PDA

View Full Version : Is the Iraq War is doing any good anymore?

Sublime
November 26th, 2008, 08:43 AM
Warning:
If you don't like having your ideas and opinions argued against; then this is not a good place for you!

As some of you may have noticed, there has been an on-going topic about a debate section in the Community Question's and Feeback area of this forum. The mod's say they're not sure if it's needed and we should try out our debate's here to see how it works. And that is exactly what I'm doing.

Now let's get some the three main rules going.
1. No flaming other's opinions! This is probably going to be the most broken rule; because people DON'T agree. But please don't flame! If you don't agree, then state why in a calm manner.

2. No SPAM! Another main concern is people aimlessly flooding the debates. No. Don't do it. EVER.

3. And of course, follow all other existing PokeCommunity rules in a debate.

Now, let's kick this off with our first Debate. Does anyone have a good topic for our first debate? Remember, it has to be a worldwide topic! We have people from all different countries here!

Ineffable~
November 26th, 2008, 08:54 AM
My first topic is about the Iraq War. I'll state my opinions once someone else has posted.

Sublime
November 26th, 2008, 09:01 AM
Alright, I'll edit the first post with a poll on the current debate

Virtual Chatot
November 26th, 2008, 09:02 AM
Let's take Serebiiforums as an example, as to why this is a bad idea. Flaming, trolling, and warnings are as common as clowns at a circus. Now while this happens naturally without a debate forum, its quite obvious that the majority of them happen within the confines of the debate forum.

But let's look at this another way, do we really need a debate forum? Certainly we have debate threads that appear from time to time, but not enough in my opinion that qualifies to have a debate forum, or subforum. Technology got its own forum because of the amount of technology related threads that were appearing in the Technology subforum, and that merited its upgrade.

I'd like to see more of what the supporters of a debate forum have to say.

Sublime
November 26th, 2008, 09:05 AM
Let's take Serebiiforums as an example, as to why this is a bad idea. Flaming, trolling, and warnings are as common as clowns at a circus. Now while this happens naturally without a debate forum, its quite obvious that the majority of them happen within the confines of the debate forum.

But let's look at this another way, do we really need a debate forum? Certainly we have debate threads that appear from time to time, but not enough in my opinion that qualifies to have a debate forum, or subforum. Technology got its own forum because of the amount of technology related threads that were appearing in the Technology subforum, and that merited its upgrade.

I'd like to see more of what the supporters of a debate forum have to say.

Yes, we have already established that. We are trying out this topic to see how debates would work here.

Virtual Chatot
November 26th, 2008, 09:07 AM
Was this approved by any staff? I can see how this thread can go awry -_-

Sublime
November 26th, 2008, 09:09 AM
Lightning said we should try out some debates here. Just read around the last page in the original topic.

So, just go with it for now. If it does go awry, then that proves we can't have mature debates.

Chibi-chan
November 26th, 2008, 09:10 AM
If you're going to try out some debates, why not just make a separate thread for a separate topic >_>
That's what's been going on. There's no need to change it.

Sublime
November 26th, 2008, 09:29 AM
If you're going to try out some debates, why not just make a separate thread for a separate topic >_>
That's what's been going on. There's no need to change it.

Well, because I thought it would be easier to keep them all in one topic. I'm a very organized person like that.

If you wan't me to change this to just one topic, then I'll do that.

Chibi-chan
November 26th, 2008, 09:34 AM
I'm changing this into an Iraq War thread.

Let me elaborate. Other Chat is a place for discussions. In these discussions, debates are included. The only things that are limited are the truly "Not for a Pokemon Forum" discussions such as homosexuality, racism, religion, or any kind of outright slander. You can have your Iraq War topic! It doesn't need to be in a certain debate area! Feel free to talk about it in OC! The only reason it would get locked is if multiple bouts of flaming occurs or the topic goes dreadfully off-topic. It's not me who caused the topic to be closed, it's you who instigated the situation. Now if you honestly think you've got something to debate about, go ahead and post it in the OC if it's appropriate. I can't say that enough. Remember where you are. Pokecommunity is a POKEMON site. The other non-Pokemon boards are for casual discussion and debates. Remember that. And I'll say it in the CQ&F too.

Saltare.
November 26th, 2008, 09:39 AM
I say Yes, but I want our troops back home. We talk about it a lot in school and it makes people sad because their fathers and aunts and uncles and cousins are in Iraq. Like, my cousin is in Iraq and I don want him to die. So, I say it is doing good, but I want them back home.

Virtual Chatot
November 26th, 2008, 09:45 AM
We should have moved our focus after we had captured Saddam Hussein to Iran and Afghanistan. Yes, its common knowledge that Saddam's regime supported a safe haven for Terrorists organizations, but its time that we had moved on.

If we need to go over there again in the future, there's nothing wrong with that, but we missed our window of opportunity a few years ago.

Spinor
November 26th, 2008, 12:30 PM
I am going to be honest but with the Iraq War, I am neutral.
If we keep fighting, we don't know, something could happen to our advantage but there is also the case of Death Tolls. But if we retreat, we don't know what would happen, another terrorist attack would be possible, but we would have saved hundreds of lives that could have died if we continued.

Each decision has an advantage. Although I may be leaning to continuing, because what if they attack a Military Base?

I may be Mexican but there is always the saying:

When the US gets a cold, Mexico gets Pneumonia.

from the Spanish translation.

Sublime
November 26th, 2008, 01:52 PM
I said yes, but I want our troops to return

I think if we retreat we are leaving our country wide open for another terrorist attack. But it's also possible that if we stay, something just as bad could happen.

I'm with AdvancedK9 on this one; I'm pretty neutral to the subject.

Phixum
November 26th, 2008, 02:15 PM
It might be doing some good, but seriously, Iraq is not a part of the US. The US should not interfere with the interior of the country. Saddam Hussein was eliminated, and that was a huge step towards making things much better in Iraq. Iraq now has a president, so he should be let to run his own country rather than being bossed around.

Cassino
November 26th, 2008, 03:16 PM
As it stands with any British person, I know my country's soldiers should never have been in this theatre at all.

The funny thing is that Al-Qaeda has already fudged their jihad anyway, as one of the rules of jihad is that you must not kill another Muslim — a number of people killed in the bombings were Muslims.

Although I may be leaning to continuing, because what if they attack a Military Base?
RPG-7s, AK-47s and T-72s won't get them far. I seriously doubt that Al-Qaeda could mount an assault on a walled base, and it's obvious that such a thing is not their intention anyway; they exist to cause unrest in the Western world.

Check my attachment — the irony stands that many of the attacks are actually aimed at the Middle East.

Amachi
November 26th, 2008, 03:58 PM
The funny thing is that Al-Qaeda has already fudged their jihad anyway, as one of the rules of jihad is that you must not kill another Muslim — a number of people killed in the bombings were Muslims.
To be honest, I don't think they really care.

Ineffable~
November 26th, 2008, 08:05 PM
I said yes, but I want our troops to return

I think if we retreat we are leaving our country wide open for another terrorist attack. But it's also possible that if we stay, something just as bad could happen.

I'm with AdvancedK9 on this one; I'm pretty neutral to the subject.
Well, the thing is, if we remove the troops, Israel will be screwed, and the people who did die in Iraq will have died in vain, because we didn't finish what they died for. And it has been confirmed that the terrorists have plans to come here if we leave. I'd also like to see our troops come back, but they went to Iraq for a reason, and I don't think they'd like to be forced to stop serving our country.

Spinor
November 26th, 2008, 10:29 PM
Well, the thing is, if we remove the troops, Israel will be screwed, and the people who did die in Iraq will have died in vain, because we didn't finish what they died for. And it has been confirmed that the terrorists have plans to come here if we leave. I'd also like to see our troops come back, but they went to Iraq for a reason, and I don't think they'd like to be forced to stop serving our country.

Well, you have a point there :/. But I'm still very undecided in my views. This war is seriously full of Hawks and Doves.

And we have gone a bit too far to give up now. Maybe they SHOULD stay...

FairyGarland
November 26th, 2008, 10:54 PM
Why did the war in Iraq start anyway?

Spinor
November 26th, 2008, 11:16 PM
September 11, 2001, I was just little when that happen, I didn't understand what the news were saying besides that a planey killed a tower :P.

That was the base though. That's what caused extreme tensions between USA and Iraq.

Gold warehouse
November 27th, 2008, 08:04 AM
The war on terrorism is not a war against a country it's against the terrorists which operate in many countries which is why it's so hard to stop them. We have done all we can in Iraq I think, Saddam Hussein has been brought to justice and Iraq has been set up with a democratic government; the leading Al-Quaeda members would have left Iraq now anyway if they have any sense.

Virtual Chatot
November 27th, 2008, 08:06 AM
To be honest, I don't think they really care.I don't think you know how right you are. The Koran even states to treat Jews and Christians with love, and that they are brothers.

Honestly, its quite hypocritical...

Gold warehouse
November 27th, 2008, 08:37 AM
The terrorists have completly broken their religion that they are supposedly fighting for, claiming it's for their faith is an excuse. I know muslims from Indonesia, they say that the terrorists are a shame to them and their religion.

Ineffable~
November 27th, 2008, 11:34 AM
Yeah, Muslims aren't the bad guys. It's the real extremists who've abandoned the peacefulness of their religion.

The war on terrorism is not a war against a country it's against the terrorists which operate in many countries.
Yeah. No one understands that. There's no peace treaty here.

Otter Mii-kun
November 27th, 2008, 05:05 PM
We shouldn't have even invaded that country in the first place. It's become increasingly obvious we are there just for the purpose of "spreading democracy" and "promoting freedom in the Middle East" (read: Imperialism)
We've spent billions upon billions upon billions into a virtual foreign policy black hole that has NOT protected our national security any better than before the invasion or even before 9-11-01 (one of the many excuses justifying this war is that "Saddam was responsible for 9-11 attacks! He's developing nukes! We're gonna have mushroom clouds over our cities if we don't invade now!").
It's bad enough both Bush and Obama support continuing our current foreign policy of imperialism and nation-building. (check out some of Obama's expected appointments!)-including an upcoming war in Iran (supposedly because "they're developing nukes!")
All it has done is needlessly eliminated the lives of millions of civillians and military personnel while destroying our credibility to the rest of the world and putting our national security in even greater danger!