PDA

View Full Version : Questions about those prepaid credit/debit cards

pm_41
October 14th, 2008, 06:27 PM
I've seen those Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards, "GreenDot Cards", ect. all around stores in my city. I wanna get one for online purchases.

Do you have to be 18 to get one?

Can you reload them with more $$$?

Do they "steal" some of your $$$ as payment?

marz
October 14th, 2008, 06:35 PM
Usually, a prepaid mastercard has a fee, but it's annual, and it's not that much. The MuchMusic Prepaid Mastercard for example is $35 a year, including your initial $5 load on the card. They're not credit cards, you can only spend money you have, that you've loaded onto your card. The only real reason for these is that almost anywhere these days take credit cards, but not as many take debit. So this is like your debit money, on a credit card machine.

And lastly, the beauty of it all is that you do not have to be 18 years old to have one. Most prepaid cards are available to anyone 16 or older, and some even 13 or older (with the approval of a parent or guardian). I know the MM Prepaid Mastercard is available to those 16 or older.

Mr. Downstairs
October 14th, 2008, 07:10 PM
Can you reload them with more $$$?

Do they "steal" some of your $$$ as payment?

You can reload them with more money. Typically your parents do that, though. Unless you are employed and want to use that as a credit card-ish thing. And then transfer all that information onto a credit card (not sure if you can do that, but I hear things that some companies allow that). From what my dad told me, since he was thinking of getting me one of these so I don't waste my grandfather's credit account up anymore than I've already done, is that it functions just as L'Viaquez already stated. It's treated like a credit card, but is a debit. You can use it just like you can use any other credit card out there. For example, if you want to by a song on iTunes, you can input that information on your account and it will work (since my friend uses this method of purchasing content from just about anywhere). But as I said, you can continue to refill it so long as you wish.

pm_41
October 15th, 2008, 04:23 PM
Cool! Thanks guys! I may get one the next time I'm at the store.

Yu_&_Rei
October 15th, 2008, 04:28 PM
you don't have to be 18 to get them, I have both a credit and debit card although when u use your credit you're charged with interest on your bill.