PDA

View Full Version : omg... PAID PROGRAMMING

Led Zeppelin Pwn
October 2nd, 2008, 02:29 PM
You know how some TV channels have some times when shows aren't, you know,
showing. Instead they are showing some advertisements for THINGS YOU'VE NEVER HEARD OF.
Im not talking TV commercials, Im talkin when its about 1 AM, and you want to watch your fav channel. Whats on? Chances for some, PAID PROGRAMMING.
What do you think about this?

Lusankya
October 2nd, 2008, 03:05 PM
Discovery Channel is a prime example of this, before 8 (or something) AM, it's all paid programming for some random things, cleaning materials, cookers, etc. It's quite annoying, but I suppose they need the money...

txteclipse
October 2nd, 2008, 03:08 PM
Despise. Paid programming is a waste of perfectly good film.

Melodyfree
October 2nd, 2008, 03:41 PM
Hey, at least they only do this late. I absolutely hate it when these stupid million hour long infomercials just repeating the same thing over and over again in the daytime. I've never seen these things on a channel that I actually watch, but it still irks me.
Actually, the ridiculous amounts of commercials that US television airs is just terrible. It's like, 3 minutes of the actual show right after 10 minutes of crappy commercials, then ANOTHER BREAK. Let me watch my effing show. D:< Just pump us up with 4-10 minutes worth of commercials between shows/episode parts like the Japanese do, but let us just watch the actual show during its air time. In those 10 minutes, American dubbers could actually bother to make minute long OPs and EDs rather than the 30 second pieces of trash that we get.

Alright, I'm done ranting. :3

Infamous Amos
October 2nd, 2008, 03:44 PM
Despise. Paid programming is a waste of perfectly good film.

I agree... But the Television Channels have to make money somehow... Apperently they don't get enough from commercials.

Lusankya
October 2nd, 2008, 03:46 PM
Only some of them. *coughDiscoverycough*

I don't mind watching commercials, actually, as long as they're good. Some of them are actually quite funny.

Tater Tot
October 2nd, 2008, 03:51 PM
I actually enjoy watching it. XD Once when I was on vacation, I had to sleep with my dad, and one thing you should know about my Dad, he snores...badly. So it was about 5 AM in the morning and I couldn't stand it any longer, I got up and turned on the television, and I watched thirty minutes of people advertising about some skin cream that's supposed to get rid of your acne. And then another thirty minutes of people advertising about markers called "Blendy pens", and then another hour of fitness. I actually enjoyed watching it. XD

Saryka
October 2nd, 2008, 05:40 PM
I love them for some reason. XD; I saw this one for this weird grill thing, and the people explaining the product were horrible actors. They also had a tendency to repeat the same things over and over, and demonstrating the same things for about half and hour.

...You wonder why they need half and hour to a whole hour to describe a product at one in the morning when no one's watching. XD;

Kenshin5
October 2nd, 2008, 05:59 PM
I dont think the TV companys care as long as they get there money.But if your up at like 12:00 am to 5:00 am thats all thats one with most channels.

41victory
October 2nd, 2008, 06:01 PM
Yeah they suck, I hate when I want to watch a channel and there on >.<
But sometimes when I'm really bored I watch them for fun...
Weird huh?

THE MAGIC BULLET!!!!

Kenshin5
October 2nd, 2008, 06:04 PM
If you hate it then change the channel.I sure am not going to stick around and watch an add.They dont need 30 minutes to get the point across about there producted alot of time there just repeating themselves.

Crystal Clair
October 2nd, 2008, 06:17 PM
I love them and one of my favorite hobbies when I was younger was to wait till mid day every Saturday and watch them one after another, wishing I could get one. I eventually got one of those shavers (although it wasn't nearly as good as it was advertised, but it was useful), my mom got that suction cup that supposely could hold up a bowling ball but couldn't hold up her calender. I still wish I could've had that steam blaster to clean up the impossible.

It's fun watching them try to keep solving everyday problems.

Lusankya
October 2nd, 2008, 06:24 PM
Yeah, another thing about their products is that they're not anywhere near as good as they say they are...

Forever
October 3rd, 2008, 05:04 AM
Oh! Those... they advertise a "go duster". It upsets me each time we look at our cheapo store brought one. D: It doesn't even work. But seriously, they're really appealing. Though only the duster is appealing to me.

Trap-Eds
October 3rd, 2008, 11:36 AM
Ugh, they are annoying. I hate it when I wanna watch TruTV action and can't 'cause they're still talking about this awesome exercise machine...blech. As if regular commercials weren't bad enough!!

Miyukii
October 4th, 2008, 06:42 AM
I totally agree! I think they should do this more, so companies can advertise more, but things like the Coco Pops advert is literally on all the time so you can say they actually don't pay for it. But I also find it annoying that you have to keep watching the same old adverts on the same old channel. Actually forget what I said then. :cheeky:

Lusankya
October 4th, 2008, 07:05 AM
So... do you like infomercials?

Azzurra
October 4th, 2008, 07:31 AM
Well, you have to remember hosting programs isn't free, and they need to do something to be able to pay for the rest of the showings.

So that's probably why they do it.

Miyukii
October 4th, 2008, 10:00 AM
Blazeflare is right, but watching the same old TV advertisments is awesome, as I said, I love the Coco Pops one. *hums song* Don't forget the Pokemon Battle Dimension advert aswell, actually, I'm going to elaborate now while thinking of Pokemon...

Because some people watch Cartoon Network, or I dunno...they show this Pokemon advert which Jetix made. So...if another channel made this advert, will they have to pay?

Gary, the Magic Fairy
October 5th, 2008, 01:02 PM
I LOVE Paid Programming... except for weight loss stuff and acne medication. Only those fun ones where they demonstrate how well things clean or cook or whatever. I was watching one about a juicer the other day, it was great. XD

"30% MORE JUICE THAN OTHER JUICERS!"

They can be fun if they're advertising things that look interesting. XD

Melody
October 5th, 2008, 08:18 PM
I agree, Paid programming is a waste of airtime. I wish they'd just allow companies to sponsor a show and not 30 minute craptacular imfomercials.

Gymnotide
October 5th, 2008, 09:41 PM
I love these things.

I am going to learn how to make scrapbooks.
And blow away leaves with my new ULTRA LEAF BLOWER... That hangs on the wall.

peirateis
October 6th, 2008, 02:18 PM
I absolutely lovelovelove informercials. It's like my second favorite thing to watch on tv. Honestly, I've bought a few things from being convinced by an infomercial. One I haven't bought, but really want:
THE MAGIC BULLET!!!!

It looks soo amazing.

Bludycomicsinc
October 6th, 2008, 02:37 PM
I think they are great waste of my time.I mean great!Whenever I need to blow an hour I watch people trying to sell you stuff on TV.Well They advertise some great stuff I also enjoy watching them.I'm not sure why but it is pretty entertaining.

Saltare.
October 8th, 2008, 03:38 PM
I HATE Paid Programming!

I know Nickelodeon turns off on some day in September and tells kids to go outside, but that isnt an example

Jorah
October 9th, 2008, 12:33 PM
Uh...what's paid programming? You have to pay the BBC for a TV Licence even if you never watch their channel...otherwise, I don't know

Lusankya
October 9th, 2008, 12:40 PM
By "Paid Programming", I believe the thread creator means infomercials and other kinds of large, long, occasionally amusing, more often annoying advertisements that take the place of regular entertainment.

Vernikova
October 9th, 2008, 12:40 PM
Uh...what's paid programming? You have to pay the BBC for a TV Licence even if you never watch their channel...otherwise, I don't know

Looking around the forums, I spy this thread and I read your post and I chuckle to myself.

Paid Programming are those 30min+ commercials, advertising a product that people want them to buy. Such products would be a vacuum, a washing machine, and mop, etc. It's usually on during the early morning hours because not a lot of people watch them.

Jorah
October 9th, 2008, 01:02 PM
Oh, I see, thanks! I've never came across that before. I've came across channels that are just advertising channels and they're annoying. Never seen just a random 30 min advert though o.O But that's probably because I only watch terrestrial late at night.

Lusankya
October 9th, 2008, 02:23 PM
They're not random, they're usually in the early morning. Tune in to Discovery Channel before 8 AM on the weekends and you'll see what I mean.

Bludycomicsinc
October 9th, 2008, 02:50 PM
They're not random, they're usually in the early morning. Tune in to Discovery Channel before 8 AM on the weekends and you'll see what I mean.

Those are the ones I like to watch. Did you see there awesome Ab coaster exercise machine infomercial?