PDA

View Full Version : T.V. Advertisements

ErickaVolt
September 14th, 2008, 06:19 AM
Well, don't find TV advertisements annoying and time consuming?

wakachamo
September 14th, 2008, 07:01 AM
Only if you're stupid enough to sit there and watch them all. :<

Cassino
September 14th, 2008, 07:09 AM
They are... I don't watch TV much though so it doesn't really concern me.
I don't know but I think it's possible to request a service where there are no adverts.

fer
September 14th, 2008, 07:13 AM
They are... I don't watch TV much though so it doesn't really concern me.
I don't know but I think it's possible to request a service where there are no adverts.That would be great commercials and advertisements are so annoying

Suki
September 14th, 2008, 07:15 AM
I switch channel 99% of the time when the adverts come on, and then switch back when they're over. I find adverts sooo repetitive, and so boring. There are a few entertaining ones though, like the Apple adverts ;D

Chibi-chan
September 14th, 2008, 07:23 AM
Well, if it wasn't for the advertising, there'd be no sponsors to help pay for the TV channel itself! The channel has to get money from somewhere, and that's through advertisements. Some really really wealthy TV channels, such as the Disney Channel and HBO don't need advertisements outside of their own commercials used to promote their own shows.

THIRTY-SIX
September 14th, 2008, 07:27 AM
I was gonna say the first part of what chibi-chan said.
It doesn't bother me because I don't use the tv for tv viewing… xD
Also now I have sky + so I record the tv shows and fast forward the ads.

kohei
September 14th, 2008, 08:27 AM
Being a media studies student of the past, I love to dissect advertisements.
Most of them are boring to watch, however. Anyway I don't watch a lot of TV anymore, so it's not much of a big problem.

However, I feel sad that I've been conditioned to turn my head to the TV regardless of what I'm doing whenever I hear the "jon" sound for Playstation adverts, and the "ex" sound for Xbox ads.

Lusankya
September 14th, 2008, 08:50 AM
Some are stupid and annoying (especially the ones with that one bearded guy who always yells... you know, he does the Kaboom commercials), but there are some really funny ones that I enjoy watching.

popsicles.
September 14th, 2008, 08:55 AM
Every time a commercial pops up, I just change the channel. :B
It annoys my Dad though, but it annoys me more to see 'Vanish' every five seconds,
to look at yet another useless household item or a new cereal that they invented .___.

Jorah
September 14th, 2008, 12:24 PM
At least the BBC has no adverts haha. I've heard in the US that programmes like Pokemon can have 2 or 3 breaks o.O It only has 1 break here in the UK

Cherrim
September 14th, 2008, 12:33 PM
Nowadays, I'm always doing something else at the same time while I watch TV. So come commercials, I turn back to the other thing (which is usually my laptop) and once the show is back on, I watch again. I do sometimes like watching commercials, though. Some can be pretty funny.

But yeah, they're definitely a necessary "evil" so I don't complain about them at all.

Zorua
September 14th, 2008, 12:39 PM
I get really PO'ed when it's during movies that are interesting. Dang commercials/advertisements.

Though infomercials can sometimes be amusing.

Saltare.
September 14th, 2008, 01:01 PM
ugh I hate TV ads. None of that stuff even works. So when the ads are on, I leave my Wii on just in case

Mr. Epic
September 14th, 2008, 01:58 PM
Nowadays, I'm always doing something else at the same time while I watch TV. So come commercials, I turn back to the other thing (which is usually my laptop) and once the show is back on, I watch again. I do sometimes like watching commercials, though. Some can be pretty funny.
This but not using a laptop and I dont really watch TV anymore, ads can be funny sometimes but some are really crap that bothers me. This is not really a topic to discuss much about.

Wulf
September 14th, 2008, 01:59 PM
Head On, deply directly to the forhead. Head On, deply directly to the forhead. Head On, deply directly to the forhead. Head On, deply directly to the forhead.

Yeah, when we have commericails like thoses and "male enhancement" ones, something's wrong.

Azonic
September 14th, 2008, 02:04 PM
I'd get something to munch on. Or go to the bathroom... because for some reason I always have a full bladder while watching TV. xD;

Usually I just change the channel. There's like, a lot of channels out there, so just flip to a different one. .__.;

And then if it's an interesting commercial, I won't flip the channel at all. And then when that commercial ends, I'll just keep watching the next commercial very, very, very blankly.

But usually I'd flip the channel, because commercials are never interesting unless they are about swimsuit models. *shot*

Confuse
September 14th, 2008, 07:14 PM
They tick me off.

I also feel like I've seen every commerical 10 times, when I don't watch that much T.V.

Gymnotide
September 14th, 2008, 07:47 PM
There are some really interesting ones which I enjoy watching.
After a while, some get boring, some don't.

You know... Like the freecreditreport.com ads.
Or the commercial for "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia."

Mario The World Champion
September 14th, 2008, 08:00 PM
For me, when commercials come on, that's when I go get something to drink. Either that or change the channel. But I have watched a lot of stupid commercials.

Someone mentioned those freecreditreport.com commercials. I'd like to break that guy's guitar over his head.

However, I do like some certain comercials. Volkswagen had some commercials starring this 1964 VW Bettle named Max who interviewed major celebrities. The Bob Knight one was funny.

But, that's just me.

Gymnotide
September 14th, 2008, 08:04 PM
Home gym commercials are always fun to watch lololol.
And why would you want to do that, Mario the World Champion? They are witty and catchy.

Snivi
September 14th, 2008, 08:17 PM
I have a DVR so I can fast forward them.

Crystal Clair
September 14th, 2008, 09:56 PM
You know what's worse than the general concept of an annoying commercial? When you're watching a touching movie (I was watching Cast Away) on a channel like TBS, you'll really get into the drama of the movie and the emotion when BAM lol ur watchin TBS very funny lol look at theze comerzials that havv tlking elefants in dem lol. A mood destroyed...
if TBS is supposed to be so funny, then why do they put dramatic movies on it?

Ever since this one period in my life, I realize that subliminal messages can't affect me and instead I just get annoyed by them trying to tell me what's good and what I need because they don't know who I am and they never will understand who I am.
I also hated when I was watching Pokemon and those annoying childish commercials would come on. The only channel I felt that I was being catered to was when watching anime like Inuyasha on Adult Swim. I miss watching AS sometimes.

Poke Trainer Gary
September 15th, 2008, 01:54 AM
Crystal Clair, almost same with me. More than 5 advertisements would there in at least 1 episode. So its very boring, but advertisements nowadays are funny and entertaining. Anyway, I don't like 'em.

kohei
September 15th, 2008, 01:59 AM
I'm much more annoyed when watching midnight anime here in Japan.

Happily watching Nogizaki Haruka's Secret.

Advert tiem.

"FFFFFFFFFFF Louise Françoise de la Bamue le Blanc de la Vallière, get off my screen. NOW."

I know Zero no Tsukaima sells well, but Louise has grown to annoy me greatly.

Guillermo
September 15th, 2008, 02:00 AM
I watch FOX8 so I just skip through the recordings.

Dusclord
September 15th, 2008, 06:58 AM
They said all the advertissement on the french public channel will be deleted after 8 hours PM, but it's not a so good thing 'cause they will loose a lot of money :\

Neko
September 15th, 2008, 12:03 PM
Well I don't really watch tv that much anymore, so it doesn't really matter to me... ^^" Some are really annoying, but some are kind of funny too, so meh. I don't really care. It does get annoying though, the few rare times I am watching tv and they come on. *sigh*

-Neko

Voltagenic
September 15th, 2008, 12:20 PM
I have one thing to say.

IT'S A DEAD ZONE.

World King
September 15th, 2008, 01:23 PM
Meh, advertisements aren't that annoying. Well, I just switch channels most of the time when I see them...

Otter Mii-kun
September 15th, 2008, 07:48 PM
In the past few years, with programming costs supposedly "going through the roof" and especially with the transition with Digital Television, advertising on broadcast TV has risen considerably. (not to mention the quality of first-run programming in decline-especially on over-the-air broadcast networks)

There are plenty of TV (and radio) ads that I find annoying, including the following:

Target's "Good Buy, Hello!"
All of these so-called "technical institutes" (such as IADT, ITT, Everest-yah we know we all need to "call now" and "train now!) (The Everest ads, in particular, are all over the UHF dial, especially the "Big Two" Detroit UHFs-WXON (actually WMYD) and WKBD)

All of these prescription drug ads (drives me nuts how they depict people in these commercials as so "happy-go-lucky" while mentioning (they have to) "rare, but serious side effects"-is it any wonder that no other country in the world other than the US and NZ allows these kind of ads on TV?)

CASH4GOLD.com : How can they give money the very next day after you send your jewelery through the mail?

Kinoki Foot Pads : Didn't 20/20's John Stossel debunk the claims backing these several months ago? Second, "FDA REGISTERED" yah right!

Cambridge Credit Counseling (especially the one with the number on screen jumping from $21,000-something to more than $27K as the man stands and explains how much you can pay on an $11,000 credit card balance)

"Over The Limit, Under Arrest" : (they're "cracking down like never before" every year)

SMCandYou (as well as 2StartWithSMC and EarnWithSMC, and the like)

"Dead Serious" : Just how will a ban on incandescents and requiring us to fill our homes with mercury stop global warming?

The "Call 24 Hours 7 Days - This is a Consumer Alert" medical law firm spot (apparently from Texas) with such a annoying background of waves bouncing and that kind of stuff-about recalled Medtronic defibrillator leads and the suspension of Trasylol.

FORMAN MILLS! (really annoying announcer shouts the business's name in these commercials-runs on TV stations in Metro Detroit)

All of those Metro Detroit hospital ads (Beaumont, Bostford, Henry Ford, etc.)

the bitter end.
September 17th, 2008, 04:54 PM
Indeed, but we wouldn't have a lot of the good TV shows out there without them, so I guess I just tolerate them...

Kenshin5
September 17th, 2008, 05:48 PM
TV commericals are put of TV I have much some much its just like an auto tune out so I really dont mind commericals the TV stations got to make the money some how.As for movies getting intense and your at a climax just rent them or by them on DVD.I admit some commericals are stupid oh well when I see them I just change the channel go to the bath room or get a drink so it really doesnt bother me.

Saryka
September 17th, 2008, 05:50 PM
I find most commercials entertaining, actually. XD; For the most part, though, the commercials are when I get up and go get things before my show comes back on. I know it sounds terribly lazy, but I really don't want to miss my show when I'm watching it. XD;

When I don't have to get things, though, I usually sit through the commercials. I find them amusing for some reason. XD;

True Justice
September 17th, 2008, 05:59 PM
I wish I had DVR. The commercials definately eat up time. But it really varies on how I respond to a commercial. It depends on the location of the remote though XD and the commercial itself. But if it weren't for commercials, I probably wouldn't be as updated about upcoming games (ex. Rock Band 2 has wierd commercials that interrupt the show for a split second telling you the date it comes out). But some also pick their target audience very poorly. Like car dealerships advertising on Cartoon Network or Nickelodeon. So commericals can be beneficial as well as very useless.

Lucy Lu
September 17th, 2008, 07:28 PM
I really don't mind commercials anymore because I have a DVR. I can fast forward through them. And I can do something else like get a snack, make a phone call, or check something online while they are on. Besides some commercials are pretty good. Especially the ones about information about college, your job, or cool gadgets. XD Or a new food item they have. But anyway, how will the cable company or anyone will get paid? How will they pay their sponsors? Yep with commercials.

Someone mentioned those freecreditreport.com commercials. I'd like to break that guy's guitar over his head.

ROTFL! Yeah those commercials can be pretty annoying. We know that your identity was stolen dude, you don't need to sing about it.

Otter Mii-kun
September 18th, 2008, 07:45 AM
Yeah those commercials can be pretty annoying. We know that your identity was stolen dude, you don't need to sing about it. Speaking of identity theft-how about LifeLock- with a big truck driving around disclosing a REAL social security number-that of CEO Todd Davis!

LifeLock actually got sued for false advertising and fraud months ago-stemming from the ad described above.

burningfoot
September 19th, 2008, 02:32 AM
I'm absolutely fed up of adverts because I always sit through them and have to watch them because I can't be bothered to look away from the TV or change the channel. Plus I'm paranoid that I'll miss a bit of my program if I flick channels. I do like some adverts though, adverts for films I want to see 'cause they're hilarious (I only ever want to see comedies), I like adverts for other programns because they're usually cool, they tell me when stuff I want to watch is on and it usually tells me that my program is finally about to resume. So don't badmouth all ads. The ones I really hate though are Car Insurance, Car Insurance comparison websites, car insurance comparison website comparison websites (trust me, they're coming!) and personal injury claim thingies. They are pointless, irrelevent and don't apply to me! Though I understand why they're on during Top Gear.

Jubilation
September 19th, 2008, 02:34 AM
They're boring, and most use a female to sell it, really people, come on

.inLOVE
September 19th, 2008, 12:41 PM
I always change it to a different show when one is on this get pissed off when I get into it and miss part of the show ^_^

ErickaVolt
September 20th, 2008, 04:32 AM
Well, there are also advertisements that are pretty funny and amusing.

Lucy Lu
September 20th, 2008, 10:28 AM
Speaking of identity theft-how about LifeLock- with a big truck driving around disclosing a REAL social security number-that of CEO Todd Davis!

LifeLock actually got sued for false advertising and fraud months ago-stemming from the ad described above.

Man, that was a great commercial. I was thinking about using LifeLock in the future if my identity got stolen. Looks like I won't be using them then. Wow, that is insane. So they got sued. That is messed up.

EDIT: I been wondering why I haven't seen that commercial in a long while now. Now I know...

Yeah got to be careful with those type of commercials. But some commercials if that of identity theft need to be serious not like freecreditreport.com.

Dogboy2709
September 25th, 2008, 03:34 PM
Now, I find TV commercials as annoying as the next person, but they necessary.

Last year, in my school, i had a course called MASS MEDIA it was only a half a year course, but I actually learned something cool, which I'm going to share with you guys.

One of the topics we covered in that class was ADVERTISING

Advertising is the source of life for ALL OTHER MASS MEDIA not just TV, if Adverts just disappeared, websites would be shutting down, and there would be nothing but static on the TV and Radio.

Also, another thing I learned that Adverts have already got to you when you were little! (5-10)
How you ask?

Well, when you saw the adverts for fast food restaurants, such as Macdonald's and Burger king, and saw the "free toy with happy/kid meal" ad, you ran up to your mom (or dad) and ask them to take you to the fast food joint. You take a bit of there cheeseburgers, and BAM! hooked on them, (Kid Crack as my Mass Media teacher called it[note to mods: If you don't think this part is apporite, just PM me and tell me, and i'll remove it] ) and the fast food joint thinks they have a new customer.

So, Basically, what I'm saying here is that Adverts are needed, and fallen for there tricks when you where younger.

Buono!
September 29th, 2008, 04:34 AM
Only the availablecar.com advert. Jeeesus, somebody
shoot that short woman. -facepalm-

Trap-Eds
September 29th, 2008, 08:16 AM
Advertisements. They're most annoying when you're watching something awesome and then BOOM, and ad comes on. Not so bad if the channel has bumpers, then you know the commercial's coming.
I read in Reader's Digest that there are three reasons why commercials are louder than the show itself: because they can be, advertisers like it loud, and because it surprises you and you'll pay attention. :tired:

Geico. I HAAAAAATE those commercials. And Verison's "Dead Zones" is turning into the new Geico.

Sweet Speed
September 29th, 2008, 08:25 AM
They get really annoying when they're showing a movie and they put on an advert foru times for the hour. uggggh!

GreenStorm
September 29th, 2008, 02:25 PM
Some are very entertaining but sometimes when I'm watching some really good and the ads come on, I get annoyed. Then again, sometimes I like to watch all of them.

EvaXephon
October 2nd, 2008, 04:12 AM
I don't watch TV anymore...I haven't watched TV in around 6 years.

I'm all for DVDs and video games. Rewinding / fast-forwarding / pausing for the win, as well as interaction and participation. I don't really like just sitting there and passively watching anything...

...as for advertisements, they all just sink into the background now. Whether it's on a computer monitor or TV screen, commercials and advertisements are just dead, empty space to me now.