PDA

View Full Version : [Tutorial] Insert new pokemon Complete tutorial.

torferno lvl-X
September 21st, 2008, 12:13 AM
Hi everyone I am goning to tell you every single detail on inserting
pokemon into those 25 empty slots. Here are the sections. Valid for all gba genration games.
(Sorry, but untill I get more comments I won't update the tut becuase if know one likes it there's is no point ( I encourage critisicm because then I know what to update and make more clear))

Indexing Sprites.
Inserting sprites
Repointing Sprites
Stats edit
Icon repointing and editing NEW
and Cry editing(coming when someone PMs me on how to do it)

History
21/09/08 added basics, posted thread.
21/09/08 inserted detail, for easier understanding
26/09/08 Added a little bit
14/11/08 Icon Editing tuorial inserted

INDEXING SPRITES
(and adding transparent coulour)

You will need
Irfan View
Your sprite(64x64 pixels)

THis is really simple first open IrfanView and open your sprite in it.
Then go Image>decrease coulour depth>16 colours
Then click save as Gif and choose youre transparent colour simple!

INSERTING SPRITES

You will need
An indexed sprite(front, back or both)
A hex editor(cygnus free edition is used here)
and Unzl GBA

Open Unzl GBA and click open file.
Don't go any where but go straight to import.
Then open youre sprite.
Then click write to rom.
You will four check boxes tick the two on the left, Don't do anything yet but what i just
told you.
Open youre hex editor.
Scroll down untill you see a bunch of 0's or F's in the middle of the
screen.(about halfway)
Look at the left column, you will see a bunch of numbers.
like this(example)
......00546000 00 00 00 00 00-00 00 00 00 00
00546010 00 00 00 00 00-00 00 00 00 00
00546020 00 00 00 00 00-00 00 00 00 00
00546030 00 00 00 00 00-00 00 00 00 00
00546040...ect.(the zeros are Fs in fire red)
remember 2 of these but they need to be at least 4 spaces apart!
(aka. i would pick 546000 and 546040 (the two zeros at the beginning aren't important)).
Go back to Unzl GBA and type in in the two blanks the numbers you
saw. But the bottom one first (AKA 546040
546000 not 546000
546040 because otherwise the pallette will destroy the larger image file!)
Do this for the front and back sprite.

REPOINTING SPRITES

You will need
Pokemon editor pro
a pokemon rom with youre sprite inserted

Open pokemon editor pro and then open youre rom.
Scroll down to youre pokemon(one of the 25 slots after celebii) and you will see 5 text bars on the right
with hex numbers in them.
ON the pokemon pallette bit type in the socond nhex number from the last bit
so for me it would be.546000.
And on the pokeomn front sprite put in the first number (546040 for me).
(if you want you can use advnce starter to put that pokemon into youre game and see if it has come out right)

Stats Edit

You will need
Pokemon Editor Pro
A rom with a pokemon inserted

Open up Pokemon Editor Pro and then open up your rom and from there the thing is self explainitory.

Icon Editing

You will need
Pokemon Editor Pro
IconEd
A Rom

OK, To start off, open pokemon editor pro. Then, in that open your rom. Scroll down to the pokemon you desire and on the right hand side you will see something saying loads of offsets. Go to the one which says Icon Offset and change the offset to an empty space. Then open IconEd and Happy editing.

P.S There is a complete tut on pkmnhackersonline.com but ther are some stuff there which are quite hard to understand or completely not explained. And I found out that you can easily repoint the icon on pokemon editor pro and also I want to add how to change the cry plus I want to know how to disable the pokedex in wild events.

master morty
September 21st, 2008, 04:35 AM
you edit pokemon cries with pokecry I'm not sure how as I got told yesterday nice tutorial though I was hoping one of these would be here (yay first post)
P.s. I think those 25 empty slots are ACTUALLY used for the unknown but who uses the unknown in their hack anyway :D

Darthatron
September 21st, 2008, 05:53 AM
Oh, how original... Do any of you people ever do any research for yourself? Or do you all just reword each others tutorials?

torferno lvl-X
September 21st, 2008, 07:53 AM
This is based of somenone elses tutorial but some unclear stuff there has been fixed up here and I also want to include how to change pokecrys but i don't know how to do that. Also does anyone know how to disable the pokedex in wild events.
(I know these slots don't take up unknown space cause by themselves these pokemon only know tackle)

hi sir tomato my password is syvniti
September 21st, 2008, 08:52 AM
Oh, how original... Do any of you people ever do any research for yourself? Or do you all just reword each others tutorials?

Dude, Do never quostirnd the big 25 ekstra pokemonsz... n000bn darrth is a nooob!!!

diegoisawesome
September 21st, 2008, 09:53 AM
This is what I think about the 25 slots:

Ruby and Saphire were based off of Crystal but (almost) completely reprogrammed. Back in the day of Crystal, you had to have a new Pokemon for every Unown letter (there were 26 for the 26 letters in the Alphabet). But when they overhauled the code, they left in the extra Unowns until after they had programmed all the Pokemon. Then they went back and programmed the Unown Shape Byte into the Random Pokemon Generator in the game, thus eliminating the need for those extra 25 Unowns. They moved the Pokemon after Unown into those slots, but they didn't feel like moving the Hoenn Pokemon, so they just left those slots open.

So they actually were other Pokemon, and Celebi and the others are actually old Unowns, while Empty Slot 25 used to be Celebi. Get it?

Boy, that was a long post.

EDIT: Boy, I sure hope that you get the Cry Editing Tutorial in.

September 21st, 2008, 09:59 AM

Ruby and Saphire were based off of Crystal but (almost) completely reprogrammed. Back in the day of Crystal, you had to have a new Pokemon for every Unown letter (there were 26 for the 26 letters in the Alphabet). But when they overhauled the code, they left in the extra Unowns until after they had programmed all the Pokemon. Then they went back and programmed the Unown Shape Byte into the Random Pokemon Generator in the game, thus eliminating the need for those extra 25 Unowns. They moved the Pokemon after Unown into those slots, but they didn't feel like moving the Hoenn Pokemon, so they just left those slots open.

So they actually were other Pokemon, and Celebi and the others are actually old Unowns, while Empty Slot 25 used to be Celebi. Get it?

So...
Gold and Silver came from the same source... Then they made Crystal... Instead of making a new Game when they reached the advanced Generation, they made Ruby and Saphirre over Crystal? and Then Emerald, Fire red and Leaf green...

diegoisawesome
September 21st, 2008, 10:05 AM
So...
Gold and Silver came from the same source... Then they made Crystal... Instead of making a new Game when they reached the advanced Generation, they made Ruby and Saphirre over Crystal? and Then Emerald, Fire red and Leaf green...
That's my guess. fillerfiller

September 21st, 2008, 10:07 AM
That's my guess. fillerfiller

Except by the pokemon amount, give me 3 reasons... (If you got more then it's okay too)

diegoisawesome
September 21st, 2008, 01:23 PM
Except by the pokemon amount, give me 3 reasons... (If you got more then it's okay too)
Like I said, it's just my GUESS.

Pokemon Professor
September 22nd, 2008, 10:09 PM
Hm, still unclear stuff. Are you sure it shouldn't be saved as a .png? I did .gif and it came out werid (and with the Unown cry - yes this proves those 25 spots are for Unown). I'm going to try again later. I found a Title Screen Cry Changer but not a standard cry changer. The TSCC only goes from #1-#251 though but it's still nice.

EDIT: I used indexed .pngs instead as that seemed to be the correct way. This time, instead of getting the distorted and weird image... it froze when I select the Pokéball containing the newly adde Pokémon [Bonsly]. It did play the Unown cry before it froze and continued playing the BGM afterwards but I couldn't do anything at all. an anyone help me at all?

torferno lvl-X
September 23rd, 2008, 10:08 AM
I use Gifs and they work fine, did you make sure that when you repointed that the pallette was first and the graphics were second and the were 4 spaces apart!
I will add screenies when I hav made more than 15 posts.
And please point out faults in this tutorial for me, thanks poke professor

master morty
September 25th, 2008, 03:03 PM
Hm, still unclear stuff. Are you sure it shouldn't be saved as a .png? I did .gif and it came out werid (and with the Unown cry - yes this proves those 25 spots are for Unown). I'm going to try again later. I found a Title Screen Cry Changer but not a standard cry changer. The TSCC only goes from #1-#251 though but it's still nice.

EDIT: I used indexed .pngs instead as that seemed to be the correct way. This time, instead of getting the distorted and weird image... it froze when I select the Pokéball containing the newly adde Pokémon [Bonsly]. It did play the Unown cry before it froze and continued playing the BGM afterwards but I couldn't do anything at all. an anyone help me at all?

to edit pokemon cries use pokecry GUI by LoadingNow you can get it in elite map.

p.s. make sure that when you choose the wav and hit encode that the wav is an 8 bit wav. you'll deeply regret it if it's not... trust me;)

diegoisawesome
September 25th, 2008, 03:31 PM

Was that Title Screen Cry Changer the one that I posted here?
Title Screen Cry Changer (http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=3609886#post3609886)

Pokemon Professor
September 26th, 2008, 01:32 AM
Was that Title Screen Cry Changer the one that I posted here?
Title Screen Cry Changer (http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=3609886#post3609886)

I believe so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokemon Professor http://www.pokecommunity.com/images/templates/topseekreht/seedsofplatinum_20080617/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=3964886#post3964886)

to edit pokemon cries use pokecry GUI by LoadingNow you can get it in elite map.

p.s. make sure that when you choose the wav and hit encode that the wav is an 8 bit wav. you'll deeply regret it if it's not... trust me

I don't know if it will work for me. I don't think I've tried it with my Fire Red OM yet but... I heard it messes up other cries. I guess I can backup the ROM and try it.

I use Gifs and they work fine, did you make sure that when you repointed that the pallette was first and the graphics were second and the were 4 spaces apart!
I will add screenies when I hav made more than 15 posts.
And please point out faults in this tutorial for me, thanks poke professor

I think I know the problem. unLZ.gba does the deep scan thing at the beginning. I was going to change FR's title screen and then realised that in unLZ.gba, when you're looking to rip the images (how do you do that by the way? The pkmnhackersonline tutorial didn't explain it in detail), 2009 in FR is the Pokemon logo. It wouldn't display so I rescanned the ROM (after putting it in the EliteMap directory) and it worked. I'll try again tomorrow - it might work this time. I should avoiding setting transparency when indexing though, right? Or does it not matter?

diegoisawesome
September 27th, 2008, 05:54 AM
I believe so.

I don't know if it will work for me. I don't think I've tried it with my Fire Red OM yet but... I heard it messes up other cries. I guess I can backup the ROM and try it.

I think I know the problem. unLZ.gba does the deep scan thing at the beginning. I was going to change FR's title screen and then realised that in unLZ.gba, when you're looking to rip the images (how do you do that by the way? The pkmnhackersonline tutorial didn't explain it in detail), 2009 in FR is the Pokemon logo. It wouldn't display so I rescanned the ROM (after putting it in the EliteMap directory) and it worked. I'll try again tomorrow - it might work this time. I should avoiding setting transparency when indexing though, right? Or does it not matter?
Umm... well when I indexed and set transparency, I don't remember what, but something didn't work afterward.

torferno lvl-X
October 6th, 2008, 08:46 AM
Sorry, but untill I get more comments I won't update the tut becuase if know one likes it there's is no point ( I encourage critisicm because then I know what to update and make more clear) This includes screenshots!

Joey the Cockroach
October 12th, 2008, 11:10 AM
i wouldnt say that this was a bad tutorial. can i add something?

if you are gonna be making a new pokemon, first open UnLZ.GBA and find the pokemon you want. click on save as.. then yourpokemonnamehere.png

open this up in paint, and now there will be a few odd things happening. the palette will only correspond to the exact palette from the game, so you will have to hunt for the colors yourself. secondly, you could use APE and change the palette so that it matches with the one you are making. when you are done, save. go back to UnLZ and click import, following with your image of your new pokemon. then click Write to ROM, and tick to correct pointers, export image and export palette. you could tick the other one if you want to.

then try it out. if it appears, you've done it right. if it is too big, then resize it in UnLZ and try again.

EDIT:this only took me 25 minutes to figure out.

torferno lvl-X
October 16th, 2008, 09:52 AM
That won't work 'cause all the 25 empty slot pokemon have the same sprite pointers, so you will have to use pokemon editor pro or RS ball to repoint each empty slot individually this also applies for the icon. Anyway i'll add screnies when i have to insert pokemon into the empty slots for GKS in his awesome new hack POKEMON ODDS AND EVENS.

Joey the Cockroach
October 17th, 2008, 02:49 PM
i didnt mention the 25 unown ones, i was talking about the other pokemon like Treecko, Mew, Celebi, Araidos etc.

Nico_hacker
October 30th, 2008, 01:13 PM
You really need a English course man! Serious, you have like a millions of typing errors! Still, keep up your good work with tutorials ;)

truthseeker
November 1st, 2008, 12:58 AM
may i ask? where would i get the hex editor thing?

torferno lvl-X
November 1st, 2008, 04:45 AM

You could ue google. I'll hopefully update the tut soon.

truthseeker
November 1st, 2008, 04:53 AM

sory never mind what i said... n_n hehehe... but will i use the same offset that i used in the pokemon sprite to the back sprite?

You could ue google. I'll hopefully update the tut soon.

Thank you..n_n yeah thanks for this tut. hehehe it help me alot

torferno lvl-X
November 1st, 2008, 06:57 AM
sory never mind what i said... n_n hehehe... but will i use the same offset that i used in the pokemon sprite to the back sprite?

Thank you..n_n yeah thanks for this tut. hehehe it help me alot

Seriously thanks a lot for the positive comment it really encourages me to extend this tutorial.

EDIT: Backsprites use different offsets.

poddish
November 1st, 2008, 02:12 PM

There are 28 unown in the 3rd and 4th gen., And they originally planned for shellos and gastrodon to be in r/s, but they got cut, thats why there is a extra back sprite for them in d/p. (info from an interview in nintendo power, not word for word though...)
If what you said was true, then why is chimeco's hex number AFTER deoxys? Why didn't they put it over one of those slots? And why would they use a game with a different, well, everything to "help" them make r/s, unless they planned on making them link up with the older games? I believe that d/p are completely edited versions of ruby or sapphire. Why?
1. SPINDA, if you send a r/s/fr/lg/e spinda to d/p it keeps the same spot pattern. why does that matter? I don't think nintendo is going to remake the spinda pattern thing EXACTLY the same as before, because the game randomly creates a (wild) spinda's spot patterns from about 1,000,000,000 different combos.
2.Battle tower, If they used fr/lg they would have to have redone the battle tower, and get rid of the trainer tower. If they used emerald, there would have been some data left from the battle frontier because of how big it was and how much space it took up.
3.time
although there are some key items from fr/lg too.

I hope someday there will be an OFFICIAL g/s remake, because its way overdue...

torferno lvl-X
November 2nd, 2008, 02:43 AM
I don't really like the idea of a Gold remake for the DS. Pokemon clluseum made up for that so there is no point in making it. They only made fire red and leaf green so you could complete the pokedex.

CW-Regret
November 11th, 2008, 10:47 PM
I'm having issues,after a sprite is inserted. It shows the picture fine in paint,but when game open it gets all glitchy. Seeing as i cant post url's until ive posted 15 post i can post pictures,or links. PM me if you can possibly help. Thank you

Joey the Cockroach
November 14th, 2008, 09:14 AM
after you have imported it to unlz.gba, have another look at it again. is there some strange lines at the bottom of the image? could possibly be that the image is too big or you are evading the auto abort if it is too big.

torferno lvl-X
November 14th, 2008, 09:37 AM
Um, di you make sure that the image and the pallete offsets are atlest four spaces aprt with the palletfirts so that there data don't overlap each other?
a.k.a.
800000<-pallete
800040<-image

Jeyboye
November 14th, 2008, 09:40 AM
after you have imported it to unlz.gba, have another look at it again. is there some strange lines at the bottom of the image? could possibly be that the image is too big or you are evading the auto abort if it is too big.

Hehehe. I have the same problem.. The front sprite looks bad and back sprite looks like something but colors are like inverted.. it's not good. I wouldn't know how to search for the sprite (in unlz) since a new hex code is entered.. where could it be?

Also, does any one know how I can encounter my new made pokemon in the wild? (So far the only way I have gotten to interact with my poke sprite is by a program called 'A starter'.) Any program or hints for either one of my problems would help. Thanks.

--------------------
Peace.

torferno lvl-X
November 14th, 2008, 09:49 AM
The Backsprite uses the same pallette as the front sprite which explains the colour issue, so far you can't ecounter free-slot pokemon in the wild due to pokedex glitches so, you can only use give-pokemon events. You can also disable the pokedex in a wild event somehow, but I don't have the knowledge on how to do that....

Jeyboye
November 14th, 2008, 10:22 AM
The Backsprite uses the same pallette as the front sprite which explains the colour issue, so far you can't ecounter free-slot pokemon in the wild due to pokedex glitches so, you can only use give-pokemon events. You can also disable the pokedex in a wild event somehow, but I don't have the knowledge on how to do that....

ooooooooOOOOO. I see. That might may explain somethings!! ^^

Right now I've been crashing a few back-ups since it's my first time really hex editing and hacking roms, but it's been interesting so far.

Thank you. Hope to be back and look into editing icons.
-------------------------

OK.

I know theres gotta be something up. I've done everything to try and solve why it is I can't get a front and back sprite to show up right.

I've inserted indexed original .pngs and indexed .gifs, made sure only the left two boxes were ticked, but one always ends up static, or the game freezes.. I've tried it all. Could someone who has FR try it out?

..I've looked at the first 10 hexs in a long column of emtpy strings of 'fffff' and used only the following four empty columns, in this order:

SPRITE FRONT
IMG: 00811480<----Higher
PAL: 00811440<----Lower

SPRITE BACK
IMG: 008114D0<----Higher
PAL: 00811490<----Lower

Hope someone helpful enough can assist me through this glitch. Peace.

torferno lvl-X
November 15th, 2008, 08:14 AM
Um...
Could you post a screenie? Otherwise, I can't help.
Anyway the icon editing tutorial is now up. ^^

Jeyboye
November 16th, 2008, 09:13 AM
Sure, thanks for the icon tut. I'll have to look at it soon. :)

Confused? Ok I'll try to explain my steps for now:

1. Here are the hexs and the ones marked in red are the ones I used:

008114A0
008114B0
008114C0
008114D0

2. Import image >> 64x64 indexed .gif file. (links for images used not available, atm)

3.Write to rom Typed the hexadecimals in on unlz-gba exactly like this:

(FRONT)
Image offset: 00811480
Palette offset: 00811440

(BACK)
Image offset: 008114D0
Palette offset: 00811490

..Then 'ticked' only 'export image' and 'export platette' and clicked 'ok'

4. Then gone to p.e.p. and typed in the same hexs like this:

sprite offset: 811480
back sprite: 8114D0
Norm pallette: 811440
Shiny pallette: 811490

..save to rom..

4. ....I've yet to get one good instance of where the images are like I made them on my pc (i.e the scramble static graphic on one or the other).

I thought I'd break it down as well as I could, though.. Hopefully, it's kewl to be read and followed, and I'll get the screens as soon as I hit 15+ post limit. Thanks! Yo! :O
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Peace.

Banjora Marxvile
November 16th, 2008, 11:19 AM
Sure, thanks for the icon tut. I'll have to look at it soon. :)

Confused? Ok I'll try to explain my steps for now:

1. Here are the hexs and the ones marked in red are the ones I used:

008114A0
008114B0
008114C0
008114D0

2. Import image >> 64x64 indexed .gif file. (links for images used not available, atm)

3.Write to rom Typed the hexadecimals in on unlz-gba exactly like this:

(FRONT)
Image offset: 00811480
Palette offset: 00811440

(BACK)
Image offset: 008114D0
Palette offset: 00811490

..Then 'ticked' only 'export image' and 'export platette' and clicked 'ok'

4. Then gone to p.e.p. and typed in the same hexs like this:

sprite offset: 811480
back sprite: 8114D0
Norm pallette: 811440
Shiny pallette: 811490

..save to rom..

4. ....I've yet to get one good instance of where the images are like I made them on my pc (i.e the scramble static graphic on one or the other).

I thought I'd break it down as well as I could, though.. Hopefully, it's kewl to be read and followed, and I'll get the screens as soon as I hit 15+ post limit. Thanks! Yo! :O
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Peace.

The image takes much more Hex space. Do the image, insert only 1, save it. Re open the Hex Editor, find fre space and repeat like this.

Jeyboye
November 16th, 2008, 08:15 PM
The image takes much more Hex space. Do the image, insert only 1, save it. Re open the Hex Editor, find fre space and repeat like this.

Hmmmmm.... Success!!! ^_^

It worked great. All I need to do now is figure out why the images I made and indexed didn't work. I was able only to insert my "own" images by: original gba .png >> ms paint >> save.

Thanks. You helped me way to much! Thanks! :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
Peace.

torferno lvl-X
November 20th, 2008, 09:21 AM
Sorry I haven't been here for a while due to work. But thanks to Turtwigtoon fow answereing that question for Jeyeboy. Anyway I might update this tu even more soon, 'cause I 've already added the Icon Editing part now.

Shadowlink77
November 25th, 2008, 10:07 PM
You really need a English course man! Serious, you have like a millions of typing errors!

*sorry for bumping* but that guy is dumb he needs and english course as well.

roywillow
November 28th, 2008, 08:31 PM
i wonder if we can expand the pokedex and add the 25 slots to it...

torferno lvl-X
November 29th, 2008, 01:34 AM
*sorry for bumping* but that guy is dumb he needs and english course as well.

I must seem like some retard:D.
The typing errors are due to typing without beeing carefull.
Oh and thanks for calling me dumb XD.

Shadowlink77
December 5th, 2008, 07:15 PM
I must seem like some retard.\
The typing errors are due to typing without beeing carefull.
Oh and thanks for calling me dumb XD.

Sorry I just meant that that guy was rude, i had not intended to put you down.

torferno lvl-X
December 6th, 2008, 05:22 AM
Sorry I just meant that that guy was rude, i had not intended to put you down.

Than I am dumb for quoting the wrong post LOL,XD!

cyberzero
December 13th, 2008, 12:15 PM
hey, this is a great tutorial!
i've used this to great success, but i have a question
i've tried using this for trainer sprites, but it's been coming up all glitchy
it says that its too big, so i have to uncheck auto abort and then it doesnt work =/
is there any way to avoid/fix this?

torferno lvl-X
December 14th, 2008, 11:27 AM
hey, this is a great tutorial!
i've used this to great success, but i have a question
i've tried using this for trainer sprites, but it's been coming up all glitchy
it says that its too big, so i have to uncheck auto abort and then it doesnt work =/
is there any way to avoid/fix this?

PM me screenshots. then I'll tell you the problem. Or you can tell me what you do step by step.

Anyway thanks for saying you like it ^^

poddish
December 14th, 2008, 01:59 PM

well you can encounter free slot pkmn in the wild if you put them in the regional dex, at least you can encounter them before the nationaldex, although it could have been a fluke when I encountered it...

shot571
December 20th, 2008, 05:44 AM
can u please make a video because ive tried doing wat u said but it doesnt work

Banjora Marxvile
December 20th, 2008, 05:46 AM
PM me exactly what you did, shot571. I can try to help, as this isn't hard when you know what you are doing.

shot571
December 21st, 2008, 04:08 AM
i did everything it said but i might have missed something out . could u make a video to help me.

Banjora Marxvile
December 21st, 2008, 04:17 AM
What's hard to get? Check with a Hex Editor for a free space line - shown by FF's, all next to each other. Mark that one down, as well as the one 2 lines down that is FF's too. Use the first one you put as the Pallette Offset, and the 2nd as the Image Offset.

deathscythe
January 4th, 2009, 03:49 AM
The Tutorial is great but there i don't think it's a complete tutorial, probably 90% if you manage to get the pokecry tut up.
I've tried it, everything works fine, except for some pallets errors which i can easily fixed. When I run the game, encountering the new pokemon in the wild, it appears. Tried to catch it and the entire game freezes after that... cause as I said, your tutorial is just 90% cause you've missed out the most important tut of all... adding the newly added pokemon to the pokedex entry... without this, it's simply useless to even touch the 25 empty slots.

torferno lvl-X
January 4th, 2009, 05:02 AM
The Tutorial is great but there i don't think it's a complete tutorial, probably 90% if you manage to get the pokecry tut up.
I've tried it, everything works fine, except for some pallets errors which i can easily fixed. When I run the game, encountering the new pokemon in the wild, it appears. Tried to catch it and the entire game freezes after that... cause as I said, your tutorial is just 90% cause you've missed out the most important tut of all... adding the newly added pokemon to the pokedex entry... without this, it's simply useless to even touch the 25 empty slots.

I said in the thread that the pokemon will have to be in a give-pokemon(i.e starters or trade) event or you can put them in a wild-pokemon event with the pokedex disabled(i.e. legendary pokemon). At the moment no-one has actually added those empty slots to the pokedex because it is hard and probably takes a long time to work out. But if anyone knows how to do it PM me.

deathscythe
January 4th, 2009, 06:27 AM
really? u did say that?
ok... i must have not been reading properly... probably reading it at 90% completion only.

Banjora Marxvile
January 7th, 2009, 10:08 AM
really? u did say that?
ok... i must have not been reading properly... probably reading it at 90% completion only.

It doesn't mention that at great detail. I have a rule that if you can't edit it's Pokemon dex data, it cannot be caught in the wild.

codemonkey85
January 8th, 2009, 05:37 AM
1. SPINDA, if you send a r/s/fr/lg/e spinda to d/p it keeps the same spot pattern. why does that matter? I don't think nintendo is going to remake the spinda pattern thing EXACTLY the same as before, because the game randomly creates a (wild) spinda's spot patterns from about 1,000,000,000 different combos.

This may be the wrong place to ask this, but can anyone help me figure something out with Spinda's spots? I don't have any way of transferring a Spinda from a Gen III game to a Gen IV game, so I need to see for myself if Spinda's spots really remain in the exact same spot... if they do, you can use the same graphing algorithm in Gen IV. Otherwise, you may have to change the coordinate offsets.

So if someone could get me a screenshot of a Gen III Spinda, and another one where that same Spinda is in a Gen IV game, I would appreciate it like crazy.

This matters to me because I am creating a program to graph Spinda's spots on Gen IV sprites, something that doesn't exist yet (as all other drawers I have seen use Gen III sprits).

Jerros
February 1st, 2009, 08:38 AM
The sprite simply doesn't work for me...
I've done everything you've said EXACTLY, but I still encounter a "??" sprite called Togekiss (the one i'm trying to insert).

This is what I do:

First I have my Togekiss sprite.
It has 64x64 pixels and 16 colours.

Next, I go to unLZ, import the sprite, and click on "Write to Rom".
I only tick the "Image" box, since that's what i'm only caring for now.
I enter my empty offset in the "image offset" box in unZL (The offset is 00E5D080).
Now i click on "OK" in unLZ.

Next I open my rom in PEP, i go to the first questionmark (called Togekiss).
Now I enter E5D080 in the top box, called "Sprite offset".
I hit the save button, open the rom, and I still encounter a Togekiss with the ?? sprite.

What am I doing wrong!?

Conan Edogawa
February 6th, 2009, 03:55 PM
What do I do if there is no 0's in the middle?

sky_queen3
February 6th, 2009, 08:44 PM
What do I do if there is no 0's in the middle?

Are there FF's in the middle? You might still be ok.

Conan Edogawa
February 7th, 2009, 05:29 PM
Are there FF's in the middle? You might still be ok.
No there were just a mix of numbers and letters.

~Poke~
February 21st, 2009, 01:26 AM
Hey, I have a Question.

When I reduce it to 16 colours in Irfanview, and save as PNG it adds similar but different colours everywhere. I'll include 2 pics of the wierd PNGs (But I can't be bothered Flickr-ing it, ok) btw the forum doesn't let you upload .bmp files...

They're apparently not indexed too.

notbob
April 30th, 2009, 08:47 PM
How do you get the images to a smaller size?

Bl00dyBizkitz
May 2nd, 2009, 04:45 PM
nice job dude. is there a way to do this on a gb game?

May 6th, 2009, 08:14 AM
If you're gonna insert a sprite, should it be one by one or it's ok if you insert it at the same time.

Satoshi Ookami
May 6th, 2009, 08:23 PM
Can anyone tell me where I can download Icon ED? I didn't find it anywhere...

May 7th, 2009, 01:39 AM
I think you need to create a video about this so people can understand more, and i think you can put screenshots now.

notbob
May 22nd, 2009, 12:06 PM
My game crashes every time my Arceus appears. I definitely won't ever use this tutorial ever again.

●•ΛΣЯӨЩ•●
May 22nd, 2009, 02:57 PM
Hey i got a way to edit the pokemon cries but it works only in ruby.The interface is crap though.I would recommend some dude to make a tool for it.Oh and it is only for Ruby.

kozboz
June 5th, 2009, 07:17 PM
nice tut and sum1 give me the link for iconed please

RazorClaw
June 8th, 2009, 11:40 AM
I think this is a nice tutorial, I put it in my favorites for future reference. Keep up the nice work!

onyx79
June 12th, 2009, 09:33 PM
thanks this tut is very useful to me

SantoBarca5
June 14th, 2009, 12:10 PM
i just you pokepic for ruby and iconed and it works fine but everytime i play with the pokemon the backpic is mess up it shows the trainer instead of the backpic any help?

TheGateKeeper
June 14th, 2009, 06:17 PM
Hey thanks for the tutorial but I have a problem.

I inserted Magmortar in Firered and I set Magmar to evolve at lv 36 but when it goes to evolve its starts then it stops and says ",,,?"

sab
June 16th, 2009, 03:45 PM
Can anyone tell me where I can download Icon ED? I didn't find it anywhere...
try whack a hack. here is the link. http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=es&u=http://wah.studiopokemon.com/endex.php&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=1&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dwhack%2Ba%2Bhack%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG. It is listed as icon unless I'm mistaken.

ShinyBlaziken
June 20th, 2009, 11:11 AM
Cool Tutorial but I've got 2 Problems

1. I can't use Poke Edit Pro. When I double click it it says that one of the components is missing or something like that

2. I wanted to add a Darkrai in Pokemon FireRed. I made it exactly like the tut says but when I write it to the Rom then I get Sprites like this

June 28th, 2009, 12:36 AM
Cool Tutorial but I've got 2 Problems

1. I can't use Poke Edit Pro. When I double click it it says that one of the components is missing or something like that

2. I wanted to add a Darkrai in Pokemon FireRed. I made it exactly like the tut says but when I write it to the Rom then I get Sprites like this

1. Then download the file that is said missing.
2. Try inserting it again.

sab
July 5th, 2009, 10:15 AM
To edit the crys use pokecry. Avalible here: http://www.sendspace.com/file/0mvkd3

sky_queen3
July 6th, 2009, 03:37 AM
To edit the crys use pokecry. Avalible here: http://www.sendspace.com/file/0mvkd3

Mate, I owe you something, this version of PokeCry ain't reacting to Trend Micro. Do you know how happy I am right now? :cer_love: :pink_love:

sab
July 6th, 2009, 05:59 AM
Mate, I owe you something, this version of PokeCry ain't reacting to Trend Micro. Do you know how happy I am right now? :cer_love: :pink_love:
glad to here it! I thought it was a bit strange that no one had used this, so I just uploaded it. I though that I got this from wah but apperently not. any way this should complete the tut right?

lunos219
August 21st, 2009, 05:38 AM
so... anyone here now how to add custom attacks?

i already have advance attack...

August 21st, 2009, 05:52 AM
so... anyone here now how to add custom attacks?

i already have advance attack...

You can't add attacks with Advance Attack, it only edits the name, effects and the power of the attack. I want to add new attacks, too.

lunos219
August 21st, 2009, 05:57 AM
mabe it's possible to take a virtualy unused attack, and change the animation?

Edit: technicly you can put in new attacks with advance attack, but i cant garentee that it'll work...

orry, my keyboard leaves out letters sometimes...

August 21st, 2009, 06:18 AM
mabe it's possible to take a virtualy unused attack, and change the animation?

Edit: technicly you can put in new attacks with advance attack, but i cant garentee that it'll work...

orry, my keyboard leaves out letters sometimes...

But how? I know you can change the attack animations by using UnLz-gba by HackMew.

rokrdude
November 23rd, 2009, 09:42 PM
Thanks for the tutorial but

Is there any easy way to edit pokemon icons other than using iconed ?
I have been able to change sprites but no luck with icons!!!

Can anyone provide a link to guide or video how to change icons??

shiny insanamon
September 5th, 2011, 09:37 AM
hmmm... it's a little hard to follow and some pictures would be nice... (it did not work for me!)

jojo1250
October 24th, 2011, 01:16 PM
this tutorials great! just one problem, it didnt work for me. whenever i try to use the new sprite it comes up as the last sprite i saw in game but all orange. can anyone help me or tell me what i did wrong?