PDA

View Full Version : Thanks giving?

Angela
November 17th, 2008, 02:08 PM
OK I'm from Europe and don't celebrate thanksgiving and would really want to know what it's all about,

So could you maybe inform me on this holiday, like why is it special what do you do, does your family have there own tradition? What is so special about it? and such....:D

Virtual Chatot
November 17th, 2008, 02:37 PM
Well, its traditionally a holiday celebrated to be thankful for what God has given us. It was formed as a result of the States' Judeo-Christian Beliefs.

Canada has a day of Thanksgiving, but its not on the same date.

Sublime
November 17th, 2008, 02:53 PM
Also, on the 4th Thursday in November; the Pilgrims who journeyed to America feasted with the Indians. They gave thanks for the bountiful food that was given to them.

Pretty much it right there

You just eat alot of food; such as Turkey, Mashed Potatoes, Stuffing, etc. Then you watch football xD

Spinor
November 17th, 2008, 04:22 PM
The reason there even is an America

Meh, it's just an extra day to eat turkey and Pumpkin Pie. Oh yeah, me loves Pumpkin Pie, I've even made it a proper noun...

Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thanksgiving_(United_States)) can probably explain better than I can. To be honest, I'm Mexican, I celebrate this, and I don't know why XD.

ShadowofTime01
November 18th, 2008, 12:01 AM
OK I'm from Europe and don't celebrate thanksgiving and would really want to know what it's all about,

So could you maybe inform me on this holiday, like why is it special what do you do, does your family have their own tradition? What is so special about it? and such....:D

Well the American Thanksgiving is celebrated next week... which is different from when Canadians celebrate thanksgiving... Anyways, if i remember back to kindergarden, Thanksgiving is a celebratory feast in honor of when the Pilgrims first arrived at Plymouth Rock after seeking religious freedom from the King of England. It was hard settling into colony life and it was a cold winter, so they had little food, and then the Native Americans came and shared their food with them. And they there was thanksgiving to the Native Americans who showed them such kindness back then and of course God, it's now a national holiday.

For me personally, it's a time to get together with family and have a glutonous meal with all the comforts of home... mashed potatoes, turkey, cranberries, stuffing, green beans, oh and PUMPKIN PIE!!! It's soo good... And it's a time to be thankful for those you have in your life and time to reflect on what you should be thankful for.

My Dad used to have cook an amazing meal the 3 of us would sit down to the meal and feast, it's just like one of those things you take for granted as a kid, and then when it's gone you can never really feel that way again. Anyways, it's a holiday about family and good food (and football and parades), and I don't know if you have anything like that where you're from, but i'd highly recommend the experience.

Post Office Buddy
November 18th, 2008, 04:20 AM
A lot of families in America don't pay too much attention to the historical or even religious aspects of Thanksgiving anymore. Most, including mine, just cook tons of food, mostly turkey, mashed potatoes, yams, green beans, etc. Most families usually invite their extended family over to feast with them and either watch football or converse after the meal is done, or even watch football during the feast. I personally don't care for football, so I just focus on eating. But yeah, that coupled with the descriptions above should give you a pretty nice image.