• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

US Elections 2008: The Results, Voting Experience and Consequences

What is the MOST important Global/Domestic Issue for the next US Administration?

• Global Economy/Financial Reform

Votes: 10 52.6%
  • Global Poverty

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Healthcare Reform

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Environment

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Human Rights

• Terrorism/Wars in the Middle East

• International Trade

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nuclear Proliferation

• Don't Know

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Years
It's the last week of this Historic US Election everyone. I seriously love history for some reason. ^_^
Now as the title suggests this thread will be about the results (Please post them up when it comes up on Nov. 5 'cuz I don't have time D=) Your Voting experience (Talk about your voting problems, use Youtube, etc.) and the Ramifications of this election's results.
Keep the debates and mud-slinging on the debate thread ok? =D I'll try...

Election results
U.S. President - Electoral College
news_check.gif
Obama (D) - 364
McCain (R) - 162
270 votes needed for presidency

Popular vote
- 50 states reporting

Candidates
% Votes
McCain (R)
46% 56,712,551
news_check.gif
Obama (D)
52% 64,385,746
Barr (L)
0% 492,182
Nader (AI)
1% 664,127

U.S. Senate - 35 seats contested
news_check.gif
Democrats - 18
Republicans - 14
Net change: +6 Democrats

U.S. House of Rep. - 435 seats contested
news_check.gif
Democrats - 254
Republicans - 173
Net change: +21 Democrats

Final PC Election Poll Results:
Democratic Party (Obama/Biden...Your Democratic Congressman/Senator) 98 62.42%

Republican Party (McCain/Palin...Your Republican Congressman/Senator) 32 20.38%

Third Party (Green, Liberatarian, Peace & Freedom...etc.)
8 5.10%
I'm disillusioned. It's all campaign rhetoric I won't even bother to vote...
19 12.10%

Results of the Global Poll done by Reader's Digest: ^_^

406804131_9gogQ-L.jpg

And this Poll was done BEFORE the Economic Crisis of 2008. I hate it when I see comments like: "Who cares what other countries think" Seriously when the people who can't look past what happens past their noses, see how interdependent the world is due to Globalization. I would be like "sad....sad...sad..."

For now let's talk about this: 7 Things that can go wrong in this election (Time)

I think that we seriously need a National Voting Standard. Something like my home-country the Philippines' Commision on Elections (COMELEC) with a non-partisan internal vote-checker such as NAMFREL which is composed of the masses.

Oh and also please recommend a poll that I should put up after the US Elections. ^_^

Last edited:

GunSaberSeraph

Durandal of the Devic Era
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 30, 2016
I agree, it's so ridiculous that there are seperate voting regulations in each state. I mean, this is an election that effects the entire country. This is the exact same problem that George Washington faced with all the Federal/State goverment conficts a couple of years after America became independent.

Volkner's Apprentice

PC Veteran Prize Fighter
Years
I believe a lot of things should be decided at the state level, yet voting stuff gets complicated X_x..

Either way I'll be voting next Tuesday at my HS. ^_^ Wheee.

You scared me; I saw the PC election poll thing and thought it was a national poll. I was like O_O!?!!?!

Years
Well...

I believe a lot of things should be decided at the state level, yet voting stuff gets complicated X_x..

Either way I'll be voting next Tuesday at my HS. ^_^ Wheee.

You scared me; I saw the PC election poll thing and thought it was a national poll. I was like O_O!?!!?!

Have fun voting on November 4 at your HS!

Wellll... the PC Election Poll IS an International one since PC is based on the World Wide Interwebs. ^_^

Volkner's Apprentice

PC Veteran Prize Fighter
Years
Have fun voting on November 4 at your HS!

Wellll... the PC Election Poll IS an International one since PC is based on the World Wide Interwebs. ^_^

Shush, you. :P Most people I know have turned in their ballots via absentee because they're away at college. Whee voting. I find voting for the smaller things like Congressman, mayor, etc. is more fun and appealing (even if President obviously means more in the long run.)

Years
That's funny....

Shush, you. :P Most people I know have turned in their ballots via absentee because they're away at college. Whee voting. I find voting for the smaller things like Congressman, mayor, etc. is more fun and appealing (even if President obviously means more in the long run.)

Yeah voting for Congresspeople is more exciting than the Presidential one eh? >_> LOL... But yes Absentee Voting gives more time to think but not as exciting as Nov. 4.

Also Always Look on the Bright Side of Life (Newsweek)

speedinglight

Normal Human
Years
hmm maybe during election day ill post up results state by state for presidental results which is just as well since pratically EVERY SINGLE PUBLIC (and how can i forget MSNBC, CNN and the like....) NETWORK will be showing the same results!!!

Last edited:
Years
Nightmare on the White House!

Last Week end you guys! 'till election day (Nov.4) Watch SNL at night k? >_<
Anyways a great article from Neewsweek Magazine on the Nightmare the next President will inherit on January.

Nightmare in Pennsylvania Ave (Excerpt)

MEMORANDUM

TO: The president-elect
RE: Foreign policy
FROM: Richard N. Haass, President of the Council on Foreign Relations

There are only two and a half months—76 days, to be precise— between Election Day and your Inauguration, and you will need every one of them to get ready for the world you will inherit. This is not the world you've been discussing on the trail for the last year or more: campaigning and governing could hardly be more different. The former is necessarily done in bold strokes and, to be honest, often approaches caricature. All candidates resist specifying priorities or trade-offs lest they forfeit precious support. You won, but at a price, as some of the things you said were better left unsaid. Even more important, the campaign did not prepare the public for the hard times to come.
There will be days when you will wonder why you worked so hard to get this job. What will make it so difficult is not just all that awaits, but the constraints that will limit what you can actually do. When George W. Bush became president nearly eight years ago the world was largely at peace, the U.S. military was largely at rest, oil was $23 a barrel, the economy was growing at more than 3 percent, $1 was worth 116 yen, the national debt was just under $6 trillion and the federal government was running a sizable budgetary surplus. The September 11 attacks, for all they cost us as a nation, increased the world's willingness to cooperate with us. You, by contrast, will inherit wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, tired and stretched armed forces, a global struggle with terrorism, oil that has ranged as high as $150 a barrel, a weaker dollar (now worth 95 yen), substantial anti-American sentiment, a federal budget deficit that could reach $1 trillion in your first year, a ballooning national debt of some $10 trillion and a global economic slowdown that will increase instability in numerous countries.
You will take office two decades after the end of the cold war. What some dubbed the unipolar moment is history. Economic, political and military power is held by many hands, not all of which belong to states, not all of which are benign. This does not mean the United States is weak. To the contrary, this country is still the single most powerful entity in the world. But the United States cannot dominate, much less dictate, and expect that others will follow. There are limits to U.S. resources; at the same time the country has serious vulnerabilities. Enron, Abu Ghraib, Katrina and the financial crisis have taken their toll: America's ability to tell others what to do, or to persuade them through example, is much diminished.
Against this backdrop, you will face specific challenges. Many are to be found in the greater Middle East, the part of the world where every president beginning with Jimmy Carter has stubbed his toe. Consider Iraq, the issue that most dominated the foreign policy of Bush. There will be ample time for historians to sort out the wisdom (or lack thereof) of embarking on this costly war of choice. The priorities now are to gradually reduce U.S. force presence, back the integration of Iraq's Sunni minority into national institutions, persuade Arab states to help the government and resume a dialogue with Iran on Iraq's future. The good news is that many of the arrows in Iraq are finally pointing in the right direction and it will not dominate your presidency. The bad news is that you know you are in for a rough ride when Iraq is the good news.
--------------Continued on Link above-------------

There are a lot of problems for the future. I hope the American People choose wisely and may we as humans weather this storm...

DonRoyale

Get on my choppa!
Years
I'm Canadian, but seriously, my mom won't shut up about this election.

The attack ads against the Democratic campaign are ridiculous, but even more ridiculous is the fact that so many people buy it. Information like "Obama's a Muslim, he's going to bring terrorism blah blah blah", and other uncalled-for racist and generally conservative comments about Obama and the camp are just insane, and anyone who believes such nonsense is inherently insane.

The decision of which candidate you should vote for should rest on the strength of the candidate's platform, not the candidate who wins the "he said, she said" debate, and certainly not the ethnic background of the candidate.

Personally, I'm all for Obama. He works from the lower-class citizens and makes his way to the higher-class citizens, while McCain is doing the opposite. The last thing rich snobs need is more money. They have enough; the wealth should be shared amongst the people, not hoarded among a select few who, while I will argue can make some more benefitial uses of it, for the most part, will use it to further their own selfish ambitions, rather than sharing the wealth around the selfless, lower-class people who don't give a damn about who has the biggest house or the most money.

I seriously hope Obama wins this election. Frankly, if he doesn't, I give McCain two years at the most before he croaks of old age and Palin takes office. When that happens...pfft, good freakin' luck, America. :S

Alakazam17

[b]Long time no see![/b]
Years
I seriously hope Obama wins this election. Frankly, if he doesn't, I give McCain two years at the most before he croaks of old age and Palin takes office. When that happens...pfft, good freakin' luck, America. :S
My thoughts exactly. Not really because he's old, but because I am scared at the thought of someone like Palin becoming the president.

I am also Canadian, and I also support Obama. I never really thought of this before, but after seeing the image on the first page, I must admit that all of my non-American friends support Obama. Though my dad thinks McCain will win based solely on the fact that he thinks Americans won't vote for a black man. I disagree with him.

I am hoping Obama will win mainly because he is left-wing, to put it simply. And besides that I'll have to admit I'd be voting against McCain more than for Obama if I could. I really think you guys need a new face in the oval office though, heh. I feel he's going to change the country for the better.

Right now I get the feeling that most non-Americans think negatively of Americans. I've heard countless times that when some Americans go to Europe, they pretend to be Canadians. Given those numbers in the first post, Obama might be someone able to slow that a bit.

Fate Falls

Pokémon Researcher
Years
Lol look at that. Every other country in the world wants us to vote Obama. Doesn't that tell you something?? Here, in the United Stupid of America (as Bill Maher says), there are so many uneducated people who really have no idea what's going on around them. Instead, their outlook is, "I believe in Gawd, and I am 100% loyal to this great country! I am goin' to show my patriotism by votin' McCain. He be a gud mayn. He wants ta win dis here war."

>.>

People. Know what? 9/11? Yeah. What do you think that was? That plane wasn't even real! It didn't even have windows on it lol. That was a poor excuse for America to "go to war" with Iraq, since our government realized we wouldn't have enough oil to support us any longer. How else could we get it? We're a war nation with Bush as President. So, why not just steal it? But that's wrong. Our people would hate our nation if we just went over there and took it. What about if we say that they attacked us!? Then we'd have a good reason to bomb the heck out of them! Well, sheesh.

Ugh. Get these Republican idiots out of office.

Sebastien Loeb

Motorsport Trainer
Years
  • Age 39
  • Seen Mar 6, 2010
In this moment of economic crisis, it would be better to aim at a political management type democrat (the economic crisis, has been caused after all by a republican management).
Being European, I feel me few of part on this matter.

Alakazam17

[b]Long time no see![/b]
Years
I wouldn't go that far. I agree that some people would go to great lengths to get what they want, but that's the lives of nearly 3000 people we're talking about. I refuse to say that was anything other than a terrorist attack that actually happened. There is no debate in my opinion, so I'll leave it at that.

What the attacks did do, however, was trigger the start of the U.S. invasion of Afghanistan. As for Iraq, I agree with your other points on it. However, I still think it was a good idea to invade there. The problem I have is the reason they did it, which is not the reason I would have liked it to have been.

Volkner's Apprentice

PC Veteran Prize Fighter
Years
I agree with Zam on that..don't be ridiculous. No government, especially not one as sane and evolved (contrary to popular belief we are those things XD) as the United States' would do something so horrible as kill that many innocent lives just to go to war. That doesn't even make any sense. Don't try to bring up conspiracy theories here; it's really disgusting. The very fact that you could even come close to accepting that kind of thought is beyond my comprehension. I'd hate to see what your thoughts on other aspects of life are.

When it comes to the election, I'm 60-40 sure Obama has it in the bag, but just like msn.com said today: if Obama wins, he'll make history. If he loses, well..ha.

http://www.slate.com/id/2203420/?GT1=38001

Years
=P

When it comes to the election, I'm 60-40 sure Obama has it in the bag, but just like msn.com said today: if Obama wins, he'll make history. If he loses, well..ha.

Yeah... A 60-40 Filibuster-Proof Senate! J/K But the Possibility is there. This election is already historic as it is. With the issues discussed in the Debate thread AND the Historic moment of a possibility of an African-American US President.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
In this moment of economic crisis, it would be better to aim at a political management type democrat (the economic crisis, has been caused after all by a republican management).
Being European, I feel me few of part on this matter.
Both parties are responsible. It started under Clinton with policies he implemented (he even said so himself a few weeks ago). Continued with Bush and he for some reason ratified those policies. Both parties.

Lol look at that. Every other country in the world wants us to vote Obama. Doesn't that tell you something?? Here, in the United Stupid of America (as Bill Maher says), there are so many uneducated people who really have no idea what's going on around them. Instead, their outlook is, "I believe in Gawd, and I am 100% loyal to this great country! I am goin' to show my patriotism by votin' McCain. He be a gud mayn. He wants ta win dis here war."

>.>

People. Know what? 9/11? Yeah. What do you think that was? That plane wasn't even real! It didn't even have windows on it lol. That was a poor excuse for America to "go to war" with Iraq, since our government realized we wouldn't have enough oil to support us any longer. How else could we get it? We're a war nation with Bush as President. So, why not just steal it? But that's wrong. Our people would hate our nation if we just went over there and took it. What about if we say that they attacked us!? Then we'd have a good reason to bomb the heck out of them! Well, sheesh.

Ugh. Get these Republican idiots out of office.
I like Bill Maher too. But too quote him... "Crazy people who still think the government brought down the Twin Towers in a controlled explosion have to stop pretending that I'm the one who's being naïve. How big a lunatic do you have to be to watch two giant airliners packed with jet fuel slam into buildings on live TV, igniting a massive inferno that burned for two hours, and then think, 'well, if you believe that was the cause...' "

Aurafire

provider of cake
Years
Instead, their outlook is, "I believe in Gawd, and I am 100% loyal to this great country! I am goin' to show my patriotism by votin' McCain. He be a gud mayn. He wants ta win dis here war."

Ouch. Stereotyping people just because they have a southern accent? Since when was believing in God a bad thing? And since when did being from the south make you stupid?

I'll say this in the most polite way I can, but what gives you the right to judge a person simply on where they're from and what their morals are? Bill Clinton is from Arkansas, and he has an accent. I bet you don't hate him, and I bet you don't think he's stupid. But using your logic, since he's from down south, he must be an idiot.

Yeah. Those huge planes you saw hurtling into those buildings? Smoke and mirrors. Those almost 3000 dead people? Just an excuse to go to war for oil money of course! If 9/11 wasn't real, then where the hell did the twin towers go?

*facepalm*

This all stems from an irrational hatred of Bush and his presidency. You people loathe this man as though he was the devil in human form. (I wouldn't doubt that some of you actually think that). What did this man ever do to you to make you absolutely hate his guts? Sure, he made some mistakes, but he's our freakin president. Do you have any idea how hard it is to run a nation like America? You're so quick to judge him and call him stupid and evil and immoral, but don't you dare fault him for doing what he thought was right. America voted him in to office...twice in fact. We only have ourselves to blame for his actions.

And need I point out that we've had a Democratic Congress for two whole years? Why does Bush get all the blame when Congress hasn't done a thing to help any of our problems? Because this election is about Bush and his evil ways and counting down the days until he gets out of office. I think people could care less about Congress sucking. You never hear about that 15% approval rating, but you sure as hell hear about Bush's 30% approval rating. It all stems back to people hating Bush.

Lol...I can see it now. If Obama gets elected and things still don't get better, people are still going to blame Bush and his horrible presidency. "It's not Obama's fault! Look at the country Bush left him!" I hope for all out sakes that Obama is as good as he says he is, because he's got some incredible hype to live up to, and I for one don't think he'll come close to pulling it off.

Fate Falls

Pokémon Researcher
Years
[On the South]
Why did I give an example of a Republican from the south? Beginning about 1950, the national Democratic Party's support of the civil rights movement significantly reduced Southern support for the Democratic Party and allowed the Republican Party to make gains in the South by way of its "Southern strategy." Today, the South is considered a stronghold of the Republican Party. During the twentieth century, the South was home to numerous political movements, including the "Republican Revolution" of 1994. In short, the south is considered to be the largest cluster of states to support Republican candidates.

As for religion and God, this goes directly hand-in-hand with Republicans and southerners. The southern United States is well known for their Southern Baptists and very devout Christians. (I, myself, am inclined to think a bit more outside the box and tend to lean towards the views of Bill Maher.) Clearly, I did not go into any of this detail in my original post, but you merely assumed these things from me of which I did not say. Yes, it is true that the south does have poorer education due to their long history of racial problems including legal segregation and discrimination, and the passage of the Civil Rights Acts in the 1960's under a Democratic president and the Republicans' Southern Strategy. Do I personally believe all southerners are incompetent? Hardly. I don't think that's in question here though? Correct me if I'm wrong.

[On the Conspiracy of September 11th]
Of course people died in 9/11. I never said they didn't. That's what's scary.

The time has come to stop using the flag as a blindfold, to stop waving our guns and our gods at each other, to take a close look at the facts which have emerged from the attacks on the World Trade Towers and to recognize the very real possibility, indeed probability, that We The People are the victims of a gigantic and deadly hoax.

Either by incompetence or by design, George W. Bush allowed the 9/11 attacks to happen, and probably was involved in the planning of them. The American people might stand by and allow him to slaughter every nation in the world, but they will not stand for it when they know he participated the mass killing of his own people.

9/11 was a hoax. This is no longer a wild conspiracy assertion; it is a fact, supported by thousands of other verifiable facts, foremost of which are:

The attacks of 9/11 COULD NOT HAVE HAPPENED without the willful failure of the American defense system. In Washington, Air Force pilots demanded to fly but were ordered to stand down. Yet instead of prosecuting the president and military leaders for this unprecedented dereliction of duty, military leaders were promoted and the president was praised for presiding over a defense system that suspiciously failed the most crucial test in its history. None of the deaths would have happened without the deliberate unplugging of America's air defenses.

The twin towers could not have collapsed as a result of burning jet fuel. Most of that fuel was consumed on impact. In the south tower, most of the fuel was spilled outside the building. Heat caused by burning jet fuel does not reach temperatures needed to melt steel. What does stand out as particularly suspicious and still unexplained is that fires raged out of control beneath THREE of the collapsed towers for ONE HUNDRED DAYS, clearly indicating the presence of some kind of substance utilized in the demolition of the structures.

The names of the alleged hijackers, all ostensibly Muslims, were released to the public only hours after the attacks, despite Mueller saying we had no knowledge this would happen. This is an impossible twist of logic. If he didn't know of a plan to strike buildings with planes, how would he know the names of the hijackers? Various artifacts were discovered in strategic places to try to confirm the government's story, but these have all been dismissed as suspicious planting of evidence. Since that time several names on that list have turned up alive and well, living in Arab countries. Yet no attempt has ever been made to update the list. And why were none of these names on the airlines' passenger lists?

Radio communications from firefighters on the upper floors of the Trade Center towers clearly indicate that fires were under control and the structure was in no danger of collapsing.

These are merely a few of the deliberately false statements made by U.S. officials about 9/11. They provide crystal clear evidence that our president, his staff, and many legislators should be indicted on charges of treason, obstruction of justice and mass murder. Above all, these evil men should be removed from their positions of authority before they implement more of their moneymaking murder schemes like the one they are now perpetrating on the innocent people of Iraq.

Consider just a few more of the other unanswered questions from among the thousands of unexplained loose ends that all point to 9/11 being an inside job.

-Who benefited from the suspiciously high numbers of put options purchased prior to September 11 for shares in companies whose stock prices subsequently plummeted, on the supposition that whoever was behind the hijacking was also behind most of the purchases of these put options? And what was the role of the new executive director of the CIA, Buzzy Krongard, who handled these transactions?
-Why was the debris from the collapsed Twin Towers removed from the site with no forensic examination? Why was almost all of it sold to scrap merchants and shipped abroad where it would not be available for scientific examination?
-Why does the government refuse to release any transcripts of communications or any records at all relating to signals of any form transmitted by those jets?
-Why did so many people, from San Francisco Mayor Willie Brown to many employees of companies in the World Trade Center who failed to come to work that day, know in advance that something bad was going to happen on Sept. 11, 2001?
-Why do all the major U.S. media continue to act as if none of these questions is legitimate or relevant?

Today, millions of people around the world are protesting the criminal destruction of the nation of Iraq. But these protests won't change the number of minds necessary to stop America's criminal madmen from continuing with their genocidal aim of enslaving the entire world.

What WILL stop them is spreading the realization that President George W. Bush and his billionaire accomplices in the oil industry perpetrated 9/11 as an excuse to begin the militarization of America for the purpose of world conquest.

History has shown all too clearly the deceived American people WILL support the destruction of faraway countries on phony pretexts of defending so-called freedom.

For more on September 11th, I'd advise you to do a simple search on Google.

[On Bush]
Listening to presidents reporting on the State of the Union, you would conclude that they came from Lake Wobegon, since every one of them, by his account, is well above average. Just once, I'd like to hear one say what would be true of many: "Because of my mistakes, the state of the union has gotten worse."

But none ever does. Even the worst presidents prefer to focus on their successes and ignore their failures. The striking thing about President Bush's final State of the Union address is that even the successes he claims are largely fictional. Judged by his own criteria, the speech was a catalogue of failure in almost every realm.

With one year left in his term, we see a new figure: George Bush, fiscal conservative. He proposed to cut or kill 151 programs at a savings of $18 billion. He threatened a veto if Congress doesn't curb earmarks. He bragged that his new budget "will keep America on track for a surplus in 2012."

He bragged that thanks to our help, hope is on the rise in Afghanistan. In fact, 2007 was the deadliest year for U.S. troops and Afghan civilians since 2001. The Taliban has rebounded. One administration official recently told The Washington Post, "We're seeing definite expanded strongholds. That's not going to stop in 2008. ... If anything, it's gaining momentum." In Afghanistan, things are getting worse, not better.

When he first went to Capitol Hill following his 2001 inauguration, Bush said he and members of Congress should aspire to earn "from our fellow citizens the highest possible praise: Well done, good and faithful servants." Whatever he hears from the American people when he leaves office next January, I'm guessing it won't be that.

For more on Bush's failures, see here.

Last edited:

Mitchman

Banned
Years
I usually dont go into politics as its a very touchy matter but i wanna give my 2 cents:
Mc Cain gets lected president something went wrong. And it could mea very bad things. I wouldnt be suprised fi he didnt follow bush's footsteps.
Obama could make the change. Just that is if the racist minorities let him live long enough.
edit:Aurafire did you just say a few posts up that only 300 people died in 9/11?!@_@ My god it was about 2000+ that were lost. I acually have the luck to have been living in new york the time it happened not to mention that my dad could have been there that day.

Back