PDA

View Full Version : Grammar.

Harley Quinn
October 25th, 2008, 10:41 PM
Do you generally try to use good grammar?

Yes. I'm still learning the fine tuning, but enough to get around.

Becuz tlkng lik ths is su nt col:D:laugh::cheeky:

Hiidoran
October 25th, 2008, 10:50 PM
Yes, I do enjoy using good grammar.
It annoys me to no end when someone speaks in "1337" or "cht-spk". I mean really, what on earth is the point of talking like that?

Then again, I suppose I may take it a little further than that as well. It often irks me when someone misspells something or doesn't punctuate correctly. Heck, sometimes I get worked up if they leave a simple linking word out of their sentences. I often look at their age and am quite surprised to find that they are of a rather mature age. It really makes me wonder what these people learned during their years of education...
(Of course, if English is not their native language, then that is perfectly understandable.)

Well, that was my mini-rant. I do hope you enjoyed it!
(Well, if you read it.)

BeachBoy
October 25th, 2008, 10:54 PM
Obviously, and even as a staff member I feel I have to have perfect grammar at times. So yes, I try to do the best I can when it comes to grammar. I'm by no means perfect, but I think it's sufficient to understand and read without problems.

Do I absolutely despise people that make mistakes? Not at all, and a good portion of this forum isn't English. Leet speak? Another ball game I generally dislike. <_<;

Harley Quinn
October 25th, 2008, 10:57 PM
Then again, I suppose I may take it a little further than that as well. It often irks me when someone misspells something or doesn't punctuate correctly. Heck, sometimes I get worked up if they leave a simple linking word out of their sentences.
(Well, if you read it.)
Agreed, but what if it was a simple typo?

/defeat'd.

Hiidoran
October 25th, 2008, 11:04 PM
Typos are something that can't really be helped. It happens to us all considering we are all human. Also with being human comes misunderstanding situations, and therefore a simple typo could be viewed as bad grammar at times.

I suppose you do have a point there, PA.

supertails
October 25th, 2008, 11:09 PM
I always try. I do say brb, lol, stuff like that but I mostly practice good language skill as much as possible.

Eon-Rider
October 25th, 2008, 11:10 PM

I found a grammatical error before even going in this thread. Titles generally don't have periods in them and especially not the way you used it. Something else you fail to mention is that "tlkng lik ths" is spelling not grammar.

As for myself, I do try to type as best as I can. =)

Tyrantrum
October 25th, 2008, 11:27 PM
Well, I think using good grammar is better than sentences like: tht iz teh pwnzor!
No, I don't like that.
I may make a joke about it in Visitor Messages, but never posts.
I might say pwns, pwnage, or pwned in posts, but never any other kind of grammatical error.

I used to actually use shortcuts like: u, r, kool, GL(Good Luck), etc.
Not anymore though. I don't like that.

Motsuko Live
October 25th, 2008, 11:30 PM
I try to use good grammar in my posts, but I do slip up from time to time. I still use "lol", "xD", etc, but I don't really see those as bad grammar... just shortcuts, if you will.

As for cht-spk, I really don't see the point. I'll sometimes use it in VMs when I'm just fooling about, but that's it. I find it harder to type in cht-spk than proper english.

supertails
October 25th, 2008, 11:36 PM
It's just good we aren't computers. With computers you have to be exact, I know cause I took a IT class.

txteclipse
October 26th, 2008, 12:09 AM
I practice correct grammar as much as possible, whether in speech or text. Language is the primary way you convey your inner self: it should be treated with the respect it deserves, which means using it correctly.

Although I do say "pwn" and "lol" if necessary, and use smilies on occasion.

Harley Quinn
October 26th, 2008, 01:13 AM
I found a grammatical error before even going in this thread. Titles generally don't have periods in them and especially not the way you used it. Something else you fail to mention is that "tlkng lik ths" is spelling not grammar.

As for myself, I do try to type as best as I can. =)
You know how high you just climbed the List of Doom? j/k

As I said before, I'm learning. So please, forgive me master.

Joey the Cockroach
October 26th, 2008, 01:32 AM
well, i try to keep good grammar, but i always dont bother with capital letters.

Toblerone
October 26th, 2008, 03:49 AM
Why yes old bean, i tend to keep my vocabulary and grammar most exquisite and indeed spiffing. That's a tad over the top :D.

I always try to use good grammar, although i do say "lol" and other abbreviations. Like most people have said, people who talk l1k3 th1$ (like this) REALLY annoy me. Half the time i have to concentrate and somehow decipher what on earth they are say.

Azonic
October 26th, 2008, 04:43 AM
I say lol on occasion, and I frequently use smilies. :D

I try to keep my grammar as good as possible, but I know it's never perfect. I find myself using a long run-on sentence once in a while. I despise people that use an overdose of chatspeak. Definitely 1337 speak, because it actually is harder to type out than proper english is, and definitely illegible and not worth it. No, I don't look down at people who make occasional typos or english mistakes. Not everyone has english as their native language, and everyone makes mistakes once in a while.

Sora_8920
October 26th, 2008, 05:28 AM
Well, I don't use chatspeak, and I make some typos occasionally, albeit I'm not really the one to frown down on people for utilizing bad Grammar. As aforementioned by Kayashi, not everyone possesses English as their first language. I'm not really using 'xD' that much in my statements as of late.

On another note; I myself use smilies, it's just that typing in chat-speak is a separate thing.

EDIT: By the way, I used to use the Apple Safari browser, which has a built-in Grammar/Spelling check. But I discontinued the use of it, as it was hogging up my system space.

Tater Tot
October 26th, 2008, 05:57 AM
I try to use the best grammar that I possibly can, but I know that I fail at it most of the time. XD Oh well, I'm better than I was in 2005. x_x;

Sora_8920
October 26th, 2008, 05:59 AM
I try to use the best grammar that I possibly can, but I know that I fail at it most of the time. XD Oh well, I'm better than I was in 2005. x_x;

Yeah, my grammar was horrendous until sometime last year, so I can see where you're coming from. I don't recall what occurred, but it benefited greatly.

Cassino
October 26th, 2008, 06:31 AM
I use grammar where appropriate, all the way down to em dashes and semi-colons. I don't try to practice good grammar per se, it's second nature in me as I'd expect it to be in anyone else.

Alakazam17
October 26th, 2008, 06:43 AM
I like to use good grammar, but I don't go out of my way to make it look perfect. I don't care if I accidentally leave a typo somewhere, though I still correct it if I find it.

That also goes for what other people type. Though if it's painfully obvious that someone is trying to mispell intentionally, I get a little peeved. This of course doesn't apply if said person is trying to be funny with it(ie. as the thread starter did, XD), or if said person's first language is not English, and s/he is making an honest effort.

Kitty-Kat
October 26th, 2008, 06:45 AM
I don't have to try to use good grammar, I just do. It's actually harder for me to type in 1337 speak or chat-speak than it is to type normally. Because that's just the way I learned how to do it. :P
Sometimes poor grammar annoys me, especially when you can't understand what they're saying. D:
And I believe that since we're typing on a forum, not IMing or texting, people should at least edit their messages, because you have the time [and the key0s :P] [[<--- lol, there is an 0 in keys because my cat Tiger stepped on the 0 while I was typing and I don't feel like removing it XD I am a bit hypocritical I suppose. Oh well! :P]]

Konkat
October 26th, 2008, 06:49 AM
Yes childrens, watch your speller and gramming. o_o

Talker like these are an badly things. *shot*

Weatherman, Kiyoshi
October 26th, 2008, 06:53 AM
HAI HAI U U
i doont liek ur grlfirend
NOO WAI NOO WAI
i tink u needz a knew 1

---

Quite.
Good grammer is well.
Very Well.

*straightens out monicle*

"chat-spk" was only created for blokes and lassies who don't exactly know how to spell a certain word.
It's good and dandy, but only used in moderation.

For example:

"Dude, do I luv cheese"

Notice how there is only one converted word in the sentence.
It means you're happy and such.

Now, the type of chatspeak that isn't tolerable is when the words exceed the limit of one to three words.

For example:

"Duudddeeee, due i LUV pumpzkinz :D"

*cough cough*

Indeed.
It's only as annoying as the person who types it.

So, baiscally,
if you find yourself alone with an annoying person who happens to be a newbie,
you are screwed, sir/madame.

*monicle falls off*

Zebra Thunderhead
October 26th, 2008, 07:16 AM
I hate when people leave me long messages and can't use commas or periods. The run-ons kill me. ;o;

Tater Tot
October 26th, 2008, 07:23 AM
I hate when people leave me long messages and can't use commas or periods. The run-ons kill me. ;o;

You would have hated me in 2005 then. XD

hi im tater tot and i wanna make new freinds cuz i like freinds cuz ppl should hang on to freinds or life and i liek pc a lot cuz i have lots of friends u know man and guess wat i just made a new freind how awsom is dat u know

I hate that. -.-

Volkner's Apprentice
October 26th, 2008, 07:24 AM
Oh dear, run-on sentences are like nails to my eyeballs. X_x

I'm a fan of grammar. I really don't like the vast new members we get here that know exactly how to type and write correctly and just choose not to because "it's just a forum" or "it's about Pokemon, I'm not in skool why shud i spell riht?" -_-

Hello..just because it's a forum, doesn't mean people can read that crap.

Cassino
October 26th, 2008, 07:55 AM
*straightens out monicle*

"chat-spk" was only created for blokes and lassies who don't exactly know how to spell a certain word.
It's good and dandy, but only used in moderation.
It's spelt monocle.

As I've been told, chat/text speak actually originated from early mobile phones capable of text messaging having a limit on how many characters could be entered per message. To fit more into the message, people omitted vowels and most grammatical marks, contracted words, replaced some multiple-letter sounds and some short words with numbers that when spoken made the same sound, et caetera.
The irony stands, however, that most text messages are short regardless. 'Chtspk' has become more of a trend than anything now...

The Darkroom
October 26th, 2008, 08:18 AM
I try (98% of the time) to use correct grammar, and I always use correct spelling. Chat speak is possibly the most irritating thing in the history of forever. And it takes longer to type things incorrectly than to type them correctly, in my opinion.

But there are times when people take grammar to the extreme, and that is annoying. [example: correcting someone for saying 'the family is divided rather than 'are divided', which is technically correct.]

Sushi.
October 26th, 2008, 08:23 AM
I do fine Grammer most of the time, but I sometimes say "lol" at times in the internet.

Sounds
October 26th, 2008, 12:31 PM
I do fine Grammer most of the time, but I sometimes say "lol" at times in the internet.

same thing with me but sometimes i can't be stuffed to use proper gramma.

Michii
October 27th, 2008, 07:51 AM
I believe that, in general, I have a decent understanding of English grammar. I almost never misspell a word, and when I do, I'm angry at myself. Typo or no typo, improper use of grammar with others and myself bothers me to the smallest degree. I understand that we're human and all make mistakes, but personally, I get bothered a bit.

Though, speaking for myself, I think that I overuse many English words. Also, my individual commas used in PC = number of insane people in the world.

Josephine
October 27th, 2008, 10:20 AM
With my first account here back in 2004 i'm sad to say that "I did tlk leik ths." ;_;

Now I get quite annoyed when someone even misses out punctuation. o.o'

Furanty
October 27th, 2008, 10:36 AM
As a foreign speaker, it is important for me, to do correctly grammar. In school it is much easier than here, I think. But I can say you, that you should be happy. English grammar is so much easier than German grammar.

I hope I used correctly grammar,
Denis

Ruphire
October 27th, 2008, 10:45 AM
I try to have good grammar. Though when I talk fast I seem to mess up my words a little bit.

austin00081
October 27th, 2008, 11:15 AM
As a foreign speaker, it is important for me, to do correctly grammar. In school it is much easier than here, I think. But I can say you, that you should be happy. English grammar is so much easier than German grammar.

I hope I used correctly grammar,
Denis

Ja, Deutsch ist schwerr fur mich. Ich spreche nicht so gut, aber ich will besser Deutsch sprechen.

Weatherman, Kiyoshi
October 27th, 2008, 11:29 AM
It's spelt monocle.

Really? i've heard it's spelt

Y-O-U-R F-A-C-E

quite.
perhaps we shouldn't care about these grammar issues, blokes and lassies.
it's the internet.

if you get mad at a person because they don't use grammar, you're
a troll, my children.

now, i'm going to enjoy tea and crumpets.

*sips tea*

Azzurra
October 27th, 2008, 11:48 AM
I think that I'm quite good at grammar, and use it most the time (even on MSN).
Most people think I type like that because I'm smart, but it's really only because I'm careful with my words.

And I don't despise chat-speak, as long as I can actually read it, it's fine for me.

Mr. Epic
October 27th, 2008, 01:58 PM
I am afraid I do not really care about my gramer. If it is understandable then what is the problem.
I think it is just because I am lazy!

Kitty-Kat
October 27th, 2008, 02:01 PM
It's spelt monocle.

As I've been told, chat/text speak actually originated from early mobile phones capable of text messaging having a limit on how many characters could be entered per message. To fit more into the message, people omitted vowels and most grammatical marks, contracted words, replaced some multiple-letter sounds and some short words with numbers that when spoken made the same sound, et caetera.
The irony stands, however, that most text messages are short regardless. 'Chtspk' has become more of a trend than anything now...

It's spelled "spelled". :P

I figured that's what happened. That and people being lazy while IMing. XD I used to use chat speak all the time while IMing, but now I just take a little extra time to type out my words. It's easy for me because I've been typing for so long, it's super easy for me.

Virtual Chatot
October 27th, 2008, 02:03 PM
I'm a total Grammar Nazi, yeah I'll admit it openly. I bug people all the time about not using proper grammar, I usually come off as looking like a smart ass, but It just annoys me to death. -_-

fer
October 27th, 2008, 02:11 PM
I use excellent grammar,I may use a little of the IM language,but not much.

Angela
October 27th, 2008, 02:13 PM

I'm trying to use good grammar, but I fail, a lot:/

Candy Christina
October 27th, 2008, 02:46 PM
I tend to just naturally use good grammar. Not trying to sound like I'm bragging or anything, but....yeah. If I do find a mistake that I made, I have to change it ASAP. I'm really uptight about it I guess.

Karasuma
October 27th, 2008, 02:58 PM
I use good grammar mostly everyday in my life and I think it may be because I go to college and take those speech classes in which helps me talk/write better. Also I had to use good grammar when I had to write my resume in order to get my job at B&N.

Although I don't really much use good grammar when talking to friends because we have our own way of talking and its not all gangster like "yo wassup playa wats crakin' like its hot shawty oh foo shizzle mi nizzlee homie slice nika plz" its a normal way in which we dont use big confusing words.

As for talking in the internet, in the game i play called 'Rumble Fighter' there's no need for me to talk with good grammar since most prayers are always cursing and saying "Lawlz u nub u suk mangos" but yeah thats how most games are.
Here in PC you have to talk in a good way though and I guess some of us have had our newbie days when we used to talk like this "HI EVERYONE IM KNEW HEERE HOWS IT GOING!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?" not to mention the over use of smileys hehe.
But yes good grammar is the key to success.

Confuse
October 27th, 2008, 05:15 PM
Yes, of course I do my best. Though, I do type:

words ending in -ing as -in'
because as 'cause
since that's how I talk in real life. When I see fellow forum members use good grammar, I have more respect for them. Shows me that they take the time to use good grammar in their posts.

But I do take shortcuts when talkin' on AIM.

Zetta-Chan
October 27th, 2008, 05:27 PM
I take pride in using correct grammar, even if it makes me check over my sentences over and over again. When people post in all caps or leet, (L1K3 TH15) it annoys me to no end. *Sigh* just take your time and write what you want to. (TH4T M34N5 Y0U L33T3RS).

Charizard EX
October 28th, 2008, 01:48 AM
I like using good grammar. I hate it when people say,"wut R u do1ng" and things like that.

Charliezard
October 28th, 2008, 02:00 AM
I generally try and use good grammer, but I really do suck :/. If I see a simple mistake I'll fix it, but I won't re-word a entire post...Too lazy :P
When I'm reading other people's writing I don't mind too much as long as it shows a small amount of common sense.

Trap-Eds
October 30th, 2008, 06:58 PM
Run-on sentences annoy me. I just don't want to have to go and read this really long [should it even be called a sentence?] line of words that someone posted and was too lazy to go back and fix. And I don't understand texting. What is the point? Phones are for TALKING. Sheesh.

I tend to use good grammar on the 'net, because, if I don't people probably wouldn't understand me or take me seriously.

Roy G. Biv
October 30th, 2008, 07:14 PM
I do try to use the proper grammar unless I'm purposely talking like a n00b. Apparently I'm pretty good at that >_<;;

Bleuhorn
October 31st, 2008, 12:26 AM
I have been using near-perfect grammar ever since I taught myself in a two-week period of late 1996. Almost always would I make an effort to 100% on each English Literature, World History, Mythology, US History, European History and many other classes involving correct spelling and grammar. These are some of the reasons why I was allowed to teach a few literary classes back in highschool (approximately 2 1/2 years ago, Senior year) Plus, the fact that I have been known to be exceedingly well at emphasizing words, keeping most students interested in the subject.

However, despite the relentless writing and vocabulary, I will admit that I'm not satisfied... So I do believe that I need to learn much more to further my expertise.

Avey
October 31st, 2008, 12:03 PM

I remember when you did type like that. I also remember when you couldn't figure out what a comma is. Good times.

Meh, I normally use good grammar on the internet. I'll always spell words properly, but my grammar can fall to pieces if I'm too lazy to type properly, sleep-deprived or with a close group of friends because I know they know that I'm literate. I have a problem with run-on sentences and I use certain words way too much, but that's about my only problem. I don't need a spellchecker nor do I need to look over my posts. My grammar skills just come naturally to me.

When I read the posts belonging to people who type in 1337 speak, I'm pretty indifferent. Probably because I'm fluent in 1337 speak and I have no problem decoding what someone is saying. I never force people to use proper grammar unless I know they won't take offence, 'cause, you know, it's rude. I've always seen making people use proper grammar as a similar case to forcing one's religion on another. It's just irritating. If someone wants to type properly, that someone will do so. If not, let him/her be. It's a free country.

Saryka
October 31st, 2008, 01:03 PM
I first started out as using good grammar on websites and forums and then horrible grammar on MSN and other IM clients. XD Eventually, I began using better grammar over MSN so people could actually understand me.

Bad grammar is actually one of my pet peeves. Run on sentences are the killer, though; every time I see one of those I'm so tempted to quote them (if I'm on a forum) and just correct every single mistake, regardless of whether or not it would tick them off. XD;

Hawkfish
October 31st, 2008, 01:45 PM
I try my best. But, grammar is not my strongest subject.
Also when people use bad grammar in sentences don't actually bother me. As long as I can read it.

Naturalistick
October 31st, 2008, 04:03 PM
I don't mind acronyms, there's a point to them, flowing a message faster.

Now, this so called leetspeak or chatspeak is just straight down a new interpretation of masochism because it's not needed at all. Anyone can breeze through it, so it's pointless.

I for one always try to use good grammar. I'm not so fluent in 'fancy' vocabulary 'cause my natural language isn't english, but what matters is if I can get my points through or not.
And with good usage of the language, I can.

ErickaVolt
October 31st, 2008, 04:29 PM
[lol, roflcopter]
I practice good language. Spelling, proper punktuation and grammar is important.