PDA

View Full Version : Do You Like Viz's Translations?

Mileyangel
October 30th, 2008, 06:14 PM
I think that Viz did an okay job, but what bugged me was that they tried to "Americanize" everything way too much. Especially in the early chapters. Volume 1 was the hardest to read. But, what do you think?

Vernikova
October 30th, 2008, 06:20 PM
I don't read any of the comics so don't blame me.

VIZ is a great dubbing company so it would be safe to assume that it does that with comics too.

But when you say Americanize, do you mean the names?

Ryousha
October 30th, 2008, 07:48 PM
No they meant by the hairstyle they tried to edit everything like the cover. but eventually chuang yi took their place and gave all titles their original cover looks.

invisible-chan
November 1st, 2008, 05:48 PM
It was mediocre. I'd have been a little happier had they not mirrored it.

Mileyangel
November 2nd, 2008, 02:56 PM
No, dialogue-wise. Example, "That is so dope!" volume 1, chapter 9.

Vernikova
November 2nd, 2008, 02:59 PM
Wow. I thought VIZ Media had great translaters. Is it better now at least?

FairyGarland
November 3rd, 2008, 01:41 PM
I think that Viz did an okay job, but what bugged me was that they tried to "Americanize" everything way too much. Especially in the early chapters. Volume 1 was the hardest to read. But, what do you think?
Yes Viz do try to Americanize things too much. Personally I hate how they censor the original stuff and how they stopped Pokemon Adventures at volume 7.

Mileyangel
November 3rd, 2008, 02:39 PM
Viz does and okay job with other mangas, such as Inuyasha, but Pokemon was nearly butchered. Also, there is a huge difference in personality and speech in Red between Volume 1 and Volume 2. He makes puns in every chapter in the first volume, and barely makes any at all in the following volume or anything else. How they shaped Blue really disappointed me. They made her so bratty while in the original she was only slightly bratty.

invisible-chan
November 3rd, 2008, 07:47 PM
That's what I meant. It was okay, but some things such as that(is it an actual quote?) really bugged me. I really wish they didn't try to "modernize" their words.

bubblewrap
November 3rd, 2008, 08:13 PM
That is so dope??
You gotta be kidding me. xD

Mileyangel
November 3rd, 2008, 09:01 PM
That is so dope??
You gotta be kidding me. xD

I think that the translators were on dope.

bubblewrap
November 3rd, 2008, 09:24 PM
I think that the translators were on dope.
xDDDD
So true. That's my new catchphrase. "That is so dope!"

Sea Guardian
November 4th, 2008, 12:57 PM
Yes "that is so dope" is an actual quote X/
Sad isn't it? They're a little better now thankfully.

Mileyangel
November 4th, 2008, 06:02 PM
Yes "that is so dope" is an actual quote X/

What does that even mean? Can anybody explain it?

Sea Guardian
November 5th, 2008, 12:45 PM
What does that even mean? Can anybody explain it?
Lol, I looked it up online and all it came up with was a word for stupid people and drugs xD

Mileyangel
November 5th, 2008, 01:54 PM
Lol, I looked it up online and all it came up with was a word for stupid people and drugs xD

I already knew that, hence the joke about translators on dope^_^
So does that mean that Red was saying that Bill's machine was stupid? Cause that wouldn't match his facial expression....

bubblewrap
November 7th, 2008, 06:03 PM
Hey! Lookie what I found! I searched online and found Viz's (neglected) Pokemon Special web page. http://web.archive.org/web/20021201084435/www.vizkids.com/pokemon/adventures/index.html

Mileyangel
November 7th, 2008, 09:25 PM
.....did they just call him Red Ketchum? God.....

And I've seen that site before.....you're right, it's the definition of neglected.

Ruphire
November 7th, 2008, 09:33 PM
I think they do a okay job. Although I do think they could do better.

Mileyangel
November 7th, 2008, 10:44 PM
The first volume seemed like it was butchered. Other than that, you're right, they did an okay job.

bubblewrap
November 8th, 2008, 06:22 PM
POKéMON ADVENTURES #1: MYSTERIOUS MEW
IN THIS ISSUE: Meet our hero, Red Ketchum of Pallet Town; the POKéMON expert Professor Oak.

Wow. -.- I didn't notice that.

Mileyangel
November 8th, 2008, 10:48 PM
Yeah, I experienced an involuntary shudder when I read that.

bubblewrap
November 8th, 2008, 10:56 PM
Red is way too awesome too have the word Ketchum in the same SENTENCE as his name. -.-'
I never noticed that. On that site, they gave MISTY, a random gym leader, a little character sentence and a picture. I don't see one for Blue! D8

Mileyangel
November 9th, 2008, 01:25 PM
Red is way too awesome too have the word Ketchum in the same SENTENCE as his name. -.-'
I never noticed that. On that site, they gave MISTY, a random gym leader, a little character sentence and a picture. I don't see one for Blue! D8

I KNOW!!!! Blue REALLY deserves her own little bio. Even if it is just,"a clever thief girl".

bubblewrap
November 9th, 2008, 01:36 PM
I found just two sentences about Blue on the site.
Then, meet Green, a girl Pokémon trainer!
and
Meanwhile, unscrupulous Green is on Team Rocket's hit list...because she's stolen something very important from them!

I'm like... wow. That's it?
Some random thing that bugs me about that site is that they call them comics. Aren't they manga?

Vernikova
November 9th, 2008, 07:57 PM
Okay, after some work, I really like VIZ's translations for Pokémon Diamond and Pearl Adventure. It's really funny. :D

Mileyangel
November 9th, 2008, 09:14 PM
I found just two sentences about Blue on the site.
I'm like... wow. That's it?
Some random thing that bugs me about that site is that they call them comics. Aren't they manga?

Okay, Blue was a hell of a lot more important to the plot than Misty, and yet she gets mentioned. Tch, bullcrap. And their targeted audience probably doesn't know what manga is, even though, yes, it is a manga because it was made in Japan.

@Beware of Dark Lugia: I'm talking about Pokemon Special, but you're right, DP is pretty funny^_^

Vernikova
November 10th, 2008, 02:30 PM
When's the last time VIZ translated PokeSpecial? A few years or so?

bubblewrap
November 10th, 2008, 03:23 PM
When's the last time VIZ translated PokeSpecial? A few years or so?
At the bottom of the Viz Pokespecial site, it said 2001.That was probably the last time it was updated. xD

Vernikova
November 10th, 2008, 03:40 PM
If that's the case, shouldn't the discussion about recent translations instead of PokeSpecial like Mileyangel said? I'm alright talking about PokeSpecial and all but shouldn't we include every translated comic if we're going that far back?

Netto Azure
November 11th, 2008, 12:21 PM
Well as I said earlier Viz stopped translating after the Yellow Arc (Which IMO was when the manga was starting to get interesting 'GSC and RS') Now most of the "official" translation that everyone is depending on is Chuang-Yi's (Singapore-based/South-east Asia) =/ But I think if Viz restarts translating PokeSpe and release GSC-onward (NOT THE "CRAPPY" BEST OF SERIES) we can finally start reversing the stereotype of Pokemon being 4Kids (My mom got angry when she saw me reading the part when Red and Misty were in Mt.Moon, when Misty said "lets have a double-date" to Red) XD

Vernikova
November 11th, 2008, 02:16 PM
Get real, no one says that anymore.:P

Mileyangel
November 11th, 2008, 04:17 PM
Well as I said earlier Viz stopped translating after the Yellow Arc (Which IMO was when the manga was starting to get interesting 'GSC and RS') Now most of the "official" translation that everyone is depending on is Chuang-Yi's (Singapore-based/South-east Asia) =/ But I think if Viz restarts translating PokeSpe and release GSC-onward (NOT THE "CRAPPY" BEST OF SERIES) we can finally start reversing the stereotype of Pokemon being 4Kids (My mom got angry when she saw me reading the part when Red and Misty were in Mt.Moon, when Misty said "lets have a double-date" to Red) XD

Okay, there was not one sentence of your comment that wasn't true. And yes, I would like the discussion to stay on Pokespecial, please.

Vernikova
November 11th, 2008, 04:27 PM
Wasn't the purposeof the "Best of" set meant to see if Americans were still interested with it? Maybe because of its poor sales, they decided not to do more translations.

Spearow
November 11th, 2008, 06:28 PM
Maybe Viz did "Americanize" it too much, but sometimes Chuang-Yi's translations can be a bit too literal, to the point of seeming amateurish. I can't think of an example off the top of my head, but it gets to the point where I have to have the Serebii summaries open while I'm reading it so I can double-check to understand what a character is saying or what is going on.

I guess it's a moot point anyway since Viz has obviously decided that they can't make enough of a profit distributing Adventures in America. D:

By the way, "that is so dope" is slang for "that's awesome". O_O

Mileyangel
November 11th, 2008, 09:05 PM
By the way, "that is so dope" is slang for "that's awesome". O_O

Well then, they shoulda had a glossary. Just kidding(but not really...)

Oh, and also, I still refer to Coronis's summaries while reading the translations, too.

Spearow
November 13th, 2008, 07:03 PM
Oh, and also, I still refer to Coronis's summaries while reading the translations, too.

Yeah, they're very helpful. It's too bad he doesn't do scanlations, because he seems to have a better grasp of language than many of the professional translators.

But oh well, it's probably a tough job so I'll cut 'em some slack. I'm grateful to even have Special in English.

Mileyangel
November 13th, 2008, 08:41 PM
Yeah, they're very helpful. It's too bad he doesn't do scanlations, because he seems to have a better grasp of language than many of the professional translators.

But oh well, it's probably a tough job so I'll cut 'em some slack. I'm grateful to even have Special in English.

Me too. I only know some words in Japanese, but barely. English is the only language I fully understand....

Lelouch99
November 17th, 2008, 10:01 AM
I like viz. That media dubs some of my other favorite animes and mangas like Naruto and Death Note.

Mileyangel
November 17th, 2008, 02:14 PM
I read Inuyasha, and they did a good job on it. But then again, it's a manga aimed for teenagers and adults, so they didn't have to cut out or change a lot of things.

oni flygon
November 18th, 2008, 10:24 AM
Americanizing Pokemon Special was a way for it to reach to a wider audience. You have to remember that when Pokemon came out, the majority of the audience were kids and I'm sure that the majority of kids have a limited grasp of Japanese culture.

Overall, Viz's translation was decent. I got a bit annoyed at Bill's accent, but then again, it was Viz being true to the translation since Bill in Special speaks in an Osaka dialect.

Mileyangel
November 18th, 2008, 04:08 PM
Americanizing Pokemon Special was a way for it to reach to a wider audience. You have to remember that when Pokemon came out, the majority of the audience were kids and I'm sure that the majority of kids have a limited grasp of Japanese culture.

Overall, Viz's translation was decent. I got a bit annoyed at Bill's accent, but then again, it was Viz being true to the translation since Bill in Special speaks in an Osaka dialect.

True, I guess....I had to read over all of Bill's dialogue at least twice before I understood it.

oni flygon
November 18th, 2008, 07:07 PM
True, I guess....I had to read over all of Bill's dialogue at least twice before I understood it.

Haha, yeah. But it makes sense if you read it out loud. Silly, but it works! And it's a good idea to do it when no one's around.. haha

Mileyangel
November 20th, 2008, 02:31 PM
Haha, yeah. But it makes sense if you read it out loud. Silly, but it works! And it's a good idea to do it when no one's around.. haha

I can just imagine:

ME: (reading from Volume 2)An' sure 'nuff, betcha we can folla the trail o' that flame direct to it!
MY MOM:.......what did you just say?
ME: uh, um, nothing!! Schoolwork!

I copied that quote STRAIGHT out of the book. Bill was talking about Eevee.....

oni flygon
November 20th, 2008, 10:16 PM
Haha, I'm just impressed as to how much effort they put into spelling out everything phonetically. In a way, it makes me appreciate Viz's translation effort to bring the manga to the North America.

Mileyangel
November 21st, 2008, 02:55 PM
Haha, I'm just impressed as to how much effort they put into spelling out everything phonetically. In a way, it makes me appreciate Viz's translation effort to bring the manga to the North America.

It gets better as time goes on. The first was the worst. After that, it gets better every volume.

bubblewrap
November 25th, 2008, 03:58 PM
I've never read the Viz translations, but I found them on Mangafox. (Its the Viz ones)
The first few Volumes or chapters were replaced by Dragonguard recently, though.
But there's still some Viz chapters hidden in there.

Mileyangel
November 26th, 2008, 04:04 PM
Yeah. You can measure the stereotypes.