PDA

View Full Version : US Elections 2008: The Results, Voting Experience and Consequences

Netto Azure
October 28th, 2008, 05:59 PM
It's the last week of this Historic US Election everyone. I seriously love history for some reason. ^_^
Now as the title suggests this thread will be about the results (Please post them up when it comes up on Nov. 5 'cuz I don't have time D=) Your Voting experience (Talk about your voting problems, use Youtube, etc.) and the Ramifications of this election's results.
Keep the debates and mud-slinging on the debate thread ok? =D I'll try... (http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=152191&page=17)

Election results
U.S. President - Electoral College
http://www.google.com/images/news_check.gifObama (D) - 364
McCain (R) - 162
270 votes needed for presidency

Popular vote - 50 states reporting
Candidates % Votes
McCain (R) 46% 56,712,551
http://www.google.com/images/news_check.gifObama (D) 52% 64,385,746
Barr (L) 0% 492,182
Nader (AI) 1% 664,127

U.S. Senate - 35 seats contested
http://www.google.com/images/news_check.gifDemocrats - 18
Republicans - 14
Net change: +6 Democrats

U.S. House of Rep. - 435 seats contested
http://www.google.com/images/news_check.gifDemocrats - 254
Republicans - 173
Net change: +21 Democrats

Final PC Election Poll Results:
Democratic Party (Obama/Biden...Your Democratic Congressman/Senator) 98 62.42%
Republican Party (McCain/Palin...Your Republican Congressman/Senator) 32 20.38%
Third Party (Green, Liberatarian, Peace & Freedom...etc.) 8 5.10%
I'm disillusioned. It's all campaign rhetoric I won't even bother to vote... 19 12.10%

Results of the Global Poll done by Reader's Digest: ^_^

http://technoqueen.smugmug.com/photos/406804131_9gogQ-L.jpg

And this Poll was done BEFORE the Economic Crisis of 2008. I hate it when I see comments like: "Who cares what other countries think" Seriously when the people who can't look past what happens past their noses, see how interdependent the world is due to Globalization. I would be like "sad....sad...sad..."

For now let's talk about this: 7 Things that can go wrong in this election (Time) (http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,1853246_1853243,00.html)

I think that we seriously need a National Voting Standard. Something like my home-country the Philippines' Commision on Elections (COMELEC) with a non-partisan internal vote-checker such as NAMFREL which is composed of the masses.

Oh and also please recommend a poll that I should put up after the US Elections. ^_^

GunSaberSeraph
October 28th, 2008, 06:18 PM
I agree, it's so ridiculous that there are seperate voting regulations in each state. I mean, this is an election that effects the entire country. This is the exact same problem that George Washington faced with all the Federal/State goverment conficts a couple of years after America became independent.

Volkner's Apprentice
October 28th, 2008, 06:27 PM
I believe a lot of things should be decided at the state level, yet voting stuff gets complicated X_x..

Either way I'll be voting next Tuesday at my HS. ^_^ Wheee.

You scared me; I saw the PC election poll thing and thought it was a national poll. I was like O_O!?!!?!

Netto Azure
October 29th, 2008, 06:39 AM
I believe a lot of things should be decided at the state level, yet voting stuff gets complicated X_x..

Either way I'll be voting next Tuesday at my HS. ^_^ Wheee.

You scared me; I saw the PC election poll thing and thought it was a national poll. I was like O_O!?!!?!

Have fun voting on November 4 at your HS!

Wellll... the PC Election Poll IS an International one since PC is based on the World Wide Interwebs. ^_^

Volkner's Apprentice
October 29th, 2008, 07:08 AM
Have fun voting on November 4 at your HS!

Wellll... the PC Election Poll IS an International one since PC is based on the World Wide Interwebs. ^_^

Shush, you. :P Most people I know have turned in their ballots via absentee because they're away at college. Whee voting. I find voting for the smaller things like Congressman, mayor, etc. is more fun and appealing (even if President obviously means more in the long run.)

Netto Azure
October 30th, 2008, 06:59 AM
Shush, you. :P Most people I know have turned in their ballots via absentee because they're away at college. Whee voting. I find voting for the smaller things like Congressman, mayor, etc. is more fun and appealing (even if President obviously means more in the long run.)

Yeah voting for Congresspeople is more exciting than the Presidential one eh? >_> LOL... But yes Absentee Voting gives more time to think but not as exciting as Nov. 4.

Also Always Look on the Bright Side of Life (Newsweek) (http://www.newsweek.com/id/163449)

speedinglight
October 30th, 2008, 06:32 PM
hmm maybe during election day ill post up results state by state for presidental results which is just as well since pratically EVERY SINGLE PUBLIC (and how can i forget MSNBC, CNN and the like....) NETWORK will be showing the same results!!!

Netto Azure
November 1st, 2008, 01:09 PM
Last Week end you guys! 'till election day (Nov.4) Watch SNL at night k? >_<
Anyways a great article from Neewsweek Magazine on the Nightmare the next President will inherit on January.

Nightmare in Pennsylvania Ave (Excerpt) (http://www.newsweek.com/id/165648)

MEMORANDUM

TO: The president-elect
RE: Foreign policy (http://www.newsweek.com/related.aspx?subject=Foreign+Policy)
FROM: Richard N. Haass, President of the Council on Foreign Relations
There are only two and a half months—76 days, to be precise— between Election Day and your Inauguration, and you will need every one of them to get ready for the world you will inherit. This is not the world you've been discussing on the trail for the last year or more: campaigning and governing could hardly be more different. The former is necessarily done in bold strokes and, to be honest, often approaches caricature. All candidates resist specifying priorities or trade-offs lest they forfeit precious support. You won, but at a price, as some of the things you said were better left unsaid. Even more important, the campaign did not prepare the public for the hard times to come.
There will be days when you will wonder why you worked so hard to get this job. What will make it so difficult is not just all that awaits, but the constraints that will limit what you can actually do. When George W. Bush (http://www.newsweek.com/related.aspx?subject=George+W.+Bush) became president nearly eight years ago the world was largely at peace, the U.S. military was largely at rest, oil was $23 a barrel, the economy was growing at more than 3 percent, $1 was worth 116 yen, the national debt was just under $6 trillion and the federal government was running a sizable budgetary surplus. The September 11 attacks, for all they cost us as a nation, increased the world's willingness to cooperate with us. You, by contrast, will inherit wars in Iraq (http://www.newsweek.com/related.aspx?subject=Iraq) and Afghanistan (http://www.newsweek.com/related.aspx?subject=Afghanistan), tired and stretched armed forces, a global struggle with terrorism, oil that has ranged as high as $150 a barrel, a weaker dollar (now worth 95 yen), substantial anti-American sentiment, a federal budget deficit that could reach $1 trillion in your first year, a ballooning national debt of some $10 trillion and a global economic slowdown that will increase instability in numerous countries.
You will take office two decades after the end of the cold war. What some dubbed the unipolar moment is history. Economic, political and military power is held by many hands, not all of which belong to states, not all of which are benign. This does not mean the United States is weak. To the contrary, this country is still the single most powerful entity in the world. But the United States cannot dominate, much less dictate, and expect that others will follow. There are limits to U.S. resources; at the same time the country has serious vulnerabilities. Enron, Abu Ghraib, Katrina and the financial crisis have taken their toll: America's ability to tell others what to do, or to persuade them through example, is much diminished.
Against this backdrop, you will face specific challenges. Many are to be found in the greater Middle East (http://www.newsweek.com/related.aspx?subject=Middle+East), the part of the world where every president beginning with Jimmy Carter has stubbed his toe. Consider Iraq, the issue that most dominated the foreign policy of Bush. There will be ample time for historians to sort out the wisdom (or lack thereof) of embarking on this costly war of choice. The priorities now are to gradually reduce U.S. force presence, back the integration of Iraq's Sunni minority into national institutions, persuade Arab states to help the government and resume a dialogue with Iran (http://www.newsweek.com/related.aspx?subject=Iran) on Iraq's future. The good news is that many of the arrows in Iraq are finally pointing in the right direction and it will not dominate your presidency. The bad news is that you know you are in for a rough ride when Iraq is the good news.
--------------Continued on Link above-------------

There are a lot of problems for the future. I hope the American People choose wisely and may we as humans weather this storm...

speedinglight
November 2nd, 2008, 07:23 PM
Ok so who ever gets elected will have to inherit the problems we have right now..its just how they handle it that we will judge them for

DonRoyale
November 2nd, 2008, 07:48 PM
I'm Canadian, but seriously, my mom won't shut up about this election.

The attack ads against the Democratic campaign are ridiculous, but even more ridiculous is the fact that so many people buy it. Information like "Obama's a Muslim, he's going to bring terrorism blah blah blah", and other uncalled-for racist and generally conservative comments about Obama and the camp are just insane, and anyone who believes such nonsense is inherently insane.

The decision of which candidate you should vote for should rest on the strength of the candidate's platform, not the candidate who wins the "he said, she said" debate, and certainly not the ethnic background of the candidate.

Personally, I'm all for Obama. He works from the lower-class citizens and makes his way to the higher-class citizens, while McCain is doing the opposite. [b]The last thing rich snobs need is more money. They have enough; the wealth should be shared amongst the people, not hoarded among a select few who, while I will argue can make some more benefitial uses of it, for the most part, will use it to further their own selfish ambitions, rather than sharing the wealth around the selfless, lower-class people who don't give a damn about who has the biggest house or the most money.

I seriously hope Obama wins this election. Frankly, if he doesn't, I give McCain two years at the most before he croaks of old age and Palin takes office. When that happens...pfft, good freakin' luck, America. :S

Alakazam17
November 2nd, 2008, 08:23 PM
I seriously hope Obama wins this election. Frankly, if he doesn't, I give McCain two years at the most before he croaks of old age and Palin takes office. When that happens...pfft, good freakin' luck, America. :S My thoughts exactly. Not really because he's old, but because I am scared at the thought of someone like Palin becoming the president.

I am also Canadian, and I also support Obama. I never really thought of this before, but after seeing the image on the first page, I must admit that all of my non-American friends support Obama. Though my dad thinks McCain will win based solely on the fact that he thinks Americans won't vote for a black man. I disagree with him.

I am hoping Obama will win mainly because he is left-wing, to put it simply. And besides that I'll have to admit I'd be voting against McCain more than for Obama if I could. I really think you guys need a new face in the oval office though, heh. I feel he's going to change the country for the better.

Right now I get the feeling that most non-Americans think negatively of Americans. I've heard countless times that when some Americans go to Europe, they pretend to be Canadians. Given those numbers in the first post, Obama might be someone able to slow that a bit.

Fate Falls
November 3rd, 2008, 06:23 AM
Lol look at that. Every other country in the world wants us to vote Obama. Doesn't that tell you something?? Here, in the United Stupid of America (as Bill Maher says), there are so many uneducated people who really have no idea what's going on around them. Instead, their outlook is, "I believe in Gawd, and I am 100% loyal to this great country! I am goin' to show my patriotism by votin' McCain. He be a gud mayn. He wants ta win dis here war."

>.>

People. Know what? 9/11? Yeah. What do you think that was? That plane wasn't even real! It didn't even have windows on it lol. That was a poor excuse for America to "go to war" with Iraq, since our government realized we wouldn't have enough oil to support us any longer. How else could we get it? We're a war nation with Bush as President. So, why not just steal it? But that's wrong. Our people would hate our nation if we just went over there and took it. What about if we say that they attacked us!? Then we'd have a good reason to bomb the heck out of them! Well, sheesh.

Ugh. Get these Republican idiots out of office.

Sebastien Loeb
November 3rd, 2008, 06:35 AM
In this moment of economic crisis, it would be better to aim at a political management type democrat (the economic crisis, has been caused after all by a republican management).
Being European, I feel me few of part on this matter.

Alakazam17
November 3rd, 2008, 06:42 AM
I wouldn't go that far. I agree that some people would go to great lengths to get what they want, but that's the lives of nearly 3000 people we're talking about. I refuse to say that was anything other than a terrorist attack that actually happened. There is no debate in my opinion, so I'll leave it at that.

What the attacks did do, however, was trigger the start of the U.S. invasion of Afghanistan. As for Iraq, I agree with your other points on it. However, I still think it was a good idea to invade there. The problem I have is the reason they did it, which is not the reason I would have liked it to have been.

Volkner's Apprentice
November 3rd, 2008, 06:52 AM
I agree with Zam on that..don't be ridiculous. No government, especially not one as sane and evolved (contrary to popular belief we are those things XD) as the United States' would do something so horrible as kill that many innocent lives just to go to war. That doesn't even make any sense. Don't try to bring up conspiracy theories here; it's really disgusting. The very fact that you could even come close to accepting that kind of thought is beyond my comprehension. I'd hate to see what your thoughts on other aspects of life are.

When it comes to the election, I'm 60-40 sure Obama has it in the bag, but just like msn.com said today: if Obama wins, he'll make history. If he loses, well..ha.

http://www.slate.com/id/2203420/?GT1=38001

Netto Azure
November 3rd, 2008, 07:39 AM
When it comes to the election, I'm 60-40 sure Obama has it in the bag, but just like msn.com said today: if Obama wins, he'll make history. If he loses, well..ha.

Yeah... A 60-40 Filibuster-Proof Senate! J/K But the Possibility is there. This election is already historic as it is. With the issues discussed in the Debate thread AND the Historic moment of a possibility of an African-American US President.

TRIFORCE89
November 3rd, 2008, 08:31 AM
In this moment of economic crisis, it would be better to aim at a political management type democrat (the economic crisis, has been caused after all by a republican management).
Being European, I feel me few of part on this matter.
Both parties are responsible. It started under Clinton with policies he implemented (he even said so himself a few weeks ago). Continued with Bush and he for some reason ratified those policies. Both parties.

Lol look at that. Every other country in the world wants us to vote Obama. Doesn't that tell you something?? Here, in the United Stupid of America (as Bill Maher says), there are so many uneducated people who really have no idea what's going on around them. Instead, their outlook is, "I believe in Gawd, and I am 100% loyal to this great country! I am goin' to show my patriotism by votin' McCain. He be a gud mayn. He wants ta win dis here war."

>.>

People. Know what? 9/11? Yeah. What do you think that was? That plane wasn't even real! It didn't even have windows on it lol. That was a poor excuse for America to "go to war" with Iraq, since our government realized we wouldn't have enough oil to support us any longer. How else could we get it? We're a war nation with Bush as President. So, why not just steal it? But that's wrong. Our people would hate our nation if we just went over there and took it. What about if we say that they attacked us!? Then we'd have a good reason to bomb the heck out of them! Well, sheesh.

Ugh. Get these Republican idiots out of office.
I like Bill Maher too. But too quote him... "Crazy people who still think the government brought down the Twin Towers in a controlled explosion have to stop pretending that I'm the one who's being naïve. How big a lunatic do you have to be to watch two giant airliners packed with jet fuel slam into buildings on live TV, igniting a massive inferno that burned for two hours, and then think, 'well, if you believe that was the cause...' "

Aurafire
November 3rd, 2008, 10:39 AM
Instead, their outlook is, "I believe in Gawd, and I am 100% loyal to this great country! I am goin' to show my patriotism by votin' McCain. He be a gud mayn. He wants ta win dis here war."

Ouch. Stereotyping people just because they have a southern accent? Since when was believing in God a bad thing? And since when did being from the south make you stupid?

I'll say this in the most polite way I can, but what gives you the right to judge a person simply on where they're from and what their morals are? Bill Clinton is from Arkansas, and he has an accent. I bet you don't hate him, and I bet you don't think he's stupid. But using your logic, since he's from down south, he must be an idiot.

Yeah. Those huge planes you saw hurtling into those buildings? Smoke and mirrors. Those almost 3000 dead people? Just an excuse to go to war for oil money of course! If 9/11 wasn't real, then where the hell did the twin towers go?

*facepalm*

This all stems from an irrational hatred of Bush and his presidency. You people loathe this man as though he was the devil in human form. (I wouldn't doubt that some of you actually think that). What did this man ever do to you to make you absolutely hate his guts? Sure, he made some mistakes, but he's our freakin president. Do you have any idea how hard it is to run a nation like America? You're so quick to judge him and call him stupid and evil and immoral, but don't you dare fault him for doing what he thought was right. America voted him in to office...twice in fact. We only have ourselves to blame for his actions.

And need I point out that we've had a Democratic Congress for two whole years? Why does Bush get all the blame when Congress hasn't done a thing to help any of our problems? Because this election is about Bush and his evil ways and counting down the days until he gets out of office. I think people could care less about Congress sucking. You never hear about that 15% approval rating, but you sure as hell hear about Bush's 30% approval rating. It all stems back to people hating Bush.

Lol...I can see it now. If Obama gets elected and things still don't get better, people are still going to blame Bush and his horrible presidency. "It's not Obama's fault! Look at the country Bush left him!" I hope for all out sakes that Obama is as good as he says he is, because he's got some incredible hype to live up to, and I for one don't think he'll come close to pulling it off.

Fate Falls
November 3rd, 2008, 11:03 AM
[On the South]
Why did I give an example of a Republican from the south? Beginning about 1950, the national Democratic Party's support of the civil rights movement significantly reduced Southern support for the Democratic Party and allowed the Republican Party to make gains in the South by way of its "Southern strategy." Today, the South is considered a stronghold of the Republican Party. During the twentieth century, the South was home to numerous political movements, including the "Republican Revolution" of 1994. In short, the south is considered to be the largest cluster of states to support Republican candidates.

As for religion and God, this goes directly hand-in-hand with Republicans and southerners. The southern United States is well known for their Southern Baptists and very devout Christians. (I, myself, am inclined to think a bit more outside the box and tend to lean towards the views of Bill Maher.) Clearly, I did not go into any of this detail in my original post, but you merely assumed these things from me of which I did not say. Yes, it is true that the south does have poorer education due to their long history of racial problems including legal segregation and discrimination, and the passage of the Civil Rights Acts in the 1960's under a Democratic president and the Republicans' Southern Strategy. Do I personally believe all southerners are incompetent? Hardly. I don't think that's in question here though? Correct me if I'm wrong.

[On the Conspiracy of September 11th]
Of course people died in 9/11. I never said they didn't. That's what's scary.

The time has come to stop using the flag as a blindfold, to stop waving our guns and our gods at each other, to take a close look at the facts which have emerged from the attacks on the World Trade Towers and to recognize the very real possibility, indeed probability, that We The People are the victims of a gigantic and deadly hoax.

Either by incompetence or by design, George W. Bush allowed the 9/11 attacks to happen, and probably was involved in the planning of them. The American people might stand by and allow him to slaughter every nation in the world, but they will not stand for it when they know he participated the mass killing of his own people.

9/11 was a hoax. This is no longer a wild conspiracy assertion; it is a fact, supported by thousands of other verifiable facts, foremost of which are:

The attacks of 9/11 COULD NOT HAVE HAPPENED without the willful failure of the American defense system. In Washington, Air Force pilots demanded to fly but were ordered to stand down. Yet instead of prosecuting the president and military leaders for this unprecedented dereliction of duty, military leaders were promoted and the president was praised for presiding over a defense system that suspiciously failed the most crucial test in its history. None of the deaths would have happened without the deliberate unplugging of America's air defenses.

The twin towers could not have collapsed as a result of burning jet fuel. Most of that fuel was consumed on impact. In the south tower, most of the fuel was spilled outside the building. Heat caused by burning jet fuel does not reach temperatures needed to melt steel. What does stand out as particularly suspicious and still unexplained is that fires raged out of control beneath THREE of the collapsed towers for ONE HUNDRED DAYS, clearly indicating the presence of some kind of substance utilized in the demolition of the structures.

The names of the alleged hijackers, all ostensibly Muslims, were released to the public only hours after the attacks, despite Mueller saying we had no knowledge this would happen. This is an impossible twist of logic. If he didn't know of a plan to strike buildings with planes, how would he know the names of the hijackers? Various artifacts were discovered in strategic places to try to confirm the government's story, but these have all been dismissed as suspicious planting of evidence. Since that time several names on that list have turned up alive and well, living in Arab countries. Yet no attempt has ever been made to update the list. And why were none of these names on the airlines' passenger lists?

Radio communications from firefighters on the upper floors of the Trade Center towers clearly indicate that fires were under control and the structure was in no danger of collapsing.

These are merely a few of the deliberately false statements made by U.S. officials about 9/11. They provide crystal clear evidence that our president, his staff, and many legislators should be indicted on charges of treason, obstruction of justice and mass murder. Above all, these evil men should be removed from their positions of authority before they implement more of their moneymaking murder schemes like the one they are now perpetrating on the innocent people of Iraq.

Consider just a few more of the other unanswered questions from among the thousands of unexplained loose ends that all point to 9/11 being an inside job.

-Who benefited from the suspiciously high numbers of put options purchased prior to September 11 for shares in companies whose stock prices subsequently plummeted, on the supposition that whoever was behind the hijacking was also behind most of the purchases of these put options? And what was the role of the new executive director of the CIA, Buzzy Krongard, who handled these transactions?
-Why was the debris from the collapsed Twin Towers removed from the site with no forensic examination? Why was almost all of it sold to scrap merchants and shipped abroad where it would not be available for scientific examination?
-Why does the government refuse to release any transcripts of communications or any records at all relating to signals of any form transmitted by those jets?
-Why did so many people, from San Francisco Mayor Willie Brown to many employees of companies in the World Trade Center who failed to come to work that day, know in advance that something bad was going to happen on Sept. 11, 2001?
-Why do all the major U.S. media continue to act as if none of these questions is legitimate or relevant?

Today, millions of people around the world are protesting the criminal destruction of the nation of Iraq. But these protests won't change the number of minds necessary to stop America's criminal madmen from continuing with their genocidal aim of enslaving the entire world.

What WILL stop them is spreading the realization that President George W. Bush and his billionaire accomplices in the oil industry perpetrated 9/11 as an excuse to begin the militarization of America for the purpose of world conquest.

History has shown all too clearly the deceived American people WILL support the destruction of faraway countries on phony pretexts of defending so-called freedom.

For more on September 11th, I'd advise you to do a simple search on Google.

[On Bush]
Listening to presidents reporting on the State of the Union, you would conclude that they came from Lake Wobegon, since every one of them, by his account, is well above average. Just once, I'd like to hear one say what would be true of many: "Because of my mistakes, the state of the union has gotten worse."

But none ever does. Even the worst presidents prefer to focus on their successes and ignore their failures. The striking thing about President Bush's final State of the Union address is that even the successes he claims are largely fictional. Judged by his own criteria, the speech was a catalogue of failure in almost every realm.

With one year left in his term, we see a new figure: George Bush, fiscal conservative. He proposed to cut or kill 151 programs at a savings of $18 billion. He threatened a veto if Congress doesn't curb earmarks. He bragged that his new budget "will keep America on track for a surplus in 2012."

He bragged that thanks to our help, hope is on the rise in Afghanistan. In fact, 2007 was the deadliest year for U.S. troops and Afghan civilians since 2001. The Taliban has rebounded. One administration official recently told The Washington Post, "We're seeing definite expanded strongholds. That's not going to stop in 2008. ... If anything, it's gaining momentum." In Afghanistan, things are getting worse, not better.

When he first went to Capitol Hill following his 2001 inauguration, Bush said he and members of Congress should aspire to earn "from our fellow citizens the highest possible praise: Well done, good and faithful servants." Whatever he hears from the American people when he leaves office next January, I'm guessing it won't be that.

For more on Bush's failures, see here (http://www.alternet.org/story/32382/).

Mitchman
November 3rd, 2008, 11:08 AM
I usually dont go into politics as its a very touchy matter but i wanna give my 2 cents:
Mc Cain gets lected president something went wrong. And it could mea very bad things. I wouldnt be suprised fi he didnt follow bush's footsteps.
Obama could make the change. Just that is if the racist minorities let him live long enough.
edit:Aurafire did you just say a few posts up that only 300 people died in 9/11?!@_@ My god it was about 2000+ that were lost. I acually have the luck to have been living in new york the time it happened not to mention that my dad could have been there that day.

Aurafire
November 3rd, 2008, 11:31 AM
I guess I can't force you to not be that opinionated about the south. But you make it sound like there's something wrong with being Republican and/or religious.

You're flat our wrong about 9/11...and over 90% of the country will agree with me. Conspiracy theories have been long proven false, and even those to the very far left agree that it wasn't an inside job. Why don't you search google instead?

And I can accept your views about Bush. That's fine, and even I'll admit he's made mistakes.

I usually dont go into politics as its a very touchy matter but i wanna give my 2 cents:
Mc Cain gets lected president something went wrong. And it could mea very bad things. I wouldnt be suprised fi he didnt follow bush's footsteps.
Obama could make the change. Just that is if the racist minorities let him live long enough.
edit:Aurafire did you just say a few posts up that only 300 people died in 9/11?!@_@ My god it was about 2000+ that were lost. I acually have the luck to have been living in new york the time it happened not to mention that my dad could have been there that day.

Uh....did you read my post? I said 3000....

Mitchman
November 3rd, 2008, 11:35 AM
Whoops!
Anyway hmm wht do you guys think would happen?

Yamikarasu
November 3rd, 2008, 02:33 PM
Well technically I didn't vote in the real election... but my school held a mock election a few weeks ago. Obama ~80% and McCain was 11%. And I live in Utah! Well, Salt Lake City is pretty much solidly democratic, but I thought it would be a little closer.

My Mom voted about a week ago, she was in and out in 15 minutes. So next election I'm definitely voting early.

Netto Azure
November 3rd, 2008, 07:19 PM
Ok you guys. Today's the day. Please help me by posting results, voting experience, etc. In this HISTORIC US ELECTION 2008!

Emii
November 4th, 2008, 10:30 AM
I voted for the first time today! ^_^ It felt so good. =D hopefully the best one will win and do a great job

Akio123
November 4th, 2008, 01:00 PM
I'm at my university and registered back in New York, so I did my absentee ballot and voted for Obama a couple weeks ago. Not exactly exciting, but I still voted!^^

Red1530
November 4th, 2008, 04:43 PM
I voted for the first time today at my former high school. I was in and out with my mother in five minutes, most of which was chatting with a poll worker. My father voted the previous day because he is a poll worker in a different voting district. Also here is a link to streaming returns (http://www.politico.com/electionmap2008/index.html#map).

Aurafire
November 4th, 2008, 05:47 PM
First results are coming in....Kentucky has gone to McCain, while New Hampshire and Pennsylvania, a key battle ground state, have gone to Obama. Based on early numbers, it's not looking good for McCain. (Not like we expected anything else XD)

Fate Falls
November 4th, 2008, 05:55 PM
As expected, Obama got his state of Illinois. Go us! =]

Samurai X
November 4th, 2008, 06:07 PM
Well, this election is pretty much over. Obama has 174 according to most places and he will get 55 more in California for sure, not to mention all of his other predicted wins. Looks like we know who the next president will be, not that we didn't already.

GunSaberSeraph
November 4th, 2008, 08:06 PM
Election Results

Barrack Obama has been declared presidential elect by winning 284 electoral votes.

Yamikarasu
November 4th, 2008, 08:11 PM
FINALLY!!!

BARRACK OBAMA!

Rinnosuke
November 4th, 2008, 08:12 PM
YES BARACK OBAMA Is President!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Geeked
November 4th, 2008, 08:13 PM
Yep, I'm happy as heck..
OBAMA FOR YOUR MAMA!

Emii
November 4th, 2008, 08:16 PM
..so I hope Obama will be as good as everyone thinks. Honestly, I've heard alot of religious people saying stuff that scares the crap out of me. although I'm not really the most religious person.. I hope nothing bad like that is true. I hope he'll be a good pesident. ^_^

Memory
November 4th, 2008, 08:17 PM
YES! He won! Of course if you've been reading this thread I'm sure you already know that. :x
I KNEW IT! I've known for a month Obama would win.

Darkrai Lv.1000
November 4th, 2008, 08:19 PM
woo!!!

Obama is president!!!
like the last person said, i'm happy as heck! this is a wonderful day ppl! for 400 years, since the dawn of presidency, the presidents have all been white. but finally, a man has made history as the first African-American president!
i almost cried tears of joy when i saw the results.

take that McCain! :P

Volkner's Apprentice
November 4th, 2008, 08:21 PM
All I can say is, I sure hope Obama can accomplish most of what he wants to. If he seems to be able to, more power to him. Otherwise it's going to be a long, cold 4 years of more "so!?! is it done yet!? Your amazing plan to fix the US!?!"

wolf
November 4th, 2008, 08:26 PM
Obama is president... I hoped for McCain, but oh well... Obama can handle well I suppose...

GunSaberSeraph
November 4th, 2008, 08:28 PM
I'm still sort of in disbelief, but now I know that I've have truly witnessed history. For the first time in history, America has elected an African-American president. If Obama can live up to his promises, i'm sure the next four years will be one of the greatest presidencies in this country's history.

Emii
November 4th, 2008, 08:28 PM
Aw, McCain sounds so sad.. I get sad when I hear sad people XD

revelp8
November 4th, 2008, 08:30 PM
obama is number 44, but he is number one with being the 1st african american president. woot woot.

Mariah Carey
November 4th, 2008, 08:31 PM
Best. Election. Ever.

Obama deserves to be the president of the USA, and to be the first African-American, epic.

Catsupper
November 4th, 2008, 08:32 PM
Obama FTWW

I knew he would win

solovino
November 4th, 2008, 08:32 PM
Great!

Finally it looks like the US will have a decent President. I hope David Palmer Barack Obama can instaurate the countermeasures needed to fix that bureauratic mess. In practical terms I highly doubt so, but when we look at the hardships and the achievements that have marked the history of african-american US Presidents so far, one can only hope.

Now let's hope he next President is either a woman, a transgenic, an indocumented immigrant or a mystery writer. Little by little the US will recover its bright, common sense will reach again the brains of the people, and the absurdities of the Monroe Doctrine will be finally left behind.

Oh... by the way... I originally rooted for Hillary. Still, right now I'm more than happy.:D

BakingBluePotatoe
November 4th, 2008, 08:34 PM
Guess what McCain did:

MCCAIN CONCEDED THE ELECTION

So I guess that means:

Obama IS OFFICIALLY The President.

God Bless this Country. I'm so damn proud of Virginia.
I'm just shocked that Florida was a blue state. 0.o

wolf
Eh, Obama is a fine president. I was leaning to McCain, but Obama does not seem to bad. The only thing I didn't like about him was that he takes all the money from the people who work for it and gives it to people that need to work more, I might be wrong.

Azzurra
I hope that Obama can go through with his promises for America, and change the US for the better.

I was sure he would win anyway, though.

Mooshykris
November 4th, 2008, 08:40 PM
Now, let's wait to see if anyone besides me actually LIKED of feels sorry for McCain!

~Mooshykris

Otter Mii-kun
November 4th, 2008, 08:45 PM
I'm not expecting much better in an Obama administration, especially when it comes to economics, social programs, and foreign policy. Same would've been for McCain.

I made this banner and used it in my signature on some other message boards I post to (including the Michigan Radio and TV Buzzboard)
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c140/ottermi619/moreofthesame2.png

According to libertarian columnist and writer Lew Rockwell on his LRC Blog at LewRockwell.com (http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/archives/023818.html):
Bush Defeated

That is the one clear message of this election. Like Herbert Hoover, W. is paying the price for a Fed depression he helped ignite. Actually, not like Hoover, since he was a man of peace. Bush is covered in innocent blood.
Anthony Gregory is also responding to the whipping of the GOP (http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/archives/023820.html):
Ha ha, Republicans

I'm already dreading Democratic monopoly government. And yet, I have to laugh at the Republicans right now.

After 40 years, you finally captured Congress in '94. You worked with Clinton to expand the government. You covered up his crimes.

Six years later, you got the presidency. For eight years now, you've had it all. You've doubled the national debt in less than a decade. You've slaughtered a million people. You've torn the soul out of the Bill of Rights.

Today, Americans said no to your ridiculous character politics and politics of fear of the other.

Today, Americans decided they didn't want at least your particular type of sick warmongering.

Today, they said they don't trust you with their wallets any more than anyone else.

Today, they decided they hated you so much, they'd even prefer the Democrats to you. Hahahahaha.

Sometimes we have forgotten how bad the Republicans are. No matter how bad the future is, let us not forget again.

BakingBluePotatoe
November 4th, 2008, 08:46 PM
Eh, Obama is a fine president. I was leaning to McCain, but Obama does not seem to bad. The only thing I didn't like about him was that he takes all the money from the people who work for it and gives it to people that need to work more, I might be wrong.

I think it's a fair trade-off. (I've always supported the thing with "everyone has roughly the same amount of money")

I just hope the Secret Service does a VERY good job protecting Mr.Obama =/
The ONLY thing I don't like about this is that for the next 4 years I'll have to listen to my grandfather whining about a black guy being president (and various other negitivity against Obama)

Emii
November 4th, 2008, 08:48 PM
Now, let's wait to see if anyone besides me actually LIKED of feels sorry for McCain!

~Mooshykris

I felt sorry for McCain.. XD if Obama lost, I would have felt bad for him too, though.. I feel sorry for people alot though, I'm just sensitive that way.

anyway.. WHY doesn't this country choose by the popular vote? they should.. Obama would still win, and it makes alot more sense, IMO.

but who cares, I'm off to Canada within a few years. XD

Volkner's Apprentice
November 4th, 2008, 10:06 PM
I felt sorry for McCain.. XD if Obama lost, I would have felt bad for him too, though.. I feel sorry for people alot though, I'm just sensitive that way.

anyway.. WHY doesn't this country choose by the popular vote? they should.. Obama would still win, and it makes alot more sense, IMO.

but who cares, I'm off to Canada within a few years. XD

I do too, haha. It's a little unfair. Sometimes I almost think the losing candidate should receive a lower ranked position somewhere in office, rather than spending all that money for nothing. *shrug*

JX Valentine
November 4th, 2008, 10:13 PM
I do too, haha. It's a little unfair. Sometimes I almost think the losing candidate should receive a lower ranked position somewhere in office, rather than spending all that money for nothing. *shrug*

That's what they used to do. President got elected, and his opponent scored VP. And then they found out that putting two people who have been at each others' throats and opposing each others' views for almost a year in a position where they had to work together was a bad idea. XD (If I recall correctly, that was one of the problems with Jefferson's term. Or was it a slightly later president?)

Of course, this was also back in the day when people really fought dirty in elections.

Otherwise, my views on the next four years can be summed up essentially by the first line of Otter's last post.

Went
November 5th, 2008, 12:47 AM
I just want to say that I woke up just to see that Obama had won by a great difference. I'm so happy right now, and I'm happy the US didn't disappoint me yet again. Bye Bush. Hello change. I hope he lives up to his hype... and then the world will be a much better place.

Zebra Thunderhead
November 5th, 2008, 04:36 AM
The only thing I'm not so excited for with Obama is the fact that he's going to raise income taxes for people that make over a certain amount and my family does. :\ So our taxes are going to go up, but other than that, I'm excited to have a Democratic President and listen to someone that actually has public speaking skills!

TRIFORCE89
November 5th, 2008, 05:10 AM
The only thing I'm not so excited for with Obama is the fact that he's going to raise income taxes for people that make over a certain amount and my family does. :\ So our taxes are going to go up, but other than that, I'm excited to have a Democratic President and listen to someone that actually has public speaking skills!
Taxes go up as you make more money anyway - regardless of party. It's called progressive taxing. I dislike progressive taxing and I dislike regressive taxing. I don't think anyone should be paying more because they're more successful. I don't think there should be cuts for the which either. I'd like a flat proportional tax.

That said, I think Obama's method will be good for a while because the middle class (and lower) is hurting. Big corporations like tax breaks, but I don't know if the incentive is there. By taking work to other shores they still may be making more money than if they kept workers here and took Obama's tax break.

Mitchman
November 5th, 2008, 05:24 AM
Yes the secret service will do a god job. Hopefully such a good job that when walking obama will have a human shield wall around him. Hmm are the troops still in iraq? If ao then he needs to get them out of there!

Nuke
November 5th, 2008, 07:39 AM
I'm glad with the result even if I couldnt see it until 5 hours after most of you.

I was very happy to see Obama win and McCain very gracious in defeat.

Otter Mii-kun
November 5th, 2008, 09:39 AM
Now that the Republicans are continuing their downfall, the Conservative movement, the Smaller Government movement, the liberty movement, the fiscal responsibility movement, the free markets movement (http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/archives/023824.html), the GOP itself-all have been terminally damaged from the implosion of the Bush Regime.
I'm expecting this Democratic majority to last MUCH LONGER than 40 years-maybe even permanently! (forget the mantra from Karl Rove about a "permanent Republican majority"-any hopes of such were hosed long time ago by the Bush Regime and its tactics.)
According to "Digital Driver" at the Great Lakes Atrium forum (and another Libertarian, similar to me):
"This Republican administration has presided over the biggest government expansion in U.S. history, and they're finally being held accountable for it. I have no sympathy."

Anyways, with Obama now President-elect, maybe the nightmare caused by the Bush regime will finally end, but I'm not too confident that it will.

On to the state and local-level races...
Diane Hathaway has been declared the winner of Michigan Supreme Court Justice. (I bet Mark Brewer at the Michigan Democratic Party is celebrating-the MDP has wanted Taylor out for years!) This also breaks the "conservative" (corporatist) 9-year long 'lock' in the State Supreme Court. Cliff Taylor was originally appointed in 1997 by then-Governor John Engler.
Roddis got 11%, better than I expected. (part of his votes stemmed from the fact that this campaign was very negative.)

In Congressional District 10, Candice Miller has been declared winner of re-election, 67% with 85% precincts reporting.

Both of Michigan's ballot proposals passed. Proposal 1 received 62%, while Proposal 2 received 52% (even though it lost the majority of counties, including Lapeer. Most of the heavier-populated counties passed it, including Genesee, Oakland, Macomb, Wayne, and Washtenaw).

In the 9th Congressional District, Knollenberg is out, Gary Peters is in. Early on as the vote returns were being received, some analysts speculated that some Republican-held county offices in Oakland County (which the 9th Congressional District serves) would be lost to Democrats. These included Sheriff Mike Bouchard and Executive L. Brooks Patterson (who endorsed Knollenberg). However, both these officers won by reasonable margins. Bouchard and Brooks Patterson are "household names" in Oakland County.
The 9th Congressional race was also quite negative-I saw numerous attack ads from both Peters and Knollenberg on Detroit area TV stations.
Controversial assisted-suicide doctor Jack Kevorkian got 2% of the vote.

Another GOP incumbent, Tim Walberg, lost to Democrat Mark Schauer 48 to 46%.

Of the few GOP Congressional candidates that won, Candice Miller appears to have got the most percentage-wise. (Miller is another "household" political name in Michigan-she was the Secretary of State from 1995-2002, and as I said in another thread, is a rumored candidate for Governor in 2010. Also, demographically, the 10th District is generally Republican-voting.)

The Democratic majority in the State House of Representatives, as expected, grew some more. Democrats will very likely also get the majority in the State Senate-up for re-election in 2010, every 4 years, with the Governor. All but a few of the incumbent Senators are term-limited out, including my district's senator (25th, Judson Gilbert, R-Algonac)

In my state House District, Republican Kevin Daley has won by 53% over Democrat Bill Marquardt.

Dana Miller (R) won the Lapeer County Treasurer spot over Democratic challenger Michelle Perry. Incumbent Treasurer Sally Eilerson (R) was voted out in the August 5 state primary.
Prosecutor Byron Konschuh won re-election.
A lot of the other county-level offices, including sheriff, clerk, and register of deeds, had Republicans running unopposed.
All seven of the County Board of Commissioners seats, one Democrat (which is my Commissioner), the rest Republicans, ran unopposed.

In a twist of irony, in Genesee County's Thetford Township Supervisor race, Republican candidate Clyde Howd won that seat over Democratic candidate Cynthia Hicks. (in general, Genesee County is heavily Democratic) Incumbent Supervisor Duke Hatchett (Dem) was ousted in the August primary election in a "very negative" campaign. (http://www.mlive.com/flintjournal/index.ssf/2008/08/sent_packing_thetford_township.html) (in the summer prior to the primary, I saw attack-ad yard signs saying "AX HATCHETT" with an ax falling on the name Hatchett!) In adjacent Vienna Township, the incumbent supervisor Anthony McKerchie (D) lost the primary election to Nancy Belill. McKerchie attempted to re-enter the race as a "write-in" candidate, but Belill won.
Both Hatchett and McKerchie faced recall attempts during their terms in office.
In fact, 13 of Genesee County's 17 townships had supervisor races, and 9 of them kicked out incumbents in the August Primary-including aforementioned Thetford and Vienna Townships. (http://abclocal.go.com/wjrt/story?section=news/local&id=6309389)

http://abclocal.go.com/wjrt/story?section=news/politics&id=6489604&rss=rss-wjrt-article-6489604
http://www.mlive.com/clio/index.ssf/2008/10/cindy_hick_and_clyde_howd_duke.html
http://www.clickondetroit.com/politics/17895926/detail.html
http://www.clickondetroit.com/politics/17896065/detail.html
http://www.clickondetroit.com/politics/17889183/detail.html

Fernando
November 5th, 2008, 09:42 AM
So glad that Obama won he may not have much experience as people say,but his so called Vice President to be has much experience so he will get his help from him.

TRIFORCE89
November 5th, 2008, 10:51 AM
Now that the Republicans are continuing their downfall, the Conservative movement, the Smaller Government movement, the liberty movement, the fiscal responsibility movement, the free markets movement (http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/archives/023824.html), the GOP itself-all have been terminally damaged from the implosion of the Bush Regime.
I'm expecting this Democratic majority to last MUCH LONGER than 40 years-maybe even permanently! (forget the mantra from Karl Rove about a "permanent Republican majority"-any hopes of such were hosed long time ago by the Bush Regime and its tactics.)
According to "Digital Driver" at the Great Lakes Atrium forum (and another Libertarian, similar to me):

Anyways, with Obama now President-elect, maybe the nightmare caused by the Bush regime will finally end, but I'm not too confident that it will.

On to the state and local-level races...

Diane Hathaway has been declared the winner of Michigan Supreme Court Justice. (I bet Mark Brewer at the Michigan Democratic Party is celebrating-the MDP has wanted Taylor out for years!) This also breaks the "conservative" (corporatist) 9-year long 'lock' in the State Supreme Court. Cliff Taylor was originally appointed in 1997 by then-Governor John Engler.
Roddis got 11%, better than I expected. (part of his votes stemmed from the fact that this campaign was very negative.)

In Congressional District 10, Candice Miller has been declared winner of re-election, 67% with 85% precincts reporting.

Both of Michigan's ballot proposals passed. Proposal 1 received 62%, while Proposal 2 received 52% (even though it lost the majority of counties, including Lapeer. Most of the heavier-populated counties passed it, including Genesee, Oakland, Macomb, Wayne, and Washtenaw).

In the 9th Congressional District, Knollenberg is out, Gary Peters is in. Early on as the vote returns were being received, some analysts speculated that some Republican-held county offices in Oakland County (which the 9th Congressional District serves) would be lost to Democrats. These included Sheriff Mike Bouchard and Executive L. Brooks Patterson (who endorsed Knollenberg). However, both these officers won by reasonable margins. Bouchard and Brooks Patterson are "household names" in Oakland County.
The 9th Congressional race was also quite negative-I saw numerous attack ads from both Peters and Knollenberg on Detroit area TV stations.
Controversial assisted-suicide doctor Jack Kevorkian got 2% of the vote.

Another GOP incumbent, Tim Walberg, lost to Democrat Mark Schauer 48 to 46%.

Of the few GOP Congressional candidates that won, Candice Miller appears to have got the most percentage-wise. (Miller is another "household" political name in Michigan-she was the Secretary of State from 1995-2002, and as I said in another thread, is a rumored candidate for Governor in 2010. Also, demographically, the 10th District is generally Republican-voting.)

The Democratic majority in the State House of Representatives, as expected, grew some more. Democrats will very likely also get the majority in the State Senate-up for re-election in 2010, every 4 years, with the Governor. All but a few of the incumbent Senators are term-limited out, including my district's senator (25th, Judson Gilbert, R-Algonac)

In my state House District, Republican Kevin Daley has won by 53% over Democrat Bill Marquardt.

Dana Miller (R) won the Lapeer County Treasurer spot over Democratic challenger Michelle Perry. Incumbent Treasurer Sally Eilerson (R) was voted out in the August 5 state primary.
Prosecutor Byron Konschuh won re-election.
A lot of the other county-level offices, including sheriff, clerk, and register of deeds, had Republicans running unopposed.
All seven of the County Board of Commissioners seats, one Democrat (which is my Commissioner), the rest Republicans, ran unopposed.

In a twist of irony, in Genesee County's Thetford Township Supervisor race, Republican candidate Clyde Howd won that seat over Democratic candidate Cynthia Hicks. (in general, Genesee County is heavily Democratic) Incumbent Supervisor Duke Hatchett (Dem) was ousted in the August primary election in a "very negative" campaign. (http://www.mlive.com/flintjournal/index.ssf/2008/08/sent_packing_thetford_township.html) (in the summer prior to the primary, I saw attack-ad yard signs saying "AX HATCHETT" with an ax falling on the name Hatchett!) In adjacent Vienna Township, the incumbent supervisor Anthony McKerchie (D) lost the primary election to Nancy Belill. McKerchie attempted to re-enter the race as a "write-in" candidate, but Belill won.
Both Hatchett and McKerchie faced recall attempts during their terms in office.
In fact, 13 of Genesee County's 17 townships had supervisor races, and 9 of them kicked out incumbents in the August Primary-including aforementioned Thetford and Vienna Townships. (http://abclocal.go.com/wjrt/story?section=news/local&id=6309389)

http://abclocal.go.com/wjrt/story?section=news/politics&id=6489604&rss=rss-wjrt-article-6489604
http://www.mlive.com/clio/index.ssf/2008/10/cindy_hick_and_clyde_howd_duke.html
http://www.clickondetroit.com/politics/17895926/detail.html
http://www.clickondetroit.com/politics/17896065/detail.html
http://www.clickondetroit.com/politics/17889183/detail.html

I hope there's never a majority held for that long from any party - let alone permanently. That would be horrible. It's all about checks and balances.

Aurafire
November 5th, 2008, 11:42 AM
I hope there's never a majority held for that long from any party - let alone permanently. That would be horrible. It's all about checks and balances.

As well as being horrible, it would never happen. In today's rapidly changing world, it's just not possible for a party to hold power for that long without the people becoming upset. Just look at the current cycle. Since 1984, power has switched four times, including Obama's win. No party since then has controlled the White House for more than 12 years.

Otter Mii-kun
November 5th, 2008, 11:54 AM
I hope there's never a majority held for that long from any party - let alone permanently. That would be horrible. It's all about checks and balances.As well as being horrible, it would never happen. In today's rapidly changing world, it's just not possible for a party to hold power for that long without the people becoming upset.
I would tend to agree with both of you but like I said, the Bush Regime damaged the GOP and the conservatives so badly with its hypocrisy, massive deficit spending, corporatism, statism, and relentless growth of government I can't even begin to describe it.

Worse yet-the previous Republican-majority Congresses went along with both Clinton and Bush to greatly expand the size of government and federal spending, when most of them campaigned for smaller government!

According to Ryan McMaken at LRC (http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/archives/023790.html):
The Bush presidency killed the conservative movement. It went on life support in 2001, and finally dropped dead for good in 2003 after the war in Iraq began. Conservatives, who claimed Bush as their own, either actively cheered or were too spineless to oppose the greatest expansion of government power since FDR.

...Logically speaking, it is impossible to be both for small government at home and for empire abroad simultaneously. Eventually the conservatives had to choose one or the other, and they chose empire over liberty.

...Conservatism latched onto the popularity of libertarian ideals of small and controlled government, and proceeded to pile on an endless array of contradictory big-government theories of militarism, nationalism,and protectionism while endlessly peddling nostaligia for the good ol' days.

JX Valentine
November 5th, 2008, 12:18 PM
I would tend to agree with both of you but like I said, the Bush Regime damaged the GOP and the conservatives so badly with its hypocrisy, massive deficit spending, corporatism, statism, and relentless growth of government I can't even begin to describe it.

So, on that note, any bets on whether or not a third party will pop up to replace the Republicans? I mean, that's what happened way back when in cases like this, right? Whigs ticked off their own members, so the Republican party was born as a splinter group. Republicans ticked off their own members in the mid nineteenth century, so the Democratic party (by old definitions) was born...

I mean, times are different now, so it's possible for the Democratic party to simply hold power for as long as you're predicting thanks to the weakened Republicans, but because we're so used to what is essentially a two-party system, I'm wondering if another party will come along from the people who are fed up with the Republican party but just aren't willing to join the Democrats. (As in, honest curiosity as to what people better versed in politics think about this idea.)

GunSaberSeraph
November 5th, 2008, 12:56 PM
I think it's a fair trade-off. (I've always supported the thing with "everyone has roughly the same amount of money")

I just hope the Secret Service does a VERY good job protecting Mr.Obama =/
The ONLY thing I don't like about this is that for the next 4 years I'll have to listen to my grandfather whining about a black guy being president (and various other negitivity against Obama)

I was just talking to my friend about that, and his father said that if Obama were to get assassinated, then it would cause racial firestorm across the country. I have faith that the secret service will do a good job though.

Extric
November 5th, 2008, 01:39 PM
I was just talking to my friend about that, and his father said that if Obama were to get assassinated, then it would cause racial firestorm across the country. I have faith that the secret service will do a good job though.

They better do. There's a group of KKK at my school and all day they were talking about how the hit on Obama's head got 10x larger than what it was before.

Netto Azure
November 5th, 2008, 01:54 PM
They better do. There's a group of KKK at my school and all day they were talking about how the hit on Obama's head got 10x larger than what it was before.

I hope secret service does their job. i'm SOOOO Happy on the Historic landslide Obama Win. ^_^ I'll comment more later.

zsaberslash
November 5th, 2008, 02:40 PM
I'm just glad that it's all over, news programs here in Britain just wouldn't shut up about the election. ¬_¬

Netto Azure
November 6th, 2008, 12:58 PM
Now that we have had a day to celebrate, reflect, or digest President-Elect Obama's and the stronger Democratic Congress win. Let us talk about what the next administration should do on this nightmare of problems. =/ What should he tackle first as I have put up on the new poll.

How should he use his newfound international and political goodwill? Which major problem should be tackled first after the economy, Healthcare or the Environment? (Energy Independence)

TRIFORCE89
November 6th, 2008, 01:10 PM
Well...the networks had a list of issues and how they ranked to voters and the economy was first and the environment was last. So, I would say he should tackle it in that order.

Extric
November 6th, 2008, 01:32 PM
Even though I don't like it, I've accepted him as President. When he officially gets the office in January he might as well as start off with the Economy.

bugbite250
November 6th, 2008, 02:45 PM
Election Results

Barrack Obama has been declared presidential elect by winning 284 electoral votes.

Actually 364 votes! Oh well. I was rooting for McCain...

Otter Mii-kun
November 6th, 2008, 05:18 PM
As for the issues mentioned in the poll above...first I think the new administration/regime will take up financial "reform" (which will be giving more power to the Federal Reserve and global elitists); environmentalism (which will be imposing carbon taxes and Wall Street-style cap-and-trade programs, mandates for even more ethanol production, among other things); education reform (which will involve universal preschool-through-doctorate, with mandatory full-day kindergarten and continued attendance through at least age 18 or high school graduation, whichever comes later, maybe as high as 21 and/or a bachelor's degree!); and health care (which will involve mandatory health insurance for all, just like Massachusetts, and HillaryCare II, and Ah-nold's proposal).

What they REALLY should be doing (but of course they won't):
Rein in out-of-control federal spending and needless programs.
Put an end to our imperialist foreign policy of toppling Middle East dictators to install puppet "democracies" in the name of "preventing another 9-11" and "promoting freedom".
Change our proven to be disastrous boom-bust monetary policy-at least subject the Federal Reserve to audits (although I'd rather just have the FED shut down altogether-although an audit could very well be a first step to shutting this monster of a bank down for good.)
Repeal all these so-called "free trade" agreements (NAFTA, CAFTA, PNTR) and withdraw from the WTO-all these agreements and organizations have done is promote one-sided preferential trade, blow up our trade deficit, and put us at even greater risk of "trade wars". (How can there even be free trade with multi-hundred page "agreements" and numerous provisions granting preferential treatment to certain "trade partners"?)
Here's just two things they definitely WON'T do:
Repeal the HMO Act, repeal provisions in the tax code that unfairly gives preference to employer-provided health insurance over consumer-chosen plans. Also abolish all federal mandates for specific areas of health insurance coverage.
Abolish the unconstitutional monstrosity known as the federal Department of Education. Where in the Constitution does it give the Federal government the authority to fund or regulate education? The more money they throw at schools, the worse things are-even though the political establishment and their friends in the mainstream media want you to believe that we need to keep spending more money on schools to "improve student achievement" and "be more globally competitive".

Phixum
November 6th, 2008, 06:39 PM
I think the economy situation is the most urgent problem that requires an immediate response. If the economy gets better, health gets better too. That's because studies have shown that there's a linear trend between health of individuals and their socio-economic status. Improving the global (or at least American) economy will enhance the economic status of Americans, which would reflect on their health.

Terrorism and wars in the Middle East... I think this could be easily be solved by withdrawing the US army from the Middle East and not interfering with domestic relations.

Red1530
November 6th, 2008, 07:23 PM
I hope secret service does their job. i'm SOOOO Happy on the Historic landslide Obama Win. ^_^ I'll comment more later.While it is true that Barack Obama won in a landslide in the Electoral Collage, he did not in popular vote. The popular vote was 52.49% to 46.21 in favor of Obama. This article (http://apnews.myway.com/article/20081103/D947L2780.html) explains the concept of a landslide.

I am congraduating President-Elect Obama on his historic win and will hope he will goveren bi-partisanly.

The Infinite Devil Machine
November 6th, 2008, 09:06 PM

~Mooshykris

I feel sorry for the man. He's given so much for the country he loves, and the purpose of his campaign was to serve again. He'll never have the chance now. Maybe he's not the right candidate for the office, but I have nothing but respect for him.

Netto Azure
November 7th, 2008, 07:41 AM
While it is true that Barack Obama won in a landslide in the Electoral Collage, he did not in popular vote. The popular vote was 52.49% to 46.21 in favor of Obama. This article (http://apnews.myway.com/article/20081103/D947L2780.html) explains the concept of a landslide.

I am congratulating President-Elect Obama on his historic win and will hope he will goveren bi-partisanly.

Your right the Popular vote was close, about an 8 million vote difference. =/ But the Electoral College difference was great, No doubts like 2000 or 2004 =/ (He symbolically won North Carolina by a small margin)
But yes I hope he leads Bi-Partisanly because even though I might look heavily Liberal here, I'm still afraid of too much extremism. D=

TRIFORCE89
November 7th, 2008, 08:45 AM
There's been some reports of Powell and even McCain being in his cabinet

Netto Azure
November 7th, 2008, 11:03 AM
There's been some reports of Powell and even McCain being in his cabinet

That's what I call Bi-Partisanship. XD Has anyone heard about "change.gov" ? Talk about using the Internet for transparency and taking comments. O_O

Lucy Lu
November 7th, 2008, 12:31 PM
Now we got Obama as President and Biden as Vice, I really hope they will tackle the Global Economy/Financial Reform. Because right now, it is in bad shape. Everyone in the whole world is hurting economically. The US is the worst...

So they should work on that first and then Health Care.

RubyJB88
November 7th, 2008, 02:54 PM
Totally agree. Also simultaneously at the same time, not forget the post-9/11 stage. It's a tough stressful job to be in now. But it has to be done.

Red1530
November 8th, 2008, 07:51 PM
There's been some reports of Powell and even McCain being in his cabinetIf the report is true it would be another nod by President-Elect Obama to President Lincoln. When President Lincoln created is Cabinet he appointed his political rivals. For example Secretary of State William H. Seward was the front-runner at the Republican Convention but was defeated by Lincoln at the Convention. It was deplomatic skills that help prevent European Intervention in the Civil War.

Totally agree. Also simultaneously at the same time, not forget the post-9/11 stage. It's a tough stressful job to be in now. But it has to be done.Agreed, most people don't realize this is the first transition of power from the September 11 attacks.

fenyx4
November 8th, 2008, 08:13 PM
Yeah, it's kinda a few days overdue, but CONGRATS Obama on winning the Presidency :D :)!!! I can't wait to see his change established so that the U.S. can recover from the last 8 years of Presidential failure.

Tokin
November 8th, 2008, 08:41 PM
I had a measure of support for both candidates, but I mostly supported Obama, now that the results are in, he will have to overcome a hard test the moment he assumes office: the crisis, here's hoping his administration proves capable of handling it and recover, plus improve relations^^

Netto Azure
December 4th, 2008, 08:38 AM
As you know a lot of things has happened over the last month after the US Elections:
*The US is now Officially in a Recession starting December last year (Obviously after the International coordinated efforts to stabilize the Global Economy)
*The Mumbai, India terrorist attacks have put the US in a more difficult position in Afghanistan. Possibly first foreign crisis for President-elect Obama
*The Symbolical 60-40 Filibuster-Proof Democratic Senate is now out of reach after the Republican's won the Georgia Senate Seat. (Minnesota's votes is still being hand-recounted) It's not really that important since a more Bi-Partisan effort in the US Congress will be more effective and appealing to Americans. It would have been more of a blow to the Republicans if Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell of Kentucky was unseated during the US Elections like Tom Daschle was.
*This is turning out to be one of the most Peaceful Transfer of power between the opposing parties on the modern Presidency. Ironically enough for a President-Elect who based his campaign mostly on Change and heavily criticized the Current Incumbent President.
*Obama has named about half of his cabinet and other appointments.

List of Appointments:
Secretaries:
Secretary of State: Hillary Clinton (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/us_elections_2008/7716467.stm#clinton)
Defence Secretary: Robert Gates (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/us_elections_2008/7716467.stm#gates)
Treasury Secretary: Timothy Geithner (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/us_elections_2008/7716467.stm#geithner)
Health Secretary: Tom Daschle (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/us_elections_2008/7716467.stm#daschle)
Attorney General (Justice Secretary): Eric Holder (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/us_elections_2008/7716467.stm#holder)
Homeland Security Secretary: Janet Napolitano (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/us_elections_2008/7716467.stm#napolitano)
UN ambassador: Susan Rice (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/us_elections_2008/7716467.stm#rice)
Commerce Secretary: Bill Richardson (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/us_elections_2008/7716467.stm#richardson)

White House:
National Security Adviser: General James Jones (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/us_elections_2008/7759089.stm#jones)
National Economic Council: Lawrence Summers (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/us_elections_2008/7759089.stm#summers)
Chief of Staff: Rahm Emanuel (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/us_elections_2008/7759089.stm#emanuel)
Senior adviser: David Axelrod (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/us_elections_2008/7759089.stm#axelrod)
Senior adviser: Valerie Jarrett (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/us_elections_2008/7759089.stm#jarrett)
Transition co-chair: John Podesta (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/us_elections_2008/7759089.stm#podesta)
Senior adviser: Pete Rouse (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/us_elections_2008/7759089.stm#rouse)
Press secretary: Robert Gibbs (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/us_elections_2008/7759089.stm#gibbs)
White House counsel: Greg Craig (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/us_elections_2008/7759089.stm#craig)
Assistant for legislative affairs: Phil Schiliro (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/us_elections_2008/7759089.stm#schiliro)
VP chief of staff: Ron Klain (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/us_elections_2008/7759089.stm#klain)

President-Elect Obama's list of Major Priorities. In order of importance according to the President-Elect:

Primary Goals:
1. Stabilizing and reforming the Financial System
2. An "Apollo-like" investment in Energy Independence and tackling Global Climate-Change
3. Establishing Universal Health care in the United States
4. Tax-cuts for the Middle-Class
5. Education Reform

Secondary Goals:
6. Improving Foreign Policy (Closing Guantanamo Bay, Withdrawing from Iraq)
7.Renegotiating Trade Deals and Agreements
8. Immigration Reform

As we can see, his Primary Goals are both Internationally and domestically needed for Global Competitiveness and United States security.

Also in north of the border (Canada): A Political Storm is brewing after the Opposition Parties (Liberals, New Democratic Party, and Bloc Quebec) have declared to forming a coalition to topple the recently elected Conservative Minority Government "due to the Economic Crisis." I truly am against it due to it's undermining of democracy.

If you live in Canada this petition's for you:http://canadians4democracy.ca/index.php?lang=e

Canada halts Parliament amid row. (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7765206.stm)
Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper has won a bid to suspend parliament, blocking an opposition attempt to topple his minority government.

Also I can't help but laugh at this comic XD:
http://images.salon.com/comics/tomo/2008/12/09/tomo/story.jpg
(http://images.salon.com/comics/tomo/2008/12/09/tomo/story.jpg)

Red1530
December 7th, 2008, 01:49 PM
In a surprising development Rep. William Jefferson (D-La.) lost his bid for reelection (http://www.politico.com/blogs/scorecard/1208/Holy_Cao_Republican_defeats_Jefferson.html) to Joseph Cao. Joseph Cao Vietnam when he was a child and is the first Vietnamese-American to be elected to Congress. The election was postponed till December because of damage caused by Hurricane Gustav. Jefferson's defeat was shocking despite the fact he has been under indictment for bribery since June 2007.

Netto Azure
December 19th, 2008, 08:31 AM
Well since everyone's in the Winter Cheer...Ifelt compelled to post this. ^_^
http://action.1sky.org/images/1sky-ecard-2008-resolutions-landing-400px.jpg

Well as everyone know...The Illinois Governor's corruption has thrown Senate appointments into chaos as potential challengers are pushed away...More Secretary appointments...etc...More later. =P