PDA

View Full Version : Wii Updates Policies, Blocks Hacks

Eon-Rider
November 19th, 2008, 01:36 AM
With this update, Parental Controls have been enhanced, USB keyboard support is available for the Mii Channel, and system functions have been improved.
The Wii User Agreement, which includes the Wii Privacy Policy, has been updated. Because the updated agreement applies to you and your use of the Wii Network Service, you should view the updated version by clicking on the Wii icon located on the lower-left portion of the Wii Channel menu, selecting Wii Settings, accessing the Internet setting, and selecting User Agreements.
We may without notifying you, download updates, patches, upgrades and similar software to your Wii Console and may disable unauthorized or illegal software placed on your Wii Console to ensure that your Wii Console is operating properly and efficiently, comply with applicable laws, assist law enforcement, protect us and our customers, or prevent the use and distribution of software obtained through improper channels.
Source (http://www.cubed3.com/news/11123)

Oh my god. =O

The update itself is pretty nice but the auto-updates just kills it. Damn this sucks.

Infamous Amos
November 19th, 2008, 03:56 AM

Oh my god. =O

The update itself is pretty nice but the auto-updates just kills it. Damn this sucks.

It does not nessicarily mean that they will auto-update it, they are saying that they have the right to update without your permission.

Mitchman
November 19th, 2008, 06:15 AM
YAY! But mii channel compatible with keyboard? LOL nice. Could we be expecting a wii chat feature? That conveniently hooks up to msn messenger yahoo and aol all together?

TRIFORCE89
November 19th, 2008, 06:20 AM
YAY! But mii channel compatible with keyboard? LOL nice. Could we be expecting a wii chat feature? That conveniently hooks up to msn messenger yahoo and aol all together?
I wouldn't think so, no.

Why do you need a keyboard for the Mii Channel. You barely type anything in there except for the Mii name which is maybe...six letters?

Mitchman
November 19th, 2008, 06:33 AM
Well then some kinda chat thing? I mean besides the typing yeah nothing else. But it does make things easier.

Red1530
November 19th, 2008, 07:28 AM

Oh my god. =O

The update itself is pretty nice but the auto-updates just kills it. Damn this sucks.If you are worried about the Wii auto-updating, don't have it connect to the Internet at all times.

Cherrim
November 19th, 2008, 07:33 AM
Please tell me this update includes USB keyboard support for the internet browser too. Or if not that, then is the browser already compatible? If not... then this just seems like an update for the sake of an update which is ridiculous. <_<;

Mitchman
November 19th, 2008, 07:55 AM
No actually this is wii firmware 4.0 or 3.2. 3.0 is the real good one that adds the clock and has the whole usb keyboard for the browser.

TRIFORCE89
November 19th, 2008, 08:06 AM
Yeah, it's been there for a while now O_o

Cherrim
November 19th, 2008, 08:12 AM
Yeah, it's been there for a while now O_o
Lol, okay I don't remember hearing about it. :| Still doesn't make any sense to me to not add keyboard support for ~everything~ instead of making one of the only worthwhile parts of an update just Mii channel support. 8|

TRIFORCE89
November 19th, 2008, 08:21 AM
Lol, okay I don't remember hearing about it. :| Still doesn't make any sense to me to not add keyboard support for ~everything~ instead of making one of the only worthwhile parts of an update just Mii channel support. 8|
I think implementing it into the Mii channel was useless, but...that's all that's left.

You could use it on the Message Board, Shop Channel, and Internet Channel since update 3.1 - which was October of last year.

Looking up the recent update (3.4). It actually does a bit more besides typing in the Mii Channel and blocking homebrew stuff. Dramatically increased SD transfer speeds, new IOS50 and IOS254, System Menu now runs on IOS50 says Wikipedia. Nothing terribly significant. Not NXE, but better than the last update

Mitchman
November 19th, 2008, 10:57 AM
True true. What they should do is make miis more customizabl.e Like shorts and short sleeve shirts and such. Mabye release an update disk for 10 euros that has such updates. And mabye some other stuff.

Amachi
November 19th, 2008, 02:32 PM
True true. What they should do is make miis more customizabl.e Like shorts and short sleeve shirts and such. Mabye release an update disk for 10 euros that has such updates. And mabye some other stuff.

I doubt that would be retroactively compatiable with older games. I'd love it though - I need more hairstyles and facial features.

But yeah, I ain't updating. I should do the shop update though.

cooley
November 19th, 2008, 02:39 PM
Well, this means no Homebrew channel anymore, unless you turn off wiiconnect24.

Bianca Paragon
November 19th, 2008, 03:44 PM
Let's see: Lose WiiConnect24 or lose HBC?
Tough choice!
I wonder by how many % Nintendo will notice consoles dropping out of WiiConnect24 mode for good, now? <3

Zet
November 19th, 2008, 06:20 PM
Tough choice!
I wonder by how many % Nintendo will notice consoles dropping out of WiiConnect24 mode for good, now? <3
I've always had WiiConnect24 off, since I don't know what it does xD

TRIFORCE89
November 20th, 2008, 06:26 AM
I've always had WiiConnect24 off, since I don't know what it does xD
WiiConnect24 handles the Wii Message Board messages (including email and SMS), Mii transfers, channel updates (mostly content related), updates to game content (for those few that make use of the feature), and software update notifications.

Tough choice!
...I would think that more people don't use the HBC than do. Its hardly mainstream.

Bianca Paragon
November 20th, 2008, 08:10 AM
WiiConnect24 handles the Wii Message Board messages (including email and SMS), Mii transfers, channel updates (mostly content related), updates to game content (for those few that make use of the feature), and software update notifications.

...I would think that more people don't use the HBC than do. Its hardly mainstream.
Of course a majority don't use it; but there'd be at least a measurable quantity that do - for example, Dark_Alex took stats that showed over 1/3 of people that connected to PSN from the PSP used a custom firmware; so homebrew is a pretty compelling reason to own a console nowadays.