PDA

View Full Version : South Texas People! Ah, look its Ike!

Kime-Ko
September 11th, 2008, 09:42 AM
Ok, so if you live in south Texas I do (my county is under a mandatory evacuation) then you know what’s happening.
But for all you peeps who don’t live in the south you most likely don’t know.
Ok, so hurricane Ike is going to hit Saturday morning as a cat. 3 or possibly a cat. 4 hurricane.
So at the moment there are like a big mandatory evacuation for south east Texas! Hurricane Ike is a cat 2 at the moment but it is supposed to get to a strong 3, maybe a 4.
My city is the only city in my county that’s not under a mandatory evacuation. (My city officials are retards!)
But I just wanted to tell yal peeps that, and that all south east Texas is in your prayers.
Thankies!

Saltare.
September 11th, 2008, 10:10 AM
They say Ike could be really bad. They also say it could be a category 4-5 by the time it hits cause it is in the Gulf right now where all the warm water is. I was gonna get hit with Ike (North Caroline) But it turned, so Im in the clear. I highly recomend you get outta there ASAP!

Zorua
September 11th, 2008, 10:16 AM
I was also in it's path(Florida) but it steered just a bit to avoid completely hitting it, so I'm all good. My advice is to just be as prepared as possible. Nothing is worse than losing valuable things to a hurricane.

Avey
September 11th, 2008, 10:27 AM
Damn. I've never been in a hurricane but they sound awful. Evacuation should be compulsory, at least for the people living in the areas that will receive the most damage, in my opinion.

Good luck, South Texas.

Zorua
September 11th, 2008, 10:48 AM
Damn. I've never been in a hurricane but they sound awful. Evacuation should be compulsory, at least for the people living in the areas that will receive the most damage, in my opinion.

Good luck, South Texas.

Being in a state that gets hit by craploads of hurricanes, I can tell you that they are awful. I mean look at what Katrina did to New Orleans. It completely wiped out the entire city. :|

But strong winds are cool in a way, since it's usually hot around here.

Saltare.
September 11th, 2008, 12:05 PM
I just checked a tracking thing and they said Ike might head for me!!! nooo Im not ready to die if it becomes category 4!

Gumball Watterson
September 11th, 2008, 02:32 PM
pokefan, that thing is heading for Houston/Galveston, It'll probably hit NC as a Depression.
I live in Rio Grande/ Deep South Texas, so I'm now safe. Yeah I'll get some rain and wind but I'll feel very VERY sorry for the Schlitterbahn fans...

Melodyfree
September 11th, 2008, 02:39 PM
Living in New York where tropical anythings are myths (Hanna was a fail and doesn't count), I can't say I have any experience dealing with hurricanes. So I'll just say luck be with you, and make sure you're prepared. Keep your valuables with you too.

Zorua
September 11th, 2008, 02:41 PM
I just checked a tracking thing and they said Ike might head for me!!! nooo Im not ready to die if it becomes category 4!

Nah, don't let it get to you. You won't die or anything. ^^ Catagory 4 is powerful, but once people become overly worried about something, and when it happens, it's like...nothing ever happened or something. o_o

What I'm trying to say is that things are never as BAD as said.

Kagome
September 11th, 2008, 03:24 PM
ike is comeing my way i live in san antonio which i got no idea if its going to hit me i know its goingto to hit houston and im close to that please i dont wanna get hit

Neko64
September 11th, 2008, 03:30 PM
Ah jeez, I really hope it isn't anywhere near where my childhood friend lives. In fact, I'm not even stil sure she even LIVES in Texas now. All I know is that she moved there when I was very young. I pray the hurricane is not going to hit in the area of Texas where she might be living. x<

-Neko

Tater Tot
September 11th, 2008, 04:17 PM

No it's not. o_o; It's headed for Texas, there's no way it can hit you and Texas at the same time. XD

Rekkuza
September 11th, 2008, 05:34 PM
i live right on the border of a county under mandatory evac. IKE IS NOT NICE

the bitter end.
September 11th, 2008, 05:37 PM
All right I'll make sure to include you =D.

Any who luckily i live in a different part of Texas so I probably won't be affected.

Klippy
September 11th, 2008, 05:40 PM
My family lives in Houston, so I'm quite afraid for their safety. I just watched the predicted damage report of Ike and a bridge that we always go over when heading to Galveston will be completely submerged and most of Texas City will be flooded. Plus I'm hearing that Houston's metro area will be getting pummeled. ;;

the bitter end.
September 11th, 2008, 05:44 PM
My family lives in Houston, so I'm quite afraid for their safety. I just watched the predicted damage report of Ike and a bridge that we always go over when heading to Galveston will be completely submerged and most of Texas City will be flooded. Plus I'm hearing that Houston's metro area will be getting pummeled. ;;

Ah, thats too bad, for some reason whenever I think of Houston I only think of the Rockets, probably because I'm a huge basketball fan, I hope your family is okay though.

Rekkuza
September 11th, 2008, 06:21 PM
I think my nieghbor hood is a little above sealevel but still.....

Infamous Amos
September 11th, 2008, 06:23 PM
Ok, so if you live in south Texas I do (my county is under a mandatory evacuation) then you know what’s happening.
But for all you peeps who don’t live in the south you most likely don’t know.
Ok, so hurricane Ike is going to hit Saturday morning as a cat. 3 or possibly a cat. 4 hurricane.
So at the moment there are like a big mandatory evacuation for south east Texas! Hurricane Ike is a cat 2 at the moment but it is supposed to get to a strong 3, maybe a 4.
My city is the only city in my county that’s not under a mandatory evacuation. (My city officials are retards!)
But I just wanted to tell yal peeps that, and that all south east Texas is in your prayers.
Thankies!

Oh, crap... I'm in south texas right now O_o;
Of all the days to visit Texas... I must have terrible luck.

Rekkuza
September 11th, 2008, 06:42 PM
Anyone evac. during Rita?

Shining Armour
September 11th, 2008, 06:54 PM
For future reference, Hurricanes should not be named after presidents, (see link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dwight_D._Eisenhower)).

I feel for those people. While I have never really dealt with a large natural disaster, I have seen the damage first hand (EF 4 tornado). A lot of people's thoughts and prayers are with you, including mine.

Lucy Lu
September 11th, 2008, 07:12 PM
I feel for everyone who lives in the Houston and Galveston area. I live in South Texas as well, but way down south. I live in Corpus Christi. You guys probably know where it is. Ike was about to hit there, but it moved up north. So we got lucky, very lucky...

Oh, wait it probably hit as a Cat 2 or 3. I don't think it will go any higher than that.

But still I just wish it went somewhere else other than Houston and Galveston, but what can we do. Hopefully it won't be too bad for them. They will be back on their feet in no time. They are in my prayers though.

Rekkuza
September 12th, 2008, 04:27 AM
Thank you i appriciate your prayers

Red1530
September 12th, 2008, 11:29 AM
Hurricane Ike is going to devastate the area. There is already a storm surge in parts of Texas and the storm is still twelve hours out! If the storm goes on its predicted path, the city of Huston is going to take a direct hit. In terms of size, this a huge one. Hurricane force winds extend 120 miles from the center of the storm and takes up about half of the Gulf of Mexico. Not only am I concerned for the people of the area, a good chuck of the United States oil refining capacity is near Huston.
http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p99/Red1530/IkePosition.gif

Volkner's Apprentice
September 12th, 2008, 11:49 AM
Living in New York where tropical anythings are myths (Hanna was a fail and doesn't count), I can't say I have any experience dealing with hurricanes. So I'll just say luck be with you, and make sure you're prepared. Keep your valuables with you too.

I have to say I'm in the same situation. Up here in New York nothing weather related ever happens (except mass winter power outages when we get heavy snow, but heavy snow is just obnoxious rather than dangerous...)

My prayers go out to those in the area, let's hope the hurricane dies down a bit.

Missingno Baby
September 12th, 2008, 01:00 PM
I live about 15 miles southwest of Houston, and I've been watching the news all day.

It doesn't matter what category this storm is, Galveston is going to get absolutely devastated. Some estimates put the wave heights at 30-35ft. Even if it's "only" a category 2, it'll still have catastrophic effects.

Apparently, in the area west of the Sea Wall, there was a bulletin released to people who were staying to "Please put some form of identification on you".

My family and I were in Hurricane Andrew in LA, but I don't remember it.

We're staying, but only because we're pretty far inland.

Saltare.
September 12th, 2008, 01:03 PM
They are closing all the gas stations now cuz of Ike because Texas has all the oil refineries ao im thinking either we're all gonna die...or we have to walk everywhere

Captain Blue
September 12th, 2008, 01:04 PM
I live near brownsville. I was scared I'd have to go through another dolly aftermath, where I had to carry four trees, in pieces, out of our yard. Not to mention the entire week without power and the only source of light being a flood lamp because my father was too lazy to remove the plywood. Oh well, at least he's not hitting me.

charizard_maa
September 12th, 2008, 04:59 PM
Wow. All this negative talk about how Houston and Galveston are going to be destory.

Yeah. Houston is going to be hit. Houston is going to suffer flooding and such. We are ready for it. We did the best we can and really things happen. In the end Houston will rise and live will go back.

So here I am listening to the radio and ready to ruff up the storm. According to the radio 105 people have lost power in the Galveston area. I think I am going to live my life as normal as I can until the power goes out. Meh. We weren't told to evaculate but I would have maybe prefer to have but really I think that is more annoying then this hurricane itself. Still this thing is being annoying after all.

EDIT: Radio reported that Galveston has lost power and Ike is a Catogory Two. It may be a Catogory Three when it hit landfall. Still rain is hitting Galveston but no rain here (where I live) so far.

wakachamo
September 12th, 2008, 05:12 PM
I'm almost sure it's going to hit Cat. 3 when its arms start reaching for Houston.

Saltare.
September 13th, 2008, 03:24 AM
right now Ike is BIG:

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/flt/t3/loop-vis.html

Lucy Lu
September 13th, 2008, 09:00 AM
Wow that hurricane really destroy a lot of places around the Houston and Galveston area. But it doesn't look too bad. Not to me.(Okay, it is really bad! There are a lot of mess all over the place. And there are places that are flooded.)

I hope everyone that got left behind are alright. I think a person had to be saved because he got caught in the current. He was just watching, and then the waves got him. He is alright though. I think there a few people who are standing on the roof though...

See if they listen the evacuation message...they wouldn't be in this mess. But I know it can be expensive and tiring to evacuate...but your life is more important.

But someone in Corpus Christi didn't get out so lucky. He was watching the waves and got caught. He hit his head on the rocks. And the waves were carrying him. I think he is a goner. Even though the hurricane didn't hit us, we were still getting the high winds and high waves around the beaches. You have to be careful!

And the oil rigs that got affected. Well I am prepared of seeing high gas prices now. Back to $4 a gallon again. *sigh* Oh well.

This was a very big hurricane! I don't know why we didn't get anything from it last night...

Paolo_MaSter
September 13th, 2008, 05:30 PM
that hurricane should be in texas rigth now, i think everyone evacuated from there.... <lol>

Mr. Downstairs
September 13th, 2008, 05:40 PM
They are closing all the gas stations now cuz of Ike because Texas has all the oil refineries ao im thinking either we're all gonna die...or we have to walk everywhere

omi. *facepalm* Not really. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_oil_refineries#United_States) Why would all the gas stations be closed if Texas was the one with all the oil refineries anyway? Your logic makes me wonder.

that hurricane should be in texas rigth now, i think everyone evacuated from there.... <lol>

"That hurricane" is leaving Texas right now. I think you should watch the news more if you think everyone evacuated from there or something, because that's certainly not the case..... <lol>?

Gunn
September 13th, 2008, 05:52 PM
News says that Ike has weakened to a tropical storm after hitting Texas and four are dead. Sorry to hear about what's happening and what some had to go through. I've never been in a hurricane situation before so I would probably would just panic because I wouldn't know what to do. I mean, here in Southern CA, we just get earthquakes ... and heat advisories, dur hurrr.

Aurafire
September 13th, 2008, 07:56 PM
I haven't really been checking in much....I hope there wasn't too much damage. Anyone know what category it was when it hit?

Lucy Lu
September 13th, 2008, 08:35 PM
It was a Cat 2 when it was hit. But it looked like it was a Cat 3. Because there is a debris everywhere. Trees and wood all over the place. Roofs have been torn out off buildings...it is a pretty bad over there. And some of residents don't have power at this point.

Shining Armour
September 13th, 2008, 08:54 PM
It was a Cat 2 when it was hit. But it looked like it was a Cat 3. Because there is a debris everywhere. Trees and wood all over the place. Roofs have been torn out off buildings...it is a pretty bad over there. And some of residents don't have power at this point.

What do you mean some? There are 2.5 million people with out power tonight. It is the largest power outage in American history. (The Weather Channel)

Lucy Lu
September 13th, 2008, 08:56 PM
Whoa, are you serious?! Dang, I didn't think it was that many! Yeah I stopped watching The Weather Channel around 5pm, so I didn't get to hear that. That is terrible! I hope they will get the power back soon.

ErickaVolt
September 13th, 2008, 10:53 PM
I heard it from the news this morning. Ike is as huge as Texas!

Red1530
September 14th, 2008, 02:40 PM
Living in New York where tropical anythings are myths (Hanna was a fail and doesn't count), I can't say I have any experience dealing with hurricanes. So I'll just say luck be with you, and make sure you're prepared. Keep your valuables with you too.I hate to be the bearer of bad news but New York is definitely vulnerable to a hurricane strike. New York City for example, ranks number of three in terms of vulnerability behind Miami and New Orleans. Seventy years ago this month a Category Three hurricane nicknamed The Long Island Express (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_England_Hurricane_of_1938) slammed into Long Island and Southern New England.

Kime-Ko
September 17th, 2008, 12:48 PM
Blah!
Ike was terrible!
Me and my family were so scaired!
We got at least 2 twisters on our land.
Our farm is messed up realy bed but weve had power since the day after it.
It's because we have a farm with food so we were the first ones in our city back on.
We have a lot of damage to our store but were fine!

Unforgettable
September 17th, 2008, 07:03 PM
Ike brought storms and high winds here. like winds from 40-50 mph...I live in Kentucky, we're not too used to that unless it's a tornado. XD
But also, it messed business up and everything. it was pretty intense.

Lucy Lu
September 17th, 2008, 07:22 PM
Wow! Oh yeah it was a tropical storm around the other parts of the US. Like Oklahoma, Kentucky, Tennessee, Missouri, etc...they had high winds and the rain. I hope you guys didn't have any tornadoes...

Ike was a very big hurricane and storm. I am glad it is out of our hair. Now everyone can get back to their normal lives. But it might takes days or months for Houston and Galveston to get back what they used to be.

Kime-Ko
September 19th, 2008, 12:49 PM
Wow! Oh yeah it was a tropical storm around the other parts of the US. Like Oklahoma, Kentucky, Tennessee, Missouri, etc...they had high winds and the rain. I hope you guys didn't have any tornadoes...

Ike was a very big hurricane and storm. I am glad it is out of our hair. Now everyone can get back to their normal lives. But it might takes days or months for Houston and Galveston to get back what they used to be.

Yeppers. (I live in-between Galveston and Houston)
We havent had school for a long time.
Loadsof businesses
Most of the schools are damaged.
At the high school we lost our vocational building.
It stinks...
We go to school Thursday if they dont change the date again.
XD