being on the right has do with selling out to America? Just because a Republican is in power right now in the States? If say...Layton wins and Obama wins in the States are people going to say Layton is going to sell us out to the States because now the politics match? No. They didn't do it when the Liberals were in power and the Clinton was in power.

I don't get this horrendous double standard. Having right-wing politics doesn't make you evil.

Red1530
October 14th, 2008, 06:17 PM
The official election site of Canada is streaming results (http://enr.elections.ca/National_e.aspx) of the election. As of right now the Conservatives are winning.

I am against the idea of the North American Union because if it reduce American sovereignty. For example the United States is more liberal when it comes to free speech.

Keitaro
October 14th, 2008, 07:38 PM
How on earth does Harper guarantee a North American Union?

The only thing I can think of that could remotely support that is when he said it was not a "generally expressed concern" last summer. And that's only if you take it out of context. It's not a generally expressed concern as in there's nothing to worry about and it's not going to happen.

The only thing that could change is standardization of manufacturing procedures. That's all. And those are discussions that are simply continuing from the last Liberal government. Basic trading discussions.

I have no idea what being on the right has do with selling out to America? Just because a Republican is in power right now in the States? If say...Layton wins and Obama wins in the States are people going to say Layton is going to sell us out to the States because now the politics match? No. They didn't do it when the Liberals were in power and the Clinton was in power.

I don't get this horrendous double standard. Having right-wing politics doesn't make you evil.

Well let me address the first question before responding to your little rant there.

I admit I was a bit careless with my words, perhaps had I said it is more likely another Harper term would lead to a North American Union maybe I wouldn’t have tugged on others emotion strings. However I still stand by my point and believe a Harper government will lead to a North American Union. I’ve heard plenty of times in his speeches supporting free trade (light term for NAFTA); I remember when he defended NAFTA alongside Bush & Calderon and even last year when he actually spoke on the Council on Foreign Relations. I’m skeptical when it comes to sites like this claiming he endorses the CFR >>> http://www.princegeorgecitizen.com/index2.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=154355&pop=1&page=0&Itemid=1 yet am not amused when people in anyway shape or form get involved with the CFR.

As a response to your rant, I never said anything-stereotypical involving democrats or republicans; I’m merely going off the basis of what I know about the candidates. In my opinion Democrats/Republicans are the same and should be held both accountable for whatever mess they’ve gotten us into. I remember an old saying about American politics two party system, something like one is the dumb candidate, while the other is evil and every once and awhile they unite to create a evil-dumb idea or something like that, lol.

In any case I hope I didn't mean any offense, appologize for my lazy usage of words. I've never considered it like Rep vs Dem more as People vs Gov. and respect my fellow Canadian neighbors.

TRIFORCE89
October 14th, 2008, 07:46 PM
No harm taken. The second half of my "rant" was more addressing overall stuff from this thread and the US thread - not specifically you. I should've put like a "--" or something to separate it.

If you have problems with NAFTA, all power to you. But NAFTA is very different than a union - as that includes politics in addition to economics.

Cherrim
October 15th, 2008, 03:31 AM
Conservative minority get.

Can't say I'm really suprised. With the polls leaning toward BQ so heavily in Quebec, it did look like the Conservatives were going to lose a lot of seats there even though it was my understanding that they were going to try to, you know, get more of them. 8/ I don't like Harper in the least, but I was kind of hoping for a majority government to justify this election (he got closer but... I don't know, I still feel this wasn't quite worth the money spent on this election :|), plus I feel with the economy the way it is, a majority government could just be more beneficial than delaying decisions somewhat in order to appease the opposition. Or something.

Also, lowest voter turn out ever. What was it, 58%, down from a previous low of 62.8%? Maybe I was expecting a little too much, but with the economy as shaky as it is, I figured more people would turn up, or have an opinion. :/

One thing I found amusing--I was watching the live coverage on CBC last night. After the votes started coming in, he didn't get to say much, but I bet Canada's the only country who would have a comedian in the group doing the official coverage of the national media company. Haha, I love Rick Mercer.

TRIFORCE89
October 15th, 2008, 04:12 AM
So, we ended up just where Harper said we would. Started this saying stronger minority. Yesterday, they said between 140 and 145 seats. Ended the night with 143 and a stronger minority.
I still think the point of this was to weaken the Liberals significantly. Seems to have worked. Worst Liberal loss I think it was (or second worst). With opposition hit (and Canada pretty much voting for him again), hopefully things won't be delayed this time around.

I don't think the Tories or the Liberals lost very much in Quebec - the Bloc only have two extra seats than last time. But, it still bugs me. The NDP and Liberals combined make 113 seats, the conservatives have 143. 12 short from a majority. And the Conservatives even managed to pick up seats in the 905 for once! I blame Quebec XD

We're still a minority, but a stronger one. Conservatives are up about 15, Liberals are down 20. NDP up 7.

I don't get the low turnout. It certainly doesn't seem hard to believe that more people would vote (for whoever) since tough times are approaching. But, wow. That's sad. It's a Tuesday, what were people doing that were more important. O_o

And I missed the beginning of all this because I was doing homework upstairs. Mercer was on it? XD

Cherrim
October 15th, 2008, 04:50 AM
And I still don't believe for a second that Harper wasn't trying to go for a majority in the first place. :(

I thought the Conservatives weren't taken very seriously in Quebec? BQ's party had a LOT of support, to the point where their campaign took a turn to stop "slandering" the other parties and to tell people to go out and vote because they didn't want everyone to see the early polls and assume they didn't need to bother voting. XD; Not to mention half the things Harper said didn't sit well with the province, I'd heard. Winning in the 905 area code (and Toronto) is important but... so is Quebec. o_O; Haha, I know that "nobody likes the arts rawr" quote is something everyone hated there but I forget what the other issue was that lost him a lot of votes.

Yeah, they were saying before I went to bed that it was looking like it would be a low turnout, possibly record-breaking, but they didn't have enough votes to say. I find it amazing that it WAS record-breaking though. I mean... sure, sometimes the big issues on the table aren't that interesting and I can see being listless with your vote in that case but this election seemed so much more important than that. Why are people so stupid? :(

Though I know in at least one downtown TO riding, some voters had a poll location that didn't exist and thus couldn't vote. XD

Mercer was there in '06, too. They had some comedic stuff to start out before any results were coming in. Mercer had a spot in the circle of desks with all the other important people. Didn't get to say all that much after everything was underway but he liked to randomly stare at the camera and wink. D8

TRIFORCE89
October 15th, 2008, 04:57 AM
Fair enough. XD I'm just giving the "official" position. Even if it's just political nonsense.

The Conservatives were aiming for Quebec and things were looking in their favour (not to overtake the Provence or anything, but at least secure a few more seats) until he mentioned the cut to art welfare. lol

The low turn out just dumbfounds me. I think global economic instability would be a pretty big issue. XD

One thing I find very interesting... In Oshawa, where a lot of manufacturing jobs were lost, not only did they vote Conservative but they re-elected the Conservative finance minister!

Cherrim
October 15th, 2008, 07:27 AM
Well he's obviously not gonna admit he's going for majority in case, like today, he'd have to eat his words. :P

I thought there was something else that turned Quebec off aside from the art funding cut or whatever. :( Maybe there wasn't and I just don't know what I'm talking about. Oh well, fact remains they don't like him, ahaha. I doubt the few seats he might've potentially scored there anyway would have tipped him into a majority anyway though.

I don't get why more people wouldn't vote. Are they not reaching to youth voters? I think all the parties have, like, Twitters. :( A Facebook link is right on the Conservative website, too. C'mon, Canada, parliament is ttly hip and happening.

Manufacturing jobs are lost all the time. :/ Haha, I'll admit I haven't been paying attention to that area of the news much at all recently so maybe that's why it doesn't come as a surprise to me.

Netto Azure
October 15th, 2008, 09:45 AM
Well he's obviously not gonna admit he's going for majority in case, like today, he'd have to eat his words. :P

I thought there was something else that turned Quebec off aside from the art funding cut or whatever. :( Maybe there wasn't and I just don't know what I'm talking about. Oh well, fact remains they don't like him, ahaha. I doubt the few seats he might've potentially scored there anyway would have tipped him into a majority anyway though.

I don't get why more people wouldn't vote. Are they not reaching to youth voters? I think all the parties have, like, Twitters. :( A Facebook link is right on the Conservative website, too. C'mon, Canada, parliament is ttly hip and happening.

Manufacturing jobs are lost all the time. :/ Haha, I'll admit I haven't been paying attention to that area of the news much at all recently so maybe that's why it doesn't come as a surprise to me.

ANOTHER MINORITY GOVERNMENT! LOW VOTER TURNOUT! I expected better Canadians XD Due to the Global economic crisis...:(

Though in contrast the US elections are expected to have record-breaking turnout due to the heavy campaigning and appeal of both Candidates.

And yeah the Canadian Parliament is ttly hip and hapinin' ROTFL :P :P :P

TRIFORCE89
October 15th, 2008, 10:02 AM
My point was...Ontario's Liberal government blames the Federal conservatives for the manufacturing problems - not themselves. Evidently, the people who hold those jobs don't think so.

There was a bunch of "hip" vote things going on. There was even a whole Anti-Harper movement on Facebook where people would guess at which non-Tory party would win a riding and then swap votes to ensure that their party wins (so like "I'll vote Liberal if you vote Green"). But apparently the appeal was only online. The green picked up zero seats.

What I've found from this record low turn-out is that those who complain the most don't vote and therefore should not complain.

A majority would've been nice but I'm not complaining. I think it worked rather well. A stronger majority, Liberal presence is down, and the Tories managed to break into a few ridings they didn't have before. I'm a happy camper. lol

Cherrim
October 15th, 2008, 10:16 AM
Ah. No, I've never really had a problem with the way Conservatives deal with that sector in the sense that... I've never noticed a real problem. I just remember that a LOT of plants closed down a few years ago while the Liberals were still around--that's when the plant my dad worked at closed down and he lost his job so haha I still hang on to that. :|

I didn't even realize there was any of this stuff until I actually took the initiative to go to the parties' websites and found links to it unintentionally. Of course, tons of youth don't bother even looknig things up in the first place. :[ Now that I've mentioned it, I seriously think the government and the individual parties need to start targetting more youth or something. Get everyone our age voting, or at least interested in it or else I think the voting percentage is only going to go down. <_<; It already amazes me that I know people who INTENTIONALLY don't vote but... yeah, I just don't get the low turnout. :[

Ever since I was a kid, I've maintained the idea that if you don't vote, you have NO right to complain. If you do vote, whine all you want. You voted Conservative yesterday and they screw up? You can whine about how they didn't keep their promises. You didn't vote Conservative? Whine about how everyone else screwed up with their vote. ;p But if you sat around and did nothing, it's your own fault and you should stfu. :(

TRIFORCE89
October 15th, 2008, 10:27 AM
Ah. No, I've never really had a problem with the way Conservatives deal with that sector in the sense that... I've never noticed a real problem. I just remember that a LOT of plants closed down a few years ago while the Liberals were still around--that's when the plant my dad worked at closed down and he lost his job so haha I still hang on to that. :|

I didn't even realize there was any of this stuff until I actually took the initiative to go to the parties' websites and found links to it unintentionally. Of course, tons of youth don't bother even looknig things up in the first place. :[ Now that I've mentioned it, I seriously think the government and the individual parties need to start targetting more youth or something. Get everyone our age voting, or at least interested in it or else I think the voting percentage is only going to go down. <_<; It already amazes me that I know people who INTENTIONALLY don't vote but... yeah, I just don't get the low turnout. :[

Ever since I was a kid, I've maintained the idea that if you don't vote, you have NO right to complain. If you do vote, whine all you want. You voted Conservative yesterday and they screw up? You can whine about how they didn't keep their promises. You didn't vote Conservative? Whine about how everyone else screwed up with their vote. ;p But if you sat around and did nothing, it's your own fault and you should stfu. :(
The States will probably have a big turnout this year and they only have two parties on the ballot (plus independent but that's not going to happen XD). We had five parties. You would think that between those five everyone who can vote would've found someone that appealed to them.

We haven't had this Conservative government too long and they came up after 12 years of Liberal control. And people like Ignatieff and Rae last night were saying things like "Sometimes life isn't fair" and "It's been too long since we've won". What the heck? They're still the lead opposition, what's the big deal? Layton should feel bad. He picked up more seats than last time through out the country, but one party from one Provence managed to boot him down to fourth place. @_@

Cherrim
October 15th, 2008, 10:49 AM
idk, no one in this election really appealed to me. I dislike Harper. I dislike Dion even more. (Ahaha, that's not even getting into either party.) Then... me? Green party? Hahahahaha. And idk, NDP is just kinda there; I feel bad 'cause I find it so hard to take them all that seriously sometimes. xD; I'm sure they're all good leaders for their party but... no one really, really stands out. :| I think part of the reason the US is going to get a better turnout is not only have candidates been shoved in their faces for like a year now, but each candidate has solid ideals they stand for. You're on their side or against. Here it's all in the details and few people like bothering to look those up. 8/ The more parties you have, the more research you (should) have to do in order to form your opinion.

Haha, really? Liberals are whining already? I can't say I'm too surprised but that's just sad. XD And baaw, I do feel bad for Layton. :[ One province beat him out all over the country; I bet it sucks to be him today.

TRIFORCE89
October 15th, 2008, 02:00 PM
I have no intention of asking you who you voted for. You know my pick because I'm vocal on where I lean politically, I have no qualms making that public. But your vote is your business. But dang you've made me curious since it looks like you like no one. XD

*still doesn't want to know*

Netto Azure
October 16th, 2008, 12:53 PM
Hmm...well after $300 million spent, another snap election has passed, and things are back to square one...Thoughts on the parties....

Conservatives: A stronger minority, I'm content with that...Now do things with a little bit more flexibility...But they are still hindered by the fact that concessions are needed to move forward with laws in the HOC. I'm just worried on how 4 parties are going to work together during this global economic crisis.
Liberals: Wow...Losing 10 seats, that's bad, if they truly want to be the Official Opposition party they need to either get their act together or form a "left" alliance with the NDP. Kinda like what the Conservative Party did (Canadian Alliance & Progressive-Conservatives) I don't think Stephen Dion would still be there in May.
NDP: Hmm...7 seats+ =D But as I said they should think about a coalition with the Liberals...
Bloc du Quebec: Wow...A Single Province Secessionist party keeps both parties from becoming a Majority...Wow....Just...Wow...
Green: The "marijuana" party got no new seats XP but...yeah....

TRIFORCE89
October 16th, 2008, 05:30 PM
People from all parties often don't vote along side their own party. I don't think it will be that difficult to convince 12 other people to vote with the Conservatives are on a few things.

I hardly think not being in power for two and half years is reason to merge the two parties together. First time they lost because they were coming out of a huge scandal. The second time was because of they chose a goofy leader (he's a very bright man, but he's not the most likeable person in the world). The two conservative parties merged after TWELVE YEARS of losing because they were splitting the "right" vote.

I can see the greens and the NDP merging because they're both left. But, the Liberals define themselves as centre, so I can't see them merging with a left party.

Netto Azure
October 16th, 2008, 06:28 PM
People from all parties often don't vote along side their own party. I don't think it will be that difficult to convince 12 other people to vote with the Conservatives are on a few things.

I hardly think not being in power for two and half years is reason to merge the two parties together. First time they lost because they were coming out of a huge scandal. The second time was because of they chose a goofy leader (he's a very bright man, but he's not the most likeable person in the world). The two conservative parties merged after TWELVE YEARS of losing because they were splitting the "right" vote.

I can see the greens and the NDP merging because they're both left. But, the Liberals define themselves as centre, so I can't see them merging with a left party.

You cleared up some things for me, thank you...But the Liberals are center? =O That's a big surprise for me...So does that mean that Republicans are Right-Center? Because the way the Republican's use the name "Liberal" has a "bad" connotation of someone being on the left. I mean you've seen how they say that "Obama is the most Liberal Senator on the US Senate." Differences in Canadian and American Politics...(Wow they were right, America IS a Center-Right Country)

TRIFORCE89
October 16th, 2008, 07:10 PM
You cleared up some things for me, thank you...But the Liberals are center? =O That's a big surprise for me...So does that mean that Republicans are Right-Center? Because the way the Republican's use the name "Liberal" has a "bad" connotation of someone being on the left. I mean you've seen how they say that "Obama is the most Liberal Senator on the US Senate." Differences in Canadian and American Politics...(Wow they were right, America IS a Center-Right Country)
That's....hard to label. XD You sorta have to ballpark it. I would try to tackle it like this:

Green Party = Left; their official stance is that they're nothing. XD And that they'll adapt to what's needed at the present time. But right now (and for ages) they've been Left. They practise Green politics surprisngly enough. lol
New Democratic Party = Centre-Left. They practise Democratic Socialism
Liberal Party = Centre. They practise Social Liberalism.
Progressive Conservative Party = Centre-Right; I'm mentioning this because I live in Ontario and we still have this party at the Provincial level. I fall here. They practise Liberal Conservatism.
Conservative Party = ...somewhere between Centre-Right and Right since it is a merger of the Federal PC Party (Centre-Right) and the Canadian Alliance (Right) and they had to make a compromise and as such they currently practise Liberal Conservatism. Harper was part of the Canadian Alliance.

And then there's the Bloc Québécois. I have no idea where they fall on the spectrum. Uhh...the French end? XD They pretty much just go for Québec Sovereignty.

That's that for the major parties. We have some fringe parties out there that would fall closer to things like Far Left and Far Right, but none of the major ones really go that route.

I would say that the Democratic Party would be most similar the Liberals because they practise Social Liberalism and that the Republican Party would be most similar to what the Canadian Alliance was as they practise Social Conservatism (which is a Canadian Alliance thing, not a PC thing, nor an aspect of the merged party).

It's tough to make a comparison. In general, even with the Conservatives, I would say that Canada falls more to the Left than America does and is more Social than America is. Canada is Social Democracy (somewhat). The States...not so much. The degree of rightism and leftism for each party varies on the leader of the party at the time. But the above is how I would try to label it.

Netto Azure
October 20th, 2008, 05:30 PM
Oh thank you again....The Bloc Quebecois really does keep either major party from gaining an easy majority...I understand the English-French rivalries but the political paralysis that results I don't understand...Seriously tell me how can Quebec alone fight the Economic Crisis without the rest of Canada? :D

TRIFORCE89
October 20th, 2008, 07:11 PM
I haven't figured that out yet. I don't think they have either. XD If the Bloc were to win a federal election somehow, then Quebec separates and...I'm not sure what happens to the rest of us.

Netto Azure
October 21st, 2008, 06:44 AM
I haven't figured that out yet. I don't think they have either. XD If the Bloc were to win a federal election somehow, then Quebec separates and...I'm not sure what happens to the rest of us.

And you guys think that an NAU is scary. >_> But actual seperation...Just something to think about. I've been wondering about that for a while now...What form of government would Quebec form? How will it cope with international disasters? etc...:( Seriously be practical. Quebec already has quite the autonomy.

TRIFORCE89
October 21st, 2008, 09:09 AM
XD Don't tell me. I didn't vote for them.

Cherrim
October 22nd, 2008, 06:57 AM
You couldn't have even if you wanted to. XD;

Does anyone from BQ even run outside of Quebec?

TRIFORCE89
October 22nd, 2008, 07:15 AM
I dunno. Maybe in certain ridings closer to Quebec.

Cherrim
October 22nd, 2008, 07:20 AM
I'm thinking there's probably one in Ottawa but aside from there, even in the French speaking parts of New Brunswick I don't think they run. o_O;