PDA

View Full Version : The Meaning of Life

Hoppyfred
September 26th, 2008, 11:47 AM
Well...I'm no good at RS...but I have been wondering...

WHAT IS THE MEANING OF LIFE?

I'm not suicidal or anything, I'd just like to know what everybody thinks their point in life, their reason for being on the Earth is.

As far as I'm concerned, I am here to enlighten people with my thread ^^

What do YOU think is the meaning of life?

Members of the Meaning of Life club:

Hoppyfred - Founder / CEO
Tyranitar2 - Club lunatic / Vice-President

Support Banners:
http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/5647/meaningoflifeuserbarwd4.jpg (http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=154809)

Join us today!

Tyranitar2
September 26th, 2008, 11:52 AM
I believe we have a choice where to lead our lives !WOOP WOOP FIRST POST! As we progress through life we face many choices some might say "Ah put u were destined to choose that" then i would say *puches him in face* "Yh u were also Destined to get that now shut up" we all have our own liffe choices and its is our choice what we do and how

Hoppyfred
September 26th, 2008, 11:53 AM
So you don't believe in destiny?

Tyranitar2
September 26th, 2008, 12:07 PM
So you don't believe in destiny?
no i dont. i can see this turning into one hell of a philosophical post everyone post your opinions. Being an Atheist you may think me Biast but i have been exposed to all ways of life and considering them all i prefer to lay bck and live a life without rules. Futhermore i have an A* in RS so there!. Jkin but i did get the A*

Hoppyfred
September 26th, 2008, 12:12 PM
So what do you think is YOUR purpose in life?

Aurafire
September 26th, 2008, 12:19 PM
Humans cannot possibly hope to fully understand life and it's "purpose". Honestly, I believe we are here purely by coincidence. Earth happened to have particular conditions that gave life a chance to develop and evolution to occur, and here we are! I don't believe in other forces guiding our lives here on earth. I believe that we are simply creatures like any other, but our higher intelligence gives us the ability to ponder our own existence. Honestly, we can wonder all we want, but there's no way for us to find out the answers (at least right now).

Hoppyfred
September 26th, 2008, 12:21 PM
So you feel that as yourself, you have no inner purpose that you were placed on this life to fufil?

Tyranitar2
September 26th, 2008, 12:27 PM
Humans cannot possibly hope to fully understand life and it's "purpose". Honestly, I believe we are here purely by coincidence. Earth happened to have particular conditions that gave life a chance to develop and evolution to occur, and here we are! I don't believe in other forces guiding our lives here on earth. I believe that we are simply creatures like any other, but our higher intelligence gives us the ability to ponder our own existence. Honestly, we can wonder all we want, but there's no way for us to find out the answers (at least right now).
I agree with Aurasphere we cannot know our own purpose or reason but neither can we hope to divsie that we have a set path or we choose our own however i stand by my ealier post and the look i have on life and my experiences i believe we make our own way towards death. As John Mayanard Keyens Said "In the long run, we're all dead"

Cassino
September 26th, 2008, 12:54 PM
Life has no meaning.

... Yep.

I voted yes though because individuals' objectives add meaning to their lives, humans have created causes for themselves; but really everything that does exist, living or not, serves to do nothing but exist. The religions predominantly around today, such as Christianity and Islam, function as what I'd call the application of meaning.

KLS 500
September 26th, 2008, 03:25 PM
Everybody has a purpose in life, I have a purpose in life but I don't know what it means just yet because I am only seventeen years old.

Volkner's Apprentice
September 26th, 2008, 05:00 PM
I believe that some things were perhaps fated to occur, depending on individuals but maybe that's just my freelance belief in karma XD. I think the concept itself exists and perhaps human stupidity and emotion get in the way of focus and attention and that might be what some people consider karma.

Destiny, not so much. I believe in soul mates, but not literally soul mates, just some people that you'll really like a lot exist XD. But you gotta make the effort to find 'um.

/Circa
September 27th, 2008, 01:04 AM
I believe we are all apart of the imagination of god, who needs people to mess around with and piss off, help other people survive dramatic injuries and others die horrible deaths for his amusement, so he see's what our emotions will tend to when this happens. Thats why life can be a ***** sometimes, cause god can be a ***** sometimes.

Hoppyfred
September 27th, 2008, 04:45 AM
Wow. The thread is thriving!!

@ Visual: So you think we're all just toys for 'God'? But God has no control over our emotions, only our actions? Do you think 'God' made you post on the thread?

@ Volkner's Apprentice: So you believe that sometimes there is Fate, but you don't believe ALL of out life is pre-destined? Who or what do you think decides our fate, if anything?

@ KLS 500: What is your view on fate? Are we destined to fufil our destiny or is it up to us? And are we being watched by a more powerful being?

@ Nanako Nanashima: So you think there is no such think as Fate? What makes human beings able to think of ideas? Do you believe in alternate dimensions or other forms of life on distant planets?

@ Tyranitar2: What do you think about the afterlife?

Any takers for joining the 'Meaning of Life' club?

Jorah
September 27th, 2008, 01:09 PM
I don't think there is a purpose for life in general. I believe you can believe to have your own purpose and goal in life (eg saving abandoned animals or something) but I do not believe there is a purpose for life in general.

txteclipse
September 27th, 2008, 01:36 PM
Yay! I get to be philosophical!

We forge our own purpose, our own destiny. We open certain doors, close others, walk through some, and leave the rest behind. What we do is ultimately our decision, but I think there are higher powers that work to guide our path (God and Satan, specifically), towards good and evil, respectively. We choose whether to listen to said powers or not, but the influence is always there.

Our purpose, then, comes down to one simple question: whom to listen to. Every action we take is our response to God and/or Satan's influence, and illuminates which one we are choosing to follow.

Lusankya
September 27th, 2008, 03:24 PM
I don't believe there is some overarching great Meaning of Life set for all of existence by some bearded hoojin in the sky. Life has no meaning, so the meaning of your life is whateveryou define it to be.

People shouldn't blame the terrible things they do, their sins, their mistakes, on some invisible evil demon out to ruin the world. Everything that you do, is done by you, and you alone. If God or Satan controlled all our actions and planned out all our lives, then there would be no reason to live, because you wouldn't have any free will, and you don't get to actually do anything, it's all done for you.

A Pixy
September 27th, 2008, 04:05 PM
My opinion is kinda religious but, it makes sense to me.

In Islam, god has a book that has everything we think, do and say is written in that book so, I guess my fate is already set in stone but for now, I have control. But god will always know.

Hoppyfred
September 28th, 2008, 12:38 AM
@ Mystery Treecko:
Is EVERYBODY's fate set out in stone, or is it just those who have been enlightened via Islam?

@ Lusankya: What IS life? Is it just living? Or is it just meaningless?

@ txteclipse: HOW do God and Satan interact with use? Is it little voices in our head? Or is it just a purely subconcious thing?

@ Jorah: What do you believe about God and Satan? Do we all make our choices unaided?

DeathlyHallows
September 28th, 2008, 01:00 AM
I believe that everyone has a role to play in life. An important role!
And I do believe in destiny.
Destiny is so well planned, that as we are fulfilling it, we feel that these are our decisions, our choices.
And whether u believe in destiny or not, everyone must know that they have an importance in life, a mission to do, and all they have to do is to figure that out!

Patchisou Yutohru
September 28th, 2008, 01:23 AM
I believe, and it's rather simple, that the meaning of life is to spend your life trying to find out what the meaning of life is to you. Aaaand that's pretty much it. Simple enough, eh? I don't think I have to type out paragraphs and paragraphs of my response if it's only a sentence, so...

Hoppyfred
September 28th, 2008, 01:55 AM
@ Patchiso Yutohru: What happens when you discover your purpose in life? Or are we never going to discover our meaning of life until we are on our death bed?

@ DeathlyHallows: Do we get ANY free will at all, or are we completely destined for every single thought, movement etc? So there is no such thing as free will, only the belief that you have free will? And are we all destined to discover our destinies?

Patchisou Yutohru
September 28th, 2008, 02:19 AM
@ Patchiso Yutohru: What happens when you discover your purpose in life? Or are we never going to discover our meaning of life until we are on our death bed?

Having not discovered my meaning of life, I haven't a clue. Perhaps asking someone who's already known what their meaning of life is.

Guillermo
September 28th, 2008, 02:22 AM
Every single person has a different meaning to life. It could be meeting someone new, perhaps a girlfriend/boyfriend, or just a mate. Everyone has a purpose, and when that is fulfilled that is when I personally think we die.

Every day there is an opportunity in front of you, most of us are too lazy to see it, or bother to care. But one day you will take that opportunity and that will be the path towards your meaning of life.

Hoppyfred
September 28th, 2008, 02:26 AM
@ *Dark* Master: When you say that we 'die', do you mean your soul 'dies'? If you fufil your purpose in life, do you get a new one?

Amachi
September 28th, 2008, 02:43 AM
Every single person has a different meaning to life. It could be meeting someone new, perhaps a girlfriend/boyfriend, or just a mate. Everyone has a purpose, and when that is fulfilled that is when I personally think we die.
Wait.

So we'll just... die after we fulfill our purpose in life, whatever that may be? Right.

Mr. Curling Iron
September 28th, 2008, 02:57 AM
We have no purpose in life... all we can do is wander with stubby little feet and hope for the best when faced with the many diseases and etc. that is developing in todays society. Nature... Is survival of the fittest... and we can already see that with the millions of people dieing from sickness and disease from micro organisims

DeathlyHallows
September 28th, 2008, 03:09 AM
Every single person has a role to fulfill before he/she dies!
Some people may be fulfilling their roles without even knowing it, and some people are still searching for it!
But we must believe that we were put on earth for a reason! An important one! Not just to watch TV and Eat!

Guillermo
September 28th, 2008, 03:13 AM
How am I supposed to know Hoppyfred. I am guessing so Amachi, it depends. I saw a movie that mentioned that, and I read it somewhere.

And also Hoppyfred, the 'soul' supposedly can't die.

DeathlyHallows
September 28th, 2008, 03:21 AM
Yes! One's body can be destroyed/decayed, but one's soul lives on!

Hoppyfred
September 28th, 2008, 04:31 AM
So "One's Soul" just floats around after you are dead? Do you keep your consciousness in your soul?

Thrace
September 28th, 2008, 06:10 AM
Yes! One's body can be destroyed/decayed, but one's soul lives on!
Lol, I think you just quoted Harry Potter. EDIT: I swear I didn't see your name before I wrote that. XD

Whats all this nonsense about souls? Souls exist in our imagination because of mans great fear death. Theres nothing after death, it is the end. There is no reason for anyone to be alive, you have to create your reason to live.

Master_Z
September 28th, 2008, 06:16 AM
Yes. The Bible tells us what the meaning of life is. If I find it, I'll update this post.

Thrace
September 28th, 2008, 06:28 AM
Yes. The Bible tells us what the meaning of life is. If I find it, I'll update this post.
I fully rofled in rl when I read that. Is discussing religion against the rules? Seems like it would be.

Working Class Hero
September 28th, 2008, 07:25 AM
The bible also says the sun orbits the earth, the earth is flat, and the earth has four corners. I guess if I try to go to Australia on a boat I will fall into space! D:

(Yes I am mocking and not seriously believing that will happen.)

Me being atheist, I believe there is no true, complex, "You are here to do great things!" universal meaning of life. You are not here for a reason. You create your own reason for life. My reason to life for me, to be successful. The meaning of life in a universal sense is to stay alive then die. :3

Hoppyfred
September 28th, 2008, 09:07 AM
The bible also says the sun orbits the earth, the earth is flat, and the earth has four corners. I guess if I try to go to Australia on a boat I will fall into space! D:

Me being atheist, I believe there is no true, complex, "You are here to do great things!" universal meaning of life. You are not here for a reason. You create your own reason for life. My reason to life for me, to be successful. The meaning of life in a universal sense is to stay alive then die. :3

You being atheist wouldn't have actually have read the Bible and therefore are just making an assumption based on what people presumably told you about the Bible.

BTW, if you were to go to Australia if the world WERE flat, you could always just go the other way to it...

DeathlyHallows
September 28th, 2008, 09:13 AM
Lol, I think you just quoted Harry Potter. EDIT: I swear I didn't see your name before I wrote that. XD

Whats all this nonsense about souls? Souls exist in our imagination because of mans great fear death. Theres nothing after death, it is the end. There is no reason for anyone to be alive, you have to create your reason to live.

So, u don't believe in the afterlife!
Personally, I do believe in the afterlife,
life is merely a short passageway, it is after Death that eternal life begins!
A life of peace where no enmity or quarrel occurs!

Tyranitar2
September 28th, 2008, 09:23 AM
[quote=Hoppyfred;3976133]Wow. The thread is thriving!!

@ Tyranitar2: What do you think about the afterlife?

I dont know i just dont know i often wonder what it is like to die any1 got ne ideas

Hoppyfred
September 28th, 2008, 09:24 AM
Does EVERYBODY get into this 'eternal life'? Even 'sinners'? Or is it like 'Heaven and Hell'?

@ Tyranitar2: Ah! There you are! As Vice-President / Club Lunatic, you're meant to show up more often!!!

-.-"

Patchisou Yutohru
September 28th, 2008, 09:26 AM
Does EVERYBODY get into this 'eternal life'? Even 'sinners'? Or is it like 'Heaven and Hell'?

How is anyone supposed to know the answer to this question? Last I checked, everyone of us are living flesh. Perhaps discussing eternal life with your pastor? :/

DeathlyHallows
September 28th, 2008, 09:27 AM
I think it's gonna be heaven and Hell!!

Tyranitar2
September 28th, 2008, 09:37 AM

@ Tyranitar2: Ah! There you are! As Vice-President / Club Lunatic, you're meant to show up more often!!!

-.-"
Hello "Club Lunatic" what dont u get about that i'm freaking crazy but anyway I just want to be able to keep living as such even if i cant interact with "The living" you know what i mean any1

Hoppyfred
September 28th, 2008, 09:40 AM
...to be honest, Tyranitar2, no, I do not know.

@ Patchisou Yutohru: I am just fufilling my duty enlighten people by making them think!

EDIT: @ Patchisou Yutohru: BTW, I am not a religious person!

Patchisou Yutohru
September 28th, 2008, 09:43 AM
...to be honest, Tyranitar2, no, I do not know.

@ Patchisou Yutohru: I am just fufilling my duty enlighten people by making them think!

EDIT: @ Patchisou Yutohru: BTW, I am not a religious person!

You're a thirteen year old boy, not a college professor. Sometimes the reason people go online is so they get away from having to think so much.

Then ask someone else. From what you're asking of many other people, it seems like you're interested in religion in one way or another. After all, depending upon your religion, you may see this thread differently than others. Besides, it's not like you have to be a religious person to get input from a pastor.

Cassino
September 28th, 2008, 10:02 AM
So you think there is no such think as Fate?
If you mean like destiny, no.

What makes human beings able to think of ideas?
Evolution. There were at times many more species of human, so we're not really some kind of odd one out (though I'll admit then it could be said we're the odd genus out). I'd throw you a list of species in the **** genus but PC's censoring system kills the URL, as well as this sentence. :(

Do you believe in alternate dimensions or other forms of life on distant planets?
Other dimensions:
1-dimensional — line
2-dimensional — square
3-dimensional — cube
4-dimensional — tesseract (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesseract)
However, 'other dimensions' in the sense of other universes I'm unsure about. Unless someone manages to go past the event horizon and come back, I'll remain unsure.

Life on other planets: yes; I should think most of it will be unintelligent however, which is just as well given how humans tend to act without precognition.

A Pixy
September 28th, 2008, 10:12 AM
@ Mystery Treecko:
Is EVERYBODY's fate set out in stone, or is it just those who have been enlightened via Islam?

Yes, everyone's. Muslim or not.

sims796
September 28th, 2008, 10:16 AM
I am a religious person, and even I find this thread wacky. Too many theories that makes no sense. You wanna knowthe meaning of life? Figure it yourself.

Yeah, mock religion. That makes you look very cool. It shows you are open minded, and respectful of others!

(Yes, I am mocking and not seriously believing that is true.)

Lusankya
September 28th, 2008, 10:20 AM
@ Lusankya: What IS life? Is it just living? Or is it just meaningless?

Life is the act of living. Beyond that, I can't really give you a better explanation xD. Life has a somewhat elusive definition, we all must decided ourselves what is living and non-living. For our time, this is quite simple, but in the future where there are AIs that are every bit as intelligent as we are, the definition may become quite more difficult to reach a consensus on.

Superstring (or M) theory states that there are an infinite number of parallel universes in which everything that can happen does happen. So imagine, there's a universe out there where Pokemon, Star Wars, etc. are real...

As for life on other worlds, the universe is so incredibly vast that to believe we live on the only planet capable of supporting life is the height of foolishness. There are trillions upon trillions upon trillions of other planets out there, the chances of there being only a single world to have any property is insignificantly small.

You shouldn't really be talking about being open-minded, sims796...

And again, if all our fates are decided, then what's the point of existence? You don't do anything. Everything's decided for you. Why would you even want to live like that?

sims796
September 28th, 2008, 10:25 AM
You shouldn't really be talking about being open-minded, sims796...

And again, if all our fates are decided, then what's the point of existence? You don't do anything. Everything's decided for you. Why would you even want to live like that?

Yeah. Have another look at my posts, and try understanding. I don't think I ever said that our fates are pre-determined. Hell, nnot a sentence in that post even sound close to it. I said if he wants to know the meaning,you must figure it for yourself.

And unlike him, I am not making fun of others believe, so how am I at fault again?

Hoppyfred
September 28th, 2008, 10:44 AM
When I made this thread, I was bored. I'll be blunt.

I do not want any sacrilege or alike. Please refrain from posting if it is only to mock over people's beliefs.

I am not indicating ANYBODY, please DO NOT post saying "I'm not being sacreligious!"

I never said you were! I am merely taking a precaution because I do not want my thread to be cited as the start of a flame war.

EDIT: On the upside, I am glad everybody is being so philosophical!

Patchisou Yutohru
September 28th, 2008, 10:52 AM
I never said you were! I am merely taking a precaution because I do not want my thread to be cited as the start of a flame war.

Having quoted Lusankya in his post, I don't believe that Sims796 was saying that you were the one who was making fun of other people's beliefs on this subject. After all, you're one of the people, having started this thread, that are making this subject to continue to go on and not die out by sparking discussion and asking questions related to the subject at hand.

Confuse
September 28th, 2008, 10:53 AM
The meaning of life is to find someone you love, to marry and to spend the rest of your life with.

Guys, if you don't have a lady to love, what's the point?

I don't see one.

Patchisou Yutohru
September 28th, 2008, 10:55 AM
The meaning of life is to find someone you love, to marry and to spend the rest of your life with.

I don't see one.

Though I understand where you're coming from, and agree with you that love is one of the main thrives in life, what's loving someone who may not love you back? I believe you mean to find someone who cares about you as much as you care about them. Am I correct?

Cassino
September 28th, 2008, 11:01 AM
There isn't a point either way, as I see it.

Confuse
September 28th, 2008, 11:03 AM
I believe you mean to find someone who cares about you as much as you care about them. Am I correct?

Exactly correct. Thanks for clearing that up, Patchisou.

That's just my opinion. I don't want a verbal argument with anyone.

sims796
September 28th, 2008, 11:05 AM
Having quoted Lusankya in his post, I don't believe that Sims796 was saying that you were the one who was making fun of other people's beliefs on this subject. After all, you're one of the people, having started this thread, that are making this subject to continue to go on and not die out by sparking discussion and asking questions related to the subject at hand.

Sorry, Hoppy, he is right. I am only talking about the people I quoted, not you. I quoted two people, so don't worry. I know that not all non believers are bad, so don't you worry.

txteclipse
September 28th, 2008, 11:13 AM
@ txteclipse: HOW do God and Satan interact with use? Is it little voices in our head? Or is it just a purely subconcious thing?

You've probably experienced it yourself. It's most recognizable when you're about to do something that you know is bad, and you have a miniature war in your mind between your conscience and your desire to do the thing anyways. Two influences for two very different purposes, each caused by one of two beings with clashing motives.

An easier way to think about it is usually "Satan's way feels good now, hurts later. God's way hurts now, is better for you in the long run."

Capitalize names of books.

These ideas stem from a poor understanding of the Biblical text, as well as a bit of passage domineering during the Middle Ages. I believe that someone in the past decided that since humans are God's favorite creation, the Earth would be in the center of the universe. This is obviously untrue, and has no scriptural basis. I think it's awesome that God would make the universe in a way that defies humanity's sense of organization.

The earth being flat also has no scriptural basis, nor does the four corners argument. The latter one comes from verses that include a line to the effect of "the four corners of the earth." This is simply referring to north, south, east, and west, not actual physical corners.

Hoppyfred
September 28th, 2008, 11:45 AM
Sorry, Hoppy, he is right. I am only talking about the people I quoted, not you. I quoted two people, so don't worry. I know that not all non believers are bad, so don't you worry.

I don't mean to sound arrogant, but I never thought you were talking about me! I was just trying to intervene between anybody getting their beliefs hurt. I'm touched that you are trying to comfort me, but their is no need.

Back on topic, what does everybody think about 'Reincarnation'?

sims796
September 28th, 2008, 12:06 PM
No harm done.

I have a "wait & see" prospect on reincarnation.

Hoppyfred
September 28th, 2008, 12:08 PM
If Reincarnation existed, do you think what we do in this life will affect how we are reincarnated?

sims796
September 28th, 2008, 12:11 PM
Not to bring up religion, but I think their is an entire belief system on Reincarnation. Hinduism? Budaism? Did I even spell it right?

Well, if I have any understanding on that, they say that actions from the previous life affects the next life you take.

According from Apu in The Simpsons, he was once a Rabbit.

Aurafire
September 28th, 2008, 03:36 PM
I agree with sims, why does there only have to be one meaning of life? Why can't each of us believe what we want to believe? Honestly, if there really is a universal meaning to life as we know it, it's still a question that is way too big to have legitimate answers, so we're left to wonder. Those that absolutely need answers to this question believe what they want to believe, mostly through religion and personal outlooks on life.

I choose not to trouble myself with pondering how the universe was created or when time actually began, because we will probably never know the answers to these questions. Now if we're talking about human life and where it came from, evolution is the obvious answer. But as for the "meaning of life", to each his own I suppose.

Tyranitar2
September 29th, 2008, 11:32 AM
If Reincarnation existed, do you think what we do in this life will affect how we are reincarnated?
This thread is really in depth. In my opinoin its all about opinions (Ironically). i live by the simple principal: You only get 1 life Enjoy It

Pokehero22
September 29th, 2008, 12:56 PM
Well, I think the meaning of life is just to have fun, I mean, you only get one life right?

But, the Scientific meaning of life is just to reproduce. For animals of course.

Hmm... The meaning of life is just to try to get as good of an education as you can.

Lusankya
September 29th, 2008, 01:41 PM
I personally don't believe in reincarnation, because if it were true, then a declining or growing world population would be very hard to explain numerically. Although, I suppose magic doesn't have to follow logical rules, now, does it?

sims796
September 29th, 2008, 01:46 PM
I think it goes beyond "magic". And it's much more iin-depth than the way you've explained it. I don't know enough to give a lecture, but I believe that the process of reicarnation is done until the soul "reuinites with the world". A very peaceful religion. And, as I (and Apu) said, you will be reincarnated into different lives. Be it human, rabbit, tree, etc. If you want more info on reincarnation, look up its religion.

˚° ﺎ ﮟ סּ ﻛ °˚
September 29th, 2008, 01:53 PM
the meaning of life is

spring rolls and onion

Hoppyfred
September 30th, 2008, 09:28 AM
Yeah, I just KNEW somebody would say the 42 thing...

Which is why I put it in the banner...I hoped people would see that...

:/

Anyway, back onto topic...

If you were reincarnated as a tree, would you be able to think and feel emotions? So if somebody were cutting you down, you would be in torturous pain?

And @ Lusankya: If you could be reincarnated as flies and whatnot, that would explain the variation in human population.

sims796
September 30th, 2008, 09:35 AM
Oh for God's sake, this is getting out of hand. If ya wanna know more about it, go look up the corresponding religion. I dont understand (or care) enough to really tell you more about it, unfortunately.

Now I've spoken about my views on the Meaning of Life (this is the third thread about this, I'm surprised it lasted so long; others are closed early for some reason), and how that is up to the individual. No real answer can be given, so as I said, figure it out for yourself.

Patchisou Yutohru
September 30th, 2008, 09:40 AM
Anyway, back onto topic...

If you were reincarnated as a tree, would you be able to think and feel emotions? So if somebody were cutting you down, you would be in torturous pain?

:| Um, what's up with that question? That's extremely strange to ask someone.

Well, I suppose I'll answer it:
Having been a tree in my past life, I'm afraid I felt nothing when that ugly fat man came to cut me down and used my branches for firewood.

Hoppyfred
September 30th, 2008, 09:48 AM

Having had an RS lesson today, I came back to this thread invigorated.

Silly me.

If you aren't enthusiastic, please do not waste your time posting here. Please post if this actually interests you, and you aren't just going to tell me to find out the meaning of life myself.

I AM NOT INTERESTED IN THE MEANING OF LIFE, WHAT I AM INTERESTED IS EVERYBODY ELSE'S OPINION ON THE MATTER!!!

Heck, meaning no disrespect, if I was interested in the meaning of life, I probably would found my own religion.

-.-

Gah.

Patchisou Yutohru
September 30th, 2008, 09:52 AM
Not to start an argument here or anything, but by creating this thread it shows that you are interested in not just everyone else's opinions, but the subject itself.

Tyranitar2
September 30th, 2008, 10:08 AM

Heck, meaning no disrespect, if I was interested in the meaning of life, I probably would found my own religion.

-.-

Gah.

Wel if thats the case explain this religion to me im Atheist so im free. XD

Hoppyfred
September 30th, 2008, 10:16 AM
It's unclear if you are joking or not...

Lol.

I'll just assume you're joking.

Tyranitar2
September 30th, 2008, 10:44 AM
It's unclear if you are joking or not...

Lol.

I'll just assume you're joking.

Did you not c mr laughing person. XD
If your still unclear i am joking

sims796
September 30th, 2008, 10:48 AM
Um, yeah. That was aimmed at everyone as an individual, not just you. Meaning, everyone must find their own meaning of life.

Sersiously. I strongly agree with Patchisou Yutohru on this one. If you aren't interested in the subject, and just in the opinions of others, then put this in the voting poll, not in the discussions thread, as their is no discussion. Dont bring up any other topics, such as reincarnation, as that is its own discussion, and its own religion, even.

Hoppyfred
September 30th, 2008, 11:01 AM
Did you not c mr laughing person. XD
If your still unclear i am joking

You are? Gee, I would never have guessed...

Okay, Mod.s, close this thread then. The enthusiasm from the others has slowly thinned out...and besides, I have a new idea for a fun thread...

The 'Pick a Number between One and Ten' thread!

^^

Coming soon to a PC (as in BOTH PokeCommunity and Personal Computer! Yay, bad puns! ^^) near you!

Patchisou Yutohru
September 30th, 2008, 11:18 AM
The enthusiasm from the others has slowly thinned out...

I felt rather compelled to reply to this: I'm sorry, I don't see how the enthusiasm is thinning when you're asking questions that are drifting into religion. Usually when someone gets into the topic of religion, people aren't going to be sharing their views as much as when it's something such as a simple question because they are really rather personal compared to, as said, a simple question. Along with that, you see how people react when someone disagrees with them. Sims posted about this in the post your problems thread, I believe, at how some people just don't respect the views of religion around here with others.

Hoppyfred
September 30th, 2008, 11:22 AM
Meh, well, to be honest, I am more excited about my other idea...

^^

And I've kinda just lost enthusiasm for this as well...

-.-

But don't worry, I will resurrect this some time in the future.

sims796
September 30th, 2008, 11:31 AM
I felt rather compelled to reply to this: I'm sorry, I don't see how the enthusiasm is thinning when you're asking questions that are drifting into religion. Usually when someone gets into the topic of religion, people aren't going to be sharing their views as much as when it's something such as a simple question because they are really rather personal compared to, as said, a simple question. Along with that, you see how people react when someone disagrees with them. Sims posted about this in the post your problems thread, I believe, at how some people just don't respect the views of religion around here with others.

I somewhat agree, but disagree. While I agree with everything that you said, I think that the enthusiasm died because there was no real discussion to begin with. Everyone has already giving their "I think the meaning of life is..." or "there is no meaning of life because...". No real discussion, and no real topic. Bad enough the thread started difting from the original topic. And there is a voting poll on top.

Hoppyfred
September 30th, 2008, 11:57 AM
Seriously though, I don't think you are, but don't blame yourselves (fully :P)

I am just bored of this now...

And I am much more excited about over things now!

EDIT: Ahaha...

A Mod. closed my thread on picking random numbers. So much for that.

Chibi-chan
September 30th, 2008, 12:42 PM
So...do you want this thread closed or not o3o

Hoppyfred
September 30th, 2008, 12:44 PM
Yes please, Chibi-chan.

Sorry for confusing you...

Pilgrim Soul
October 6th, 2008, 07:06 PM
Personally I believe life is wonderful and my mission in life is to search, I don't mean for girlfriends and nonsense like that. True love waits. I mean going into space above all else and exploring my mind.

Gymnotide
October 6th, 2008, 07:17 PM
The meaning of life is to kiss a boy and like it.

Conman
October 6th, 2008, 07:52 PM
Life serves no reason or purpose, yet all seek to live a long one. You Live, Learn, and Die is what I go by. Living is Dying, and Dying is Dead is also a good one.

Azzurra
October 7th, 2008, 01:16 AM
The meaning of life is basically to populate the Earth, there is nothing else to it, really.

י
October 7th, 2008, 01:57 AM
The meaning of life is whatever we make it out to be..

There are too many different reasons for us all to agree on one reason.

Thus, life is multi-purposed, yet humans try to give it one meaning...

Brien
October 7th, 2008, 02:44 AM
before you answer your question, it is more important to answer a more broad question

Is their a god?
Can you prove he exists?
If I say a giant invisible turnip exists, can you disprove it?
What are the odds that your god is more existant than the other 1000's?
Who would win in an ou match, 6 ev trained caterpies or 6 ev trained luvdiscs?

sims796
October 7th, 2008, 04:53 AM
before you answer your question, it is more important to answer a more broad question

Is their a god?
Can you prove he exists?
If I say a giant invisible turnip exists, can you disprove it?
What are the odds that your god is more existant than the other 1000's?
Who would win in an ou match, 6 ev trained caterpies or 6 ev trained luvdiscs?

This the dumbest thing I have ever heard, that is both disrespectful to religion, ignorant on how religion works, and has nothing to do with thee topic. It is a poor attempt to turn this into a debate thread, and using flawed arguments that shows you have no understanding on anything. Can't make an argument on something on something you don't understand. As he said, this is not a religion thread, so don't be the fool and try to argue it here.

Dusclord
October 7th, 2008, 08:21 AM
We all are primates, so our life's meaning is the same as the apes'... the only difference is that we have got superior adaptability skills to them (we've got thumbs too haha loooool, funny...), but for every animal, the life purpose is to bother the other ones, and then, die. Humans are animals, so there's no reason to get it otherwise.

txteclipse
October 7th, 2008, 08:27 AM
Personally I believe life is wonderful and my mission in life is to search, I don't mean for girlfriends and nonsense like that. True love waits. I mean going into space above all else and exploring my mind.

I can agree with this. I feel compelled to do the same, although in slightly different ways. I think an integral part of life is enjoying the world (and universe, as it were) around us, never ceasing to be amazed and inspired by the beauty of things.

Gold warehouse
October 7th, 2008, 08:32 AM
The meaning of life is to achieve enlightenment and at your death bed, to feel that your life was worth living. I don't think there is anything after death, although I think rebirth is the most plausible.

Hoppyfred
October 7th, 2008, 08:59 AM
Okay...so many posts in one day...

I'm half glad Chibi-Chan didn't lock this thread...

So, Chibi-Chan, I don't MIND if you lock the thread, but to be honest now, I'd rather you not...:P

Just one post bothers me...

@ Blazeflare: That's ALL you think there is to life? That's IT?! Meh...what's the point of that? So there's no point in all the luxuries of life, you may as well just make children and then just die?

Eon-Rider
October 7th, 2008, 09:07 AM
http://i33.tinypic.com/2hh3cir.jpg

I personally believe life is pointless and there's nothing to it. We'll only find out if there really was a point (which I doubt) when we're dead or whatever comes after life. That is why I never take anything in life seriously most likely. I feel that everyone who believes life has a point is an imbecile.

I'll just shut up now before I say something stupid.

Gold warehouse
October 7th, 2008, 10:24 AM
I feel that everyone who believes life has a point is an imbecile.

Thats not fair, what is the point of living life if you don't even think there is a point too it? Everyone has to believe something even if its just some last desperate attempt to hang on to some reason to live.

txteclipse
October 7th, 2008, 12:02 PM
I'll just shut up now before I say something stupid.

You already did, unfortunately. Your very existence has an impact on the universe, which means that you have a point.

Let me put it this way: think of a rock. A rock's point is to sit there and look pretty, or to fall in a landslide, or to be thrown at someone. The purpose of the rock changes depending on what it does and what others do with it.

Now think of the rock in terms of yourself. You can actually recognize the purpose of the rock, or the potential purposes, as it were. What you do with that ability makes up a tiny portion of your point, of your purpose. If you bash someone over the head with the rock, your purpose in that instant is to be a jerk. If you carve the rock into a beautiful sculpture, your purpose at that time is to be artistic. You're defining yourself with the actions you take (or don't take) concerning the changes you can (or even can't) make.

That's part of the reason I say people define their purpose with the actions they take. And if you want to get really deep, I'll tell you that you have absolute control over your purpose, as well. It's all in what you do, how you decide to use your knowledge of change to influence the things around you.

Lusankya
October 7th, 2008, 12:39 PM
Well, there's two types of points here: There's a great, overarching Point In The Sky of the meaning of Life (with a capital L) itself, and then there's the point of your, individual, lowercase "l" life. I don't believe there's a such thing as the former (being both an atheist and a cynic) but I do believe that the purpose of your individual lives is whatever you want it to be. As txteclipse said, your purpose is whatever you define it to be.

txteclipse
October 7th, 2008, 03:10 PM
Well, there's two types of points here: There's a great, overarching Point In The Sky of the meaning of Life (with a capital L) itself, and then there's the point of your, individual, lowercase "l" life. I don't believe there's a such thing as the former (being both an atheist and a cynic) but I do believe that the purpose of your individual lives is whatever you want it to be. As txteclipse said, your purpose is whatever you define it to be.

Building off of this, (and to define another view) some people, such as myself, choose to align our actions with a purpose we believe is assigned to us by our creator, or a higher force. I.E., we believe our purpose coincides with the "over-arching purpose" Lusankya mentioned.

Obviously, not everyone thinks this way, but again, this is a thread of opinions. In that light, you don't have to agree with us, but you sure as heck better not come in here calling us imbeciles.

Pilgrim Soul
October 7th, 2008, 03:47 PM
The meaning of life is to achieve enlightenment and at your death bed, to feel that your life was worth living. I don't think there is anything after death, although I think rebirth is the most plausible.

Can I just compliment you on this exceptional post and state that I agree. "The circumstances of one’s birth are irrelevant it’s what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are."

Lusankya
October 7th, 2008, 03:55 PM
Alas, so few ever feel so. To feel satisfied with your life when you know you'll never be able to do anything else is a tough accomplishment indeed, and I applaud anyone who's done so. Unless they're just idiots who never do anything but are content with it.

Trap-Eds
October 7th, 2008, 09:40 PM
I think the meaning of life is, to live your life to the fullest and do everything you want or need to do before you die.

ShadowDeeps
October 8th, 2008, 05:12 PM
I'm going out on a limb and breaking away - and I'm going to say that it's beyond a meaning, and thereby, any one worldly notion humans could divulge or would be impeded to. If we could fathom it, that would be pretty lame to me. It's asking something that's wholly beyond us and even wholly beyond a galactic or even universal scale. And I'm glad that it's as such - it makes it that much more mysterious the notion. It's like asking "how can I know if this is real or not"? when "real" is just a word humans have conceived (or, rather, something life on this level adheres to) and are bounded to (IMO), needing it with every action because if isn't as simple as being "real" or not, it can't be figured out. As younger folk any curiosity may have escaped us as we tried to ascend to our goals and culminations, but whether we live or die, such questions remain. Yet are the answers as simple as answers? Same goes with the meaning of life by my eyes - a conundrum - that we don't have words nor answers for something that's beyond the gray matter it's discussed upon in and yet we're still try to figure out. What we speak of is beyond words, and yet we feel it and yet don't have words for it. There's bitter irony in that.

Lusankya
October 8th, 2008, 05:19 PM
I'm going out on a limb and breaking away - and I'm going to say that it's beyond a meaning, and thereby, any one worldly notion humans could divulge or would be impeded to. If we could fathom it, that would be pretty lame to me. It's asking something that's wholly beyond us and even wholly beyond a galactic or even universal scale. And I'm glad that it's as such - it makes it that much more mysterious the notion. It's like asking "how can I know if this is real or not"? when "real" is just a word humans have conceived (or, rather, something life on this level adheres to) and are bounded to (IMO), needing it with every action because if isn't as simple as being "real" or not, it can't be figured out. As younger folk any curiosity may have escaped us as we tried to ascend to our goals and culminations, but whether we live or die, such questions remain. Yet are the answers as simple as answers? Same goes with the meaning of life by my eyes - a conundrum - that we don't have words nor answers for something that's beyond the gray matter it's discussed upon in and yet we're still try to figure out. What we speak of is beyond words, and yet we feel it and yet don't have words for it. There's bitter irony in that.

I am going to try and sum all that up in a single sentence: You believe that there is a meaning to life, but that it beyond human comprehension. Is this correct, or no?

Michii
October 8th, 2008, 05:49 PM
The meaning of life is simply to live. There is, and will never be, a true meaning to life, as we all have completely different views and lifestyles. So, it's just to live. We're here on this Earth. Boom. Make what you want of it.

Gold warehouse
October 9th, 2008, 08:58 AM
The meaning of life is simply to live. There is, and will never be, a true meaning to life, as we all have completely different views and lifestyles. So, it's just to live. We're here on this Earth. Boom. Make what you want of it.

There is that aswell.
The topic isn't that clear, it could mean what is the meaning of your life, or what is the meaning of all life

Hoppyfred
October 9th, 2008, 09:11 AM
To be honest, primarily, I intented the topic to be 'What do YOU think the Meaning of Life is?' But either topic is fine really.

SamuraiMaster
October 9th, 2008, 12:43 PM
My view of life is very broad and changes constantly.

As a Christian, I do say that every individual has a purpose in life.
Like I believe God put me in this hell hole for one reason only...to drum.

But also I use lyrical phrases to decribe life.
Examples:

Birth is pain
Life is pain
Death is pain
It's all the same

Yesterday's dreams are tomorrows sighs

Life it seems to fade away...drifting further every day

Keep praying, just keep waiting
Waiting for the one / the day that never comes
Stand up and feel the warmth / but the sunshine never comes
No the sun shine never comes...

Like I said, it's always changing in me.

Sounds
October 9th, 2008, 01:03 PM
hmmm...the meaning of life is always different from one point of view to another,i believe that everyone has different purposes in life.

Conman
October 9th, 2008, 01:14 PM
I feel the actual topic question could have been better. I'm sure "Why do you want/choose live?" would have been a more interesting question. When Vendak responded to Eon, I instantly thought of that question. Mainly because my response to Vendak would have been:
There is no true reason to live. People live for many different reasons. Some fear death, some want to accomplish something, some may feel death is boring and life is exciting, or maybe some just live cause they can.

----------------
Listening to: Plain White T's - Come Back To Me (http://www.foxytunes.com/artist/plain+white+ts/track/come+back+to+me)
via FoxyTunes (http://www.foxytunes.com/signatunes/)

Katnip
October 9th, 2008, 02:12 PM
The meaning of life is forty-two!
...No, I'm just kidding. I doubt anyone will get the joke, anyways.

I don't think life has a meaning, because you're supposed to give it meaning.

Lusankya
October 9th, 2008, 02:25 PM
Are you kidding me? How can anyone not get that joke? :) 42 = The meaning of Life, the Universe, and Everything. Google Calculator says so.

Bludycomicsinc
October 9th, 2008, 02:27 PM
The meaning of life has to be......Chocolate.People need more chocolate.

pokelover980
October 9th, 2008, 02:30 PM
Everyone's purpose is the same. The meaning of life is to find the meaning of life, meaning there is no meaning of life!

Lusankya
October 9th, 2008, 02:48 PM
If I were a computer, then that would send me into a logic loop. If the meaning of life is to find the meaning of life, then one would already have found the meaning of life. If there is no meaning of life, then you can't find the meaning of life because it doesn't exist. But since the meaning of life is to find the meaning of life, then it does exist. But since one has already found the meaning of life...

Gold warehouse
October 10th, 2008, 07:26 AM
I feel the actual topic question could have been better. I'm sure "Why do you want/choose live?" would have been a more interesting question. When Vendak responded to Eon, I instantly thought of that question. Mainly because my response to Vendak would have been:

There is no true reason to live. People live for many different reasons. Some fear death, some want to accomplish something, some may feel death is boring and life is exciting, or maybe some just live cause they can.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean.

Hoppyfred
October 10th, 2008, 09:32 AM
The meaning of life is forty-two!
...No, I'm just kidding. I doubt anyone will get the joke, anyways.

I don't think life has a meaning, because you're supposed to give it meaning.

Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy?

<Smirk Smug>

@ People in General: Please don't criticise the thread topic...it doesn't need to be perfect...

And @ Conman: Don't you mean 'Why do you want / choose life?' Why do you want live and Why do you choose live don't make sense...don't criticise my thread topic when I understand it isn't perfect and yours don't make sense anyway...

And also, your response would still (to my belief) fit in with the topic...

Gold warehouse
October 10th, 2008, 10:05 AM
Criticism isn't a bad thing unless it's put across harshly, just making a point.

Conman
October 10th, 2008, 12:25 PM
Criticism isn't a bad thing unless it's put across harshly, just making a point.
Basically I mean, there is no real reason to live. So people live because they want to for whatever purpose.

Hoppyfred
October 10th, 2008, 12:31 PM
Basically I mean, there is no real reason to live. So people live because they want to for whatever purpose.

That's what you said before, wasn't it?

Or maybe I'm going mad...

:P

Gumball Watterson
October 11th, 2008, 06:21 AM
Has anyone ever said 42 yet?

If it takes 42 Oxygen molecules to make one area of DNA, and if your neighborhood has 42 people, and if your heart has a surface area of 42cm^2?

The meaning of life is 42. And I bet Stephen Hawking will prove it.

Gold warehouse
October 11th, 2008, 07:11 AM
Has anyone ever said 42 yet?

Unfortunatly yes :tired: and how can life's purpose be based on human made measurements

kohei
October 11th, 2008, 07:23 AM
I thought the answer to life, the universe, and everything was 42.

ShadowDeeps
October 13th, 2008, 01:00 AM
I am going to try and sum all that up in a single sentence: You believe that there is a meaning to life, but that it beyond human comprehension. Is this correct, or no?In a way. I would say that it's beyond any one worldly notion, and that may compound meaning. Thing is, from what I can garner, so many consider "meaning" essential to their lives without considering that a meaning may be a reason to live as much as it is to not live - it's our choice to assign meaning and to thereby determine our actions. Our emotions, or at least the places from which they stem, are inseperable in my eyes (at least, in one way to another - they can be seperated in more obvious accounts), and what we choose to do with our emotions in this sulking yet effusive world is just that - rather up to us. We can by volition allow ourselves to rely upon some intangible and unknown deity or just release and rely upon ourselves - not any one given nature, but being before meaning and essence. Or, rather, finding spiritual structure through inner reflection rather than the supernatural. In my opinion, how we find meaning in life is more or less up to us and not up to any one consensus or omnipotent overseer if that be so.

And since I see it as up to one, I myself simply choose to say that if humans haven't figured it out and have this amalgamation of wordly notions to use and only those things, that it may be beyond something we could link together or fathom. "Meaning" is indeed a term conceived by life on this level. It might not be as simple as something we could discern.

Bleuhorn
October 13th, 2008, 03:24 AM
The meaning of life... Does everyone have a purpose? Yes. To the simpletons, it's to choose what you believe is right or wrong, to fufill the obvious.

However, to me, life is a non-stop, fleeting dream. In life, we spontaneously inherit one another's genetics from our past incarnations. The born rule is to portray what you discover in life and if given it has a description, you would adapt to the unconscious world we live in by expirementing each other on the conscious level of vibration. But for some, known as complete ingeniuses, see life on a higher plain of actual conciousness that is merely suppressed by the average traits of humankind, as it is seen un-fit because of rejection of new ideas/fearing for naught, impostors, dictations... this is the reason that only 3.0% truly ascend to heaven. Inspiration, rhythm, beauty... these all define life for it is not a mystery, it is a familiar mystery that you shall not abuse. Life is a graceful sequence composed by your vitals, your temple, your feelings and it's a privelge to dream, you're ever invited. God gave you this right to flourish and pass your graceful seed to the next generation. Don't let society tell you to be ashamed nor dictate upon your rights as a free thinking expirement but yet do not be dumbfounded by impostors. We are all one consciousness and God is in us and will always be everything.

Sky Hawk
October 13th, 2008, 06:21 AM
the meaning of life
rotflolxlolz

Yamikarasu
October 13th, 2008, 06:28 AM
I'm just going to say there isn't a meaning to anything at all unless you give it a meaning. What meaning you happen to give it is up to you.

Hoppyfred
October 13th, 2008, 07:56 AM
the meaning of life
rotflolxlolz

I'm sorry? I don't speak l337. I get the 'lol' bit...

Hang on...I think I'm on the right track here...

R olling
O n
T he
F loor
L aughing
O ut
L oud
X (Haven't worked out this bit yet)
L aughing
O ut
L oud
Z (Just there for pointless meaning)

Are you saying that's the meaning of life or are you just laughing at the topic? I can't tell :P

I am so chuffed that I worked that out though, I know some of you may thing it's not hard, but when I looked at that first, it just looked like a random collection of letters to me :P

Mewcario
October 13th, 2008, 07:58 AM
The meaning of life is chicken nuggets lol :P

Gold warehouse
October 13th, 2008, 08:00 AM
Think this topic has run its course, it's just attracting spam now.

.Iramet
October 15th, 2008, 01:36 PM
Well I don't know about you guys but I think I was born because my mom and dad were getting a little frisky.
XD
And I think my purpose is to enjoy my life to the fullest and to achieve my goal of owning my own apartment/house, having a job in the computer support field(which I am already working towards by going to a technical high school and taking computer programming and web development) and meeting the girl of my dreams(but I think I have already fulfilled that because I have been dating Steph for about 2 and a half years now and we talk about having are own apartment together).
^_^

Hoppyfred
October 16th, 2008, 10:14 AM
The meaning of life is chicken nuggets lol :P

...Well, you could have chosen worse I suppose...

Maybe Mewcario seriously believes Chicken Nuggets = the Meaning of Life? You shouldn't be jumping to conclusions, even if they are rational.

@ emoakt: Good for you! (Not being sarcastic here).

Patchisou Yutohru
October 16th, 2008, 11:08 AM
Well I don't know about you guys but I think I was born because my mom and dad were getting a little frisky.
XD
And I think my purpose is to enjoy my life to the fullest and to achieve my goal of owning my own apartment/house, having a job in the computer support field(which I am already working towards by going to a technical high school and taking computer programming and web development) and meeting the girl of my dreams(but I think I have already fulfilled that because I have been dating Steph for about 2 and a half years now and we talk about having are own apartment together).
^_^

That's probably both the greatest reply I've seen to this thread and one of the most inspirational statements I've seen in a very long time.

Cassino
October 16th, 2008, 11:09 AM
the meaning of life
rotflolxlolz
YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG. The meaning of life is fgsfds.

True.

Oh wait...

So guys, have you come to a conclusion with life's meaning? Or was this more of a show-and-tell of opinions than a debate...

devilicious
October 16th, 2008, 11:15 AM
Life is like a tube of toothpaste. We use it to the last bit for sure.

And yes, this is a quite obscure manga reference.

Hoppyfred
October 16th, 2008, 11:49 AM
YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG. The meaning of life is fgsfds.

AAAAH!!!! All this boggles me!

So guys, have you come to a conclusion with life's meaning? Or was this more of a show-and-tell of opinions than a debate...

Intended to be show-and-tell, but most people don't seem to get that...how can I make it clearer?

Life is like a tube of toothpaste. We use it to the last bit for sure.

And yes, this is a quite obscure manga reference.

Right. *flicks through nearest manga comic* Oh wait, I don't have any. Wait a sec...*runs upstairs and rifles through cupboard* Ooh, the Electric Tale of Pikacu! *flicks through it*

Not in there. :/

Mind telling the manga-retarded of us (ie me) what that exactly means? When you get to the end of the toothpaste, are you dead?

devilicious
October 16th, 2008, 11:55 AM
It means that you must live life to your fullest, not letting anything go to waste.

You didn't need to know anything about the manga. Just a little of philosophy would be enough. ♥

.Iramet
October 19th, 2008, 07:39 AM
That's probably both the greatest reply I've seen to this thread and one of the most inspirational statements I've seen in a very long time.
Really?!?
Wow I'm happy I have inspired someone!
Thanks for that you just brightened my day!
^_^

~DarkAchu~
October 19th, 2008, 08:21 AM
isnt the meaning of life 42? well thats what i think anyway lol

.Iramet
October 19th, 2008, 08:25 AM
isnt the meaning of life 42? well thats what i think anyway lol

I don't quite understand what you mean.
Could you please explain it for me?

Hoppyfred
October 19th, 2008, 08:34 AM
I think it was first mentioned on Hitchiker's Guider to the Galaxy...

It's also been on Brainiac Science Abuse.

Miyukii
October 19th, 2008, 08:47 AM
Yes. I do think there is. Because there is one that is true: To enjoy life. It's a bit obvious that you don't want a bad life.

TRIFORCE89
October 19th, 2008, 02:35 PM
To me, the meaning of life is just to live life to its fullest. Whatever that may entail is up to the individual.

Kitty-Kat
October 19th, 2008, 04:33 PM
Well... I tend to look at life from a very... scientific point of view I guess. I don't think life HAS any meaning. I think we're just here to carry on the human race. We're just here to make sure our species doesn't go extinct. I think everything we do can be tied into that. We try to find "love" because we are looking for someone with what we believe to have "perfect" genes, that way our children will get those genes, and the human race will become a little bit better.

I don't quite understand what you mean.
Could you please explain it for me?
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy for the win! They made this super-computer and asked it: "What is the answer to the question of life, the universe, and everything?" And the computer said "42." They didn't get it, so the computer told them that they didn't know the question. So they built Earth to find the question to the answer!
Douglas Adams is love <3

Mewcario
October 19th, 2008, 04:35 PM
chicken nuggets aren't the meaning of life! ostrich poop is!

Xevio
October 19th, 2008, 05:07 PM
Lol @ ostrich poop a bit random aye?

Lusankya
October 19th, 2008, 05:19 PM
I thought it was whale dung. :|

F-F-Franklin
October 20th, 2008, 07:51 AM
It's really hard to saw. Some people are defiantly, and the rest is maybe.

Phixum
October 20th, 2008, 08:02 AM
To me, the meaning of life is to do something while I'm still here. The reason why I'm studying Biomedical sciences is because its one of the few areas in which you can make the hugest differences in others.

To me, the meaning of life is to live it with a nobel purpose that you never get distracted from. Sitting home watching TV for a life isn't a nobel purpose. Having parties 3 times a week isn't a nobel purpose. A nobel purpose, in my opinion, is something that requires your most attention and dedication. It's something that immortalizes you after you're dead.

Hoppyfred
October 20th, 2008, 08:04 AM
The meaning of life is 42...

Hmm...

You may not know it, but it isn't just a random number. Apparently, 42 is a magic number...

*Goes to wikipedia*

Oh, research it yourself, it's too complicated to explain. But it's enlightening.

I Laugh at your Misfortune!
November 10th, 2008, 11:21 AM
Meh, if I think about the meaning of life too much, I realise that there is no point and get depressed. :(

I might say that there is no meaning to life, as all life will eventually end, in my opinion. and even if it doesn't, whatever contribution I make to the world in general will eventually be forgotten.

Wow, this is depressing...life has no point...*cries*

Hawkfish
November 10th, 2008, 11:54 AM
The meaning of life? It's what you make it as. You define it yourself. For to one life may have a meaning to them while to another it may not. So I chose maybe.

Flex-Mon
November 10th, 2008, 12:41 PM

I agree I dont think we will never really find the purpose of life. Im not talking in a religous sense but I do believe that we were all made in this world for a purpose wether it is to be a leader, support someone, inspire people, motivate, ect. I think we all have a great purpose and that no matter what, and I do know there are many people that believe that they are insignifigant and do not have large impacts on peoples lives but you would be surprised how wrong you are.

Hoppyfred
November 10th, 2008, 12:54 PM
Meh, if I think about the meaning of life too much, I realise that there is no point and get depressed. :(

I might say that there is no meaning to life, as all life will eventually end, in my opinion. and even if it doesn't, whatever contribution I make to the world in general will eventually be forgotten.

Wow, this is depressing...life has no point...*cries*

Nice to see the thread alive...oops...

Has it been 28 days?
No? Good good.

I was just thinking about that earlier this evening...about how each day I'm just basically doing the same thing, over and over again...

X_X And I think I have Cross-Country tomorrow...

The meaning of life? It's what you make it as. You define it yourself. For to one life may have a meaning to them while to another it may not. So I chose maybe.

Interesting...

I agree I dont think we will never really find the purpose of life. Im not talking in a religous sense but I do believe that we were all made in this world for a purpose wether it is to be a leader, support someone, inspire people, motivate, ect. I think we all have a great purpose and that no matter what, and I do know there are many people that believe that they are insignifigant and do not have large impacts on peoples lives but you would be surprised how wrong you are.

Gah...my brain's just died on me...

-.-

Sorry, no personal offense, it's just that I'm cracking up at the thought of cross-country tomorrow.

Right...back to the topic...

@Flex-Mon: If you don't know what your purpose in life is, when will you know if you've completed it? Say, if I had a purpose to be the world's greatest cross-country runner, and I became the world's greatest cross-country runner, what would happen to me? Would I just get a NEW purpose in life?

...God, I hate cross-country.

>.<

EDIT: Guess who didn't have cross country today? Seriously, guess. I don't know anybody at my school who didn't have cross country today...apart from EVERYBODY :)

Sorry. Life suddenly seems worthwhile again.

At least until Games next week... :/