PDA

View Full Version : Stereotypes are stereotypes for a reason...aren't they?

I Laugh at your Misfortune!
October 17th, 2008, 11:44 AM
Ok, this is a fairly simple thread. I just have this (really prejudiced) view that most people on here fit a kind of stereo type - people who are 'uncool' and maybe don't have loads of friends, who like computers, who are pretty intelligent, who are maybe 'nerds' and are mainly boys. So is my stereotype roughly right, or am i barking up the wrong tree? vote please!

Cassino
October 17th, 2008, 11:49 AM
But what is your supposed stereotype?...
The impression I get is the noob type, but your punctuation and spelling prevents this from fitting you.

Oh and technically we all pass as the uncool type for even being on a Pokemon forum.

Edit: I thought you were asking if you fit some stereotype that you're supposed to fall in under... -_-

Vernikova
October 17th, 2008, 11:59 AM
I don't know what you're talking about actually. I have a lot of friends from all over the place, mainly because I live in New York and there are *so* many different races here. They go from those "hoodlums" to the "nerds" and everything in between. Everybody likes a computer, if they didn't, no one would own it.

So in short, no, I don't fit your stereotype, sorry.

P.S. This isn't in the right thread:P.

EDIT: Interesting, a word got censored, so I switched the word.

Aegis
October 17th, 2008, 03:21 PM
This is the wrong section, I'm afraid. But it doesn't quite any of the other forums either, it's one of those mysterious threads that belongs in the gray zone between Other Chat and Other Voting Polls, since it really could go either way. For now, I'm just going to move it to Other Voting Polls, but Siggy might move it to Other Chat later on if she thinks it's necessary.

-Moved-

To answer your question though, I guess I do kind of fit your sterotype XD; I'm not "uncool", per say, but I certainly wasn't popular back in regular school. I have a fair amount of friends, but only a few I talk to all the time, I like computers and technology, and I guess I'm a nerd XD; A male as well, though certain resident Assistant Admins Cows disagree.

Melodyfree
October 17th, 2008, 03:32 PM
people who are 'uncool' and maybe don't have loads of friends
MY E-FRIENDS THINK I'M COOL. ;^;
But seriously, I wouldn't necessarily call myself cool OR uncool, but some weirdo thing in between. o__. I have more acquaintances than actual friends, but I don't know of anyone who wouldn't call themselves an acquaintance or a friend who isn't a complete stranger.

who like computersI don't know anyone who doesn't, to be honest.

who are pretty intelligentYou got me there. Although I mainly say this because I can juggle English and Spanish quite well, can type decently in both school papers and internet (as opposed to the 'ghetto' gibberish my friends write on Myspace, hence I avoid that place like the plague) and get good grades in school (again, in comparison to most of my schoolmates, who have to struggle to get past a 70.0 average), yeah; I'd call myself pretty intelligent.

who are maybe 'nerds' and are mainly boys.NERDY PRIDE! 8D I'm an anime nerd and a gaming nerd (geek?) if that counts. And I'm a proud female, thank you very much. ;o

Fox♠
October 17th, 2008, 03:32 PM
I think although your statement is kinda true, it's a silly one to make.

I joined nearly 4 years ago, back then i generally liked pokemon, now i don't, i just stick around for the art community. I have very little interest in computers and I have a lot of friends, so you're stereotype is pretty bad when compared to me.

Aurafire
October 17th, 2008, 03:47 PM
Idk....I don't think of myself as a nerd. I play a bunch of sports and have a lot of friends....so I guess I kinda fit it =/

Michii
October 17th, 2008, 04:10 PM
...people who are 'uncool'..

I personally think I'm very cool. I may be a loser, but I'm cool. Haha irl stuff sucks to explain online. XD

...and maybe don't have loads of friends...

I've got loads and loads of friends, or at least people who I'm really friendly with on a regular basis..

...who like computers...

I think computers are computers. I like some sites and photoshop, but not the high tech. http stuff and codes.

...who are pretty intelligent...

I'm really intelligent, so I fit this.

...who are maybe 'nerds' and are mainly boys...

Not a nerd, just a dork. 8]
And I'm a girl, so yupp. Don't fit this! >:

I don't fit this stereotype at all, I don't think. I think intelligence has nothing to do with this stereotype, as some people are really intellectuals, but choose not to be.

Saltare.
October 17th, 2008, 04:15 PM
Kinda. My friend, Tanner, is sorta a steryotype. So is my math teacher. He thinks my friend from Canada(Shyok) says "Eh" after every sentance

s p a c e c o w b o y
October 17th, 2008, 04:18 PM
Kinda. My friend, Tanner, is sorta a steryotype. So is my math teacher. He thinks my friend from Canada(Shyok) says "Eh" after every sentance

lol my math teacher says "eh" too :)

but i think of my self as the coolest freakin guy ever!

sooo... :)

EmpoleMew
October 17th, 2008, 04:42 PM
Meh, I kinda fall into that thin line between "nerd" and "cool". Actually, I guess you could say I'm a bit of both.

For some reason, though, people believe I'm some psycho emo kid who'll snap at any moment. O.O Okay, they don't think I'm emo, but y'know what I mean. I hope.

4th Gen Matt
October 17th, 2008, 04:47 PM
I have a lot of friends. Over 10 friends I am really close to. Then I have like 30 acquaintances. So, this one is an EPIC PHAIL.

I like computers, but don't know everything about HTML and programming and all that jazz. EPIC PHAIL.

I don't think I fit your sterotype at all. Except for being intelligent and a male.

I certainly don't look like a nerd. I dress like everyone else, no wide lens glasses, I play sports and hang out with my friends. EPIC PHAIL.

I think I am very smart and my 3.5 GPA agrees with me. UNEPIC PHAIL.

I am a male. UNEPIC PHAIL

Saltare.
October 17th, 2008, 05:11 PM
Meh, I kinda fall into that thin line between "nerd" and "cool". Actually, I guess you could say I'm a bit of both.

For some reason, though, people believe I'm some psycho emo kid who'll snap at any moment. O.O Okay, they don't think I'm emo, but y'know what I mean. I hope.

lol I do. Some kid though I was emo/goth cause I wore black one day. It was a very depressing day for me! lol. But I'm like between cool and I guess, uh, sporty?

Lana.
October 17th, 2008, 05:35 PM
Ok, this is a fairly simple thread. I just have this (really prejudiced) view that most people on here fit a kind of stereo type - people who are 'uncool' and maybe don't have loads of friends, who like computers, who are pretty intelligent, who are maybe 'nerds' and are mainly boys. So is my stereotype roughly right, or am i barking up the wrong tree? vote please!

Hmm, let's break this down.
Uncool - =/ This kind of depends on your point of view, but I think people at school think of me somewhere in the middle. I don't really care, but I'm too proud to say I'm uncool (especially since some people think I am).

Don't have loads of friends - Ding, ding, ding! Perfect match. Though this may be my own fault/choice, I do not have many friends. And it has seemed to keep me out of drama/trouble, and I'm content enough for now with my 'lack' of people to hang out with. (Meh, people in my school are annoying anyways)

Like computers - Not necessarily just computers (but yes, I couldn't live without my laptop), but gadgets and gizmos (especially smaller ones) interest me, and I can figure out many electrical devices pretty well.

Pretty Intelligent - Another perfect match, if I may so myself =)

Boy - *looks down* Nope.

So, mainly, yes, I do fit your stereotype. As much as I hate to be one (even one that someone made up), I'll concede and say I often make stereotypes of my own.

Merzbau
October 17th, 2008, 05:37 PM
People revere me as a mystic, mainly.

In terms of "cool", I say I fare well. I'm rather good natured and I'm a fan of humor so generally lots of people like me.

To contrast, my interests are very odd and strange compared to the average person I know; philosophy and spirituality, meditation, Star Wars, (bad) music, writing, singing, and thinking freely.

Yu_&_Rei
October 17th, 2008, 05:41 PM
I don't fit in there, I'm not a nerd at all, I have lots of friends and a lot from Tennis, a lot of ppl look up to me, some of my friends are nerds and one of them is kinda popular and is a semi-jock, so I guess I'm a bit of everything except nerdy.

Midnight Beat
October 17th, 2008, 05:45 PM
I...I kind of take offense to that statement. I have many friends, and rather active social life. Yes, I happen to be rather smart, but what does that have to do with anything?

Gold warehouse
October 18th, 2008, 12:58 AM
Ok, this is a fairly simple thread. I just have this (really prejudiced) view that most people on here fit a kind of stereo type - people who are 'uncool' and maybe don't have loads of friends
What makes someone cool? Stumped me there.
I know alot of people and are on friendly terms with them but I wouldn't class them as a friend. I'm also pretty picky but I'm part of 2 groups in the school and I have to put effort in to stay friends with both of these 2 groups because they don't like each other. I would say I have 9 good friends

who like computers
What do you mean likes them? Most people like their computer, if they hated them they wouldn't have one, I like gaming and posting on forums but the technical side of it interests me about as much as any electrical aplliance.

who are pretty intelligent,
Yes I am, but alot of people are in my school including most of the Jocks, one of the beforementioned groups are intelligent, the others probably bottom in our age group but I'm still friendly with both.

who are maybe 'nerds'
I'm a bit of a film and music nerd, but I'm proud of it, I used to play Warhammer 40k which is very nerdy but I don't anymore and can't really see the appeal behind it anymore, not sure why I got it. I'm not sure what defines being a nerd but I think liking something alot that you spend alot of your time doing it makes you a nerd, if you watch and play football alot I would say your a football nerd.

and are mainly boys.
I am male, but I have seen plenty of female members.

am i barking up the wrong tree?
I think so.

popsicles.
October 18th, 2008, 02:11 AM
people who are 'uncool'
Eh. I don't think I'm cool. But I'm not lame neither :B
I'm just .. Normal. 8D

and maybe don't have loads of friends
I have a lot of friends and I know a bunch of people very well, actually. :>

who like computers
Hmm. I do like some sites, but reallyreally computers themselves?
No. I mean, the screen gets easily filthy and I hate using school computers because I don't want to know what people did with the keyboard XD
And I know nothing about the computer itself. I don't even know the difference between ROM or RAM. :x

who are pretty intelligent
I'm fairy intelligent, but I'm by far not the most intelligent kid in school.

who are maybe 'nerds'
No. 8D

and are mainly boys.
No. XD

So is my stereotype roughly right, or am i barking up the wrong tree? vote please!
For me, you're barking up the wrong tree. :>

Signomi
October 18th, 2008, 03:28 AM
This is the wrong section, I'm afraid. But it doesn't quite any of the other forums either, it's one of those mysterious threads that belongs in the gray zone between Other Chat and Other Voting Polls, since it really could go either way. For now, I'm just going to move it to Other Voting Polls, but Siggy might move it to Other Chat later on if she thinks it's necessary.

-Moved-

I don't see why this thread needed to be moved here in the first place. It's a topic that can be bait to discussion; namely on the very essence of stereotyping within social communities both online and offline, which is something Other Chat would welcome a lot more than Other Voting Polls would. That said, I'm going to go ahead and move this back to Other Chat.

~Moved

Idiot!
October 18th, 2008, 07:57 AM
I admit I do not have loads of friends because I pick very carefully, but I have enough to get along with for now.

Everyone IRL thinks I am intelligent (that includes my enemies and people that have just met me), but I don't think so. I don't even have the mental capacity to understand why they keep saying "you are smart" at me.

My few friends say I am the coolest person they've ever met. I am still trying to comprehend that too.

Oh, and I prefer laptops.

What are nerds anyway?

Yamikarasu
October 18th, 2008, 08:32 AM
Hmm... I would say I'm a little of everything. I have a lot of friends, I guess I'm kind of a jock since I'm on the football team, but I was also on the chess and the math team last year so I'm conflicted. >_<

Whatever, my friends probably think I'm weird. :P

To answer your question: Not completely.

Syrex
October 18th, 2008, 09:18 AM
Very wrong.

I'm quite popular in school. I get average grades. I have a girlfriend.

i'm great with computers and read Anime, but I don't get hassle about it.

I'm also a Computer Programmer and web design / graphic design.

I Laugh at your Misfortune!
October 18th, 2008, 02:14 PM
Woah...did not expect this much of a response, but yeh, all points appreciated. going by current poll votes, I made a bit of a boo-boo :P
overall, I seem to have proved myself wrong and offended a couple of people...awesome!

October 18th, 2008, 02:26 PM
This whole "cool" and "popularity" thing doesn't really make sense to me. In my school, everyone is mainly accepted, barring a few kids who are either trying to hard to fit in, or trying too hard to be an individualist. I can honestly say there isn't a "top of the food chain" group, of course, there are a few who are more well known and more well liked than others. I'm pretty well known and well liked in my school, but a wide variety of people. I'm not overly popular, but I don't care about that, since the group of friends I have make me happy.

Off topic a bit, but I believe a few stereotypes are true, since I doubt they would've become stereotypes if there wasn't a little truth behind them. As far as nerds go, I'm not exactly a 'nerd', but I consider myself capable when it comes to learning.