PDA

View Full Version : Do you think changing usernames changes your perception of someone?

.emerald
September 17th, 2008, 07:18 AM
Were all human aren't we? It's natural to hate someone. I myself have someone to want to hate here...
Anyway, while I was editing my something, someone criticized my thread. He seemed friendly because he help on the stuff I was doing. I checked out his profile & wanted to thank him. I saw his old username & I was shocked. This was the person from a few weeks ago whom I was soooo mad about what he did!!I shall not mention his name

So, usernames do really change your appearance but not your attitude.
Any comments about this?

Cherrim
September 17th, 2008, 07:23 AM
I certainly think so. If someone changes their name from something like "pkmnmastr234589" to... I don't know, anything else, usually, then my perception of them rises. XD Sometimes I see a good post that looks interesting and I go to look at the profile of the poster and find it's someone I thought was a total noob just a little while back. @_@; It's hard not to be prejudiced to people over things like usernames and I just can't help it. A good username can go a long way.

.emerald
September 17th, 2008, 07:32 AM
It happened to me a while ago...

devilicious
September 17th, 2008, 07:36 AM
Definately.

Avaliating someone's username is also a good way to get a glimpse of that person's personality.

wobbadude1
September 17th, 2008, 07:42 AM
I think it depends more on their "About me" section in their profile! Though the user name introduces you to them...so it may have some influence!

Mooshykris
September 17th, 2008, 07:45 AM
I personally believe that in some respects, the username defines the person. I myself on another forum have used 3 different usernames over the years, and even for me, I felt like I was a different personality in some respects.

Mooshykris

Volkner's Apprentice
September 17th, 2008, 07:46 AM
That's definitely a good point. The countless pokemstr's around here are certainly considered the...er..yeah, noobs of the bunch. It's difficult to see them as much higher than that, especially when they're the type to spam threads, ask terrible/obvious questions, or talk in some type of extremely unreadable code..."Cn sum1 bttle meh plz?" O_o...? Have you HEARD of vowels!?

But yeah, a simple username, something funny or intellectually witty or heck even something Pokemon related that actually makes sense/is unique and qualifies for me as a decent member. Problem is, most of the name changes around here I see make it something more complicated or something to not relate to. EX) ADD Pikachu became MATTFO0...weird. Xairmo became Akasuna No Sasori. Complicated >.<

The username definitely defines the person, in a sense. Like Alakazam17! That's a common and popular Pokemon and probably a common username (haven't checked those nooby-unactive members on the list but..) so people just call him Bill, and when new users refer to him as Alakazam it's considered a kind of respectful thing. I dunno that might sound weird but it makes sense to me. ^_^''

Aurafire
September 17th, 2008, 07:50 AM
That's definitely a good point. The countless pokemstr's around here are certainly considered the...er..yeah, noobs of the bunch. It's difficult to see them as much higher than that, especially when they're the type to spam threads, ask terrible/obvious questions, or talk in some type of extremely unreadable code..."Cn sum1 bttle meh plz?" O_o...? Have you HEARD of vowels!?

But yeah, a simple username, something funny or intellectually witty or heck even something Pokemon related that actually makes sense/is unique and qualifies for me as a decent member. Problem is, most of the name changes around here I see make it something more complicated or something to not relate to. EX) ADD Pikachu became MATTFO0...weird. Xairmo became Akasuna No Sasori. Complicated >.<

And then changed back to Xairmo XD

I think usernames can go a long way...I mean, just the generic "poke(something)1234" is boring. Now Aurasphere....there's an interesting username =P

Cassino
September 17th, 2008, 08:17 AM
Generally speaking, a gramatically correct name with proper capitalisation and without erroneous use of diacritical marks (i.e. úsérnámé), grammatical marks (i.e. ~*~username~*~) and foreign characters (i.e. цseяиame) indicates the... upper class of PC, if you like. xD

A change of a username only has effect until people realise it's you.

Memory
September 17th, 2008, 08:33 AM
I suppose it depends on the name.

If Caerus changed his name to pRiNceSS_pUmPkun98!!!~*

I'd eat him. And I'm vegan.

Definitely depends on the name change. If it's someone I don't know... I dunno, i might say "what an ugly name change" to myself or something, but that's all. XD

If it's staff, and they use "~*`" or random numbers or whatever... yeah, a little bit. XD

wakachamo
September 17th, 2008, 08:45 AM
IMO, like Mooshykris, a username defines a person.

That's why I've always sticked to one username. I've always felt that it fit me. If I was called something else, I'm almost sure it'd feel weird to both me and my friends.

And yes, I judge people by their usernames. I'm human. Humans judge.

Signomi
September 17th, 2008, 08:48 AM
I only find user names to be a preference of personality and taste rather than a reflection of identity. This is mainly because I have friends who love changing their user names every now and then that it becomes impossible to peg them with one in particular. However, this isn't the case when someone whom has had their user name for a very long time suddenly decides to change it, obviously because of that it would take some time to adjust to it. For example, I've changed from one user name I held for a long time to another. In essence, they're both aliases I am frequently associated with. But it's still the same concept.

Now with me, I've never judged anyone by their own user name. They can have a name with as many numbers to their name yet it goes without saying; it's the way they portray themselves towards me that will determine whether or not this person is amiable enough to communicate with. And that's the sort of policy I've abided by so far.

Dusclord
September 17th, 2008, 08:52 AM
Someone with x useless numbers and a random pokémon in his username is often a nembie who was quickly looking for a random username. Even the people with japanese-like usernames don't look japanese, there are always some exceptions.

Avey
September 17th, 2008, 08:58 AM
Were all human aren't we? It's natural to hate someone. I myself have someone to want to hate here...
Anyway, while I was editing my something, someone criticized my thread. He seemed friendly because he help on the stuff I was doing. I checked out his profile & wanted to thank him. I saw his old username & I was shocked. This was the person from a few weeks ago whom I was soooo mad about what he did!!I shall not mention his name

So, usernames do really change your appearance but not your attitude.
Any comments about this?

In fairness, it was I who should have been angry at you. You did steal my thread, after all. Meh, that was the past. We move on.

Anyways, not really. I decide whether I like or tolerate a person depending on their posting style, not their username.

Virtual Chatot
September 17th, 2008, 09:35 AM
Heh, my perception of Gerri changed a little when he shortened it from Gerri Shin to Gerri.

Then again, he hasn't really been talking to me on Aim/MSN :(

Banjora Marxvile
September 17th, 2008, 10:20 AM
I don't don't pay attention to names that much, but it does give a tiny insight into what they are like sometimes, but very rarely for me!

Weatherman, Kiyoshi
September 17th, 2008, 11:02 AM
are you kidding?
of course it does.

unless you know they changed thier name already.

when I first made this account, the spammy newbyness was lost when I changed my name for the first time.

I doubt anyone remembers XD

Azonic
September 17th, 2008, 01:26 PM
Ahh... I can say the majority of the members can be perfectly judged upon their usernames. I judge others upon their usernames all the time. People with hard chatspeak in their usernames, all capital letters, excessive numbers (sometimes even their whole Diamond Friend Code) ; well you can pretty much judge their personality just by looking at their usernames. Excessive decorative marks and symbols often portray the user pretty well. Ahh, but then, people with a proper and creative username can still be the stereotypical noob that we all know.

For the most part, I'd have to say I do judge others upon usernames. Usernames are something that a member thought of in his/her head, and that username must portray themselfs in one way or another.

Even so, some people have names that don't portray themselves well. Like Memory, she's way too hyper and jumpy for such a serious name. >:[

Lynnx
September 17th, 2008, 01:43 PM
No, I think it's what they post and how they act that makes me judge them. :/ I don't judge people by their username... most of the time. I do see a username as the name people call you on PC, though.

the bitter end.
September 17th, 2008, 01:48 PM
Lol, I think it's kind of stupid to change one's username, nut that's just me...

Any who, no I suppose it dosen't.

Midnight Beat
September 17th, 2008, 02:02 PM
It depends how my impression of the person was formed. If it's just that they have a noobish username like...I dunno, "irwin5847", then yes, a name change would certainly changed my perception of that person. But if my initial impression of a person was formed on the basis that they're just pompous, or something, then I don't care what they're called, it's not going to change easily.

Pokemaster1993
September 17th, 2008, 04:35 PM

The username definitely defines the person, in a sense. Like Alakazam17! That's a common and popular Pokemon and probably a common username (haven't checked those nooby-unactive members on the list but..) so people just call him Bill, and when new users refer to him as Alakazam it's considered a kind of respectful thing. I dunno that might sound weird but it makes sense to me. ^_^''

I disagree. I'm Pokemaster1993 and I'm not a noob. every other pokemaster's out there are noobs. and I don't spam threads, actually I see no one spam threads.

Saryka
September 17th, 2008, 05:48 PM
Oh, totally. XD; I remember joining this forum as "akaxrai," a name which not even I can pronounce. I'm sure people would have gotten a first impression of me as a noob - I know I would have. When I changed my name to Scarlet Lynn, though, I think people's perception of me rose, and those who never saw me as "akaxrai" wouldn't have the same first impression of me as those who did would have.

I think a name change would definitely change my perception of someone. Honestly, if someone had a username containing numbers, or a word that was totally unpronounceable, abbreviations, etc., my first impression may not be as good as if someone had a different username. Like Lightning said, it's hard not to be prejudiced over people with usernames like that and it really can't be helped.

Metatron
September 17th, 2008, 05:56 PM
...As much as I want to say no to this, yeah, a person's username really does impact my view of them.

I mean, I always found a person's posts to speak more for themselves than their username, but I tend not to associate myself with people with newbish, poke-related usernames for some reason...y'know, such as "DARKRAI_LUCARIO_MASTER_5000."

...Not that that's actually anyone's username here, but I have seen similar before >_>

Patchisou Yutohru
September 17th, 2008, 06:44 PM
First and foremost, for those who don't know how to pronounce my name it's "Patch-eee-so- You-toe-roo". The only reason I'm mentioning that is because I've read from somewhere in here that Japanese usernames that are inaccurate or something like that having be a n00b or something like that. I forget and don't feel like scrolling up to find (or even searching for that matter)

With that said, and moving on to the question at hand, yes. I do judge people on their usernames. For example, if someone had the username "redyellowbluu4tw" or something like that, I'd consider that person an idiot. (That's just my opinion on names like that). For one, they mis-spelled blue and have 4tw instead of ftw (which generally is used by just about everyone) but I can see why. "redyellowbluuftw" seems a little strange if you ask me, even with all that crap of the colors before hand. I generally like names that are two words separated by a space. For example, my two favorite usernames at PC is Nanako Nanashima and Hiroshi Sotomura and I explained why above. With that said, typically, I prefer and think highly of members who have a name generalized around this.

But typically, the first thing I judge someone on is their Username, then their theme, followed by their posts if they have any and then about me section shortly followed bytheir visitor messages and friends. So, with usernames being a first impression, I do judge people by it. (someone having a lack of a theme, post, about me or visitor and friends aren't any of my concern, though.)

Tyrantrum
September 17th, 2008, 07:57 PM
I have a lot of respect to people that have sophisticated names, or names with no numbers in them. I don't mind them, it's just the fact that I see it all the time! XD

I used to be shinypkmnfan13. I even had a completely different personality, and not as much respect for myself when having that name. :\
Though, when I got my name changed to Eeveon, I had higher respect for myself, and became even more dedicated to these forums than before. I was a little more popular with that name, which is why I'm changing back to that name in October. :)

.Ozymandias
September 18th, 2008, 07:10 AM
I think it does change the way I think of someone. People who try too hard to 'fit in' with the theme (like the overuse of pokemon names here) always make me cringe a little... I try not to judge people, but I do form an opinion.

Though the opinion can be changed depending on their posts/actions on the boards. Someone called 'TheMew_tooMaster548' posting intelligible rubbish will just reinforce my negative opinion of them; however, if they write useful and intellegent posts, my opinion will change to a positive opinion.

Jorah
September 18th, 2008, 01:44 PM
Yeah, I think so. When I first saw Rekhyt I thought it was a pretty cool name, but when I found out he used to be Oni Raichu I was like...wow. It's a whole different style so I didn't expect him to be the same person haha.

Allstories
September 18th, 2008, 04:27 PM
Considering this is one of those boards where there's like a million people that just come and go and most of them are kids and virtually no one has a personality that stands out, if you change your username you may as well be a whole new person.

Confuse
September 18th, 2008, 05:15 PM
I definitely think having a respectful username grants you more respect by the community. It shows that your mind is open to be able to devise a good name.

I've been seinyuuN/A for a while, and my name usually surprises people 'cause they have no idea where it comes from. Although I am thinking of changing it to something more recognizable in October.

.emerald
September 19th, 2008, 01:09 AM
I was like...wow. It's a whole different style so I didn't expect him to be the same person haha.

This is how it happened to me...
I didn't expect to see the person change his username...

Guillermo
September 19th, 2008, 01:14 AM
To me, it really depends if my perception of someones is changed through a name change. An example would be a really big name change from like 'Pokemonlover' to like 'Pokemonhater' or something, instantly you would think "Woah man..." I just think if the name change is small, then why should it change them at all?

Zorua
September 19th, 2008, 01:47 AM
I suppose it depends on the name.

If Caerus changed his name to pRiNceSS_pUmPkun98!!!~*

I'd eat him. And I'm vegan.

Watch. And I will too. Just to piss you off. ):

Anyway, a username defines a person, but I've seen a lot of people with 328937859735 in their usernames and they're actually quite mature posters. Though it sorta shows a lack of creativity on their part(since I highly dislike numbers in usernames, but hey, my own opinion)

For me, I guess it really depends. Look at Deviruchi. She was once Castrainer. For me, I would think if I saw someone with the name Castrainer, first impressions would be all "lol hes a pokemon nub" but then as I'd go in depth into her posts, my opinions change dramatically.

So all in all, I'd get first impressions from a username, cause we've all at one point or another had a retarded username in the past, even I did. It defines a person and some aspect of their personality, but once you get indepth into their posts, they'll most likely change for the better, hopefully.

helix
September 21st, 2008, 07:09 AM
A person's username, post content, avatar and signature are all part of their 'face'. Those tend to be a great indication of their tastes. Online, it's all we have to judge them with if we don't know them very well. For me, yes- I confess. I associate a members's personality, tastes, and my outlook on them with their username and evaluate them that way if I don't know them well enough to think otherwise.

Volkner's Apprentice
September 21st, 2008, 10:36 AM
Not to draw attention or anything, but I've gotten some positive feedback changing my username from just Ryan24 to this. Would you say it's a step up?

Aurafire
September 21st, 2008, 10:54 AM
Not to draw attention or anything, but I've gotten some positive feedback changing my username from just Ryan24 to this. Would you say it's a step up?

Totally =P

Plus people can still call you ryan, but now you have a schnazzy new name!