PDA

View Full Version : Canada, eh?

latiosspud
September 7th, 2003, 03:52 AM
Talk about this wonderful country of ours fellow Canadians.

Cherrim
September 7th, 2003, 10:42 AM
:o I was gonna make the topic, but I had to get off the computer. *shrugs*

Eh.. let's start off from the top. Where's everyone from?

<~ Torontonian. :3

latiosspud
September 7th, 2003, 11:31 AM
I'm from Montreal, the second most populated city in Canada and the largest (in area) in Canada.

Frostweaver
September 7th, 2003, 01:43 PM
Edmonton, home of the biggest mall in the world! (still the biggest... even though the US did talk about making a mall bigger than WEM but no they didn't do it in action)

22sa
September 7th, 2003, 03:09 PM
I'm from Montreal, the second most populated city in Canada and the largest (in area) in Canada.
Nuh Un! Toronto is bigger than Montreal.

Btw, I'm a Edmontonian too! XD

latiosspud
September 7th, 2003, 03:18 PM
Nuh Un! Toronto is bigger than Montreal.

Btw, I'm a Edmontonian too! XD
Depends what you mean the region or the main city...but either region or main city Montreal will always be bigger than Edmonton :p .

22sa
September 7th, 2003, 03:36 PM
Yeah Edmonton has a very small region, but it's still quickly expanding.:D

latiosspud
September 7th, 2003, 03:41 PM
Yeah Edmonton has a very small region, but it's still quickly expanding.:D
Yeah well while Edmonton is expanding Montreal and any other city is too...

Frostweaver
September 7th, 2003, 03:43 PM
yeah... and it's only expanding near my place pretty much (fyi, Riverbend... for 22sa's information) and a few other areas.

Our city will be expanding border pretty soon... the city is only at a 2 min drive from reach the city limits (starting from 23 ave)... we are expanding pretty quickly. But hey we beat our biggest rival Calgary in that category XD

(Edmonton is the 5th biggest city in Canada, next to Toronto Vancouver Montreal and Ottawa, with Calgary coming from the back at a very close 6th place...)

22sa
September 7th, 2003, 03:43 PM
Cool, in the past couple years the land prices have been continuing to raise here. I guess that means our economy's healthy. XD

latiosspud
September 7th, 2003, 03:46 PM
yeah... and it's only expanding near my place pretty much (fyi, Riverbend... for 22sa's information) and a few other areas.

Our city will be expanding border pretty soon... the city is only at a 2 min drive from reach the city limits (starting from 23 ave)... we are expanding pretty quickly. But hey we beat our biggest rival Calgary in that category XD

(Edmonton is the 5th biggest city in Canada, next to Toronto Vancouver Montreal and Ottawa, with Calgary coming from the back at a very close 6th place...)
If you write it in order it's Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, Ottawa, Edmonton, Calgary, etc.

22sa
September 7th, 2003, 04:09 PM
Canada has awesome cities! Vancouver is 2nd only to Rio De Janinero in beauty and Toronto is a lot of commerce! ^_^

latiosspud
September 7th, 2003, 04:11 PM
Canada has awesome cities! Vancouver is 2nd only to Rio De Janinero in beauty and Toronto is a lot of commerce! ^_^
Toronto is where a of lot businessmen go or at least stay a couple hours before departing to a nearby city.

22sa
September 7th, 2003, 04:28 PM
On the weastern side, it's Calgary where many businessmen go. Their downtown is like 3x bigger Edmonton's!

latiosspud
September 7th, 2003, 04:33 PM
On the weastern side, it's Calgary where many businessmen go. Their downtown is like 3x bigger Edmonton's!
I think they also go to Vancouver...there downtown is pretty big too.

22sa
September 7th, 2003, 04:43 PM
Yes! Vancouver downtown is beautiful, I wish I actually can live in Vancouver for a little while. They have about 125 building in their downtown, they 4th most in the world!

Vancouver is more industry-like than business type though.

Frostweaver
September 7th, 2003, 04:44 PM
Calgary > Edmonton financial wise... (BOOO!!!) but in population we're still winning. Actually in terms of economy both city rather suck. Both edmonton and cow-town only relies on one product to become rich. If they lost that product, they are screwed...

Vancouver is a big (but won't exactly say very beautiful imho) city. It's also doing great in economy except the government 10 years ago screwed up BC badly and now Liberals have to sweep the mess up...

latiosspud
September 7th, 2003, 04:53 PM
Yes! Vancouver downtown is beautiful, I wish I actually can live in Vancouver for a little while. They have about 125 building in their downtown, they 4th most in the world!

Vancouver is more industry-like than business type though.
But Vancouver's airport has much more international flights than Edmonton so they would probably have to stop at Vancouver before going to other cities like Victoria, Edmonton, Clagary, etc.

Frostweaver
September 7th, 2003, 06:05 PM
Vancouver is one of the 2(or was it 3?) pit stops for all flights across the biggest ocean in the world. Edmonton is only a dinky little town, famous for the precious oil and the WEM which is actually not that exciting.

22sa
September 7th, 2003, 06:20 PM
But Vancouver's airport has much more international flights than Edmonton so they would probably have to stop at Vancouver before going to other cities like Victoria, Edmonton, Clagary, etc.
Yah Vancouver's airport is really beautiful too! Big airports certainly boost commerce but it's still a more industry-like city

latiosspud
September 8th, 2003, 02:36 AM
Yah Vancouver's airport is really beautiful too! Big airports certainly boost commerce but it's still a more industry-like city
Yeah I know but they would have to stop at Vancouver just like I always have to stop at Toronto.

22sa
September 8th, 2003, 03:31 PM
You know how many Asians live there? I'm not sure but it's more than San Francisco's 220k! ^_^

latiosspud
September 8th, 2003, 03:56 PM
You know how many Asians live there? I'm not sure but it's more than San Francisco's 220k! ^_^
I know I've been there and there's a lot...that was where the first Asians came to Canada.

Frostweaver
September 8th, 2003, 04:26 PM
Vancouver is made of 50% asians... it's scary. And then chinese makes up 75% of the 50%... canada is certainly multi cultural.

22sa
September 8th, 2003, 05:33 PM
Vancouver is made of 50% asians... it's scary. And then chinese makes up 75% of the 50%... canada is certainly multi cultural.
Okay.. I knew there was a lot but that.. much? !!!!!!!! XD XD
Mmmmm!:)

latiosspud
September 8th, 2003, 05:41 PM
Okay.. I knew there was a lot but that.. much? !!!!!!!! XD XD
Mmmmm!:)
I think he was being sarcastic...the most populated people in Canada are Europeans.

Frostweaver
September 8th, 2003, 07:16 PM
no i'm not. A big part of Vancouver called Richmond is pretty much Chinese only. My cousin lives there, and she doesn't even need to know english in her high school, cause stuff about Hong Kong and Cantonese are all you need...

you'll see more shops with chinese words on its title than english shops too. Richmond is like insane. A lot of people (of the other races) love to buy a house in Richmond, then sell it for a higher price to a Chinese who just moved into Richmond and doesn't realize that they got ripped off.

latiosspud
September 9th, 2003, 02:33 AM
no i'm not. A big part of Vancouver called Richmond is pretty much Chinese only. My cousin lives there, and she doesn't even need to know english in her high school, cause stuff about Hong Kong and Cantonese are all you need...

you'll see more shops with chinese words on its title than english shops too. Richmond is like insane. A lot of people (of the other races) love to buy a house in Richmond, then sell it for a higher price to a Chinese who just moved into Richmond and doesn't realize that they got ripped off.
Oh ya, I've been there...but just one city isn't going to effect (well very little) a whole country.

22sa
September 9th, 2003, 05:23 AM
There's just that much in Vancouver he ment. There's a lot of other Canadian with sizable Chinatowns as well though. ^_^

latiosspud
September 9th, 2003, 11:54 AM
There's just that much in Vancouver he ment. There's a lot of other Canadian with sizable Chinatowns as well though. ^_^
Yeah but 50% is pass the believable line. Maybe 25% but not 50%.

22sa
September 9th, 2003, 04:34 PM
Yeah but 50% is pass the believable line. Maybe 25% but not 50%.
I think Vancouver the city itself is 550000 in population but it's a 2.4million hull. 50% would equal more than 1 million Asians living in Vancouver & Area so I guess it's questionable.

Alakazam
September 9th, 2003, 07:45 PM
Calgary > Edmonton financial wise... (BOOO!!!) but in population we're still winning. Actually in terms of economy both city rather suck. Both edmonton and cow-town only relies on one product to become rich. If they lost that product, they are screwed...

Vancouver is a big (but won't exactly say very beautiful imho) city. It's also doing great in economy except the government 10 years ago screwed up BC badly and now Liberals have to sweep the mess up...

Amen to that brother. Here in Ontario, we have the PC party in power. Ever since they have taken control education, health care, power and many others things have taken a hit. There's even a tax break for people who send their kids to private school, but they had to take 2 billion out of public education to do that. It just makes me sick how the governement wants to privatize health care. If you want a simple thing done like an X-ray you have to wait like 8 hours. It's ludicrous! Down with the Tories, vote Liberal!

Federally I hate the Liberals. If John Cretien ran today, I don't know if I would vote for him. He isn't giving one red cent to Toronto to help out with SARS or the Black Out even though we qualify for the disaster relief fund, which paid Quebec over a billion dollars in the ice storm of 1998. Toronto gives the country like 32 billion dollars a year, but we only get like 16 back, how is that fair? Our transit is a mess; the fares go up, but the services gets way worse. Toronto deserves more say because we are the most populous area in Canada and make the most money. I know a lot of people think of Toronto as the Yankees and everyone hates us because they are the best, but we shouldn't have as much power as Medicine Hat or Moose Jaw. It's just ridiculous!

Frostweaver
September 9th, 2003, 07:54 PM
not to mention that our prized oil was shipped to you guys... (no offense to Ontarians, but offense to the government who planned that)

Think we fellow Canadians know that every single one of Canada's provinces are in debt. Alberta was suppose to clear all of its debt this year if it isn't for Kyoto Accord and the Mad cow. But even with the Kyoto Accord and our funny cows we should clear the debt within 7 years. However, the federal decides that the east needs fundings and so moved a lot of money out of the western provinces to help out. So they took the money, but they didn't put it into a good use. They decide to return part of the eastern province's debt (which will shortly increase if the east's economy doesn't get even better). So basically they just wasted money and didn't do one productive thing about it. Now our debt clear date is delayed by another 7 years... *sigh*

i'll love to say down with Chretiens, but then again Chretiens is the smartest one out of those moronic politicians (i'll rather stick with Chretien than stockwell day)

22sa
September 10th, 2003, 05:41 AM
Heh, I heard that we got our national debt under control and that we'lll be debt free in the year 2012. It's pretty hard to believe since we have like $1.2 trillion dollars (Canadian) of public debt... O.o

latiosspud
September 10th, 2003, 02:03 PM
not to mention that our prized oil was shipped to you guys... (no offense to Ontarians, but offense to the government who planned that)

Think we fellow Canadians know that every single one of Canada's provinces are in debt. Alberta was suppose to clear all of its debt this year if it isn't for Kyoto Accord and the Mad cow. But even with the Kyoto Accord and our funny cows we should clear the debt within 7 years. However, the federal decides that the east needs fundings and so moved a lot of money out of the western provinces to help out. So they took the money, but they didn't put it into a good use. They decide to return part of the eastern province's debt (which will shortly increase if the east's economy doesn't get even better). So basically they just wasted money and didn't do one productive thing about it. Now our debt clear date is delayed by another 7 years... *sigh*

i'll love to say down with Chretiens, but then again Chretiens is the smartest one out of those moronic politicians (i'll rather stick with Chretien than stockwell day)
Well Chretien is leaving politics in 2004 and with it, his Liberal Leadership.

22sa
September 11th, 2003, 03:00 PM
Hey, you think Canada should raise her Military expenditures? o.o

latiosspud
September 11th, 2003, 03:09 PM
Hey, you think Canada should raise her Military expenditures? o.o
Nah...it isn't like they are going to declare war on a country soon.

Frostweaver
September 11th, 2003, 03:52 PM
i'm proud to say that i live right beside Canada's secret military base. The base called West Edmonton Mall has 4 submarines there that's functional and won't leak. That's 4 functional submarines out of the 6 subs Canada has (that's functional). Isn't it impressive? ^_^

22sa
September 11th, 2003, 04:49 PM
Hehe, why did they move it there?:\:p

Hakudoushi-kun
September 12th, 2003, 06:15 PM
i'm from toronto......i don't get the point of this thread

latiosspud
September 12th, 2003, 06:24 PM
Well I don't get you for not reading all the previous posts...too lazy or what?

22sa
September 12th, 2003, 06:26 PM
We're just chatting here, why not join the club?:P

Hakudoushi-kun
September 13th, 2003, 06:28 PM
sure, so what's new (edmonton west mall sounds pretty cool)

22sa
September 13th, 2003, 06:47 PM
sure, so what's new (edmonton west mall sounds pretty cool)
Yeah and it's still expanding. ^_^;;

Frostweaver
September 14th, 2003, 11:57 PM
WEM (West Edmonton Mall) is not a mall... i repeat... it's not a mall... it's Canada's secret submarine base...

it's cool as a tourist to visit it, but it's nothing special after your... 4th visit... And why are they expanding the mall when there's so much empty stores that they are still trying to rent out to ppl to start a business? The mall isn't "empty" enough for the owner and the gov't?

22sa
September 20th, 2003, 09:24 PM
Ahh!! Canadian dollar is losing value against the American dollar now! Heh, I guess that time just had to come...:P

I don't mind though, what I want is the US Dollar to beat the EU Euro, like now now now now now!

latiosspud
September 21st, 2003, 02:23 AM
Ahh!! Canadian dollar is losing value against the American dollar now! Heh, I guess that time just had to come...:P

I don't mind though, what I want is the US Dollar to beat the EU Euro, like now now now now now!
What did those people do to you, eh? :laugh:

22sa
September 21st, 2003, 06:04 PM
What did those people do to you, eh? :laugh:
Not what did they do to me, it's when will they do something to me!;):D:P

Hakudoushi-kun
September 21st, 2003, 06:52 PM
i prefer to use cold hard gold

kukaru001
September 23rd, 2003, 06:04 PM
Hey...latiospudd..you inherited my long lost thread....how's it going ppl....canadian money shure sucks...wish it would kik american money...right....still we can't beat them cuz were canada... and america...as history tells....has stolen many times from canada many times..so we deserve it

latiosspud
October 18th, 2003, 10:11 AM
Amen to that brother. Here in Ontario, we have the PC party in power. Ever since they have taken control education, health care, power and many others things have taken a hit. There's even a tax break for people who send their kids to private school, but they had to take 2 billion out of public education to do that. It just makes me sick how the governement wants to privatize health care. If you want a simple thing done like an X-ray you have to wait like 8 hours. It's ludicrous! Down with the Tories, vote Liberal!

Federally I hate the Liberals. If John Cretien ran today, I don't know if I would vote for him. He isn't giving one red cent to Toronto to help out with SARS or the Black Out even though we qualify for the disaster relief fund, which paid Quebec over a billion dollars in the ice storm of 1998. Toronto gives the country like 32 billion dollars a year, but we only get like 16 back, how is that fair? Our transit is a mess; the fares go up, but the services gets way worse. Toronto deserves more say because we are the most populous area in Canada and make the most money. I know a lot of people think of Toronto as the Yankees and everyone hates us because they are the best, but we shouldn't have as much power as Medicine Hat or Moose Jaw. It's just ridiculous!
Well in Quebec private schools only get 60% percent of what public schools get so if it's the same in Ontario I don't think it's a bad idea.

Hakudoushi-kun
October 18th, 2003, 07:07 PM
ooh, can you speak french and english?

latiosspud
October 19th, 2003, 02:47 AM
ooh, can you speak french and english?
Well I never really use French except in PE, French, and Geography. We are really suppose to have PE in English but this guy only knows French.

Hakudoushi-kun
October 19th, 2003, 07:34 PM
oh. i'm still working on my japanese. i still gotta learn kanji, kana, and hira(mispelling)

^^NICK^^ v.2.0
November 21st, 2003, 08:28 PM
I live in the US where they actually say About. I wish i could go to Canadaa though. Degrassi is filmed there, and you guys get to see it unedited and without the channel taking like six month breaks. I wish I could go to Canada. I wish I could say Aboot and not be looked at funny. I wanna go to Canada!!!

Hakudoushi-kun
November 21st, 2003, 09:02 PM
i've never heard a canadian ever say aboot. seriously, never