PDA

View Full Version : Armistice Day

Red1530
November 11th, 2008, 06:50 AM
Today marks Armistice Day in many of the Allied Countries of World War I. It is called Polish Independence Day in Poland as it also marks the day Polish independence was achieved. After World War II the United States changed Armistice Day to Veterans Day and the British Commonwealth changed it to Remembrance Day. This Armistice Day marks the ninetieth anniversary of the end of World War I. So today spend some time remembering the sacrifices of your country's solders.

LethalTexture
November 11th, 2008, 07:04 AM
I have. It's important to remember that many of us would not be here if it wasn't for those men.

Soldiers, I salute you.

Zebra Thunderhead
November 11th, 2008, 07:08 AM
One of our teachers was sent off to Iraq last year so our school is all praying for him on this day. God bless the soldiers still out there and bless the ones that have died for us. You are not forgotten; we could not exist without you.

Rest in peace.

Volkner's Apprentice
November 11th, 2008, 07:40 AM
I also have ^_^. My dad had to remind me, which was slightly embarrassing, but nevertheless I pay my respect to the veterans across the land. I pray those still overseas return home safely.

Gold warehouse
November 11th, 2008, 07:57 AM
We have our 5 minutes silence here, they said WWI would be the war to end all wars, shame they were wrong.

Cassino
November 11th, 2008, 10:23 AM
I generally take this time to remember the soldiers of the Axis side in both World Wars; I find it sad that no one else does...

Aurafire
November 11th, 2008, 11:00 AM
*Salutes our troops*

It takes a special kind of person to lay down their life to protect their country...We should all remember that without their sacrifice, we would not be here today. I sincerely thank them for all they've done.

Red1530
November 11th, 2008, 06:09 PM
I generally take this time to remember the soldiers of the Axis side in both World Wars; I find it sad that no one else does...The Axis did not exist in World War I. The name of opposition to the Allies was the Central Powers.

Netto Azure
November 11th, 2008, 06:19 PM
I salute our soldiers. I cannot have the will in me to volunteer but without you the worlds nations cannot exist. I just hope our respective countries Civilian Leaders have at least learned their lesson in senseless carnage. The Great War...the so called "War to end all wars..." See how history is so repetitive....=( So many senseless deaths...

Toblerone
November 12th, 2008, 08:54 AM
I will never forget all the soldiers who died for us all, and if it weren't for them.. someone in my family many years ago lost their life in WWI.. which is why i pay my respect every year for the people who are in at the moment or died in a war, they will never be forgotten.

Rockéttes
November 12th, 2008, 09:04 AM
Being of African decent, I know I definitely wouldn't be here right now if it weren't for the brave men and women who risked their lives for our freedom. I know it's a bit late, but I solute our soldiers.

Cassino
November 12th, 2008, 09:14 AM
The Axis did not exist in World War I. The name of opposition to the Allies was the Central Powers.
Well, that shows how little I know about WWI. xD

Nuke
November 12th, 2008, 09:27 AM
We had a six minute video before our minute silence at our school.

Rememberance Day is very important to myself.

Also, slightly off topic, do other countries wear Poppies to show respect as well as us?

Rockéttes
November 12th, 2008, 09:55 AM
Where do you live? In Canada, we wear poppies about a week before and a week after Remembrance Day. They don't cost anything, either. Well, you have to make a donation, but it can be as little or as much as you want. (My friend donated ten dollars for his) XD;

Nuke
November 12th, 2008, 10:00 AM
I live in the UK, I donated One Pound for mine. (Most people only put in 50 pence)

(USD$1.50, CAD$1.80)

Phixum
November 12th, 2008, 10:18 AM
Today marks Armistice Day in many of the Allied Countries of World War I. It is called Polish Independence Day in Poland as it also marks the day Polish independence was achieved. After World War II the United States changed Armistice Day to Veterans Day and the British Commonwealth changed it to Remembrance Day. This Armistice Day marks the ninetieth anniversary of the end of World War I. So today spend some time remembering the sacrifices of your country's solders.

Thank God my country was not involved into such wars. We only underwent one war, and the US, UK, along with other countries defended us against Iraq in exchange of oil.

EDIT: Ok, that wasn't nice of me. I still salute, respect, and gratify soldiers. No one is more immortal than a soldier, in a metaphorical sense.

icomeanon6
November 12th, 2008, 07:56 PM
In my mind, World War I was the perfect example of the worst reason to enter a war: national pride alone. There were no good guys or bad guys in WWI, just a bunch of misguidedly arrogant countries. I've always thought that VE or VJ Day would be a better day for Veteran's Day, seeing as WWII was focused on a cause worth fighting for.

Now that I've gotten that off my chest, here's to the bravest of our men and women, the ones who put their lives on the line every day for the sake of others. The vocation of the armed forces is true, irrefutable heroism.

.Vaporeon
November 12th, 2008, 08:15 PM
I hate war. I think it was stupid to go into war,anyways,Australia doesn't wear 'poppies',I think. I'll need to look into that.
There isn't many people that are as brave as those men and women.

Soldiers,I salute you.

-Neku Sakuraba

Rockéttes
November 14th, 2008, 03:49 PM
I came so close to crying when I watched this. I felt it was relevant to the topic, so check it out. And yeah, it's pretty graphic.

a mature audience.
rqhR65gPJIg